Heroes

Cold Snap

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Mar 23, 2009 on NBC

• Another week, another insultingly terrible episode of what must be the saddest waste of a formerly entertaining show on TV today.

Lets play count the plot holes.

The writers apparently realized how completely boring Hiro was with no powers, so, he is now again able to freeze time. Of course, he doesn't REALLY freeze time, as the writers somehow can't see the gap in logic created by having time frozen, but allowing Hiro to move things around normally. Baby matt can apparently "turn on" anything, even a tv with no electricity flowing into it (I guess his power includes creating electricity?) and powers which were supposedly completely removed already in the past.

Everything we have ever seen on this series in the past seemed to indicate that powers do not manifest until at least adolescence. As usual, any past plot points are abandoned when the writers run out of ideas, so, now a baby has a (nonsensical) power. Eyes made out of ice, unconnected to any brain or nerves of any kind, can apparently blink/cry on their own. Fantastic.

Matt is apparently now so powerful that he can create an illusion of the entire world, or at least a massive portion of it. He was able to actually convince Daphne that she ran from the hospital in the US all the way to Paris. Over the ocean. Who cares if nothing we have ever seen on the show would lead us to believe Matt was capable of sustaining an illusion this huge, the writers wanted to put it in there.

There is clearly very little if any intelligent thought put into the writing of this show. And, based on the continued positive ratings of the fans on this site, the audience for heroes apparently doesn't notice, or just doesn't mind a show that constantly treats its own fans as complete and utter morons.
  • ughh

once more heroes isn't up to notch with their episodes. They clearly have no originality left and don't know where to go with the storyline. PLAN AHEAD! Shows such as Lost, have had the whole plot planned out from the beginning! That's why it has always been good! Because the writers know what amount of information to put in each episode! So what hapenned...?? Well, noway Micah was Rebel? Shocker. Tracy died and we barely knew anything about her character, and so did Daphne? Wtf? Why? Always Killing off the good characters, and keeping the bad ones. I can't stand watching this show anymore, it just gets more and more dissapointing.
  • Embarrassing and painful to watch

This TV series had one of the best 1st seasons ever and it became such an embarrassing to series to watch...It's exactly the type of junk that makes people hate sci-fi. Unoriginal and twists that you can see from a mile away. I'm sure that the actress that played Tracy wanted to kill herself for real...
    The story line is just stupid! it's insulting to the intelligence...

It seems like the writers of the show just don't know where to take it...maybe they have the last episode in mind but just don't know how to get there...I think that when this TV series started the writers had some kind of a saying about evolution, god or something and then it came into this....

This series is almost as embarrassing as prison break these days...and sometimes even more. Rebel's identity was so predictable it's almost not worth the effort to think how they bad guys didn't figure that one out...
    They know that Matt's baby has powers but doesn't know who rebel is? that is so stupid I want to scream....
    It's frustrating because this show had a really good 1st season. Also, the fact that they gave Hiro and Peter so much power at the beginning and now they are taking it away because they just don't know what to do with it is again so painfully obvious. I really watch this show because I remember how good the first season was but i really think they should end this show as soon as possible, although most of their dignity is already gone anyway...

P.S - the writers might want to watch a season or two of BSG....or even terminator for gods sake...anything is better then this cartoon...
  • Strong special effects, Weak plotline.

Even though this episode contained some of the strongest special effects of the series so far, that wasn't enough to make this a great episode. While it did reveal some key events and characters (including the somewhat predictable identity of REBEL), the episode itself was still rather weak. There were two deaths in this episode, and I'm glad for both of them. Tracy has been the weakest character of the series, and she needed to go. Daphne, while I've seen many reviewers take a liking to her, was also a pointless character in my opinion. The show is attempting a transition into something new by weeding out some characters, but I doubt it will be enough to fix the various plot holes that have brought this show from being great to mediocre.
  • It is all very predictable at this point.

i predicted micah was 'rebel' in my last review. im sure many of you did as well, seeing as he is the only person with that power. so if you had any common sense, there was nothing revealed in this episode.

now wasnt sylar in dankos apartment? so supposedly he delivered doyle to him? leaving us to wonder what happened to claire.. but guess what, im just happy she wasnt in this episode. it was probably the highlight for me.

there really isnt any emotion behind this whole daphne and matt thing, as there was no real build up of the relationship. the whole fairy tale ending thing was therefore nothing but time filler for me.

