Heroes

1961

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Apr 13, 2009 on NBC

7.7
  • Total Waste Of Television

I have removed this show from my DVR - it's not worth watching anymore.

The writers have jumped the track and cannot come up with a decent story line to save their souls.

The characters (outside of Syler) are dull, boring, whiney, people who should be rounded up and locked away for bad acting.

And I'm just over-all, tired of the show having no sense of direction....now we have to suffer through Angela P's past just to understand the future? I think not, she could have just said what happened and not have to make use re-live it with her....YAWN

This show could be cancelled tomorrow and I wouldn't think twice about trying to save it....it's become so bad that it should move to the sci-fi channel on Saturday nights and be the lead-in show to the next crappy movie that they churn out.

If you're going kill the show off, go for it now, because, quite frankly, the writers need to go back to school and learn to be writers again....
  • the most boring episode i've ever seen.

No offense to the actress, but the character of Angela is the most annoyingly boring character to watch.

the character itself is nothing more than a filler, and an excuse to drive the storyline in some other direction.

I imagine the writers sitting around a table going...
    "we need to make people do [this] in the next episode, but how do we transition into that?"
    "...Angela had a dream about it!! Then manages to convince a bunch of people to go with her for no reason"
    "but then how'd she convince them, she had to tell them something..?"
    "no... her dreams are confusing"

how do you remove characters like Arthur petrelli, or daphne, and keep such a crap character like angela on.
    seriously... kill this character off.
    it'll be a good excuse strengthen nathan and peter's resolve, and really bring the team together.
  • A story entail flashbacks with cute young versions of older characters, but everything else...er...

1.5
    One of the worst episodes yet. Oh wait, no, that would be the season 2 finale.
    The repetitive references and likening to the Holocaust was weak, cheap, and offensive. How do you liken an alleged "accidental massacre" to the Holocaust? In fact, the moment the flashback began, I wondered, "Why does this look like the Holocaust?"
    Likening Suresh and his father with the "calm down" thing was extremely corny. "OmiGawd, Evil Indian MaN GannA SLap Me!"
    And what was with the slap, by the way? Why on earth did Sr. Suresh slap Alice then abruptly mumble "Sorry"???
    Alice reads Alice in Wonderland. Alice calls her sister banana? How sweet and corny and vomit-inducing?
    Grown-up Alice looked absolutely bizarre, btw. And she looks older than Angela. I originally thought they were trying to rip of Storm from X-men with the gray hair, but when they turned her stupid/psychotic, and I was like, "Oh LOVELY. Another of those." I must admit, Sylar is getting really boring, but I haven't an interest in this creepy loserly hoser. "Waah, I was waiting for you, Banarnar!"
    So many plotholes...goodness gracious. And why are they constantly negating Sylar's abilities? Or has he forgotten that he acquired transformation from that random fat girl in season 2?
    I did enjoy the actress playing young Angela, but as for everything else...er...Zachary Qunito, get out while you still can!!
  • Are you kidding me, there are 2 more episodes?

1.5
    What more can be said? "If you dig it, she will come..." Staying true to Heroes fashion, a seemingly essential character (At least to Angela's character arc) is introduced and immediately written out, this time in less than one episode. If Alice is/was so important to Angela, why is she already forgotten so quickly? At least they didn't waste half a season trying to develop her before forgetting she ever existed, ala Adam Monroe.

Is the name of the company just 'The Company'? Primatech, Pinehearst, Building 26- all just fronts for an organization known simply as 'The Company' (TC)? If this was the beginning of TC, was there ever a formal organization throughout time or was Linderman's collection of artifacts from Season 1 just that?

I thought the show was called Heroes, not Lamoes (Lame-o's) or Whinoes (Whine-o's). The 'woe is me' act is equally tired as TC. Just when I expected this week's episode to have some kind of redemptive quality from last week's snoozer, my conclusion of this series was confirmed. They've been able to homogenize all the characters making them all equally boring and uninteresting. The unrelenting monotony has destroyed what has made the characters so unique. Nathan having to conceal his ability all season, Peter barely having only 1 at a time, Ando's super-charging ability usurped by baby Matt Parkman (I think used only once all season that time with Daphne...), Hiro being basically useless, Tracy in the hot-box all season before her demise... The only character seemingly progressing in the series has been Sylar. Will the show get better in the last two episodes of the season? Who cares... any vested interest in any character has diminished. The plight of the powerless heroes just isn't compelling enough to watch anymore. Consider this the episode that put the nail in the coffin- the series finale in my book.
  • Well I did it, I removed heroes from my DVR schedule :(

I might be the only person to feel this way on TV.com who watched Heroes, but i'll say it anyway.

The first season for me was such a great ride, it introduced us to characters who were finding out about their abilities and by the end of that season learned how to use them for good or evil. Personally, I've been hoping that the show would start becoming less a soap opera or smallville-ish without all the little personal family struggles. But more importantly for a show to be called HEROES I've been really praying to see atleast one of the so called "heroes" to do anything remotely close to heroic. The show is so dull! The way I see it there's Peter whom in season 1 was really starting to become a bada**, then his "epic" battle against sylar whom matched up evenly on powers, Peter couldn't even fight his own battle with him. Then the seasons progressed and the only things he's managed to capture is the ability to whine and whimper off, or complain cause Mommy & Daddy did terrible things he just can't agree with!!!

Don't even get me started with the rest of the character build up, it's sad whenever you cheer on the Villans cause their the only ones actually doing anything or developing in any sort of fashion... This episode was just so dull with the Petrelli family sitting around a table discussing we're going to start a company again. Who the heck would be afraid of them??? I mean Angela and HRG are the only ones that can actually commit and finish ANYTHING. Nathan, Peter, & good gawd Claire, amount to nothing - one complains all the time, one throws little tantrums, and the other switches back and forth so darn much that it's annoying!!!

