Heroes

Cold Snap

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Mar 23, 2009 on NBC

• ughh

once more heroes isn't up to notch with their episodes. They clearly have no originality left and don't know where to go with the storyline. PLAN AHEAD! Shows such as Lost, have had the whole plot planned out from the beginning! That's why it has always been good! Because the writers know what amount of information to put in each episode! So what hapenned...?? Well, noway Micah was Rebel? Shocker. Tracy died and we barely knew anything about her character, and so did Daphne? Wtf? Why? Always Killing off the good characters, and keeping the bad ones. I can't stand watching this show anymore, it just gets more and more dissapointing.
  • Big improvement.

I cannot stress it enough times: stay in character and stay well-scripted. Two key points to a show's success. Noticing Jeph Loeb's name on the titles entry was a good sign that the Heroes *would* be acting in character and more like their original selves even after this show has shifted so far off the map. And after two weeks of waiting, did if feel right? Hell yes. I withheld my hands to applaud for Bryan Fuller but now applause is well deserved. The first thing to do is move last episode's characters out so we can focus on other people. Which means Sylar, Nathan, and Claire take a backseat and I'm not complaining, as I am feeling Claire's stories have gotten wearisome lately. (Maybe the writers can improve her storylines too.) It's till eerie to know Danko could be working with Sylar, who doesn't appear at all and only drops off the Puppetmaster as a gift. The Hunter seems a bit edgy now but at least he trusts Noah Bennett, which tightens the strain and makes me wonder what'll happen when Sylar faces the Heroes again.

Hiro's concern for Baby Matt was touching and sweet while his comments to Ando had classic humor written into the script. It's good to see the character's emotions shine through as Hiro struggles not to cry over the remembrance of losing his mother. I give another check plus to the writers for *finally* restoring some of Hiro's abilities, if not all of them. Disarming the Heroes for too long drags down the story but now that Hiro and Ando both have powers, they could end up as partners and rivals. I'm hoping for the Dyanmic Duo to stay strong, though.

And Rebel…is indeed…Micah. He wasn't my first assumption of "Rebel" because I presumed Micah was still the cute little kid from season one who needed a mother's guidance to protect her son from danger. But Noah Gray-Cabey has matured in voice, size, and attitude to bring the kickass Machine Boy back for the better. Micah doesn't seem bitter as the loss of both parents, though. He's still book-read, intelligent, and determined to be a Hero by fighting back. And we're all damn proud of Tracy for choosing to help her nephew escape. Her cry of "Micah!" even resonates back to Nikki, which can lead us to believe people are not dead in spirit if we live their legacy through the right actions. Is Tracy gone? I doubt it.

That brings us to the end of this episode where Daphne dies in a sad but sweet and gentle ending. I was actually pleased how they handled it since introducing Matt Jr. and Janice would complicate Matt's relationships. Perhaps it is a suggestion for Matt to reunite with his family…or in "Five Years Gone" hinting how he might switch sides. But the writers know how to (forgive the expression) dispose of characters who serve their purpose. Another check. The last scenario of Peter and Angela atop the Statue of Liberty was a pleasant one and it's nice to know she can rely on Peter, who may not have Nathan's stability but certainly has heart. I've been annoyed at how incompetent the Heroes have been portrayed since the start of season three but now if they can't take direct attack to their adversaries, at least they can escape together and ally themselves properly. The tagline was "the greatest power is working together" so my expectations include characters in their elements and living up to the arc's theme.
  • Mr. Fuller returns

It's amazing what a powerful creative force can do for a writers' room. "Heroes" is often written by committee, with the credit going to whichever writer gives a script its final polish. The net effect is that an episode is based on a bullet-point list of gestalt ideas, and it comes down to the talent and inspiration of the writer to flesh that out into something worthwhile. Given what we've seen of the "inspiration" provided by Tim Kring and the previous showrunners and the endless repetition of plot elements, that room needed some new (or, in this case, old) blood.

I make this point because it seemed to me that this episode wasn't necessarily a dramatic move away from the storytelling conceits that were found in previous episodes. Obviously, it couldn't stray too far from what was established, but if one saw a summary of previous episodes and this episode side by side, it wouldn't look all that different. What was different, however, was the evolution from the breaking of the story to the final version. The tone was substantially different, and I believe that is what many fans have noticed and continue to laud.

For example, Daphne's death seems to be rather pointless, given the fact that the audience was already led to believe that Daphne was dead once and she actually dies of her earlier wound in this episode. The end effect (driving Parkman towards revenge) was already in place. Letting her live only serves the purpose of giving Matt and Daphne a moment of closure that was previously missing, thus exploring an aspect of Matt's power that hasn't been seen recently.

