Aired Monday 9:00 PM Dec 15, 2008 on NBC

• Peter got his ability back, and Sylar is dead!!!

unbelievable!!! finally Peter got his power back!!
    great end for this volume, with Sylar's dead, i was shocked, but cant be!! i mean what is going happen to the show if hes dead, I'm sure hes coming back in the next volume :D, i really like his character even when he turned to be the "good guy" great character in both way really!!!
    but now peter got hes ability back that was nice, and hero lost his abilities poor "yatta" guy hehe :))
    but now endo got an ability for him.
    i cant wait to see the next episode from the new volume.
    this is the best show ever
  • This episode was weird but somehow I enjoyed it... a little.

I have no idea what is going on in this show, nothing makes sense anymore, and to tell you the truth, I don't really care anymore. So, when I watched this episode, I watched it as a stand alone episode. 4 guys trapped in a building with a psychopath / serial killer and trying to survive.

Three funny / nice people are trying to find a friend.

And two brothers are acting really really strange.

Jeph Loab writes comics for a living and he is trying to combine here too many elements from the Comics World till it got out of his control. The problem is... it seems that he does not care.

Last words: I have no idea, after watching this season, what was the point here.
  • End of Villians...

In this episode we see Sylar trapping Claire, Noah, Meredith and Angela inside Primatech which really never made much sense. Peter being joined by Flint and Dixon to destroy the formula and the lab was doing it to save the future; the others were doing it to remain special. Ando injecting the formula in an effort to save Hiro was a huge step for the character as he finally became the only character to get powers. We get a sneak peak into Volume 4 'Fugitives' where Nathan wants everyone with abilities captured... well the ones we were able to see.
  • Felt like everything ended too fast.

They took too long to build up the formula end of the world scenario just to rip it down so quickly. How can they brush off something they worked so hard to get us worried about. Nathan's change of opinion seemed unnatural. He was ready to build an empire on the formula and then almost immediately changes his mind.

What is up with the next season. We have seen this before. Nathan's plan is to do exactly what "the company" Primatech did by locking up heroes, except now it's the federal government.

Sylar's reign of evil was way too short lived. I hope he comes back but I can't believe he got ganked so early after he finally became badass again. I guess we'll find out next season.

Looking forward to volume 4 nonetheless. No matter how bad they mess up, I can't help but remain attached to these characters. It must be the awesomeness of season 1 still not out of my system.
  • A very good one before the break..

I really enjoyed this episode. Sylar keeping everyone trapped at Primatech was nicely done. A few things caught my attention tho.. Like what happened to the Haitian. Didn't he go after Sylar after Arthur got that bullet into his forehead? Sylar, apparently went through the door Arthur came in, which wasn't the exit and ended up at Primatech while Peter was down on his knees looking at his father and then talking to Nathan.. Another thing, Claire trying to use the phone without luck. Hmm, guess nobody had a cell phone.. such an expensive thing.. lol

Anyways, a fine episode nonetheless. Nate and Pete fighting each other and yay, finally Peter getting his power back!!
  • The best episode in volume three.

Finally things get all wrapped up. This was jsut amazing in every aspect. Everyone got an amazing amount of airtime. It was just perfect! Claire & her mom dying was sad, but I'm glad it was her to save the day. I loved this episode because Sylar trapped them all, and it was just such a perfect way to end a volume. Is Sylar really dead. Who knows? Now the villain is Nathan trying to lock the heroes up. Tracy isn't that much anymore since she got fired. Ando's ability was amazing. Hiro saved the day as well. Stealing the formula & making sure it never gets out. I guess Peter still cares for his brother but he has got to let got for Volume four. Perfect episode!
  • One of the poorest...

Before I tuned in to watch this episode, the hype had really gripped me. However I was a little disappointed. For me, the volume finale's that preceded it were much better. In all honesty nothing really happened, a lot of story lines remained unanswered and the battle between Nathan and Peter was also very disappointing. Though there was good parts to the show also. I love Ando's power and there was a few plot twists that really helped the episode develop. Compared to the rest of the series this was a good episode but not the best. I expected a little more from the series finale.
  • Not a perfect finally but

OK Finally it seams Heroes will take a good direction. Every heroes has show his true colors, and I think thats reallyyyyy cool.
    Even so like always(it seems they dont know how to make characters last) they kill every new heroe, even it is a soldier, the guy of fear, or the one Im really piss off death, Elle, I think finally its all returning in a slow but sure steps to the first season of heroes.
    All fans(including myself) must pray for that return before they cancelled the show. By the way quit trying to make silar a good guy he is much more cooler as the bad cold killer assasin he is.
  • did one gr8 thing!!!

i am happe dat dey gave peter peterelli his powers baq...he was lukin pathetic widout em...n sylar aka gabriel gray is baq 2 bein wha he is suits him alot...poor meredith dont care abou her......buh y da helll did nathan peterelli go bad...disappointed by this one..n plz get rid of mohinder suresh lol..oh one more thing hiro nakamora shud hav his powers baq....n da whole story is now shifting 2 da future in wich nathan peterelli is da president n sylar aka gabriel is workin 4 him....hopefully season 4 turns ou better dan dis one...season 1 n 2 were great.
  • Conclusion of volume 3 leading to volume 4. Loads of questions answered and even more asked.

