Heroes

Five Years Gone

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Apr 30, 2007 on NBC

• Great

This episode was great. It showed how important it was, to stop Sylar and save the world. Everything was great, except for a few minor flaws. The first one is why the heck is Claire still alive? they can't leave her out of one episode. Anthor flaw is that Mohinder acted kind of out of character even for him. I mean i doubt he would ever do that to the people he was trying to help. But it has been five years, anyways i liked the battle between Sylar and Peter at the end. Man the future was bad, i mean Sylar as president
  • Award worthy episode...

This is the best episode yet. The writing on this was just brilliant, I had to watch it twice. I was transfixed from the moment it started. We get it here in Canada on two separate channels, one after the other, and I had to what them both. I could not believe the twist. Sylar imitating Nathan and taking over the running of the country... brilliant! It gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "Save the Cheerleader, Save the World." Keep writing like this and Heroes will be around for a long long long time. I smell the Golden Globes on this one. Excellent work!
  • Best One Of The Series!

I love this episode its my favorite one from the entire series. I loved Milo Ventimila in it and i loved Ali Larter. there was a few lines that i really liked and a few scenes i really got into like the scenees between Nik and Peter. I like how they still managed to tie in Jessica with Niki even though she was "gone" I wasnt a big fan of Matt in this episode though I like Matt as the sweet Matt. Zachary Quinto and Milo Ventimila's fight scene was amazing I love them both not to mention Zachary is a local boy for me. I watch this episode so much. I got a little teary eyed though when i heard that Micah died. But that was why i was so into the conversations between Niki and Peter. what more to say than this show rocks! great cast and great writing!
  • Hiro and Ando travel five years into the future at a destroyed and darker New York. The special people are hunted and killed, while President Nathan tries to put forward a plan that would rid the world of the special ones forever.

Set five years into the future (2010 I assume), our Heroes are very different from what we've seen so far. Niki is a stripper at a club in Nevada. Having got rid of Jessica, she has a romantic relationship with Peter and she has lost both her son and her husband DL at the explosion of New York five years ago.
    Peter is with Niki but is darker than the Peter we are used to. Having every available power there is (he is super powerful and super cool), he doesn't care about what has happened to New York and leaves a life in hiding from Nathan's (the President's) agents who are after everyone with abilities. When Hiro (of his time) visits him however he changes his mind and decides to everything possible to change the past and save the future.
    Matt is in Homeland Security working for the President. His wife and son (Matthew) are saved by Mr Bennet and kept in hiding. He holds blind devotion to the President's cause and he does not fear to use dangerous measures. When he arrests the Hiro from the past, he realizes he is not the terrorist he has been hunting down and goes after the Hiro from the future. The result is the death of future Hiro.
    Claire is in Midland Texas and is now a brunnette. She has a romantic relationship with a guy named Andy and they are ready to get married. Her stepdad visits her at the coffeehouse she is working as a waitress and advices her to leave (once again as she has done so many times before) because they (the President's men) have found out about her. She refuses to leave her life again and run which as a result ends in her captivity by Matt. The immediate result is that she dies by the hands of Sylar (who everyone thinks is dead).
    Mohinder is now the President's right hand concerning the plan to rid the world of all the special people. Mohinder still has his morals something that Nathan seems to be lacking. Mohinder however saves the day when he realizes that Hiro (the one that Matt has captured) is from the past and that what both Hiros are trying to do might be making sense and change the future. Finally, Hiro is considered a terrorist. Numerous killings has caused people to be afraid to go out in the streets. We are revealed that Ando has died in the explosion and his death has caused Hiro to become this dark person we have already seen in chapter 5:Hiros. He still continues with his plan to save the world by stopping Sylar (who in this future is thought to be the bomb) and thats why he appeared to the present Peter in chapter 5. Overall all this may sound confusing. This chapter actually makes more sense after you see the later volumes. How each character interracts with the rest is also sort of confusing. Key facts: Nathan unleashes or wants to unleash a programme that will kill all the special people (a little bit foreshadowing if you see volume 4). The shocking scene of Nathan and Claire is the one which makes this episode exciting so I am not going to ruin that for you. Also notice the revelation of Peter towards Niki about who the bomb might just be something that is important for the volume finale. Enjoy!
  • The future they thought they changed might not be far from happening..

