A Heroes Reborn Community
NBC (ended 2016)
Well, that title sums up the show, doesn't it. "We've got a project to bring back Heroes, and we'll add Reborn to the end of the title."

In any case, the season/volume/series finale features a lot of stuff happening. A lot of it is very rushed and out of left field. So typical Tim Kring, right? And indeed, it is written by Tim Kring, with an assist by Zach Craley. Whose main claim to fame is... being an assistant to Tim Kring on the original Heroes. And writing an episode of Touch. And he did a lot of work on the Dark Matters web series. So as Kring's former assistant, you can imagine how the writing room conversations went. "But Mr. Kring, this doesn't make any sens..." "Hah! Shut up, write what I tell you, and light me up another hundred-dollar bill!"

So Carlos takes the wounded Farah to an abandoned hospital, Micah uses his power to restore the electricity, and then Jose uses his power to take the bullet out. A bunch of refugees show up, and Carlos decided to help them as well. Whew, good thing Carlos made it through thirteen episodes! Because that's all he contributes to the plot.

Tommy is wandering around an Escherian computer construct of hallways, bumping into himself. We see about ten minutes of this, although Tommy will later describe it as "an eternity." Tommy meets himself, and his other-self unleashes some self-help psychobabble about how he can be in two places at once, because time is irrelevant in the Matrix... umm, I mean, the Evernow construct. He tells Tommy to remember his past, and we get what looks like bad PowerPoint effects, a little bit of new footage with Anne and a young Tommy, and a rehash of lots of previous scenes. Including Claire jumping off the Ferris wheel from the original Heroes. Take that, Hayden Panettiere, for sticking with Nashville instead of abandoning it for a sure-thing long-running moneymaker like Heroes Reborn!

During this Erica usurps Tommy's power with an intrusive mental tentacle (in the neck, not the nose!). It looks like Dr. Octopus is molesting the kid.

Anyway, sapping Tommy's power transports Gateway into the future. It's so easy you wonder why Erica didn't do this in the first place instead of the whole "I'm really a good person" con she was running on the kid. Anyway, this takes Ren and Emily along, because Ren still has a watch for reasons that are never explained from last week. They free Otomo, Otomo kills Richard by going all Toshiro Mifune on him, and Ren frees the real Miko. She has no idea who she is, and Otomo reveals that Ren is the greatest gamer of all time and he chose him because eventually he'd enter Evernow and free Tommy.

So Ren goes into Evernow and meets Katana Girl/Miko. Who... I thought was dead after killing Harris a couple of episodes ago. Anyway, Evernow is now falling apart for reasons I'm not clear on. Cue more cheesy 90s CGI (next season: Samurai Girl versus Leisure Suit Larry!) as Ren in his horrible avatar and Katana Girl fight their way into the fortress. They spend as much time jumping over derezzing pits as fighting faceless samurai, Ren gets to Tommy's prison, and frees him.

Meanwhile... Luke, Quentin, and Malina get to Gateway. They find a fallout shelter or something, Luke locks the other two away, and then becomes a living Kringism. His power isn't just absorbing sunlight and firing heat beams, but absorbing solar flares and dissipating them. And... levitating. Heat rises, I guess. So does my gorge. In any case, Luke destroys the first solar flare. You wonder why, in a world where there only seem to be 20 Evo powers, they couldn't find someone else with the same power to do the same thing on the second flare. But oh well.

In any case, Creepy Phoebe was left behind despite being Erica's ace in the hole. Because Erica is, you know, Stupid Evil alignment. Even if she didn't want to take Phoebe with her, why not shoot her? Or imprison her with the rest of her Evo menagerie? Anyway, Phoebe feel so bad about this that she decides to use her shadow powers on Malina and try to kill her. This forces Quentin to shoot Phoebe dead to save the girl he's known, what, 24 hours?

Meanwhile, back in the Matrix, Tommy has somehow learned that when he was a kid, Angela brought him and Malina together at Primatech. Turns out when the two of them touch, they unleash a super-burst of energy. But... they need someone to act as a conduit, which proves fatal to the willing conduit person. Angela had Rene wipe Tommy and Malina's memories of this, but like I said, somehow Tommy remembers this anyway. He ends up choosing Noah as the conduit, so he was the one who rescued Noah from the flying SUV a few episodes ago.

