Heroes

1961

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Apr 13, 2009 on NBC

7.7
  • Coyote Sands: What FEMA concentration camps will be like

Coyote Sands: A chilling indication of what FEMA concentration camps currently being built will be like.

Not so good episode from a story-telling perspective. But valuable cautionary tale about what is happening in America today.

• entertaining but kind of pointless.

i really like the concept of angela and her sister and the whole storyline behind it, but what i don't get was why they had to visit that place in the first place. they didn't leave with her sister or find out anything tha vital.
    overall i think the whole seeing the sister to bring them togeter was a bit weird
    still love the show though.
    and another mention about claies hair, it makes her look really young, lyk 14 or somethin around that age any way.
    i dont know what else to say so i am writin this o take up 100 words :-)
  • hahaha Syler took Naithan look!!!

nice episode really .. i like how the story goes .. and how everything started now everything make sense .. i dont think that there is still some stuff that we need to know about the past .. but im not sure about the black guy who is him!! maby i just dont remmeber ..
    and i guess Alis will involve more in the future i dont know .. i didnt watch the following episodes . . but Syler haha what a thing he did to appear in the national TV as Nathan .. he is really into something !!
  • This episode was the big daddy of all the previous episodes that let me down, only this one let me so far down that I feel I will never recover.

3.5
    So yeahh, lets get into the heads of the story writers here. It's obvious that they are really struggling to get to grips with solid story lines and character building. You can tell it's a case of "inhale.... YEAH! lets do that..."

None of the hero characters are consistent anymore and you can't feel for any of them. They all claim to be good and then do bad things.

This episode was just silly.. Did Angela RRRREALLY need to get her family to dig up dead bodies (which they did very accurately by the way) just to prove there were dead bodies there? I mean, couldn't she have just said "Yes, there are dead bodies there and if you don't believe me have a dig". And then, the best part of all, her sister. I mean, in the 40 years apart, did it not cross Angelas mind to go visit that place at least once just to see if her sister was there? It would have saved alot of aggro really.

Hmm, inconsistancies? (I've lost count to be honest).
    So Sylar is a shape shifter, he got it off a guy who had a wardrobe full of different clothes to match the new human shapes he'd match. Only, Sylar can actually change his clothes too. (A very late convenient fix there)...

What else.. oh yeah Peter.. now correct me if I'm wrong but he can borrow people's powers yeah? So how come all of a sudden he can keep peoples powers when it suits him... like, the shape shifting power. Surely he would only have that when near sylar? (touching him).. but no, convenience lets him just have it all of a sudden.

What else, oh yeah Matt Parkman.. so he can tell people what to do but not in a loud noise YET in one episode he was still able to tell people what to do with an alarm going. Why is he even bothered about ANYONE if he can just tell them what to do? I mean, couldn't him and Hero basically solve every problem that ever existed?

Oh and he can paint the future now (oo that's original writers, well done).

And dad dude yeah? You are either protecting your daughter or you aren't ok? Just move away for crying out loud. Just pack your bags and move to a different country and stay there for the next few years. Nobody gives a crap about you ok? you are causing all the bloody problems.

The funny thing about the whole story is that, the whole problem has been caused by the heroes themselves. Has everyone forgotten that Nathan was a complete git and tried to capture them all?? What was that all about? If he hadn't done that they wouldn't have all these problems.

I really don't care about any of the characters anymore because they are all stupid, ignorant and selfish.

I'm done.
  • Angela gathers Noah, Claire, Peter and Nathan at Coyote Sands to tell them what has happened there 46 years ago. In the process our Heroes come closer together to face their common enemy; Danko and his operation.

This is a flashback episode one that was very entertaining indeed but lacked significance. There was no need for this episode at this point of the season. Maybe if it had been earlier. Nevertheless, Angela's past is revealed. We learn that Angela's has this attachment to socks because it makes her feel warm and safe. Milo Ventimiglia's performance is a little stiff but still makes you feel like he and Adrian Pasdar (Nathan) could really be brothers.
    I was surprisingly shocked with Hayden's performance (Claire), as a teenager who misses living like a teenager for once (something which hoperfully is the main arc for Claire next season).
    I felt for Mohinder (and I thought this might be one really good opportunity to kill off the character since it has lost any importance to this volume and to the Heroes universe in general). In general, the flashbacks are really well written but the present story is quite boring. If the whole episode was a flashback it might have been better.
    As far as I can remember the season becomes better in the last two episodes although the last episode could find you a little bit disappointed. Then again you may not have the chance to be disappointed as the new season begins in 2 days. Enjoy!
  • Another great episode!

Angela uncovers the dark secrets of her past, while Mohinder learns of his father's involvement in a forgotten government operation.

We start to understand why the Company was founded. The episode reveals a lot of things, and explain little things like the socks´s theft by Angela on season one (and that shows that we back to basics). Alice is a great character.
    The Petrelli´s and the Bennet´s are together and the final scene was awesome. On TV, another Nathan Petrelli (Sylar and the shapeshifting) appears. Now it´s time to the battle. Who will die on season finale?
    Answer to the question of haris1189: The guy with the glasses was Bob Bishop.