i think people liked heroes character because he acted like a bright eyed child ready to do whatever it took. now they are writing him more like a spoiled brat, and its getting old, fast. oh yes, and how convenient that matts son has the power to not only make electronics turn on but your powers that were REMOVED, not turned off. i could kind of buy it with peter, since his dad could have taken everything he had accumulated and left his original ability. but lets face it, they havent really thought all of that through anyhow. like you could removed someones genetically gifted power...
  • This Tv series is getting more boring as it moves forward

really when this show started it was one of the greatest ever although sometimes u felt something is missing but still it was good.
    it looks like the writers write something put it in show then they regret it and write something else in the next episode!
    the thing that bothers me the most about this series is that the characters dissapear without a goodbye!
    AND next thing is the softness of characters.such series must have epic battles but we havent seen even one in this 2 years that this show is on air.
    i only watch this series to see how it ends i doubt that i even watch the next season because according to what we saw the series gets worse each season.
    peter was cool because of his power now he is just like others!
    hiro was cool because of his power now he only can stop time!how's that possible?
    the writers don't explain why peter's power or hiro's power is like that.
    they need to finish this series A.S.A.P
  • Pointless episode with fewer and fewer characters, even characters being killed off. I'm starting to worry about Heroes' future.

I can't even call this a filler episode, it actually served almost no purpose, it wasn't even informative. I can only hope more of an effort is made for the finale because if the season doesn't end on a high note, it's really in trouble.

Angela warns Bennet to sacrifice one of them to win Danko's trust. She knows who Rebel is! Maybe driving around in the Petrelli limousine is not the best plan. Bennet literally gift wrapped Doyle for Danko! A prophetic dream lets Angela gets out. It gets ugly, why do they need so many guns, she's just clairvoyant! Peter to the rescue and it's very obvious symbolism with the Statue of Liberty.

Danko tricks Mohinder into walking into the facility under his own steam, under the guise of helping the prisoners. Why is Tracy still the only one not drugged? Rebel comes for Tracy, letting her out so she can release the others. A good move, we get Matt, Mohinder and Daphne in the deal. Rebel is Micah! Hind sight is always 20/20, who else would it be?! Surely there was a better way to save Micah than sacrificing herself!

I love Ando and Hiro but they are morons! They finally figure out who the baby is and he has a power! He can power something even if it's not plugged in. Hiro's powers are back! Well, at least his freeze power.

Matt convinces the staff that Daphne is Gwen Stefani! Incredibly sweet how Matt tries to give Daphne her fairytale ending.

Not a great episode, very little happened and the strain on the budget is becoming increasingly obvious. Fewer and fewer characters in an episode and interacting with each other, characters being killed off. Really worrying.
  • Again - another clone dies - and another fan considers leaving the show.

4.5
    I am a massive fan of the show. But to be honest this episode really did seem rather pointless. Why are the writers constantly hacking their way through strong, female characters? Elle, Tracy and Daphne - three characters that could have developed further into something possibly series saving. Tracy is the biggest waste. Her character could have been taken in so many ways and if she really is dead - this is a mistake. ANOTHER DEAD CLONE? oh my god please. If the barbara rumours are true how good would it have been to put the characters together? A clone has not met another yet. And Elle dying in such a limp way. my god. Nathan, Mohinder and even at times Sylar. COME ON! How much more do they have to offer? there is no change! They are so boring at times my eyes water. The writers need to take stock. As I said - I am a massive fan but even I am tuning off if this continues.
  • Small but Big events

I've always thought that not having every character in every episode would get confusing and certain connections not made or even lost, but Hereos manages extremely well. I was amazed but this week's revelation that our littlest hero Micah is actually "Rebel". I was also intrigued that this week's focus seemed to be on the small battles verses blowing things up or creating a bloody mess. Ando and Hiro as always were great comic relief especially when a baby is thrown into the mix. But this week's loss of Daphne was a surprise. However, with the reappearance of Matt's ex and his son could make things interesting with the added bonus that "little Matt" has a power.
  • Micah is REEBEL !!! and Dafni and Tracy are dead!!!

Lots and lots of events happened, and now we see more and more heroes being killed.
    the most important things that Micah seems to be Reebel, how crazy is that i was really shocked but it really made sense that he control electricity and stuff.
    and Yattaaa finally Hero got half of his ability back hahaha that was funny, though i was sad for the death of Tracy and Dafni!! how come they kill Tracy, i mean like Dafni we knew that she was already dead why bringing her back and then kill her!!! that was stupid.
    i liked the scene when Tracy freed everything, the effects was amazing!!
    but in the beginning of the episode i thought like Scyler wil have a little talk with umm I forgot his name, but he didnt!!! i mean whats the point?? maby we'll know later.
    but i felt how Angela end up as a fugitive, poor her.
  • I am actually happy with the show again :)

I was actually impressed with Cold Snap, finally we get to see the heroes USE their powers. I was so tired of them just running or whimpering away that I was wondering why the show was called heroes to begin with....

