Heroes

Dual

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Dec 15, 2008 on NBC

• Oh dear, it's not getting any better...

I have to say that I never thought it possible to be so bored by people constantly saving the world, but I am, and I'm afraid that this episode did nothing to keep my interest.

Is it me, or have all the characters developed major bi-polar disorder this season? The writers need to look up the word 'consistency' and 'character development' in the tv writers bible.

And another thing - do these people ever talk or do anything other than save the world and avert major disasters from happening? Do they ever go down the shops, have a laugh (guys, get a sense of humor!) or do any normal stuff?

Anyone who thinks this is good TV really should get hold of some episodes of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' - they have plot, character development, humor, genuine emotion, seriously, check them out.

Why did I watch if I hated it so much? Well, last weeks episode was great, so I guess I was hoping for a miracle. All I got a craving for some normal dialogue and normal people!
  • One of the worst finales ever !!! Neither acting nor script nor storyline made any sense at all.

4.5

I was extremely disappointed with this episode, it was as if I was watching a kids cartoon superhero episode.

Pity I'm rapidly losing interest in a show that makes me ask more stupid questions than intriguing ones.

A few of this episode's questions would be:

- Couldn't the mother leave the Company's building (outside to the open) before blowing it up? Well Angela who's 30 years older did !!
    - Couldn't freaky Seresh fight back?
    - Couldn't Nathan Fly out of the fire?

In my opinion, Episode 1 of chapter 4 will either make it or break it for this show.... fingers crossed.
  • Uhh...not so good.

4.5
    Usually Heroes gets good near the end of a volume...but not so much this time. I saw no climax here at all. Sure, the formula was destroyed, but that somehow didn't seem like such a big accomplishment to me. It didn't matter if Hiro destroyed it anyways, since the catalyst is gone now and no more of it can be made. And Sylar capturing Claire/Angela/HRG/Meredith? Where did that come from? Sylar is season one, what is he doing now other than being annoying? It was cool that he pitted his victims against each other though, and anything with Angela in it is automatically just awesome...so I guess that was the best part. It did make me scared too - Angela almost died multiple times. She is way too hardcore to die. I'd cry. The Hiro/Parkman/Ando/Daphne stuff was also really boring. Hiro messes things up more than he fixes anything, and his lameness is just too much to handle anymore. Parkman is boring like always, and Ando with a power (one he can't actually use himself haha) - I dunno about that.

The Pinehearst action was okay, but nothing too exciting. I really wanted Suresh to be dead finally, but this is Heroes so no one ever dies, or if they die they come back, so yeah he wasn't dead, darn. Nathan turning bad is sorta cool...but why didn't he fly out of the fire? Peter had to fly him out? Uhh no. That was dumb. I really can't keep waiting for the show to get better anymore...sorry Heroes, I'm breaking up with you. Goodbye.
  • Sylar holds a group hostage at Primatech. Nathan & Peter square off but it's not much of a fight. Peter joins two from level 5 to destroy the formula. Hiro and his buddies try to save the formula after he is able to survive his brush with Arthur.

5.5
    I just don't know, like some here I'm starting to lose faith in this show. Since I like the show as much as I do I'll give it this next season to revamp some things and get this show right. I read the recent TV Guide mag and I'm glad to see that Kring is talking about changing certain ways they've been doing the show but I'm still nervous over the final product come next year.

This particular episode was very "meh" and it didn't keep my interest at all. I don't know what happened to the "Heroes" of season 1 but it seems that things are sliding downhill.

As others have stated I really don't care for the idea of them keeping characters around like they do; in particular Sylar. Sylar was bad *** in Season 1 but when they chose to drag him to this present day that "badness" has dissapated and the whole back n forth good guy bad guy deal just didn't appeal to me.

I didn't care for how it seemed the show contradicted itself. You had a panzy Suresh getting it handed to him, a Nathan who couldn't think to fly for some reason, cliche lines from Clair that felt empty & forced. The Hiro deal has gone silly and Ando's new power are a dissapointment. I hate the way to kill off some characters (Knox) but keep other washed out characters stringing along forever.

Well I'll see what 2009 has to offer with the first few episodes and if it doesn't deliver then I'm done.
  • A disappointing finale to this volume

This volume of "Heroes" has been proven divisive among the fans. Many have been dissatisfied with the direction taken by the series, both in terms of plot and character, while others have stridently defended each and every move. It's safe to say that the season has been relatively controversial, with some critics declaring the beginning of the end, especially after Tim Kring's recent tirade against the fans.

Sometimes the true value of a story cannot be measured until it is complete. Sometimes the writers only seem to stray from the path. And sometimes the conclusion is just as disappointing as the rest of the journey. Unfortunately, nothing in this finale is likely to change anyone's stance on the volume as a whole. Those who were disappointed so far will continue to be so, and those still faithful will continue to be pleased.