Sorry for my bad english!!
  • This wasn't a action oriented episode, but it did bring the characters together. There were some nice twist. The black and white is pointless, and Chandra Suresh is a fake, at least one of them is

With commercials, yeah this episode was a little boring. Without commercials it's a lot better. Remember Angela when she stole socks in the very first episode in season one. Now we know why. It reminded her, which meant something. It's was surprising that Alice is alive and kicking. Now Sylar can take that weather ability and bring tornado's and hurricanes. It's nice to see younger versions of characters, and the family now getting along. At least I feel for the characters again. Not like the first half of season 3, where I didn't care anymore. The only thing I disliked was the black and white flashbacks. It felt like it was made in 1961. Color would of been just fine. Chandra Suresh was white before. It raised questions. I wonder who the real Chandra Suresh. One of them is a phony, or they really messed up there. There better be answers for that or I will rate this episode a 5 in the future. Other then that It was a nice character development. Next week I think is a Bryan Fuller episode.
  • I thought the episode was a great idea, stepping back from all the chases and fights, and instead focusing on what the persecution and alienation are doing to the characters

I thought the episode was a great idea, stepping back from all the chases and fights, and instead focusing on what the persecution and alienation are doing to the characters -- in this case Angela, whom I've never liked before. It's much more convincing than Matt simply snapping and trying to shoot somebody. The fact that the victims are kids, who lack the sophistication to understand what is going on, makes the emotional effect on them even more convincing.

One quibble: in their last conversation in the past, the sisters used current slang like "cool" and "make out". Did kids talk like that in 1961? I was 6 years old then and I don't think so.
  • Finally we see why Angela is the way she is and why did she want to keep everything a secret. It is a great episode. Finding out something that has been secret for so long...

This episode was refreshing one for me. I really enjoyed finding out the truth and links to the seasons 1 and 2 and 3 all fitting together. Finding out what were their motivation how they felt what were they thinking why they became the way they did. From the first season there has been that question what had happened in the past that is so terrible what did they do and now we have some answers (most of them). They were teenagers when it happened and they were left all alone. They did everything they could to keep it a secret. Developing episode, very good!
  • I would actually give this an 8.5, but I see there are some lows scores here that it did not deserve. I think people have too large of expectations for the show.

I'm writing about what I hated first, so feel free to skip to the next paragraph.

First the negative: This episode was boring at first imo, but I feel it got interesting once Angela's sister was trying to be injected with that needle, then all craziness broke loose. It seemed as though adult Alice was sort of a psychopath to me, after those events years ago. I personally thought the storyline was too random to be taken seriously. I would've enjoyed it better if Alice didn't survive, and Angela was just remembering the past, but they had to give a purpose for it, this being that Alice was still alive. Positive: I really enjoyed the scene when Alice caused the storm and Mohinder tried to calm her down, and she thought of him as Chandra. That was a nice touch. The conclusion of this episode was also epic, Nathan seeing himself on TV, even though it was Sylar. That was epic. Plus Angela got more depth to her character from this episode. PS Deveaux using his powers to dance with a white girl during segregation was genious.

Conclusion: This was a necessary episode. It had character development, and it introduced a potential villian to the series. I'm glad for it, but I can't wait for next weeks episode.
  • kk...it took me 7 hrs to know the purpose of this episode......and i like it :D

first of all, lets start with the fact that this episode explained many things that were UNEXPLAINED, and i think the best of them ofc is that y the company was ever founded, the purpose of the apocalypse, and other things such as the socks ROFL!! i loved that, they actually remembered a thing that happened in the very first 10 min of the whole show, wow fuller u rly amaze me :D other things i liked in this episode was the fact that mohinder may take the same path as his father.....that rly was gr8 too. One also of the most important things that this episode actually did is to develop characters by their emotions, speech, dialogue, interactions with other characters.....we know who we are talking about here, i mean the trio, peter, nathan, and claire. the conversations that were said by these gave a very great feeling that these characters know what they did in the past, y they have been through, and admit there mistakes and cons.

another thing i loved in this episode is that i finally get to believe that this show still has a history that was uncovered. when i saw this episode, i realized a bit that the villains storyline should've came after fugitives, i mean instead of angela goin to see her sister, y not go see her husband.. in conclusion, this episode just revealed wat needs to be known a very long time ago, cause it gave the feeling that this show still has a past, it can move forward by showing backward events, personally i think this episode was supremely necessary, i give it a 9.5, but i just want to fix the ratings for an episode that deserved much more.
  • I thought people were done giving Heroes '1's and '2's. Why start now? This episode does not deserve those scores at all.

It's always nice to kind of take a break from the main storyline and find out more about all our characters. That being said, this episode delivered.

Turns out the mystery of Coyote Sands was quite a significant one, because it was the birthplace of the Company, as well as Suresh's work on people with abilities. I enjoyed finding out about Angela and her family's past. Alice turned out to be quite interesting too.