Anyway, Tommy blips out to rescue his friends when Ren frees him. We now get into some timey-wimey stuff. Tommy points out that Erica can't stop someone who can freeze time, and she points out that he needs to be in two different places at once to stop her, and threatens to shoot Anne and Emily. If he stops the HELE then the alternative future disappears and all of the Gateway people with it.

First of all, Tommy can still stop time and keep her from shooting anyone. Second, 7000+ years in the future and 2016 are not "at once." Tommy could hang out in the future for a decade and then go back to the moment in time when Malina needs him. Because, you know, time travel.

Anyway, Tommy realizes from his time in the Matrix that since he's had "an eternity" (all ten minutes of it, when he had no powers) to master his powers, he can be in two places at once. Erica says that even Hiro couldn't do that, which... isn't true. We just saw him go back to 2015 in the two-parter. Heck, thanks to Hiro, Noah was in two places at once and met himself.

Also, If Tommy is temporal fuguing, that means one of his selves is from the future. Which means that self knows how everything is going to go down, so he should tell his past self. Which would change the future-Tommy's past, which would prevent him from changing time, which would mean he would get summoned, but he wouldn't, but he would, but... oh, hell, temporal paradoxes give me a nosebleed.

Anyhoo, Tommy somehow creates a temporal duplicate of himself to go back to 2016 and stop the HELE. While he also stays in the "present" of the future Gateway, teleports his friends back to their own time, remove Erica's "travel through time" bracelet, and then plugs himself into the processor and sends the Gateway people back to the present except for Erica. Who is stuck in a now-nonexistent timeline with no one to show her dental work to. Either that, or she's planning on unhinging her jaw and hopes the rodent food supply doesn't run out.

Snakes can't open their jaws this wide!

In the present, Tommy takes Noah to the past to see the conduit thingy at Primatech. When he sees it, Noah is glad to sacrifice himself to save the world (and get off the show ten minutes early), he dies, and everyone is very sad.

Cue three months later. Quentin is in jail and lays a big speech on Agent Cutler (remember him?) about how Evos just want to stay low and are ordinary people, and will emerge again as heroes when the darkness rises. Cutler knows who Tommy is, and we'll see that Tommy is hanging out in public going about his normal life. Maybe Cutler should talk to him? Nah.

Ren and Miko are hitting each other with sticks at Otomo's dojo.

Carlos and Farah are a crimefighting team in LA, and Juan wants to join them. They start measuring him for a Robin costume, the one with the shorts.

Sorry to disappoint the millions of Taylor fans out there, but we don't find out what happened to her or her unborn Evo child.

Tommy is working with Emily at the ice cream shop. Malina is going to high school. A mysterious someone leaves them Tarot cards and an ominous feeling of being watched. Angela tells Malina that her father is back and this time no one can protect her and Tommy. Ruh-roh!

End of Volume

So Heroes Reborn ended on several downer notes. They killed off Noah! The fiends! Of course, after taking him out of the show for the last two episodes, the writing was on the wall for Mr. Coleman. Ditto for Zachary Levi, who never really had much to do.

Carlos... I have no idea why he was on the show. He pretty much had his own self-contained storyline that never touched on the main bit of saving the earth from solar flares. Ren and Quentin had bigger parts to play in the story than Carlos did. If they wanted normal humans, why did we need Carlos when we already had Ren and Quentin (and Emily, come to that).

I'll watch Dark Matters one of these days. But without it and maybe even with it, it was hard to feel much about losing Phoebe. Quentin lost his sister because she was an idiot and Erica was an idiot.

Basically it was another damn Petrelli story. It wasn't so much Heroes Reborn as Heroes Recycled. Maybe if they had given us new characters with a minimal connection to what went on before, it might have worked. But we had Noah. And an off-screen Claire. And Parkman. And Hiro. And Angela. And Mohinder. And then they couldn't get Panettiere, so there wasn't much of a point to the Petrelli/Bennet angle even if there was a point to it in the first place.

Make a clean break from the past, folks. Or give us more Evos. We had ten main characters, and only three of them were Evos: Luke, Tommy, Malina. Way to give us a show about Evos where only three of the main people were Evos. What's wrong with this picture?

(I'm not including Miko since at the end of the day, she was the creation of an Evo, not an Evo.)