The finale has roughly the same qualities and drawbacks as the rest of the season. Taken on its own, it works very well and tells a satisfying story. The problems all emerge once one takes into account the rest of the season (and the rest of the series, for that matter). There are plot conveniences galore, particularly in the evolution/combination of abilities, and the writers seem convinced that the thematic underpinning of this volume was well-served. I'm not so sure.

After killing Arthur (who shouldn't have stayed dead, based on how the regenerative powers work), Sylar doesn't try to exploit the ready and waiting ability feeding frenzy at Pinehearst. Instead, he runs off to go play mind games with Angela, Noah, Claire, and Meredith. I can understand his desire to pay Angela back for messing with his mind, and one could argue that tossing Noah into the mix fits with their past history.

I can appreciate what was attempted. The notion that Sylar believed that he could push the more innocent Claire into cold-blooded murder demonstrated his warped sense of morality. Just by pushing Claire into a Hobson's choice, where no outcome is favorable, Sylar absolves her of any responsibility for what she must do to survive. After all, she can't sacrifice herself to avoid making the choice; she and Sylar both know that she'll just regenerate and the choice will still be forced upon her. When there are no alternatives, the responsibility falls to the one who set that stage.

Which, in effect, undercuts the general premise of the season: to expose the true hero or villain underneath the everyday mask each individual wears. This wasn't some situation that presented a natural outlet of villainous behavior; it was a constructed crucible that would have forced villainous behavior. Those are two very different things, and unless the writers were trying to expose the true mental stability of Sylar in the process, the writers dropped their own ball.

They were a bit better with Nathan, though I still believe that his conversion into villainy was unnecessarily muddled. Whatever happened to his religious experience and that set of motivations? That could have easily transformed into a desire to proliferate abilities for the "greater good", which then could have evolved into a desire to reboot the Company under the control of the government after this most recent failure. This is par for the course this season, however: unnecessarily convoluted character motivations.

The battle at Pinehearst also dropped in a number of plot conveniences. So Mohinder is cured of his affliction by accidental swallowing of the formula? Will he now develop an ability on top of that? And Peter injects himself, and just happens to get the ability to fly? (Or was it his old ability all over again?) The worst offense, however, had to be Ando's ability.

Ando's ability, in concert with Daphne's ability, made absolutely no sense. Nothing in Einstein's theory of relativity derives a theory of superluminal time travel. In fact, Einstein explicitly states that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light! It also strains credibility beyond the breaking point to think that Ando would get an ability, figure out how it works together with Daphne's ability, and then use it with enough precision to arrive just in time to save Hiro from a completely unnecessary death.

In short, the finale to "Villains" did little to redeem it, other than bringing this particularly disappointing chapter to a close and setting up something ostensibly better. Forcing the metahumans underground is a nice touch. It does set things up for another riff on one of the plot elements from "The 4400", but it all comes down to execution. If Kring was sincere in his desire to avoid the mistakes of the past, "Heroes" might bounce back.
  • Not what i expected.

They do this every season. Season 1 was good and the build up to the season finale was going great but the season finale was just boring. Season 2 was boring from the start except when Noah gets shot in the eye and the last 2 mins of the season finale. I was enjoying season 3 but they had to ruin the finale of villains again. I mean come on u get a good story going and u make the same mistake THRICE. The worst part was Mohinder healing himself without injecting the formula and the level 5 guys helping Peter. Meredith's death was not required and i dont know why but i always wanted Sylar to die at the hands of Peter after they have a good duel and not the way they showed it in the finale. I really supported Heroes this season but the finale really disappointed me. I really hope Fugitives is better.
  • Good, not great. Expected, not surprising.

Trying hard to hang on...I loved this series from the beginning and still love the "idea" of this series and what it can be. But I am so disappointed in this season it is getting harder and harder to hope for a clever revival.
    This episode was good, I think as good as it could have been considering the muck that has come before it. They have a couple of months now to figure out where they went astray and maybe bring us some juicy stuff in February. I am afraid if they do not, it may mean the end, and I would hate for that to happen.
  • How on earth does someone manage to screw up such a great concept? This series truly was a waste of time

To be fair, this finale didn't really stand a chance with all that has gone on prior to it.

The series had gone so far off track that all this episdoe had time for was to fix the mess. And now the dust has settled we realise only one thing has changed - Nathan Petrelli is now a bad guy.

So why? Why on earth were we taken on such a wild goose chase? Why were Daphne, Flame guy, Fear guy, and everyone other new character in this series even introduced? Why did the writers even bother flirt with the idea of sylar turning good, peter going bad, spirit walks...? The key question i'm tryin to ask, as i'm sure you've guessed is - What was the point in this series? (Let's not forget the ridiculous way it started either)

Perhaps many of you won't agree but i believe there was potentially a decent plot hidden beneath all the mess this season:

1)The "badies" want to give everyone powers and begin to build up an army of more "baddies" to acheive this goal. It's easy to see why Sylar would have wanted in on this (more head slicing for him!)

2) On the other hand the "goodies" act as goodies do and try to prevent this via larges bang and flashed from there own palms.