Alice's life was centered around Angela. And when Angela decided to lie and leave, she created some emotional trauma to Alice, causing her to become what she is. This made her a very interesting character because, other than the fact that her ability is very powerful one, she was still a child mentally, because she was not exposed to much social interaction since Angela told her "I'll be back in a few". I thoroughly enjoyed the confrontation at the end and I think it ended well too. This will not be the last we hear of Alice...

I also really enjoyed how the Petrelli's, Mohinder and Bennet came together. And its about time they did, since the season finale is two weeks away. The emotions that they all expressed also start to address the title of the next volume "Redemption".

As for the ending? WOW! Sylar now has the power to destroy the Heroes in so many ways. I think this season finale will be the best one yet.

And for those who still rate this show as a '1' or a '2' or anything below '8' for that matter, just watch the season finale, and if you still think this show is worth those scores, then you should do us real Heroes fans a favour and MOVE ON!
  • The Dharma Initiative, Heroes style.

The fact are these; whenever young Matt Jr.'s mother isn't taking over what used to be the speedster's plotline, Bryan Fuller is trying to retcon everything he can from the rest of the characters and while a matching pesonality disorder may have been cute for Pushing Daises's aunts Lilly & Vivian, it is NOT for the sister we never knew Angela had, especially since Angela herself hasn't stole any more socks for her sister since the pilot episode.

In the midst of this disaster we could've rescued Chandra Suresh and Dr Linderman's cameo only we didn't know how did they survive much less explain how their favorite lab rats came to enlist their help 20 years later; the fact that the writers eventually remember the almighty Charles Deevaux was an african american teenager in the middle of the 1960s for a last minute scene or that Bob Bishop was supposed to be younger that Linderman to fit the father of Elle. So we kindly remember ourselves this was a filler episode made for those who haven't seen from volume 2 to volume 4 therefore are not aware of how far these people have actually come.
  • It's Better

This week's installment of Heroes brought a whole new perspective to the show. We were finally given the chance to witness what happened during Angela's child hood.

This episode had a very Lost style feel to it with flashbacks of Angela's dark past. They mainly revolve around the starting of the company and Angela's relationship with her sister which I thought was very well done throughout. It brought a new spin on things and we also were given the chance to see a younger Charles Deveaux. His character had remained a mystery throughout the seasons but we were finally given a small glimpse of who he was. The main reason why the episode was not superb is mainly because of the rest of the cast, unfortunately they were not given a very imaginitive script. It appears they gave all the best lines to Angela, which isn't really a bad thing but it just felt like time was being wasted with Peter getting upset and flying off. I think our main protagonist needs to grow a bit more of a back bone instead of crying and running away. Anyway to end on a good note this is not a bad episode. It isn't perfect but it is not abysmal at all. Each episode is getting better and better and it's just unfortunate we are near the end of the season. High hopes for season 4!!!
  • Informative and entertaining episode.

It was a filler episode, but a good one, is nice to see Linderman and Bishop again, even if it is their younger versions.

I didn't had clear until last night which powers Deveaux had, after all, I just saw him in Peter's dreams, and for that reason I think it was cool to be shown what he could do in a very subtle yet nice way.

And finally, I LOVED Alexa Nikolas' performance as young Angela, they actually look similar to me, specially when they smile, it was a nice cast decision.
  • A good idea but not effective enough.

This is the lowest score I ever gave to an episode of Heroes.It was a weak , kind of out of order episode. First , is Chandra Suresh like 10 years older than Angela?I mean she was 16 in 1961 so now she is 64 , that means Chandra would be like 74 now if he wasn't dead? , that doesn't make sense. Peter changes his mind about his brother every episode and that is starting to annoy me. Poor acting specially from Christine Rose and Hayden. The Petrelli family have to solve once and for all their family issues and start doing something interesting because the drama is starting to be repetitive and pointless. I hope that now that Angela has some kind of closure now that she saw her sister ( how lame is to stay in the same place for 50 years because your sister tells you so) the end of the season focuses more on stoping Sylar and Danko than about whining about family problems.
  • A fantastic episode.

Heroes is going through great changes over the past few episodes. While they have not been without flaws, they have managed to harken back to the old form of storytelling that fans enjoyed so much. 1961 reminds longtime fans of what the show can be, while entertaining them and newcomers with a comepelling story of the past.

1961 returns us to Coyote Sands where our heroes are well underway excavating a burial ground. From the first scene this episode grabs viewers with the disturbing images of the sea of skeletons wand simultaneously gives as a look into the past to give us our first hint of what is in store for us in the episode.

The flashback story was fantastic. It displayed the raw emotion that Cold Wars (also a flashback episode) lacked. The connection between Angela and Alice was gripping and at last told the long awaited Angela orgin tale.

Seeing other old faces, such as Charles Devaux and Daniel Linderman was exciting for longtime viewers, although I found Linderman's accent to be quite annoying. However, while the flashback sequences were exciting, some things felt a little forced. Doctor Zimmerman was unneeded and reminded me of the tragic mess that we now call "Villains." The writers redeme themselves though when Angela lies to Alice, resulting in the massacre of Coyote Sands, durring which we see a sign reading "Bldng 26 Lab" a connection to the present that will hopefully be explored in the final 2 episdoes of "Fugitives."