And we got the same old tired X-Men trope of Evos being hunted because they're different, and the next step of the evolutionary ladder, yada yada.

And let's not forget nose hentai!

So overall, it's hard to see how Heroes Reborn could have ever succeeded. A show about Evos with only 30% of the important characters being Evos. And building it around a character when the actress who played that character had the smarts to stay away.

Still, someone will probably try to bring it back in another 10-20 years. Let's hope they learned from the mistakes of Heroes Reborn and do things differently.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. For the last time concerning this show, what do you think?
61 Comments
Comments (61)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
May 12, 2016
How did Ren get to the future? We saw him giving his information to a lady to get his watch, and the same lady give Emily her watch, but Ren never got one, and then he and Emily went off together to look for Tommy. But here Ren was, miraculously with a watch. How did that happen?

Also... what exactly *was* Malina's power?
Flag
Feb 02, 2016
Was it just me or did the guy in the abandoned hospital scene carrying his daughter look EXACTLY like erica kravitzs rapist and her daughter....? (The one that talked about the pileup after Farah woke up)
Flag
Feb 02, 2016
I am (not) ashamed to say that I moderately liked this finale. Of course we can't rule out the possibility that it was mostly the feeling of relief over this particular journey coming to an end, but it all seemed to resonate better than most of the episodes that came before. It almost made me wish to see the continuation, but oh well.

The conduit idea was a fair enough twist (who had to act as one less so), many of the time travel shenanigans were wrapped up in a neat enough way (at least compared to the mess it was during the original run; one wouldn't need to look far to start finding holes in the whole thing in general), and as an avid gamer I think I just had a soft spot for that entire Katana Girl subplot (despite its overbearing silliness).

I know that every other aspect of the show that deserved criticism had already been criticized at length by observant people, so I'll just limit myself to upvoting all valid points and thanking Gislef for taking up the reviewing mantle once TV.com said enough.

Perhaps one day someone will tackle the concept Heroes stand on again, with more satisfying results.
More+
Flag
Feb 02, 2016
My main problem with any future Heroes revival is that... without the Petrellis, the Bennets, time travel, and power absorption, what else is there that someone else (Agents of SHIELD, Jessica Jones, Powers) isn't doing better?

And I don't want to see the Petrellis, the Bennets, time travel, and power absorption again. Time travel and power absorption are like the ultimate plot copouts. When Tommy (or Hiro, or Sylar, or Peter) can do practically anything and are all but unstoppable (except for nose shunts!), what drama is there in resolving a major threat?

All the writers can do is top what has come before. So Tommy has to be more powerful than Hiro, and Sylar, and Peter.

I'd rather see a No Ordinary Family or The Cape revival. Hell, at least there was some original world-building with both shows, and they weren't dependent on time travel and power absorption for their storylines. No Ordinary Family did a better job of normal people getting superpowers and what to do with them, than Heroes has ever done.
Flag
Jan 31, 2016
&_& The last three episodes were painful to watch but I guess the "save the cheerleader, save the world" quote still holds precedence. She had to be saved in order to bear some kids that will eventually save the world...

Tarot card-wielding dad, huh? I'm intrigued but I can say farewell to the Heroes saga.
Flag
Jan 30, 2016
One thing I didn't get about finale....how was Angela so "young" at end? When Tommy/Nathan travels in past (was it even past..I forgot) to meet Angela,she is grey/white haired and...well old. Then at finale she was "young" again..her old self. Yeah it could be again some time travel shit,but it was just weird.
Flag
May 12, 2016
I figured she'd just started dyeing her hair (again?), now she wasn't living at the convent and was back out in the world.
Flag
May 12, 2016
Look at her face...hair isnt the only thing different. She was younger at end.
Flag
Jan 31, 2016
I didn't get that either. By that point anyway I was convinced the writers were not even trying
Flag
Jan 31, 2016
Or hair dye.
Flag
Jan 28, 2016
Did anyone else think it kinda weird that they would choose to kill their own grandfather when they could have really done a big F*ck you to Erica and could have time traveled and used her as the conduit, or an extra. Also how come tommy and melina could hug each other afterwards without there being and effect
Flag
Jan 31, 2016
Yes, that was awlful writing. Not a single reason given for why it had to be Bennet. Even why there had to be a conduit was explained in a 2 minute flashback. Not setup at all.