There's also the baby plot with Hiro and Ando. Now, using this plot to explore Hiro's psychological reaction to everything that happened in Volume Three was a nice touch, because they usually don't bother with that enough. But having Matt's baby somehow restore part of Hiro's ability? That's a real stretch.

Finally, there's the latest example of a character "dying" out of some semblance of sacrifice, despite the fact that she's obviously not dead. Tracy's trick of freezing herself and fooling Danko into thinking that he can shatter her to death was clever enough, but how many times has a character seemingly died, only to come back? (See Daphne's recent arc.) This happens all the time on "Heroes".

Normally these things would be irritating. In this case, they were given more depth by just the right spin on the material. There was a much better emphasis on the characters and how these situations were affecting them on a personal level. Daphne's fate was secondary to how Matt reacted to the knowledge of it, and how he ultimately helped her have one last magical moment. Hiro's interaction with the baby was mostly about his own sublimated emotions. Tracy's ruse was well-done, and her reasons were tied to her regret for betraying Micah.

Add to that the exploration of Angela's attempts to escape Danko's forces (which was focused mostly on her fear), and this was more devoted to motivations than the lion's share of the episodes this season. It's hard to know if this was Bryan Fuller's doing or if it was simply the synergistic effect of his return to the writers' room. But whatever it was, it was a huge step in the right direction.
  • I am actually happy with the show again :)

I was actually impressed with Cold Snap, finally we get to see the heroes USE their powers. I was so tired of them just running or whimpering away that I was wondering why the show was called heroes to begin with....

I for one have never been into the whole we need to understand their motivation kinda guy. I like when a storyline keeps moving and forces a character to move forward constantly. So the whole Matt & Daphne fiasco (for me) has been pretty corny. I can't really put my finger on it so i think it's a combination of the actors, dialog, or portrayal - i'm just not sold that there was anything romantically whatsoever between those characters. So for me while Matt's been running around screaming for Daphne, i was sitting there thinking "Get it over with, let him find her so we dont' have to hear it anymore!" I was mostly hoping that Brea Grant's character would just leave Matt, honestly I do, I really loved having her on the show. I just hated the whole cringe worthy relationship

My positives, and I finally mean positives are - I absolutely loved that powers are finally coming into play. We're no longer seeing dramatic closeups cut scenes with the dramatic little song playing in the background(just like we do in a soap opera). Case in point, with Ali Larters character, she actually does something other than just run, stop and get caught. She takes people out including herself - however i did see the tear roll down her eye after her ice form was blow to bits, so I already know she's going to put herself together like the T2 and start using Iceman's ability to turn herself into ice form...

I don't think anybody was surprised to see that Rebel was indeed Micah. But it was great to see him back in full force "doing" things. It's sad when the grownups who should lead are being led by the kids in a show, that's how you know that you need new writers and I for one have to say thank gawd Bryan Fuller is now heading the pack :)
  • Another week, another insultingly terrible episode of what must be the saddest waste of a formerly entertaining show on TV today.

Lets play count the plot holes.

The writers apparently realized how completely boring Hiro was with no powers, so, he is now again able to freeze time. Of course, he doesn't REALLY freeze time, as the writers somehow can't see the gap in logic created by having time frozen, but allowing Hiro to move things around normally. Baby matt can apparently "turn on" anything, even a tv with no electricity flowing into it (I guess his power includes creating electricity?) and powers which were supposedly completely removed already in the past.

Everything we have ever seen on this series in the past seemed to indicate that powers do not manifest until at least adolescence. As usual, any past plot points are abandoned when the writers run out of ideas, so, now a baby has a (nonsensical) power. Eyes made out of ice, unconnected to any brain or nerves of any kind, can apparently blink/cry on their own. Fantastic.

Matt is apparently now so powerful that he can create an illusion of the entire world, or at least a massive portion of it. He was able to actually convince Daphne that she ran from the hospital in the US all the way to Paris. Over the ocean. Who cares if nothing we have ever seen on the show would lead us to believe Matt was capable of sustaining an illusion this huge, the writers wanted to put it in there.

There is clearly very little if any intelligent thought put into the writing of this show. And, based on the continued positive ratings of the fans on this site, the audience for heroes apparently doesn't notice, or just doesn't mind a show that constantly treats its own fans as complete and utter morons.
  • Finally an old fashion well written episode. The show is restoring it's former glory.

I was pleasantry surprised by this episode. After a bunch of rather uninformative and grinding episodes, Cold Snap was a well written episode that would do volume 1 proud. Though, I was less then surprised about ''rebels'' identity. It was even sort of obvious. However, the return of this character is far from disappointing.

