Heroes

Cold Snap

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Mar 23, 2009 on NBC

• Rebel, Rebel. Not just the character but Bryan Fuller the writer as well.

This show, although relatively better this volume, has kind of wallowed in mediocrity since volume 2 and been written badly since the start of volume 3. Yeah there has been some good episode's here and there but mainly it became character's motivations led by plot. Bryan Fuller is therefore a Rebel who restores faith in the audience that the characters can drive plot as well. He also mostly leaves out the big 3 of Claire, Peter and Sylar (well Peter appears at the end, Sylar's prescence is felt with the delivery of The Puppetmaster). In fact, Nathan doesn't appear either. What's more important though is that with this episode Bryan Fuller has the guts to kill off, redeem and re-introduce characters and their powers. He starts to streamline and incapacitate, or in one case, give a character an ending that is more than, 'shot in the shoulder, who cares'. When Daphne was supposedly killed in chapter 2 for a few eps she was mostly forgotten. Not till now do we see her again, and as she lies in a hospital bed, Matt's storybook ending for her was touching and charming. Her character could have been so much more but was wasted when she became Parkman's unlikely girlfriend. The writing is good enough to acknowledge that, as a couple, they made no sense but still gives us a glimpse of the way their relationship should have evolved, in the first place.

So onto Rebel which was obvious from the start. This was set up very similar to the Linderman/Maury Parkman mystery from last volume but not as successful in tricking the audience. It was Micah by the way and even though Tracey was surprised it felt too underwhelming for me. The main surprise came from how much the actor looks different because he's grown up a little. This story was mainly Tracey's anyway, a way for her to redeem herself. Her shop lifting felt novel and (like Matt) the sudden increase in power felt right and long overdue. She sacrifices herself for Micah and shatters with a little help from Danko. Whether she is dead or able to do a T-1000 isn't entirely clear though. It was the scene itself that was able to look cool as well as serve a purpose that made it work.

So third and 4th strands. With the death of Daphne we are re-introduced to Matt's wife who when last seen was pregnant. Well she's had the kid now and it's up to Hiro and Ando to save it from Danko's men. Along with better comic-relief we get some actual character moments as well. Hiro reveals to Ando he saw his mother die when he was stuck in the past. You sort of feel this should have happened already but gives the character added warmth and gravitas that he hasn't had since that episode. The fans will also be happy as well because baby touch and go reboots Hiro's freeze power. No teleporting though as that makes time travel possible and we don't need that after so many problems its caused with plotting on the show. Add to that Ando's power increase and more progression emerges.

The last strand is fugitive Angela Petrelli which lives up to the name of the Volume. Her little talk with friend Millie reminded us that the character has flaws. We are nicely reminded of her shoplifting after Arthur's death and that made me feel for the first time in a while that this was a 3d character and not a 2d villain.

So a good episode, one thing though is that it serves amongst everything to propel the plot, resolve loose ends and get rid of or push to the side unnecessary characters. Also, 3 character's in particular had a sudden upgrade to there powers in this episode out of nowhere. If Bryan Fuller had been around earlier then at least this could have been hinted more frequently. Basically this episode, although a return to form, was let down by having to resolve and move forward some of the mess that had been created beforehand. With it we at least can have a more clean slate and his next episode can be an absolutely amazing one.
  • Is Bryan Fuller a Godsend? Is his return to the Heroes writing staff the change that is needed to give the show a much-needed shove in the right direction?

Is Bryan Fuller a Godsend? Is his return to the Heroes writing staff the change that is needed to give the show a much-needed shove in the right direction? Well, judging by his first effort since Pushing Daisies, well, pushed the daisies, yes and no. 'Cold Snap' certainly sees a general upswing in quality: the script is solid, engaging and eventful and contains some of the most sparkling dialogue we've heard in aeons. There's an emphasis on character development here but not at the expense of the story, which is the problem that has plagued Heroes since Kring pressed the 'reset' button at the beginning of volume four. While fans have been crying out for a return to the halcyon days of the first season, it hasn't really been achieved... until now. Although this is not an exact return to form, it still shows promise. Tracey Strauss gets a satisfying character-arc-resolving death and it looks well cool. Rebel's identity is revealed and it's entirely logical. Hiro and Ando get an amusing side-story involving 'baby Matt Parkman' that's silly but rewarding because it advances things. Daphne's swan-song is unexpected and engaging, even if one does feel rather like the aforementioned 'reset' button is being pressed on characters far more frequently than it should. I mean, she renounces her entire relationship with the guy after professing her undying love like, three episodes ago. It's a bit much, a bit fast - one of the problems crippling Heroes is the juxtaposition between slow-moving action and ludicrously-paced allegiance/personality shifts - but as it seems to signify the end of this problematic storyline, I'm willing to overlook it. A good effort on the whole and hopefully a sign of things to come.
  • Pointless episode with fewer and fewer characters, even characters being killed off. I'm starting to worry about Heroes' future.

I can't even call this a filler episode, it actually served almost no purpose, it wasn't even informative. I can only hope more of an effort is made for the finale because if the season doesn't end on a high note, it's really in trouble.

Angela warns Bennet to sacrifice one of them to win Danko's trust. She knows who Rebel is! Maybe driving around in the Petrelli limousine is not the best plan. Bennet literally gift wrapped Doyle for Danko! A prophetic dream lets Angela gets out. It gets ugly, why do they need so many guns, she's just clairvoyant! Peter to the rescue and it's very obvious symbolism with the Statue of Liberty.

Danko tricks Mohinder into walking into the facility under his own steam, under the guise of helping the prisoners. Why is Tracy still the only one not drugged? Rebel comes for Tracy, letting her out so she can release the others. A good move, we get Matt, Mohinder and Daphne in the deal. Rebel is Micah! Hind sight is always 20/20, who else would it be?! Surely there was a better way to save Micah than sacrificing herself!

I love Ando and Hiro but they are morons! They finally figure out who the baby is and he has a power! He can power something even if it's not plugged in. Hiro's powers are back! Well, at least his freeze power.

Matt convinces the staff that Daphne is Gwen Stefani! Incredibly sweet how Matt tries to give Daphne her fairytale ending.