In the present, we are shown another incredible story. The longterm affects of Angela's past are shown clearly, and her scene with Claire was a bit of a tearjerker. This storyline feels a little slow in the first twenty minutes of 1961 or so, but quickly becomes even better than the flashbacks.

When we were finally introduced to Alice, it is implied that she is slightly crazy, having never left Coyote Sands. Also, we were FINALLY given a sweet but simple answer to Angela's shoplifting of socks.

The episode really gets interesting when Alice learns of Angela's lie to her 50 years earlier that caused the destruction of her life. Angela tries to convince Alice that she is sorry, and once again it seems like Heroes is on its predictable family-forgiveness route. So the surprise I felt when Angela says, "Say goodbye, Alice," and Alice answers with an angry, "No," can hardly be imagined.

Heroes did a fanatastic job this week. Even the cliffhanger, a clear set up for next week's first half of the finale, was wonderful. Sylar has taken on Nathan's appearance and is holding a press confrence. Something I expected, but not this soon.

Ultimately, 1961 is a hard episode to judge. There is a lot of good done, along with some bad, but Heroes still is several steps ahead of where we were when "Villains" ended. While 1961 was a good stand-alone story, its true value won't be clear until we see if there are longterm affects of what is shown here.

SCORE 9.4

NOTE: My score for this episode is 9.4 but is listed as a 10 to counter the haters who negatively review Heroes episdoes for the sake of negatively reviewing Heroes episodes.
  • liked it but...

I really enjoyed this episode. It was interesting to find out that stuff about Angela and the Petrelli's past and all. BUT it was kind of pointless. Not really needed. Just a filler episode. Maybe all this will be important later. But we didn't really NEED to know all of that stuff about the past. Even though I totally liked this episode. Of course I love almost any episode that has a lot of Peter and Claire in it since their my favorites. But I wish there could've been some Hiro scenes because I really want to know what is going on with them. But overall it was a useless episode.
  • Filler episode that still leaves questions

My grandmother grew up in Atlanta, Georgia in the 1950's and 1960's. She doesn't watch shows like this but while I was watching "Heroes", she looked up from what she was doing and gasped to hear the waiter bark at Angela and Charles that they don't "dance with colored people". I'm sure she remembers more events before my time that turned up in this episode: the Cold War, the black-and-white flashbacks, the comments about "Communists" and "this happened before with the Nazis and the Jews". Why did Angela Petrelli start a Company? My theory is that she didn't want to compromise with government order or be exposed to the world as a freak. Alternatively, mention of concentration camps makes us all say "never again". At least with her own secret society, Angela and her friends could call the shots. They'd have to lie, murder, and blackmail people but they could keep their secrets safe. At least for a while.

The good: This episode is about forgiveness. The Petrellis, always at each other's throats, are now surviving by sticking together after everyone has been kicked out of Nathan's project (including Nathan). Being stripped down forces them to look at one another and admit their mistakes. Noah Bennett confesses he also failed to get inside and thwart the government project. While Peter still holds a grudge against Nathan for all of the suffering he's caused, Claire is more forgiving with both of her fathers and judging by her facial expression, she's coming to a satisfying maturity.

The not-so-good: Mohinder discovers his father was working in Coyote Sands and deduces that Chandra Suresh was another Dr. Mengele (the "Angel of Death" who experiment on people at the Auswitz concentration camp). I come from a family of Jewish survivors so that comment pricked. Sometimes science fiction bleeds into reality a little too close for my taste. I love Mohinder's character but feel he's been neglected this entire season--starting with the ridiculous bug mutation. After "Fugitives" began, other fans were asking what was Dr. Suresh still doing on the show as he didn't seem to have a purpose anymore. Perhaps the writers are trying to draw parallel lines between Mohinder and Chandra Suresh but it only makes things more confusing. We thought the death of Shanti Suresh was the portal to Chandra's research in season one. Now suddenly it seems that he knew about people with abilities and was working on it years before he even had children! If it becomes a "mind wipe" scenario then I'll be very disappointed. By now I wish the writers would start taking out comments to heart. Stop putting characters into such helplessly impossible situations that they cannot dig themselves out and need an unlikely twist or plothole to save themselves. It's something I would have expected back in "Villains" and by now I'm disappointed to see a step backwards for "Fugitives". Mohinder comments that he must have hope for redemption for everyone else, even Nathan. Why can't the writers give Mohinder a way to redeem himself?

The surprise new guest: "Fugitives" has been shaping up better than "Villains" but the introduction of Angela's sister Alice, a survivor and weather-master, was a bit of a disappointment. Too much like the sudden surprise return of Arthur Petrelli. Too many characters are coming in and coming out without a sense of purpose. In season one everyone had their role to play and it fit together beautifully. Everyone has their time and place, a sense of destiny. But now we get the sudden appearance and disappearance of a sister who begrudges Angela for abandoning her….what is the purpose? Why bring in people like Luke, Alex, and Alice and then just chuck them out?

