Heroes Forums

NBC (ended 2010)

Heroes Vs. Smallville

tramlaw301

[101]Nov 9, 2006
    • level: 18
    Heroes is a better superhero (special powers show) but Smallville is a better overall TV show (drama, serial show).  Heroes is a better show to me personally because I'm not really interested in the serial drama of a show like this as I am interested in the special powers. 
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

NeCedeMalis

[102]Nov 9, 2006
    • level: 2
    I have watched Smallville since the beginning and still watch it. The plotting has been mostly weak, although they're getting steadily better. I have been worried that now, having finally moved away from the kryptonite infusee of the week they're now doing the Phantom Zone escapee of the week. I keep watching, hoping it will improve. Having Ollie on has helped me enjoy it more, but let's face it: what the heck is he doing in Smallville? For that matter, what the heck is Metropolis doing so close to Smallville? So, I defenestrate logic & expectations of consistency when I watch it and just try to enjoy it as the pleasant diversion it is. It doesn't offend me to the point that I stop watching, but it does annoy me because I think it could be so much better.

For a while, my favorite show of all time was Babylon Five, the first true novel for TV. That was supplanted by Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Heroes is currently in third place as my all-time favorite and if it keeps going this way for more than one season, I'm going to be sorry to see Babylon Five get bumped by it, but it's looking mighty strong.

I haven't posted in any other forum but Heroes because I have limited time, so I focused on this show. I never had the chance to post while Buffy was active, so I didn't want to miss out on the Heroes phenomenon. Heroes has better character development, plotting, expression of themes, and direction than any other show on right now. The writers show depth of thought behind the episodes far greater than the average series. My expectations are high and I've been impressed with Heroes each week.

Theories_Heroes

[103]Nov 10, 2006
    • level: 2
    Well, with Smallville the plot is long but in my opinion is distributed in blocks causing an almost chopped up appeal to it. You could miss an episode and still have some clue as to what's happening in the next episode.

Heroes, however, is a continuing storyline. It's like the entire thing was filmed as a movie and then split into episodes. You miss part of that storyline though and you could miss a huge part of the drama.

I personally like Heroes more, though Smallville is awesome. I could never miss a new episode of either.

SupermanNYC

[104]Nov 10, 2006
    • level: 45
    Theories_Heroes wrote:
    Well, with Smallville the plot is long but in my opinion is distributed in blocks causing an almost chopped up appeal to it. You could miss an episode and still have some clue as to what's happening in the next episode.

Heroes, however, is a continuing storyline. It's like the entire thing was filmed as a movie and then split into episodes. You miss part of that storyline though and you could miss a huge part of the drama.

I personally like Heroes more, though Smallville is awesome. I could never miss a new episode of either.
    I agree on the missing an episode of smallville you won't be lost with whats going on, but try and miss an episode of Heroes and all is lose!

Dyannah

[105]Nov 10, 2006
    • level: 4
    I've been a fan of Smallville since it's first episode, I've always loved it , but Heroes is different and fresh. Smallville started as an excellent show, now is just good. Heroes starts as an excellent show too.. I don't know how it will end.. but now is just GREAT!! I can´t stop watching, I think I have a problem, I made 3 of my friends addicted too.
    Edited on 11/10/2006 3:22pm

iwatchitall

[106]Nov 23, 2006
    • level: 15
    I too agree with your summation of both shows most especially the obvious pitfalls and inconsistencies of Smallville, which have always been a source of great annoyance for me, which makes me want to watch even more to see if the show will live up to the expectations of what I think it could be.  Apparently Metropolis is about 5 hours from Smallville and for some reason the Green Arrow is in Metropolis when he should be in Star City....and on and on I could go in that direction ripping the show apart.  However, Heroes is so well done that there's no need to go to the theatre, because it's simply in a class of its own.  Heroes is by far the best new show of this season and could be one of the best shows on tv.

hookd_on_heroes

[107]Nov 23, 2006

Away from the current discussion, I am giving my opinion based on the title, I didn't see the first season of smallville and I don't know if it was as fast-paced as heroes is today. If I compare first season heroes to current smallville, both are good but I feel that Heores is superior even though I have been a smallville fan for a while now. One thing I haven't liked on smallville which some of you might disagree with is having an enemy in almost every episode with no connection to the absolute plot line. I would be okay with it and enjoy it once in a while but the "meteor freak-mad at lex-mad at smallville or somebody specific in smallville-runs into clark-clark wins-meteor freak turns good guy, goes to authority or dies due to his own mistake" this storyline has most recently been changed from meteor freak to zoners since the creators were probably running out of meteor freak ideas. I'm not saying Heroes will remain strong through the seasons, if it has many seasons...but its current state is better than smallville.