Two character died in this episode, both Daphne and Tracy met their fate. But there was one thing about the cold snap scene that bugged me. Even though it looked very spectacular, the way the scene ended raised some questions, or better said criticism. When Danko shot Tracy, you saw a shot of (half) her face shattered on the ground. Here she blinked and a tear drop ran down her frozen cheek.

It seems a very strange thing to end a scene with. And totally unrealistic.
    A> She was frozen, it would have been physically impossible to move her eye at all. B> The head was decapitated and shattered in half (including the brain). It would not be logical for the brain to sent any kind of signal to the facial muscles or recolonize any kind of emotion for that matter.

So either they did a real poor job on the ending of this scene. Or they're planning to bring Tracy back like a jig saw puzzle or something. Hey, it's still Heroes right?

Daphne's death was a little less obvious, they made you to believe trough the entire episode that she was back on her feet. But nearing the end, it got obvious after Matt took flight that her miraculous recovery was nothing but an illusion created by Matt. After an romantic goodbye, Daphne flat lined and passed away. Which I don't really mind, since Daphne wasn't a hateful character, but not very compelling either.

Angela however had a more exciting role in this episode, on the run from Danko and his crew, se was later saved by Peter after she got chased by one of Danko's crews. And it seems like Peter and Angela teamed up. So I expect to see a more active Peter, since he's now with Angela who always been one of the master minds behind every big secret in the series. I'm still not sure what Noah's role is in all of this. His goals are never full out there, and remains to be a complicated and mysterious character.

What Sylar's intentions are with Danko aren't clear to me yet either (The Puppet Master was obviously a present from him). I suppose it's for yet another sinister scheme for which Sylar is known for.

Conclusion:

It is pretty obvious to me that the writers are trying to set the series straight. Characters who don't serve important roles die, and powers are returned to the characters that do matter. It is only a matter of time before Heroes is restored into it's former glory.
  • Oh what an improvement!

This was a much better episode of Heroes than we've had for a while and it's probably no coincidence that the writer of the episode is Bryan Fuller who we all know is a great writer. It was nice seeing Swoozie Kurtz in this and having her and Bryan Fuller working together again now that ABC has cancelled Pushing Daisies. Tracy died during this but I was not surprised to see her go, the character just never really worked here. Micah's comeback was great to see, though. I did miss Sylar here. Good to see Heroes is finally returning towards the things that made it so good in the past.
  • Small but Big events

I've always thought that not having every character in every episode would get confusing and certain connections not made or even lost, but Hereos manages extremely well. I was amazed but this week's revelation that our littlest hero Micah is actually "Rebel". I was also intrigued that this week's focus seemed to be on the small battles verses blowing things up or creating a bloody mess. Ando and Hiro as always were great comic relief especially when a baby is thrown into the mix. But this week's loss of Daphne was a surprise. However, with the reappearance of Matt's ex and his son could make things interesting with the added bonus that "little Matt" has a power.
  • Embarrassing and painful to watch

This TV series had one of the best 1st seasons ever and it became such an embarrassing to series to watch...It's exactly the type of junk that makes people hate sci-fi. Unoriginal and twists that you can see from a mile away. I'm sure that the actress that played Tracy wanted to kill herself for real...
    The story line is just stupid! it's insulting to the intelligence...

It seems like the writers of the show just don't know where to take it...maybe they have the last episode in mind but just don't know how to get there...I think that when this TV series started the writers had some kind of a saying about evolution, god or something and then it came into this....

This series is almost as embarrassing as prison break these days...and sometimes even more. Rebel's identity was so predictable it's almost not worth the effort to think how they bad guys didn't figure that one out...
    They know that Matt's baby has powers but doesn't know who rebel is? that is so stupid I want to scream....
    It's frustrating because this show had a really good 1st season. Also, the fact that they gave Hiro and Peter so much power at the beginning and now they are taking it away because they just don't know what to do with it is again so painfully obvious. I really watch this show because I remember how good the first season was but i really think they should end this show as soon as possible, although most of their dignity is already gone anyway...

P.S - the writers might want to watch a season or two of BSG....or even terminator for gods sake...anything is better then this cartoon...
  • This Tv series is getting more boring as it moves forward

really when this show started it was one of the greatest ever although sometimes u felt something is missing but still it was good.
    it looks like the writers write something put it in show then they regret it and write something else in the next episode!
    the thing that bothers me the most about this series is that the characters dissapear without a goodbye!
    AND next thing is the softness of characters.such series must have epic battles but we havent seen even one in this 2 years that this show is on air.
    i only watch this series to see how it ends i doubt that i even watch the next season because according to what we saw the series gets worse each season.
    peter was cool because of his power now he is just like others!
    hiro was cool because of his power now he only can stop time!how's that possible?
    the writers don't explain why peter's power or hiro's power is like that.
    they need to finish this series A.S.A.P
  • Again - another clone dies - and another fan considers leaving the show.