This episode actually wrapped up volume 3 pretty well. There have been problems getting Heroes back to season 1 standards, we all know that. Hopefully this episode cleared the path for a great set of episodes for volume 4. They implied Sylar is dead, but that's happened before and look what happened! Losing Meredith and the level 5 people is not so bad. The show will benefit from concentrating on the core characters once again. I loved Ando's new power, there must be plenty of story milage there for the future. Overall, a satisfying conclusion leaving us in anticipation of what will happen next.
  • Review.

Nathan and Peter face off, and Nathan makes a move with far reaching consequences. Sylar takes desperate measures at Primatech and the fates of several heroes hang in the balance. Ando, Matt, and Daphne continue their quest to save Hiro.
    This episode was on par with the last we saw a lot of useless people die so this was what I was hoping for. We all know Sylar isn't dead but he's cool, Meredith, Doyle, Knox, a random super strength dude are all dead. there where too many and now I think there is the right amount of people with abilities. Ando's new power was cool but it was very predictable him getting the wrong one. overall the last two episodes of the volume where the best of the volume. I don't get why this episode is rated low probable just because it was the volumes finale, there always rated low shame on you all.

One of the worst finales ever !!! Neither acting nor script nor storyline made any sense at all.

I was extremely disappointed with this episode, it was as if I was watching a kids cartoon superhero episode.

Pity I'm rapidly losing interest in a show that makes me ask more stupid questions than intriguing ones.

A few of this episode's questions would be:

- Couldn't the mother leave the Company's building (outside to the open) before blowing it up? Well Angela who's 30 years older did !!
    - Couldn't freaky Seresh fight back?
    - Couldn't Nathan Fly out of the fire?

In my opinion, Episode 1 of chapter 4 will either make it or break it for this show.... fingers crossed.
  • Uhh...not so good.

Usually Heroes gets good near the end of a volume...but not so much this time. I saw no climax here at all. Sure, the formula was destroyed, but that somehow didn't seem like such a big accomplishment to me. It didn't matter if Hiro destroyed it anyways, since the catalyst is gone now and no more of it can be made. And Sylar capturing Claire/Angela/HRG/Meredith? Where did that come from? Sylar is season one, what is he doing now other than being annoying? It was cool that he pitted his victims against each other though, and anything with Angela in it is automatically just awesome...so I guess that was the best part. It did make me scared too - Angela almost died multiple times. She is way too hardcore to die. I'd cry. The Hiro/Parkman/Ando/Daphne stuff was also really boring. Hiro messes things up more than he fixes anything, and his lameness is just too much to handle anymore. Parkman is boring like always, and Ando with a power (one he can't actually use himself haha) - I dunno about that.

The Pinehearst action was okay, but nothing too exciting. I really wanted Suresh to be dead finally, but this is Heroes so no one ever dies, or if they die they come back, so yeah he wasn't dead, darn. Nathan turning bad is sorta cool...but why didn't he fly out of the fire? Peter had to fly him out? Uhh no. That was dumb. I really can't keep waiting for the show to get better anymore...sorry Heroes, I'm breaking up with you. Goodbye.
  • A disappointing finale to this volume

This volume of "Heroes" has been proven divisive among the fans. Many have been dissatisfied with the direction taken by the series, both in terms of plot and character, while others have stridently defended each and every move. It's safe to say that the season has been relatively controversial, with some critics declaring the beginning of the end, especially after Tim Kring's recent tirade against the fans.

Sometimes the true value of a story cannot be measured until it is complete. Sometimes the writers only seem to stray from the path. And sometimes the conclusion is just as disappointing as the rest of the journey. Unfortunately, nothing in this finale is likely to change anyone's stance on the volume as a whole. Those who were disappointed so far will continue to be so, and those still faithful will continue to be pleased.

The finale has roughly the same qualities and drawbacks as the rest of the season. Taken on its own, it works very well and tells a satisfying story. The problems all emerge once one takes into account the rest of the season (and the rest of the series, for that matter). There are plot conveniences galore, particularly in the evolution/combination of abilities, and the writers seem convinced that the thematic underpinning of this volume was well-served. I'm not so sure.

After killing Arthur (who shouldn't have stayed dead, based on how the regenerative powers work), Sylar doesn't try to exploit the ready and waiting ability feeding frenzy at Pinehearst. Instead, he runs off to go play mind games with Angela, Noah, Claire, and Meredith. I can understand his desire to pay Angela back for messing with his mind, and one could argue that tossing Noah into the mix fits with their past history.