Not a great episode, very little happened and the strain on the budget is becoming increasingly obvious. Fewer and fewer characters in an episode and interacting with each other, characters being killed off. Really worrying.
  • extremely good episode

Cold Snap was good for so many reasons. This episode managed to make me teary eyed, to make me laugh and to put me on the edge of my seat. It made me teary eyed when nikki 3.0 allowed herself to die in order to protect micah also known as the rebel. It also made me a bit teary eyed when parkman was taking Daphne to paris in her dream bc she was dying and he didnt want to let go of her. It made me laugh because Hiros storyline is hysterical with baby "touch and go". It put me on the edge of my seat because for the first time in quite a while mrs petrellis storyline was actually good! Another reason to love this episode is because hiro got his power back finally!
  • Strong special effects, Weak plotline.

Even though this episode contained some of the strongest special effects of the series so far, that wasn't enough to make this a great episode. While it did reveal some key events and characters (including the somewhat predictable identity of REBEL), the episode itself was still rather weak. There were two deaths in this episode, and I'm glad for both of them. Tracy has been the weakest character of the series, and she needed to go. Daphne, while I've seen many reviewers take a liking to her, was also a pointless character in my opinion. The show is attempting a transition into something new by weeding out some characters, but I doubt it will be enough to fix the various plot holes that have brought this show from being great to mediocre.
  • Fuller is back with a vengenance!

Lets face it folks, this series NEEDS and has always needed Bryan Fuller. This is the first episode with his as the key writer and if you will notice the HUGE boost in quality. Now I've nitpicked Heroes to death over the last few episodes and I think I was pretty write in my judgement. For the longest time, 3 Volumes to be exact, Heroes has been floundering, sputtering along without any real goal or sense of purpose, and the writing seems to be shifting on a constant basis. Things happen out of the blue or worse characters change motivations at the drop of a hat without any real build up or worse, too much build up and not a lot of execution. Everything about this episode was great, even Tracy Strauss, and I can't believe I just typed that. Ali Carter is beautiful but she's been handed some annoying characters on this series and now she's finally gone. Oh sure she probably will come back, with the winking ice face indicating some sort of trickery but who knows? Back when Fuller was writing Season 1 no one was safe, and Strauss has had nothing to do this Volume but sit in front of a lamp. Boring. The only reason I didn't give this episode a 10 was because Daphne was killed off without much of a way to come back, indicating that she might be gone for good. They gave her an excellent send off though, truly touching. Makes me wish they had done the same with Elle instead of the cheap meaningless death they gave her. The series needs strong female leads and they offed two women in the cast in one episode, that's kind of sad but not a huge loss. Good to see Micah again, he was never my favorite character but I didn't hate him, and he was pretty useful in this episode. Anyways, keep up the good work, I am once again loving Heroes again.
  • Not bad...

I laughed. I cried. I was intrigued. It wasn't perfect, but this is what Heroes of old was all about.

The reveal of Rebel was a needed, pleasant surprise and I hope the character(I won't spoil it) is used again in the near future.

Hiro and Ando's storyline is definitely the comic relief of Heroes, as always and I loved the moment when Hiro got his powers back. I wouldn't call it 'classic' as the previews said, but it is more than a welcome thing to happen for me to love this show again.

To top it all off we had some emotional moments at the end and had to say goodbye to a few people, but the writers handled it much better than deaths in the past. It was no 'Lost moment', but it was pretty powerful for me.

Overall, the only complaint I have is that I wish Heroes had a structure more like Lost where each episode specialized on 1-2 people at a time instead of splitting up between as many as possible.
  • Welcome back Bryan Fuller!!!

Just when I thought Heroes was entering the pit of despair never to return again the return of two familiar faces brings it closer to its glory days.

The return of Micah as Rebel was expected but I'm a little shocked that he was able to do all of this ON HIS OWN. No matter how mentally advanced he is I don't really buy him being able to plan everything he did. Now I know that starts things off on a negative note (forcive habit after the previous heroes episodes) but I will still give Heroes the benefit of the doubt that Micah might not be alone on this Rebel business.

I haven't been a fan of Tracy Strauss (or Jessica or Nikki) but it was nice to see her have a fitting end and those final words of "you have to continue what you're doing" were rather heroic in the end.

Angela is another character that I have never really cared for (despite being acted wonderfully by Christine Rose) but her storyline in this episode was very new and refreshing because she has essentially been doing the same thing over and over again for this volume (having secret meetings and conversations with different people). The scene where she was cornered in the elevator and nearly caught by Danko's men was paced beautifully to when we saw Peter standing there and saving her in Superman fashion.

Interesting opening scene with Danko getting his 'special delivery' from a mystery guest (probably Sylar).

Hiro has been very annoying since Season 2 and it seemed like he was a little more tolerable in this episode with some nice scenes between him and Ando and some classic Season 1 comedy between the two. Not stupid Season 2+ comedy.

And finally, I have never been a fan of the Matt and Daphne romance because I never really saw much chemistry between the two actors. It always seemed like they had a "the writers told us we like each other" chemistry to it, but again the show started bringing that full circle when the two characters FINALLY started asking themselves the right questions and made their situation a little more believable. When the scene in Paris came and Matt had suddenly been able to fly I started yelling "HOW" and "WHY" at my television and when they started going all Superman Returns on me again I told myself it figures that Heroes would do something to mess up a pretty good episode. But then Daphne came out with that line and it all came together. For a guy that can put any image in a person head why wouldn't he try to create happiness out of a horrible situation. Really well written there and I'm really sad to see Daphne go as well.

This episode really shows how far an episode of heroes can go if there is a good script on the table. Kudos to you Bryan Fuller, keep up the good work and I hope Heroes can keep up the momentum for the rest of the season and return to its glory days.
  • What can I say? This episode is hopefully the start of the former glory this show had. Although this

What can I say? This episode is hopefully the start of the former glory this show had. Although this Volume has been better than the previous Villains Volume (didn't take much) it was still lacking something. But that was until Bryan Fuller returned and gave us this episode. The identity of Rebel is revealed and which was predictable but still good nonetheless. Ms. Petrelli on the run was a thing that kept me on the edge of the seat. Hiro finally got his power back in a cool and original way (nothing too Sci-Fi and thank god for that). The ending was great. Finally, I am again worried about the characters of the show. Characters are getting killed off, yes even a main characters. And they died in an unique and entertaining way. Overall this was an excellent episode.
  • Adventurous, pivotal, surprising and emotional. Heroes is so on this week! Can't wait to see what they come up with for the rest of the season.

