Heroes

Dual

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Dec 15, 2008 on NBC

• Action packed episode with so much in store.

Sylar locks down Claire, HRG, Meredith and Angela at the company seeking out revenge on Angela and for answers. Claire knows how to stop Sylar by hitting the spot in the brain to paralize him/shut him down.
    HRG lets out the inmates in a bid to lure Sylar. Sylar injects Meredith with Adrenaline causing her powers to go out of whach forcing HRG to take action which he doesn't. Sylar reaches Angela and gets the answers he was looking for that she's not his mother and that she thinks he is weak but knows where his birth parents are. He attempts to kill her but Claire saves the day.

Peter powerless uses his brain for once knocks Nathan out and gets Flint to help him destroy the formula. Knox is on Peter's side and holds Nathan hostage till the formula gets destroyed. Peter and Mohinder get into a fight but Flint saves Peter. Eventually Knox gets taken out by Tracy with Nathan telling her he fires Tracy from her job. Nathan goes on the rampage on Peter. Flint flames down the formula leaving Peter with no choice but to take the formula. He flies Nathan out of danger and the brothers part on bad terms with Nathan being a villain.

Ando injects himself with the forma and becomes the battery charger for Heroes with gifts. He with Daphne bring back Hiro frm the past while Hiro tries to destory the paper but ends in 2 halves.

Ends with Tacy leaving with Mohinder.

Over all full of everything but lacked emotion. Sylar at his best hope we get to see this evil side more often. Peter as always Rocked using his brains. Heres to the next volume.
  • This is it, ladies and gentlemen... The chance for this show to redeem itself after it has fallen off the wagon of bad scripts and plots.

And so, it did; this season finale truly knows how to wrap things up. In this episode, Sylar being the evil genius like Jigsaw from the Saw movies, had his short moments of glorified villainy. Excessive characters finally died and/or suffered a humiliating moment. Knox (the black guy who gets stronger when people are scared) frozen to death by another unnecessary character, Tracy (who look like Nikki/Jessica/Gina/Barbara). Next thing you know, her plans not only got ruined by Daphne and Hiro, she also got punched in the face! (A moment when Tracy-haters rejoiced) Who could possibly forget about Nathan and Peter, the 2 brothers who always clashed with their own beliefs and other sibling rivalry crap. Finally, the roles of our lovable Japanese duo Hiro and Ando has taken a good ol' switch-a-roo; When Hiro lost his powers in the past, Ando gained a unique ability!
  • A great installment of Heroes which brings Volume 3 to a very confusing end.

After last week's fantastic episode, I thought that Heroes would once more start to slip but I was wrong. This episode was great and despite the many pointless deaths, it felt like it was finally going back to the season one it once was. In this episode Nathan and Peter battle over what to do with the formula. As always I was unenthused with Milo Ventimiglia's acting, as it seems to comprise of a lot of lip pursing and panting. However I have always loved Nathan and even though I hate to see him becoming the villain, he is still one of my favourite characters. Nathan ending volume three by giving the names of all known heroes around the world to the president of the united states and telling him he wants them rounded up and locked away. This perfectly sets up volume four, fugitives and Heroes will definately be going back to it's old formula. However this storyline left many questions. Why did Nathan give up Tracy Strauss as a hero even though they claim to be friends? Why did he give up Mohinder if his power is cured? Has he contracted another one? We'll find out in the new year though and I can't wait. Meanwhile in the heroes world Angela, Claire, Noah and Meredith were trapped inside Primatek by Sylar who wants to show them all that they are villains like him. This was probably the most interesting storyline of the episode, reminding me more of a horror film than a part of this show. I thought that Angela was destined to bite the dust in this episode but actually it was...Sylar! Yes, even though it hasn't been confirmed and it will probably come to nothing by the new year, in this episode it seems that Claire has killed Sylar. She figured out that she can disable his ability by giving him a jab in the back of the neck, which would sever the connection to his brain. It seemed to work and shortly after the building burned to the ground taking Sylar, Meredith, Doyle and plenty of other people with it. This storlyine reminded me so much of the season one formula that it actually made me excited, although I still wish that Doyle hadn't been killed, he was an awesome villain. I have to go into a rant here though for the first time in the review. I have said it before that the deaths in the show are always pointless as they only happen to people who heal seconds later (Noah, Claire, Peter and Sylar to name a few). So I have this warning for the Heroes writers. Even though Sylar was a great villain and one of my favourite characters, I do not want to see him back again. Too many people have cheated death in this show and for a main character to actually die with no strings attatched is something that is neccesary in a show that deals with action and danger. So R.I.P Gabriel Grey, you deserve it. The other storyline in this episode featured Ando, Matt and Daphne trying to rescue Hiro from the past. I loved the moment were you realised that it was Hiro's involvment in the past that had caused the formula to be seperated into two pieces. George Takei was also class in this episode, playing the scary samarui guy. I want more of him, even though he is clearly dead in the present. Ando's power was also a good moment in the episode. His new ability apparantly enhances the abilites of other Heroes, causing Daphne to move faster and Matt to be able to hear people's thoughts from further away. However this is all coming too close to the future where Ando kills Hiro so I can't wait to see more of this development in volume four. And that brings us to the end of volume three. Sylar could be dead, Nathan has sold out his fellow heroes, the formula is destroyed and Ando has a new power. I can't wait for January, which is looking to be the best month of the year with the return of Heroes, Fringe and Lost. I love 2009.
  • Peter seeks to destroy the formula while Nathan tries to protect it; Sylar plays a deadly game of cat and mouse with Noah, Claire, Angela and Meredith at Primatech; Daphne, Matt and Ando attempt to rescue Hiro from the past, and Ando receives an ability.

