A Heroes Reborn Community
NBC (ended 2016)
So, we're back to the present. And one of the first things we get is... Carlos with that damned thing stuck up his nose.

Sorry, but as I may have mentioned, I'm tired of long loving shots of people with tubes stuck up their noses. Are they chemical? Electrical/neurological? What? I guess Kring just likes the imagery of nasal tubing, because the tubing is never explained. Whatever floats your boat, dude.

So we find out that the big cliffhanger of Carlos passing out from Dearing's magical potion (where he hid God knows where after Carlos presumably searched him) was... just Carlos passing out from the potion. Now he's all better. Oh. Okay then. Can you say "bait and switch," boys and girls? I knew you could.

Anyway they break into Sunstone Manor and Dearing makes the rookie mistake of not checking your back while beating up on senior-citizen guards. Really, check the dude's white hair below. So a receptionist jabs a 1-2" needle into Dearing's neck, which is one of those things that I suspect can only be done safely in movies and TV.

Anyway, it turns out that Matt Parkman is the "Director" of Sunstone, and presumably is using his mental hoodoo to keep the prisoners happy and peaceful by giving them mental images of what they most desire. Wasn't Parkman supposed to be a good guy? Refused to shoot Noah last week and all? Here's he's banally making sandwiches and mentally torturing people and/or forcing them to kill themselves. (Goodbye, Dearing!) Which would be more impressive if John Hamm hadn't done practically the same thing almost a year ago in Black Mirror.

Anyway, Parkman finds out that Carlos has some vague connection to Farah, and Parkman knows who Farah is, so that's it this episode for that plotline.

Also. Renautas is now filtering for time traveling Evos. Ummm, how do they do that? Unless the Evo is obliging enough to announce that's what they can do, one might mistake them for teleporters if they're dumb enough to publicly display their powers. And unless they're as scrupulous as Hiro, I think they'd never get caught. "Hey, wait, you're a time trav..." *Accuser disappears and never existed, because Evo immediately travels back in time, finds out when and where his accuser was born, smothers the accuser when they were a baby in the crib, then blips back a millisecond later.*

Sure, maybe we're all lizard men or Nazis with bad haircuts because the time traveler stepped on the wrong butterfly, but we won't care because from our POV we've always been lizard men or Nazis with bad haircuts.

Anyway, Taylor dyes her head red and Hero Truther picks her up. After a brief bit with a very well-informed shapeshifter posing as Erica, it turns out that Rene the Haitian is somehow alive in the new timeline, and they want Taylor to break into Sunstone to get Micah Sanders out. Remember him? We don't see him this week except in photos. So presumably Taylor and Micah are going to meet up, and Taylor will meet up with Carlos. Bringing all of them into the fold together.

Erica chats with Richard about Gateway, which is her future city, and shoots a deer. And harasses a chef about making venison until she grabs his knife and does it herself, getting her hands bloody in the process.

Cle Bennett's facial expressions during this scene are priceless, by the way. Kind of "You gotta be shittin' me that I'm standing here watch an actress tear apart a deer with a knife." I can always count on Mr. Bennett to subtly convey his humor in any absurd scene, whether it's pulling tubing out of his nose for what seems like five minutes, or watching a co-star cut up a fake deer.

Meanwhile, Tommy is blipping around Carbondale, and Joanne finally gets there and takes Emily prisoner at the ice cream shop. (Hence the title, I guess.) Luke and Malina also arrive there, and Malina does jack-all while Luke fires a solar blast at Joanne, who shoots Emily. Tommy is there and stops time, using Hiro's first power last. In any case, he saves Joanne (bad move) and moves the bullet away from Emily even though it doesn't look like it was going to hit her (see below). And then teleports back to the hospital to get Noah.

Unfortunately, freezing time is too late to save poor Caspar, who valiantly sacrifices his briefcase of pennies (not the pennies!) to get Joanne to shoot him. Does that mean that Caspar "cashed out"? *rim shot* Thanks, ladies and germs, I'll be here all week. Tip your waiter and try the veal.

Have we ever learned where Joanne got her training from? Because she puts a bullet right between Caspar's eyes when he's a moving target. And hit the invisible woman and superspeed old guy back in episode 1. Maybe Joanne was a 00 agent in a past life, going by her British accent. Believe me, I've practiced for years on my private preserve, the Zaroff Memorial Hunting Grounds, and it's not easy shooting a man between the eyes!

There's also a blatant continuity glitch, or Tommy is practicing his time-freezing powers before the supposed first time he manifests them. Because when Joanne first points her gun at him, he's standing near Emily.