3) Throw in a couple (Well thought out and well acted) subplots and voila!

There! Done! The simple "goodie's vs baddies" formula that has been around for years. But no. The writers had to go off on their own little tangent with all these daddy issues, eclipses and what not. Subplots which perhaps could have worked if the execution wasn't so desperately poor.

My Verdict: A series of huge potential ruined, firstly, by an over-crowded cast (Far too many characters to cover, many of them not needed). Secondly, by too many poorly written, disgracefully acted subplots.
  • There was a moment towards the end of "Dual", where the writers could have laid the foundation to a more exciting future for this ailing show. Regrettably, and no doubt to its ultimate peril, they declined.

As Peter injected himself and flew Nathan from the burning Pinehearst, the point which Nathan has been striving to make towards the end of the last few episodes was vindicated. In the right hands, giving people powers CAN be used to do good and, as Nathan had said earlier, "don't we have an obligation to help the world?" The writers could have embraced this moral dilemma through this one scene, as Nathan yells at Pete "why'd you do it!" Sadly, however, Peter replied with a somewhat bemusing "because you're my brother", and therein any hope that the show might graduate from a teenage target audience evaporated. The writers seem content with their rather superficial vein of melodrama, and display little ambition of rising above it.

Despite what Mohinder may profess during his philosophical nonsensical narratives each week, the line between good and evil is actually pretty definitive in "Heroes". We are force-fed things in black and white, and no thought or consideration will ever be given us as to the fact these boundaries might cross. The majority of the characters in Heroes blindly go about their stories swept along wherever the plot might decide to take them, with little to no depth or thought afforded to their actions.

Nathan however, has tended to buck this trend, his character compassionate and more complex. It was my opinion that Nathan was the "Hero" of the show's first season; a frequently troubled and conflicted character, it was ultimately the good in him that took the decision to save New York. Amidst a third season where a profusion of cardboard characters have inexplicably changed sides from one episode to the next, Nathan has remained as one of its more thoughtful and interesting contributors. It would seem from the preview of volume 4, that he too has now been tossed on the scrap heap to serve as another plot device. Shame.
  • This episode was weird but somehow I enjoyed it... a little.

I have no idea what is going on in this show, nothing makes sense anymore, and to tell you the truth, I don't really care anymore. So, when I watched this episode, I watched it as a stand alone episode. 4 guys trapped in a building with a psychopath / serial killer and trying to survive.

Three funny / nice people are trying to find a friend.

And two brothers are acting really really strange.

Jeph Loab writes comics for a living and he is trying to combine here too many elements from the Comics World till it got out of his control. The problem is... it seems that he does not care.

Last words: I have no idea, after watching this season, what was the point here.
  • Season Three hits the halfway point

After a somewhat promising start to the third season, the midway point has been reach and it now competes with season two for the worst season of all time. The characters are overacting their roles and the show has no direction. This portion was supposed to be about bad guys. How about a couple of flashbacks showing the bad guys struggle with their powers? Or what happened when they first got them. We never really learned anything about any of the characters. The finale was split up into multiple parts. The part with Pinehearst and Nathan and Peter was kind of boring and all it was was Peter destroying the lab. The part with HRG, Claire, and Company inside level five was just random. Sylar locks them in and tells them that they cannot go anywhere. It looks like he could seriously dead this time, stabbed in the back of the head and burned to death in the building. The final scene was interesting at least. Nathan wanted to give the world powers and now he wants to take them all away. It's a powerful character switch in just a couple of weeks but maybe we will see what brought about this change in Nathan. Season 3.5 + looks to be better, but so did the beginning of this season.
  • Hmm… don't know about you guys but 'Dual' left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

Hmm… don't know about you guys but 'Dual' left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Loeb's script suffers from the weight of fall finale expectation: the script attempts to tidy up too many narrative strands that have built over the course of the last thirteen episodes. Resultantly, certain aspects of the plot aren't given enough space to breathe and fall rather flat in their resolution: case in point, the retrieval of the formula which is as simple as 1-2-punch, lights out Tracey Strauss. Given the importance lent to this particular strand in the preceding episodes, it seems to deserve more than simply a thirty second quick-fire outcome. Ando and Daphne's rescue of Hiro also makes no scientific sense whatsoever, despite the script's attempts to make it do so (Einstein's theory relates to travelling forward in time, not backward). And then, of course, there's Nathan's volte-face, his complete and utter rejection of his beloved brother who, despite inexplicably turning a gun on him at the start of the episode, still demonstrates his love by injecting himself with that ruddy formula and saving his life. Again. Look, I'm all for the conflict; really, I am. It just needs many, many more episodes of build up, much more time to get to the stage of all out resentment that it currently sits at. It smacks far too much of a set-up: the movement of narrative pieces so that they are correctly positioned for the next wave of story. And, at episode's end, we find that it is exactly that: oh look, Nathan's only advocating a hero Holocaust… to the President, no less! What a cad! Okay, okay, I'll back down… I confess, Fugitives certainly does seem interesting and definitely shows promise. But meh… I just don't really like how we got there. Best part of 'Dual'? Sylar's delicious manipulation of the most dysfunctional family never to have set foot on The Jeremy Kyle Show. This is brilliantly suspenseful stuff, chillingly claustrophobic and full of cold, hardened malice, and harkens back to the wonderfully executed sequences between Sylar and Claire in the opening episode of the volume. I loved every eerie second (well, except for that bit about Sylar's parents being some other freaks… honestly, can't we have a bit of straightforward honesty in this show?) and it almost makes up for the somewhat lacklustre nature of the rest of the episode. Almost.
  • slightly disappointed