I can appreciate what was attempted. The notion that Sylar believed that he could push the more innocent Claire into cold-blooded murder demonstrated his warped sense of morality. Just by pushing Claire into a Hobson's choice, where no outcome is favorable, Sylar absolves her of any responsibility for what she must do to survive. After all, she can't sacrifice herself to avoid making the choice; she and Sylar both know that she'll just regenerate and the choice will still be forced upon her. When there are no alternatives, the responsibility falls to the one who set that stage.

Which, in effect, undercuts the general premise of the season: to expose the true hero or villain underneath the everyday mask each individual wears. This wasn't some situation that presented a natural outlet of villainous behavior; it was a constructed crucible that would have forced villainous behavior. Those are two very different things, and unless the writers were trying to expose the true mental stability of Sylar in the process, the writers dropped their own ball.

They were a bit better with Nathan, though I still believe that his conversion into villainy was unnecessarily muddled. Whatever happened to his religious experience and that set of motivations? That could have easily transformed into a desire to proliferate abilities for the "greater good", which then could have evolved into a desire to reboot the Company under the control of the government after this most recent failure. This is par for the course this season, however: unnecessarily convoluted character motivations.

The battle at Pinehearst also dropped in a number of plot conveniences. So Mohinder is cured of his affliction by accidental swallowing of the formula? Will he now develop an ability on top of that? And Peter injects himself, and just happens to get the ability to fly? (Or was it his old ability all over again?) The worst offense, however, had to be Ando's ability.

Ando's ability, in concert with Daphne's ability, made absolutely no sense. Nothing in Einstein's theory of relativity derives a theory of superluminal time travel. In fact, Einstein explicitly states that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light! It also strains credibility beyond the breaking point to think that Ando would get an ability, figure out how it works together with Daphne's ability, and then use it with enough precision to arrive just in time to save Hiro from a completely unnecessary death.

In short, the finale to "Villains" did little to redeem it, other than bringing this particularly disappointing chapter to a close and setting up something ostensibly better. Forcing the metahumans underground is a nice touch. It does set things up for another riff on one of the plot elements from "The 4400", but it all comes down to execution. If Kring was sincere in his desire to avoid the mistakes of the past, "Heroes" might bounce back.
  • Love the creativeness of the finale but sometimes plot holes are there to create pain to us. I've written some plotholes down in the review.

There was once upon a time Heroes was very good.. now it is just for finding how many plotholes you can find in an episode..
    I for now will put three potholes in this episode

1. Ando and Daphne did time travel back because of their combined powers. But how the heck did they come back to the original time. Daphne couldnt have run slower than time itself to makeup to come to this time. This was really painful to watch.

2. We did see that when the Injection is put it almost takes a while to get the power to the injected person. Whereas peter gets it as soon as he injects it which is little unbelievable 3. We did see Nathan backing up Peter almost the entire series. All of a sudden he becomes really evil and almost wants to kill him.

But inspite of all these potholes it is still a new and creative show which is the reason i am still watching it and love it but painful at times.
  • Shades of Gray

Ando, Matt and Daphne make a great team. Funny how Daphne was Hiro's nemesis when things began this season. Anyway thanks to the formula, more on that later, Ando has got himself a power now. It happened easy, he learned how to use it with little difficulty and accomplished a lot with it. It can't be that simple can it? Ando amplifies ability, like a super charge essentially. He amplified Daphne's ability and they rescued Hiro from sixteen years ago and managed to get hold of the formula and destroy.

Peter took care of the rest, with a little help from Knox and Flynt, destroyed the batch Nathan and Arthur had cooked up at Primatech. But not before he unintentionally cured Mohinder and himself, though Mohinder is now with the ice queen Tracey who's as big a screw ball as Nathan. But Peter's back baby!!!! Yes! Though he was never really gone just his powers, he and Nathan are going to be more at war then ever but at least now Peter's got his abilities back. I feel like he's been lost since season two, first with his season 2 amnesia. Then at the beginning of this season he was in Jesse's body and then overcome by the hunger, then he didn't have his powers. But now he's back, he may have lost his brother in the process but he's back and all his powers are, all his powers I believe....

But back to the formula Pinehearst wanted to use it to give the world abilities, I don't know that I fully disagree with that because then at least everyone would have a fighting chance against one another but it would be chaos and it would definitely not be a fair trade. But what if the formula was used for the reverse, taking powers away. We've seen that it can create powers in Scott's case, though he didn't make it past this episode. It can restore powers in Peter's case and take them away in Mohinder's case, which kind of proves that it should be able to take away powers of anyone. Even those who were born with them naturally. But it's gone now. Pinehearst may still technically be there but it's nothing more then an empty building there's no formula left. Whether it could have been used for good or not doesn't matter anymore because there's no catalyst left. However the Pinehearst players are still intact and don't worry though Nathan has a plan! He of course has proved that he's an ever bigger jerk then when the series began. I remember in season 1 thinking that but over season 2 and even the start of this season he didn't seem quite as bad at the very least but now he's even worse. He allies himself with Arthur, he attempts to give the world abilities and now he's treating Peter like scum. I tell ya Peter would have been better off if Sylar was his brother. At least most of what he does isn't totally his fault or his choice. Nathan completely sells out his brother, everyone he has ever met and everyone who has an ability. He goes to president of the united states, potentially his future title, and says he wants to lock every single person with abilities away where they can't do any harm. Now forget the fact that this kind of contradicts everything he was trying to do at Pinehearst, though it does make a deluded sort of sense, but the president goes along with it completely. So apparently art imitates life in this case, we may have just gotten rid of our idiot in the white house but Heroes still has one and with the next one lining up. But the best part of the episode was the Sylar story, not to mention that wonderful opening narration. Brilliant. He breaks into the company to play a little cat and mouse with HRG, Meredith, Claire and Angela. I remember back in the day, during season one and two, I could relish in the awesomeness that was evil Sylar but now it's very hard to let go of Gabriel because we've seen the good in him. I don't think he'll ever really be able to be Gabriel even if he tried again but it's hard to let go especially because they keep showing that he's in there somewhere buried beneath cotton and ice.