This episode was on! Surprise after suprise and I hardly saw any of them coming and I read spoilers quicker then I can get my hands on them.

The episode begins with a semi-weird, semi-cofusing scene (no not Danko shaving). Last we saw Sylar he was in Danko's apartment.

Turns out he was there to leave him something? Doyle wrapped in a pretty red bow, in his words a gift. Not sure if he was dead but still. Anyway, I don't know what to make of what's happening with Sylar but I have some thoughts.

Old habits die hard and I'm taking it as things get darkest before the dawn, aka Sylar will be more evil then ever before perhaps things get better for him and we get a return to volume 3 Sylar. But things are going to get dark, dark, daker before that might happen at least according to spoilers. I want to believe Sylar can return to Gabriel, especially after hearing the title for volume five (Redemption) but where he is right now...seems like it's going to be harder then ever. I think it was an understatement when someone said that Sylar might end up more evil now then before he went down his redemptive road in volume 3. But only time will tell and I still have hope. One way or another we'll find out and it's going to be epic that's for sure. Evil or good, Sylar is the character that I adore most. Peter, my other most beloved character, only had a small appearance in this episode but it was great just the same. Now that Nathan is out of the operation he started Danko is at the healm and apparently he's not leaving anyone to their free passes. He goes straight for Angela but as always our beloved Peter saves the day (not sure how he knew what was going down but whatever) and finds them a cozy little hide out, at least for now. That was so cool and so random that he took them to the statue of liberty but come to think of it's proably a safe place for the night at least. I'm hopeful that we will once and for all, after months of teasing find out some on Angela's secrets. I'm sure they won't give it all away but with the upcoming flashback episode 1961 about the beginnings of the company I think this time it will actually happen. And can I just say, YES! Hiro and Ando play babysitters to the coolest baby ever! Matt's son, little Matt is (as far as we know) the youngest person ever to have an ability. He's a touch and go. Close as I can tell his power is a little like Ando's. Ando super charges something, like a battery in a way. Little Matt touches something and turns it on like a battery. How cute was that kid though? And thank goodness he has the power he has otherwise the government would have snatched him up right quick. I was pleased to see the manner in which Hiro's ability returned and to see Ando crank his ability up. Very impressive on both counts. But what about the actual Matt? I mean he has a kid, apparently. I certainly hope he finds out.

But right now he has bigger issues. Apparently he and Daphne won't be having the future we once saw for them but when it comes to this show that's expected. Whenever they skip time and show some future event, character, change it's almost a guarantee that it won't be happening (at least most of the time). But I was still shocked that Daphne died. Had a couple tears for her, especially for Matt's sake but I feel like I should have saw it coming, how could Matt get to Paris so quick? How could he fly? He just couldn't, poor Daph. I really liked her and I loved that Matt finally had someone but hey he's got another little someone out there who needs him so I think Matt will find the will to go on. And at least he got to her before she died, it could have been worse.

But surprisingly my favorite part of this episode was the Tracey stuff. I am not an Ali Larter fan and while I found Tracey more interesting then Nikki I still wasn't a big fan. She was one of the few characters who somewhat deserved to be locked up. So Danko has everyone neutralized in Building 26 (where is this palce is that no one notices it? Another paper company?) and of course Rebel comes to the rescue and helps Tracey escape. There's clue #1, Rebel goes to great lengths to help Tracey in particular. Tracey gets out and frees Matt, Mohinder and Daphne but of course doesn't exactly play as part of the team but Rebel has it all under control. After Tracey pretty much ditches the others she has lots more help. Including some cash from an ATM, clue #2 we've seen a certain little someone do that exact thing before. And then boom! I wasn't prepared for him to just be standing right there but there he was. Micah! I pretty much went nuts when he appeared.

I'm psyched they brought him back no matter how long it's actually going to be for.

To bad, in Tracey's case, his help was somewhat unwarranted. We know her his history and she hasn't been a well behaved girl. But Micah inspires something in her (I knew there was a reason they met at the start of season 3), she originally lead HRG and the boys straight to rebel but when she found out it was Micah she toasted them or to be more accurate froze them.

Apparently her power has some juice she hadn't yet tapped into and she froze them all I'm assuming alive but at a price. She froze to and that gave Danko the oppurtunity to kill her once and for all (yes she's down permenantly). I was surprised but it was a great way to send her off in a moment of rare integrity for her character and very fitting given the season we've had so far.

There's good and evil in everyone, powers or not. These powers can corrupt, make heroes out of people and make them do all manner of strange things but that's a part of it. Doyle, Sylar, Tracey, Peter, Matt, Mohinder they've all done bad things and to a certain extent they've all had their good moments. Some more then others but it's in them all, good and evil. Villains, heroes. The lines aren't so easily drawn, so easily defined. Things aren't so black and white. In fact they're gray. ;)
  • Welcome Back Fuller

I thought this was a very good episode. Micha is revealed to be the no-brainer pick for "Rebel". Never really was much of a doubt there, at least not in the circle that I watch Heroes with. Surprised I didn't see his name appear more online, but maybe they kept his return a secret. Loved seeing more Angela in this episode. I'm hoping her character doesn't bounce of the show right now too - considering that was lost not one, but two characters in Mr. Fullers return to the show. The killing of Daphne was kind of not needed and confusing. I guess the future has changed? I didn't think that she would die coming out of surgery, but I suppose she did. If there was a bad part to the episode, that was it. Good to see Micha back in action fixing some thing, wonder what his role will be here coming up.

I liked the Hiro and Ando portion of the storyline. Some people found it too "silly" but I thought it was a storyline meant to be funny that actually WAS funny for a change. A little over the top at times, but still kept my interest with "Touch and Go" baby. Overall, solid episode from Heroes Mr. Fuller needs to write a bunch.
  • Yea! Bryan Fuller is back.