And come on did we really need 1 full episode with some big dramatic "meet Angela's sister" for this kind of explaination??? This was such a boring reason for all the hardships she put so many through. Her sister seemed like a cool concept, but really? They couldn't come up with a better storyline as to whats happened with her, showed that she is in fact a threat or liability? I mean there was no da** point as to why they had to dig up graves, just so she could explain, I left my sister here... UGHHH!!!!

In short, i'm just done with the show... I had such high hopes but holding out this long has left me really jaded with even the concept, it's sad to say but i'd much rather watch dancing with the stars nowadays.. So i say to thee, farewell heroes you had great potential just no substance after your first season
  • So bad it's sad. Torture to sit through, considered giving up and writing off the series altogether.

2.5
    I am a huge fan as I'm sure many others here are as well. However, this episode single-handedly zapped my enthusiasm for this series.

Angela has a flashback to 1961 and then suddenly it's black and white which looked really bad because it's like in high definition with no "old scratchy" quality to the picture...just in black and white...in HD. Totally lame and pointless.

None of the flashback characters were interesting or engaging. Quite the opposite. We see Dr. Suresh Sr., Mohinder's father, who is flat and uninteresting. I tried to tune out the rest of the episode as it was just too lame to stomach. Sad day for fans.
  • A sad end to a great idea

2.5
    This is the worst dialog I've ever seen on a primetime show. I understand that it is possible to accidently hire a bad writer every now and then, but isn't there supposed to a vetting process… I mean for god sake they have table readings… aren't the actors at least complaining about the garbage their expected to spout on national television!? It used to be such a great show… seems like ever since they came back from SB it's been done half bootyed. I've seen every single episode up to this one, but I just couldn't suffer through this whole episode… Sorry heroes, I'm done.
  • nothing happened during this whole episode, sure Angelia's crazy sister that was "not coming back" and that mohinder's father somehow knew about the people with powers even though he began researching it when his daughter was born because she had powers

Wouldn't mohinder's father have been younger... Why do they keep on making endless plot holes, where is the Katlin the Irish woman peter took to the future, where is Monica, where is Micah where is that guy that can fly claires boyfriend. What has happened to this show, I watch it even though it is and because I am waiting for one of those good episodes the one's that were common in season 1 but have gone completely now. I used to look forward to watching Heroes now Lost has over taken it they were going bad for a while but picked up why can't the writers FIX stuff they have mucked up constantly and they need to add new characters in and KEEP them in. The characters with powers at the moment are the same as the season one characters all the New characters have either died or disappeared for no apparent reason COME ON heroes fix your episodes!!!
  • Useless episode.

Reading all the negative reviews and experiencing the crappola myself, I have to agree. This episode was a complete waste of time. It is good to see that some of us, still use their noodle to spot crap when they see it. I want to point out one huge inconsistency that is obvious in this episode, it is regrading dr. Suresh's father. As we know in episode 1, he was being amazed about existence of people with abilities, yet in this episode he witnessed such people way back in the past. Anyways, this show has been hijacked by the Petrelli family, and in this episode we basically witnessed a soup opera. And yes, every character outside Sylar became so blah and boring, that it does not matter if he/she dies. Why did we have to go back to 1961, this whole concept could have been told in 5 minutes. Writers you took a week off, now get back to work. This show had a history of some of the worst final episodes on record, this time around the regular season is sub par, so please at least give us a good finale.
  • Why did they even bother with this one? giving this one more then 3 is a crime against humanity!

Where to begin: 1. Who gives a flying F#$% what happened to Angela as a girl and why do we need to see another flashback...why, why... it's so boring...she could have just told them about it...

2. Why did they have to dig all the graves? what purpose did it serve? 3. This episode looked like one big group therapy...they talked us all to sleep. I think the writers wanted to put all the character development that we missed before into one episode.

4. Claire and Peter couldn't be more Annoying...

5. Are we really supposed to believe that her sister stayed in the last 50 years in the desert just because Angela told her to?...I mean she couldn't have gotten a ride to Vegas or something...become a striper ? 50 years she stayed there...OMG what BS...

6. This show should be called Syler...he is the only interesting character and we all hope he will kill the other characters and have a show of his own...

7. I've noticed that two good shows that went really bad, Heroes and Prison Break are both using the name "the Company" to represent the bad guys. In the good shows we had actual names for the bad guys but the bad shows....

let it be a warning that if the bad guys don't have a real name like let's say "Starkwood" on "24" or Cylons etc. then the writers of that show are probably too lazy to find a good name and therefore they are probably too lazy to make a good show...

8. When Peter said we are not a company but a family I really thought he was going to form a Mafia group...who knows maybe they should do a spin off for the Sopranos...the Heroes version... Tony Soprano kills people with light bolts from his mouth or something...

In short...this is real pure crap and I don't know what to do with this show...It's so bad....
    They had a good episode before but it's not enough to make up for this crap. The ending of the episode with Syler as Nathan was promising...again because I knew syler is back. P.S all you kids giving this show 10's and 9's is why we get this crap of TV. If all you want is some flying people and that's all then there are enough crappy SCI-FI crap out there....this is really, really bad!!!
  • This episode was the big daddy of all the previous episodes that let me down, only this one let me so far down that I feel I will never recover.

3.5
    So yeahh, lets get into the heads of the story writers here. It's obvious that they are really struggling to get to grips with solid story lines and character building. You can tell it's a case of "inhale.... YEAH! lets do that..."