When it was revealed Angela and Arthur weren't his parents I knew he'd be pissed and he'd be coming for Angela hard. How right it seems that HRG should be there as well, given his part in the creation of Sylar. I remember when this season began I was originally shocked and thought it was great that Sylar was a Petrelli but thinking back I didn't immediately believe it one hundred percent, given Angela's past actions, skill at manipulating and her willingness to do all sorts of terrible things. But some where along the way I forgot that I ever doubted it and even now for a second I still wanted it to be true, I wasn't the only one either. These are the glimpses of Gabriel I'm talking about. Those things aren't Sylar talking, when he says he wants Angela to give him something. Just something that shows that this world isn't just evil and wrong and monsters like him isn't coming from Sylar it's coming from Gabriel. It may sound like splitting hairs but there is a difference.

I still don't fully understand why Angela did what she did to Sylar, telling him he was her son. I mean why him? He had a skill she needed but that could said of dozens of people. I'm still holding onto the idea that there's a connection between Sylar and the Petrelli's, it may not be blood but I do still think there's something there. And back to the actual episode. Whether it was right or not Angela wasn't wrong in thinking that Sylar was a powerful weapon, there was never even hope of wielding him but he is a power to be reckoned with. Angela didn't send Sylar to Pineheart, way back in episode 7 for nothing, he's a strong boy the likes of which the world has never seen. Stronger then pretty much anyone. Even at the start of the series he had so much power and with time, new powers and all he's learned he's more powerful then anyone at this point. The Haitian, Arthur, Doyle. He broke Doyle's hold very easily so I very much doubt that a piece of glass is the end of him. We've seen before that if the glass is removed he'll have no problem healing that wound. And fire poses no problem, he can be burnt but once again he can heal. Unfortunately Meredith can't but hey at least the she took the company with her, though to be accurate she took a building with her. Angela is still alive and well and we know Sylar will be too, even if it takes awhile all that is necessary is to remove that piece of glass and maybe then he can get some real answers about who his parents really are. We know now that they aren't the Petrelli's or the people that raised him but they're someone. Angela knows, it's just a matter of time before Sylar finds out. I don't know what answers, solutions or results fiding out will wield but you can bet it will hold some kind of importance when he does find out or they wouldn't have made such a dramatic way of getting to it.

When Sylar does escape his current predicament there's going to be a lot to deal with. For one thing he's the most powerful person in the world and he's not in control of himself, he can't remain unchecked forever. The Haitian is not threat to him, neither is Doyle. Arthur may have been close to him power wise, with a bit of an edge because he could in theory dispower Sylar if he ever needed to but he's not in the picture anymore so that's mute. But there is someone. Peter has his powers back, all of them which I'm assuming includes the hunger. They are very evenly matched, they have almost all the exact same powers (original and absorbed). Right now Nathan and Peter may be at war but since the beginning of the series they have shown that Peter and Sylar are connected, keep running into one another through one way or another and it will come down to some kind of battle between them (what kind is impossible to say) whether they're brothers or not.

Ando has an ability now, the one person to earn an ability from all this mess with the formula. Tracey and Nathan are up to no good. Angela is still are evil as ever. Claire saw the monster in Sylar but may have seen the similarities between them and the similarities between Sylar and her father. Sylar's hunger has once again consumed him but his humanity lives, as will he again someday. Nathan is dead set against Peter and against his own kind, even without Arthur behind the wheel. Peter is more valiant and willing do what is necessary while remaining moral, struggling against his heart and what he knows to be right. Both companies are now toast but some of the players are still very active. Everything felt like a set up into volume four, I realize that's part of the point but it makes me kind of mad. I want more new episodes now.
  • In the breathtaking finale of volume 3 'Villains' Sylar takes four of the hero's hostage at Primatech, while Peter, Mohinder, Flint, Knox, Tracy and Nathan clash. Meanwhile Daphne, Ando and Matt attempt to save a powerless Hiro.

Volume 3 reaches a thrilling climax as all of our heroes fight against the odds.