Fanboys, fangirls, rejoice. The prodigal Bryan Fuller has returned. Shades of Gray was just a warm-up, this time he actually wrote this episode. And what can I say, exactly? It's great Fuller's back and all and NBC cranked the hype machine, trumpeting his return as 'classic'. Well, that part is mostly right. In the first few minutes, Fuller's influence is readily recognized and there are parts of the episode that definitely feel Fuller-esque. Fortunately for Fuller, he has managed in one episode what the writers didn't in this whole volume: bring the real world back into the heroes' world. He made Heroes once again feel as achingly strange, unique, nostalgic, puzzling, yet realistic as Season One. Don't get me wrong, I love some episodes in this volume but this is the first episode in a long time that FEELS like it would have been in Season One. And that's part of the problem, because Season One is over. Capturing the glorious nostalgia may not be completely tangable anymore. But, on to the summary. Danko shaves in his bathroom and walks out to find Doyle strung up like a present. Could be Sylar's doing, taunting tag indicates it's him, but Sylar's strangely AWOL. Now that Nathan "surrendered" control of his operation, Danko's in power. And boy, does he love it. He's willing to keep the heroes as vegatative as possible. He leads Mohinder to Matt, Daphne, and other heroes hooked on IVs, on the pretense of helping them, only to have Mohinder knocked out. Naughty. Noah briefs Angela on the reversal of command but Angela informs him to keep a level head and 'support' Danko. Angela suggests sacrificing Rebel to support the cause. Y-ouch. Angela admits that if she were a better woman, she would sacrifice herself. Too bad she's not and she doesn't care. She won't surrender to anyone. Danko shows Noah Doyle, claiming the capture as a "present" since Doyle tormented his family and Noah iniates the Angela-suggestion, telling Danko to release Tracey to find Rebel since Rebel contacted her twice. Danko refuses but the choice is taken from him. The power shuts down while Tracey stores icy breath and escapes. She decides to rescue Matt, Mohinder, and Daphne for some reason. Whatever, they're free. Matt grasps Daphne (awww!) and Mohinder informs him she has to go to the hospital. Tracey moves to leave, saying she won't wait for them, but she's stuck with them as the brigade closes in. Luckily, Matt mindbends his wat to escape. She shrugs it off and leaves without them. Mohinder and Matt take Daphne to the nearest hospital, Matt pretending Daphne's Janice and 'making' up a story about Janice's injuries. A little mindbending and Daphne's rushed to treatment. Hiro and Ando ponder little-Matt. Hiro awkwardly handles the kid, wondering what to do, and not treating little-Matt as a baby. Ando speculates that Hiro's awkwardness stems from a dead mother and a distant father. Hiro informs him of his trip in Our Father and it's nice to bring up and still painful to hear. Ando and Hiro discover little-Matt's power and he's a "jumpstarter". More on that later. Tracey tries on new clothes, pleased she got away, but Noah corners her. Never underestimate HRG. He warns that he could kill her if he wanted but he won't unless she cooperates. He wants her to lead him to Rebel and dangles the one thing she desires: her old life. Going back to whoring for local politicans is still glamorous to her. Rebel leads Tracey to a station to meet and a close-up shows what many have believed: Micah is Rebel. Horrah! However, he has been gone for a long time and he looks it. Angela is forced on the run when she "dreams" the brigade is closing on her. Danko figured her out and he wants some revenge for her prying into his personal life. A little odd that Noah finally admitted Angela's power and Danko didn't even blink after Noah pinned Peter's survival on her. Angela, the proud, arrogant, all-mighty woman finally becomes hunted. Doesn't feel so good. She has no Rebel or family to help her. She stumbles into an old friend, Millie (Pushing Daisies' alum!) at a restaurant and begs for her help. Millie's surprised Angela's asking her help and leads to the greater impression that Angela has little to no friends. Millie is finally willing to help her old friend and gives Angela all her cash. Janice comes home and finds Ando-Hiro. They explain who they are and why they're there but Janice can't believe the government is coming for her baby. She has no warm feelings for her ex, Matt almost blowing DC sold her that he has gone off the reservation, but she realizes that the government is manipulating the greater picture. The brigade finds her and Hiro-Ando convince her that they should take little-Matt. A confrontation ensues. Ando finally sparks someone but is quickly knocked. Hiro holds on to little-Matt and little-Matt shows his power isn't just a knock-off of Micah's. He supercharges Hiro and Hiro can bend time again. YESSSS! Well, he can freeze time. Whatever, you take what's given. Hiro is ecstatic but he can't unfreeze time, so he has to drag Ando 12 miles in a wheelbarrow. Funny. Micah meets Tracey at the station and she's shocked. She asks why he helped her. Mom. Micah felt something for Tracey because she reminded him of his mom. Sad. Tracey guilts and admits she sold Micah out. He's angry, even when Tracey apologizes, but is resourceful enough to reroute technology so they can escape. Daphne wakes up and finds that Matt posed her as Gwen Stefani:}. She overheard the Janice-story and Matt admits it was the truth. Daphne feels jealous over the ex, and feels Matt hasn't moved on from her. Probably not. She once again asks why Matt wants to be with her, once again doesn't believe him, and kisses and runs? Ouch. Already? He just saved your life!!! Hiro comforts little-Matt and finally warms to him. With that, he's able to unfreeze time and explains to a bewildered Ando that they should find Matt. Micah is still pissed at Tracey. He helped her so many times and she hurled it back at him. He knew Tracey isn't Nikki, but at least Nikki was a kind woman that was an actual hero. Yeah. Tracey apologizes and informs Micah she didn't used to be a lying s---, she joined DC to try and make a difference and as many, lost her way. The brigade finds them. Tracey sacrifices herself so Micah can escape and like Mohinder, regain redemption for what's she done. She's going to have to pull off a couple more sacrifices. At least Mohinder had good intentions. She tells Micah to turn on the sprinklers before he leaves and freezes everyone in the area, including herself. Whoa. Danko arrives, observes Tracey, and shoots her. Noah marvels at her new ability. Before the shock wears off, it's revealed Tracey pulled a Terminator-2 and is still alive. Angela flees from the brigade and they close in on her. Finally, she is cornered and she has no way out. Or so it would seem. But then, ba-dow, Peter swooshes and rescues his mother. He's been hanging around in the Statue of Liberty and now he and mother have time to reconnect. Daphne observes Paris and Matt finds her. Daphne's surprised Matt got there so fast but he reveals he can fly? What!?! He proves to Daphne he loves her and gives her an aerial view of Paris. Daphne's no fool and Heroes didn't jump the shark. Daphne never woke up. She's grateful for Matt's love and devotion and tells him it's okay. Matt understands. He awakens, Mohinder at its side, while Daphne flatlines. She's gone for good. NOOOOO! Horrible, just horrible. Poor Matt. This episode was not too shabby and Fuller knows what he's doing. He injected some much needed heart back into Heroes, where family and friends are willing to do whatever it takes for each other and where the characters come first. Angela is explored as being a woman who's lost everything, who is lonely and miserable, and realizes she doesn't want to be this way. Fuller was finally able to give Tracey a spine and she too is a lonely, miserable woman whose selfish lifestyle has cost her dearly. Both will have opportunities to redeem themselves. Daphne's death was shattering and she will be missed. The Hiro-Ando dynamic sparkled. Now, they'll both have opportunities to save the world together and I would like to know how Hiro's power will work now. I would like to see what Micah will do next. Noah was great as ever. However, some aspects were bungled in execution. Volume Three plotpoints were injected back in and the less reminders of Volume 3, the better. I don't want to hear about the eclipse anymore. Claire's storyline with Doyle hit the fan if he was only going to be recaptured the next episode and I'm wondering just why Doyle is even still on the show. This episode in many ways is so largely disconnected from the greater storyline of the Volume, something that later episodes in a volume should do, and it FEELS like the millionth redo of Heroes as a show and sometimes, Fuller's influence was washed away and it became Heroes post-Season One again. Fuller is one player on a massive team, so whatever he can do is not going to be great enough because the entire team needs to finally buckle down and decide what they want this show to be. This is just me, so if anyone finally got what they wanted out of Heroes, terrific. I'm willing to see what else Bryan Fuller brings as this volume goes on.
  • A very well written episode.

