Heroes

Dual

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Dec 15, 2008 on NBC

• Finally, the last episode of the season, and I couldn't be more psyched for it.

Finally, the last episode of the season, and I couldn't be more psyched for it. Warning, spoilers contained below.

So we get a little bit of a different start this time around as Sylar does the opening monologue, nice touch I thought, given the current circumstances and it being the final episode of the season. Early on we see Sylar taking on an almost Saw like role, trapping Claire, Noah, Meredith and Angela so as to play with them and make them monster's like they made him. One thing for sure about this episode, the writers made it pretty intense. Sure the Saw like connection might have been a bit of a rip off, but it worked very well with the story line, and it was very interesting to watch. So it seems Ando has some sort of super charging power, which he can use to make others powers stronger. I thought volume three ended brilliantly, still left some characters in play, but at least some were killed off. Now we just have to hope they are gone for good, so we can move on and see how things continue in the next chapter. In the peak at the volume to come, we see that Peter's choice to save Nathan was a bad idea, as Nathan plans to round up all the people with powers and lock them away. How I wonder though, as how can normal people lock up such powerful beings? Well, I guess we will find out, and I can't wait.
  • slightly disappointed

Despite resolving the storylines and setting one for the next volume, "Dual" didn't feel as fleshed out an episode as it should have been. Like almost the whole season, it was very plot driven and it felt rushed, which is no surprise. If people complained at that for the entire volume, it's the same here. For those who didn't, they will like it. The episode pretty much sums up the feeling of the entire volume, so pick a side. The episode begins where it ended. Arthur Petrelli is dead. Many still question the fact that he was shot in the front of the head and not in the back and that he should have regenerated. But I didn't care. The volume baddy is dead. Thats it. Robert Forster did a great job with the character and, despite his sometimes vague dialogue, I will miss him. Ando injecting the formula in an effort to save Hiro was a huge step for the character, so it was too bad the whole thing was sort of treated as the comic relief of the episode. Elsewhere, the episode lacked any emotional reaction. Sylar gets a shard of glass in the sweet spot in the back of his head, but you can't invest yourself in the character being dead. Even minor character Meredith could have survived the huge fire she started. The series has established that there's always a way out of any given predicament. If anything makes this episode worthy of being a Volume finale, it's the hint of what's to come in Volume Four. And it's not necessarily the fact that the heroes are now going to be hunted -- or that Worf is president -- it's that things can start anew. All the problems people have had with the first half of season three could all be forgotten with an incredible, mind-blowing second half. Can it be done? We'll have to wait until February to see.
  • One of the worst finales ever !!! Neither acting nor script nor storyline made any sense at all.

4.5

I was extremely disappointed with this episode, it was as if I was watching a kids cartoon superhero episode.

Pity I'm rapidly losing interest in a show that makes me ask more stupid questions than intriguing ones.

A few of this episode's questions would be:

- Couldn't the mother leave the Company's building (outside to the open) before blowing it up? Well Angela who's 30 years older did !!
    - Couldn't freaky Seresh fight back?
    - Couldn't Nathan Fly out of the fire?

In my opinion, Episode 1 of chapter 4 will either make it or break it for this show.... fingers crossed.
  • There was a moment towards the end of "Dual", where the writers could have laid the foundation to a more exciting future for this ailing show. Regrettably, and no doubt to its ultimate peril, they declined.

As Peter injected himself and flew Nathan from the burning Pinehearst, the point which Nathan has been striving to make towards the end of the last few episodes was vindicated. In the right hands, giving people powers CAN be used to do good and, as Nathan had said earlier, "don't we have an obligation to help the world?" The writers could have embraced this moral dilemma through this one scene, as Nathan yells at Pete "why'd you do it!" Sadly, however, Peter replied with a somewhat bemusing "because you're my brother", and therein any hope that the show might graduate from a teenage target audience evaporated. The writers seem content with their rather superficial vein of melodrama, and display little ambition of rising above it.

Despite what Mohinder may profess during his philosophical nonsensical narratives each week, the line between good and evil is actually pretty definitive in "Heroes". We are force-fed things in black and white, and no thought or consideration will ever be given us as to the fact these boundaries might cross. The majority of the characters in Heroes blindly go about their stories swept along wherever the plot might decide to take them, with little to no depth or thought afforded to their actions.