Being surprisingly atmospheric and somewhat frightening, my favourite story line within this episode takes place in the dark halls and prison cells of Primatech. It plays out like a marvellous ghost train, 'Heroes' style.

The scenes with Meredith's out of control pyrokinisis (having been previously injected with adrenaline by Sylar) were incredibly tense and probably some of the best scenes of the entire episode.

Sylar proceeds to lock Noah up with the unstable Meredith, giving him a choice;
    Shoot Meredith and deprive Claire of her real Mother, thereby saving himself, or let Meredith's flames kill him; being one of the best of 'Heroes' dilemmas to date, this unforgettable scene really made my heart pump. But fortunately for Noah, Claire comes to the rescue before Meredith blows up bringing Primatech down in flames.

The main story concerning the formula was equally exiting, containing scenes of great action. Watching the coloured beakers and test tubes being smashed to bits by Knox and co was particularly interesting to watch visually.

The special effect I found to be the most stunning in this episode was when Tracy freezed Knox, saving Nathan. Tracy's power has got to be without doubt the coolest power (ability) on the show yet. Get it? Don't worry its not just you, it's a really bad joke! Hiro's story was the most inventive however, with Ando injecting himself with one of the formulas synthetic abilities, super charging Daphne's ability, allowing her to literally run back into the past to save Hiro.

After being hilariously insulted by Tracy, ('I've got plans for this little piece of paper Pikachu') Hiro punches her square on the nose and steals the formula, later destroying it forever.

This is one thing I particularly like about 'Heroes', it takes itself seriously, but not too seriously. The comedy tends to lighten the mood of the show, showing how, under all the special effects, it is really about humanity and real down to earth emotions.

So with the world yet again seemingly saved, Volume 4 begins, and it looks like our Heroes will be forced to run…
  • Sylar goes Saw on Primatech .

It's was a good ending for this volume it had some mistakes but all in all it was a pretty exciting episode. First of all Arthur only use the catalyst on a small vial of the formula not in every one in the lab so Mohinder and Peter shouldn't be affected. Secondly , if Peter regained his powers he shoildn't have the scar in his cheek. I didn't like either that Knox and Flint suddenly started working for Peter and also that Ecko die without even saying a word when they did a Webisode mini series detailng his background. I like what Sylar did at Primatech it was exciting and it looked like a manhunt.It reminded me a lot to Saw I swear I thought he was gonna say :" Live or die Noah it's your choice" it was kind of creepy. Peter and Nathan are ready for a showdown and a big confrontation in " Fugitives". As far as Ando's power I think is kind of cool and know it kind of makes sense Ando attacking Hiro when he traveled to the future , maybe he was just trying to teleport him. I think this season achieved the sense of duality in the characters and showed us that in the Heroes world not everything is black and white but they kind of gave one step back according to character development, they need to focus on that in the next chapter.
  • Interesting episode...

This episode was so interesting showing the characters duality but Sylar like a good guy is not convincing then it's so good he returned like a bad guy.
    Ando with powers can be used in the next episodes for the bad guys to increase their powers.
    Poor Meredith… did she die on the fire? Maybe not….
    I didn't like the fight between Sylar and Claire…. It could be a big duel between the other Heroes and Sylar then it would be more exciting…
    Sylar was dead like Claire in the season before that, and taking off the glass of her neck she returns to life and so can happen with Sylar on the next volume. He is a powerful villain and deserves come back in the Season 4.
    All the characters show their really face and in the end Nathan shows that he is a bad guy too… he asks the president to find the other Heroes and captivate them. Of course he didn't say he was one of the Heroes…
    I think Cristine Rose is wonderful like Angela Petrelli – great actress.
  • Not what i expected.

They do this every season. Season 1 was good and the build up to the season finale was going great but the season finale was just boring. Season 2 was boring from the start except when Noah gets shot in the eye and the last 2 mins of the season finale. I was enjoying season 3 but they had to ruin the finale of villains again. I mean come on u get a good story going and u make the same mistake THRICE. The worst part was Mohinder healing himself without injecting the formula and the level 5 guys helping Peter. Meredith's death was not required and i dont know why but i always wanted Sylar to die at the hands of Peter after they have a good duel and not the way they showed it in the finale. I really supported Heroes this season but the finale really disappointed me. I really hope Fugitives is better.
  • How on earth does someone manage to screw up such a great concept? This series truly was a waste of time

To be fair, this finale didn't really stand a chance with all that has gone on prior to it.

The series had gone so far off track that all this episdoe had time for was to fix the mess. And now the dust has settled we realise only one thing has changed - Nathan Petrelli is now a bad guy.

So why? Why on earth were we taken on such a wild goose chase? Why were Daphne, Flame guy, Fear guy, and everyone other new character in this series even introduced? Why did the writers even bother flirt with the idea of sylar turning good, peter going bad, spirit walks...? The key question i'm tryin to ask, as i'm sure you've guessed is - What was the point in this series? (Let's not forget the ridiculous way it started either)

Perhaps many of you won't agree but i believe there was potentially a decent plot hidden beneath all the mess this season:

1)The "badies" want to give everyone powers and begin to build up an army of more "baddies" to acheive this goal. It's easy to see why Sylar would have wanted in on this (more head slicing for him!)