It's two episodes to the finale and I've noticed "Fugitives" like to flip between low-key episodes of character development and tense episodes full of action. So the ending to this Petrelli-centered episode was very fitting for any fan of the "Five Years Gone" scenario. I'm sure jaws dropped when we realized it was Sylar impersonating Nathan on television. The show got into a big mess with "Villains" so I hope the last 2 episodes of "Fugitives" can pull them out….or at least have us feeling more satisfied before "Redemption" begins. And I want someone at NBC to know that there are still many "Heroes" fans out there who still believe that this show can-and will be-redeemed in the near future. It just needs better writing and storytelling.
  • melodramatic, trite, boring

Heroes has suffered through highs and lows, especially in this Volume. There have been really, really good episodes and then there have been just-okay mediocre episodes. And then there's this episode, which is neither. This episode, I'm shrugging my shoulders in befuddlement. It was. . .really bad. It oozed cheese from every angle, the acting was atrocious at all corners. It was like I flipped channels and it was the Days of Our 4400. (Apologies to any 4400 fans.) Seriously, it was like a whiny, preachy, primetime, convoluted science-fiction soap opera. I don't know how this happened and it's best it will never happen again. The Petrellis, Noah, and Claire dig up remains from Coyote Sands. Peter asks about the significance of the site. Angela flashes to the past (in black and white no less. Sigh, when will Heroes learn that it bugs the heck out of me when they do that and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone) to 1961, where Kennedy was still President. In case you didn't remember, Heroes patches the obvious history lesson for us. Thanks. Angela and her sister Alice are dropped off to Coyote Sands, a government hold-up for people with powers. Think of it as the Primatech for the normal humans. Think of it as interment camps for heroes. Somehow, the government found out about the heroes in the 60s (well, it is in a time where the US and Soviets supposedly were investigating the paranormal but that's a subject to uncover at a later time.) The government experimented, documented, and sometimes murdered the heroes to uncover the source of their powers to manipulate and control them for the "good" of the country. Head scientist of the operation? Chandra Suresh, Mohinder's daddy. Was he a tool? Was he a man with good intentions? I have no idea because Heroes never supplied a coherent answer for just what his involvement with the program was. See, Heroes came up with the "bright" idea to tell us what was going on but never showing us any of the exact atrocities Coyote Sands personal committed. Angela and Alice stick together but Angela becomes fast friends with younger versions of Charles Devaiox (Simone's father), Bob Bishop, and Daniel Linderman. I did enjoy the younger versions of Angela and company, especially with Bob being a gawky, awkward, slightly nerdy teen. I especially enjoyed Linderman and the younger version of him was spot-on. Charles knows something is wrong with Coyote Sands and tries to convince Angela to take action. Angela just wants to be a good girl and stay out of trouble. In the present, Angela believes her sister is still alive since the desert winds kick off, her sister is revealed to being able to manipulate the weather, and Angela is whisked away by a storm. Noah meets up with Mohinder and I think through a case of bad editing (Noah is in the desert and in a shelter a split second later and Mohinder's dialogue sounds clipped) that Mohinder is there to uncover his father's involvement in the project. Get in line, I still have no idea. Meanwhile, Peter gets pissy about having his brother around him and like a drama-queen, flies off to a nearby cafe. Nathan follows and tries to convince Peter that they need to stick together, for family. Yeah, yeah, yeah. At Coyote Sands, Claire finds Alice's battered copy of Alice in Wonderland (ha ;{). Claire ponders how much she's changed, how much of a normal life she had to give up and how much of that life she's lost. Her innocence is gone and she's no longer able to fully get it back. Price of wanting to have that life in the first place. Angela wakes in a bunker and sees a withered Alice: old, dusty, and a bit crazy. Angela tries to reconnect with her but Alice is mostly gone. More flashbacks ensue. Angela tries to warn Suresh about impending doom but he doesn't believe her. Charles convinces her to sneak up with Bob, Linderman, and him to town to warn people. Angela tries to bring her sister but for some reason, Charles believes Alice would slow them down. Uh, does he not know her ability? Angela promises Alice that she'll be back soon and to stay in Coyote Sands, where it's safe. Angela, Charles, and crew go to the cafe. Angela tries to warn someone while the rest chill out, enjoying freedom. Charles convinces her to dance and after some 60s racism, Charles reveals that his power is mind-bending. Doesn't explain anything about Peter's vision back in How to Stop an Exploding Man. Maybe that vision will never be explained. A weather report has Angela urging that something's wrong with Alice. Alice is about to be experimented on by Suresh but she freaks, creates a storm, and tries to escape. A man tries to shoot her while a hero saves her and from then on, chaos is created as gunshots are panickedly fired at heroes and Alice hides. She stayed at Coyote Sands since then because sweet sister Angela said Coyote Sands was safe and for further explanation, Alice believed she caused the slaughter. It wasn't entirely her fault but due to bad editing and refusing to show the corruption of the camp, viewers are going to think otherwise. Angela admits her lie and Alice whips up a storm. Angela is saved by Peter and Alice disappears. Everyone except Mohinder goes to the cafe (Mohinder stays at Coyote Sands to sort through just what his father did to the heroes. Good luck.), enjoying the old music and some fries. Angela is saddened but wiser (hey, this episode was one giant cliche, so bear with me) and feels her sister is gone. But at least she can let go of the past. It was the shooting that inspired Angela to convince young Bob, Charles, and Linderman to form a company to protect heroes from incidents like these, to preserve the heroes, no matter what the cost. Don't forget that Primatech caused a lot of hero turmoil over the years as well but whatever. They became the same thing they were fighting. Leave it at that because Heroes didn't even bother to point that out. Peter accepts the company of his family and informs them from now on, they work together as a family, not a company. Oh yeah, and Nathan's forgiven. Nathan's pleased. He plans to go back to Washington but a tv channel informs him that Sylar beat him to it and is now impersonating him. I would have loved to see why Sylar suddenly decided to impersonate Nathan when last episode he was merrily toying with Noah and that would have been preferable to the majority of this episode. Even the Eclipse episodes were not as bad as this one because at least in the Eclipse-episodes, something happens. In here, nothing really happens. The Petrellis are reunited and Angela moves on from her past. That's it. The acting was terrible. Mohinder spoke out-of-accent during the storm. Peter was a major diva. Surprisingly, even Noah was not that good in here and spoke in clipped, vague sentences. Since I thought he was Sylar throughout the episode, I thought that was done on purpose but no. A bigger shocker was that the best part came from Claire. Her speech about losing her normal life was incredible and was the best part about the whole episode. It shows how much Claire has matured, especially throughout this one volume, and is a good indicator of the sacrifices the heroes have made, being forced to step out of the normal world and never completely being a part of that world again because they will always feel and people will treat them like freaks. Bottom line: if you haven't seen this episode, skip it. Hopefully, the rest of the episodes this volume will be good.
  • And so Heroes lets loose with the flashbacks again, lending credence to the notion that it's becoming the new Lost.