And then a quick camera cut, and he's standing further counter-clockwise from Emily and Joanne has instantly rotated 90 degrees to her left. Bad move, director. Even Judy Shekoni looks confused. Hey, I'm a tv.com editor, I notice these things. Kids, don't try this at home.

Anyway, Quentin and Phoebe show up at the hospital and, now that Tommy and Noah are reunited, capture Tommy after Phoebe uses her power to... do whatever she does. Negate Tommy's power, I guess, even though it's not at all dark when he first discovers that he can't use his power. So she generates darkness, nullifies powers, blows out lightbulbs, and can't use shampoo & conditioner on her hair. There's a coherent power set for you.

And is it just me, or does Kring give his characters uber-powers and then other writers take turns figuring out ways to negate them so they can write a decent story? Cripes, Joanne and Luke took out half a dozen Evos with guns and a fire extinguisher. Sometimes there seem to be as many ways to negate Evos as there are Evo powers. Big nose tubes, little nose tubes, guns, big-ass hypodermic needles, Tommy's fetal power absorption, Phoebe's power...

Anyway, Noah finds out that Caspar is dead, goes to the ice cream shop, and is finally reunited with Malina, his granddaughter.

The episode ends with Erica inviting Tommy to a venison dinner while Creepy Phoebe continues neutralizing his powers. And Erica offers to show the teenager how to fulfill his destiny. "Mrs. Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?" Eww.

Oh, and after the ending, there's another ending. Miko is sitting in a desert one million years in the future (best Dr. Evil voice), meditating and having butterflies landing on her. Okay, it's 7,957 years in the future, but when you're talking numbers that big, they're pretty much meaningless. In any case, she starts walking seemingly at random (maybe the butterfly tipped her off?) and comes to what appears to be Erica's Gateway city. How Miko got there, I guess we'll find out next week. Hopefully.

So at least things moved along this week. Although time and space still seem to be manipulated by the writers rather than Hiro. It's not just that the characters are separated, but there's relatively little effort to place where they are. To compare it to Sense8, the cinematography just isn't strong enough to let me know where the characters are most of the time. Taylor is in LA. Sunstone Manor is presumably within driving distance of LA but it doesn't feel that way. Malina came down from the Arctic, hitched a ride on a truck through Canada, finds Luke at a dock, and they drive to Carbondale, IL. Credit where credit is due: the scene with her and Luke talking about movies was cute.

Erica is at her luxury home in... Meridian, I guess hunting wabbits (she's vwery vwery quiet) and deer that stray into her backyard.

Several of the characters come together... and then run off or get taken. Luke finds Joanne, Joanne finds Harris, Noah loses Tommy, Noah finds Malina. Quentin loses Tommy. Quentin finds Tommy. These people don't need a plan, they need a Lost & Found department.

There's a feel that the spiral is slowly tightening and things are coming together. But it's all put down to "Destiny," which even Luke and Malina lampshade at one point. In this case, "Destiny" seems to be another word for "Writer Contrivance." And in case we forget, Mohinder will be there at the beginning and end of the episodes to tell us about it in portentous voiceover.

They killed Caspar, who was one of the few interesting and likable characters, and brought back Rene, which seems like a lousy trade to me. How did the alternate timeline play out that he wasn't killed? And what is so damned fascinating about Mohinder's book?

Overall, it was just... another episode of Heroes Reborn. Cool ending one million years in the future, I suppose. But Tim Kring has never lacked for cool endings. He's good at imagery, I'd never deny it. It's pulling it all together in the weeks and months afterward, and explaining it, that has always been his problem.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. What do you think?
40 Comments
Comments (40)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Nov 17, 2015
The episode was ok.

The feeling i am getting is that Kring doesn't really know what he's doing along with the writers. The show isn't really that compelling at the moment and i am afraid the show will go downward and won't live to see season 2.

I hope not, the show has so much potential, but they kinda screw it over themselves.
Flag
Nov 17, 2015
The impression I get is that Kring wrote a series bible, and said, "Okay, Tommy is uber-powerful, and Malina is uber-powerful, and Harris can generate an infinite number of clones, and Dearing is really really strong and they need to immobilize him somehow but I'm not sure how. And... I want time travel and magnetic pole reversal and solar flares and a big threat to humanity."