Okay, so now that I've seen the finale of season three I decided to go back and watch everything. I just watched this episode last night and was reminded of a couple of things that I had forgotten. One things mainly. Nathan Petrelli was the president. Everyone knew about people with abilities because of the explosion. AND the fact that when Peter went to fight Nathan, we see that he's really Sylar. I guess I just wanted to mention that I like how small things from old episodes still tie in to everything that's happening in current episodes. So maybe the future they thought they changed isn't that far from happening. Maybe not the explosion, but the other things I mentioned.
  • Favourite

Hiro and Ando find themselves five years after the destruction of New York City. People with extraordinary abilities are labeled as terrorists and are being registered, hunted, and killed. Hiro and Ando meet up with darker versions of the other heroes in preparation for a showdown with the President. This include a darker side of Matt, a Jessica/Niki with a clear winner in their battle, a brown-haired Claire, future Hiro and a changed Sylar. This episode of Heroes is my favourite so far it looks like the future of our heroes looks grim for most of them Mr Bennet and Claire Bennet murdered as well as Nathan, D.L and Michah I think thats all of the dead characters and New York is gone It's a good job Hiro and Ando are going to save the city (Hopefully). This was a brilliant and exciting episode I think this will be the last episode of Heroes but with different events in it and the episode is the first episode to get ten out of ten.
  • Woah! I love this episode. Five years is a long time into the future though!

This episode focuses on Hiro and Ando traveling five years into the future, showing where the world will be if the explosion isn't stopped. Future Hiro, is featured more prominently, this time as the world's most wanted terrorist and a master of Battôjutsu. Ando was killed in the blast, which according to Peter, is the reason why Hiro lost his humorous side and became obsessed with changing the past.

Nathan Petrelli is now the President of the United States, with Mohinder Suresh as his Chief Medical Advisor and Matt Parkman as the head of Homeland Security with the Haitian at his side. Niki Sanders has become a stripper again, adopting "Jessica", as her stage name. Her son Micah was killed in the explosion that destroyed much of New York. Niki has a romantic relationship with Peter.

Sylar is blamed for detonating a nuclear explosion that destroys half of New York and kills millions of people, and is assumed to be deceased. In the original timeline, Hiro had stabbed him before the explosion, but Sylar had already succeeded in killing Claire Bennet at her high school Homecoming, absorbed her regenerative powers, and survived. However, this timeline was altered and did not actually occur, as Hiro had visited Peter with the message "save the cheerleader, save the world" and, consequently, Sylar was denied the ability of spontaneous regeneration. Nonetheless, the explosion did occur and, in reality, Peter was the cause of the blast in the alternative timeline. Nathan lied to the public to protect his brother, and blamed Sylar for the explosion.

Sylar was able to kill Nathan and impersonate him after killing Candice and acquiring her illusory ability. For him, the hunting and, eventually, extermination of other superpowered people is all part of his "eliminating the competition".

With Sylar disguising himself as Nathan, acting as President and exploiting public panic after the destruction of New York, persons with special abilities are now viewed with fear and suspicion and are subject to heavy persecution, with the Department of Homeland Security working to hunt down "unregistered" individuals in accordance with the "Linderman Act". Mr. Bennet and Hana Gitelman work to hide heroes and their families, giving them new identities and moving them to keep them safe. Mr. Bennet has made a secret bargain with Parkman, however, to turn over individuals with "dangerous" powers, while Parkman allows Mr. Bennet to continue helping others with "harmless" powers, including Parkman's own wife and son.