Nathan however, has tended to buck this trend, his character compassionate and more complex. It was my opinion that Nathan was the "Hero" of the show's first season; a frequently troubled and conflicted character, it was ultimately the good in him that took the decision to save New York. Amidst a third season where a profusion of cardboard characters have inexplicably changed sides from one episode to the next, Nathan has remained as one of its more thoughtful and interesting contributors. It would seem from the preview of volume 4, that he too has now been tossed on the scrap heap to serve as another plot device. Shame.
  • This episode was weird but somehow I enjoyed it... a little.

I have no idea what is going on in this show, nothing makes sense anymore, and to tell you the truth, I don't really care anymore. So, when I watched this episode, I watched it as a stand alone episode. 4 guys trapped in a building with a psychopath / serial killer and trying to survive.

Three funny / nice people are trying to find a friend.

And two brothers are acting really really strange.

Jeph Loab writes comics for a living and he is trying to combine here too many elements from the Comics World till it got out of his control. The problem is... it seems that he does not care.

Last words: I have no idea, after watching this season, what was the point here.
  • Season Three hits the halfway point

After a somewhat promising start to the third season, the midway point has been reach and it now competes with season two for the worst season of all time. The characters are overacting their roles and the show has no direction. This portion was supposed to be about bad guys. How about a couple of flashbacks showing the bad guys struggle with their powers? Or what happened when they first got them. We never really learned anything about any of the characters. The finale was split up into multiple parts. The part with Pinehearst and Nathan and Peter was kind of boring and all it was was Peter destroying the lab. The part with HRG, Claire, and Company inside level five was just random. Sylar locks them in and tells them that they cannot go anywhere. It looks like he could seriously dead this time, stabbed in the back of the head and burned to death in the building. The final scene was interesting at least. Nathan wanted to give the world powers and now he wants to take them all away. It's a powerful character switch in just a couple of weeks but maybe we will see what brought about this change in Nathan. Season 3.5 + looks to be better, but so did the beginning of this season.
  • Peter seeks to destroy the formula while Nathan tries to protect it; Sylar plays a deadly game of cat and mouse with Noah, Claire, Angela and Meredith at Primatech; Daphne, Matt and Ando attempt to rescue Hiro from the past, and Ando receives an ability.

The writers have decided to give the people what they want - lots and lots of Sylar. In his storyline the tension takes off from the beginning and does not let up. Zachary Quinto's return to good old evil Sylar began last week with some great scenes, but in this episode he is all the way back and badder than ever. The comedy trio of Matt, Daphne and Ando are spot on once again and it will be nice to see more of them in the next volume. The battle at Pineheart was action packed - don't blink or you might miss somebody getting smoked. Nathan embracing the dark side is a nice change and made his character more interesting. The volume was wrapped up very nice and neat, and was very pleasing to this viewer. And omigosh, Fugitives is looking very dark and very good. That month and a half seems like an eternity.
  • This is it, ladies and gentlemen... The chance for this show to redeem itself after it has fallen off the wagon of bad scripts and plots.

And so, it did; this season finale truly knows how to wrap things up. In this episode, Sylar being the evil genius like Jigsaw from the Saw movies, had his short moments of glorified villainy. Excessive characters finally died and/or suffered a humiliating moment. Knox (the black guy who gets stronger when people are scared) frozen to death by another unnecessary character, Tracy (who look like Nikki/Jessica/Gina/Barbara). Next thing you know, her plans not only got ruined by Daphne and Hiro, she also got punched in the face! (A moment when Tracy-haters rejoiced) Who could possibly forget about Nathan and Peter, the 2 brothers who always clashed with their own beliefs and other sibling rivalry crap. Finally, the roles of our lovable Japanese duo Hiro and Ando has taken a good ol' switch-a-roo; When Hiro lost his powers in the past, Ando gained a unique ability!
  • Peter finally gets his powers back!!!!! Also The title fits the episode. A very action packed episode with brother against brother, ,Mohinder, Hiro, and Sylar against Claire and her. Ando gets his power!!!