4.5
    I am a massive fan of the show. But to be honest this episode really did seem rather pointless. Why are the writers constantly hacking their way through strong, female characters? Elle, Tracy and Daphne - three characters that could have developed further into something possibly series saving. Tracy is the biggest waste. Her character could have been taken in so many ways and if she really is dead - this is a mistake. ANOTHER DEAD CLONE? oh my god please. If the barbara rumours are true how good would it have been to put the characters together? A clone has not met another yet. And Elle dying in such a limp way. my god. Nathan, Mohinder and even at times Sylar. COME ON! How much more do they have to offer? there is no change! They are so boring at times my eyes water. The writers need to take stock. As I said - I am a massive fan but even I am tuning off if this continues.
  • Tracy escapes with the help of Rebel, Angela is running from Danko's men but is saved by Peter, Matt and Mohinder rush Daphne to the hospital and Hiro and Ando save baby Matt Parkman from Danko's men. Our Heroes have their first two casualties.

The seventh chapter is one written by Bryan Fuller (the second of two episodes the other being Company Man of volume 1). The chapter focuses on Tracy Strauss.
    Continuing from the previous episode, Sylar was in Danko's appartment and leaves a little gift for him; the puppetmaster who is taken to Building 26. Danko offers Noah the chance to kill Doyle for what he has done to Claire and Sandra and in exchange Noah offers to bring him Rebel.
    Tracy manages to escape from Building 26 with Rebel's help and free Matt, Mohinder and near death Daphne as well. Seperated from the others, Tracy heads to a shop to buy clothes and is found by Noah. He in fact tells her that she was sloppy and that she will be found by Danko. She makes arrangements with Noah to give them Rebel in exchange for her freedom. After acquiring money and a train ticket by an ATM machine, Tracy heads to the nearest train station where she meets with Rebel; who turns out to be non other than Micah Sanders (I know Micah seemed to be the obvious person behind Rebel but it doesn't mean that it was the only one; there are many special people and the possibilities were many, just like Nathan couldn't be identified as the flying man). Tracy tells Micah that she is bait to capture him and Tracy not having any other solution sacrifices herself to save Micah. She freezes an entire parking place and with it many agents. Micah escapes and Danko kills Tracy.
    Matt and Mohinder arrive with Daphne at the hospital. Matt gives the doctors the details of his ex-wife instead of Daphne's. When Daphne wakes up, she tells Matt that what they had was not real; it was only the manifestation of Matt's spirit walk. Relunctant to believe they are meant to be together, Daphne puts on her clothes and runs off leaving a sadden Matt behind. In the end, Daphne dies from her injuries but before that Matt gives her the greatest ending she would have hoped for; a romantic fly around the Eiffel Tower. Of course, that is only happening in Daphne's head with Matt telepathy.
    Angela meets with Noah for the last time who tells him that they shouldn't meet anymore in risk that Danko might see them. Noah warns Angela that she will be hunted down now that Nathan is no longer within the operation and takes off. After running away from Danko's men, she meets up with an old friend of hers, Millie, who gives her money. Angela leaves but is soon found by Danko's men. Not having any other choice, she enters a hotel. There she is saved by Peter and taken to the Statue of Liberty.
  • A fantastic back to basics episode that tops the previously best episode of the season: Our Father

Everything about this episode was cleverly plotted, well executed and at times hilariously heartbreaking. I didnt even have to ask who breathed new life into Heroes as I knew the episode number...(I heard a certain someone would be back writing by this episode). Anyway, Heroes became something you could get excited over again. The strories were consistently entertaining which this season has obviously been lacking. And the noble 'death' of Tracy was visually sensational as well as a pivotal plot line. And the sometimes unconvincing, annoying storyline of Daphne/Matt came to a beautifully written close which, even if you didnt like them together was rather sweet. Btw, Gwen Stefani? Lol. Rebel's identity is finally revealed and Hiro's power is back, well sort of. Will Heroes keep it up? Well, the finale was really good but the episodes in between kind of fall flat in comparison. What have we learnt? Tracy has one helluva cold snap!
  • Micah is REEBEL !!! and Dafni and Tracy are dead!!!

Lots and lots of events happened, and now we see more and more heroes being killed.
    the most important things that Micah seems to be Reebel, how crazy is that i was really shocked but it really made sense that he control electricity and stuff.
    and Yattaaa finally Hero got half of his ability back hahaha that was funny, though i was sad for the death of Tracy and Dafni!! how come they kill Tracy, i mean like Dafni we knew that she was already dead why bringing her back and then kill her!!! that was stupid.
    i liked the scene when Tracy freed everything, the effects was amazing!!
    but in the beginning of the episode i thought like Scyler wil have a little talk with umm I forgot his name, but he didnt!!! i mean whats the point?? maby we'll know later.
    but i felt how Angela end up as a fugitive, poor her.
  • Bryan Fuller introduces brilliant writting to Heroes not seen since in a long time. People died, characters were cared about again. The special effects were amazing.