I for one have never been into the whole we need to understand their motivation kinda guy. I like when a storyline keeps moving and forces a character to move forward constantly. So the whole Matt & Daphne fiasco (for me) has been pretty corny. I can't really put my finger on it so i think it's a combination of the actors, dialog, or portrayal - i'm just not sold that there was anything romantically whatsoever between those characters. So for me while Matt's been running around screaming for Daphne, i was sitting there thinking "Get it over with, let him find her so we dont' have to hear it anymore!" I was mostly hoping that Brea Grant's character would just leave Matt, honestly I do, I really loved having her on the show. I just hated the whole cringe worthy relationship

My positives, and I finally mean positives are - I absolutely loved that powers are finally coming into play. We're no longer seeing dramatic closeups cut scenes with the dramatic little song playing in the background(just like we do in a soap opera). Case in point, with Ali Larters character, she actually does something other than just run, stop and get caught. She takes people out including herself - however i did see the tear roll down her eye after her ice form was blow to bits, so I already know she's going to put herself together like the T2 and start using Iceman's ability to turn herself into ice form...

I don't think anybody was surprised to see that Rebel was indeed Micah. But it was great to see him back in full force "doing" things. It's sad when the grownups who should lead are being led by the kids in a show, that's how you know that you need new writers and I for one have to say thank gawd Bryan Fuller is now heading the pack :)
  • This is the strongest episode of the season.

The identity of "Rebel" is revealed. Noah wants Danko to let Tracy go in the hope that she will lead them to Rebel. Hiro and Ando continue with the mission that Rebel entrusted to them, to keep the new hero safe. Wow, wow, wow this is what we want to see, now I have to say for a show called Heroes the show doesnt really have people getting saved but this last few episode s there has been lots of saving, I like that for exampple in this episode we see Tracy save Micah by freezing the room full of agents this was a awesome scene it was very, very cool. Lots of great things happened here, Matt gave Daphne one final goodbye it was sad. Hiro acctually did someting fun to watch. Peter hasn't been around much during the next couple of episodes but he saves his mum. the whole episode was a joy to watch. 10 out of 10.
  • Tracy escapes with the help of Rebel, Angela is running from Danko's men but is saved by Peter, Matt and Mohinder rush Daphne to the hospital and Hiro and Ando save baby Matt Parkman from Danko's men. Our Heroes have their first two casualties.

The seventh chapter is one written by Bryan Fuller (the second of two episodes the other being Company Man of volume 1). The chapter focuses on Tracy Strauss.
    Continuing from the previous episode, Sylar was in Danko's appartment and leaves a little gift for him; the puppetmaster who is taken to Building 26. Danko offers Noah the chance to kill Doyle for what he has done to Claire and Sandra and in exchange Noah offers to bring him Rebel.
    Tracy manages to escape from Building 26 with Rebel's help and free Matt, Mohinder and near death Daphne as well. Seperated from the others, Tracy heads to a shop to buy clothes and is found by Noah. He in fact tells her that she was sloppy and that she will be found by Danko. She makes arrangements with Noah to give them Rebel in exchange for her freedom. After acquiring money and a train ticket by an ATM machine, Tracy heads to the nearest train station where she meets with Rebel; who turns out to be non other than Micah Sanders (I know Micah seemed to be the obvious person behind Rebel but it doesn't mean that it was the only one; there are many special people and the possibilities were many, just like Nathan couldn't be identified as the flying man). Tracy tells Micah that she is bait to capture him and Tracy not having any other solution sacrifices herself to save Micah. She freezes an entire parking place and with it many agents. Micah escapes and Danko kills Tracy.
    Matt and Mohinder arrive with Daphne at the hospital. Matt gives the doctors the details of his ex-wife instead of Daphne's. When Daphne wakes up, she tells Matt that what they had was not real; it was only the manifestation of Matt's spirit walk. Relunctant to believe they are meant to be together, Daphne puts on her clothes and runs off leaving a sadden Matt behind. In the end, Daphne dies from her injuries but before that Matt gives her the greatest ending she would have hoped for; a romantic fly around the Eiffel Tower. Of course, that is only happening in Daphne's head with Matt telepathy.
    Angela meets with Noah for the last time who tells him that they shouldn't meet anymore in risk that Danko might see them. Noah warns Angela that she will be hunted down now that Nathan is no longer within the operation and takes off. After running away from Danko's men, she meets up with an old friend of hers, Millie, who gives her money. Angela leaves but is soon found by Danko's men. Not having any other choice, she enters a hotel. There she is saved by Peter and taken to the Statue of Liberty.
  • Is Bryan Fuller a Godsend? Is his return to the Heroes writing staff the change that is needed to give the show a much-needed shove in the right direction?