The writers have decided to give the people what they want - lots and lots of Sylar. In his storyline the tension takes off from the beginning and does not let up. Zachary Quinto's return to good old evil Sylar began last week with some great scenes, but in this episode he is all the way back and badder than ever. The comedy trio of Matt, Daphne and Ando are spot on once again and it will be nice to see more of them in the next volume. The battle at Pineheart was action packed - don't blink or you might miss somebody getting smoked. Nathan embracing the dark side is a nice change and made his character more interesting. The volume was wrapped up very nice and neat, and was very pleasing to this viewer. And omigosh, Fugitives is looking very dark and very good. That month and a half seems like an eternity.
  • Peter finally gets his powers back!!!!! Also The title fits the episode. A very action packed episode with brother against brother, ,Mohinder, Hiro, and Sylar against Claire and her. Ando gets his power!!!

This was a really good touch to the end of volume 3!!!! I think that the fact that most problems that were solved was a great thing. Ando got his power , and it is indeed very cool , there is no more formula , Peter has a power , Angela is Sylar's momma and Arthur is really dead. I personally thought this was one of really great episodes in Heroes history so far. We saw a sneak at Volume 4 , and may I say **** OMG , is this really happening to our Heroes? How can Nathan go against his own ? This is definetely turning to the future we saw in season 1 episode 20 " Five Years Gone" Dual was a very thrilled up epiode and one of my new favorites , and also one of the best!!!!!!
  • Villians comes to a satisfactory end.

So we all have heard about how Heroes is going down. Well, I have to agree. Season 2 was lackluster, and volume 3 was messy. But at least it has a good ending. Everything seemed to resolve itself and I think its setting up for something good next volume. The writers are acknowledging that the show is downhill, and are trying to turn it around. This episode does some of that. Sylar is himself, a cold-blooded killer. Meredith dies, Knox dies, and Flint may or may not be dead. Sylar gets a shard of glass in the back of his head (loved that nice little touch), but we all know he'll be back next volume

I'm holding out for Heroes.
  • It's a great volume finale!

I loved it! February seems so distant. I can't wait for the new volume to begin.
    So, we've seen Meredith, Knox, Flint and Sylar dying. Sylar is the only one who can still live but only if someone gets the glass out of his head (I wonder who that might be).
    Peter got his powers back! That's so great! Nathan has gone crazy. He told everything about them to the President. It seems like the volume 4 is going to be so great! They're going to be on a run, escaping the government. The Volume 4 preview seems interesting. We can see a bunch of soldiers (looking like S.W.A.T. team) who are capturing people with abilities.
    It's going to be so great, can't wait! :)
  • wow...what an amazing end to this volume!

Dual is an amazing episode for many reasons such as for one, Sylar is back to being the sick and sadistic sadistic jerk that has made him who he is and one of the most intense characters of all time. Also, Peter finally sees how much of a power hungry dirtbag his brother truly is. Third, although i originally disliked the idea, Ando has a power now and he goes back in time with Daphne to save Hiro from the past. Heroes is an amazing show and i cant wait to see what we have in store for the heroes in volume four!
  • Lines drawn in the sand.

This just gets more interesting and challenging. The big question is still who's right and who's wrong. Which side is the good side and on the right path. We see strength in several of our Heroes. Claire, Peter, Daphne and Matt. Ando makes a choice but is it the right one or will it cost him his life. Suresh, seems cured, but will it be permanent and at what price. Nathan and Peter are on opposite sides but are their motives in the right place. Tracy having her own adgenda begins a new recruitment phase. Sylar is a force to be reckoned with but is he the basis for decisions being made. It will be interesting to see how our Heroes and Villians continue to unravel.
  • There was a moment towards the end of "Dual", where the writers could have laid the foundation to a more exciting future for this ailing show. Regrettably, and no doubt to its ultimate peril, they declined.