Despite resolving the storylines and setting one for the next volume, "Dual" didn't feel as fleshed out an episode as it should have been. Like almost the whole season, it was very plot driven and it felt rushed, which is no surprise. If people complained at that for the entire volume, it's the same here. For those who didn't, they will like it. The episode pretty much sums up the feeling of the entire volume, so pick a side. The episode begins where it ended. Arthur Petrelli is dead. Many still question the fact that he was shot in the front of the head and not in the back and that he should have regenerated. But I didn't care. The volume baddy is dead. Thats it. Robert Forster did a great job with the character and, despite his sometimes vague dialogue, I will miss him. Ando injecting the formula in an effort to save Hiro was a huge step for the character, so it was too bad the whole thing was sort of treated as the comic relief of the episode. Elsewhere, the episode lacked any emotional reaction. Sylar gets a shard of glass in the sweet spot in the back of his head, but you can't invest yourself in the character being dead. Even minor character Meredith could have survived the huge fire she started. The series has established that there's always a way out of any given predicament. If anything makes this episode worthy of being a Volume finale, it's the hint of what's to come in Volume Four. And it's not necessarily the fact that the heroes are now going to be hunted -- or that Worf is president -- it's that things can start anew. All the problems people have had with the first half of season three could all be forgotten with an incredible, mind-blowing second half. Can it be done? We'll have to wait until February to see.
  • End of Villians...

In this episode we see Sylar trapping Claire, Noah, Meredith and Angela inside Primatech which really never made much sense. Peter being joined by Flint and Dixon to destroy the formula and the lab was doing it to save the future; the others were doing it to remain special. Ando injecting the formula in an effort to save Hiro was a huge step for the character as he finally became the only character to get powers. We get a sneak peak into Volume 4 'Fugitives' where Nathan wants everyone with abilities captured... well the ones we were able to see.
  • Peter is forced to make a tough decision, Sylar decides to return to his old ways, and Ando tries something drastic to save Hiro.

I really liked this episode. We all knew that Peter was getting his abilities back, no matter how against the drug he was. Earlier in the season I had been expecting maybe some time traveling on Hiro's part to save Peter from his father, but that was obviously proven impossible. Now I'm wondering what will happen to Hiro. Hmm. Anyway, I didnt like Sylar turning back to "the dark side". I was hoping that he was Peter's brother and he would turn good, because i really like the whole brother dynamic in entertainment. And also, seriously? Did Sylar have to die like, two seconds before we found out who is real parents were? I was on the edge of my seat, excited to have it resolved, and then BAM, he dies. I had been hoping that Bennett would die in the whole dibacle. I mean that guy is a real jerk. But no such luck. He will survive to see another season.
  • heroes meets Saw who meets it's painful end..for the viewrs.

So it's over. Everybody is dead. Wussy peter has its powers back! yey! now he can save the world..or whatever he is doing. i'm not sure he has any idea either. nathan is the hard headed "illuminated" hero. finally he has seen the light. again! the misterious end with him in a limusine with mr. P left me a B-movie feeling. Everything is stealth and hidden. And of course, they killed the fun charachters. What can i say? Let's hope the next season won't be a boreee or else more people will quit watching and eventually it will be axed. bu hu... Oh and couldn't they .. throw some water on meredith or smth? WHATEVER!!
  • Love the creativeness of the finale but sometimes plot holes are there to create pain to us. I've written some plotholes down in the review.

There was once upon a time Heroes was very good.. now it is just for finding how many plotholes you can find in an episode..
    I for now will put three potholes in this episode

1. Ando and Daphne did time travel back because of their combined powers. But how the heck did they come back to the original time. Daphne couldnt have run slower than time itself to makeup to come to this time. This was really painful to watch.

2. We did see that when the Injection is put it almost takes a while to get the power to the injected person. Whereas peter gets it as soon as he injects it which is little unbelievable 3. We did see Nathan backing up Peter almost the entire series. All of a sudden he becomes really evil and almost wants to kill him.

But inspite of all these potholes it is still a new and creative show which is the reason i am still watching it and love it but painful at times.
  • One of the poorest...