One of the individuals Mr. Bennet is hiding is Claire. She becomes a brunette and goes undercover as a waitress in Midland, Texas at the Burnt Toast Diner, the same place Charlie Andrews worked at, using her adoptive mother's name, Sandra. Parkman betrays Mr. Bennet after finding out that there are indeed two Hiros and one of them escaped him. Not wanting to face the President empty-handed, he extracts Claire's location from Mr. Bennet's mind, and then shoots his former ally. Parkman proceeds to capture Claire, and sends her to the Petrelli mansion in Manhattan. There Sylar, under the guise of Nathan, kills her and once again obtains her power in this alternative timeline.

Meanwhile, present-day Hiro has been captured by Parkman. When Nathan orders Mohinder to kill Hiro to begin his plan of genocide of the super-powered, Mohinder instead kills the Haitian and allows present-day Hiro to escape. Mohinder then shows present-day Hiro a new copy of Isaac Mendez's 9th Wonders! comic book (the same copy Isaac drew before being murdered in the previous episode), where Mohinder is shown injecting the Haitian.

When Peter, Future Hiro and Ando stage an attack to free present-day Hiro, Parkman calls the President to inform him that they're being repelled by Peter. Upon hearing this, Sylar, still disguised as Nathan, flies away in front of a crowd to whom he just gave a speech about the last five years, effectively revealing to them that he too is a super-powered individual. Sylar reveals himself to Peter and they prepare to battle. Peter generates fire with his hands, while Sylar surrounds his with ice.

When Mohinder demands that present-day Hiro go back to the past, the less-experienced Hiro states that he doesn't know how to get back to the correct date. Before Future Hiro can take his earlier self back in time himself, he is shot in the back by Parkman. As Future Hiro dies, he gives Ando a page of Isaac's comic book. As present-day Hiro expresses his shock at seeing his own death, Mohinder pushes Future Hiro's katana into his hands and tells him to go quickly. Hiro and Ando travel back to the past and look happily upon the undestroyed city before them. Hiro looks at the comic strip of him killing Sylar and says, "Now, the hard part".
  • Hiro and Ando go five years into the future, and find out what will happen if they don not stop the explosion.

This was one of the best episodes of the first season, and entire series, only a couple trumping it in the latter. Man was this episode a huge wake up for the characters of Hiro (Masi Oka) and Ando (guest star James Kyson Lee). Not only did it answer the question of what will happen if the explosion is not stopped, but it created a good sense of what would of happened to the characters if it happened. Many of the heroes died in the explosion including Micah and D.L. This leads to Niki (Ali Larter) to develop a relationship with Peter (Milo Ventimiglia). Five years older Hiro goes and asks Peter for help, and everything well just so well done. The story where Nathan (Adrian Pasdar) is trying to kill all, well, those with gifts, was amazing. Even making us not necessarily know that it was actually Sylar (guest star Zachary Quinto). Claire (Hayden Panettierre) is in hiding, and is a brunette. They created so many great story lines in one episode that reunited the characters from their failed attempt, and it was just amazing.
  • Great episode!!!!!!!!

I love this episode! Hiro is great! It really surprised me when Sylar (transformed into Nathan) revealed himself, killing Claire! Claire just said: Sylar! And the red line just crossed her head while "Nathan" transformed himself revealing his true identity! The future Hiro was so cool! Although I don't want that to happen to our Hiro cause I don't want him to be that serous! It's a great introduction to series finale and I loved the end! Sylar playing with the radioactive lights saying: Boom! Was that in this episode? I think it is! Anyway, it was a great episode and i love Heroes!!! EDIT: I recall now! That "boom" wasn't in that episode, it was in 22. episode! Sorry, my bad! :))
  • We see what the future would be like if the bomb had exploded.

We see what the future would be like if the bomb had exploded. The future we see is one that is very corrupt and bad. Things in the new future have gone horribly wrong, as the special people turn on each other and none of them are really safe. The new future also holds a surprise, as Sylar is still alive and can change his appearance as well. Basically the new future is as bad as things can get, Peter's brother is dead and Sylar was pretending to be him, Ando is also dead as well as a lot of other important people. But the future Hiro saw was for a reason, and part of the bigger picture as seeing the future helps him to gain his powers back and have more control of them. The episode really develops on Hiro's character, and I think we are in for a big finale soon.
  • "Should we freeze time?" "Nah, I haven't had a good fight in years." - Hiro Nakamura (future), Peter Petrelli (future)

• This is the most brilliant hour of tv I have ever watched.