2) On the other hand the "goodies" act as goodies do and try to prevent this via larges bang and flashed from there own palms.

3) Throw in a couple (Well thought out and well acted) subplots and voila!

There! Done! The simple "goodie's vs baddies" formula that has been around for years. But no. The writers had to go off on their own little tangent with all these daddy issues, eclipses and what not. Subplots which perhaps could have worked if the execution wasn't so desperately poor.

My Verdict: A series of huge potential ruined, firstly, by an over-crowded cast (Far too many characters to cover, many of them not needed). Secondly, by too many poorly written, disgracefully acted subplots.
  • slightly disappointed

Despite resolving the storylines and setting one for the next volume, "Dual" didn't feel as fleshed out an episode as it should have been. Like almost the whole season, it was very plot driven and it felt rushed, which is no surprise. If people complained at that for the entire volume, it's the same here. For those who didn't, they will like it. The episode pretty much sums up the feeling of the entire volume, so pick a side. The episode begins where it ended. Arthur Petrelli is dead. Many still question the fact that he was shot in the front of the head and not in the back and that he should have regenerated. But I didn't care. The volume baddy is dead. Thats it. Robert Forster did a great job with the character and, despite his sometimes vague dialogue, I will miss him. Ando injecting the formula in an effort to save Hiro was a huge step for the character, so it was too bad the whole thing was sort of treated as the comic relief of the episode. Elsewhere, the episode lacked any emotional reaction. Sylar gets a shard of glass in the sweet spot in the back of his head, but you can't invest yourself in the character being dead. Even minor character Meredith could have survived the huge fire she started. The series has established that there's always a way out of any given predicament. If anything makes this episode worthy of being a Volume finale, it's the hint of what's to come in Volume Four. And it's not necessarily the fact that the heroes are now going to be hunted -- or that Worf is president -- it's that things can start anew. All the problems people have had with the first half of season three could all be forgotten with an incredible, mind-blowing second half. Can it be done? We'll have to wait until February to see.
  • a suspenseful midseason finale