The begining of the episode "Cold Snap" was just as good as any "Heroes" episode. Through out the episode I was reminded why this show is one of my all time favorites. Bryan Fuller is an exccelent writer and I am personally glad that he has returned to the "Heroes" team. The later part of the episode was somethingyou would expect from the first season's glory days. The lose of character Daphine Millbrook was a sadding part of the episode. I belive that in the coming episodes that the series will improve over what can be called a temperary slump in the story.
  • Not nearly as good as I thought it would be, but not bad either. Warning, spoilers ahead.

It's back after a 1 week break, and I am pretty excited about how the season has picked up. So we pick up with the Rebel story, and in this episode we finally find out who it is, and it doesn't surprise me to find out it's Micah. We find that Hiro and Ando were sent to protect Matt's baby, but when doing so are attacked by people who try and take the baby away. The strange thing is, when Hiro and Ando look like they are doomed to be captured, Hiro's power kicks in and he freezes time. It seems to be because of the baby, but how can a baby that makes things come to life bring back a power? Strange, and a bit weak, but I will buy it. So now Tracy dies this episode, which made sense, because she saved Micah in the process, and her character didn't really go anywhere. I was a bit saddened by the death of Daphne, she was interesting, but I guess she didn't really bring to much to the show, hopefully this time she stays dead. Overall this episode was not as good as I thought it would be, a bit of a letdown really, but not bad either.
  • Several great scenes that hearken back to the Heroes we all know and love.

Cold Snap felt like a definite step forward. Anyone else feel like this episode in particular started addressing issues viewers have had with the show?

Ex 1: Matt Parkman's baby has powers. So it looked like a baby can be born with abilities, but it doesn't take long for Matt's ex to mention that it started happening after the eclipse. Looks like they are finally sticking with one idea. I appreciated this. I haven't really been a fan of Hiro's plot lately. I miss his abilities and they've gone from him acting like a baby to him taking care of one. But thankfully, there are some neat developments here and I look forward to where this goes.

Ex 2: Parkman and Daphne's relationship is a sham.
    I've always had an issue with these two strangers falling in love just because Parkman said he had a vision. Here, this loophole is directly addressed and even remedied, as Matt and Daph finally have a deep conversation and develop some chemistry. Superman rip-offs aside, theirs was a FANTASTIC and moving scene, the best of the show, and one of the best of the season. (coming from me, that's seriously high praise) possibly the swansong of their story. Now, Maybe Matt can get back to his ex and kid.

Ex 3: Tracy should be killed.
    I think Ali Larter is so gorgeous, but yes, shoe-horning her into season 3 when her character had died was ridiculous. In my favorite scene of the episode, Tracy in order to protect the mysterious REBEL, (a returning Michah!) went all "sub zero" on the government agents! An awesome display of power
    left her iced out completely, and I'll never forget the image of her silhouette shattering to the gun...

I really enjoyed this one, no Claire (a possible series first), and even the time out stuff with Angela was welcome. Heroes is back on track, so let's hope they keep the momentum going.
  • Back to the basics...

Bryan Fuller is BACK! "Cold Snap" had all of the intrigue of season 1 that made this show a classic!

UPPER 1: Micah = Rebel = Totally Predictable, yet the best thing they could have done! I was HOPING it was Micah, but started to fear it was going to be a new character...then I remembered Bryan Fuller wrote this episode, at which point all my fears vanished. So glad Noah Gray-Cabey is back and is putting his power to good use.

UPPER 2: Peter is back to save Mommy Dearest! Squee!

DOWNER 1: Still not getting/digging the whole Matt/Daphne relationship. Thank you Bryan Fuller for hitting the nail on the head and showing signs of the end of that empty/one-way relationship!

DOWNER 2: Ali Larter's gone...or so it would seem. Rumor had it a female character wanted off. Guess it was she. At least they're "replacing" her with Micah... Was I alone in shedding a tear when she froze herself knowing Danko would come along and end her?
  • 1. Rebel = Micah (OMFG Who knew) 2. Hiro and Ando saved the baby (and something happened to their powers) 3. Angela escaped with the help of Peter 4. Daphne and Matt :( 5. Tracy met Micah and man, SHE'S AWESOME

Don't listen to what those haters tell you; this is a very special and well-thought and well-written episode. We start with Danko shaving which is the creepiest thing you can get, next to Sylar killing a bunny. Then he noticed that someone/something was inside the room and found Doyle hanging on the ceiling with the nametag "My gift to you". Very funny Sylar.

Then we cut to the badly shaven Noah talking to Angela. Nothing too important here except Angela telling Noah that it is their last meeting.

Mohinder entered the lab and saw the supers drugged on bed and he rushed to find Daphne. Nice continuity after Nathan showed Daphne's video to him several episodes ago. I thought Danko would go with Nathan's plan to recruit Mohinder, but then I realized that Danko doesn't trust the supers, and I was right. The "Chapter Seven" label on the heat lamps is probably to show that Tracy will play a big role in this episode. It wasn't Tracy-centric enough but the fact that she gets a proper role says a lot. HRG then told Danko that REBEL left 2 messages to Tracy Strauss and concludes that he will try to save her anytime soon. So he suggests to Danko that they let Tracy go so she can lead them to Rebel.