And so Heroes lets loose with the flashbacks again, lending credence to the notion that it's becoming the new Lost. The black and white retrospective was an original and rewarding concept when it was first utilised in season one's 'Company Man' but by this point, it's so old hat, so passe, that you wonder why the production staff seem so obsessed with it. Oh sure, it looks nice and gives the director of photography an opportunity to revel in all the chiaroscuro possibilities, but as a viewing experience, it's tiresome, particularly when one considers the rather blase and ultimately pointless nature of the episode itself. Great, so it rebuilds the seemingly annihilated Petrelli bridge, bringing Angela, Peter, Nathan, Claire and HRG back together in at least a fairly understandable fashion, but the method by which this is achieved is pretty lacking. We aren't given enough of an opportunity to engage with Alice in order to empathise with her plight and it's a bit difficult to believe that she's been living in that government bunker for fifty years. Furthermore, there's some woeful over-acting from a large number of the cast, not the least of which is Christine Rose who is uncharacteristically hammy. Perhaps it's the less-than-stellar dialogue that hampers things. Still, it's not all bad: there's a promising cliffhanger, young Alice and Angela are arguably better than their adult counterparts and there's a lovely nod to continuity with Angela's sock-stealing, which is actually referenced in 'Genesis' (the pilot episode) and given a thoroughly logical explanation here. It's just a shame that, for a show so desperately in need of some forward momentum, it continues to produce episodes like '1961' which, while passable in their own right, when taken altogether, frustrate rather than satisfy.
  • nothing happened during this whole episode, sure Angelia's crazy sister that was "not coming back" and that mohinder's father somehow knew about the people with powers even though he began researching it when his daughter was born because she had powers

Wouldn't mohinder's father have been younger... Why do they keep on making endless plot holes, where is the Katlin the Irish woman peter took to the future, where is Monica, where is Micah where is that guy that can fly claires boyfriend. What has happened to this show, I watch it even though it is and because I am waiting for one of those good episodes the one's that were common in season 1 but have gone completely now. I used to look forward to watching Heroes now Lost has over taken it they were going bad for a while but picked up why can't the writers FIX stuff they have mucked up constantly and they need to add new characters in and KEEP them in. The characters with powers at the moment are the same as the season one characters all the New characters have either died or disappeared for no apparent reason COME ON heroes fix your episodes!!!
  • A story entail flashbacks with cute young versions of older characters, but everything else...er...