ChichipioWilson

[108]Nov 23, 2006
    • level: 16
    hookd_on_heroes wrote:

Away from the current discussion, I am giving my opinion based on the title, I didn't see the first season of smallville and I don't know if it was as fast-paced as heroes is today. If I compare first season heroes to current smallville, both are good but I feel that Heores is superior even though I have been a smallville fan for a while now. One thing I haven't liked on smallville which some of you might disagree with is having an enemy in almost every episode with no connection to the absolute plot line. I would be okay with it and enjoy it once in a while but the "meteor freak-mad at lex-mad at smallville or somebody specific in smallville-runs into clark-clark wins-meteor freak turns good guy, goes to authority or dies due to his own mistake" this storyline has most recently been changed from meteor freak to zoners since the creators were probably running out of meteor freak ideas. I'm not saying Heroes will remain strong through the seasons, if it has many seasons...but its current state is better than smallville.

I couldn't agree more. I'm a big fan of both shows (along with Supernatural, both Stargate shows, BSG and medium). It's true that right now feels like you can miss one ep of Smallville and still know what's going on, but I think it's because it has 6 seasons so it's the catching up should be pretty easy. Heroes on the other hand is all fresh and new, I mean, we don't even know the whole gang yet. But yes, I wonder what plot would make a 2nd season worthy, because if they team up by the end of this season and the show continues, the next year it would become pretty similar to X-men.

windmage55

[109]Nov 25, 2006
    • level: 3
    As a superhero fan i would have to say both rocks as much as each other

crazypenguincp

[110]Nov 25, 2006
    • level: 10
    I like smallville, but it's not as addicting as heroes. Glad to see smallville turning clark more into superman though- the meteor freaks were getting old- if only they would end the lana thing. anyway, heroes is just better.

DCU_101

[111]Nov 26, 2006
    • level: 6
    I love both shows, 

SupermanNYC

[112]May 2, 2007
    Its clear that Heroes have better writers.

Hir0_N

[113]May 2, 2007
    • level: 1
    I used to like Smallville alot but it doesnt even come close to the greatness of heroes. Smallville started to die with this whole lana/lie/truth/love CRAP.
    Edited on 05/02/2007 8:21pm

danideathstrike

[114]May 3, 2007
    • level: 13
    I love smallville, but im addicted to heroes.

reboo90

[115]May 3, 2007

Definitely Heroes. Smallville is great but I can't stand watching never ending Lana story. Just ditch her and get on with it. In Heroes at lest if something like this surfaces it is resolved quickly and it doesn't become the single most important thing that drags on for episodes ,well, seasons in Superman's case

SupermanNYC

[116]May 3, 2007
    reboo90 wrote:

Definitely Heroes. Smallville is great but I can't stand watching never ending Lana story. Just ditch her and get on with it. In Heroes at lest if something like this surfaces it is resolved quickly and it doesn't become the single most important thing that drags on for episodes ,well, seasons in Superman's case

The Lana/Clark storyline one can get so tired of.

reboo90

[117]May 3, 2007
    SupermanNYC wrote:
    reboo90 wrote:

The Lana/Clark storyline one can get so tired of.

oh no, no, it is so dynamic and eventful not at all repetitive

Edited on 05/03/2007 10:17am

MarWash

[118]May 3, 2007
    • level: 31
    It pains me too say that as of this moment I am much more wrapped in the world of Heroes, Smallville is still at the top of my lsit as far as what i will watch repeatidly, but seeing that Smallville is entering its final chapters and Heroes is just starting.... I am deeply enamored with HIROS

lady_an

[119]May 3, 2007
    Hir0_N wrote:
    I used to like Smallville alot but it doesnt even come close to the greatness of heroes. Smallville started to die with this whole lana/lie/truth/love CRAP.

I agree

fleuret

[120]May 9, 2007

fact is, smallville struggled to keep my attention in the first season and failed completely to do so in the second.

on the other hand, i'm sitting up watching downloads of heroes until one in the morning for days on end.

need i say more?

PS Anyone else also suffering from heroes induced insomnia?