Before I tuned in to watch this episode, the hype had really gripped me. However I was a little disappointed. For me, the volume finale's that preceded it were much better. In all honesty nothing really happened, a lot of story lines remained unanswered and the battle between Nathan and Peter was also very disappointing. Though there was good parts to the show also. I love Ando's power and there was a few plot twists that really helped the episode develop. Compared to the rest of the series this was a good episode but not the best. I expected a little more from the series finale.
  • Shades of Gray

Ando, Matt and Daphne make a great team. Funny how Daphne was Hiro's nemesis when things began this season. Anyway thanks to the formula, more on that later, Ando has got himself a power now. It happened easy, he learned how to use it with little difficulty and accomplished a lot with it. It can't be that simple can it? Ando amplifies ability, like a super charge essentially. He amplified Daphne's ability and they rescued Hiro from sixteen years ago and managed to get hold of the formula and destroy.

Peter took care of the rest, with a little help from Knox and Flynt, destroyed the batch Nathan and Arthur had cooked up at Primatech. But not before he unintentionally cured Mohinder and himself, though Mohinder is now with the ice queen Tracey who's as big a screw ball as Nathan. But Peter's back baby!!!! Yes! Though he was never really gone just his powers, he and Nathan are going to be more at war then ever but at least now Peter's got his abilities back. I feel like he's been lost since season two, first with his season 2 amnesia. Then at the beginning of this season he was in Jesse's body and then overcome by the hunger, then he didn't have his powers. But now he's back, he may have lost his brother in the process but he's back and all his powers are, all his powers I believe....

But back to the formula Pinehearst wanted to use it to give the world abilities, I don't know that I fully disagree with that because then at least everyone would have a fighting chance against one another but it would be chaos and it would definitely not be a fair trade. But what if the formula was used for the reverse, taking powers away. We've seen that it can create powers in Scott's case, though he didn't make it past this episode. It can restore powers in Peter's case and take them away in Mohinder's case, which kind of proves that it should be able to take away powers of anyone. Even those who were born with them naturally. But it's gone now. Pinehearst may still technically be there but it's nothing more then an empty building there's no formula left. Whether it could have been used for good or not doesn't matter anymore because there's no catalyst left. However the Pinehearst players are still intact and don't worry though Nathan has a plan! He of course has proved that he's an ever bigger jerk then when the series began. I remember in season 1 thinking that but over season 2 and even the start of this season he didn't seem quite as bad at the very least but now he's even worse. He allies himself with Arthur, he attempts to give the world abilities and now he's treating Peter like scum. I tell ya Peter would have been better off if Sylar was his brother. At least most of what he does isn't totally his fault or his choice. Nathan completely sells out his brother, everyone he has ever met and everyone who has an ability. He goes to president of the united states, potentially his future title, and says he wants to lock every single person with abilities away where they can't do any harm. Now forget the fact that this kind of contradicts everything he was trying to do at Pinehearst, though it does make a deluded sort of sense, but the president goes along with it completely. So apparently art imitates life in this case, we may have just gotten rid of our idiot in the white house but Heroes still has one and with the next one lining up. But the best part of the episode was the Sylar story, not to mention that wonderful opening narration. Brilliant. He breaks into the company to play a little cat and mouse with HRG, Meredith, Claire and Angela. I remember back in the day, during season one and two, I could relish in the awesomeness that was evil Sylar but now it's very hard to let go of Gabriel because we've seen the good in him. I don't think he'll ever really be able to be Gabriel even if he tried again but it's hard to let go especially because they keep showing that he's in there somewhere buried beneath cotton and ice.

When it was revealed Angela and Arthur weren't his parents I knew he'd be pissed and he'd be coming for Angela hard. How right it seems that HRG should be there as well, given his part in the creation of Sylar. I remember when this season began I was originally shocked and thought it was great that Sylar was a Petrelli but thinking back I didn't immediately believe it one hundred percent, given Angela's past actions, skill at manipulating and her willingness to do all sorts of terrible things. But some where along the way I forgot that I ever doubted it and even now for a second I still wanted it to be true, I wasn't the only one either. These are the glimpses of Gabriel I'm talking about. Those things aren't Sylar talking, when he says he wants Angela to give him something. Just something that shows that this world isn't just evil and wrong and monsters like him isn't coming from Sylar it's coming from Gabriel. It may sound like splitting hairs but there is a difference.

I still don't fully understand why Angela did what she did to Sylar, telling him he was her son. I mean why him? He had a skill she needed but that could said of dozens of people. I'm still holding onto the idea that there's a connection between Sylar and the Petrelli's, it may not be blood but I do still think there's something there. And back to the actual episode. Whether it was right or not Angela wasn't wrong in thinking that Sylar was a powerful weapon, there was never even hope of wielding him but he is a power to be reckoned with. Angela didn't send Sylar to Pineheart, way back in episode 7 for nothing, he's a strong boy the likes of which the world has never seen. Stronger then pretty much anyone. Even at the start of the series he had so much power and with time, new powers and all he's learned he's more powerful then anyone at this point. The Haitian, Arthur, Doyle. He broke Doyle's hold very easily so I very much doubt that a piece of glass is the end of him. We've seen before that if the glass is removed he'll have no problem healing that wound. And fire poses no problem, he can be burnt but once again he can heal. Unfortunately Meredith can't but hey at least the she took the company with her, though to be accurate she took a building with her. Angela is still alive and well and we know Sylar will be too, even if it takes awhile all that is necessary is to remove that piece of glass and maybe then he can get some real answers about who his parents really are. We know now that they aren't the Petrelli's or the people that raised him but they're someone. Angela knows, it's just a matter of time before Sylar finds out. I don't know what answers, solutions or results fiding out will wield but you can bet it will hold some kind of importance when he does find out or they wouldn't have made such a dramatic way of getting to it.