So many suprises and pivotal moments.
    Best episode of the season for sure. Best episode of anything I have ever seen in fact.
    I am sure there will be many episodes to come that are very similar to this. This episode is the most important one of the show so far, so dont miss it.

Very good series, I am going to buy the dvd. Cant wait to watch season 2. Many great moments in this episode. The characters are the most important thing in the show. No other movie or tv series uses characters so well. There is also a lot of mystery in the show and thought provking moments. Nothing is tacky or overdone, everything is sharp, clean, simple yet complex. The show is actually perfect. The only thing I would change is give the soundtrack a bit more "oomph" I cant remember hearing much so I guess it is pretty minimal. Level it up a bit more and this would be the most perfect show in existence.
  • I know Hiro Can Do it!

Omg this episode left me wanting more and more, Hiro finds out he can only save the world if he kills sylar before watching himself in five years time die on the floor... ouch...also i loved how peter had Imense powers...Gosh hes my hero too ;) You find out so many people are dead, its shocking and this can only change if Hiro can complete his mission..Hiro i know you can do it!!!
  • A great look at what the future will be like if no one stops the bomb from exploding.

The episode “Five Years Gone” gives viewers a glimpse into the future, and shows what would happen if the bomb in New York City were to go off. Many of the character’s lives have changed greatly. Claire is now a dark-haired waitress in a small town in Texas, with a boyfriend who does not know her secret yet. Peter and Niki are now dating, while trying to hide their powers from the world. Hiro and Ando are still working to stop the bomb from exploding in the “past”. The main thing I got from this episode was Nathan Petrelli’s story arc. In it, he is shown as a hero after being the mayor of New York City and helping the city get through the trauma that was the bomb. This respect for him leads to him becoming the president of the United States. This shows why Nathan wants the bomb to go off, even though it will kill thousands of people: so he can gain more power. As newly appointed president, Nathan has started a sort of “cleansing” of all people who have special powers, even though he himself has a special power. Matt, the policeman, is a part of the group working to catch and persecute those people with special powers. I could not help but compare this to a sort of genocide in the future. Later in the episode, Claire meets up with her father, Nathan, in his home in NYC. It is revealed, however, that Nathan is not really Nathan; he is in fact Sylar. This is a truly bleak future indeed, with a killer as the president of the United States. The episode leaves us with a sort of feeling of worry: Hiro is now our only true hope from keeping the bomb from exploding, and saving the world from the bleak future that is seen in this episode. “Five Years Gone” was indeed a truly great episode in that it gave viewers plenty to think about, and plenty of reasons to ardently hope that the bomb does not explode. This episode is a great set up to the season finale, as well.
  • can't stop re-watching the part where peter petrelli kicks ass

this episode is excellent cuz peter petrelli is crazy wit all his powers. sylar is out of his league now that peter is copying everybody's powers. the part where peter petrelli stops time and teleports is amazing. he's truly on a whole new level that's absolutely insane. this is one of the best episodes of all the excellent episodes of heroes. I got nothin else to say . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . .. . . . . . . .
  • Future Hiro, Dark Matt, Peter has the power!!