And the NBC execs paid him a ton of money to write this all down, and he went off to enjoy his new pool he was having built. And the execs told the series writers, "Okay, you have to follow these big outlines and do everything that Kring said. Everything else is up to you."
Flag
Nov 19, 2015
Yes probably, but as the show is going now, it's not going to end well for the show imo. I love heroes, and it saddens me that they can't just put some more time in writing the show better.
Flag
Nov 17, 2015
Great, though a little confusing, episode.
We get to see the effects, none of them good, of Noah stepping on butterflies. Quentin should be dead, instead he is alive selling the planet to Erika Kravid. Talking about Kravid the attempt on her life made her even more despicable and dark. And now she has Nathan and Hiro's powers along with him.
We saw Rene alive, since he was not the one who erased Noah's memory Noah did not kill him trying to get them back.
That whole showdown at Moe's was a little strange to me. For starters how come Luke did not lose his powers since Nathan and Malina were close together? I mean, they took away Hiro's powers when they were close together as babies but they couldn't do the same with Luke? That calls for an explanation. Also it is too much of a coincidence Luke and his wife (or ex-wife) going the same direction after all that happened.
Anyway, as if it was not confusing enough we jump 7957 years in the future to discover that Katana Girl did not burst into a trillion of pixels after freeing Hiro but jumped more than the time traveler from Wells' novel. I wonder if she is going to find Elois in that city.
More+
Flag
Nov 17, 2015
I would have liked it if they held up on the time traveling aspect of things for awhile, Its starting to confuse me. Its making it hard to develop attachment to new characters. I cant say that i really understand any of there motives and personalities to make a good judgment call on weather or not i like them. Get it together heroes!
Flag
Nov 16, 2015
I will say that this ran through my head when Tommy/Nathan stopped time:

Flag
Nov 16, 2015

Flag
Nov 15, 2015
I haven't particularly liked this season so far, but I really enjoyed June 13th part 2. In my opinion, it was the only good episode so far of Heroes Reborn. It tied things together well, which I think Tim Kring is really good at. The connections between the characters was surprising and I didn't see it coming. Thanks for stepping in to continue to review the episodes Gislef.
Flag
Nov 15, 2015
I'd agree it was probably the best episode.
Flag
Nov 15, 2015
Oh yeah, another thing I forgot. Since Phoebe's shadow negated everyone's abilities on June 13, 2014, how come all the Harris bombs did not disintegrate?
Flag
Nov 15, 2015
There's been some speculation whether Harris is an Evo, or a manifestation of Haciro's power.

It may also be that Phoebe only negates active powers. So it doesn't require a sustained application of Harris' power (if he has a power) to maintain the clones. So Phoebe's power would stop him from creating more clones, but it wouldn't eliminate existing clones.

It may also be that Harris' power is rapid cellular regeneration, rather than cloning per se. So when he cuts off a part, it rapid-regenerates into a duplicate of the whole. But it's not a "clone" per se. In which case, Phoebe's power would only stop the clones from regenerating, but not cause them to disintegrate.

*shrug* But it's a Tim Kring show. On some shows and comics, the writers would explore what the power means. Check out Peter David writing Multiple Man at Marvel, for instance. On Heroes Reborn, it's just an excuse to cut down on the number of secondary actors for budgetary reasons.
Flag
Nov 16, 2015
He is basically like a starfish that reproduces through fission. Also, Phoebe's power is a throwback to the solar eclipse from S03 of the original series. Although, they never explained how exactly the lack of sunlight negates evolved abilities. Rene's negation power is probably psychic, wherein he can block the part of the brain which controls the ability.
Flag
Nov 16, 2015
Well, that is presumably Harris' power. We've seen it onscreen... once, in part? After Miko cut off his hand, right?

Which is what I mean by a low budget. So they can show Tommy teleporting a half-dozen times an episode, and Malina whisking people out of water and commanding magnetic fields. But showing Harris using his power? Nah, let's have it happen off-screen.

Yes, he's a secondary character, and I don't expect to get a full regeneration f/x every episode. But sheesh, show not imply, show directors.
Flag
Nov 15, 2015
Rene was the one who wiped Noah's memory in the original timeline and Noah told him to kill him if he ever asked questions about it. In the second timeline after the blast the Noah from the future told the Noah from the past to use Caspar to wipe his memory not Rene, so confusing as that is to follow presumably Noah went to Rene to ask about his mind being wiped and Rene didn't know anything about it and never tried to kill Noah resulting in Noah not killing Rene in self defence. Now there's some convoluted logic for yah
Flag
Nov 15, 2015
Right, I understand all that. the question is, what changed between the original timeline by Quentin saving Erica, that caused Caspar to do the memory wipe rather than Rene. Because Rene did the memory wipe, which led to him being killed, which was changed when Quentin saved Erica from future-Noah.

