Heroes Forums

NBC (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread - "Orientation/Jump, Push, Fall" **SPOILERS

  • Avatar of SVU_number_1fan

    SVU_number_1fan

    [101]Sep 22, 2009
    • member since: 09/29/07
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 3,003
    a_noob_is_rokz wrote:
    Really, guys? A TOS Report for making an ironic observation? Come on!

    Anyhow, although people with one power tend to have children with the same power, there is nothing that indicates that a person with a power will always have children with the same power. There are tons of examples. The fact that Matt Jr. has a power in the first place indicates that he inherited the very rare superpower gene. The chances that Janice fell for two men with that gene are nanoscopic. Based on that and the fact that she told us straight up that the baby was Matt's, there is no logical reason to believe the baby isn't Matt's.
    yea that makes sence because remember that maradith and nathant had claire and they both had powers so i assume people go have powers and have sex give birth to babies that have power
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of filmstu2005

    filmstu2005

    [104]Sep 22, 2009
    • member since: 10/17/06
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 345

    Well i just see the whole formula injecting people with powers thing as NEVER happening. It's not that the writers made a riduculously stupid mistake and jumped the shark with it, which they did, but the execution was extremely poor. It defeated the purpose of the show, so in my eyes, Vol 3 never happened. Thats how i like to remember the show, erasing the worst volume of the bunch that pretty much ruined things beyond almost recovery, so it seemed at the time.

    Based on what the premise of the show establishes there should be no forumla, only normal everday people who discover, through good ol nature, that they have extraordinary abilities. Just like the Eclipse taking away powers, esp from those who were supposedly "injected." Not happening. Illogical which in my book, means it never happened. There is no point trying to define the logic written by illogical writers who had absolutely no idea about what was going on or what they were writing.

    So sorry. Continue on with ur conversation, but i advise you throw out what was established in Vol 3 b/c even the writers know it doesnt make sense. That means its pointless to even argue over or attempt to fathom.

    Edited on 09/22/2009 8:22pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of andy72685

    andy72685

    [105]Sep 22, 2009
    • member since: 08/26/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 56

    I agree with some of the above posters. The powers of the parents don't necessarily transfer to their children. After all, take Kaito and his wife. She could heal by touch, and he could predict the outcome of an event by studying the variables. How does that make time and space manipulation. We need to cite all examples when stating a theory. Interesting thought, though.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CharmedOneP391

    CharmedOneP391

    [106]Sep 23, 2009
    • member since: 06/10/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 1,108

    I think that it's a strong possibility for the child of a or two evolved humans to have the same power as the mother or father..but not always. Sometimes it can just stim from it...like with Claire's Regeneration..I always thought she got that power because her mom was immune to fire...so she had some sort of invulnerability...& Claire got the complete kind.

    I thought Volume 3 was okay...didn't get all of Authurs intentions..but some episodes were pretty good..i.e Our Father, It's Coming, The Second Coming. I just didn't like Angela's dreams she had...which were carried over from volume 2..just without monica and micah in the dream...weird.--Which also makes me think were they planning on making ALi Larter a triplet? Cuz in the dream in Volume 2...Niki/Tracy was there with the Villains..but maybe it was Jessica?

    Edited on 09/23/2009 6:21am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ionee24

    ionee24

    [107]Sep 23, 2009
    • member since: 07/05/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 3,772

    SVU_number_1fan wrote:
    yea that makes sence because remember that maradith and nathant had claire and they both had powers so i assume people go have powers and have sex give birth to babies that have power

    Nathan was born without an ability despite both of his parents had special abilities - which is the sole reason why Angela and Arthur injected him with the formula - so it's NOT true that all people with special abilities will have children with special abilities, Kimiko Nakamura is another example of someone who was born without a power despite both her mother and brother had one, Monty and Simon Petrelli yet another.