This episode hands down is the best episode of the Season. The second best was Turn and Face The Strange. Revol was obvious, but I was still happy. The way Tracy died was epic, and she is not died is what I heard. I shed some tears of joy because I felt like it was Season 1 again. Now when it rains I will say "Cloud just Burst" Hiro and Ando are back to bring us humor. Matt loses Daphnie and showed emotion. The special effects at the end were amazing. Tracy freezing everything while Micah runs away, Daphnie going to the moon, and The Petrilli's in the Statue of Liberty to end things were awsome. The things that are making this show great again is no future drawings, better writting, and emotion. It took 20 episodes minus Our Father, and a few others to come to it's sinces. Whatever disapointments are now few and not noticeable
  • Fuller Is Heroes Hero

Bryan Fuller is amazing! Cold Snap was the best in the last two seasons! He the genious behind Pushing Daisies and now he brings the most compelling episode yet! I think he showed the new characters like Tracey and Danko to be more than boring new creations: he gave them a realism. Micah Is Back!!!! Yay!!! Tracey's death (?) actually made me sad even though I didn't care for her. The dialogue was awesome! Bryan made the best ideas truely come to life! Bryan Fuller made the whole volume better than two and three! He showed Heroes can have action sequences with awesome effects while still being above most TV shows on TV. This episode (and I can't stop saying how amazing it was!) was the episode that Heroes fans (such as myself) have waited for... the sign Heroes in new hands will be back on track. Fuller You Are Amazing!!!! It would be an understatement to say your amazing!
  • This is the strongest episode of the season.

The identity of "Rebel" is revealed. Noah wants Danko to let Tracy go in the hope that she will lead them to Rebel. Hiro and Ando continue with the mission that Rebel entrusted to them, to keep the new hero safe. Wow, wow, wow this is what we want to see, now I have to say for a show called Heroes the show doesnt really have people getting saved but this last few episode s there has been lots of saving, I like that for exampple in this episode we see Tracy save Micah by freezing the room full of agents this was a awesome scene it was very, very cool. Lots of great things happened here, Matt gave Daphne one final goodbye it was sad. Hiro acctually did someting fun to watch. Peter hasn't been around much during the next couple of episodes but he saves his mum. the whole episode was a joy to watch. 10 out of 10.
  • THE BEST!HEROES;

THE BEST!HEROES;)lovely, thank you heroes for coming back as nr.1 show for me;) looking forward watching sylar kill danko tonight!!;D And with Andos super charger besides the little Matt Parkman and Micah/Rebell, this show will just grow the last episodes.. And what happens in redemption, i wonder. Amazing things! An other little interessant twist is that what wil happen to Angela. And nathan and claire in mexico. the only that disappoint is me that they are hiding.. i want fight! would had been cool seeing nathan face sylar once, and in the end of the volume maybe he does? with bryan fuller, everything could be expected. Im gonna watch asylum now, im excited. cya guys!
  • anyone who is rating this episode anything lower than a 7 is on crack. this episode was one i've been waiting for since the start of volume 4...and it did live up.

Best thing about Cold Snap?--> Tracy and Micah.
    Was it me or is Tracy going to act more like Nikki for now on? Seems like Micah is the one person who could get to Tracy. Seeing the full extent(?) of her power was awesome to see. This episode reminded me a lot of the season one plot with micah and nikki, even though it was made clear that Tracy is not Niki. Ando and Hiro using their powers together is sweet!! and what is up with the hunter and sylar? really going to be working together so that sylar can be the only one with powers left? things are kinda heating up... can't wait to see the last 5 episodes of the 3rd season.
  • Loved this episode to bits!

People really need to to get over their bitter disappointment. I do agree, this volume hasnt been the best but this episode and the one before it really restored my faith in the show.

*Spoiler below, read at your own risk*

We finally got to see heroic Tracey, that whole sequence where she sacrificies her life to save Mica (he's REBEL by the way) was truly heartbreaking. Bring on the Last triplet I say!

Poor, poor daphne :( The way her death was shown was very emotional. This is what this show should be all about. The writers need to keep showcasing the emotion of the characters through what they this show is all about - The super powers.

I really hope the rest of the volume keeps the bar high and ends with a bang. It's about time the jinx of bad finales is forgotten once and for all.
  • I think some people are too bitter over the past two seasons to realize how good this episode actually was. It was very, very good.