Is Bryan Fuller a Godsend? Is his return to the Heroes writing staff the change that is needed to give the show a much-needed shove in the right direction? Well, judging by his first effort since Pushing Daisies, well, pushed the daisies, yes and no. 'Cold Snap' certainly sees a general upswing in quality: the script is solid, engaging and eventful and contains some of the most sparkling dialogue we've heard in aeons. There's an emphasis on character development here but not at the expense of the story, which is the problem that has plagued Heroes since Kring pressed the 'reset' button at the beginning of volume four. While fans have been crying out for a return to the halcyon days of the first season, it hasn't really been achieved... until now. Although this is not an exact return to form, it still shows promise. Tracey Strauss gets a satisfying character-arc-resolving death and it looks well cool. Rebel's identity is revealed and it's entirely logical. Hiro and Ando get an amusing side-story involving 'baby Matt Parkman' that's silly but rewarding because it advances things. Daphne's swan-song is unexpected and engaging, even if one does feel rather like the aforementioned 'reset' button is being pressed on characters far more frequently than it should. I mean, she renounces her entire relationship with the guy after professing her undying love like, three episodes ago. It's a bit much, a bit fast - one of the problems crippling Heroes is the juxtaposition between slow-moving action and ludicrously-paced allegiance/personality shifts - but as it seems to signify the end of this problematic storyline, I'm willing to overlook it. A good effort on the whole and hopefully a sign of things to come.
  • Not nearly as good as I thought it would be, but not bad either. Warning, spoilers ahead.

It's back after a 1 week break, and I am pretty excited about how the season has picked up. So we pick up with the Rebel story, and in this episode we finally find out who it is, and it doesn't surprise me to find out it's Micah. We find that Hiro and Ando were sent to protect Matt's baby, but when doing so are attacked by people who try and take the baby away. The strange thing is, when Hiro and Ando look like they are doomed to be captured, Hiro's power kicks in and he freezes time. It seems to be because of the baby, but how can a baby that makes things come to life bring back a power? Strange, and a bit weak, but I will buy it. So now Tracy dies this episode, which made sense, because she saved Micah in the process, and her character didn't really go anywhere. I was a bit saddened by the death of Daphne, she was interesting, but I guess she didn't really bring to much to the show, hopefully this time she stays dead. Overall this episode was not as good as I thought it would be, a bit of a letdown really, but not bad either.
  • Not alot of action, but it does move the story forward.

First of all, this episode was way too hyped up. The trailer was exciting but the episode wasn't (at least not as exciting as they made it to be).

Second, Rebel is Micah. Something I think every Heroes fan should have gathered ever since like the 3rd or 4th episode of "Fugitives". Who else could it have been really? So not a huge surprise for me, but still it is nice to have Micah back.

Tracy is gone and what a way to go. I liked the way she thought about the escape plan, but it was a bit too drastic just to let Micah escape, she didn't have to die... But I'm glad she did, her character was pointless after "Villains". Let's hope Micah has a rendezvous with the rest of Heroes...

Then there's Angela. We saw how much Nathan was really protecting her, because the agents seemed pretty determined to catch her. But it's Peter to the rescue in the elevator. Nice! What's with the statue of Liberty scene? it wasn't really important, it just shows that Peter is helping out his mom now.

Baby Parkman has a power! Now that is a nice twist. Although I find it odd that Hiro got his powers back by touching the baby. Couldn't the same have happened if Ando had touched him? Ah well, at least he has his powers back now (some of them at least)

All in all, I think this episode was kind of meant to set the scene for the rest of the season. Next episode looks great though, we get some Sylar-Danko action, which should be something to look forward to.
  • A very well written episode.

The begining of the episode "Cold Snap" was just as good as any "Heroes" episode. Through out the episode I was reminded why this show is one of my all time favorites. Bryan Fuller is an exccelent writer and I am personally glad that he has returned to the "Heroes" team. The later part of the episode was somethingyou would expect from the first season's glory days. The lose of character Daphine Millbrook was a sadding part of the episode. I belive that in the coming episodes that the series will improve over what can be called a temperary slump in the story.
  • Mr. Fuller returns

It's amazing what a powerful creative force can do for a writers' room. "Heroes" is often written by committee, with the credit going to whichever writer gives a script its final polish. The net effect is that an episode is based on a bullet-point list of gestalt ideas, and it comes down to the talent and inspiration of the writer to flesh that out into something worthwhile. Given what we've seen of the "inspiration" provided by Tim Kring and the previous showrunners and the endless repetition of plot elements, that room needed some new (or, in this case, old) blood.

I make this point because it seemed to me that this episode wasn't necessarily a dramatic move away from the storytelling conceits that were found in previous episodes. Obviously, it couldn't stray too far from what was established, but if one saw a summary of previous episodes and this episode side by side, it wouldn't look all that different. What was different, however, was the evolution from the breaking of the story to the final version. The tone was substantially different, and I believe that is what many fans have noticed and continue to laud.

