Heroes Forums

NBC (ended 2010)

Most WTF Plot Points

feraflower

[1]Mar 24, 2010
    • level: 17

Now that I've done the stupidest character moments, I'm moving on to the plot. Over the years, there have been many headscratching, puzzling, often awkward plot developments that make little to no sense and I'd like to know, what's your most dread/"favorite" WTF plot moment.

I'll go first:

1. Sylathan/Matt-Sylar-I hated, hated, hated, hated, hated this storyline, so bad. What's worst, it was a total mind melt. So, Sylar's mind latched itself into Matt's when Matt brainwashed Sylar's BODY into thinking it was Nathan, resulting in a split-personality that thought itself Nathan. Then "Nathan" "died" and was reverted back to Gabriel? Sylar? "Nathan"? If none of this made your mind hurt, I envy you.

2. Goes without saying but the shameless Buffy rip-off between Claire and Gretchen.

3. Anytime Hiro had his mind wiped by a supervillain and reverted into a blabbering idiot.

4. The whole formula deal.

5. The "light"-I still have no idea what the "light" is.

6. Eclipses cause superpowers.

7. Claire jumping off the ferris wheel, outting superheroes-I wouldn't have minded so much if it wasn't such a desperate and rather sad grab for another season and if this obnoxious little brat that calls herself a hero wasn't the one to out the heroes.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ma_liky

[2]Mar 25, 2010
    • level: 13
    Introducing characters that had no meaning at all. Like Maya and her brother - what was the point of her brother when she manage to control it and Sylar didnt get her power , Catlin the Irish girl - leave her in future and never speak of her again , Alice the crazy sister that had spent so many years alone in some basement and never heard from or asked for again (who doesent wanna know where is their sister now that she is alive ) I agree with Eclipse so stupid.

a_noob_is_rokz

[3]Mar 25, 2010
    • level: 9

Alice. IMO, 1961 is by far the show's worst episode, and I actually like Volume 4. I hated everything about it, but Alice in particular because she was so random and so meaningless.

The formula and catalyst thing. I still have no clue if the catalyst had any point other than making Claire relevant.

The eclipse was also awful. Ah screw it: Season 3 was awful.

I honestly didn't find the Sylathan plot too confusing. Matt removed Sylar's consciousness from Sylar's head and into his head. He then told Sylar he was Nathan. This combined with his Nathan memories and the fact that staying shapeshifted makes Sylar lose sight of who he is made Sylar really believe he is Nathan.

Also, while the lesbian romance may have been bad especially in the second half, calling it a Buffy rip-off is just stupid. Joss Whedon did not invent the concept of college girls kissing and except for that feature, the two had almost nothing in common.

Edited on 03/25/2010 8:34pm

thetruesora

[4]Mar 28, 2010
    • level: 22
    regarding Caitlyn, Peter didn't really have any chance to try and get her back from that future as he had gone to dealing with his brother being shot, then meeting his future self who put him in another guy's body. Followed by his future self taking him to the bad future where everyone has powers where he goes crazy after using Sylar's power leading to him having all his powers taken by his father.

KingofIPirates

[5]Mar 28, 2010
    • level: 32
    thetruesora wrote:
    regarding Caitlyn, Peter didn't really have any chance to try and get her back from that future as he had gone to dealing with his brother being shot
    Before the arrangements for a press conference had ever been made, he could've gone back and looked for her. During his new found inspiration to help people at the start of Volume 5, he could've hooked up with Hiro and with his new ability attempted to look for Caitlin.

cactusjack39

[6]Mar 28, 2010
    • level: 30

1. Peter visiting the darkside in season 3. If this wasn't a jump-the-shark moment, what else is?

2. The catalyst. Who cared?

3. Matt painting the future.

4. Good Sylar Part I. Season 3.

5. Good Sylar Part II. Season 4.

6. The theme of Volume 5.

7. All of Ali Larter's characters.

8. Claire becoming her own personal skirt-chasing, lady-loving character in Volume 5.

feraflower

[7]Mar 29, 2010

a_noob_is_rokz wrote:

Alice. IMO, 1961 is by far the show's worst episode, and I actually like Volume 4. I hated everything about it, but Alice in particular because she was so random and so meaningless.

The formula and catalyst thing. I still have no clue if the catalyst had any point other than making Claire relevant.

The eclipse was also awful. Ah screw it: Season 3 was awful.