I don't know why this episode got such a low score, I mean seriously people. An 8.7? Wow, like I honestly am giving this episode an 10. Not because I want to counter the people that give it 1's for no reason, but because I really think this episode deserves a ten out of ten. There were so many wonderful moments, and the story smoothly went from one place to another. For instance, Tracy's death was just pure epicness. I loved the way she proved what Micah said about her wrong by taking one last stand against Danko. I hope she comes back, or her third twin comes up because Ali Larter is just amazing. Daphne's death brought me to tears, the whole scene was just magnificent. When she said "fly me to the moon" and then it showed the heart rate monitor at a steady 0... that was just heartbreaking. So this episode was definetly one of, if not the best episode of this season.
  • With people writing bad reviews, just to lower the score, I had to make an account.

Cold Snap was an amazing episode on par with the first volume. It was written by Pushing Daisies creator Bryan Fuller, who wrote the one the best episodes for the first volume. He also wrote the script for the now uninteresting character Claire. But this review isn't about him, It's about why I love me some Cold Snap:
    Reason Number 1: It had a great pace
    2: Hiro and Ando were good comic relief
    3: It had an excellent usage of the "Heroes" abilities.
    4:It was so awesome I got my Mom (who's not a fan of the show) to sit down and watch it with me.
    I told her "Mom, tonight's going to be a special episode of Heroes" I might even get her to watch the next episode "Into Asylum".
  • What's wrong with you people? Are you too bitter over the terrible chapters 2 and 3 that you can't see, this was the best episode in 2 years.

Okay now...Chapters 2 and 3 were disappointing, really unorganized and made me dislike characters who could've been so much more.

I blame Bryan Fuller. He wrote (not some of, but) the best episodes of season one. He left to make his own show, Pushing Daisies, which recently got cancelled. They brought him back with a 7-figure contract saying, please fix this broken show, it still has promise. [No exaggeration]

Off the bat, this is the best arc, the show has had since the first. This episode is the best of this arc. This is how you win Emmy's. It felt like a movie director came on to do this episode, because it never lost tension or momentum.

Everyone hit on this one. Tracy had the best episode Ali Larter's done since halfway through season 1. Angela was incredible. Parkman, as much as I don't like him, surprised me with how well his and Daphne's story were written. Ando and Hiro were a lot of fun to watch again, how did that happen? The power struggle was great with Noah this time around too.

And SPOILER ALERT...any fan who missed everything pass the first episode could've guessed it was Micah who was Rebel, but that wasn't the point. It was showing you something you already knew was going to happen in a great way. [[That was the most shocking and incredible show of power since that time Nathan flew away from HRG and the Haitian]]

So personally, I don't understand this episode having a rating of 8.5. This is the one that I'd expect them to present to the Emmy committee, at least until the next Bryan Fuller episode. Get with it people, that superhero show is back in business.
  • Finally we get an episode of Heroes that actually Makes you care about what your watching

From the first few minutes, something sid that this episode was going to change things. Finally the writers behind the series are starting to do some cutting, realising things that are bogging the series down, and this seems to be a step towards a more focused sense of storytelling. First off, they have got rid of Daphne, which is a shame at the same time as being relieving, because her scenes in this episode with Matt, are the first scenes that her relationship seemed genuine. However, her death was something that was needed to be done. Many of the lines in this episode seemed to echo the viewers concerns over the last season, like the writers are telling us they know they have done wrong but they will do thier best to correct it. For example Ando states " does Matt even know he has a son " Seems the writers are admitting that they have made a mess, and are starting to clean up

This was also the first episode in a while where the characters powers have been used to actual effect: Matt and the others escape, Tracy helping rebel to escape, Hiro and time travel, ect ect.

One thing I would say is that I really do hope that tracy isnt dead, she was just starting to become an interesting character, with her morality and self conflict coming to light in her scenes with Micah. Personaly I didnt want them to kill of her original character from season one, but if she is dead, pleeeeease dont bring Ali Larter back ( nothing against her, she is a brilliant actress ) as another sister clone, or whatever. So it seems that Heroes is finally starting to right its wrongs and drive Fugitives to a satisfying conclusion. Lets pray next wek is another step forward, and not afew steps back.
  • And the cogs are back in motion

At bloody last! Heroes finally seems to know what its doing again! Excellent episode. My dwindling passion has been well and truly revived! Loved seeing the knew and improved Micah back in the show, he seems so much more mature now (his voice has even broken!) and you just get the sense that the show is finally going somewhere.

I think the removal of Nathan from power is definately what was needed. It was just too hard to believe there was any threat while he was in charge. Danko on the other hand has a real sense of danger about him and it imediately adds that tension that has been severely lacking up to now.