As Peter injected himself and flew Nathan from the burning Pinehearst, the point which Nathan has been striving to make towards the end of the last few episodes was vindicated. In the right hands, giving people powers CAN be used to do good and, as Nathan had said earlier, "don't we have an obligation to help the world?" The writers could have embraced this moral dilemma through this one scene, as Nathan yells at Pete "why'd you do it!" Sadly, however, Peter replied with a somewhat bemusing "because you're my brother", and therein any hope that the show might graduate from a teenage target audience evaporated. The writers seem content with their rather superficial vein of melodrama, and display little ambition of rising above it.

Despite what Mohinder may profess during his philosophical nonsensical narratives each week, the line between good and evil is actually pretty definitive in "Heroes". We are force-fed things in black and white, and no thought or consideration will ever be given us as to the fact these boundaries might cross. The majority of the characters in Heroes blindly go about their stories swept along wherever the plot might decide to take them, with little to no depth or thought afforded to their actions.

Nathan however, has tended to buck this trend, his character compassionate and more complex. It was my opinion that Nathan was the "Hero" of the show's first season; a frequently troubled and conflicted character, it was ultimately the good in him that took the decision to save New York. Amidst a third season where a profusion of cardboard characters have inexplicably changed sides from one episode to the next, Nathan has remained as one of its more thoughtful and interesting contributors. It would seem from the preview of volume 4, that he too has now been tossed on the scrap heap to serve as another plot device. Shame.
  • Good, not great. Expected, not surprising.

Trying hard to hang on...I loved this series from the beginning and still love the "idea" of this series and what it can be. But I am so disappointed in this season it is getting harder and harder to hope for a clever revival.
    This episode was good, I think as good as it could have been considering the muck that has come before it. They have a couple of months now to figure out where they went astray and maybe bring us some juicy stuff in February. I am afraid if they do not, it may mean the end, and I would hate for that to happen.
  • wow....simply wow......(spoiler alert)

Heroes still amazes me from episode to episode, and this was really pure, showed us what heroes means, and what will it become. Everything in this episode was perfect, when i watched it, i didnt believe how it possibly finished so fast, its was fully packed with everything from suspense to action, and everything a show needs. Hopefully and im really sure that the next volume will be perfect, because making the main hero's brother the villain...thats really a great approach. And dont worry guys, sylar aint dead, he will never be unless he doesnt want to act in the show anymore:p. THE 2 main characters in this show to me are peter and sylar, they both represent good and evil, and the others are like companions lets say. I really also wish hiro gets his power back, it really suits him. Anyway the episode was really greatly written unbelievable how they wrapped everything up in one episode, it was really hard.... A great achievement really...
  • Very riveting.

It is quite obvious that Heroes is on an upward swing. The show is getting better and better. To see Nathan and Peter at odds with Nathan turning into his father. I feel Peter will have to stop him using whatever means possible so that the future will not happen. Clair has come along way since season one. She is no longer afraid to kill. She put a stop to Sylar, or did she. You can not keep a good villain down. When she witnessed her mother die, in my personal opinion this is what finally pushed her to do what she needed to do to stop Sylar. Now Aldo has power. Question is, will be a hero or become the Aldo of the future and kill Hiro. Imagine poor Hiro facing his father who naturally did not recognize him as his son from the future. Thinking he was a thief fought him with a sword to keep the formula. Just as his father was about to kill him, Daphne shows up and saves him.

Hiro, with help of Daphne destroy the formula and Nathan fires Tracy. I do not feel this will set too well with her. Knowing her she will plot some sort of revenge.

This episode was exciting without any boring scenes. This is exactly why I (along with many others) tune in to watch this show. There are so many twists and turns like when Sylar learns he was just being used by Angela. He could have a happy nobody, but Noah and Elle turned him into this. Who are his real parents? He died before he got a chance to find out. This is the best science friction drama I have seen in years.
  • The Company goes out in a blaze of glory as Nathan finally turns against his own kind.

The most pivotal volume on Heroes myth arc distracts its audience with a formula, the level 5 villain's scape and an eclipse that allowed - among others - an epic Sylar/Elle love affair. However the very point Future!Peter shot Nathan to stop back at the volume's premiere takes shape in front of out eyes as Nathan himself starts the very government program to hunt people with abilities seen on "The Second Coming" and "I am become death", as riveting the episode was that we never saw the 5YG future was about to become a reality just as soon as Nathan would realize his formula-designed-army to control these people was an utopia. And so it begins volume 4, with both Primatech & Pinehearts burnt to the ground as their sole heir sells his kindred, kindred that weren't his to begin with and would've never been should Angela Petrelli never used the formula to give abilities to his eldest son: Nathan Petrelli has finally turned against his own kind.
  • Sylar vs HRG, Meredith, Claire, Angela, and more! Ando, Matt, and Daphne try to rescue Hiro before his own father cuts him down! Nathan and Peter chose their sides.