But that was also just one of many poor writing choices. If we discovered that Kring and writers organised this to be a 'F*** you' to fans who complained about previous Heroes, I would not be surprised
Flag
Jan 28, 2016
Nice review, and I've enjoyed reading them all through this season, more so than the show in fact - I think there is something about sharing how disappointing the show has been which was quite nice.

But I cant believe i actually watched this whole thing from start to finish. I am feeling a mixture of guilt (for willingly putting myself through 13 hours of nonsensical BS) and betrayal (by the damn writers). My conclusion is that all the writers should be fired; the quality was so poor and so so so so lazy. In the end I was just watching it in a 'it's so hilariously bad kinda way'.

I can't even be bothered to go into it but they had so much potential to make this with a brand new cast and a plot line that did not rely on the first series. What a waste.
Flag
Jan 27, 2016
It was absolutely dreadful. What a waste time. As xsillent said, as soon as it was evident Tim Kring was running it, it was clear not was actually understanding what was wrong with the original show. Tim had a good idea. Nothing else he did was good for the show.
Flag
Jan 27, 2016
You can fix Heroes in 5 seconds by firing Tim Kring. I knew the reboot would be a failure with him leading it again.
Flag
Jan 27, 2016
The Petrelli/Bennet families are basically the Skywalkers of Heroes. And as we all know about Star Wars:

Flag
Jan 27, 2016
I'm not sure that Kring really "lead" it. I suspect they paid him to use his name, and to write a series bible. He showed up for the first and last episodes, but for the 11 episodes in-between, he left it all up to the writers.

The show improved slightly when they brought in old Heroes hands Nora Kay Foster and Adam Armus as consulting producer during the two-parter. Of course, that was also when they started hauling in the original Heroes cast.

One problem is that without the whole Petrelli/Bennet mess, Heroes isn't really Heroes., reborn or otherwise It's just rehashed X-Men/Alphas/Powers Heroes might have been hot-shit back in the late 2000s, but Marvel and others have done the job much better since then. When you can watch Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Powers, or Agents of SHIELD/Agent Carter... do you really need Heroes?

The TV superhero genre has moved on, and Kring and/or the NBC executives are 8 years behind the curve.
Flag
Jan 27, 2016
AMEN BROTHER!! The writers were too afraid to start fresh. They needed some of the old characters to push the new narrative. One of the problems this new series had was the new evos were just not that interesting. The only time Heroes Reborn got intriguing was when the old characters were on screen.
Remember when Heroes was the NBC's answer to LOST?
I wonder if the big boys at ABC are taking a look at the this and the Xfiles reboot and wondering can we get back into the Lost business??
Coming Soon?? Lost 2=The Islands Revenge!!
God forbid....
Flag
Jan 27, 2016
I got the impression that most of the writers weren't afraid. As much as they were under orders to follow what Kring wrote in his series bible because that's what the NBC execs laid out big money for. So if Kring wrote, "Renautus uses these nose shunts that keep Evos from using their powers, and they use them a lot," then by god, every writer had to include a scene with someone getting a nose shunt pulled out of their nose.

Likewise, if Kring wrote, "Okay, Tommy is going to be Claire's son, and have power absorption powers, and becomes even more powerful than Hiro," the writers shrugged their shoulders, did the minimum necessary to get that across, cashed their paychecks, and fed their families. If how time travel worked in the earlier episodes didn't work like it did in the last couple of episodes... well, hey, nobody said the writers had to talk to each other.
Flag
Jan 25, 2016
Sometimes, okay, I have a bunch of stories that I have in my head where I have a lot of set up and then I know what the end game of the story is, but getting there. That is the challenge. As a result, I haven't ever put out any of the stories out there. But somehow, I apparently could have sold a series to NBC. (I have this fantasy story going which involves several pov characters, not a lot, only three with maybe some asides along the way, and I had a pleasant time with my first of my primary POV characters that when I finished with his telling how he got where he is and, hey, that is interesting, I had to get to my main other two characters, my issue is one of them is my narrator who I actually know at about the half way point of this book, I'm killing and she is actually telling this story from her weird position beyond the grave, but there are key events in her life and eventually this person who is technically her cousin who I envision being the hero of this story, but I don't know her at all).