For example, Daphne's death seems to be rather pointless, given the fact that the audience was already led to believe that Daphne was dead once and she actually dies of her earlier wound in this episode. The end effect (driving Parkman towards revenge) was already in place. Letting her live only serves the purpose of giving Matt and Daphne a moment of closure that was previously missing, thus exploring an aspect of Matt's power that hasn't been seen recently.

There's also the baby plot with Hiro and Ando. Now, using this plot to explore Hiro's psychological reaction to everything that happened in Volume Three was a nice touch, because they usually don't bother with that enough. But having Matt's baby somehow restore part of Hiro's ability? That's a real stretch.

Finally, there's the latest example of a character "dying" out of some semblance of sacrifice, despite the fact that she's obviously not dead. Tracy's trick of freezing herself and fooling Danko into thinking that he can shatter her to death was clever enough, but how many times has a character seemingly died, only to come back? (See Daphne's recent arc.) This happens all the time on "Heroes".

Normally these things would be irritating. In this case, they were given more depth by just the right spin on the material. There was a much better emphasis on the characters and how these situations were affecting them on a personal level. Daphne's fate was secondary to how Matt reacted to the knowledge of it, and how he ultimately helped her have one last magical moment. Hiro's interaction with the baby was mostly about his own sublimated emotions. Tracy's ruse was well-done, and her reasons were tied to her regret for betraying Micah.

Add to that the exploration of Angela's attempts to escape Danko's forces (which was focused mostly on her fear), and this was more devoted to motivations than the lion's share of the episodes this season. It's hard to know if this was Bryan Fuller's doing or if it was simply the synergistic effect of his return to the writers' room. But whatever it was, it was a huge step in the right direction.
  • Good episode but I didn't understand a couple of things.

Ohhh finally Daphne is dead. I mean how lame is her character and completely useless , now Matt is free that's good so he can concentrate in his powers.The final dream sequence was ok.I would have expected some panic in the hospital , I mean Matt just appeared in television with a bomb attached to his body anyway he controls everyones mind so that probably includes that as well. How stupid is Danko ? I mean let all the fugitives go just to find Rebel? That doesn't make much sense at all.How can Tracy possibly be alive ? I mean if she has water powers she could have escape through the sewers , but there is no way she could survive or so I hope because I don't like her character. I have to say , I didn't see it coming that Micah is Rebel til last week... because I read it in a user's review , which I " report abuse"him.I have to admit though it was pretty predictable. Ando and Hiro's appearance was boring until Hiro stopped time. Not my favourite episode but not that bad either
  • Big improvement.

I cannot stress it enough times: stay in character and stay well-scripted. Two key points to a show's success. Noticing Jeph Loeb's name on the titles entry was a good sign that the Heroes *would* be acting in character and more like their original selves even after this show has shifted so far off the map. And after two weeks of waiting, did if feel right? Hell yes. I withheld my hands to applaud for Bryan Fuller but now applause is well deserved. The first thing to do is move last episode's characters out so we can focus on other people. Which means Sylar, Nathan, and Claire take a backseat and I'm not complaining, as I am feeling Claire's stories have gotten wearisome lately. (Maybe the writers can improve her storylines too.) It's till eerie to know Danko could be working with Sylar, who doesn't appear at all and only drops off the Puppetmaster as a gift. The Hunter seems a bit edgy now but at least he trusts Noah Bennett, which tightens the strain and makes me wonder what'll happen when Sylar faces the Heroes again.

Hiro's concern for Baby Matt was touching and sweet while his comments to Ando had classic humor written into the script. It's good to see the character's emotions shine through as Hiro struggles not to cry over the remembrance of losing his mother. I give another check plus to the writers for *finally* restoring some of Hiro's abilities, if not all of them. Disarming the Heroes for too long drags down the story but now that Hiro and Ando both have powers, they could end up as partners and rivals. I'm hoping for the Dyanmic Duo to stay strong, though.

And Rebel…is indeed…Micah. He wasn't my first assumption of "Rebel" because I presumed Micah was still the cute little kid from season one who needed a mother's guidance to protect her son from danger. But Noah Gray-Cabey has matured in voice, size, and attitude to bring the kickass Machine Boy back for the better. Micah doesn't seem bitter as the loss of both parents, though. He's still book-read, intelligent, and determined to be a Hero by fighting back. And we're all damn proud of Tracy for choosing to help her nephew escape. Her cry of "Micah!" even resonates back to Nikki, which can lead us to believe people are not dead in spirit if we live their legacy through the right actions. Is Tracy gone? I doubt it.

