Hercules: The Legendary Journeys

Under A Broken Sky

Aired Monday 5:00 PM Oct 09, 1995 on USA

7.2
  • Hercules reunites a parted husband and wife.

I don't know exactly how to feel about this episode. I didn't hate it and I thought the story of Hercules convinving this woman to leave the pleasure palace was done much better than the "stripper princess" in the Midas story, but it dropped the ball somewhere and I'm not sure where. I actually liked this episode and found it quite watchable in comparrison to some others. I adored that the beautiful Lucina loved an unlikely man and loved him for who he was as opposed to what he looked like, but I think the spirit of the man just seemed off. Even for a gentel soul type-character he seemed to much not right with Lucina. It wasn't his age at all, it was the spirit of the character. After all old Zeus was convincingly seductive with younger women in the Herc. movies. It just didn't work that she would fall for him I guess. Good story I suppose, just bad casting on the part of Atticus.
  • In this weak and uninteresting episode, a woman working at Salmoneus' pleasure palace is being sought by her loving husband, but the ruthless Pilot has other ideas. As per usual, it is up to Hercules to sort the situation out...

4.9
    Thus far this season, we have had a couple of excellent episodes ('The King of Thieves' and 'Siege at Naxos') mixed in with a batch of average ones. But this episode is the first real dud!

I found the way the characters were introduced in the story awkward, and took me some time to cotton on to what the plot was about, especially regarding farmer Atticus trying to win back his estranged wife Lucina, who is working in Salmoneus' cousin's den of iniquity. And exactly where the villains fit into the plot I wasn't sure at all. Maybe I was just so uninterested that I didn't really care.

The story is weak and uninteresting, and desperately cries out for a sub-plot of some kind to even things up a little. But as we start the second act, it becomes apparent that there isn't going to be much to liven up this dull tale. Salmoneus working at his cousin's pleasure palace surely had some scope, but little (beyond Salmoneus inventing drink mixers) is done with it. Not even the usually reliable Robert Trebor can liven this one up much.

The episode's guest casting also isn't much of note. Particularly with that of Lucina and Atticus, the pair seemed mismatched, and lack the spark needed for the story.

I'd go as far as to say that this is the weakest episode up until this point in the series.
HUB