This was a really good touch to the end of volume 3!!!! I think that the fact that most problems that were solved was a great thing. Ando got his power , and it is indeed very cool , there is no more formula , Peter has a power , Angela is Sylar's momma and Arthur is really dead. I personally thought this was one of really great episodes in Heroes history so far. We saw a sneak at Volume 4 , and may I say **** OMG , is this really happening to our Heroes? How can Nathan go against his own ? This is definetely turning to the future we saw in season 1 episode 20 " Five Years Gone" Dual was a very thrilled up epiode and one of my new favorites , and also one of the best!!!!!!
  • a suspenseful midseason finale

It's here. The midseason finale. It's been a bumpy half season, full of highs and lows, the best so far being Our Father and the worst being The Eclipse Part Two, where the crew resorted to story cannibalism in order to survive. Criticism for this season has been Heroes' highest. The staff of Heroes has taken notice of all these criticisms and have decided to revise next volume. I hope it's worth it. I did like this episode although it didn't feel quite complete as a season finale. Since this midseason was treated as a full season, that would have been the method to go. Instead, it just ends up feeling somehow anticlimatic, and a lot of times it feels like the Heroes staff has blown through the rest of this midseason and decided to write it off. That's not to say it isn't still exciting and it is a major improvement from the Season Two finale. The episode opens with Peter standing over Arthur's dead body. Nathan walks in and sees the damage. Peter tells him what's happened and it's time to end the formula. Nathan refuses, he believes the formula can do good, that his work is noble. If Peter has a problem with that, he can kill Nathan. Now that Arthur is dead, Nathan seems willing to fill his place. He's totally committed to seeing the vision of "goodness" fulfilled. Now Peter and Claire are the only sane people left in the Petrelli family. Peter doesn't kill Nathan, he loves Nathan too much, but he's willing to knock Nathan out. It's time to finish it. He storms into the lab where Mohinder is and starts to destroy the formula. Mohinder protests but Peter is joined by villains Knox and Flint, willing to help Peter because once everyone has powers, they won't be special anymore. Hey, a villain helping a hero can be a good ally. Claire, Angela, Noah, and Meredith try to get to Pinehearst to help Peter but are stuck in Primatech due to Sylar. Sylar is fully-charged and fully embracing being back to a villain. No more self-doubt, he knows what he is and he doesn't care anymore. No holding back. It's time for revenge on those who wronged him: Angela, the woman who tricked him into believing she was his mother and Noah, Sylar's nemesis that helped make Sylar into a monster. Nemesis Claire and her biological mother Meredith are not exempt. Sylar's method of revenge can be comparable to The Joker in The Dark Knight, in a much smaller, Heroesish way of course: show these heroes that they have a button to push, prove to them that they are evil like him. Noah is willing to sacrifice a few villains to get Sylar weakened. Claire is tasked to choose between grandmother Angela or adoptive father Noah. Kill Angela or Noah will die. Claire opts for a third option: in a semi-dramatic move, shooting the phone and letting Angela and Noah live. Angela is perfectly cool in the situation, she thinks she still has enough control to get under Sylar's skin. Ando, Daphne, and Matt look for a way to save Hiro in the past. Daphne swipes the formula from Mohinder, who's still trying to cure himself, and Ando injects it into him. He has a power now. Of course, his power turns out to be the red lightning shown in the future. Not to worry, for Ando's ability has the useful gift of supercharging heroic abilities. In the case of Matt, it extends his mindreading. With Daphne, she can go fast enough to bend time. Time to retrieve Hiro. In the past, Hiro uses his past self to get to the formula and confronted by his creeped father, he tears the formula in half, right when Daphne saves him, which is how the formula was split up in the first place. Hiro comes to the present to a happy Ando and Hiro is shocked to learn Ando is a hero now. He still needs to get the formula, so he and Daphne rush to retrieve it from Pinehearst. Peter is causing some major damage with the formula and Mohinder is trying to goad Peter to stop, saying that he's joining with villains, how could he? Hypocrite. Knox binds Nathan and kills Scott but Knox is froze-cut by Tracey. She's out for self-interest but her involvement with Nathan ends. Nathan fires her. Tracey tries to steal the formula but Hiro and Daphne intervene. For the second time, Hiro is called Pikachu. Funny. Both stop Tracey and take the formula. Hiro tears it up. It's gone. Flint, going rogue, wants to kill Mohinder but Peter won't let him. Flint sets the lab on fire while Mohinder gets a dose of the formula, curing him. Nathan walks in to try to kill Peter but he's stopped by the explosion. Still caring for his brother, Peter decides to inject himself with the formula and flies Nathan out of the explosion. If Peter has his original ability back or just flight, it's hard to say. Sadly, it's probably the latter. Nathan blows through Peter's heroics, Peter stopped a good thing from happening in Nathan's view. He's now the enemy. He flies away. Peter will regret saving him. At Primatech, Sylar uppes the game. After wasting Doyle and other villains, he injects Meredith with adreniline and traps her and Noah in a room where Meredith can't control her flames. Claire looks to save Noah and her and is successful in holding back their deaths. She and Noah walk away to find Angela, promising her mother she will come back for her. Angela is trapped by Sylar, looking for some revenge and some answers. Angela finally admits that she used Sylar and she didn't have his interests at heart. Of course not. She's not his mother. Hoping to stop Sylar from killing her, Angela reveals she knows who his real parents are. Sylar still wants to kill her. He's "killed" by Claire, stabbing glass in the back of his head. Like he's going to stay dead. In the meantime, Claire is moving away from her innocence. She goes back to save Meredith but it's too late. Meredith can't hold back her powers anymore. The building's going to blow. She tells Claire to get out. The building explodes, Claire, Noah, and Angela looking. Poor Claire. Her real mother's dead and her real father's gone evil. Mohinder escapes the Pinehearst explosion and walks away with a rogue Tracey. Nathan, he makes a final betrayal that cements him as the next villain. He betrays all the heroes. Why? If he can't select who heroes are anymore, he can eliminate all the heroes against him and the superpowered villains. Win, win. The world will be safe without the superpowered "freaks". He uses his senator position to inform the President, ironically in of current events is African-American, of current hero wherabouts. The heroes are to be hunted down and experimented on. Now that the formula future is gone, the first season future becomes a reality. Uh-oh. Even though the finale didn't feel extremely complete and a bit rushed, it brillantly sets up the next volume. The heroes face new issues. In a X-Men-ish scenario, they will be branded as freaks, traitors and threats, be exposed to the normal world as such, become isolated and abused. There are very few actual human main characters anymore with Ando and Mohinder aquiring powers. Hiro and Ando are still friends but there will be tensions with Ando's new powers and there's no guarentee Ando won't be corrupted. Will Hiro get a power again? Claire will move away from her more-innocent self. Peter is now the only normal person in the relative Petrellis and I think he will have to face, even kill Nathan. And the heroes will have to band together if they are to survive this hunt. Heavy stuff. Hopefully, Season Three Part Two will deliver.
  • This was a great ending before the big break.