After a run around of a season, it finally began to pick up when The Eclipse began and this one finale was AMAZING! Sylar is back to doing what he always does, being the Villian, and terrorizing the Heroes. Trapping, murdering, and best of all, presenting some truly powerful moral dilemas for the characters trapped inside Primatech, Sylar shows his true colors in a very epic finale. Peter and Nathan's dilema culminates and shows them both who they really have become on the inside, two brothers now divided and living on the opposite sides of the picket fence. The fate of many characters hang in the balance, both their lives and their abilities, as we move closer and closer to the future that the Heroes have been trying to stop since Five Years Gone. This episode is the second greatest episode, IMO, to be put on screen, and gives Company Man a run for its money.
  • Volume 3 ends with the most unexpected of villains and the future reverts to that of season 1.

There's a pattern with the recaps – it often shows things that weren't actually in the episodes. It's usually little things but every now and then it's something big. It's obvious why they do it, to let things be elaborated so the recap explains better if someone missed the previous episode itself. Heroes is done as a serial drama, after all. Here are two of the more blatant examples – 1/ Matt never told the guy at the courier service they needed the sketchbook to find Hiro and Ando didn't show him the comic! 2/ Mohinder never told Arthur to touch the vat and never explained about changing the formula 'on a molecular level'. It was obvious when we watched it but for the recap it has to be explained. This isn't a bad thing but it is a little disorienting sometimes, making you wonder if you actually missed it in the episode itself.

Sylar does the voiceover this time and it's a truly great one.

Peter sits with his dead father, gun in hand as Nathan walks in. Peter actually aims the gun at Nathan but could never, ever pull the trigger, he'd kill himself first. Instead he knocks Nathan out.

Sylar goes after 'Mommy' and locks everyone in the Primatech building. It's time for a little game playing, thanks Angela. It's an odd choice how they split up, shouldn't it be one offensive power, one passive rather than pairing the two defensive powers together? As well as Bennet, who can take care of himself, with Meredith who's a flamethrower? What does Meredith need a gun for?!

Peter gets help from unexpected allies in Flint and Knox who selfishly don't want their powers to become commonplace and Peter's not about to object. Knox also kills the only marine injected so far. The look on Nathan's face is hilarious, "YOU'RE working for Peter?"

Matt, Ando and Daphne go to Suresh's loft to get the serum and since he's obviously at Pinehearst, Daphne goes to get it. Ando hopes to become a time traveler to save Hiro but we already know his power: red electricity. It's how he killed Hiro in the future. Daphne actually suggests an amazing truth, one that honestly never occurred to me: several people got the power they dreamed of or reflects who they are: Nathan's love of freedom: flight; Claire's need for security: healing; Claude's desire not to be noticed: invisibility; Matt's desire to help people and a love of truth: telepathy; Daphne couldn't even walk: super-speed.

Personally I would have tried for the window, but Hiro manages to pull himself onto the roof.

Sylar offers Claire a deal, they can walk if Claire kills Angela. He's always craved attention and a family who loved and accepted him, Angela used that, gave him a mother and brother to love then he found out it was lie. I'd be homicidal too. I loved Sylar and Peter as brothers, they were so sweet together and Angela did ruin it! Not even knowing the future, Sylar pegs Claire as a killer - how does he see it in her but no-one else does?

There are times I wonder if Bennet is even sane! He releases the level 5 prisoners including Doyle, someone they have zero power against! He intends using them as bait for Sylar, as a distraction so they can get to him. He better pray they don't turn on him too. Doyle does well against Sylar until Sylar fights back. They're well matched, we've seen Doyle control three people simultaneously, however, Sylar has a considerable range of abilities and part of his power has always been to control them better than their owners, making him truly formidable. The only person who's ever really stopped him was Peter.

Sylar easily traps Bennet together with Meredith who is about to blow. It's payback for Bennet making him a killer, it's hard to blame Sylar for wanting revenge. Sylar could have continued to be a complete nobody but Bennet showed him how Special he was by making him kill. Again Bennet shows his unique knowledge of the powers around him, like he did with Ted and the EMP, and tells Meredith how to use her power to weaken the glass. That shard of glass Claire pulled out of herself looked like the one that killed Peter. Meredith cannot stop the buildup of her power which can only lead to an explosion.