When Sylar does escape his current predicament there's going to be a lot to deal with. For one thing he's the most powerful person in the world and he's not in control of himself, he can't remain unchecked forever. The Haitian is not threat to him, neither is Doyle. Arthur may have been close to him power wise, with a bit of an edge because he could in theory dispower Sylar if he ever needed to but he's not in the picture anymore so that's mute. But there is someone. Peter has his powers back, all of them which I'm assuming includes the hunger. They are very evenly matched, they have almost all the exact same powers (original and absorbed). Right now Nathan and Peter may be at war but since the beginning of the series they have shown that Peter and Sylar are connected, keep running into one another through one way or another and it will come down to some kind of battle between them (what kind is impossible to say) whether they're brothers or not.

Ando has an ability now, the one person to earn an ability from all this mess with the formula. Tracey and Nathan are up to no good. Angela is still are evil as ever. Claire saw the monster in Sylar but may have seen the similarities between them and the similarities between Sylar and her father. Sylar's hunger has once again consumed him but his humanity lives, as will he again someday. Nathan is dead set against Peter and against his own kind, even without Arthur behind the wheel. Peter is more valiant and willing do what is necessary while remaining moral, struggling against his heart and what he knows to be right. Both companies are now toast but some of the players are still very active. Everything felt like a set up into volume four, I realize that's part of the point but it makes me kind of mad. I want more new episodes now.
  • Villians comes to a satisfactory end.

So we all have heard about how Heroes is going down. Well, I have to agree. Season 2 was lackluster, and volume 3 was messy. But at least it has a good ending. Everything seemed to resolve itself and I think its setting up for something good next volume. The writers are acknowledging that the show is downhill, and are trying to turn it around. This episode does some of that. Sylar is himself, a cold-blooded killer. Meredith dies, Knox dies, and Flint may or may not be dead. Sylar gets a shard of glass in the back of his head (loved that nice little touch), but we all know he'll be back next volume

I'm holding out for Heroes.
  • The Season Finale of Heroes

Peter and Nathan find themselves on different sides with different intentions.
    Claire, Angela, Meredith and Noah are taken hostage at Primatech by the very confused and monstrous Sylar.
    Hiro is still stuck in the past while Matt, Ando and Daphne attempt to save him and bring him back to the present. It's the season finale of Heroes and by the end of the episode I wanted more.
    I felt like the cast and crew did a great job with the plot of the episode but I didn't feel like it was better than the other episodes.
    And yet another cliff hanger (Oh how much I hate cliff hangers)
    'SPOILERS'
    From the start of the season till now, a lot of the 'heroes' have turned sour, especially Nathan. And I thought that Claire, Noah, Angela and Meredith getting stuck in Primatech with Sylar responsible was like another Saw movie.

Don't get me wrong, I love Heroes but this episode just had a lot of cons.

In conclusion, Dual was an 'ok' episode and I can't wait for season 4!!!!

HEROES RULZ!!!
    PEACE OUT!!!
  • Better than I thought it would be. I think it sets up nicely for an interesting 4th chapter. Plus if I'm going to berate them when I think they're bad, I should also praise them when I think they're good.

I have to admit, things resolved nicely in this episode, though I did hate to see Claire's birth mother die. At the same time it wasn't that surprising either as they tended to kill people left and right in this one. Ando now has a power which fits him. If you think about it, he's been Hiro's sidekick since the beginning. So what's his power? Basically a sidekick power, the ability to help those who already have abilities. Because of that their able to save Hiro and bring him back to the present.

No surprise that the lab was destroyed. Though I was a bit surprised that there was no Captain America per-se, oh well. The Petrelli brothers may disagree but they're still brothers and now Peter has his powers back. And now it seem Nathan is going to institute the Mutant Registration Act.

While Sylar is once again down for the count I don't believe for a second he's dead, but we can always hope. Sorry, just don't like that character. I did like Mrs. Petrelli's explanation as to why she manipulated him. Totally in her character. Oh, and I was COMPLETELY surprised to see the African future painter alive. That's going to be an interesting explanation but one I want to see.

Yes, overall I did enjoy this episode. It had all of the drama, twists, and nuances that drew me to this show in the first place. I guess I'm going to have to keep watching because just when it seems I'm ready to leave, they draw me right back in. Can't wait till February.
  • In the breathtaking finale of volume 3 'Villains' Sylar takes four of the hero's hostage at Primatech, while Peter, Mohinder, Flint, Knox, Tracy and Nathan clash. Meanwhile Daphne, Ando and Matt attempt to save a powerless Hiro.