This was a great ending before the big break, but it wasn't quite what I had expected. I thought that there would be a big fight between nathan and pete, and I kinda wish there would have been. I liked the way it played out but I think it would have been cooler to have had a big fight. I love how sylar held everyone captive in the building it was a great idea for the story line. I think that hiro's bestfriend has a sucky power. I would have hated to get it if I was him. It fits his charater but it's just not that cool it's like he is always a sidekick.
  • wow....simply wow......(spoiler alert)

Heroes still amazes me from episode to episode, and this was really pure, showed us what heroes means, and what will it become. Everything in this episode was perfect, when i watched it, i didnt believe how it possibly finished so fast, its was fully packed with everything from suspense to action, and everything a show needs. Hopefully and im really sure that the next volume will be perfect, because making the main hero's brother the villain...thats really a great approach. And dont worry guys, sylar aint dead, he will never be unless he doesnt want to act in the show anymore:p. THE 2 main characters in this show to me are peter and sylar, they both represent good and evil, and the others are like companions lets say. I really also wish hiro gets his power back, it really suits him. Anyway the episode was really greatly written unbelievable how they wrapped everything up in one episode, it was really hard.... A great achievement really...
  • I tried to type out "Ando got his powers" and found that I couldn't do this without giggling maniacally. Huh.

I cheered. I laughed. I stopped breathing. And I finally did NOT scream at something stupid. Why? Because Heroes might FINALLY be BACK. Ando got his powers. Happiness like I have never known. A human battery is beyond awesome and so totally matches his character. I can't help but wonder what would happen if he used it on normal people. Probably would set their nervous system all out of whack and they'd die or something. It's so freaking cool.

We all know Sylar's not really dead, because Sylar cannot die. He is like Chuck Norris. Only, you know, not as invincible. It's great to see psycho Sylar. I've missed him so. I miss Elle, too.

AHAHA! Hiro is offically awesome for the Pikachu thing. I really have nothing else to say except the following: HRG, I love you no matter what, Claire... nice job. There, I said it. I'll miss Meredith, I will. Ha ha, Eric Doyle. Ha. Nathan, shut up, Peter, I kind of love you now, and finally, WHY is SURESH still ALIVE???