I love Nathan to pieces but there are times when he is so arrogant and condescending about Peter, I want to hit him! He says everyone always backs Peter but he always lets everyone down! Since when?! Peter's not the one trying to destroy the world! All Peter's life, he's helped people, even before he had powers, people believe in him because he's good and true. Nathan is easily influenced, just like Peter accused him of being, a puppet. Knox picks up his fear but gets too close, Nathan is not someone to underestimate. Tracy kills Knox without even a shred of remorse, only a quip – she's every inch the killer Jessica was. Guess it runs in the family, I can't wait to meet Barbara, what is she? A serial killer?! As always, what fantastic taste Nathan has in women (the obvious exception being Heidi, she was a sweetheart).

Ando's power has a surprise component – it gives a temporary but incredibly powerful jump to a person's power! Ando and Daphne manage to go back for Hiro – which is how the formula gets torn in two. Yet again, history doesn't change. However, Hiro and Daphne manage to get the formula from Tracy and destroy it.

Tracy is the perfect politician – she tries to convince Nathan to grab the formula and run but she doesn't know him at all. Nathan never runs from a fight and he won't leave without confronting Peter. Peter and Flint's destruction of the lab lets Mohinder get covered in the formula, healing him. Nathan has gone insane!!! He didn't just hit Peter twice, he was going to kill him!! I never thought I'd see the day Nathan would actually hurt Peter! Flint starts a fire that separates Peter and Nathan but traps Nathan. Peter finds an unbroken dose of the formula and takes it. Peter can fly again, saving Nathan! "Why'd you save me?" "Because you're my brother and I love you." "It's not what I would have done." He's turned into Arthur and he's turned against the person he loves most in the world.

Sylar finishes toying with everyone else and goes for his real target, Angela. She admits everything, she's not his mother, she needed his skills but she does know who his real parents are. Angela plays a dangerous game, holding out. Claire stabs Sylar in the back of the head with the glass, just like with Peter. Meredith holds on as long as she can but explodes the building.

Volume 3: 'Villains' is complete and Pinehearst destroyed, but is the future fixed? The answer? No.

Volume 4: 'Fugitives': Three weeks later, Nathan goes to the president and exposes everyone! By preventing the alternate timeline, it's reverting to the original history!!! Where Nathan turns against his own kind and starts rounding people up!! Sylar made this exact accusation in the future to Peter who called him a liar but it's actually true. Nathan really is the bad guy.

I am heartbroken. I cannot believe Nathan would do this.
  • This show really shined. Great gateway into Fugitives, and wrapped up most loose ends while still leaving enough question to leave us thirsty for more.

I thought this was an excellent episode. It completely reminded me of the first season. It left us with questions. How are Hiro and Ando going to exist now that Ando has powers and Hiro doesn't? Plus knowing the future of what happens to them. Is Meredith and Sylar really dead? What's going to happen with Mohinder? Lots of great twist endings. It was good to see evil Sylar back, and Claire and Noah working together again. Good to see Mohinder return to normal and Peter regain his powers. I thought it accomplished so much in a mere hour. Great show, looking forward to fugitives. Plus, I'm happy Michael Dorn is playing the president. Great casting.
  • Peter destroys the lab, regains his ability and saves Nathan. Sylar finds out that Angela knows who his parents really are. Daphne and Ando save Hiro from the past and help destroy the formula. Nathan still decides to carryout his own agenda.

This was good episode, but there were a few things that probably frustrated many viewers. Probably the most ambiguous scene was when Ando and Daphne went back in time to save Hiro. It was not really explained how Daphne could run fast enough to save Hiro and how were they able to come back to the present. Another disappointing part was when Nathan switched allegiances and decides to round up people with abilities. Thats sounds like a good plot, but why would Nathan go through a drastic character change? Couldn't be another individual in which people abilities ruined their lives and wanted to get revenge? That would make a heck a lot more sense. And to clear up Peter getting his powers back, instead of getting a random one. Peter had his ability of absorbing powers naturally. So by injecting the formula, he merely re-activated his ability.
  • Better than I thought it would be. I think it sets up nicely for an interesting 4th chapter. Plus if I'm going to berate them when I think they're bad, I should also praise them when I think they're good.

I have to admit, things resolved nicely in this episode, though I did hate to see Claire's birth mother die. At the same time it wasn't that surprising either as they tended to kill people left and right in this one. Ando now has a power which fits him. If you think about it, he's been Hiro's sidekick since the beginning. So what's his power? Basically a sidekick power, the ability to help those who already have abilities. Because of that their able to save Hiro and bring him back to the present.

No surprise that the lab was destroyed. Though I was a bit surprised that there was no Captain America per-se, oh well. The Petrelli brothers may disagree but they're still brothers and now Peter has his powers back. And now it seem Nathan is going to institute the Mutant Registration Act.

While Sylar is once again down for the count I don't believe for a second he's dead, but we can always hope. Sorry, just don't like that character. I did like Mrs. Petrelli's explanation as to why she manipulated him. Totally in her character. Oh, and I was COMPLETELY surprised to see the African future painter alive. That's going to be an interesting explanation but one I want to see.