That brings us to the end of this episode where Daphne dies in a sad but sweet and gentle ending. I was actually pleased how they handled it since introducing Matt Jr. and Janice would complicate Matt's relationships. Perhaps it is a suggestion for Matt to reunite with his family…or in "Five Years Gone" hinting how he might switch sides. But the writers know how to (forgive the expression) dispose of characters who serve their purpose. Another check. The last scenario of Peter and Angela atop the Statue of Liberty was a pleasant one and it's nice to know she can rely on Peter, who may not have Nathan's stability but certainly has heart. I've been annoyed at how incompetent the Heroes have been portrayed since the start of season three but now if they can't take direct attack to their adversaries, at least they can escape together and ally themselves properly. The tagline was "the greatest power is working together" so my expectations include characters in their elements and living up to the arc's theme.
  • Finally we get an episode of Heroes that actually Makes you care about what your watching

From the first few minutes, something sid that this episode was going to change things. Finally the writers behind the series are starting to do some cutting, realising things that are bogging the series down, and this seems to be a step towards a more focused sense of storytelling. First off, they have got rid of Daphne, which is a shame at the same time as being relieving, because her scenes in this episode with Matt, are the first scenes that her relationship seemed genuine. However, her death was something that was needed to be done. Many of the lines in this episode seemed to echo the viewers concerns over the last season, like the writers are telling us they know they have done wrong but they will do thier best to correct it. For example Ando states " does Matt even know he has a son " Seems the writers are admitting that they have made a mess, and are starting to clean up

This was also the first episode in a while where the characters powers have been used to actual effect: Matt and the others escape, Tracy helping rebel to escape, Hiro and time travel, ect ect.

One thing I would say is that I really do hope that tracy isnt dead, she was just starting to become an interesting character, with her morality and self conflict coming to light in her scenes with Micah. Personaly I didnt want them to kill of her original character from season one, but if she is dead, pleeeeease dont bring Ali Larter back ( nothing against her, she is a brilliant actress ) as another sister clone, or whatever. So it seems that Heroes is finally starting to right its wrongs and drive Fugitives to a satisfying conclusion. Lets pray next wek is another step forward, and not afew steps back.
  • The most poignant ending for the most perfect love story this show has ever done.

As Hiro & Ando deal with Matt Jr., Danko with Rebel's "gifts" and Angela manages to escape from the men that came to arrest her. The Ice Queen herself set the chain of events that leads to the most touching farewell a character on this show has ever had.

A much as I hate to see Daphne go, the way they did it was probably the most poignant and beautiful possible, as it had this nice symmetry between the first time Daphne died - when she uses her last breathe to run back home to die in Matt's arms - and this time aròund as he slips inside her mind so she could run back home to Paris once again only to die in his arms. The spirit walk that showed him a future they now will never share and the ability that allows her to spot a vision that now will never come true.

Their bittersweet goodbye reaches its peak as the audience realize this has happened during her agony, that the truth is Daphne is dying and all she had said thus far was to make this as easier for Matt as he was trying to make it for her but as frustrating as it was to never see the woman she was bound to become; Molly's stepmom, Hiro's nemesis, her father's daugtter and Matt's beloved all blend into one as Matt & Daphne fly to their happy ending even if it's only but a moment. And so they honor the lifetime that got reduced to a month, a marriage that only got to be a romance and how much they cared about one another with that one everylasting moment in time. Matt grieving for her with Mohinder by his side.
  • Great writing. Heroes at its best. We saw a special episode thanks Bryan Fuller. We finally know who rebel is along with some touchy moments.

Let me tell you I had been a bit dissapointed in Heroes since the second half of season 2. Killing Kensei so easily made me mad later on, since he had potential for background history of the Heroes family trees in the past and all that. And the huge mess they made on volume 3 villans oh my god, we didnt even know who had what alliegance, Nathan goin from prophet to crazy to bad guy was just silly and many other things I didnt like like too much Claire time. But this volume and this episode in particular gave me faith on the show once again. Superb writing, sound, acting overall entertaining. Loved it.

We continue to see our Heroes been hunted down but starting to group up again. I hope for this season to end well in terms of getting me hooked up on watching Heroes as I did once before.
  • Finally an old fashion well written episode. The show is restoring it's former glory.

I was pleasantry surprised by this episode. After a bunch of rather uninformative and grinding episodes, Cold Snap was a well written episode that would do volume 1 proud. Though, I was less then surprised about ''rebels'' identity. It was even sort of obvious. However, the return of this character is far from disappointing.

Two character died in this episode, both Daphne and Tracy met their fate. But there was one thing about the cold snap scene that bugged me. Even though it looked very spectacular, the way the scene ended raised some questions, or better said criticism. When Danko shot Tracy, you saw a shot of (half) her face shattered on the ground. Here she blinked and a tear drop ran down her frozen cheek.

It seems a very strange thing to end a scene with. And totally unrealistic.
    A> She was frozen, it would have been physically impossible to move her eye at all. B> The head was decapitated and shattered in half (including the brain). It would not be logical for the brain to sent any kind of signal to the facial muscles or recolonize any kind of emotion for that matter.