1.5
    One of the worst episodes yet. Oh wait, no, that would be the season 2 finale.
    The repetitive references and likening to the Holocaust was weak, cheap, and offensive. How do you liken an alleged "accidental massacre" to the Holocaust? In fact, the moment the flashback began, I wondered, "Why does this look like the Holocaust?"
    Likening Suresh and his father with the "calm down" thing was extremely corny. "OmiGawd, Evil Indian MaN GannA SLap Me!"
    And what was with the slap, by the way? Why on earth did Sr. Suresh slap Alice then abruptly mumble "Sorry"???
    Alice reads Alice in Wonderland. Alice calls her sister banana? How sweet and corny and vomit-inducing?
    Grown-up Alice looked absolutely bizarre, btw. And she looks older than Angela. I originally thought they were trying to rip of Storm from X-men with the gray hair, but when they turned her stupid/psychotic, and I was like, "Oh LOVELY. Another of those." I must admit, Sylar is getting really boring, but I haven't an interest in this creepy loserly hoser. "Waah, I was waiting for you, Banarnar!"
    So many plotholes...goodness gracious. And why are they constantly negating Sylar's abilities? Or has he forgotten that he acquired transformation from that random fat girl in season 2?
    I did enjoy the actress playing young Angela, but as for everything else...er...Zachary Qunito, get out while you still can!!
  • Useless episode.

Reading all the negative reviews and experiencing the crappola myself, I have to agree. This episode was a complete waste of time. It is good to see that some of us, still use their noodle to spot crap when they see it. I want to point out one huge inconsistency that is obvious in this episode, it is regrading dr. Suresh's father. As we know in episode 1, he was being amazed about existence of people with abilities, yet in this episode he witnessed such people way back in the past. Anyways, this show has been hijacked by the Petrelli family, and in this episode we basically witnessed a soup opera. And yes, every character outside Sylar became so blah and boring, that it does not matter if he/she dies. Why did we have to go back to 1961, this whole concept could have been told in 5 minutes. Writers you took a week off, now get back to work. This show had a history of some of the worst final episodes on record, this time around the regular season is sub par, so please at least give us a good finale.
  • I think this quote is the lowest point of this show "I have socks for you."

3.5
    I recorded this episode and had to rewind it several times to make sure, did I hear it write "I have socks for you." can you spell LAME. the idea of someone telling you to stay in one place until you comeback, and they wait for you for fifty years is so incredibly stupid and LAME.

They have also turned this show, specially in this episode into a messy mini soap opera. Dr Suresh senior's camp could have been a saving point of this episode but it was very poorly put together and portrayed. It could have been so much more interesting.

I am also getting a little tired of the whole Petrelli family condescending and selfish attitude which the show tries to portray as brave and hero like. The only remotely interesting part was the end with Sylar taking Nathan's form. Oh and young Angela was kind of cute.
  • Classic episode

Warning: This review contains spoilers

"1961" is one of the best episodes of Heroes this season. Unlike most of the episodes, this is a one story episode about children with special abilities are taken to a Nazi like camp where they are experimented upon. This is the only episode where a viewer can watch and understand the story without watching previous episodes. I also liked the black and white cinema photography and soundtrack when Angela talks about the past when she was a kid trapped in that camp with others. I also like the storyline of Angelia's sister Alice who lived all of her life in that camp.
  • Revisiting The Past.....finds answers.

Our heroes find themselves revisitng the past to find the answers to save the future. We learn how Coyote Sands was established and why but we also learn of it's connection to the present. Angela's guilt for leaving Alice behind brings her full circle in the discovery that her sister survived. Returning to Coyote Sands brings some unsettling news to Mohinder but taken in the correct context it could give him a renewed purpose. Peter's anger and arrogance could be felt but learns through the underlying forgiveness theme that in order to save the future the hereos need to take what worked in 1961 but do it differently. Sylar's presence is only a few moments, but it's an important few moments that are going to have serious consequences.
  • Good episode exploring how it all began. Unfortunately it doesn't actually accomplish much.

Great to have the family united and this episode explores what separates Heroes from everything else – family. It's been a strength of the series since day 1 and nothing's changed. There's nothing I love more about Heroes than the Petrelli family, and this episode delivers in volume, even letting Peter and Nathan strike a truce.

Peter sees first hand how Nathan has won Claire over. Why has Angela still got them digging up bodies? I can understand doing it originally to make a point but continuing to dig is morbid and disturbing. This is later explained, Angela wants to give her sister a proper burial and that requires finding her remains.

1961: Chandra Suresh welcomes Angela and sister Alice to the relocation centre. This is how the original Primatech founders met as teenagers! This is the first appearance of the abilities. No surprise Zimmerman's here. 1/ The government knew! 2/ How did they find all of them? Suresh found the current generation through the Human Genome Project, and Nathan's team through DNA databases, but this is almost 50 years ago! The government's project sounds exactly like Nathan's! The Company's mission started here, to ensure this never again. So why did Angela not say a word when Nathan started doing the exact same thing that was done to her?!

Naturally Peter rebels and Nathan walks out, already zipping up his jacket. "I'll get him." Frankly I thought they'd slug it out but they're still talking. If they would just punch the hell out of each other, they'd both feel better and it would clear a lot of the anger between them. To illustrate Nathan's basic nature, Peter brings up the Mets game from 1986. He was 7. That was 23 years ago. Talk about holding a grudge! If he's still this bitter about it, he must have been homicidal at the time!