Til next year, everyone.
  • Action packed episode with so much in store.

Sylar locks down Claire, HRG, Meredith and Angela at the company seeking out revenge on Angela and for answers. Claire knows how to stop Sylar by hitting the spot in the brain to paralize him/shut him down.
    HRG lets out the inmates in a bid to lure Sylar. Sylar injects Meredith with Adrenaline causing her powers to go out of whach forcing HRG to take action which he doesn't. Sylar reaches Angela and gets the answers he was looking for that she's not his mother and that she thinks he is weak but knows where his birth parents are. He attempts to kill her but Claire saves the day.

Peter powerless uses his brain for once knocks Nathan out and gets Flint to help him destroy the formula. Knox is on Peter's side and holds Nathan hostage till the formula gets destroyed. Peter and Mohinder get into a fight but Flint saves Peter. Eventually Knox gets taken out by Tracy with Nathan telling her he fires Tracy from her job. Nathan goes on the rampage on Peter. Flint flames down the formula leaving Peter with no choice but to take the formula. He flies Nathan out of danger and the brothers part on bad terms with Nathan being a villain.

Ando injects himself with the forma and becomes the battery charger for Heroes with gifts. He with Daphne bring back Hiro frm the past while Hiro tries to destory the paper but ends in 2 halves.

Ends with Tacy leaving with Mohinder.

Over all full of everything but lacked emotion. Sylar at his best hope we get to see this evil side more often. Peter as always Rocked using his brains. Heres to the next volume.
  • It's a great volume finale!

I loved it! February seems so distant. I can't wait for the new volume to begin.
    So, we've seen Meredith, Knox, Flint and Sylar dying. Sylar is the only one who can still live but only if someone gets the glass out of his head (I wonder who that might be).
    Peter got his powers back! That's so great! Nathan has gone crazy. He told everything about them to the President. It seems like the volume 4 is going to be so great! They're going to be on a run, escaping the government. The Volume 4 preview seems interesting. We can see a bunch of soldiers (looking like S.W.A.T. team) who are capturing people with abilities.
    It's going to be so great, can't wait! :)
  • Very riveting.

It is quite obvious that Heroes is on an upward swing. The show is getting better and better. To see Nathan and Peter at odds with Nathan turning into his father. I feel Peter will have to stop him using whatever means possible so that the future will not happen. Clair has come along way since season one. She is no longer afraid to kill. She put a stop to Sylar, or did she. You can not keep a good villain down. When she witnessed her mother die, in my personal opinion this is what finally pushed her to do what she needed to do to stop Sylar. Now Aldo has power. Question is, will be a hero or become the Aldo of the future and kill Hiro. Imagine poor Hiro facing his father who naturally did not recognize him as his son from the future. Thinking he was a thief fought him with a sword to keep the formula. Just as his father was about to kill him, Daphne shows up and saves him.

Hiro, with help of Daphne destroy the formula and Nathan fires Tracy. I do not feel this will set too well with her. Knowing her she will plot some sort of revenge.

This episode was exciting without any boring scenes. This is exactly why I (along with many others) tune in to watch this show. There are so many twists and turns like when Sylar learns he was just being used by Angela. He could have a happy nobody, but Noah and Elle turned him into this. Who are his real parents? He died before he got a chance to find out. This is the best science friction drama I have seen in years.
  • wow...what an amazing end to this volume!

Dual is an amazing episode for many reasons such as for one, Sylar is back to being the sick and sadistic sadistic jerk that has made him who he is and one of the most intense characters of all time. Also, Peter finally sees how much of a power hungry dirtbag his brother truly is. Third, although i originally disliked the idea, Ando has a power now and he goes back in time with Daphne to save Hiro from the past. Heroes is an amazing show and i cant wait to see what we have in store for the heroes in volume four!
  • The Company goes out in a blaze of glory as Nathan finally turns against his own kind.

The most pivotal volume on Heroes myth arc distracts its audience with a formula, the level 5 villain's scape and an eclipse that allowed - among others - an epic Sylar/Elle love affair. However the very point Future!Peter shot Nathan to stop back at the volume's premiere takes shape in front of out eyes as Nathan himself starts the very government program to hunt people with abilities seen on "The Second Coming" and "I am become death", as riveting the episode was that we never saw the 5YG future was about to become a reality just as soon as Nathan would realize his formula-designed-army to control these people was an utopia. And so it begins volume 4, with both Primatech & Pinehearts burnt to the ground as their sole heir sells his kindred, kindred that weren't his to begin with and would've never been should Angela Petrelli never used the formula to give abilities to his eldest son: Nathan Petrelli has finally turned against his own kind.
  • Uhh...not so good.