The governor of my state's state of the state address intruded into this show and I haven't had the slightest urge to go back, so I missed Luke's death. I wondered where he was for a bit and am left with, gosh, its too bad Tommy/Nathan never knew about Luke's powers, that might have been more useful and also, Luke conceivably would have survived. But anyway. Yeah, Carlos, huh?

The web series was a pleasant coherent story of a brother and sister who cared about each other and respected each other who happened to be pulled into a grand conspiracy because the sister wanted to assert her own rights. The characters made sense, were on normal trajectories and I was actually excited that Quentin was going to be our entrance back into this world. He was a little excitable, but he was also determined. You were actually upset for the Phoebe who went missing, her power started as a cute play of shadows and grew to encompass a force that terrified her.
More+
Flag
Jan 25, 2016
Great review!

Hey, I can be in two places at the same time. At two o'clock yesterday I was home and at two o'clock I was at the movies, except that the second two o'clock was today. I'm an evo!

Ren meets Katana girl even after she is dead because time has no meaning in Evernow and it was before the time she met Ren--she says she has a feeling they will still meet, so time does seem to have some small meaning there after all.

If there was a second season of Heroes Recycled, Jack Coleman and the other high-paying actors would be out of the picture, and it would just be the new generation. I guess Tim Kring figured the audience would have already grown attached to the new people.

You really should watch Dark Matters. it's the only time I liked Phoebe and Quentin, their best work. Of course, the best time to watch it would have been *before* HR started, when there was still some hope it would be good.

Just one last thing. Why is North America so special it gets its very own, brand-new solar flare? Not flair. I mean, fair. In favor of equality, I demand a solar flare for South America as well.
More+
Flag
Jan 25, 2016
But Angela, Mohinder, Parkman, and Micah are still around. And we never did find out what happened to Hiro. And they'd probably pay someone else from the original series to come back. So I suspect if we had had a second season, we would have still had some of the old guard. It's not like Cristine Rose was going anywhere.
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
Also, maybe i missed something on the whole time-travel thing, but didn't they contradict themselves? (Heh, like that's a surprise.)

When Hiro took Noah back, and Noah altered time by creating the new chain of events where Quentin saved Erica and became her stooge, and told her about Tommy and Malina...

... that created a new second timeline. Something new happened that we hadn't seen before, because someone changed the past.

But... when Tommy rescued Noah, we saw it happen. Which meant that it always happened, and it was part of the "chain of history." We didn't know that it was Tommy (supposedly). But we know that Noah survives because a time traveler comes back and changes the timelline.

So just like there was originally a timeline where Quentin didn't work for Erica and Renautus... shouldn't there have two timelines? One where Noah is crushed by a car, and another where Tommy saves him (to kill him)? But we never got the first timeline.
Flag
Jan 29, 2016
I get what you're saying, but maybe it's possible that in the first case, something really did change the timeline, and in the second case, it's as you said, it was something that simply always happened?

I don't know. I'm not crazy about the whole "two different timelines” possibility anyway, but clearly it IS a thing in the Heroes' universe because we saw that there really was a future in which the world had been destroyed, and then later we saw Nathan and Malina prevent that future.

How this is compatible with time being a "circle" as Nathan himself says, I have no idea -- nor, I suspect, do the writers.
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
Let me put it this way, "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" it was not.

That being said, this was an okay story to watch with lowered expectations. Served its purpose and, while it did kill several of its original characters, it didn't bother to give new viewers any reason to connect with these old characters so its impact was kind of lost.

It was entertaing enough, but it wasn't the fast-paced-answers-promising-Lost-wannabe that Heroes was back in the day.
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
First, I think this is the most hilarious recap you've ever did :)

Second, oh boy was there so much fail.
Can't get into each and every one of them (cause you know, our sun will explode in about 6 million years)

But here's a start:

1) Didn't they tell in the past and in the Previously On Heroes Reborn section of the episode, that Tommy's power is to steal other Evo's power and that is why he should never ever touch Meleena? Isn't that the whole point of why Angela and Hiro split them up and never had them meet?
Now we find that they did meet and the reason they can't touch is because of that whatever it was? HUH?

2) So what the heck is this wonder twin power activation? Tommy is a power stealer and Melina controls nature or something. What's with that electric blast out of nowhere?
I know people (and our very own recapper) constantly asked why are those 2 needed to save the world but geesh... I'm pretty sure fan fiction writers will have better explanation than this.