None of the hero characters are consistent anymore and you can't feel for any of them. They all claim to be good and then do bad things.

This episode was just silly.. Did Angela RRRREALLY need to get her family to dig up dead bodies (which they did very accurately by the way) just to prove there were dead bodies there? I mean, couldn't she have just said "Yes, there are dead bodies there and if you don't believe me have a dig". And then, the best part of all, her sister. I mean, in the 40 years apart, did it not cross Angelas mind to go visit that place at least once just to see if her sister was there? It would have saved alot of aggro really.

Hmm, inconsistancies? (I've lost count to be honest).
    So Sylar is a shape shifter, he got it off a guy who had a wardrobe full of different clothes to match the new human shapes he'd match. Only, Sylar can actually change his clothes too. (A very late convenient fix there)...

What else.. oh yeah Peter.. now correct me if I'm wrong but he can borrow people's powers yeah? So how come all of a sudden he can keep peoples powers when it suits him... like, the shape shifting power. Surely he would only have that when near sylar? (touching him).. but no, convenience lets him just have it all of a sudden.

What else, oh yeah Matt Parkman.. so he can tell people what to do but not in a loud noise YET in one episode he was still able to tell people what to do with an alarm going. Why is he even bothered about ANYONE if he can just tell them what to do? I mean, couldn't him and Hero basically solve every problem that ever existed?

Oh and he can paint the future now (oo that's original writers, well done).

And dad dude yeah? You are either protecting your daughter or you aren't ok? Just move away for crying out loud. Just pack your bags and move to a different country and stay there for the next few years. Nobody gives a crap about you ok? you are causing all the bloody problems.

The funny thing about the whole story is that, the whole problem has been caused by the heroes themselves. Has everyone forgotten that Nathan was a complete git and tried to capture them all?? What was that all about? If he hadn't done that they wouldn't have all these problems.

I really don't care about any of the characters anymore because they are all stupid, ignorant and selfish.

I'm done.
  • I think this quote is the lowest point of this show "I have socks for you."

3.5
    I recorded this episode and had to rewind it several times to make sure, did I hear it write "I have socks for you." can you spell LAME. the idea of someone telling you to stay in one place until you comeback, and they wait for you for fifty years is so incredibly stupid and LAME.

They have also turned this show, specially in this episode into a messy mini soap opera. Dr Suresh senior's camp could have been a saving point of this episode but it was very poorly put together and portrayed. It could have been so much more interesting.

I am also getting a little tired of the whole Petrelli family condescending and selfish attitude which the show tries to portray as brave and hero like. The only remotely interesting part was the end with Sylar taking Nathan's form. Oh and young Angela was kind of cute.
  • A look back at events we didn't know existed until two episodes ago and have never cared about. It's Angela's show this time around, and that's always a scary prospect.

According to Hulu.com, 1:57 is how long it took me to dislike this episode. I don't really understand what happened... Heroes had such momentum going during this volume. The show had been on a high, in my opinion. And then this episode happened. It just seemed like every professional in charge of making this show happen behind the scenes took the day off and let the... *shudder*... webisode... *shudder* makers take the lead. Everything was just low quality and... how do I put this? B-Team. They didn't have their A-Team running the show. I don't know the specifics behind the names of the writers, directors, etc and how they change from episode to episode, but I think this episode was in stark contrast to what had been the current norm. 1:57 in the episode is representative of the camera work happening. The whole episode had this home-video feel to it-- a sort of Blair-witch thing happening. The cameras were hardly still; in fact, they bounced around as if the filming crew had their memories erased and they were suddenly at the mental states of their 10 year old selves... No, nothing that terrible would ever happen in real life. It wasn't just the movement of the cameras that bothered me. The framing killed me! During the whole Diner scene between Peter and Nathan, the upper frame cut the actors off right in the middle of their forehead. It was so awkward. At one point, Peter's eye gets cut off by the upper frame. So we're left to focus on his weird lip thing right in the middle of the screen. If you're interested in huluing it, it's at 15:42. Besides the Sylar-style camera head slicing, sometimes the cameras were WAY too close to the subjects. Every time Angela bolted up out of bed due to one of her nightmares I had to jump back and go AAAAHHHH!! Too much Angela! Right in my face! Jibbly! (28:05). To make my next point, I would like to just write down for you the lines of dialogue that transpired in this scene: Noah: "You and I have made a mess of things."
    Nathan: "Yes we did."
    Noah: "Danko is working with Sylar. Sylar can change his shape, he can be anybody. He almost made me kill my wife."
    Claire: "What was the last book you read?" W
    Because I can't remember." T
    Not the last book I read, the last movie I saw... Remember movie nights? We used to rent old movies and eat popcorn." F
    ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Did I miss something? Does the immensity of the situation- you know, talking about Sylar shapeshifting and wanting to eat brains and conquer the world while surrounded by graves of the dead children that were killed in a government project to round up specials meant to remind us of Nathan's current stupid plan- merit a talk about movie nights?? Woman, get in line! My favorite part about all this is Claire's very next line: "You know, I should be a basket case. Digging up graves... I should be, but I'm not."
    You just keep telling yourself that Christie... Next thing you know, she'll be spinning in circles saying "It's corn and corn alone day!" (Corn chips are no place for a mighty warrior.)