    Edited on 09/23/2009 9:31am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of --RPozo--

    --RPozo--

    [108]Sep 23, 2009
    • member since: 06/10/05
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 773
    Good episode... but I thought Hiro waned to be a hero because of Takezo Kensei and the stories he read when he as a kid... and now they say it was because of the fortune teller...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of KingofIPirates

    KingofIPirates

    [109]Sep 23, 2009
    • member since: 08/11/06
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 45,832
    Fortune Teller probably was the spark that inspired the desire to read those stories about Takezo Kensei.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of a_noob_is_rokz

    a_noob_is_rokz

    [110]Sep 23, 2009
    • member since: 04/27/08
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 605
    ionee24 wrote:

    SVU_number_1fan wrote:
    yea that makes sence because remember that maradith and nathant had claire and they both had powers so i assume people go have powers and have sex give birth to babies that have power

    Nathan was born without an ability despite both of his parents had special abilities - which is the sole reason why Angela and Arthur injected him with the formula - so it's NOT true that all people with special abilities will have children with special abilities, Kimiko Nakamura is another example of someone who was born without a power despite both her mother and brother had one, Monty and Simon Petrelli yet another.

    No, but it is very rare for two normal people to have a super-baby, especially when you consider that there are maybe a few thousand supers in the world. Statistically, the chance of both waterboy and Matt having the superpower gene are abysmal.

    The only example I can name of a current generation super being born to two non-supers is Molly, whose parents died offscreen and may have had unmanifested power.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lebang1

    lebang1

    [111]Sep 23, 2009
    • member since: 03/18/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 8

    Hmmm I don't like that "Theodore" from "preason break" playing in this show now when "preason break" is finnish....

    It is weard.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CharmedOneP391

    CharmedOneP391

    [112]Sep 23, 2009
    • member since: 06/10/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 1,108
    a_noob_is_rokz wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:

    SVU_number_1fan wrote:
    yea that makes sence because remember that maradith and nathant had claire and they both had powers so i assume people go have powers and have sex give birth to babies that have power

    Nathan was born without an ability despite both of his parents had special abilities - which is the sole reason why Angela and Arthur injected him with the formula - so it's NOT true that all people with special abilities will have children with special abilities, Kimiko Nakamura is another example of someone who was born without a power despite both her mother and brother had one, Monty and Simon Petrelli yet another.

    No, but it is very rare for two normal people to have a super-baby, especially when you consider that there are maybe a few thousand supers in the world. Statistically, the chance of both waterboy and Matt having the superpower gene are abysmal.

    The only example I can name of a current generation super being born to two non-supers is Molly, whose parents died offscreen and may have had unmanifested power.


    Molly's father James Walker had the power to freeze like Tracy..Sylar killed him & thats how Sylar froze Hiro's sword in season 1.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of a_noob_is_rokz

    a_noob_is_rokz

    [113]Sep 23, 2009
    • member since: 04/27/08
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 605
    CharmedOneP391 wrote:
    a_noob_is_rokz wrote:
    ionee24 wrote:

    SVU_number_1fan wrote:
    yea that makes sence because remember that maradith and nathant had claire and they both had powers so i assume people go have powers and have sex give birth to babies that have power

    Nathan was born without an ability despite both of his parents had special abilities - which is the sole reason why Angela and Arthur injected him with the formula - so it's NOT true that all people with special abilities will have children with special abilities, Kimiko Nakamura is another example of someone who was born without a power despite both her mother and brother had one, Monty and Simon Petrelli yet another.

    No, but it is very rare for two normal people to have a super-baby, especially when you consider that there are maybe a few thousand supers in the world. Statistically, the chance of both waterboy and Matt having the superpower gene are abysmal.

    The only example I can name of a current generation super being born to two non-supers is Molly, whose parents died offscreen and may have had unmanifested power.


    Molly's father James Walker had the power to freeze like Tracy..Sylar killed him & thats how Sylar froze Hiro's sword in season 1.
    I stand corrected, then. I forgot those two were related.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of doctorWHO69

    doctorWHO69

    [114]Sep 23, 2009
    • member since: 04/21/07
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,284
    Does anyone else think Gretchen has a power? When she was playing guitar hero,she mentioned that she thought she was getting better with each second.Not confirmation of powers i know,but still,leads to the possibility.Plus,i think she killed Annie.I watched the scene again when Claire walked over to the window when she saw Annie on the pavement outside,and i made sure i looked at Annies' pillow.There was definitely no suicide note there.And yet there was afterwards?? I'm thinking Gretchen put it there.So,if she did both of these things,then i would say it would be a fair assumption that she is working for Samuel.At least,thats my theory
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of feraflower

    feraflower

    [115]Sep 24, 2009
    • member since: 11/05/06
    • level: 17
    • rank: The Crazy Neighbor
    • posts: 323