Volume 3 reaches a thrilling climax as all of our heroes fight against the odds.

Being surprisingly atmospheric and somewhat frightening, my favourite story line within this episode takes place in the dark halls and prison cells of Primatech. It plays out like a marvellous ghost train, 'Heroes' style.

The scenes with Meredith's out of control pyrokinisis (having been previously injected with adrenaline by Sylar) were incredibly tense and probably some of the best scenes of the entire episode.

Sylar proceeds to lock Noah up with the unstable Meredith, giving him a choice;
    Shoot Meredith and deprive Claire of her real Mother, thereby saving himself, or let Meredith's flames kill him; being one of the best of 'Heroes' dilemmas to date, this unforgettable scene really made my heart pump. But fortunately for Noah, Claire comes to the rescue before Meredith blows up bringing Primatech down in flames.

The main story concerning the formula was equally exiting, containing scenes of great action. Watching the coloured beakers and test tubes being smashed to bits by Knox and co was particularly interesting to watch visually.

The special effect I found to be the most stunning in this episode was when Tracy freezed Knox, saving Nathan. Tracy's power has got to be without doubt the coolest power (ability) on the show yet. Get it? Don't worry its not just you, it's a really bad joke! Hiro's story was the most inventive however, with Ando injecting himself with one of the formulas synthetic abilities, super charging Daphne's ability, allowing her to literally run back into the past to save Hiro.

After being hilariously insulted by Tracy, ('I've got plans for this little piece of paper Pikachu') Hiro punches her square on the nose and steals the formula, later destroying it forever.

This is one thing I particularly like about 'Heroes', it takes itself seriously, but not too seriously. The comedy tends to lighten the mood of the show, showing how, under all the special effects, it is really about humanity and real down to earth emotions.

So with the world yet again seemingly saved, Volume 4 begins, and it looks like our Heroes will be forced to run…
  • Peter destroys the lab, regains his ability and saves Nathan. Sylar finds out that Angela knows who his parents really are. Daphne and Ando save Hiro from the past and help destroy the formula. Nathan still decides to carryout his own agenda.

This was good episode, but there were a few things that probably frustrated many viewers. Probably the most ambiguous scene was when Ando and Daphne went back in time to save Hiro. It was not really explained how Daphne could run fast enough to save Hiro and how were they able to come back to the present. Another disappointing part was when Nathan switched allegiances and decides to round up people with abilities. Thats sounds like a good plot, but why would Nathan go through a drastic character change? Couldn't be another individual in which people abilities ruined their lives and wanted to get revenge? That would make a heck a lot more sense. And to clear up Peter getting his powers back, instead of getting a random one. Peter had his ability of absorbing powers naturally. So by injecting the formula, he merely re-activated his ability.
  • Nothing special...

I didn't know what to think after I had watched this episode... I thought there was going to be a more revealing episode, and an even more exciting episode than than this season finale... I have to say, "heroes" season finale's aren't that great in general either though... Throughout the seaso , I enjoyed the duality between the 'heroes' and the 'villains', but I thought that in the end, by the meanign of 'Dual' that there was going to be a fight between these two different types of parties... I was disappointed. For some strange reason I always thought that there was going to be a major fight between Sylar, Tracy, Knox etc... against Peter, Noah, Matt, Hiro etc... but I guess not.. Hopefully in later seasons.
    Here's for Volume Four!
  • A great installment of Heroes which brings Volume 3 to a very confusing end.