On to lesser gripes:
    I'm not a huge fan of the half-black and white for two reasons: 1. They already used it a few episodes ago during Noah's induced flashback. It was pretty cool then, new and creative, but using it again like 6 episodes later is neither new nor creative. Every Heroes season has a flashback episode: Four Months Ago, Six Months Ago, etc. Season 3 has had two, one for each chapter, which makes sense to me. This episode is the *second* flashback episode in one chapter, the *third* in one season. I just don't feel like we need that much. 2. The black and white just didn't work that well. It was done kinda poorly. Zach pointed out that it seems like they just shot it all in color and then decided to go back and make it all black and white digitally, making the lighting and coloring not as effective. Instead of the beautiful range of grays inbetween black and white you get in true black and white, we got dark and really dark. I wasn't a huge fan of the whole differerent-actors-to-be-their-younger-selves thing. Linderman was weird, if not already outright stalker creepish. "Here, let me touch your leg..." "I uh, think it's healed." "No, wait, give it time... Mmm... nice time..." Charles Deveaux seemed completely out of character from what we knew of him in season 1. I've decided I don't like Claire's hair right now. 1. When does she find the time to get all these new hair styles? Does her spontaneous cell regeneration mean she spontaneously generates new hairdos? I could kind of seeing her becoming more blond as a byproduct of her power because her natural color is generating itself, except that that would make more sense the other way around. In seasons 1 and 2 she clearly had highlights, which would mean her hair is naturally a more brownish color, but we can't have that because brown hair Claire = Evil Claire = Emo Claire. 2. Something is just weird. I think it might be the bangs that give her this creepy 1950's invasion of the body snatchers kind of look. (Less of me referencing the actual movie from the 1950's and more of me saying her body was snatched and replaced by someone who looks like they're from the 1950's.)

Angela is an overactor. Or overactress, as it were. Everything she says is just dripping with melodrama. She's complaining about this horribly scarring event that happened during her childhood. She tells Claire, "Did you ever do something so awful, something you are so ashamed of, that you think if you ever talk about it, you might never stop crying?" (As if a 16 year old anyone can really say yes to this) And at this point, we're trucking right along. All we've ever known is Angela who lies, manipulates, and twists truths, people, and situations around to meet her own ends. We're totally on board for this awful thing she's done. But at the end of the episode we find out that she... lied that her sister would be safe while she goes galavanting off to a diner with some boys? She claimed she knew all the people buried at Coyote Sands, yet she was there for what? Maybe two weeks? She claimed she *knew* that her sister had died, but she never even saw her body? What of this was really her fault? She dreamt of the death and that it was connected with Chandra. She told the boys, her sister, and Chandra himself. She's just an overactor. I used to like Angela through Volumes 1-3. When she started appearing in every webisode between Volumes 3-4, she's since carried the taint of webisode on her. The feel of trying too hard, as if it will boost her pay. The whole climax of the episode where we discover just how the kids die. Alice freaks out and accidentally weatherizes the camp. Not her fault. She tries to run away from Dr. Suresh, so to try to calm her, he.... Chris Browns her?? Was the open palm to the face really necessary? So then cool sonic wave guy comes out to help her, pushing the guard over, so the guard.... shoots him in the heart?? And then all the other guards feel the blood lust and massacre the children??? Am I the only one who feels like this makes less sense than West ever having a girlfriend? Screaming destroys all acting ability.
    "What are you doing here!?"
    "I Found This."
    All in one tone. No inflection. (17:38) (This paragraph was typed in all caps for effect but apparently I can't do that here). I guess that was more minor gripes than I anticipated. Believe it or not, there were actually some things I thought were good about this episode:
    The young Angela not only looked like older Angela at times, but she was a pretty good actress. She portrayed Angela's overacting well, without becoming too much of an overactor herself. She had good chemistry with Alice and Charles. She actually reminded me a lot of Anna Paquin in her role as Rogue in the X-Men.

Young Bob Bishop looked amusingly liked Older Bishop. I could totally buy his portrayal of a younger Bob.

Mohinder deciding to stay at Coyote Sands. Hooray! No more Mohinder!...? I can haz? Awesome grown up Alice. Definitely the crazy cat lady from the Simpsons, times 16. Link attached for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkMvKeX7erI&feature=related

Sylar becoming Nathan. This was really the best part of the episode: the part that actually carried on the story line that mattered. It sends shivers down your back to think of what Sylar will actually do and how he's still moving towards the future we saw in Five Years Gone. I think in the end what bothered me most about this episode is how much it didn't matter. It was pure, unashamed filler material. Yeah, it's kinda cool to learn about Angela's past... kinda? But we're learning this big secret from the past... that we only learned two episodes ago existed. We sort of get to learn about the foundation of the company, but what have we learned? That some 16 year old kids decided to make a company based solely on the fact that one of them (who we now know is lying manipulator) claimed to dream that they had formed a company? We know Linderman went to Vietnam in the war, so this can't have happened soon. It must have taken several more years for them to establish anything. Bob can make gold, but he can't make maturity appear. I was watching Bolt last night and something in the way the movie was told reminded me of this episode of Heroes. I realized that sometimes a great plot makes a story, but a story should never try to make a plot. That's what happened in that movie and that's what happened here. They had this idea they wanted to run with but they stretched things and made them too loose, too weak, too ridiculous to hold much weight. And in the end, it all didn't really even matter. Philly D's twitter yesterday said: "I don't know if its bc I feel bleh, but I'm just not digging Heroes this week. I could give a s*** about the younger sister. I think why I feel that way about the latest episode of Heroes, is it has not really had any direction or goal *Save the world* ect"

I hope I don't seem like I like to just point out the negative in everything. Like I've said, I think Heroes has been awesome recently. I'm a passionate person, so when I like something, I really like something, and the same can be said about my dislikes. My opinion isn't the only one out there. Here is a link to a review that thought this episode was great: http://tv.ign.com/articles/972/972517p1.html So oh well. All I know is that the next episode should be awesome! So excited!

