Heroes

1961

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Apr 13, 2009 on NBC

7.7
  • melodramatic, trite, boring

Heroes has suffered through highs and lows, especially in this Volume. There have been really, really good episodes and then there have been just-okay mediocre episodes. And then there's this episode, which is neither. This episode, I'm shrugging my shoulders in befuddlement. It was. . .really bad. It oozed cheese from every angle, the acting was atrocious at all corners. It was like I flipped channels and it was the Days of Our 4400. (Apologies to any 4400 fans.) Seriously, it was like a whiny, preachy, primetime, convoluted science-fiction soap opera. I don't know how this happened and it's best it will never happen again. The Petrellis, Noah, and Claire dig up remains from Coyote Sands. Peter asks about the significance of the site. Angela flashes to the past (in black and white no less. Sigh, when will Heroes learn that it bugs the heck out of me when they do that and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone) to 1961, where Kennedy was still President. In case you didn't remember, Heroes patches the obvious history lesson for us. Thanks. Angela and her sister Alice are dropped off to Coyote Sands, a government hold-up for people with powers. Think of it as the Primatech for the normal humans. Think of it as interment camps for heroes. Somehow, the government found out about the heroes in the 60s (well, it is in a time where the US and Soviets supposedly were investigating the paranormal but that's a subject to uncover at a later time.) The government experimented, documented, and sometimes murdered the heroes to uncover the source of their powers to manipulate and control them for the "good" of the country. Head scientist of the operation? Chandra Suresh, Mohinder's daddy. Was he a tool? Was he a man with good intentions? I have no idea because Heroes never supplied a coherent answer for just what his involvement with the program was. See, Heroes came up with the "bright" idea to tell us what was going on but never showing us any of the exact atrocities Coyote Sands personal committed. Angela and Alice stick together but Angela becomes fast friends with younger versions of Charles Devaiox (Simone's father), Bob Bishop, and Daniel Linderman. I did enjoy the younger versions of Angela and company, especially with Bob being a gawky, awkward, slightly nerdy teen. I especially enjoyed Linderman and the younger version of him was spot-on. Charles knows something is wrong with Coyote Sands and tries to convince Angela to take action. Angela just wants to be a good girl and stay out of trouble. In the present, Angela believes her sister is still alive since the desert winds kick off, her sister is revealed to being able to manipulate the weather, and Angela is whisked away by a storm. Noah meets up with Mohinder and I think through a case of bad editing (Noah is in the desert and in a shelter a split second later and Mohinder's dialogue sounds clipped) that Mohinder is there to uncover his father's involvement in the project. Get in line, I still have no idea. Meanwhile, Peter gets pissy about having his brother around him and like a drama-queen, flies off to a nearby cafe. Nathan follows and tries to convince Peter that they need to stick together, for family. Yeah, yeah, yeah. At Coyote Sands, Claire finds Alice's battered copy of Alice in Wonderland (ha ;{). Claire ponders how much she's changed, how much of a normal life she had to give up and how much of that life she's lost. Her innocence is gone and she's no longer able to fully get it back. Price of wanting to have that life in the first place. Angela wakes in a bunker and sees a withered Alice: old, dusty, and a bit crazy. Angela tries to reconnect with her but Alice is mostly gone. More flashbacks ensue. Angela tries to warn Suresh about impending doom but he doesn't believe her. Charles convinces her to sneak up with Bob, Linderman, and him to town to warn people. Angela tries to bring her sister but for some reason, Charles believes Alice would slow them down. Uh, does he not know her ability? Angela promises Alice that she'll be back soon and to stay in Coyote Sands, where it's safe. Angela, Charles, and crew go to the cafe. Angela tries to warn someone while the rest chill out, enjoying freedom. Charles convinces her to dance and after some 60s racism, Charles reveals that his power is mind-bending. Doesn't explain anything about Peter's vision back in How to Stop an Exploding Man. Maybe that vision will never be explained. A weather report has Angela urging that something's wrong with Alice. Alice is about to be experimented on by Suresh but she freaks, creates a storm, and tries to escape. A man tries to shoot her while a hero saves her and from then on, chaos is created as gunshots are panickedly fired at heroes and Alice hides. She stayed at Coyote Sands since then because sweet sister Angela said Coyote Sands was safe and for further explanation, Alice believed she caused the slaughter. It wasn't entirely her fault but due to bad editing and refusing to show the corruption of the camp, viewers are going to think otherwise. Angela admits her lie and Alice whips up a storm. Angela is saved by Peter and Alice disappears. Everyone except Mohinder goes to the cafe (Mohinder stays at Coyote Sands to sort through just what his father did to the heroes. Good luck.), enjoying the old music and some fries. Angela is saddened but wiser (hey, this episode was one giant cliche, so bear with me) and feels her sister is gone. But at least she can let go of the past. It was the shooting that inspired Angela to convince young Bob, Charles, and Linderman to form a company to protect heroes from incidents like these, to preserve the heroes, no matter what the cost. Don't forget that Primatech caused a lot of hero turmoil over the years as well but whatever. They became the same thing they were fighting. Leave it at that because Heroes didn't even bother to point that out. Peter accepts the company of his family and informs them from now on, they work together as a family, not a company. Oh yeah, and Nathan's forgiven. Nathan's pleased. He plans to go back to Washington but a tv channel informs him that Sylar beat him to it and is now impersonating him. I would have loved to see why Sylar suddenly decided to impersonate Nathan when last episode he was merrily toying with Noah and that would have been preferable to the majority of this episode. Even the Eclipse episodes were not as bad as this one because at least in the Eclipse-episodes, something happens. In here, nothing really happens. The Petrellis are reunited and Angela moves on from her past. That's it. The acting was terrible. Mohinder spoke out-of-accent during the storm. Peter was a major diva. Surprisingly, even Noah was not that good in here and spoke in clipped, vague sentences. Since I thought he was Sylar throughout the episode, I thought that was done on purpose but no. A bigger shocker was that the best part came from Claire. Her speech about losing her normal life was incredible and was the best part about the whole episode. It shows how much Claire has matured, especially throughout this one volume, and is a good indicator of the sacrifices the heroes have made, being forced to step out of the normal world and never completely being a part of that world again because they will always feel and people will treat them like freaks. Bottom line: if you haven't seen this episode, skip it. Hopefully, the rest of the episodes this volume will be good.