After last week's fantastic episode, I thought that Heroes would once more start to slip but I was wrong. This episode was great and despite the many pointless deaths, it felt like it was finally going back to the season one it once was. In this episode Nathan and Peter battle over what to do with the formula. As always I was unenthused with Milo Ventimiglia's acting, as it seems to comprise of a lot of lip pursing and panting. However I have always loved Nathan and even though I hate to see him becoming the villain, he is still one of my favourite characters. Nathan ending volume three by giving the names of all known heroes around the world to the president of the united states and telling him he wants them rounded up and locked away. This perfectly sets up volume four, fugitives and Heroes will definately be going back to it's old formula. However this storyline left many questions. Why did Nathan give up Tracy Strauss as a hero even though they claim to be friends? Why did he give up Mohinder if his power is cured? Has he contracted another one? We'll find out in the new year though and I can't wait. Meanwhile in the heroes world Angela, Claire, Noah and Meredith were trapped inside Primatek by Sylar who wants to show them all that they are villains like him. This was probably the most interesting storyline of the episode, reminding me more of a horror film than a part of this show. I thought that Angela was destined to bite the dust in this episode but actually it was...Sylar! Yes, even though it hasn't been confirmed and it will probably come to nothing by the new year, in this episode it seems that Claire has killed Sylar. She figured out that she can disable his ability by giving him a jab in the back of the neck, which would sever the connection to his brain. It seemed to work and shortly after the building burned to the ground taking Sylar, Meredith, Doyle and plenty of other people with it. This storlyine reminded me so much of the season one formula that it actually made me excited, although I still wish that Doyle hadn't been killed, he was an awesome villain. I have to go into a rant here though for the first time in the review. I have said it before that the deaths in the show are always pointless as they only happen to people who heal seconds later (Noah, Claire, Peter and Sylar to name a few). So I have this warning for the Heroes writers. Even though Sylar was a great villain and one of my favourite characters, I do not want to see him back again. Too many people have cheated death in this show and for a main character to actually die with no strings attatched is something that is neccesary in a show that deals with action and danger. So R.I.P Gabriel Grey, you deserve it. The other storyline in this episode featured Ando, Matt and Daphne trying to rescue Hiro from the past. I loved the moment were you realised that it was Hiro's involvment in the past that had caused the formula to be seperated into two pieces. George Takei was also class in this episode, playing the scary samarui guy. I want more of him, even though he is clearly dead in the present. Ando's power was also a good moment in the episode. His new ability apparantly enhances the abilites of other Heroes, causing Daphne to move faster and Matt to be able to hear people's thoughts from further away. However this is all coming too close to the future where Ando kills Hiro so I can't wait to see more of this development in volume four. And that brings us to the end of volume three. Sylar could be dead, Nathan has sold out his fellow heroes, the formula is destroyed and Ando has a new power. I can't wait for January, which is looking to be the best month of the year with the return of Heroes, Fringe and Lost. I love 2009.
  • I tried to type out "Ando got his powers" and found that I couldn't do this without giggling maniacally. Huh.

I cheered. I laughed. I stopped breathing. And I finally did NOT scream at something stupid. Why? Because Heroes might FINALLY be BACK. Ando got his powers. Happiness like I have never known. A human battery is beyond awesome and so totally matches his character. I can't help but wonder what would happen if he used it on normal people. Probably would set their nervous system all out of whack and they'd die or something. It's so freaking cool.

We all know Sylar's not really dead, because Sylar cannot die. He is like Chuck Norris. Only, you know, not as invincible. It's great to see psycho Sylar. I've missed him so. I miss Elle, too.

AHAHA! Hiro is offically awesome for the Pikachu thing. I really have nothing else to say except the following: HRG, I love you no matter what, Claire... nice job. There, I said it. I'll miss Meredith, I will. Ha ha, Eric Doyle. Ha. Nathan, shut up, Peter, I kind of love you now, and finally, WHY is SURESH still ALIVE???

Til next year, everyone.
  • Lines drawn in the sand.

This just gets more interesting and challenging. The big question is still who's right and who's wrong. Which side is the good side and on the right path. We see strength in several of our Heroes. Claire, Peter, Daphne and Matt. Ando makes a choice but is it the right one or will it cost him his life. Suresh, seems cured, but will it be permanent and at what price. Nathan and Peter are on opposite sides but are their motives in the right place. Tracy having her own adgenda begins a new recruitment phase. Sylar is a force to be reckoned with but is he the basis for decisions being made. It will be interesting to see how our Heroes and Villians continue to unravel.
  • Felt like everything ended too fast.

They took too long to build up the formula end of the world scenario just to rip it down so quickly. How can they brush off something they worked so hard to get us worried about. Nathan's change of opinion seemed unnatural. He was ready to build an empire on the formula and then almost immediately changes his mind.

What is up with the next season. We have seen this before. Nathan's plan is to do exactly what "the company" Primatech did by locking up heroes, except now it's the federal government.

Sylar's reign of evil was way too short lived. I hope he comes back but I can't believe he got ganked so early after he finally became badass again. I guess we'll find out next season.

Looking forward to volume 4 nonetheless. No matter how bad they mess up, I can't help but remain attached to these characters. It must be the awesomeness of season 1 still not out of my system.
  • Sylar goes Saw on Primatech .

It's was a good ending for this volume it had some mistakes but all in all it was a pretty exciting episode. First of all Arthur only use the catalyst on a small vial of the formula not in every one in the lab so Mohinder and Peter shouldn't be affected. Secondly , if Peter regained his powers he shoildn't have the scar in his cheek. I didn't like either that Knox and Flint suddenly started working for Peter and also that Ecko die without even saying a word when they did a Webisode mini series detailng his background. I like what Sylar did at Primatech it was exciting and it looked like a manhunt.It reminded me a lot to Saw I swear I thought he was gonna say :" Live or die Noah it's your choice" it was kind of creepy. Peter and Nathan are ready for a showdown and a big confrontation in " Fugitives". As far as Ando's power I think is kind of cool and know it kind of makes sense Ando attacking Hiro when he traveled to the future , maybe he was just trying to teleport him. I think this season achieved the sense of duality in the characters and showed us that in the Heroes world not everything is black and white but they kind of gave one step back according to character development, they need to focus on that in the next chapter.
< 1 2