So either they did a real poor job on the ending of this scene. Or they're planning to bring Tracy back like a jig saw puzzle or something. Hey, it's still Heroes right?

Daphne's death was a little less obvious, they made you to believe trough the entire episode that she was back on her feet. But nearing the end, it got obvious after Matt took flight that her miraculous recovery was nothing but an illusion created by Matt. After an romantic goodbye, Daphne flat lined and passed away. Which I don't really mind, since Daphne wasn't a hateful character, but not very compelling either.

Angela however had a more exciting role in this episode, on the run from Danko and his crew, se was later saved by Peter after she got chased by one of Danko's crews. And it seems like Peter and Angela teamed up. So I expect to see a more active Peter, since he's now with Angela who always been one of the master minds behind every big secret in the series. I'm still not sure what Noah's role is in all of this. His goals are never full out there, and remains to be a complicated and mysterious character.

What Sylar's intentions are with Danko aren't clear to me yet either (The Puppet Master was obviously a present from him). I suppose it's for yet another sinister scheme for which Sylar is known for.

Conclusion:

It is pretty obvious to me that the writers are trying to set the series straight. Characters who don't serve important roles die, and powers are returned to the characters that do matter. It is only a matter of time before Heroes is restored into it's former glory.
  • A fantastic back to basics episode that tops the previously best episode of the season: Our Father

Everything about this episode was cleverly plotted, well executed and at times hilariously heartbreaking. I didnt even have to ask who breathed new life into Heroes as I knew the episode number...(I heard a certain someone would be back writing by this episode). Anyway, Heroes became something you could get excited over again. The strories were consistently entertaining which this season has obviously been lacking. And the noble 'death' of Tracy was visually sensational as well as a pivotal plot line. And the sometimes unconvincing, annoying storyline of Daphne/Matt came to a beautifully written close which, even if you didnt like them together was rather sweet. Btw, Gwen Stefani? Lol. Rebel's identity is finally revealed and Hiro's power is back, well sort of. Will Heroes keep it up? Well, the finale was really good but the episodes in between kind of fall flat in comparison. What have we learnt? Tracy has one helluva cold snap!
  • Rebel, Rebel. Not just the character but Bryan Fuller the writer as well.

This show, although relatively better this volume, has kind of wallowed in mediocrity since volume 2 and been written badly since the start of volume 3. Yeah there has been some good episode's here and there but mainly it became character's motivations led by plot. Bryan Fuller is therefore a Rebel who restores faith in the audience that the characters can drive plot as well. He also mostly leaves out the big 3 of Claire, Peter and Sylar (well Peter appears at the end, Sylar's prescence is felt with the delivery of The Puppetmaster). In fact, Nathan doesn't appear either. What's more important though is that with this episode Bryan Fuller has the guts to kill off, redeem and re-introduce characters and their powers. He starts to streamline and incapacitate, or in one case, give a character an ending that is more than, 'shot in the shoulder, who cares'. When Daphne was supposedly killed in chapter 2 for a few eps she was mostly forgotten. Not till now do we see her again, and as she lies in a hospital bed, Matt's storybook ending for her was touching and charming. Her character could have been so much more but was wasted when she became Parkman's unlikely girlfriend. The writing is good enough to acknowledge that, as a couple, they made no sense but still gives us a glimpse of the way their relationship should have evolved, in the first place.

So onto Rebel which was obvious from the start. This was set up very similar to the Linderman/Maury Parkman mystery from last volume but not as successful in tricking the audience. It was Micah by the way and even though Tracey was surprised it felt too underwhelming for me. The main surprise came from how much the actor looks different because he's grown up a little. This story was mainly Tracey's anyway, a way for her to redeem herself. Her shop lifting felt novel and (like Matt) the sudden increase in power felt right and long overdue. She sacrifices herself for Micah and shatters with a little help from Danko. Whether she is dead or able to do a T-1000 isn't entirely clear though. It was the scene itself that was able to look cool as well as serve a purpose that made it work.

So third and 4th strands. With the death of Daphne we are re-introduced to Matt's wife who when last seen was pregnant. Well she's had the kid now and it's up to Hiro and Ando to save it from Danko's men. Along with better comic-relief we get some actual character moments as well. Hiro reveals to Ando he saw his mother die when he was stuck in the past. You sort of feel this should have happened already but gives the character added warmth and gravitas that he hasn't had since that episode. The fans will also be happy as well because baby touch and go reboots Hiro's freeze power. No teleporting though as that makes time travel possible and we don't need that after so many problems its caused with plotting on the show. Add to that Ando's power increase and more progression emerges.

The last strand is fugitive Angela Petrelli which lives up to the name of the Volume. Her little talk with friend Millie reminded us that the character has flaws. We are nicely reminded of her shoplifting after Arthur's death and that made me feel for the first time in a while that this was a 3d character and not a 2d villain.