I honestly didn't find the Sylathan plot too confusing. Matt removed Sylar's consciousness from Sylar's head and into his head. He then told Sylar he was Nathan. This combined with his Nathan memories and the fact that staying shapeshifted makes Sylar lose sight of who he is made Sylar really believe he is Nathan.

Also, while the lesbian romance may have been bad especially in the second half, calling it a Buffy rip-off is just stupid. Joss Whedon did not invent the concept of college girls kissing and except for that feature, the two had almost nothing in common.

The Sylathan/Matt-Sylar thing was way too convoluted and seemed to exist for the sole purpose of making Matt more relevant. If Sylar "Durden" was just a manifestation of Matt's guilt towards what he did to Sylar, while I wouldn't have wanted it to be dragged on until episode nine/ten, at least it would be a little less headache inducing. I initally tolerated the Sylathan angle since I thought "Nathan" would get a focus until they shunted him so far to the side, it became super-obvious that he was going to "die" way before they announced it.

Rip-off is the wrong word for Gretchen/Claire and B:TVS. I think the better word would be page-stealing and maybe way too nice for even that. I loved Buffy and I still think Joss Whedon handled Willow/Tara a lot better than maybe 98% of primetime and even cable shows. Now, the sudden lesbian development as rip-off would be closer to The OC. I still loathe what they did to Marissa and I didn't even like the show that much. Smile.

Edited on 03/29/2010 12:14am

ma_liky

[8]Mar 29, 2010
    • level: 13
    cactusjack39 wrote:

1. Peter visiting the darkside in season 3. If this wasn't a jump-the-shark moment, what else is?

2. The catalyst. Who cared?

3. Matt painting the future.

4. Good Sylar Part I. Season 3.

5. Good Sylar Part II. Season 4.

6. The theme of Volume 5.

7. All of Ali Larter's characters.

8. Claire becoming her own personal skirt-chasing, lady-loving character in Volume 5.

I completely forgot about Matt painting the future. That was stupid. And where did that went?

steffi_totti

[9]Apr 8, 2010
    I always cringe whenever I think of Caitlin's unsolved plot. Man, it sucks to be her.

DresserBoys

[10]Apr 9, 2010
    • level: 18

I think of the Caitlin thing all I get is confused on Time Travel in general, just so many questions.

My thing is something I thought about last month. In Volume 5 finale could have seen Claire vs Becky get it on. Invincible Girl vs invisible Girl would been cool and Claire could have learned what really happened to her roommate. Save money from seeing Claire jump off the fairest wheel and put it into that fight and then end with Samuel and Becky in back of the police car.

Claire actually fighting would have been great to see, instead of running or reconciling with her Dad like the ending of the last 3 volumes

JWEBSR

[11]Apr 13, 2010
    • level: 8
    DresserBoys wrote:

I think of the Caitlin thing all I get is confused on Time Travel in general, just so many questions.

My thing is something I thought about last month. In Volume 5 finale could have seen Claire vs Becky get it on. Invincible Girl vs invisible Girl would been cool and Claire could have learned what really happened to her roommate. Save money from seeing Claire jump off the fairest wheel and put it into that fight and then end with Samuel and Becky in back of the police car.

Claire actually fighting would have been great to see, instead of running or reconciling with her Dad like the ending of the last 3 volumes

I have no interest in seeing Claire fight.....or do anything else for that matter. And the fact that anyone ended up in a police car was the show hitting rock bottom.

CharmedOneP391

[12]Apr 28, 2010
    • level: 19

In Volume Four, Chapter 5 "Exposed", at the end when Peter has just been shot by Danko and hugs Nathan while sitting there with Angela, and takes his power and flies away, Nathan is about to fly after him but Angela tells him not to, saying "The Game has changed" while whispering something into Nathan's ear, making Nathan give this sort of "whoa?" Look on his face.

This, I'll say is a WTF plot point...as it was never explained.

ironknight992

[13]May 22, 2010
    • level: 3
    Maybe Peter doesn't save Caitlin because he doesn't remember her because she ceased to exist?

marto_dd

[14]Jun 20, 2010

Yeah, the future Caitlin was in was changed, so she just stopped to exist. But I agree that introducing the character was stupid.

