Hercules: The Legendary Journeys

Two Men and a Baby

Aired Monday 5:00 PM Nov 03, 1997 on USA

• In this enjoyable episode, Nemesis, pursued by men working for Ares, claims that Hercules is the father of her newborn child. Herc and Iolaus end up fighting Ares, who is determined to have the gifted child for his own...

From the title of this episode, I expected it to be an all-out comedy episode. Instead, it is a mixture of comedy-drama, as was the case with many second season episodes, and is none the worse for it.

The story introduces Nemesis mark three, this time played by Kimberly Joseph. Of the three versions of the character seen in the series, I think I prefer the second (Theresa Hill) most of all, but this one isn't bad.

The episode also marks the first appearance in the series of Discord, having been first seen a couple of week's earlier in 'Xena: Warrior Princess'' 'The Deliver'.

The writers must have had babies on their minds at this point, as the previous 'Xena' episode 'Gabrielle's Hope' also revolved around a newborn.

It was actually Kevin Sorbo who suggested the idea of this episode to the producers, and he is credited as 'Story by' in the episode.

I really like the scenes of Hercules and Iolaus fishing by the river. It is one of the episodes that showcases their great rapport, and this is added to even more by the great scenery.

Herc and Iolaus also have some good scenes with the baby – even if you can tell that the baby is a dummy half of the time!
    Iolaus' laugh when Hercules gets sprayed in the 'nappy accident' seems to be real – maybe Michael Hurst really did find Sorbo getting sprayed in the face amusing.

One thing I did notice – in the climatic fight, there are several shots that were very clearly not Kevin Smith. Although the double work in the series is usually quite good, this is one of the few times that it really stuck out like a sore thumb.

Overall, an enjoyable episode.