Future Hiro, Dark Matt, Peter has the power!! This is Heroes at its best. Someone give Ando a power please!! I'd guessed who Nathan was quite early. Brains, must eat brains!! Cool use of powers as well. Intersting to see what could happen. What was brilliant about it was that the cheerleader had been saved but nobody new it. So is this where it will end up? I doubt it. Somehow I don't think Peter or Sylar will blow up New York. But this was superb. I am gagging for more. It is so well written, full of suspense and well acted. Best thing is you don't really need to see much of the superpowers as the characters are that good!! Keep going...
  • the most amazing thing ever on tv

Heroes is dreadfully slow. That being of the show that is painful that it is only on once a week. I could watch this show every hour of every day. And with the promise of the battle between peter and syler finally being glimpsed i only hope this series can be extended to a few series while keeping the excitement. The character interaction is amazing and the story lines fresh and original. the show had hype when it first aired but unlike so many to be out this delivers all that was promised. The best show on tv by far.
  • Man am I mad that I missed thie the first time around!

this was a really important episode! Everything change! and the one part the really change for me was peter he was a loner and stuff. it was weird cause peters brother (i don't know his name) he was the president and everything! and i was like why is he soo mean to everyone and hating on other people with powers! and they said syler had blowen up already! it was crazy and all the main heros were hidding in different places! clair was a waitress and bout to get married but then the government (her real daddy) found her and brought her to the white house she didn't like him cause doing stuff to other people with powers. so when she was bout to leave he stopped her ..with out touching her so she couldn't move and i was like hold up he can only fly then clair was like SYLER! and the that like of blood came acroos her head and her real dad turned in to syler!! it was crazy cause i totally didn't see that coming!! that was soo cool!!!
  • Probably the best episode this season!

This episode blew my mind in so many ways! I thought it was fantastic- the story, the acting, the scenes... it all just came together in a really cool, dark, kind of way. I loved seeing the heroes alliances after the bomb and seeing which characters were good and which were bad.

The sylar twist was great, though a little expected, but that still did not detract for me from how great this episode was. I love watching this show grow and this was a prime example of that growth.

Of all the 23 episodes this season, this is definitely the best!
  • Best of the season. They should have kept the series there.

Amazing what a difference 5 years makes. Peter is not a whiner anymore. Neither is Claire, really. Hero is a mountain. Parkman has a cool mean streak - and heroes die. THIS is what a punch-in-the-gut show should be like! These people fart thunder and spit fireballs - there should be consequences, death, confusion and fire.
    For one hour we got to see what can happen if writers don't have reigns to moderate everything they do; from action to text. Have you listened to the text in the last few episodes? Corny is being polite. Everyone is just posturing - there is no real definition, no grit. THIS episode had all of that in volumes. No fuss, to the point. Everyone was intense to the max - except Jessica, who has been lost anyway for over half the season.
    I do hope some of that can transfer to the next season and make it not only hot but also more realistic - if I can use that word in this comic book world. It's a difference between super-heroes (yawn) saving the world with fists for the umpteenth time and a constructed alien taking out half a city (yes, it happened!) in Watchmen - which was a monumental work of super-hero fiction.
    Holding my breath...
  • The best episode of the season.....amazing!!!

Thrown five years in the future, Hiro and his friend Ando discover that people with extraordinary abilities are not only widely known about — after the destruction of New York City and the deaths of millions — but are being registered, imprisoned, hunted and even killed as “terrorists.” As the President takes his first step towards a “final solution,” the pair get swept up in what could be the “Heroes” final battle and encounter a range of new and darkly familiar faces. If they survive the experience, can they still get back to the present and save the world? The best episode of the season.....amazing!!!
  • What happens five years from now if the bomb goes off...

What a powerful and amazing episode.

Somewhere along the lines in "the last five years," Sylar must have killed the lady that can change into other people and as a result, he became Nathan. Then, he killed Claire in last night's episode.

When they filmed the episode, it appears that some guys went a few days without shaving especially Suresh.

When the bomb went off, DL, Micah, Ando, and apparently, Nathan died. Parkman became somewhat of a bad guy and Mr. Bennet did what he could to protect others.

The sad thing is, once the last episodes are aired, we have to go until September or October with no Heroes.

I LOVE this show.
  • This is just amazing... How did they even come out with something like this??!! I'm just surprised... (Spoilers)

What do I have to say... You really have to watch this episode... Even if you are not a fan of "Heroes" you would fall in love with the series just like i am...

It is just the one episode that shows us what we will get if our Heroes do not stop the awful incoming bomb... A sad and hopeless future, where the ones with abilities are pursued...