So a good episode, one thing though is that it serves amongst everything to propel the plot, resolve loose ends and get rid of or push to the side unnecessary characters. Also, 3 character's in particular had a sudden upgrade to there powers in this episode out of nowhere. If Bryan Fuller had been around earlier then at least this could have been hinted more frequently. Basically this episode, although a return to form, was let down by having to resolve and move forward some of the mess that had been created beforehand. With it we at least can have a more clean slate and his next episode can be an absolutely amazing one.
  • Oh what an improvement!

This was a much better episode of Heroes than we've had for a while and it's probably no coincidence that the writer of the episode is Bryan Fuller who we all know is a great writer. It was nice seeing Swoozie Kurtz in this and having her and Bryan Fuller working together again now that ABC has cancelled Pushing Daisies. Tracy died during this but I was not surprised to see her go, the character just never really worked here. Micah's comeback was great to see, though. I did miss Sylar here. Good to see Heroes is finally returning towards the things that made it so good in the past.
  • THats it people, take it or leave it, no one i mean no one can hate this episode :D

kk dunno were to start, this is the first heroes episode, yes i mean the first, that was absolutely exciting without having scenes of both sylar and peter( peter had a scene or 2, but u know, not driven with), cause both are the best in the series. wen i started the episode, thought it would be all about sylar, and that its gonna b gr8, but the fact is that the episode was supreme gr8, but without sylar??? or even peter?? or nathan!!!! this show is changing....FOR GOOD. I liked most episodes of volume 3 and 4, but the ones that i hated weren't about important characters, but this episode, rly different....From this moment, heroes fans should stop worrying about critics anymore, "was this episode cool, did people like it", hehe not anymore people....HEROES IS BACk BIg time!!!!!!

and still, if u think about it, y did they do this episode without sylar or peter??? its because the next episode gonaa b about them!!!!!!!!cant wait for next week, welcome back heroes :D
  • Tracy might not be dead

Although it appears Tracy is dead, did no one notice her BLINK after she was shattered on the floor?

Since this is heroes and all, she may not be dead after all and it could be she knew exactly what she was doing when she froze herself.

I wouldn't be surprised if the writers have evolved her power to the point where she can continue to live in ice / water form and may even do a terminator and rejoin herself.

Sounds absurd i know, but this is heroes we are talking about so i wouldn't count it out.

I just found it coincidental that her dead body was conveniently over an open drain (i could be reading too much into that but only time will tell)

I personally wouldn't pay for special effects to make her blink after she had been shattered unless i was either a) stupid or b) wanting to reveal something.

Just my thoughts, i could be completely wrong of course.

By the way, one of the best episodes ever by far, Brian Fuller is an excellent writer, i hope they keep him till the end of time!

Also, is it just me or does anyone else find it annoying that people can vote for the score of the episode before it is even shown? This episode deserves at least a rating in the 9 mark and it has a crappy 8.4 because of people voting before it is shown.

This is a growing trend on the internet, even with games and it is absolutely stupid!
  • Absolutely amazing, definately a classic. I was still crying well after the show had ended.

As I was watching, I was mostly paying attention to Matt and Daphne (since the two of them are the biggest reason I've been tuning in. They are the cutest couple and Daphne has been a big favorite of mine since the first time she appeared). I was also focused on Tracy and Rebel, since I was pretty sure I'd figured out who Rebel was. So, then Rebel got Tracy out and she helped Suresh, Matt, and Daphne escape (or, really, Matt helped her escape). Then she went off to go find Rebel while Matt and Suresh rushed a dying Daphne to the hospital.

When we found that Rebel was Micah, I seriously jumped off my couch and yelled, "I was right!" much to my family's annoyance. Because that's what I'd been thinking for about two weeks now. I really liked how it was Micah, too. It adds a bit of a twist that this young kid is helping out so many people.

Meanwhile, Ando and Hiro were dealing with baby Matt, which I found very funny. And now it makes me wonder what will happen with the baby and his father, now that we have found that both Matt and his young son have an ability...

And then later, when Daphne woke up in the hospital and left Matt, I was surprised and distraught. I really wanted them to get together.

And then Matt went to Daphne in Paris, and we found out that Matt was really just in her head, trying to give her a fairytale ending. While they floated around the Eiffel Tower, I was just sighing happily and mumbling about how beautiful it was and how much I loved it. And when she said, "Fly me to the moon," I was became fully and completely in love with this episode, even though she was dying.

And then, when it came back to the hospital and showed the heart monitor going in a straight line, I started crying. And I didn't stop crying for a long time.

Even though Daphne was my favorite character, and I was absolutely devastated that she died and would never become all that she was supposed to be, this was truly one of the best episodes ever.
< 1 2