3) What's worst about #2 is that the whole thing is treated like magic. They need the chosen kids to stand at the chosen hour with a specific individual who is "pure of heart and will sacrifice himself"
Really? No, this show is supposed to be about Science.
Tommy, get your teleporting time travel ass to find Suresh and ask him for a scientific way of conducting whatever it was to stop the flares.

4) Since when can Micha generate electricity?

5) Even for its final moments this show dumped another prophecy that Noah will have to sacrifice himself? Seriously? They can't go on 5 seconds without using "X does Y because prophecy says so?"

6) Too many epic fails of time paradoxes and things that Tommy should have done. But above all - how did he know where and when Nathan died?

7) So the kids father is meant to be the cliffhanger? Am I the only one that pondered if they were going (since we'll never know) to make it that the kids' father is Sylar? Though no way in heck will Quinto touch this garbage now.

8) Yeah, not a single word on Taylor, even though she was the only compelling new character? Carlos and Luke seemed like they were basically shoved in as nothing more than eye candy or something.

And since they basically stopped the flares, doesn't that mean that Matt Parkman is totally free?

9) Overall, the entire series was terrible. The main villain (Erica) was absolutely terrible. She was supposed to be dangerous due to her "resources" but she didn't actually have any. A millionaire is supposed to have for start endless amount of henchmen yet she was counting solely on Harris for that.

Her machine lets her steal Evos powers so she can use Molly to track evos but doesn't bother absorbing other evos she clearly had access to like Matt Parkman?

We also never got any word on why don't any of the evos just hurt or stop Erica on their own. She isn't immune to powers so Matt could just control her, Micah could instantly bankrupt her (the kid fixed a general election once), Luke could toast her, Farah could stab her in the middle of the night and Tommy could literally send her to the stoneage.

We are never given any reason to think that she is a threat. In fact, she wasn't. She just wanted to not stop a flare?
Really?

What a huge difference between her and that colonel guy in the original show season 3b.

Other than that, characters were flat. There was virtually no plot just a bunch of random prophecies of X go to Y. As I said, the original show used this device but they did it in moderation.
More+
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
"4) Since when can Micha generate electricity?"

I'd assume that he used his power to reroute downed power lines, or turn on the emergency generator, or some such.
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
Bad story, bad acting (even the original cast didn't live up to the expectations), in two words absolutely awful: thank God, it's over! I just really hope nobody tries to bring it back, ever!

And last but not least; Hayden, you were 100% right when you refused to be part of this nonsense-rebirth!!!
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
I don't know if anyone else would agree with me on this but I think the reason why the show lost it purpose was time travel (there was just too much of it?) instead of Tim kring focusing on bringing out more evos who could have saved the world as well as Tommy he focused on the time travel, totally blocking out other characters from doing much of anything in the show (Carlos and his gang). Another thing, why didn't Tommy just learn more about his power absorbing ability like Peter petrelli from the first heros series.... He could have just learned to absorb and control more than just one ability, bring more evos together to save the world and there you would have a perfect ending to the series showing how evos saved the world with some help from normal humans coming together bravely to stand against Hele, or maybe even a standoff to end it all between team Erica and team whoever wants to save the world nottjust Tommy and his twin sister
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
The problem with using timey-wimey stuff as a solution to the plot is that there are no rules (at least, none that we know of), so a writer can make whatever they want up. Tommy needs to create two of himself to "win"? No problem! Tommy needs to go back in time to save Noah, to bring Noah to the HELE so that he can sacrifice himself to save the world? No problem.
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
I'm reading comments on TVLine and many of the people there seem to LOVE the reboot! One thing they suggested was that it was great how the show finally addressed why "save the cheerleader, save the world" ever meant anything... because it meant ultimately that Claire's children would save the world.

But is this satisfying to anyone? I mean, after season 1 ended, I WAS confused by this because it was a question that never seemed answered. But now it sort of ended up not having anything to do with Claire really, for obvious reasons. Not to mention that Heroes was usually praised for being fast-paced and resolving questions quickly (many people criticized Lost for being the opposite) but it took almost 10 years to answer this question!?
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
Such a conclusion also seems kinda meaningless. They might as well have said, "Save the Guy With the Glasses, Save the World." Or "Save the Old Woman With Prophetic Visions, Save the Worl.d." Their grandchildren and great-grandchildren saved the world, too.
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
Umm.... The question was answered long ago.