    Pardon me if I rant a little but this episode(s) could have been a lot better if they had cut down on Claire's storyline. Most of it was just fluff anyway. I did like the little Guitar Hero part, only if because I own Guitar Hero 3 and I'm a sucker for pop culture references. Otherwise, what the heck? It looks like the suicide roommate storyline is going nowhere and seems to just serve the purpose for Gretchen to find out about Claire. By the way (and I am still ranting), why the heck would Claire think it's a good idea to jump stories below on a college campus? Hello!?! It's college. Even at night, there are people walking around or looking for party. She should be lucky it was just Gretchen who found out about her.

    Hiro's was the only person that got as much screentime as Claire. Everyone else got severally underutilized. Especially Nathan/Sylar. All "Nathan" did was talk about wanting to redeem himself, and "flashed" as Sylar when he went to bed. The end. Peter and Matt didn't fare as bad. Peter didn't fare as bad as he did Volume 4 but I would have liked more time with him. Even Matt. Tracey, ehh, I don't about her. She's got good credibility so far but maybe the damage to her has already been done and there's no way they can reverse it. It didn't work with Maya, mind, Tracey isn't even half as annoying as Maya, still.

    CactusJack, you're not alone. I got the creepy feeling HRG and Tracey are going to start up a little romance of their own. Naaa, that's not creepy at all. Wait, they have the rumored lesbian romance too? Must have slipped my mind. . .

    Did anyone notice Kring's personal shout-out to Crossing Jordan? I didn't think too much of it but I have a feeling that some people are going to really corner him on it, just like Michael Bay when he had a Bad Boys poster in Sam's room in Transformers 2.

    On the plus side, I'm really liking Samuel. I'm just wondering, is he going to be like a Magento, trying to recruit heroes into The Brotherhood so they can overthrow human beings? I'm thinking the chances for that are pretty good. And my inner geek squealed into a blissful coma seeing Ray Park aka Darth Marl aka Toad as Edgar. Nice little show of choreography on his part.

    Speaking of, the special effects were not as cringe-worthy as I expected. Sure, a lot of them were shaky but nothing worst than what Heroes has already done. And as for Edgar and Peter's little speed knife-fight. . .the cynic side of me is saying it looked totally fake but my inner childhood self is saying just use your imagination.

    Sounding too much like a review? Sorry, still need to vent. I just really hope they stop giving Claire this obsessive treatment but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. And I never thought I'd have to say this, really, but get Sylar back on more. And Peter. And Matt. Even Tracey.

    Also, I'm very disappointed we never found Danko's motivation. I suppose I'll just have to speculate. All that's vital is how he got the compass under his possession and what the compass is supposed to do.

    As for Gretchen having a power. . .I don't think so but you never know. If she is working for Samuel (maybe wishful thinking as to not have a lesbian storyline play out) and she has an ability to convince people to bow to her will and force Claire to kiss her in order to spill all her secrets. . .eh, don't mind me, but I'm reminded a little too much of Transformers 2, when "Alice" was giving Sam the tongue-job. If Gretchen does anything like that, that would be very disturbing. Sorry, had to get that out there,

    I'd very much like to see if anyone else agrees with the Samuel is another Magneto thing or if there is something else he has in mind.

    Edited on 09/24/2009 1:14am
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of TheRealJayDee

    TheRealJayDee

    [116]Sep 24, 2009
    • member since: 05/10/09
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 36

    I'm really glad to see Peter actually doing something heroic with his powers. He seems to be back to being a nice guy, albeit a bit fanatic. Best Peter since Season 1, not a total idiot anymore. Claire is mostly annoying, just ignore her or at least reduce her screentime. Besides she is still a contender for "morons with powers". Jumping out of the window...

    Hiro and Ando... well, whatever. The funny japanese guys. I don't care much about Matt anymore, although seeing him going crazy is kind of funny. Same goes for Sylar, I'm just not interested in him anymore. Nathan as well. Angela was kind of cool until her unbelievably stupid decision to replace her dead son with a psychotic, overpowered murderer. Now I just despise her.