The main reason i enjoyed this was probably due to the amount of powers on display, the special effects were great here. I actually cheered out loud when Hiro froze time again! I had wonderd when he would get his powers back. I had always found it suspicious that a genetically given power could just be taken away like that anyway and had thought they had simply returned because hs body had regenerated its "power cells". In any case i was just happy they returned. Im actually excited about nxt week now, i just wish i could completely cut out the memory of last season...
  • WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

First off, the bad news. While Bryan Fuller may be brilliant, he's not magic, and he can't undo Villains, and he can't undo Generations. The best thing he can do, is make us feel like they mattered. Here's the good news: he does this, and in a fantastic way: we actually get to hear a character talk about something that happened in a previous volume! What an unusual idea! Why the writers never thought of this before, I don't know, and honestly I don't care. Now, I can complain about Villains all I want, but this is a review of Cold Snap, not Villains, so here's to a fresh start.

So, "Cold Snap" begins in a very creepy way. For those of you that don' remember at the end of Shades of Gray, Sylar entered Danko's appartment, leaving him a stuffed rabbit. We pick up later, and Dank makes another frightening discovery: Eric Doyle, everyone's favorite Puppet Master, all wrapped up, bearing a twisted note from Sylar: "MY GIFT TO YOU." This scene is where it becomes apparent that Cold Snap is different from every other episode we have seen so far this season. I was expecting Sylar to walk in and have him and Danko begin discussing their evil plans. This was much more dramatic, and reminded me of season one, when we found Sylar's victims horribly mutilated in bizzare ways. So even though we never even see him, Bryan Fuller managed to begin Sylar's road to redeming himself as a character.

As Cold Snap progresses, HRG and Danko decide to allow Tracy to escape in hopes of finding REBEL. She helps Matt and Mohinder, who had been drugged at teh beginning of the episode in another errie scene, to escape. Matt of course wants to bring Daphne, but in another great scene, Tracy shows her darker side saying to leave her because she will slow them down. Again, this is one of those moments that one no longer expects from a show like Heroes. It wasn't quite what I was expecting, yet it was realistic. Of course Matt decides to save her anyways, carrying her out, and using his power to trick the guards into not seeing them. Once they escape though, Tracy leaves the safety of the super-powered herd, and goes off on her own. Then in another creepy scene, HRG finds her and threatens her life unless she leads them to REBEL. Tracy agrees, unaware of what is coming next.

Meanwhile, in the hospital, Daphne awakens to find Matt looking over her. This scene was one of the episdoes best because Daphne finally ackowledged that her and Matt have no emotional backstory. I found myself cheering her on as she laid it on the line for him: He had a dream that they were married. Period. Nothing else ever happened, and she sped off. That's really what made this scene great though: Bryan Fuller's willingness to acknwoledge the mistakes of his colleagues.

For Hiro and Ando, the story is a little more light-hearted. They pick up dealing with baby Matt Parkman, at first believing that it is THE Matt Parkman, turned baby. The catch on, and once again Bryan Fuller uses the character's to ackowledge past confusion. "Does Matt Parkman even know he has a baby"-Ando. Despite the light-hearted elemnets we got a raw, emotional scene out of it. Hiro seems to be avoiding the baby, and it all leads to a heart wrenching moment when Hiro fianlly reveals to Ando that when he travelled back in time, his mother died in his arms. It was sad, and touching, and it was just one of those scenes that brought a tear to your eye. Oh, I almost forgot, baby Matt has a power! He touches things and makes them turn on, like a TV that's not plugged in. Soon after, Janice (Matt's ex-wife) returns home, and after learning that agents are after people like her son and ex, the agents arrive and she is taken by them, believing that it will keep them from finding her son. It doesn't and the agents search the house anyway. It almost looks like lights-out for Hiro and Ando, when baby Matt makes Hiro's powers work again. He stops time, but soon realizes that all of his powers don't work, and he is forced to escape by placing Ando in a wheel barrel, instead of teleporting. It was truly funny, and reminded me Hiro can be funny without being stupid!

Back on the Tracy front, we find her receiving mor help from REBEL who instructs her to go to a subway station. Once there, she makes a shocking discovery: REBEL is Micah, and she has jsut lead agents right to him. This is another one of those great moments, when she reveals that the agents followed her. Micah is shocked that she went along with it, and we got another touching seen as Micah comes to realize that Tracy is not anything like his mother, and nothing like her bio says she is. This leads to another sad moment as the agents arrive to kill REBEL...and Tracy. But Tracy redeems herself, having Micah turn on the fire alarm to make the sprinklers go. She tells him to run in a truly heartfelt scene, just before using all of her power to kill the agents, but ultimatley she is also frozen, and when Danko and HRG arrive, the Hunter shoots her frozen chest. Her body crumbles, and it is clear that even HRG is having trouble dealing with it. Again, Bryan Fuller reveals his genius by prooving that HRG may be cold, but he still has feelings, and this job is not an easy thing for him to do. Don't worry though Tracy fans, we do get to see Tracy's shattered face blink, and shed a single tear. This was also good, because the writers made sure that, it was establsihed right form the beginning that she wan't dead.