Originally, the idea was that if Sylar kills Clare, he becomes immortal and unstoppable. If he had the power back then, when they confronted him in season 1 finale, he wouldn't be injured by anything they did to him, so he would steal all of their powers and become totally evil dictator like he was in the future.
Flag
Jan 24, 2016
Hmm, maybe. But even that doesn't directly involve Claire. Plus, we've seen Claire die, so Sylar wouldn't have been totally invincible.
Flag
Jan 24, 2016
About Claire dying and all... Tim Kring obviously doesn't care about maintaining even the slightest bit of internal logic in his narrative. In the original series, EVO powers don't even show up till puberty or later, yet somehow a baby in utero is able to steal Claire's healing ability so she dies in childbirth. I could perhaps accept that the presence of twins somehow activates (cue "Wonder twins activate!" jokes) Nathan/Tommy's latent ability but Kring never bothers trying to explain this discrepancy.

And in this finale, we find out the twins could kill each other if they remain in contact for too long as show by what happens when they touch hands. You know, that whole spiel about needing a sacrificial conduit. Yet right afterward, we see Tommy put his hand on Malina's neck with nary a spark seen.

Bottom line, with Kring writing this mess, we shouldn't expect any logical consistency. The reviewer and commenters have already pointed out the many fails in this final episode alone. Such a disappointment since the first season of the original Heroes series was quite good in my opinion.
Flag
Jan 24, 2016
For the record, the original show wasn't consist on this matter either. On the one hand, at one point they say that powers only activate after a solar flare (or eclipse? don't recall). Which is why everyone's powers were activated simultaneously.

On the other hand, in the last (and horrible) season, they said that Samuel's powers activated instantly the moment he was born. So there are exceptions.
Flag
Jan 24, 2016
How does it not involve Claire? With her powers he wouldn't be injured by Hiro's sword and so he could have fought on and killed everyone there.

That was the injury that caused him to fall down and run into hiding.
Flag
Jan 24, 2016
Hiro never said "Save the Cheerleader cause she'll do something" he only said "Save the cheerleader"

As for people not getting it... Well, people haven't gotten a lot of things. I don't recall the writers ever being haunted down with this question ever since.

They did get chased down on other issues, like Gwen being stuck in the future.
Flag
Jan 24, 2016
I just mean that it didn't involve Claire actually doing anything herself. In fact, it really meant everyone *else* doing everything to protect her.

But the bigger issue is this. All those people who are claiming that Heroes Reborn finally answered this question apparently don't see your theory as the answer, so there isn't even agreement on the resolution to this plot point.

Granted, I like your idea better since it means that the question actually was answered in season one, but it wasn't at all clear (or satisfying). I enjoyed season one, but the resolution seemed like a mess.
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
It was like watching a student film, only with better sets and effects... The acting, plot and characters were TERRIBLE!!
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
Only if they took the time and wrote something better, even the fan fiction might have worked.
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
I guess I'm the odd one out here. I loved it, but now I'm so curious about who their birth father is. I'm sure that they're going to have comics or something to explain it to us. I still never did read all those other ones from original Heroes. There were so many and they were so short.
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
Unless the father is Sylar, I genuinely don't see what kind of danger it could pose for either of them.
Flag
Jan 24, 2016
I thought about that. But then I'm like why in the world would Clair sleep w/Sylar?! But then they did have a brief "connection" at some point. But eww!