    Bennet is still my favourite character, although he was part of the "Nathan/Sylar - we all know it's not gonna work anyway" project. Tracy Strauss didn't annoy me as much as I'd have thought, hopefully she and Bennet will just be friends.

    The carnivale posse is interesting. I would have liked it better if the new season started just with them, without the usual crew. Introduce us to the carnivale and it's members and let us meet the known heroes through their eyes. Anyway, good to see Ray Park found himself a new Brotherhood!

    Some things bother me, as usual. Both Peter and Bennet MUST have known that Bennet's life was at stake after he got the compass. There was no reason for the superpowered compass thief not to attack and kill Bennet to get what he wanted after they said goodbye.

    Parkman should be intelligent enough to realize that he needs to do something against his mental problems. First thing that comes to my mind would be consulting Peter, who happens to be a telepath if he wants. Oh, right, that's not an option - Peter might find out his brother's not his brother anymore. Stupid...

    The whole Ando/Hiro's sister relationship did not affect the present in any way? I honestly can't imagine most of Hiro's and Ando's buddy adventures would have happened with Ando being in a relationship with her - should affect the present about as much as Hiro not going to the fortune teller.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shadowspy24

    shadowspy24

    [117]Sep 24, 2009
    • member since: 07/01/05
    • level: 11
    • rank: Red Shirted Lt.
    • posts: 1,226
    I actually liked this episode. They only used the major characters and most of them were involved in the same storyline. It's really annoying when everyone has their own story and they keep switching back and forth between 8 different stories. This time it was like 3 stories so it's good.

    I liked seeing Peter saving those people. Did anyone else get the feeling it wasn't Peter Petrelli we were seeing at first but more like Peter Parker? The spidey powers, the police radio etc it kind of felt like spiderman well until he got the other power.

    The new guys seem weird. What is their agenda and why do they suddenly want to get involved with the heroes now as opposed to before? (i suppose that guy dying had something to do with it.)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of doctorWHO69

    doctorWHO69

    [118]Sep 24, 2009
    • member since: 04/21/07
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 1,284
    I'd have to say,i'm confused about Danko and the compass.Not him having the compass,i guess that will be explained further down the line (hopefully).What confused me is the key,or to be more precise,where he 'hid' it.It looked to me like he had it hidden inside his stomach somehow.He didnt strike me as a guy who would actually go so far as to hiding a key inside his own body.Considering he worked for a secret government agency,surely there was a secure place he couldve hidden it instead?And how did Edgar know exactly where it was? I dont supposed they will be answered,but it got me curious
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of a_noob_is_rokz

    a_noob_is_rokz

    [119]Sep 24, 2009
    • member since: 04/27/08
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 605
    shadowspy24 wrote:

    I liked seeing Peter saving those people. Did anyone else get the feeling it wasn't Peter Petrelli we were seeing at first but more like Peter Parker? The spidey powers, the police radio etc it kind of felt like spiderman well until he got the other power.

    I've begun calling him "Peter Parkour" and calling Sylar "Syler Durden" in honor of their recent antics.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Sirius452

    Sirius452

    [120]Sep 25, 2009
    • member since: 03/10/07
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 1,061

    doctorWHO69 wrote:
    I'd have to say,i'm confused about Danko and the compass.Not him having the compass,i guess that will be explained further down the line (hopefully).What confused me is the key,or to be more precise,where he 'hid' it.It looked to me like he had it hidden inside his stomach somehow.He didnt strike me as a guy who would actually go so far as to hiding a key inside his own body.Considering he worked for a secret government agency,surely there was a secure place he couldve hidden it instead?And how did Edgar know exactly where it was? I dont supposed they will be answered,but it got me curious

    I was wondering about that too. If one assumes he swallowed it, then he must have had a pretty good idea that someone would be coming for it soon. I mean, he would have to pass it eventually right? Surgically implanting it is just crazy.

    Overall I thought the episode was okay. Sylar having a Voldemort moment and splitting in two is pretty interesting. In all those future episodes when Dark Matt exists Sylar is usually around so maybe we'll see Dark Matt in the present this time. Should be fun.

    Like alot of people I could do without the Claire plot. It's too much like a poorly done episode of Veronica Mars. On the plus side, that probably won't last long. Noah and Tracy I don't mind so much really.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.