Also, in this week's graphic novel, we see Rachel Mills, who apparently killed her partner for finding out about her, on the run from the government as well. She freed at least three specials, including Puppet Man. I guess we'll see if she will have any more episode appearances.
  • Boring, useless episode.

Created an account just to write this review.

Most boring episode of the series. There was no point in showing this episode. No relevance at all to the main story . . just a filler episode. Where is all the action and mystery that kept me hooked to heroes? They should stop adding more characters and develop the ones they already have.. In the first season at least I was able to connect with some characters. Now, I just don't care what happens to them anymore. They keep on running around with no purpose . . . Hopefully the next 2 episodes will be better.
  • all in all a very average ep and it was definately a fill in.

what a waste of an episode. i think its 50/50 for the next season.... cant beleive how the show has become sooo painful to watch.

perfect example of how a fantastic idea can be destroyed by lazy writing.

i hope they can bring the show back to some sort of glory... pete vs sylar... destruction, action, mayhem.. but first peter needs to grow a pair and they need to get his his full powers back..
    we needs more villans too.......
    does danko have a power?

so over boring fill in episodes with everyone whining and complaining. peter was carrying on like a spoilt child, (peter really needs to grow a pair and starting acting like "future peter"), nathan posed the whole time, HRG stood around too. claire and angela were good.. but what was the point of seeing the sister? hope the last 2 eps are better.....
    fingers crossed.
  • "Banana", the Weather Witch, and the most boring episode of Season 3.

5.5
    1961 had it's intentions in the right place, but it's too bad I couldn't get engaged in this story. (I never can when it comes to revealing someone who's never existed and trying to make me care about her.)

I didn't care that Angela had a sister, and since we may never see her again, this all didn't seem to matter. The acting during the sandstorm was awful, and what was the point? The idea that she's out there, waiting to strike again, only annoys me further. What should have been a clever way of showing history repeating itself, I see as Heroes, the show, repeating itself. The parallels of people entrapping others with powers was interesting to explore in the 60s, but with continuity issues like Mohinder's father (who should be a teen just like the others) and the overall idea of saying "oh look, here's a mysterious family member that mom clearly loves dearly except there was no mention of her ever until now." Just doesn't fly with me. Angela's line about just wanting to keep secrets or talking about it "hurts too much" is bull. I liked seeing Devaux, Bishop, and Linderman as teens, and evoking some of those Vol 2 Generations/Company themes was nice. But the heavy-handed relationship between Angela and Alice ("Say Goodnight, Alice- Goodnight Alice," a going nowhere metaphor with the book Alice in Wonderland) weakened that plot for me. Even the present day plot, with Peter buzzing off to a cafe, and Nathan trying to pull the family together was dry and uninteresting. But I forgive it because at least the writers are taking time to settle the issues left by many characters. Also, this episode only further highlighted why it was a bad idea to give Mohinder powers (let alone keep him alive). To try and parallel him to his father doesn't quite work, because we know Mohinder isn't even normal anymore. They needed him to be a grounded human being- the one voice of scientific reason on this show. Obviously the writers are trying to get him back to that, but he can't be what his father was if he's hulking out in signs of danger. And finally there's the issue of the blatant "power plagiarism." In the X-Men universe, there are many characters that share or have similar abilities to others. But there is only one known popular mutant with the power the control the weather. Heroes as a premise promised to have its own identity from the usual comic book fare many of us are used to. Unique spins on abilities are tricky when almost everything has already been done, but Heroes needs to be as original as they can when it comes to some of this stuff. Sometimes they succeed. Yet they continue to rip ideas right out from the pages of our favorite comics, quite literally in some cases, and here, we're given not a character that's sort of like Storm- no it's Storm completely. Except old and ugly. How disappointing.
  • melodramatic, trite, boring

