1) 90% of policy, you can learn from reading the Terms of Service thread.
If that's too tough to read, then it really boils down to this: be nice to people (flaming). And if you don't like the show, don't watch it. (trolling)
2) What's off-topic? Given this is a Heroes discussion forum, TV.com specifically created blogs so folks could have games, personal conversations, fan clubs, chats, etc. Any and all such games, chain-type threads, lounges, fan clubs, etc. can and should go to blogs.
As an incoming editor, I will honor the existing threads of this type. If they prove to be too disruptive, or attract other TOS violations, I will close them. Yes, one bad apple can ruin it for everyone.
Discussion of TV.com and forum policy is off-topic on the Heroes discussion forum since they don't concern the Heroes TV series, characters, storylines, etc. You can PM the show editor, and after that the general policy forums.
The occasional straying post is not a concern, but extended personal discussions and thread hijacking are.
If you wish to advertise personal sites, fan clubs, etc., include them in your signature or your blog, not on the forum.
3) Spoilers: Make sure to put Spoilers in your topic header if you have spoilers. If you must put a spoiler on a post within someone else's thread, please use spoiler tags. If there is no thread for a future episode, direct discussion to the Season X Spoilers/Speculation/News Thread.
4) Please don't create Official Discussion Threads. I'd rather avoid either races or competing threads. (Yes, some people like to race to do it: I don't know why.)
5) The official discussion threads are for all general and specific discussion of the episode. 6 ) When creating new threads, please try to make them discussion rather then polls, so we don't end up with tons of one-liners. thus "Who is your favorite character?" - not so good. "Who is your favorite character, and why?" - better.
7 ) No need to post a "Hi, I'm new" thread. Just jump right in and start posting.
8 ) Reviews go in the review section, for the episode or the show.
9 ) Actor/news threads go on the actor pages. Particularly on a show with dozens/hundreds of actors, creating threads for actors can take up too much space... and defeats the point of having actor forums.
Edited on 02/15/2010 9:57pm
Edited 2 total times.
Edited 2 total times.