Noah and Nathan know how they messed up and Noah warns Nathan about Sylar's new shapeshifting ability. A first – Nathan used an endearment with Claire – 'Honey' – they really have bonded! Claire's conversation with her fathers about growing up was way random when they were talking about Sylar?! But it was really cool to see her treat them both equally as her fathers and how they handled that without jealousy or rivalry. Watch them standing shoulder to shoulder, united. Noah's been accepted into the Petrelli fold. This little triangle just found equilibrium.

Alice can control the weather – 'Snow Falls in Miami'? If Alice was 'dead', who stopped the tsunami in Miami? Who else in the Company had that power?! We know all of the founders and there's none we know of that do. It's like the writers had the idea in season 2 then resurrected the idea now and what, hoped no-one would remember the article Bob showed Nathan?

We knew that Charles had to be a telepath and it's confirmed, mind control too. Surprise, surprise – Claire is the fourth generation with abilities! Her grandfather (I'm assuming it was Angela's dad?) on Angela's side had a power too – sonic wave maybe.

Without a doubt the most astonishing revelation of the episode – Alice is the reason Angela shoplifts the socks!! I doubt Angela will ever see Alice again, she's too damaged, been alone and traumatized too long. There was something missing in this storyline, the idea that Alice would just stay here for 50 years is ridiculous, no matter how traumatized she was, surely after maybe 20 years she would get over it?! I was also a bit vague on what exactly killed everyone – sure she created a big storm, but there were gunshots too. And are you telling me that afterwards the government just threw the bodies in shallow graves and walked away? Not even bothering to remove the 'relocation centre' sign which is kind of a giveaway that this is a government facility, not to mention the old military Jeep. For a big secret, this place isn't very well hidden. Oh yes, and wasn't Alice a brunette with dark eyes? Why did her older self have blonde hair and blue eyes?? Sorry, but the whole Alice storyline was pretty weak and didn't actually do anything, since realistically what did the trip to Coyote Sands accomplish? Like Peter said, Angela could have told them all this in a restaurant.

Sure, some people died (granted some were family) but that's hardly a reason to form a 'company' to protect themselves, it's a complete overreaction and dream or not, hardly justifies 20 years of killing, kidnapping and lying. This happened 50 years ago and despite Angela's declaration that she dreamed this, they only formed the company 20 years ago. What exactly were they doing in the mean time? And how did they meet everyone else? I'd rather have found that out than the Alice story.

Mohinder, still crucifying himself with guilt, refuses to leave. Get over it! Self pity helps no-one, get back in the fight and help people if you want to make amends! That's what Nathan's doing, owning up to his mistakes and wanting to fix them. The family regroups with Nathan ready to go back to Washington only to find… he's already there! Sylar has already taken over Nathan's life again, just hasn't bothered to kill Nathan yet. Scary thing – he makes a better Nathan than Nathan! Yet again, the future is written in stone – Nathan will be president no matter what, just in some histories it's Sylar pretending to be Nathan ('Five Years Gone'). Every time they try to change the future, only the details change, the main events happen over and over. Seems Sylar got bored playing house with Danko and moved onto bigger things.

Last thoughts:
    - What did Claire do to her hair? It is really awful.
    - Young Daniel's accent is truly terrible, was the voice coach having a bad day? Bob, however, was well cast, reminded me enough of the older Bob to be believable. I also liked the casting of Charles, got the same vibe from him as from the older one.

Tons of angst sparking between family members, dark secrets and while some questions have been answered, whole new problems arise. There are major problems with the Alice storyline, but I still found the rest interesting. Some parts of the story are a lot shaky, but there's still a lot of good stuff in it.
  • They gather in some desert, dig up some kind of graveyard. Some flashbacks revealing Angela's sister Alice.

Teenager Angela (Alexa Nikolas) is a hottie.. and very similar face to older Angela.. nice casting.
    Young Chuck Deveaux revealed his very persuading power.
    Young Robert Bishop was a sissy as well as the late dad of Elle.
    Young Linderman looks like a sexual predator (the look on his face when he healed Angela's leg.)
    Alice's power is similar to Storm of the X-men although her emotions affect her power.
    Angela's dad got some kind of electro magnetic shockwave power but unfortunately, he got shot.. poor bastard!
    Peter and Nathan did some flying but doesn't seen unlike on previous episodes and what's up with Nathan's hair? Dude, you look like a pineapple.
    Peace!
  • The Petrellies are out at Coyote Sands with Claire and HRG digging up bodies looking for clues for Angela. She tells them she lived at Coyote Sands with her parents and a sister who she never told anyone she had.

Although not one of the best episodes of the show it doesn't deserve the terrible ratings I see alot of people have given it. One reviewer said it was a pure filler episode and I'd have to strongly disagree although i may be biast since i find the Petrelli's more interesting then any if the other characters although HRG and his family are a close second. I enjoyed the flashbacks and you learn several things from them some people said they dont matter but i think they do. And i like how at the end the families came together and I think if they manage to start a new company it will more than a match for anything that the goverment can create especially if Peter can ever start holding more than one power at a time. In the future id like to see a battle between Syler and Peter if he got his powers back.
< 1 2