In this awesome future we get to know that Ando's dead, Micah's dead, D.L.'s dead, even Nathan is dead... And as if it was not enough, we see Claire and Mr. Bennet die while Sylar prevails...
  • Perfect!!!

From day one I said that series is something else, something that you don't see in TV often, and this episode is a perfect example why you all should see this series.
    Let make this as simple as I can:
    Characters: perfect! you really believe them, you really feel the emotions, and they don't look siily or pathetic no metter what strange powers they got. And this is a very diffucult thing to do.
    Plot: perfect! Well written, interesting and you are left with a taste for more.
    Action: Damn good! One of the scenes in this episode would not shame the Matrix movie.

Perfect episode, perfect cast, perfect series.
  • Increible capitulo como un acontecimiento cambia todo

Este episodio nos da la idea de lo que sucede despues de la bomba como estos acontecimientos cambian el futuro y como algunos heroes ya estan muertos y otros han cmabiado pero deja un duda en que parte peter o cuando le sucede esa cicatriz.PArkman porque se debio retirar de su familia que habra pasado para que el se haya vuelto asi.

Como es que peter no ha podido leer la mente de sylar y porque el no ha matado a parkman y el atian, el siguiete apisodio espero que nos libre de muchas dudas y que veamos si hiro puede cumplir su mision o simplemente isaac se equivoco en su prediccion
  • Five years in the future...

I can't really call this a "series classic"...Because 1: the show has only been on a season, and 2: I think every show has been phenomenal all year long...But nonetheless, I still think this was a perfect show...The only thing this show really does is bring up a lot of questions, which I like that about shows...Shows that always keep you guessing, instead of the cookie cutter, same old same old...But, the real question is if they do stop the explosion happening in New York, what does this episode truly mean then?...None of this stuff won't happen...Then this is more like a McGuffin episode than anything else. It was still an enjoyable episode to watch.
  • WOW...

What an amazing episode! The best so far... there was so many things happening at the same time. Just LOVED the Peter and Hiro from the future, the action scenes were cool. Peter was kind of a mix between Neo (Matrix) and an x-men. The duel at the end between him and Sylar looked good too. If they kill Sylar in the past then there will never be a kick a$$ duel between them. Matt became a bad cop, too bad... I like him. Jessica vanished somehow... I still don't get Nikki's power. I'm gonna stop writing and watch it again. Can't wait for the next episode!
  • excellent episode this episode really struck me most it reveals what happen to the future this episode reminds me the movie Terminator 3, i hope the story wouldn't be the same as terminator.

excellent episode

this episode really struck me most it reveals what happen to the future this episode reminds me the movie Terminator 3, i hope the story wouldn't be the same as terminator but there are two heroes in this episode the director for this episode done a great job what more i can say keep up the good work making this type of series gives a big impact to the viewers it's not just for fun but also can give you a lot of perceptions in life. keep up the good work
  • This has to be truly the best episode yet!

Heroes has always had so much potential, and this episode simply shows how good the show is. It was great seeing the future and seeing everyone being able to control their abilities.

It was almost like a film at the end of the episode since it was brilliantly created and acted by everyone. It was so good to see the show reach the hights which i have been expecting for a while. Syler is still at large in the world and is the president as well. And we see that Syler must have crossed paths with the new girl who works for Bennetts company for the body swithcing ability.
  • Other than this episode being AMAZING, future scarred Peter is damn hot.

Hiro & Ando travel 5 years forward after the bomb has exploded. This episode shows how awful things would be if the bomb explodes. In this episode we find out many heroes were killed including D.L, Micah, Nathan, Candice & Ando. Also during this episode Claire & the Haitian & Future Hiro are killed.

Also we find out that Matt has a child with special abilities. HRG protects other "heroes" including his daughter(Claire) who gets killed by Sylar during this episode. Pete & Nikki are together & Peter kicks ass. Peter & Sylar face off at the end of the episode. "To be continued"...
< 1 2 3 4 5 6