Hercules: The Legendary Journeys

Under A Broken Sky

Aired Monday 5:00 PM Oct 09, 1995 on USA

7.2
  • In this weak and uninteresting episode, a woman working at Salmoneus' pleasure palace is being sought by her loving husband, but the ruthless Pilot has other ideas. As per usual, it is up to Hercules to sort the situation out...

4.9
    Thus far this season, we have had a couple of excellent episodes ('The King of Thieves' and 'Siege at Naxos') mixed in with a batch of average ones. But this episode is the first real dud!

I found the way the characters were introduced in the story awkward, and took me some time to cotton on to what the plot was about, especially regarding farmer Atticus trying to win back his estranged wife Lucina, who is working in Salmoneus' cousin's den of iniquity. And exactly where the villains fit into the plot I wasn't sure at all. Maybe I was just so uninterested that I didn't really care.

The story is weak and uninteresting, and desperately cries out for a sub-plot of some kind to even things up a little. But as we start the second act, it becomes apparent that there isn't going to be much to liven up this dull tale. Salmoneus working at his cousin's pleasure palace surely had some scope, but little (beyond Salmoneus inventing drink mixers) is done with it. Not even the usually reliable Robert Trebor can liven this one up much.

The episode's guest casting also isn't much of note. Particularly with that of Lucina and Atticus, the pair seemed mismatched, and lack the spark needed for the story.

I'd go as far as to say that this is the weakest episode up until this point in the series.
HUB