In other words, I understand the end result. What isn't clear is how the "butterfly" of Quentin saving Erica lead to past-Noah turning to Caspar instead of Rene. Part of it is that we don't know what Rene was doing in 2014.
Flag
Nov 16, 2015
Ah I see what you mean, I think that Erica being shot wasn't in the original timeline so Quentin didn't save her which is where he becomes the butterfly, but I also assume that without Noah attempting to shoot Erica that the two Noah's meet in a different fashion that potentially changes that. But also we have to remember that Noah didn't question Rene about his memory loss until after he met Quentin so maybe that had some impact on keeping Rene Alive. Time travel is hard :D there's also the possibility that they aren't jumping between the same timeline but instead are creating alternate timelines, so that Noah jumps back in time does some stuff, causes butterflies and changes the future, but that also changes the future from which Noah jumps back from and the information he has at the time of jumping back which then leads to him doing slightly different things as he jumps back in the past and changing the future slightly again. A self fulfilling prophecy of sorts. I mean there are so many issues caused by time travel but so many that could be fixed by time travel, oh Casper is dead? time travel back 30 seconds freeze time knock the black chick out teleport everyone away teleport back in time 30 seconds get some ice cream and teleport back to your friends.
More +
Flag
Nov 15, 2015
I honestly liked your jokes in this review. And, as much as I want to like the show, I have noted some things that bother me.

- Baby Tommy doesn't steal Hiro's power before they jump, even though Hiro was holding him for a while.
- Tommy doesn't bother to stop time to save Caspar. This man had his back for 16 years, and Tommy was already informed that he had all of Hiro's powers.
- The whole time Joanne's attention was fixed on her husband, Tommy could've blinked out of there with Emily, or blinked Joanne away.
- Matt Parkman has one of the most powerful abilities in the world. Powerful enough to destroy Sylar. Powerful enough to acquire anything he wants on his own. But he still chooses to be Erica Kravid's slave.
- While Tommy's power was negated, the last thing Noah should've done, was tell a powerless, inexperienced teenage boy to leave his side. If Tommy had stayed close to Noah, he could've easily put a bullet in Phoebe's head.

Now, Caspar's death can be explained by the fact that the actor's contract was up. And, I suppose Hiro loses his power for the same reason. But, every other flaw on this list, is due to the tired old mechanic of dumbing down characters for the purpose of driving the plot. I know that no TV show or movie is without sin (courtesy of CinemaSins), but that one trend is really starting to piss me off.

More+
Flag
Nov 14, 2015
What? It was 7,957 years into the future? I hadn't understood the font. I thought it was only 1,951 years into the future. That changes EVERYTHING!

Tommy/Nathan moves the bullet frozen in time like he's picking a pea from the floor. I find it odd that all laws of physics are suspended when time is frozen and it would make more sense in my mind if the bullet was stuck there in place or very hard to move. Now I'm wondering, if Tommy would turn a frozen moving bullet 180º, would it come back in the direction from which it was shot then? That would be funny. I mean, anything that got that harpy killed would be funny. Why did Tommy have to save her?

Honestly I'm at a loss as about how and when Tommy can absorb other people's powers. All I know is that the writers thought Hiro's power was just too cool and one of the things that characterized Heroes, but Hiro had to "pass the baton"to a younger Hero because, you know, this is Heroes reborn and it's made for a new generation. And for kids these days people who were young back in 2004 are now really old dudes.
More+
Flag
Nov 14, 2015
Well, if everything was frozen, it'd be pointless to freeze time. In theory, even the air molecules would be frozen so that Tommy/Hiro couldn't move.

I believe the current theory at least some fans are tossing around is that Tommy can somehow control his power absorption, even with his memory loss. And that he somehow learned to control it in the 15 years of the new timeline when he was growing up. Maybe Angela sent him letters/emails/texts from the convent telling him how Peter did it?
Flag
Nov 14, 2015
That's a few too many "somehows" for me, but hey, it's Tim Kring.
Flag
Nov 14, 2015
No, it's definitely 7,957 years in the future. The first character is the same as the last character.

Flag
Nov 15, 2015
Oh, I wasn't doubting you at all. What I was doing was mocking both numbers which, being so high, as you point out, become meaningless. It might just as well have been 7,957 MILLION years for all I care.

Come to think of it, now that you posted a screencap, it *does* look a lot like 1951 to me because in Brazil we cut the 7 to avoid the confusion.
Flag
Nov 14, 2015
I'm not sure why 7957 is smaller than the rest of the letter font, though.
Flag
Nov 15, 2015
And I think FUTURE should be the biggest of all, just for dramatic impact.
Flag
Nov 15, 2015
Or they should have gone the Austin Powers route, spelled out thousand, and just said "8 THOUSAND years ago."