4.5
    Usually Heroes gets good near the end of a volume...but not so much this time. I saw no climax here at all. Sure, the formula was destroyed, but that somehow didn't seem like such a big accomplishment to me. It didn't matter if Hiro destroyed it anyways, since the catalyst is gone now and no more of it can be made. And Sylar capturing Claire/Angela/HRG/Meredith? Where did that come from? Sylar is season one, what is he doing now other than being annoying? It was cool that he pitted his victims against each other though, and anything with Angela in it is automatically just awesome...so I guess that was the best part. It did make me scared too - Angela almost died multiple times. She is way too hardcore to die. I'd cry. The Hiro/Parkman/Ando/Daphne stuff was also really boring. Hiro messes things up more than he fixes anything, and his lameness is just too much to handle anymore. Parkman is boring like always, and Ando with a power (one he can't actually use himself haha) - I dunno about that.

The Pinehearst action was okay, but nothing too exciting. I really wanted Suresh to be dead finally, but this is Heroes so no one ever dies, or if they die they come back, so yeah he wasn't dead, darn. Nathan turning bad is sorta cool...but why didn't he fly out of the fire? Peter had to fly him out? Uhh no. That was dumb. I really can't keep waiting for the show to get better anymore...sorry Heroes, I'm breaking up with you. Goodbye.
  • A disappointing finale to this volume

This volume of "Heroes" has been proven divisive among the fans. Many have been dissatisfied with the direction taken by the series, both in terms of plot and character, while others have stridently defended each and every move. It's safe to say that the season has been relatively controversial, with some critics declaring the beginning of the end, especially after Tim Kring's recent tirade against the fans.

Sometimes the true value of a story cannot be measured until it is complete. Sometimes the writers only seem to stray from the path. And sometimes the conclusion is just as disappointing as the rest of the journey. Unfortunately, nothing in this finale is likely to change anyone's stance on the volume as a whole. Those who were disappointed so far will continue to be so, and those still faithful will continue to be pleased.

The finale has roughly the same qualities and drawbacks as the rest of the season. Taken on its own, it works very well and tells a satisfying story. The problems all emerge once one takes into account the rest of the season (and the rest of the series, for that matter). There are plot conveniences galore, particularly in the evolution/combination of abilities, and the writers seem convinced that the thematic underpinning of this volume was well-served. I'm not so sure.

After killing Arthur (who shouldn't have stayed dead, based on how the regenerative powers work), Sylar doesn't try to exploit the ready and waiting ability feeding frenzy at Pinehearst. Instead, he runs off to go play mind games with Angela, Noah, Claire, and Meredith. I can understand his desire to pay Angela back for messing with his mind, and one could argue that tossing Noah into the mix fits with their past history.

I can appreciate what was attempted. The notion that Sylar believed that he could push the more innocent Claire into cold-blooded murder demonstrated his warped sense of morality. Just by pushing Claire into a Hobson's choice, where no outcome is favorable, Sylar absolves her of any responsibility for what she must do to survive. After all, she can't sacrifice herself to avoid making the choice; she and Sylar both know that she'll just regenerate and the choice will still be forced upon her. When there are no alternatives, the responsibility falls to the one who set that stage.

Which, in effect, undercuts the general premise of the season: to expose the true hero or villain underneath the everyday mask each individual wears. This wasn't some situation that presented a natural outlet of villainous behavior; it was a constructed crucible that would have forced villainous behavior. Those are two very different things, and unless the writers were trying to expose the true mental stability of Sylar in the process, the writers dropped their own ball.

They were a bit better with Nathan, though I still believe that his conversion into villainy was unnecessarily muddled. Whatever happened to his religious experience and that set of motivations? That could have easily transformed into a desire to proliferate abilities for the "greater good", which then could have evolved into a desire to reboot the Company under the control of the government after this most recent failure. This is par for the course this season, however: unnecessarily convoluted character motivations.

The battle at Pinehearst also dropped in a number of plot conveniences. So Mohinder is cured of his affliction by accidental swallowing of the formula? Will he now develop an ability on top of that? And Peter injects himself, and just happens to get the ability to fly? (Or was it his old ability all over again?) The worst offense, however, had to be Ando's ability.