Yes, overall I did enjoy this episode. It had all of the drama, twists, and nuances that drew me to this show in the first place. I guess I'm going to have to keep watching because just when it seems I'm ready to leave, they draw me right back in. Can't wait till February.
  • This was a great ending before the big break.

This was a great ending before the big break, but it wasn't quite what I had expected. I thought that there would be a big fight between nathan and pete, and I kinda wish there would have been. I liked the way it played out but I think it would have been cooler to have had a big fight. I love how sylar held everyone captive in the building it was a great idea for the story line. I think that hiro's bestfriend has a sucky power. I would have hated to get it if I was him. It fits his charater but it's just not that cool it's like he is always a sidekick.
  • Nothing special...

I didn't know what to think after I had watched this episode... I thought there was going to be a more revealing episode, and an even more exciting episode than than this season finale... I have to say, "heroes" season finale's aren't that great in general either though... Throughout the seaso , I enjoyed the duality between the 'heroes' and the 'villains', but I thought that in the end, by the meanign of 'Dual' that there was going to be a fight between these two different types of parties... I was disappointed. For some strange reason I always thought that there was going to be a major fight between Sylar, Tracy, Knox etc... against Peter, Noah, Matt, Hiro etc... but I guess not.. Hopefully in later seasons.
    Here's for Volume Four!
  • The Season Finale of Heroes

Peter and Nathan find themselves on different sides with different intentions.
    Claire, Angela, Meredith and Noah are taken hostage at Primatech by the very confused and monstrous Sylar.
    Hiro is still stuck in the past while Matt, Ando and Daphne attempt to save him and bring him back to the present. It's the season finale of Heroes and by the end of the episode I wanted more.
    I felt like the cast and crew did a great job with the plot of the episode but I didn't feel like it was better than the other episodes.
    And yet another cliff hanger (Oh how much I hate cliff hangers)
    'SPOILERS'
    From the start of the season till now, a lot of the 'heroes' have turned sour, especially Nathan. And I thought that Claire, Noah, Angela and Meredith getting stuck in Primatech with Sylar responsible was like another Saw movie.

Don't get me wrong, I love Heroes but this episode just had a lot of cons.

In conclusion, Dual was an 'ok' episode and I can't wait for season 4!!!!

HEROES RULZ!!!
    PEACE OUT!!!
  • Hmm… don't know about you guys but 'Dual' left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

Hmm… don't know about you guys but 'Dual' left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Loeb's script suffers from the weight of fall finale expectation: the script attempts to tidy up too many narrative strands that have built over the course of the last thirteen episodes. Resultantly, certain aspects of the plot aren't given enough space to breathe and fall rather flat in their resolution: case in point, the retrieval of the formula which is as simple as 1-2-punch, lights out Tracey Strauss. Given the importance lent to this particular strand in the preceding episodes, it seems to deserve more than simply a thirty second quick-fire outcome. Ando and Daphne's rescue of Hiro also makes no scientific sense whatsoever, despite the script's attempts to make it do so (Einstein's theory relates to travelling forward in time, not backward). And then, of course, there's Nathan's volte-face, his complete and utter rejection of his beloved brother who, despite inexplicably turning a gun on him at the start of the episode, still demonstrates his love by injecting himself with that ruddy formula and saving his life. Again. Look, I'm all for the conflict; really, I am. It just needs many, many more episodes of build up, much more time to get to the stage of all out resentment that it currently sits at. It smacks far too much of a set-up: the movement of narrative pieces so that they are correctly positioned for the next wave of story. And, at episode's end, we find that it is exactly that: oh look, Nathan's only advocating a hero Holocaust… to the President, no less! What a cad! Okay, okay, I'll back down… I confess, Fugitives certainly does seem interesting and definitely shows promise. But meh… I just don't really like how we got there. Best part of 'Dual'? Sylar's delicious manipulation of the most dysfunctional family never to have set foot on The Jeremy Kyle Show. This is brilliantly suspenseful stuff, chillingly claustrophobic and full of cold, hardened malice, and harkens back to the wonderfully executed sequences between Sylar and Claire in the opening episode of the volume. I loved every eerie second (well, except for that bit about Sylar's parents being some other freaks… honestly, can't we have a bit of straightforward honesty in this show?) and it almost makes up for the somewhat lacklustre nature of the rest of the episode. Almost.
  • Season Three hits the halfway point

After a somewhat promising start to the third season, the midway point has been reach and it now competes with season two for the worst season of all time. The characters are overacting their roles and the show has no direction. This portion was supposed to be about bad guys. How about a couple of flashbacks showing the bad guys struggle with their powers? Or what happened when they first got them. We never really learned anything about any of the characters. The finale was split up into multiple parts. The part with Pinehearst and Nathan and Peter was kind of boring and all it was was Peter destroying the lab. The part with HRG, Claire, and Company inside level five was just random. Sylar locks them in and tells them that they cannot go anywhere. It looks like he could seriously dead this time, stabbed in the back of the head and burned to death in the building. The final scene was interesting at least. Nathan wanted to give the world powers and now he wants to take them all away. It's a powerful character switch in just a couple of weeks but maybe we will see what brought about this change in Nathan. Season 3.5 + looks to be better, but so did the beginning of this season.
  • Finally, the last episode of the season, and I couldn't be more psyched for it.