Heroes has suffered through highs and lows, especially in this Volume. There have been really, really good episodes and then there have been just-okay mediocre episodes. And then there's this episode, which is neither. This episode, I'm shrugging my shoulders in befuddlement. It was. . .really bad. It oozed cheese from every angle, the acting was atrocious at all corners. It was like I flipped channels and it was the Days of Our 4400. (Apologies to any 4400 fans.) Seriously, it was like a whiny, preachy, primetime, convoluted science-fiction soap opera. I don't know how this happened and it's best it will never happen again. The Petrellis, Noah, and Claire dig up remains from Coyote Sands. Peter asks about the significance of the site. Angela flashes to the past (in black and white no less. Sigh, when will Heroes learn that it bugs the heck out of me when they do that and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone) to 1961, where Kennedy was still President. In case you didn't remember, Heroes patches the obvious history lesson for us. Thanks. Angela and her sister Alice are dropped off to Coyote Sands, a government hold-up for people with powers. Think of it as the Primatech for the normal humans. Think of it as interment camps for heroes. Somehow, the government found out about the heroes in the 60s (well, it is in a time where the US and Soviets supposedly were investigating the paranormal but that's a subject to uncover at a later time.) The government experimented, documented, and sometimes murdered the heroes to uncover the source of their powers to manipulate and control them for the "good" of the country. Head scientist of the operation? Chandra Suresh, Mohinder's daddy. Was he a tool? Was he a man with good intentions? I have no idea because Heroes never supplied a coherent answer for just what his involvement with the program was. See, Heroes came up with the "bright" idea to tell us what was going on but never showing us any of the exact atrocities Coyote Sands personal committed. Angela and Alice stick together but Angela becomes fast friends with younger versions of Charles Devaiox (Simone's father), Bob Bishop, and Daniel Linderman. I did enjoy the younger versions of Angela and company, especially with Bob being a gawky, awkward, slightly nerdy teen. I especially enjoyed Linderman and the younger version of him was spot-on. Charles knows something is wrong with Coyote Sands and tries to convince Angela to take action. Angela just wants to be a good girl and stay out of trouble. In the present, Angela believes her sister is still alive since the desert winds kick off, her sister is revealed to being able to manipulate the weather, and Angela is whisked away by a storm. Noah meets up with Mohinder and I think through a case of bad editing (Noah is in the desert and in a shelter a split second later and Mohinder's dialogue sounds clipped) that Mohinder is there to uncover his father's involvement in the project. Get in line, I still have no idea. Meanwhile, Peter gets pissy about having his brother around him and like a drama-queen, flies off to a nearby cafe. Nathan follows and tries to convince Peter that they need to stick together, for family. Yeah, yeah, yeah. At Coyote Sands, Claire finds Alice's battered copy of Alice in Wonderland (ha ;{). Claire ponders how much she's changed, how much of a normal life she had to give up and how much of that life she's lost. Her innocence is gone and she's no longer able to fully get it back. Price of wanting to have that life in the first place. Angela wakes in a bunker and sees a withered Alice: old, dusty, and a bit crazy. Angela tries to reconnect with her but Alice is mostly gone. More flashbacks ensue. Angela tries to warn Suresh about impending doom but he doesn't believe her. Charles convinces her to sneak up with Bob, Linderman, and him to town to warn people. Angela tries to bring her sister but for some reason, Charles believes Alice would slow them down. Uh, does he not know her ability? Angela promises Alice that she'll be back soon and to stay in Coyote Sands, where it's safe. Angela, Charles, and crew go to the cafe. Angela tries to warn someone while the rest chill out, enjoying freedom. Charles convinces her to dance and after some 60s racism, Charles reveals that his power is mind-bending. Doesn't explain anything about Peter's vision back in How to Stop an Exploding Man. Maybe that vision will never be explained. A weather report has Angela urging that something's wrong with Alice. Alice is about to be experimented on by Suresh but she freaks, creates a storm, and tries to escape. A man tries to shoot her while a hero saves her and from then on, chaos is created as gunshots are panickedly fired at heroes and Alice hides. She stayed at Coyote Sands since then because sweet sister Angela said Coyote Sands was safe and for further explanation, Alice believed she caused the slaughter. It wasn't entirely her fault but due to bad editing and refusing to show the corruption of the camp, viewers are going to think otherwise. Angela admits her lie and Alice whips up a storm. Angela is saved by Peter and Alice disappears. Everyone except Mohinder goes to the cafe (Mohinder stays at Coyote Sands to sort through just what his father did to the heroes. Good luck.), enjoying the old music and some fries. Angela is saddened but wiser (hey, this episode was one giant cliche, so bear with me) and feels her sister is gone. But at least she can let go of the past. It was the shooting that inspired Angela to convince young Bob, Charles, and Linderman to form a company to protect heroes from incidents like these, to preserve the heroes, no matter what the cost. Don't forget that Primatech caused a lot of hero turmoil over the years as well but whatever. They became the same thing they were fighting. Leave it at that because Heroes didn't even bother to point that out. Peter accepts the company of his family and informs them from now on, they work together as a family, not a company. Oh yeah, and Nathan's forgiven. Nathan's pleased. He plans to go back to Washington but a tv channel informs him that Sylar beat him to it and is now impersonating him. I would have loved to see why Sylar suddenly decided to impersonate Nathan when last episode he was merrily toying with Noah and that would have been preferable to the majority of this episode. Even the Eclipse episodes were not as bad as this one because at least in the Eclipse-episodes, something happens. In here, nothing really happens. The Petrellis are reunited and Angela moves on from her past. That's it. The acting was terrible. Mohinder spoke out-of-accent during the storm. Peter was a major diva. Surprisingly, even Noah was not that good in here and spoke in clipped, vague sentences. Since I thought he was Sylar throughout the episode, I thought that was done on purpose but no. A bigger shocker was that the best part came from Claire. Her speech about losing her normal life was incredible and was the best part about the whole episode. It shows how much Claire has matured, especially throughout this one volume, and is a good indicator of the sacrifices the heroes have made, being forced to step out of the normal world and never completely being a part of that world again because they will always feel and people will treat them like freaks. Bottom line: if you haven't seen this episode, skip it. Hopefully, the rest of the episodes this volume will be good.
  • They gather in some desert, dig up some kind of graveyard. Some flashbacks revealing Angela's sister Alice.

Teenager Angela (Alexa Nikolas) is a hottie.. and very similar face to older Angela.. nice casting.
    Young Chuck Deveaux revealed his very persuading power.
    Young Robert Bishop was a sissy as well as the late dad of Elle.
    Young Linderman looks like a sexual predator (the look on his face when he healed Angela's leg.)
    Alice's power is similar to Storm of the X-men although her emotions affect her power.
    Angela's dad got some kind of electro magnetic shockwave power but unfortunately, he got shot.. poor bastard!
    Peter and Nathan did some flying but doesn't seen unlike on previous episodes and what's up with Nathan's hair? Dude, you look like a pineapple.
    Peace!
  • Boring and not what I expected, but at least it had some good to it. Warning, spoilers ahead.

An interesting start as we see Angela's life as a young girl through flashbacks. It started out okay, but I was pretty disappointed with the episode overall. It did give us a nice look at what happened before, but they kept stalling scenes and then it would go to commercial, only to air again and stall some more. And what was with Angela's sister, she shows up for like a few minutes, like a crazy nut, and just disappears again. The very end of the episode was promising though; it seems we will be in for a good episode next week. Too bad this episode felt a little like a filler. I would say this was one of the worst episodes to date, hopefully they learn from this hiccup.
  • And so Heroes lets loose with the flashbacks again, lending credence to the notion that it's becoming the new Lost.

