Heroes Forums

NBC (ended 2010)

did the finale remind anyone else of X-Men # 25...

jvspikesrip

[1]Apr 28, 2009
    • level: 3
    For any comic book fans, in New X-Men # 25 (came out in 1994) Professor Xaiver wipes Magneto's memory to stop him....it reminded me of this episode...Parkman wipes Sylar's memory and makes him believe he is Nathan Petrelli...they always seem to throw in little homages to X-Men lol
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SHUCKLEMAN

[2]Apr 28, 2009
    • level: 11
    I don't read X-Men comics, but, does anyone know if these references are intentional or coincidental? There seem to be a lot of them, but all the Star Trek references they had were intentional, although those were far more obvious (e.g. cast members from Star Trek).

watever393

[3]Apr 28, 2009
    • level: 10

I thought it was more similair to Identity Crisis...

I think the homages are unintentional, after all there's only so much you can do.

sevini7i

[4]Apr 29, 2009
    • level: 2
    Yeah i notice right away. I did not know issue it was. I also thought the virus thing was going to be similar with claire be the cure. That panned out to nothing.

MistahhBigShot

[5]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 1
    It's kinda stupid tho... the whole memory thing.

supernatordjt

[6]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 7
    jvspikesrip wrote:
    For any comic book fans, in New X-Men # 25 (came out in 1994) Professor Xaiver wipes Magneto's memory to stop him....it reminded me of this episode...Parkman wipes Sylar's memory and makes him believe he is Nathan Petrelli...they always seem to throw in little homages to X-Men lol

At least X-Men 25 had a battle. Actually... I think if they had made it more like X-men 25, it would have been better.

Non of this Angela and HRG telling Matt to make Sylar into Nathan. Matt could've just resolved after seeing dead Nathan, not to let this happen again. And, knowing Sylar can hardly be killed, decides himself that the only way to stop him is too wipe his mind clean. So, Matt removes Sylar's memories and such... leaving us to think he is now an empty husk. But to everyone's surprise, he wakes up believing that he is Nathan, because those are the only memories left.... Oh... but I guess I forgot he'd need to shift into Nathan... whatever, maybe he was in Nathan's form when he got tranq'd (there, problem solved). After seeing him sincerely believing he is Nathan, and Matt double checking in the brain, THEN Angela feels that in some way her son is still alive and convinces herself to keep it this way.
    That would have made more sense than the "We need Nathan to be alive, so make Sylar become Nathan" idea. IMO.

ma_liky

[7]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 13
    X-Men and Heroes has to be connected because they have the same base story - People with Powers. And Heroes can not go inventing some powers so that they can be different then every other show (comic book) that has people with powers. They have different characters, stories, time... And if sometimes some plot or usage of some power is similar to the other show/comic book then it is because of the same power that has been used or the goal is in some way similar. Like OP said it was comic book #25 and it is issued in 1994, 15 years have passed, maybe writers like us have grown up with X-Men and upgraded their knowledge and used it in Heroes.
    supernatordjt wrote:
    jvspikesrip wrote:

At least X-Men 25 had a battle. Actually... I think if they had made it more like X-men 25, it would have been better.

Non of this Angela and HRG telling Matt to make Sylar into Nathan. Matt could've just resolved after seeing dead Nathan, not to let this happen again. And, knowing Sylar can hardly be killed, decides himself that the only way to stop him is too wipe his mind clean. So, Matt removes Sylar's memories and such... leaving us to think he is now an empty husk. But to everyone's surprise, he wakes up believing that he is Nathan, because those are the only memories left.... Oh... but I guess I forgot he'd need to shift into Nathan... whatever, maybe he was in Nathan's form when he got tranq'd (there, problem solved). After seeing him sincerely believing he is Nathan, and Matt double checking in the brain, THEN Angela feels that in some way her son is still alive and convinces herself to keep it this way.
    That would have made more sense than the "We need Nathan to be alive, so make Sylar become Nathan" idea. IMO.