Finally, the last episode of the season, and I couldn't be more psyched for it. Warning, spoilers contained below.

So we get a little bit of a different start this time around as Sylar does the opening monologue, nice touch I thought, given the current circumstances and it being the final episode of the season. Early on we see Sylar taking on an almost Saw like role, trapping Claire, Noah, Meredith and Angela so as to play with them and make them monster's like they made him. One thing for sure about this episode, the writers made it pretty intense. Sure the Saw like connection might have been a bit of a rip off, but it worked very well with the story line, and it was very interesting to watch. So it seems Ando has some sort of super charging power, which he can use to make others powers stronger. I thought volume three ended brilliantly, still left some characters in play, but at least some were killed off. Now we just have to hope they are gone for good, so we can move on and see how things continue in the next chapter. In the peak at the volume to come, we see that Peter's choice to save Nathan was a bad idea, as Nathan plans to round up all the people with powers and lock them away. How I wonder though, as how can normal people lock up such powerful beings? Well, I guess we will find out, and I can't wait.
  • I'm sorry but this was a great finale!

Outstandingly good special effects, the menacing Sylar getting heroes on lockdown, the surprisingly calm Angela, Hiro "K.O.ing" Tracey, the heart-breaking exit for Meredith, Ando gaining awesome powers and Mohinder isnt ugly anymore all are contributing factors that made this the best IMHO volume ender - not finale remember! - Heroes has ever done.

Volume 1 lacked a Sylar/Peter fight & Volume 2 had not enough action scenes but Volume 3 had everything from Daphne runing into the past to Hiro being called Pikachu! Well Done and doesnt Volume 4 look promising but when did Nathan turn into such a baddie?
  • It's not better than Season 1 finale. But I still like this one.

The idea of burning Primatech and Pinehearst down seemed ridiculous and were coincidentally done by the fire-powered siblings. This can only mean that the next volume will be better and organization-free. This episode keeps me wondering what happened to the injected soldier, Meredith and Hiro's ability. There are a few questions that confuse me, however.

1) Every time a Hero or Villain got shot, there was so many blood on the floor. Is that even necessary? Arthur got shot. But how come there could be so much blood poured out from 1 wound?

2) Why the villains Arthur and Doyle remind me of the famous author of Sherlock Holmes?

3) Ando knew how to imitate Hiro's facial expression in order to time travel. He even taught the amnesiac Hiro to. Why should he still act like he doesn't know?

4) This is the most interesting one. I watched this episode twice. I discovered that the formula that splashed on Mohinder had no catalyst. Arthur put his hand onto a transparent container, and then got killed. He didn't manage to insert the catalyst into the bigger one. In spite of all these, I will still give this episode a 10. Wishing for a better one in Volume 4.
  • Nathan and Peter face off in Pinehearst while Sylar locks down at Primatech Claire, Angela, Meredith and Noah. Matt, Ando and Daphne try to rescue Hiro who is stuck in the past 16 years ago and the sotry arc of Villains comes to a shocking finale.