Or maybe it's some heretofore unnamed Evo baddie. Which we will have to hope is revealed to us in some other format.
Flag
Jan 24, 2016
The twins combined are just too powerful, let alone how resilient they are while separated. There's no one that could pose a believable threat for them but Sylar.
Flag
Jan 25, 2016
Yep, true. You're probably right ionee24.
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
I really love the finale over than the fact that Carlos is still around and entirely useless. The show was a mess from the insane scheduling decisions to the special effects quality that went up and down worse than a pre-safety regulations rollercoaster but there were sparks here and there Ren and Miko worked for me, Tommy was ok. That little bit at the end made me think of what could have been and at least it did make sense that the twins' father had never been mentioned before then because he was EVIL. Maybe they will make it into a comic like Buffy, Smallville, Star Wars etc.
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
Ren and Miko were always good: so were Ren and Emily. Tommy was okay until the finale, when he suddenly started get all snarky and smirking. Like his little tossing a salute to Erica before blipping off for the last time. Sheesh guy, rub it in a little. Particularly since you were dumb enough to fall for her line.
Flag
Jan 22, 2016
Love your reviews Gislef! My big question is this: Nathan's power wasn't actually time travel, it was the ability to absorb other powers. So not only does this raise the question of why he never absorbed any other powers in his roughly sixteen years, but why was he allowed to be near and touch Malina in the finale, both as children and as adults? Why didn't he take her power either time? Maybe most importantly, why was this never addressed by the writers!?
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
Nathan before he got his memories removed did A LOT of training under Hiro I'm guessing he probably trained to not take powers too. And it seems from the experiment back at Primatech that he wasn't pulling powers randomly at that time.
Flag
Jan 22, 2016
Thanks!

While it was never addressed, my assumption would be that at some point as he matured, Tommy learned not to randomly absorb powers.

Alternately, maybe he had Hiro's power for so long that it became ingrained into him and became "his" power.

The latter would seem to jibe with all the hype of Tommy being the new Master of Time and Space. "Kid with the Power to Steal the Power of The Master of Time and Space" just doesn't as impressive.
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
My guess is that the writers hadn't thought of any of this and just wanted to created a "ah ha! twist" thing about Tommy actually having Hiro's power.
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
Ha ha! I guess that's about the best explanation we can expect! It certainly seemed like the writers just forgot about this little detail! :-)
Flag
Jan 22, 2016
Tbh, I thought this was a good way to end the series, but then that cliffhanger happened, and now I wish it wasn't ending. Also, I think Heroes would be better off with 13 episode seasons instead of 22-24. I still don't understand how a time traveler can be in two places at once. And no, it's not the same as Noah being in two places at once, because 2014 Noah did not have the knowledge of 2015 Noah, until they ran into each other. However, I did somewhat see this concept in action in a DSiWare game called Chronos Twins (very difficult game, still haven't finished it). And, while it was totally badass to watch Tommy split himself in two, I still don't understand why it was necessary. He didn't have to split himself to save his mom and friends. And the other people that he transferred over, heck, they were probably assholes anyway, they didn't need to be saved. But whatever, the world is saved, Matt Parkman is saved, it's all good.
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
Also , in fairness, Erica doesn't say what exactly is is Tommy has to do that Hiro wasn't able to do, other than "be in two places at once." She doesn't mention that one Tommy has to know the same things as the other.

So it may not be the same, but Erica never says that it has to be.
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
The people at Gateway were sort out in order to make a decent gene pool so I'm thinking that 90% of them weren't complicit in all the stuff they got up they were innocent people too so they had to be saved.

So he had to save the world and take the future city back at the same time because cardinal rule of Heroes time travel is don't go back over your own timeline. That is why he popped Noah in to watch the experiment but stayed away until his past self moved on before heading there to get his grandfather.
Flag
Jan 22, 2016
Matt could still starve or bleed to death. Hope springs eternal.

I'd say it the same as Noah being in two places at once. We just know where the second Noah came from. We don't know where in the timeline the second Tommy came from. There's not really any other way it can work.

There are various examples of "temporal fuguing" in comics, books, movies, etc. Heck, it's a big part of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures. My favorite is Flashback from Marvel Comics. He creates hundreds of duplicates by pulling them out of his future to his present, and then overwhelms his opponent. Problem is when one of them gets killed...
Flag
Jan 23, 2016
Yeah, after thinking about it, I understand how it works now. Problem is, the show doesn't bother to explain so many vital things (like what exactly Malina's power is [I'm guessing she's the Avatar xD ] ), and someone like me has to think about exactly how it plays out realistically. I guess all Tommy has to do is hit up one or more of his past selves, and boom, two or more places at once. It's like when I thought about bloodbending well before the skill was confirmed on The Last Airbender.
Flag
Staff
Jan 22, 2016
THANK YOU GISLEF!!!
Flag
Jan 22, 2016
You owe me for 13 episodes of torture. ;)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members