And so Heroes lets loose with the flashbacks again, lending credence to the notion that it's becoming the new Lost. The black and white retrospective was an original and rewarding concept when it was first utilised in season one's 'Company Man' but by this point, it's so old hat, so passe, that you wonder why the production staff seem so obsessed with it. Oh sure, it looks nice and gives the director of photography an opportunity to revel in all the chiaroscuro possibilities, but as a viewing experience, it's tiresome, particularly when one considers the rather blase and ultimately pointless nature of the episode itself. Great, so it rebuilds the seemingly annihilated Petrelli bridge, bringing Angela, Peter, Nathan, Claire and HRG back together in at least a fairly understandable fashion, but the method by which this is achieved is pretty lacking. We aren't given enough of an opportunity to engage with Alice in order to empathise with her plight and it's a bit difficult to believe that she's been living in that government bunker for fifty years. Furthermore, there's some woeful over-acting from a large number of the cast, not the least of which is Christine Rose who is uncharacteristically hammy. Perhaps it's the less-than-stellar dialogue that hampers things. Still, it's not all bad: there's a promising cliffhanger, young Alice and Angela are arguably better than their adult counterparts and there's a lovely nod to continuity with Angela's sock-stealing, which is actually referenced in 'Genesis' (the pilot episode) and given a thoroughly logical explanation here. It's just a shame that, for a show so desperately in need of some forward momentum, it continues to produce episodes like '1961' which, while passable in their own right, when taken altogether, frustrate rather than satisfy.
  • not the best episodes but enjoyed angela's flashbacks.

the petrelli family goes to coyote sands in search of angela's long lost sister and the truth. there they discover that she is still alive and has the ability to manipulate the weather. angela has flashbacks of the year 1961 where we meet a younger bob bishop, linderman and Charles Devereaux (from season 1). the flashbacks were useful as the viewer learned more about angela but it had nothing to do with the current storyline. there was no mention of a plan to take down the government agents and sylar. hopefully the writers will do something better with the 2 remaining episodes and get their heads in the game for season 4. still love heroes though!!!!!!!
  • liked it but...

I really enjoyed this episode. It was interesting to find out that stuff about Angela and the Petrelli's past and all. BUT it was kind of pointless. Not really needed. Just a filler episode. Maybe all this will be important later. But we didn't really NEED to know all of that stuff about the past. Even though I totally liked this episode. Of course I love almost any episode that has a lot of Peter and Claire in it since their my favorites. But I wish there could've been some Hiro scenes because I really want to know what is going on with them. But overall it was a useless episode.
  • Filler episode that still leaves questions

My grandmother grew up in Atlanta, Georgia in the 1950's and 1960's. She doesn't watch shows like this but while I was watching "Heroes", she looked up from what she was doing and gasped to hear the waiter bark at Angela and Charles that they don't "dance with colored people". I'm sure she remembers more events before my time that turned up in this episode: the Cold War, the black-and-white flashbacks, the comments about "Communists" and "this happened before with the Nazis and the Jews". Why did Angela Petrelli start a Company? My theory is that she didn't want to compromise with government order or be exposed to the world as a freak. Alternatively, mention of concentration camps makes us all say "never again". At least with her own secret society, Angela and her friends could call the shots. They'd have to lie, murder, and blackmail people but they could keep their secrets safe. At least for a while.

The good: This episode is about forgiveness. The Petrellis, always at each other's throats, are now surviving by sticking together after everyone has been kicked out of Nathan's project (including Nathan). Being stripped down forces them to look at one another and admit their mistakes. Noah Bennett confesses he also failed to get inside and thwart the government project. While Peter still holds a grudge against Nathan for all of the suffering he's caused, Claire is more forgiving with both of her fathers and judging by her facial expression, she's coming to a satisfying maturity.

The not-so-good: Mohinder discovers his father was working in Coyote Sands and deduces that Chandra Suresh was another Dr. Mengele (the "Angel of Death" who experiment on people at the Auswitz concentration camp). I come from a family of Jewish survivors so that comment pricked. Sometimes science fiction bleeds into reality a little too close for my taste. I love Mohinder's character but feel he's been neglected this entire season--starting with the ridiculous bug mutation. After "Fugitives" began, other fans were asking what was Dr. Suresh still doing on the show as he didn't seem to have a purpose anymore. Perhaps the writers are trying to draw parallel lines between Mohinder and Chandra Suresh but it only makes things more confusing. We thought the death of Shanti Suresh was the portal to Chandra's research in season one. Now suddenly it seems that he knew about people with abilities and was working on it years before he even had children! If it becomes a "mind wipe" scenario then I'll be very disappointed. By now I wish the writers would start taking out comments to heart. Stop putting characters into such helplessly impossible situations that they cannot dig themselves out and need an unlikely twist or plothole to save themselves. It's something I would have expected back in "Villains" and by now I'm disappointed to see a step backwards for "Fugitives". Mohinder comments that he must have hope for redemption for everyone else, even Nathan. Why can't the writers give Mohinder a way to redeem himself?

The surprise new guest: "Fugitives" has been shaping up better than "Villains" but the introduction of Angela's sister Alice, a survivor and weather-master, was a bit of a disappointment. Too much like the sudden surprise return of Arthur Petrelli. Too many characters are coming in and coming out without a sense of purpose. In season one everyone had their role to play and it fit together beautifully. Everyone has their time and place, a sense of destiny. But now we get the sudden appearance and disappearance of a sister who begrudges Angela for abandoning her….what is the purpose? Why bring in people like Luke, Alex, and Alice and then just chuck them out?