The last chapter of volume 3 closes all loosed ends and opens up new stories for the fourth volume entitled "Fugitives". Matt, Ando and Daphne reach Isaac's loft (and Mohinder's lab for this volume) in order to retrieve the formula and give Ando an ability that could save Hiro who is stuck in the past sixteen years ago. When they can't find anyone there, Daphne runs to Pinehearst and steals a vial with the formula. Returning, Ando injects himself with it and gains an ability; he can now supercharge others' abilities. Supercharging Matt, Matt can hear the thoughts of people in the entire city. Supercharging Daphne, Daphne is able to go just a split second back in time. Now, supercharging Daphne long enough both Ando and Daphne travel to the past sixteen years ago, where Hiro is. Meanwhile, Hiro gets off the pole he was hanging from and finds his child self. Together they find the formula as it was sixteen years ago. At that moment, Kaito finds them and tries to stop Hiro from destroying as he is its guardian. When Hiro tears the formula in half, Ando and Daphne appear and take him back to the present. Hiro tells them that he needs to destroy the formula and together with Daphne they head to Pinehearst where they take the formula from Tracy and destroy it.
    Nathan appears where Sylar killed Arthur and Peter is over his father's body. An argument between them ends up with Peter knocking Nathan off his feet. Then Peter leaves to destroy the formula and there he finds Mohinder ready to inject himself with it. When Peter tries to stop him, Mohinder attacks and at that point Knox and Flint appear. Appearantly, Knox and Flint don't want people gaining abilities as those who already have them will not be so special in the end. So they help Peter destroy Mohinder's lab. Knox leaves in order to keep Nathan put so he won't interfere in Peter's work but Tracy shows up and kills Knox by freezing and shuttering him. Tracy tries to put sense into Nathan so they can leave together from Pinehearst with the formula and start over but Nathan refuses. Flint and Peter pour the formula, which some of it ends on Mohinder which heals him. Nathan finds his brother and in the ensuing fight, Flint fires up the place. Peter injects himself with the last strain of the formula and gains an ability which allows him to fly off with his brother, before Pinehearst explodes. On the other side, Sylar locks down Angela, Noah, Claire and Meredith when they are heading off to Pinehearst. He informs them that he has killed Arthur and that he wants to make them show their monstrous self to each other. Sylar mentally tortures the four characters until Claire and Angela lock themselves in Angela's office and Noah with Meredith free the only three Level 5 prisoners from their cells; Eric Doyle (the puppetmaster), Danny Pile (the guy who could become steel) and Echo DeMille (with the ultra sound voice seen in webisode Going Postal). Danny and Echo are killed by Sylar (and we don't know if Sylar got their powers although it doesn't seem so). Meredith is attacked by Sylar but Eric tries to stop him who proves no match for our serial killer. He knocks down Eric and injects Meredith with adrenaline and puts her in a cell. Noah goes to her rescue but he is also locked with an adrenaline induced Meredith who can't seem to get control of her fire shooting power which keeps burning hotter and hotter. When Angela and Claire go to rescue them, Angela is taken by Sylar while Claire tries to help her father and her biological mother. Noah and Claire escape and go to save Angela from Sylar. Sylar is interrogating Angela using his newly gained ability of lie detection. With that, he finds out that Angela was using him because she needed someone with abilities and reveals to him that she knows where his parents are; his real parents. At a moment where Sylar gets angry and frustrated, Claire stabs Sylar at the back of his head using a shattered glass and the lock down comes to an end. With Angela and Noah leaving Primatech safe and sound, Claire makes one final attempt to save Meredith, but she tells her its futile. Claire leaves as well and an explosion leaves a knocked out Sylar inside and Meredith's life at stake. Exciting enough episode, it does seem like a volume finale but definitely not a season finale. The sneak peek of volume four shows a revengeful Nathan three weeks later giving to the USA President all the information he may need so he can put away people with abilities as they are a threat to humanity.
    Key facts: Sylar was stabbed and left in the fire. I didn't notice it the first time around. His fate is left on the balance. Eric was also inside Pinehearst another character we don't know if he has died. Enjoy!
  • I tried to type out "Ando got his powers" and found that I couldn't do this without giggling maniacally. Huh.

I cheered. I laughed. I stopped breathing. And I finally did NOT scream at something stupid. Why? Because Heroes might FINALLY be BACK. Ando got his powers. Happiness like I have never known. A human battery is beyond awesome and so totally matches his character. I can't help but wonder what would happen if he used it on normal people. Probably would set their nervous system all out of whack and they'd die or something. It's so freaking cool.

We all know Sylar's not really dead, because Sylar cannot die. He is like Chuck Norris. Only, you know, not as invincible. It's great to see psycho Sylar. I've missed him so. I miss Elle, too.

AHAHA! Hiro is offically awesome for the Pikachu thing. I really have nothing else to say except the following: HRG, I love you no matter what, Claire... nice job. There, I said it. I'll miss Meredith, I will. Ha ha, Eric Doyle. Ha. Nathan, shut up, Peter, I kind of love you now, and finally, WHY is SURESH still ALIVE???

Til next year, everyone.
  • Peter is forced to make a tough decision, Sylar decides to return to his old ways, and Ando tries something drastic to save Hiro.

I really liked this episode. We all knew that Peter was getting his abilities back, no matter how against the drug he was. Earlier in the season I had been expecting maybe some time traveling on Hiro's part to save Peter from his father, but that was obviously proven impossible. Now I'm wondering what will happen to Hiro. Hmm. Anyway, I didnt like Sylar turning back to "the dark side". I was hoping that he was Peter's brother and he would turn good, because i really like the whole brother dynamic in entertainment. And also, seriously? Did Sylar have to die like, two seconds before we found out who is real parents were? I was on the edge of my seat, excited to have it resolved, and then BAM, he dies. I had been hoping that Bennett would die in the whole dibacle. I mean that guy is a real jerk. But no such luck. He will survive to see another season.
< 1 2