It's here. The midseason finale. It's been a bumpy half season, full of highs and lows, the best so far being Our Father and the worst being The Eclipse Part Two, where the crew resorted to story cannibalism in order to survive. Criticism for this season has been Heroes' highest. The staff of Heroes has taken notice of all these criticisms and have decided to revise next volume. I hope it's worth it. I did like this episode although it didn't feel quite complete as a season finale. Since this midseason was treated as a full season, that would have been the method to go. Instead, it just ends up feeling somehow anticlimatic, and a lot of times it feels like the Heroes staff has blown through the rest of this midseason and decided to write it off. That's not to say it isn't still exciting and it is a major improvement from the Season Two finale. The episode opens with Peter standing over Arthur's dead body. Nathan walks in and sees the damage. Peter tells him what's happened and it's time to end the formula. Nathan refuses, he believes the formula can do good, that his work is noble. If Peter has a problem with that, he can kill Nathan. Now that Arthur is dead, Nathan seems willing to fill his place. He's totally committed to seeing the vision of "goodness" fulfilled. Now Peter and Claire are the only sane people left in the Petrelli family. Peter doesn't kill Nathan, he loves Nathan too much, but he's willing to knock Nathan out. It's time to finish it. He storms into the lab where Mohinder is and starts to destroy the formula. Mohinder protests but Peter is joined by villains Knox and Flint, willing to help Peter because once everyone has powers, they won't be special anymore. Hey, a villain helping a hero can be a good ally. Claire, Angela, Noah, and Meredith try to get to Pinehearst to help Peter but are stuck in Primatech due to Sylar. Sylar is fully-charged and fully embracing being back to a villain. No more self-doubt, he knows what he is and he doesn't care anymore. No holding back. It's time for revenge on those who wronged him: Angela, the woman who tricked him into believing she was his mother and Noah, Sylar's nemesis that helped make Sylar into a monster. Nemesis Claire and her biological mother Meredith are not exempt. Sylar's method of revenge can be comparable to The Joker in The Dark Knight, in a much smaller, Heroesish way of course: show these heroes that they have a button to push, prove to them that they are evil like him. Noah is willing to sacrifice a few villains to get Sylar weakened. Claire is tasked to choose between grandmother Angela or adoptive father Noah. Kill Angela or Noah will die. Claire opts for a third option: in a semi-dramatic move, shooting the phone and letting Angela and Noah live. Angela is perfectly cool in the situation, she thinks she still has enough control to get under Sylar's skin. Ando, Daphne, and Matt look for a way to save Hiro in the past. Daphne swipes the formula from Mohinder, who's still trying to cure himself, and Ando injects it into him. He has a power now. Of course, his power turns out to be the red lightning shown in the future. Not to worry, for Ando's ability has the useful gift of supercharging heroic abilities. In the case of Matt, it extends his mindreading. With Daphne, she can go fast enough to bend time. Time to retrieve Hiro. In the past, Hiro uses his past self to get to the formula and confronted by his creeped father, he tears the formula in half, right when Daphne saves him, which is how the formula was split up in the first place. Hiro comes to the present to a happy Ando and Hiro is shocked to learn Ando is a hero now. He still needs to get the formula, so he and Daphne rush to retrieve it from Pinehearst. Peter is causing some major damage with the formula and Mohinder is trying to goad Peter to stop, saying that he's joining with villains, how could he? Hypocrite. Knox binds Nathan and kills Scott but Knox is froze-cut by Tracey. She's out for self-interest but her involvement with Nathan ends. Nathan fires her. Tracey tries to steal the formula but Hiro and Daphne intervene. For the second time, Hiro is called Pikachu. Funny. Both stop Tracey and take the formula. Hiro tears it up. It's gone. Flint, going rogue, wants to kill Mohinder but Peter won't let him. Flint sets the lab on fire while Mohinder gets a dose of the formula, curing him. Nathan walks in to try to kill Peter but he's stopped by the explosion. Still caring for his brother, Peter decides to inject himself with the formula and flies Nathan out of the explosion. If Peter has his original ability back or just flight, it's hard to say. Sadly, it's probably the latter. Nathan blows through Peter's heroics, Peter stopped a good thing from happening in Nathan's view. He's now the enemy. He flies away. Peter will regret saving him. At Primatech, Sylar uppes the game. After wasting Doyle and other villains, he injects Meredith with adreniline and traps her and Noah in a room where Meredith can't control her flames. Claire looks to save Noah and her and is successful in holding back their deaths. She and Noah walk away to find Angela, promising her mother she will come back for her. Angela is trapped by Sylar, looking for some revenge and some answers. Angela finally admits that she used Sylar and she didn't have his interests at heart. Of course not. She's not his mother. Hoping to stop Sylar from killing her, Angela reveals she knows who his real parents are. Sylar still wants to kill her. He's "killed" by Claire, stabbing glass in the back of his head. Like he's going to stay dead. In the meantime, Claire is moving away from her innocence. She goes back to save Meredith but it's too late. Meredith can't hold back her powers anymore. The building's going to blow. She tells Claire to get out. The building explodes, Claire, Noah, and Angela looking. Poor Claire. Her real mother's dead and her real father's gone evil. Mohinder escapes the Pinehearst explosion and walks away with a rogue Tracey. Nathan, he makes a final betrayal that cements him as the next villain. He betrays all the heroes. Why? If he can't select who heroes are anymore, he can eliminate all the heroes against him and the superpowered villains. Win, win. The world will be safe without the superpowered "freaks". He uses his senator position to inform the President, ironically in of current events is African-American, of current hero wherabouts. The heroes are to be hunted down and experimented on. Now that the formula future is gone, the first season future becomes a reality. Uh-oh. Even though the finale didn't feel extremely complete and a bit rushed, it brillantly sets up the next volume. The heroes face new issues. In a X-Men-ish scenario, they will be branded as freaks, traitors and threats, be exposed to the normal world as such, become isolated and abused. There are very few actual human main characters anymore with Ando and Mohinder aquiring powers. Hiro and Ando are still friends but there will be tensions with Ando's new powers and there's no guarentee Ando won't be corrupted. Will Hiro get a power again? Claire will move away from her more-innocent self. Peter is now the only normal person in the relative Petrellis and I think he will have to face, even kill Nathan. And the heroes will have to band together if they are to survive this hunt. Heavy stuff. Hopefully, Season Three Part Two will deliver.
  • Hmm weird

Well, I was crazy to watch it, but it disappointed me as a finale.

First of all, I hated that Meredith died. Why the hell they do that? it is sad :(

Second of all, I want Hiro to have his power back, come one, whats the good thing if he doesnt? He is one of the main character, it sucks if he doesnt have it.

And Nathan becomes the villan? Oh come on, thats a bit pathetic.

I thought Sylar was suppose to be good now and all and he ended as a bad guy again.

I think the story was perfect, but it seemed to me as they finished it before they should.

I think they should have had more some episodes and then finish.

Come on, the way Arthur died was also pathetic. I thought it would be some fights and all.
  • Oh dear, it's not getting any better...

I have to say that I never thought it possible to be so bored by people constantly saving the world, but I am, and I'm afraid that this episode did nothing to keep my interest.

Is it me, or have all the characters developed major bi-polar disorder this season? The writers need to look up the word 'consistency' and 'character development' in the tv writers bible.

And another thing - do these people ever talk or do anything other than save the world and avert major disasters from happening? Do they ever go down the shops, have a laugh (guys, get a sense of humor!) or do any normal stuff?

Anyone who thinks this is good TV really should get hold of some episodes of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' - they have plot, character development, humor, genuine emotion, seriously, check them out.