Cold Daddy, Warm Mommy apartment. I'm telling you, if Ando wasn't so perverted, I would expect him to be gay :) It turns out that Baby Matt has a power, which apparently, no one could figure out what.

Great Scene #1. Mama Petrelli (my fav char), foresees the agents coming and was able to get out of the car before they came. She flirted with an unknown person and asked if she could share his umbrella. Very bright, Angela. Great Scene #2. Building 26 HQ. Micah,, um sorry, REBEL turned off the power from Building 26 and Tracy was able to 'freeze her way out'. She found the other supers (Mohinder, Matt, Daphne), and as the guards came in, Matt used his Mind-mojo thingy to make it look like they weren't there. Nicely done Matt. Danko then agrees to Noah's plan.

Shoplifting time. Tracy froze the plastic thingy so she could get the clothes for free, but HRG tried to talk with her. If she could lead them to Rebel, she'll get away safely. Tracy was walking and heard the ATM calling for her. Mica, umm sorry, Rebel lent her money and asked her to meet him somewhere. Then we saw Micah who was grown a lot since season 2. Matt sent Daphne to the hospital. Great Scene #3. Hiro told Ando about Mama Ishi (aw). They were about to go with the Baby but Mama Janice arrived and found them 'hiding' on the stuffed toys. Baby parkman is lucky to have those many teddy bears,, but that is the worst hiding place everrr. It was funny though, Lulz. Naturally, Mama Janice asked what they want with Baby Matt and surprisingly, knew about the Baby's powers (which again, I don't know what). The Agents came in and tried to find the baby, then Ando used his Kame-hame wave to take out the guy, but he got hit anyway. Baby Matt used his whatever power on Hiro and was able to freeze time (What!?)and they managed to escape. (Ando needed a wheelcart though). Hiro doesn't have teleportation, and possibly time travel, but time-stopping will definitely come in handy. Angela asked her friend for help(Millie if I remember correctly)who appears to be connected with the Company. Daphne woke up, and discovered that Matt made the doctors believe she was Gwen Stefani (Lol). She again brought the topic about why they should be together, and Matt insisted that he saw them in a "spirit walk", but Daphne replied that he was 'baked in the desert (Lol). Daphne said that she was happy to have met Matt and walked away. Very simple and very in-character.

Great scene #4. The agents saw Angela and she tried to run. She was able to enter the elevator and was on floor 10 (?) but the agents managed to do something with the wires and the elevator started going down. Nooo!!! for Mama Petrelli but she was saved by Peter at the end and they flew together. Company HQ #2 = Statue of Liberty.

Best scene of the episode. Tracy saw Micah in the train station and he revealed that he is Rebel. omfg Who knew. Then Tracy realized that he led the Danko's team to Micah and he was naturally shocked. Micah's grown up now Yay! He then gave a speech about his mom (Niki) being a hero and that Tracy was not like her. But Tracy said that she didn't knew it was Micah and apologized. The agents came in the parking lot and Tracy realized that there is no way out so she asked Micah to turn the showers on. For once, Tracy was thinking about others and made this noble decision to face the agents all by herself and told Micah to escape and not get caught by the ice. Micah asked Tracy to come with him but she can't, because it is the only way for him to escape. So she faced the agents, stood in the middle while all the guns were pointed at her, and it was a really AWESOME SCENE supported by a dramatic background music. She knew it was the end anyway, so she closed her eyes and used the limit of her power to freeze everything in the parking lot (Poor cars!!!). The agents were frozen including her and the special effects were Perfect. It is a sure contender for the best moment of the show, probably along the lines of Angela sucking oysters. Danko shot the frozen Tracy and was frustrated that they didn't find Rebel. HRG looked sad that Tracy 'died' (aw). What the!? Just when Tracy got a proper role and people started liking her, they killed her off!? but we know she'll be back anyway because of the interviews. Plus the wink.

Great scene #6. Daphne was sitting alone somewhere in Paris(!) then Matt came. He 'revealed' that he flew to Paris and I'm sure that everyone was confused and annoyed at this point, but as Daphne revealed, it was just Matt's mind mojo ability. She asked Matt to fly her to the moon, knowing it's the end for her. It was somewhat chessy but it was definitely a tear-jerker and dramatic moment and it was a nice way to end Daphne's character. She's not coming back as stated by Greg Beeman's blog, which is really Argghghghghhgh!!!!! because she's one of the most likeable character in the show, and it's extremely sad to see her go. At least though, her exit was waaaaayyy better than Elle so I won't complaining.

Overall, this episode is great, has many great scenes, the characters are awesome, cool special effects, and opens up a lot of possibilities for everyone, especially for Rebel/Micah. Even without knowing about Bryan Fuller's return, you'll notice that this episode has a different writing style and nice story flow. I was really pissed off with Daphne's death, and Tracy's 'death' but that doesn't prevent me from loving this episode. I really hope that the next episodes will be like this!!! :)
  • This all round was a solid episode. It addresses what we wanted in the show, and gets rid of the stuff we don't like, paving the way for some great episodes in the future.

Not too many storylines and good writing makes this a solid episode. Bryan Fuller is really turning this show around and sson it'll make us feel like we're in Season 1 again.

Hiro becomes likeable again. Personally i thought ever since he lost his powers he's gone all "It is my Destiny" and it was really pissing me off, but now i guess they've realised it sucks and they've gone back to classic Hiro, and to the sole reason there was a Hiro and Ando team in the first place, humour. Hiro felt more real in this episode and i prefer it that way.

Micah=Rebel=no duh. Sure it was predictable but its fitting, better than bringing in a new character and... i just miss Micah. He's was so cool and i was so confused why they've pulled him off the set for so many episodes, i'm so glad he's back. Oh yeah, he's grown up a little and you can notice that his voice has gotten deeper, so be a prepared for that. now i'm wondering where Molly is.

Best news of this episode... TRACEY'S DEAD!!!!!!! :) :) :)
    I was so sick of her, Nikki was interesting but Tracey was just plain pointless, i hope they don't bring the Final Triplet, Barbara, into the show.