1. The eclipse stopping their powers. Lame.

2. Sylar killing Elle. Why did he kill her? What was his motivation? Why, why, why?!

3. Killing Nikki for no important reason.

4. Killing DL in front of a stupid club and denying him the chance to die like a hero in the end of season 1.

5. The Villains episode in season 3. God, it was so messy and out of timeline.

6. Not curing the real dead Nathan with Claire's blood in the end of season 3. Or curing HRG, who was shot in the head (in the eye, particularly ) with that blood. The two storylines are inconsistent, so you pick the worse one.

fnlheroes

[15]Jun 20, 2010
    • level: 6

That whole scene in volume 3 where Peter went to the future became evil, went back in time tried to kill his mother only to be stopped by Sylar. It all felt so bizzarre.

Ok and I know this isn't a plot point, but remember when Matt asked to borrow that one African guy's cell phone, and the African replied: "No service should've gone with sprint". Couldn't they have been more subtle?

AdamMurphy2

[16]Jun 24, 2010
    • level: 1
    #1. First Hiro loses his power then gets it back partially and his best friend has the ability to boost powers but doesn't use it on Hiro to try and restore his ability or to boost it when it's not working right. Then finaly near the end of season 4 he uses it, not to boost him but to give Hiro electro-shock.

#2. s03 The Company has Kensai, a healer locked up in their facility for 30 years. They could have been draining off large amounts of his blood to use for healing, instead, they start feverishly hunting Clair to get her healing Blood, WTF? Then all of a sudden they decide to not bother using Clair's blood to Heal anyone.

#3. Peter consistantly acting on impulse without listening to warnings and causing more problems or just making it more difficult.

#4. Everyone ignoring the connections they've made. They know people who can resolve their problems and don't go to them. Angela not calling the Haitian imediatly to fix Sylar/Nathan when Matt refused. Having the Haitian refuse was illogical as well and then he said he would if Peter wanted him to but instead Peter tried and failed which made no sense. And while Peter had nulled Sylars powers, he shapeshifted back to Nathan. Peter had the compass n Bennet wouldn't answer his phone then gave it away.

#5b. Maya's storyline seemed like filler from the begining so I just started fast fwding through it and turns out I was right, cuz even after killing her, Sylar never used her power again and it was never explained. Which is my actual #5 Power Absorbers/"Improves" who only use 1 or 2 of their abilities and forget they have others. Especially When Sylar forgets he has super hearing and people are whispering about him ten feet away.

#6. Sylar killing without taking the abilities.

You guys obviously don't understand Temporal Mechanics.(That's okay it's a difficult concept, lol) Catlain cud not be forgotten if she ceased to exist in the future. If they changed the past and Kept her from ever being born(erased her) then that would make sense.

Vesper-Lynd

[17]Jun 25, 2010
    • level: 18
    The whole not being able to save Nathan with Claire's blood. Once I realized they were SERIOUSLY going with that, it was the end of the line for me. Killing Elle made me stop being a fan of the show, but that made me hate it.

a_noob_is_rokz

[18]Jul 5, 2010
    marto_dd wrote:
    2. Sylar killing Elle. Why did he kill her? What was his motivation? Why, why, why?!>
    He killed Elle because she lied to him about his parents.

AdamMurphy2 wrote:
    #5b. Maya's storyline seemed like filler from the begining so I just started fast fwding through it and turns out I was right, cuz even after killing her, Sylar never used her power again and it was never explained. Which is my actual #5 Power Absorbers/"Improves" who only use 1 or 2 of their abilities and forget they have others. Especially When Sylar forgets he has super hearing and people are whispering about him ten feet away.
    Sylar didn't kill Maya. Arthur took her ability and she went back to whatever dark pit of hell she crawled out of. Also, Sylar lost his super hearing at the end of Season 1.

MolachNL

[19]Jul 12, 2010
    • level: 5
    I think sylar took many abilities only to be never seen again. sometimes I think the creators themselves lost track of them all. or perhaps they where just hoping we would not notice.

speaking of sylar though. what the hell happened to his dad. was sylars quest to find his dad just something for him to do while the other characters where busy doing there own thing or did it really have some meaning that is just lost on me?

a_noob_is_rokz

[20]Jul 12, 2010
    MolachNL wrote:
    speaking of sylar though. what the hell happened to his dad. was sylars quest to find his dad just something for him to do while the other characters where busy doing there own thing or did it really have some meaning that is just lost on me?
    He was going to become the Big Bad of Volume 4, but then Bryan Fuller pointed out that they did that plotline in Volume 3 and it sucked. The other writers went along with it because Bryan Fuller is better than them.