And no matter how weird or crazy it is, if you think about it really it makes every sense. Cause Nathan is the only one that could have ended the hunt of heroes, he was the only one that could talk to the President that President would listen to cause he had started all in the first place. And if it came out that some one with power had killed the US Senator the hell would breakout and the war and the hunt would have been even bloodier. And Matt coming up with that solution on his own would be even more ridiculous, cause he is not that intelligent. And it fits perfect with Angela's character no matter how weird it sounds and looks. Angela is all Necessary Evil when it comes to keeping secrets and achieving her goals. She has the closet full of secrets, one she takes out (Alice) and then she puts one in. Perfect!

supernatordjt

[8]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 7

ma_liky wrote:
    X-Men and Heroes has to be connected because they have the same base story - People with Powers. And Heroes can not go inventing some powers so that they can be different then every other show (comic book) that has people with powers. They have different characters, stories, time... And if sometimes some plot or usage of some power is similar to the other show/comic book then it is because of the same power that has been used or the goal is in some way similar. Like OP said it was comic book #25 and it is issued in 1994, 15 years have passed, maybe writers like us have grown up with X-Men and upgraded their knowledge and used it in Heroes.
    supernatordjt wrote:
    jvspikesrip wrote:
    At least X-Men 25 had a battle. Actually... I think if they had made it more like X-men 25, it would have been better. Non of this Angela and HRG telling Matt to make Sylar into Nathan. Matt could've just resolved after seeing dead Nathan, not to let this happen again. And, knowing Sylar can hardly be killed, decides himself that the only way to stop him is too wipe his mind clean. So, Matt removes Sylar's memories and such... leaving us to think he is now an empty husk. But to everyone's surprise, he wakes up believing that he is Nathan, because those are the only memories left.... Oh... but I guess I forgot he'd need to shift into Nathan... whatever, maybe he was in Nathan's form when he got tranq'd (there, problem solved). After seeing him sincerely believing he is Nathan, and Matt double checking in the brain, THEN Angela feels that in some way her son is still alive and convinces herself to keep it this way. That would have made more sense than the "We need Nathan to be alive, so make Sylar become Nathan" idea. IMO.
    And no matter how weird or crazy it is, if you think about it really it makes every sense. Cause Nathan is the only one that could have ended the hunt of heroes, he was the only one that could talk to the President that President would listen to cause he had started all in the first place. And if it came out that some one with power had killed the US Senator the hell would breakout and the war and the hunt would have been even bloodier. And Matt coming up with that solution on his own would be even more ridiculous, cause he is not that intelligent. And it fits perfect with Angela's character no matter how weird it sounds and looks. Angela is all Necessary Evil when it comes to keeping secrets and achieving her goals. She has the closet full of secrets, one she takes out (Alice) and then she puts one in. Perfect!

Except it would have been a lot easier to have Peter shift into Nathan and end the "Hunt".

Heck the President probably would've listened to plain old Peter after Peter saved his life like that, with the Presidents co-operation I might add. They've already shook hands for Peter to be able to shift into him. Peter as himself, or as Nathan, along with HRG, could've got the same government Co-operation and funding than "Nathan" did.

Angela has just crossed from being illogical and some kind of weirdo Zealot, to being an outright Psychotic, actually. It really made very little sense... it was quite a Half-Baked scheme. Which actually kinda makes sense for her weirdo character. What irked me more was HRG's insistence. That was TOTALLY out of his character. TOTALLY.

If it was really so absolutely important for Nathan to stay alive, HRG and Angela would've insisted without stop that Nathan not leave to face Sylar in the first place.

Edited on 04/30/2009 12:29pm

kuddiu

[9]Apr 30, 2009
    And, as probably a billion people has alrady thought, they could simply let peter act as nathan, until this one recovers from his "fatal" injury via Claire or Sylar blood.
    The same blood that could probably fix the mess in hiro's head (cous blood from nose and ear, is not for stomachache for sure, maybe timesopping damaged his brain in some way...or simply was couse of all that stupid eyeblinking to use his power).
    Something that noah in primis must know for sure, as claire's blood bring him back to life for sure. After a bullet in the skull. And after he was dead for a while.

There's a lot about power they forgot. In prims Sylar and his pletora of strange abilities. Liquify matter. Super hearing. Illusion (whose owner used as a shapeshifting power). Frozing touch (caused his mom to freak out, and supposingly worked as Tracy lvl1, and he got it way before she get consciousness of her power, just after telekinesys if i remember well). And so many other...useles or overpowering (who said human nuclear weapon?)

thetruesora

[10]Apr 30, 2009
    • level: 22
    Sylar never got Illusion abilities (except in the original bad future of the "five years gone" episode of season 1). He tried to take it in season 2 but couldn't because of the virus.

kuddiu

[11]Mar 13, 2012
    Wow, I don't know if everyone will see this answer, I just find out your reply to my post by chance (ok, I don't post very much, so...I don't keep track of my own rambling).
    Anyway the Illusion power of Sylar I was referring was the one of the nannychick that guarded him in season two. I don't know if he "tried" to get it without success or if he manage to obtain it, they never explained it clearly. Maybe the fact that he himself used it in the "what if" future made me think that in the end he got it..
    Whatever, it was just an example of some of the manymany power he had and forgot to have.