Hercules: The Legendary Journeys

The Siege at Naxos

Aired Monday 5:00 PM Sep 25, 1995 on USA

• A innocent fishing trip goes awry.

This is an entertaining little romp of an episode that starts (innocently enough) with a fishing trip for Hercules and Iolaus. But of course, an episode about fishing would be boring... well not really Xena pulled it off a couple of times. You can tell the writers/producers were real fond of it.

Anyway, the good times are interupted by a murder and Herc and Iolaus take it upon themselves to take the Barbarian Warrior to justice. Sounds easy enough except they find themselves persued by the Barbarian's army and end up Baracading themselves in a fort full of dead men in order to hold off the army. The plot was simple enough and fun enough to be entertaining, mostly due to the acting talent present. We have another "you're a girl" moment when Elora (gal-of-the-week) falls on Herc while attacking him. These are getting old after the Amazons, Xena, Atalanta, Oi-Lan etc. You'd think they'd be over finding women ready for battle. And even though it turns out she's not a warrior woman, the surprise is getting old. Still, she and her VERY amusing father turned out to be fun characters. As did Goth, who is (symbolically) the "spoiled favorite son" of his warrior band. Brian Tompson (who plays Goth) is well known for playing scary villians on shows like The X-Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, etc. But his brilliance here is shockingly in being annoying. I mean I knew the guy could look impossing, but I didn't know he could act. He played the annoying, spoiled, warrior jerk so well I couldn't help but smile and laugh throughout his performance. He also plays a smooth, slick talking bad boy with the gal-of-the week with the same ease. I was plesantly surprised to see him out of a "ultimate evil bad guy" role.

All in all, in fact, the episode was a fun easy watch and it's tottally one of my "re-watch for fun" episodes.