Hercules: The Legendary Journeys

The Wrong Path

Aired Monday 5:00 PM Jan 16, 1995 on USA

• Start of the series - could have been better.

Having already established the Hercules universe in the TV movies, little time is wasted on backstory, and we get right into the action on this one, which is good. I like Hercules and Iolaus' entrance into the tavern at the beginning, cheesy as it is.

What I don't like is the scene that follows. I mean, I do realise that with this being a family-friendly show, it can't keep to the original myth here (which is that Hera struck Hercules with madness and he slaughtered his family himself) but the fireball was a bit of an easy way out. Plus I agree with my co-reviewer, the so-called "grieving" scene was absolutely hideous, one of the worst I've seen in the series. Not all blame can be put on the actors, however; it was badly written. The dialogue is terrible!

It goes uphill from there, thankfully (where else could it go?), with Hercules going on his quest for vengeance and Iolaus going to do the right thing in his place... which gets him killed. Again. So Hercules has to abandon his desire for revenge to save Iolaus (and a bunch of other people) by doing the right thing after all, and he finds redemption. I liked that arc, that was well done.