It's two episodes to the finale and I've noticed "Fugitives" like to flip between low-key episodes of character development and tense episodes full of action. So the ending to this Petrelli-centered episode was very fitting for any fan of the "Five Years Gone" scenario. I'm sure jaws dropped when we realized it was Sylar impersonating Nathan on television. The show got into a big mess with "Villains" so I hope the last 2 episodes of "Fugitives" can pull them out….or at least have us feeling more satisfied before "Redemption" begins. And I want someone at NBC to know that there are still many "Heroes" fans out there who still believe that this show can-and will be-redeemed in the near future. It just needs better writing and storytelling.
  • It's Better

This week's installment of Heroes brought a whole new perspective to the show. We were finally given the chance to witness what happened during Angela's child hood.

This episode had a very Lost style feel to it with flashbacks of Angela's dark past. They mainly revolve around the starting of the company and Angela's relationship with her sister which I thought was very well done throughout. It brought a new spin on things and we also were given the chance to see a younger Charles Deveaux. His character had remained a mystery throughout the seasons but we were finally given a small glimpse of who he was. The main reason why the episode was not superb is mainly because of the rest of the cast, unfortunately they were not given a very imaginitive script. It appears they gave all the best lines to Angela, which isn't really a bad thing but it just felt like time was being wasted with Peter getting upset and flying off. I think our main protagonist needs to grow a bit more of a back bone instead of crying and running away. Anyway to end on a good note this is not a bad episode. It isn't perfect but it is not abysmal at all. Each episode is getting better and better and it's just unfortunate we are near the end of the season. High hopes for season 4!!!
  • Informative and entertaining episode.

It was a filler episode, but a good one, is nice to see Linderman and Bishop again, even if it is their younger versions.

I didn't had clear until last night which powers Deveaux had, after all, I just saw him in Peter's dreams, and for that reason I think it was cool to be shown what he could do in a very subtle yet nice way.

And finally, I LOVED Alexa Nikolas' performance as young Angela, they actually look similar to me, specially when they smile, it was a nice cast decision.
  • A good idea but not effective enough.

This is the lowest score I ever gave to an episode of Heroes.It was a weak , kind of out of order episode. First , is Chandra Suresh like 10 years older than Angela?I mean she was 16 in 1961 so now she is 64 , that means Chandra would be like 74 now if he wasn't dead? , that doesn't make sense. Peter changes his mind about his brother every episode and that is starting to annoy me. Poor acting specially from Christine Rose and Hayden. The Petrelli family have to solve once and for all their family issues and start doing something interesting because the drama is starting to be repetitive and pointless. I hope that now that Angela has some kind of closure now that she saw her sister ( how lame is to stay in the same place for 50 years because your sister tells you so) the end of the season focuses more on stoping Sylar and Danko than about whining about family problems.
  • Coyote Sands: What FEMA concentration camps will be like

Coyote Sands: A chilling indication of what FEMA concentration camps currently being built will be like.

Not so good episode from a story-telling perspective. But valuable cautionary tale about what is happening in America today.

• entertaining but kind of pointless.

i really like the concept of angela and her sister and the whole storyline behind it, but what i don't get was why they had to visit that place in the first place. they didn't leave with her sister or find out anything tha vital.
    overall i think the whole seeing the sister to bring them togeter was a bit weird
    still love the show though.
    and another mention about claies hair, it makes her look really young, lyk 14 or somethin around that age any way.
    i dont know what else to say so i am writin this o take up 100 words :-)
  • Angela gathers Noah, Claire, Peter and Nathan at Coyote Sands to tell them what has happened there 46 years ago. In the process our Heroes come closer together to face their common enemy; Danko and his operation.

This is a flashback episode one that was very entertaining indeed but lacked significance. There was no need for this episode at this point of the season. Maybe if it had been earlier. Nevertheless, Angela's past is revealed. We learn that Angela's has this attachment to socks because it makes her feel warm and safe. Milo Ventimiglia's performance is a little stiff but still makes you feel like he and Adrian Pasdar (Nathan) could really be brothers.
    I was surprisingly shocked with Hayden's performance (Claire), as a teenager who misses living like a teenager for once (something which hoperfully is the main arc for Claire next season).
    I felt for Mohinder (and I thought this might be one really good opportunity to kill off the character since it has lost any importance to this volume and to the Heroes universe in general). In general, the flashbacks are really well written but the present story is quite boring. If the whole episode was a flashback it might have been better.
    As far as I can remember the season becomes better in the last two episodes although the last episode could find you a little bit disappointed. Then again you may not have the chance to be disappointed as the new season begins in 2 days. Enjoy!
  • The Dharma Initiative, Heroes style.

The fact are these; whenever young Matt Jr.'s mother isn't taking over what used to be the speedster's plotline, Bryan Fuller is trying to retcon everything he can from the rest of the characters and while a matching pesonality disorder may have been cute for Pushing Daises's aunts Lilly & Vivian, it is NOT for the sister we never knew Angela had, especially since Angela herself hasn't stole any more socks for her sister since the pilot episode.

In the midst of this disaster we could've rescued Chandra Suresh and Dr Linderman's cameo only we didn't know how did they survive much less explain how their favorite lab rats came to enlist their help 20 years later; the fact that the writers eventually remember the almighty Charles Deevaux was an african american teenager in the middle of the 1960s for a last minute scene or that Bob Bishop was supposed to be younger that Linderman to fit the father of Elle. So we kindly remember ourselves this was a filler episode made for those who haven't seen from volume 2 to volume 4 therefore are not aware of how far these people have actually come.
< 1 2