Why did I watch if I hated it so much? Well, last weeks episode was great, so I guess I was hoping for a miracle. All I got a craving for some normal dialogue and normal people!
  • Sylar holds a group hostage at Primatech. Nathan & Peter square off but it's not much of a fight. Peter joins two from level 5 to destroy the formula. Hiro and his buddies try to save the formula after he is able to survive his brush with Arthur.

I just don't know, like some here I'm starting to lose faith in this show. Since I like the show as much as I do I'll give it this next season to revamp some things and get this show right. I read the recent TV Guide mag and I'm glad to see that Kring is talking about changing certain ways they've been doing the show but I'm still nervous over the final product come next year.

This particular episode was very "meh" and it didn't keep my interest at all. I don't know what happened to the "Heroes" of season 1 but it seems that things are sliding downhill.

As others have stated I really don't care for the idea of them keeping characters around like they do; in particular Sylar. Sylar was bad *** in Season 1 but when they chose to drag him to this present day that "badness" has dissapated and the whole back n forth good guy bad guy deal just didn't appeal to me.

I didn't care for how it seemed the show contradicted itself. You had a panzy Suresh getting it handed to him, a Nathan who couldn't think to fly for some reason, cliche lines from Clair that felt empty & forced. The Hiro deal has gone silly and Ando's new power are a dissapointment. I hate the way to kill off some characters (Knox) but keep other washed out characters stringing along forever.

Well I'll see what 2009 has to offer with the first few episodes and if it doesn't deliver then I'm done.
  • Peter is forced to make a tough decision, Sylar decides to return to his old ways, and Ando tries something drastic to save Hiro.

I really liked this episode. We all knew that Peter was getting his abilities back, no matter how against the drug he was. Earlier in the season I had been expecting maybe some time traveling on Hiro's part to save Peter from his father, but that was obviously proven impossible. Now I'm wondering what will happen to Hiro. Hmm. Anyway, I didnt like Sylar turning back to "the dark side". I was hoping that he was Peter's brother and he would turn good, because i really like the whole brother dynamic in entertainment. And also, seriously? Did Sylar have to die like, two seconds before we found out who is real parents were? I was on the edge of my seat, excited to have it resolved, and then BAM, he dies. I had been hoping that Bennett would die in the whole dibacle. I mean that guy is a real jerk. But no such luck. He will survive to see another season.
  • heroes meets Saw who meets it's painful end..for the viewrs.

So it's over. Everybody is dead. Wussy peter has its powers back! yey! now he can save the world..or whatever he is doing. i'm not sure he has any idea either. nathan is the hard headed "illuminated" hero. finally he has seen the light. again! the misterious end with him in a limusine with mr. P left me a B-movie feeling. Everything is stealth and hidden. And of course, they killed the fun charachters. What can i say? Let's hope the next season won't be a boreee or else more people will quit watching and eventually it will be axed. bu hu... Oh and couldn't they .. throw some water on meredith or smth? WHATEVER!!
  • I tried to type out "Ando got his powers" and found that I couldn't do this without giggling maniacally. Huh.

I cheered. I laughed. I stopped breathing. And I finally did NOT scream at something stupid. Why? Because Heroes might FINALLY be BACK. Ando got his powers. Happiness like I have never known. A human battery is beyond awesome and so totally matches his character. I can't help but wonder what would happen if he used it on normal people. Probably would set their nervous system all out of whack and they'd die or something. It's so freaking cool.

We all know Sylar's not really dead, because Sylar cannot die. He is like Chuck Norris. Only, you know, not as invincible. It's great to see psycho Sylar. I've missed him so. I miss Elle, too.

AHAHA! Hiro is offically awesome for the Pikachu thing. I really have nothing else to say except the following: HRG, I love you no matter what, Claire... nice job. There, I said it. I'll miss Meredith, I will. Ha ha, Eric Doyle. Ha. Nathan, shut up, Peter, I kind of love you now, and finally, WHY is SURESH still ALIVE???

Til next year, everyone.
  • Finally, the last episode of the season, and I couldn't be more psyched for it.

Finally, the last episode of the season, and I couldn't be more psyched for it. Warning, spoilers contained below.

So we get a little bit of a different start this time around as Sylar does the opening monologue, nice touch I thought, given the current circumstances and it being the final episode of the season. Early on we see Sylar taking on an almost Saw like role, trapping Claire, Noah, Meredith and Angela so as to play with them and make them monster's like they made him. One thing for sure about this episode, the writers made it pretty intense. Sure the Saw like connection might have been a bit of a rip off, but it worked very well with the story line, and it was very interesting to watch. So it seems Ando has some sort of super charging power, which he can use to make others powers stronger. I thought volume three ended brilliantly, still left some characters in play, but at least some were killed off. Now we just have to hope they are gone for good, so we can move on and see how things continue in the next chapter. In the peak at the volume to come, we see that Peter's choice to save Nathan was a bad idea, as Nathan plans to round up all the people with powers and lock them away. How I wonder though, as how can normal people lock up such powerful beings? Well, I guess we will find out, and I can't wait.
< 1 2