The Matt and Daphne scenes were just plain confusing. You don't know whats real and whats not until the end of the episode. At one point Matt Parkman FLIES with Daphne in the middle of Paris... seriously, that is the biggest WTF moment of the series, even if it is justified a few minutes later.

No Sylar, Clairebear or Nathan action this week, expect some good scenes with them in the next episode.

Bryan Fuller has Heroes. ^ ^ ^
  • I gave it a 10 because it was the first episode in a long time to make me feel something. It finally had it all.

Let me first express my suprise they killed off two major characters (well, major for the 3rd season). Killing Tracy was an expected thing, but she really went out of the show in one of the most amazing scenes from the start of Heroes. Music, camera movement and the effects were amazing. Touching, even if you hate Tracy/Ali/Niki/Jessica or whoever she is/was. And as for Daphne... the last scene was as amazing as Hiro and his mother's "goodbye" scene. Really sad, really well written. This is why I gave the episode a 10. As for the rest of 'Cold Snap', I have no complaints. Micah was well brought back to the show, Angela had some great scenes, especially the one in the elevator. And Peter was so cool (which can't be said too often) just looking at the SWAT team. His grey coat made quite an impression on me, for reasons unknown.

Hiro and Ando, were just hilarious and not boring at all. The new level of dialogues can really be sensed, and Hiro's powers were long missed by me. I hope they forget the whole 'Save the future' thing and keep Hiro in the present (although I'd like to see the whole show go in the World-splitting-in-half direction).

All in all, a great new direction for all the characters. Mr Fuller better be doing these kind of things again so Heroes can continue where it was left - from being ultimately great.
  • It is all very predictable at this point.

i predicted micah was 'rebel' in my last review. im sure many of you did as well, seeing as he is the only person with that power. so if you had any common sense, there was nothing revealed in this episode.

now wasnt sylar in dankos apartment? so supposedly he delivered doyle to him? leaving us to wonder what happened to claire.. but guess what, im just happy she wasnt in this episode. it was probably the highlight for me.

there really isnt any emotion behind this whole daphne and matt thing, as there was no real build up of the relationship. the whole fairy tale ending thing was therefore nothing but time filler for me.

i think people liked heroes character because he acted like a bright eyed child ready to do whatever it took. now they are writing him more like a spoiled brat, and its getting old, fast. oh yes, and how convenient that matts son has the power to not only make electronics turn on but your powers that were REMOVED, not turned off. i could kind of buy it with peter, since his dad could have taken everything he had accumulated and left his original ability. but lets face it, they havent really thought all of that through anyhow. like you could removed someones genetically gifted power...
  • Not alot of action, but it does move the story forward.

First of all, this episode was way too hyped up. The trailer was exciting but the episode wasn't (at least not as exciting as they made it to be).

Second, Rebel is Micah. Something I think every Heroes fan should have gathered ever since like the 3rd or 4th episode of "Fugitives". Who else could it have been really? So not a huge surprise for me, but still it is nice to have Micah back.

Tracy is gone and what a way to go. I liked the way she thought about the escape plan, but it was a bit too drastic just to let Micah escape, she didn't have to die... But I'm glad she did, her character was pointless after "Villains". Let's hope Micah has a rendezvous with the rest of Heroes...

Then there's Angela. We saw how much Nathan was really protecting her, because the agents seemed pretty determined to catch her. But it's Peter to the rescue in the elevator. Nice! What's with the statue of Liberty scene? it wasn't really important, it just shows that Peter is helping out his mom now.

Baby Parkman has a power! Now that is a nice twist. Although I find it odd that Hiro got his powers back by touching the baby. Couldn't the same have happened if Ando had touched him? Ah well, at least he has his powers back now (some of them at least)

All in all, I think this episode was kind of meant to set the scene for the rest of the season. Next episode looks great though, we get some Sylar-Danko action, which should be something to look forward to.
  • Dear Heroes, Welcome Back!!! Don't ever leave us again!!!

Heroes had an awesome and succesful first season. It was new, it kept me hooked, and it gaves me what I wanted. Unfortunately as of season 2, it failed me. Although it wasn't delivering, I still stayed a loyal fan of the show. I sometimes questioned why this was the case. I would devotedly clear my schedule and rush home and fight over the tv, just to be amongst the first to watch the episode as it was shown. Lately though, thanks to the online streaming of episodes, I would not rush to see them. They were lacking something, I didn't really know what. But, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! I loved last night's episode. I think I will be back to watching it Mondays at 9. I just wish it would have been this great season long, now I know the wait from April to September will be eternal, like it was back in 2007. THANKS A MILLION!!!
  • THats it people, take it or leave it, no one i mean no one can hate this episode :D

kk dunno were to start, this is the first heroes episode, yes i mean the first, that was absolutely exciting without having scenes of both sylar and peter( peter had a scene or 2, but u know, not driven with), cause both are the best in the series. wen i started the episode, thought it would be all about sylar, and that its gonna b gr8, but the fact is that the episode was supreme gr8, but without sylar??? or even peter?? or nathan!!!! this show is changing....FOR GOOD. I liked most episodes of volume 3 and 4, but the ones that i hated weren't about important characters, but this episode, rly different....From this moment, heroes fans should stop worrying about critics anymore, "was this episode cool, did people like it", hehe not anymore people....HEROES IS BACk BIg time!!!!!!

and still, if u think about it, y did they do this episode without sylar or peter??? its because the next episode gonaa b about them!!!!!!!!cant wait for next week, welcome back heroes :D
  • The most poignant ending for the most perfect love story this show has ever done.

As Hiro & Ando deal with Matt Jr., Danko with Rebel's "gifts" and Angela manages to escape from the men that came to arrest her. The Ice Queen herself set the chain of events that leads to the most touching farewell a character on this show has ever had.

A much as I hate to see Daphne go, the way they did it was probably the most poignant and beautiful possible, as it had this nice symmetry between the first time Daphne died - when she uses her last breathe to run back home to die in Matt's arms - and this time aròund as he slips inside her mind so she could run back home to Paris once again only to die in his arms. The spirit walk that showed him a future they now will never share and the ability that allows her to spot a vision that now will never come true.