Does making it just shy of 8,000 years add verisimilitude to it, somehow, rather than just rounding up?
Flag
Nov 14, 2015
First of all mark Parkman seriously...and the jokes in this article are just completely awful not remotely funny did you really type those and think people would laugh
Flag
Nov 16, 2015

Flag
Nov 15, 2015
I'm also curious which of my jokes you think are jokes, and which are just me describing what happens on-screen. For instance, I know some people who watched the original series but aren't interested in the new one. And I'll say, "Hey, so they stick tubes hooked up to little boxes up peoples' noses to negate their powers." And basically the response I get is "You must be joking."

And that's why the whole nose tube thing bugs me so much and is emblematic of the problems with the show. It's stupid. There's no in-story reason for it. It can't be pleasant for the actors even if it only goes up a half inch out of sight rather than all the way into the... sinus cavity? brain? I'm not sure. It looks stupid. I've read a lot of comics and seen a lot of superhero TV shows, and nose tubes aren't commonly or uncommonly involved in power negation elsewhere in the genre.

So either Tim Kring thought it was a cool idea and someone should have told him no. Or someone else on staff thought it was a cool idea, and Kring should have told them no.

When Kring starts taking Heroes Reborn seriously, I'll take it seriously.
More +
Flag
Nov 15, 2015
As someone in the middle of a heroes re-watch I can safely say that nose tubes are not a new thing. I don't know about earlier in the series because I wasn't paying much attention but multiple episodes of season 3 show both Sylar, Peter and other "evos" detained by primatech and others being sedated with nose tubes, granted these aren't portable devices but time has supposedly passed since then. So i'd suggest that the people who watched Heroes but think that nose tubes are stupid in Heroes Reborn don't remember much about Heroes anyway.
Flag
Nov 15, 2015
I considered that, but the current nose tubes aren't apaprently sedating people. And they wouldn't have to extend so far up the nose to sedate anyone in any case.

Sedation makes sense, and that's what they used on Dearing, albeit with a big honkin' needle instead of a nose tube. But Harris (for instance) doesn't act sedated when they have the miniature nose-tuber in him.
Flag
Nov 14, 2015
So you won't be reading my review next week? Or jut skip down to comments?

Pity you didn't read last week's review, you could have spared yourself this week's.
Flag
Nov 14, 2015
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Nov 14, 2015
Couple things. First, it's Matt Parkman, not Mark. Also, when he let Noah go, that was a year in the past, so it's possible he has become more a douche in the past year. After all, Kravid is paying him. And Rene didn't die because Noah had Caspar erase his memory instead of Rene after he went back in time (the version we see) so Rene would not end up getting shot.
Flag
Nov 14, 2015
But how did the timeline change so that Caspar wiped Noah's memories instead of Rene? It's not like Quentin saving Erica somehow summoned Caspar. Or prevented Rene from being there. Caspar and Rene must have both been nearby in the original timeline.

I'm starting to get more interested in the original timeline than the current one.
Flag
Nov 15, 2015
My thought is that the first time this happened is when Noah physically sought out Rene and had him wipe his memories, but then when he goes back in time and attempts to shoot Kravid, that upsets the timeline, thus allowing for Quentin to meet with Kravid and be on her side. As for Caspar, future Noah talked to that dude about security, then Past Noah ended up talking to Kravid and got detained, then Caspar freed him, thus allowing for him to erase Past Noah's memories. I can only assume this is Noah's way of trying to course correct, but in turn screwed it up.
Flag
Nov 14, 2015
Seriously who eats venison from a deer they killed that morning? You need to let it hang for an absolute minimum of 24 hours before taking a knife to it, and if you want to do it properly you'd want to give a good couple of weeks.
Flag
Nov 14, 2015
I suppose if Erica is expecting a solar flare to arrive, she might not want to wait weeks...
Flag
Nov 14, 2015
Maybe the solar flare roasted the meat.
Flag
Nov 14, 2015
Awesome review. Couldn't agree more - especially on the awesome ending and the suckiness of Caspar's death.
Flag
Nov 14, 2015
When did Joanne and Emily cross paths before? Joanne seemed like she knew Emily but I don't remember them meeting.

I'm imagining a mostly happy ending, but this episode saddened me.
Flag
Nov 14, 2015
When Joanne and Chuck first tried to kill Tommy.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members