Ando's ability, in concert with Daphne's ability, made absolutely no sense. Nothing in Einstein's theory of relativity derives a theory of superluminal time travel. In fact, Einstein explicitly states that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light! It also strains credibility beyond the breaking point to think that Ando would get an ability, figure out how it works together with Daphne's ability, and then use it with enough precision to arrive just in time to save Hiro from a completely unnecessary death.

In short, the finale to "Villains" did little to redeem it, other than bringing this particularly disappointing chapter to a close and setting up something ostensibly better. Forcing the metahumans underground is a nice touch. It does set things up for another riff on one of the plot elements from "The 4400", but it all comes down to execution. If Kring was sincere in his desire to avoid the mistakes of the past, "Heroes" might bounce back.
  • Sylar holds a group hostage at Primatech. Nathan & Peter square off but it's not much of a fight. Peter joins two from level 5 to destroy the formula. Hiro and his buddies try to save the formula after he is able to survive his brush with Arthur.

5.5
    I just don't know, like some here I'm starting to lose faith in this show. Since I like the show as much as I do I'll give it this next season to revamp some things and get this show right. I read the recent TV Guide mag and I'm glad to see that Kring is talking about changing certain ways they've been doing the show but I'm still nervous over the final product come next year.

This particular episode was very "meh" and it didn't keep my interest at all. I don't know what happened to the "Heroes" of season 1 but it seems that things are sliding downhill.

As others have stated I really don't care for the idea of them keeping characters around like they do; in particular Sylar. Sylar was bad *** in Season 1 but when they chose to drag him to this present day that "badness" has dissapated and the whole back n forth good guy bad guy deal just didn't appeal to me.

I didn't care for how it seemed the show contradicted itself. You had a panzy Suresh getting it handed to him, a Nathan who couldn't think to fly for some reason, cliche lines from Clair that felt empty & forced. The Hiro deal has gone silly and Ando's new power are a dissapointment. I hate the way to kill off some characters (Knox) but keep other washed out characters stringing along forever.

Well I'll see what 2009 has to offer with the first few episodes and if it doesn't deliver then I'm done.
  • Oh dear, it's not getting any better...

I have to say that I never thought it possible to be so bored by people constantly saving the world, but I am, and I'm afraid that this episode did nothing to keep my interest.

Is it me, or have all the characters developed major bi-polar disorder this season? The writers need to look up the word 'consistency' and 'character development' in the tv writers bible.

And another thing - do these people ever talk or do anything other than save the world and avert major disasters from happening? Do they ever go down the shops, have a laugh (guys, get a sense of humor!) or do any normal stuff?

Anyone who thinks this is good TV really should get hold of some episodes of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' - they have plot, character development, humor, genuine emotion, seriously, check them out.

Why did I watch if I hated it so much? Well, last weeks episode was great, so I guess I was hoping for a miracle. All I got a craving for some normal dialogue and normal people!
  • Sylar vs HRG, Meredith, Claire, Angela, and more! Ando, Matt, and Daphne try to rescue Hiro before his own father cuts him down! Nathan and Peter chose their sides.

After a run around of a season, it finally began to pick up when The Eclipse began and this one finale was AMAZING! Sylar is back to doing what he always does, being the Villian, and terrorizing the Heroes. Trapping, murdering, and best of all, presenting some truly powerful moral dilemas for the characters trapped inside Primatech, Sylar shows his true colors in a very epic finale. Peter and Nathan's dilema culminates and shows them both who they really have become on the inside, two brothers now divided and living on the opposite sides of the picket fence. The fate of many characters hang in the balance, both their lives and their abilities, as we move closer and closer to the future that the Heroes have been trying to stop since Five Years Gone. This episode is the second greatest episode, IMO, to be put on screen, and gives Company Man a run for its money.
  • Hmm weird

Well, I was crazy to watch it, but it disappointed me as a finale.

First of all, I hated that Meredith died. Why the hell they do that? it is sad :(

Second of all, I want Hiro to have his power back, come one, whats the good thing if he doesnt? He is one of the main character, it sucks if he doesnt have it.

And Nathan becomes the villan? Oh come on, thats a bit pathetic.

I thought Sylar was suppose to be good now and all and he ended as a bad guy again.

I think the story was perfect, but it seemed to me as they finished it before they should.