We then return to Matt only to find him standing on a rooftop in Paris, having found Daphne. The two share a heartfelt moment again, and it makes one wonder if they might have had a real relationship had Bryan Fuller been in charge. Matt then reveals that he can fly, and its one of those shocking and confusing moments. I wasn't really sure what had happened and if he somehow had gotten empathic mimicry. It was fun though, getting to question the scene briefly. Daphne and Matt go off flying together, and Daphne makes a sad announcement. She asks him to let her go, and it is revealed that Matt can't fly, it's just another illusion, and they are still in the hospital. Matt relctantly agrees but Daphne asks for one last favor: to fly her to the moon. I nearly cried when watching this scene, I really did, especially once we see Daphne die in her hospital bed. I had hated her for the longest time, but once she was dead, I missed her, and I think that this is really where Bryan Fuller gets his power. He can make anyone care about any character.

There was also some Angela in this episode. We see her transformation into a pathetic weak, old lady on the run from the government. This allows us to be introduced to her old firend Millie who offers some assitstance, but not much. She escapes the agents by going into an elevator. They come very lcose to capturing her, but Peter rushes in to save her. It was a great scene and made me really appreciate Cold Snap.

It looks like Heroes's future is very bright with Bryan Fuller.
  • Bryan Fuller returns to Heroes and gives it a much needed boost. Let's hope it sticks...

This was a brilliant episode, although that may just be relative to the recent dearth of good writing on the show. Aside from the high points everyone has mentioned there were little touches that really set this one apart. Danko referencing Yogi Bear, for instance, or Swoosie Kurtz's wry cameo were classic Bryan Fuller. More importantly, the show ditched its usual pretentious air and got a needed dose of self-awareness. This was made especially clear when Daphne lectures Matt on their lack of backstory or real chemistry (a problem which was blatantly evident in previous episodes). The genius turn, of course, was using that subtle setup to make the big fantasy sequence that much more real and poignant.

Most of all, though, we finally got back to actually caring about these characters. Heroes has struggled mightily to find a balance between being plot-driven and character-driven, and this episode showed you can in fact have it both ways. It had plenty of action, but paused just long enough to remind us that these are intended to be real, three-dimensional people, not just one-dimensional superheroes. And it was all done in such a nuanced way--building up a level of suspense and emotional investment that will hopefully carry us through the upcoming episodes.

In sum, Heroes still has problems--many of them--but this episode sure seems like a start in the right direction.
  • This episode was coming and I had an idea of what to expect.

We all knew of Tracy's power. Some of us knew about Hanna G. and we knew about Micah Sanders. I think overall this was a swell episode. For those who over analyzed and figured Micah wasn't "Rebel" sorry all. He is. I saw one or two small edits to make with the review posted here. Does anyone think that the wink at the end from Tracey's shattered face means anything? Also, maybe I should re watch the episode I didn't remember HGR mentioned that deal to Ice Queen. Also, was anyone else surprised that Peter came to save Angela? I was.
  • Best episode of Villains by far.

This was one of the best episodes of volume four, well first of all, I never ever doubt Heroes, or think that they are going downhill like everyone else says. That is just bogus. Micah being rebel, that was surprising, I'm being literal when I say that. It was so sad how Tracy died. why do they have to be killing off Ali Larter's characters. Well somewhere on here, say she is still is alive. Peter saves the day in the end, looks like he hasn't sworn off his mother just yet. This episode overall should be rated a 10 on tv.com. What's wrong with these people.
  • Great writing. Heroes at its best. We saw a special episode thanks Bryan Fuller. We finally know who rebel is along with some touchy moments.

Let me tell you I had been a bit dissapointed in Heroes since the second half of season 2. Killing Kensei so easily made me mad later on, since he had potential for background history of the Heroes family trees in the past and all that. And the huge mess they made on volume 3 villans oh my god, we didnt even know who had what alliegance, Nathan goin from prophet to crazy to bad guy was just silly and many other things I didnt like like too much Claire time. But this volume and this episode in particular gave me faith on the show once again. Superb writing, sound, acting overall entertaining. Loved it.

We continue to see our Heroes been hunted down but starting to group up again. I hope for this season to end well in terms of getting me hooked up on watching Heroes as I did once before.
< 1 2