Their bittersweet goodbye reaches its peak as the audience realize this has happened during her agony, that the truth is Daphne is dying and all she had said thus far was to make this as easier for Matt as he was trying to make it for her but as frustrating as it was to never see the woman she was bound to become; Molly's stepmom, Hiro's nemesis, her father's daugtter and Matt's beloved all blend into one as Matt & Daphne fly to their happy ending even if it's only but a moment. And so they honor the lifetime that got reduced to a month, a marriage that only got to be a romance and how much they cared about one another with that one everylasting moment in time. Matt grieving for her with Mohinder by his side.
  • Tracy might not be dead

Although it appears Tracy is dead, did no one notice her BLINK after she was shattered on the floor?

Since this is heroes and all, she may not be dead after all and it could be she knew exactly what she was doing when she froze herself.

I wouldn't be surprised if the writers have evolved her power to the point where she can continue to live in ice / water form and may even do a terminator and rejoin herself.

Sounds absurd i know, but this is heroes we are talking about so i wouldn't count it out.

I just found it coincidental that her dead body was conveniently over an open drain (i could be reading too much into that but only time will tell)

I personally wouldn't pay for special effects to make her blink after she had been shattered unless i was either a) stupid or b) wanting to reveal something.

Just my thoughts, i could be completely wrong of course.

By the way, one of the best episodes ever by far, Brian Fuller is an excellent writer, i hope they keep him till the end of time!

Also, is it just me or does anyone else find it annoying that people can vote for the score of the episode before it is even shown? This episode deserves at least a rating in the 9 mark and it has a crappy 8.4 because of people voting before it is shown.

This is a growing trend on the internet, even with games and it is absolutely stupid!
  • Good episode but I didn't understand a couple of things.

Ohhh finally Daphne is dead. I mean how lame is her character and completely useless , now Matt is free that's good so he can concentrate in his powers.The final dream sequence was ok.I would have expected some panic in the hospital , I mean Matt just appeared in television with a bomb attached to his body anyway he controls everyones mind so that probably includes that as well. How stupid is Danko ? I mean let all the fugitives go just to find Rebel? That doesn't make much sense at all.How can Tracy possibly be alive ? I mean if she has water powers she could have escape through the sewers , but there is no way she could survive or so I hope because I don't like her character. I have to say , I didn't see it coming that Micah is Rebel til last week... because I read it in a user's review , which I " report abuse"him.I have to admit though it was pretty predictable. Ando and Hiro's appearance was boring until Hiro stopped time. Not my favourite episode but not that bad either
  • Back on track! Really amazing episode!

Are you 1's voters serious? This episode was amazing, the best for a long time ( since season 1). Defenetly Heroes is back again and I like it that way. I gave to this episode a 10.

For all the 1's voters, only occur me 2 things:
    1) You are lame people. You only be here for lame voting, what is stupid for a people tha don't like this show anymore continue to watching and vote with a 1 again and again. If anytime I have to give a 1 to a show I would stop to watch it in that moment. 2) You only gave 1 votes to that show because you are jeulosy that this show its for the most of the times on the top in first place, what that is stupid too. Lol.
    Get a life or a mind doctor!
  • Absolutely amazing, definately a classic. I was still crying well after the show had ended.

As I was watching, I was mostly paying attention to Matt and Daphne (since the two of them are the biggest reason I've been tuning in. They are the cutest couple and Daphne has been a big favorite of mine since the first time she appeared). I was also focused on Tracy and Rebel, since I was pretty sure I'd figured out who Rebel was. So, then Rebel got Tracy out and she helped Suresh, Matt, and Daphne escape (or, really, Matt helped her escape). Then she went off to go find Rebel while Matt and Suresh rushed a dying Daphne to the hospital.

When we found that Rebel was Micah, I seriously jumped off my couch and yelled, "I was right!" much to my family's annoyance. Because that's what I'd been thinking for about two weeks now. I really liked how it was Micah, too. It adds a bit of a twist that this young kid is helping out so many people.

Meanwhile, Ando and Hiro were dealing with baby Matt, which I found very funny. And now it makes me wonder what will happen with the baby and his father, now that we have found that both Matt and his young son have an ability...

And then later, when Daphne woke up in the hospital and left Matt, I was surprised and distraught. I really wanted them to get together.

And then Matt went to Daphne in Paris, and we found out that Matt was really just in her head, trying to give her a fairytale ending. While they floated around the Eiffel Tower, I was just sighing happily and mumbling about how beautiful it was and how much I loved it. And when she said, "Fly me to the moon," I was became fully and completely in love with this episode, even though she was dying.

And then, when it came back to the hospital and showed the heart monitor going in a straight line, I started crying. And I didn't stop crying for a long time.

Even though Daphne was my favorite character, and I was absolutely devastated that she died and would never become all that she was supposed to be, this was truly one of the best episodes ever.
  • Heroes is back on track with a great episode.

I had many thoughts at the end of this episode, but I decided that I was the most impressed with the fact that they actually USED their POWERS! What a bizarre notion, I know! It seems like everyone has been on the run for too long and they haven't actually done anything "special." But this great episode was chopped full of the powers, which made it interesting and action packed!

Hiro and Ando are back at large! It seems like every time those two get to shine in the light, Sylar doesn't show up. The writers need to find a way to fit them all in, because at least those characters are interesting! (unlike Mohinder!!!)

Towards the end, I just thought, "Wow. Daphine and Matt. This is kinda corny. Wait, he can fly? Okay. I won't question it." But when I realized it was all in her head, I'll admit it, a couple of tears escaped from my eyes. That was a really sweet way to go.

And Tracy is gone. For good? Who knows with this show! I will say that if this is the end for her, she was my favorite of all of Ali's characters. If it isn't the end, well, I guess I'll have to wait and see!
  • Great writing. Heroes at its best. We saw a special episode thanks Bryan Fuller. We finally know who rebel is along with some touchy moments.

Let me tell you I had been a bit dissapointed in Heroes since the second half of season 2. Killing Kensei so easily made me mad later on, since he had potential for background history of the Heroes family trees in the past and all that. And the huge mess they made on volume 3 villans oh my god, we didnt even know who had what alliegance, Nathan goin from prophet to crazy to bad guy was just silly and many other things I didnt like like too much Claire time. But this volume and this episode in particular gave me faith on the show once again. Superb writing, sound, acting overall entertaining. Loved it.

We continue to see our Heroes been hunted down but starting to group up again. I hope for this season to end well in terms of getting me hooked up on watching Heroes as I did once before.
< 1 2