I think they should have had more some episodes and then finish.

Come on, the way Arthur died was also pathetic. I thought it would be some fights and all.
  • Lines drawn in the sand.

This just gets more interesting and challenging. The big question is still who's right and who's wrong. Which side is the good side and on the right path. We see strength in several of our Heroes. Claire, Peter, Daphne and Matt. Ando makes a choice but is it the right one or will it cost him his life. Suresh, seems cured, but will it be permanent and at what price. Nathan and Peter are on opposite sides but are their motives in the right place. Tracy having her own adgenda begins a new recruitment phase. Sylar is a force to be reckoned with but is he the basis for decisions being made. It will be interesting to see how our Heroes and Villians continue to unravel.
  • Felt like everything ended too fast.

They took too long to build up the formula end of the world scenario just to rip it down so quickly. How can they brush off something they worked so hard to get us worried about. Nathan's change of opinion seemed unnatural. He was ready to build an empire on the formula and then almost immediately changes his mind.

What is up with the next season. We have seen this before. Nathan's plan is to do exactly what "the company" Primatech did by locking up heroes, except now it's the federal government.

Sylar's reign of evil was way too short lived. I hope he comes back but I can't believe he got ganked so early after he finally became badass again. I guess we'll find out next season.

Looking forward to volume 4 nonetheless. No matter how bad they mess up, I can't help but remain attached to these characters. It must be the awesomeness of season 1 still not out of my system.
  • did one gr8 thing!!!

i am happe dat dey gave peter peterelli his powers baq...he was lukin pathetic widout em...n sylar aka gabriel gray is baq 2 bein wha he is suits him alot...poor meredith dont care abou her......buh y da helll did nathan peterelli go bad...disappointed by this one..n plz get rid of mohinder suresh lol..oh one more thing hiro nakamora shud hav his powers baq....n da whole story is now shifting 2 da future in wich nathan peterelli is da president n sylar aka gabriel is workin 4 him....hopefully season 4 turns ou better dan dis one...season 1 n 2 were great.
  • Not what i expected.

They do this every season. Season 1 was good and the build up to the season finale was going great but the season finale was just boring. Season 2 was boring from the start except when Noah gets shot in the eye and the last 2 mins of the season finale. I was enjoying season 3 but they had to ruin the finale of villains again. I mean come on u get a good story going and u make the same mistake THRICE. The worst part was Mohinder healing himself without injecting the formula and the level 5 guys helping Peter. Meredith's death was not required and i dont know why but i always wanted Sylar to die at the hands of Peter after they have a good duel and not the way they showed it in the finale. I really supported Heroes this season but the finale really disappointed me. I really hope Fugitives is better.
  • Sylar goes Saw on Primatech .

It's was a good ending for this volume it had some mistakes but all in all it was a pretty exciting episode. First of all Arthur only use the catalyst on a small vial of the formula not in every one in the lab so Mohinder and Peter shouldn't be affected. Secondly , if Peter regained his powers he shoildn't have the scar in his cheek. I didn't like either that Knox and Flint suddenly started working for Peter and also that Ecko die without even saying a word when they did a Webisode mini series detailng his background. I like what Sylar did at Primatech it was exciting and it looked like a manhunt.It reminded me a lot to Saw I swear I thought he was gonna say :" Live or die Noah it's your choice" it was kind of creepy. Peter and Nathan are ready for a showdown and a big confrontation in " Fugitives". As far as Ando's power I think is kind of cool and know it kind of makes sense Ando attacking Hiro when he traveled to the future , maybe he was just trying to teleport him. I think this season achieved the sense of duality in the characters and showed us that in the Heroes world not everything is black and white but they kind of gave one step back according to character development, they need to focus on that in the next chapter.
  • This show really shined. Great gateway into Fugitives, and wrapped up most loose ends while still leaving enough question to leave us thirsty for more.

I thought this was an excellent episode. It completely reminded me of the first season. It left us with questions. How are Hiro and Ando going to exist now that Ando has powers and Hiro doesn't? Plus knowing the future of what happens to them. Is Meredith and Sylar really dead? What's going to happen with Mohinder? Lots of great twist endings. It was good to see evil Sylar back, and Claire and Noah working together again. Good to see Mohinder return to normal and Peter regain his powers. I thought it accomplished so much in a mere hour. Great show, looking forward to fugitives. Plus, I'm happy Michael Dorn is playing the president. Great casting.
< 1 2