Heroes Forums

NBC (ended 2010)

Official Discussion Thread - "Upon This Rock/Let it Bleed" **SPOILERS*

voovvz

[21]Jan 5, 2010
    • level: 3

feraflower wrote:
    Sylar is after Claire. AGAIN. Eyeroll.

Yep, that never ending muppet plot tends to repeat itself. I hope they will give thisone up if they do another season.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

zan_sylar

[22]Jan 5, 2010

i honestly liked this episode. i was laughing at Hiro's brain scramble trying to figure out the refrences before ando did. I don't think Sylar and Claire will be romantically involved (um ew) but he's looking for someone to understand him, and Claire has been aware of most of Sylar's acts, so she's the best person in his mind to understand and come to love him. When the tattoo was floating on him i knew it was gonna be claire, i remember when she asked him (when he first cut off her skull) if he was going to kill her and he ssaid no, that she was special and he couldn't kill her if he wanted to. soooo ya.

I liked how HRG didn't get that the carnies are a family shows the difference between humans and specials. i hope he gets killed HRG deserves it, but i do like Lauren. hope she gets a bigger role.

I could care less wether Mohinder gets rescued, id rather have charlie be rescued. i liked Charlie. i hope that hior gets his brain fixed and he and charlie can live semi happily ever after. Oh and what cool episode names, i mean sometimes i think their stupid or their in another language but i actually liked these, epsecially when you put it togtyer into one sentecne anyway thats it for me.

GiancarloChico

[24]Jan 5, 2010
    • level: 7
    i think the reason the writers are just building tension right now is because it worked in the past like in volume one. in volume four all they had was a bunch of action and running away where the plot went nowhere. this season i think that the writers are just trying to pull at our heart strings. if you notice there's so many touching moments in the show with love interests and deep connections between the characters like samuel and how he wants to build a "family", sylar wanting claire, and the death of nathan petrelli's affect on everyone. i think that peter got the flying ability because that's the only way he can honor his brother's memory and reconnect with him. as you saw in "let it bleed" peter was having a hard time dealing with nathan's death and so he simply ran off into danger but now with the flying abililty he put his brother to rest and he can fly like his brother is still there. we all knew nathan as the flyingman. it's what identified him throughout the entire show so i think peter is just trying to be one with his brother. as for him collecting abilities thats not happening. he can only get one power at a time still and i'm sure that the writers are going to keep it that way. as for sylar loving claire or whatever, maybe that's the writer's way of soon making him go on the heroe's side. this season is called redemption after all and who needs the most redemption of any character on the show? sylar. And who can he get it from? clairethe only problem with that is peter's not going to like that and get in the way. idk random theories are random. please feel free to speculate

KingofIPirates

[25]Jan 5, 2010
    • level: 32
    GiancarloChico wrote:
    i think that peter got the flying ability because that's the only way he can honor his brother's memory and reconnect with him. as you saw in "let it bleed" peter was having a hard time dealing with nathan's death and so he simply ran off into danger but now with the flying abililty he put his brother to rest and he can fly like his brother is still there.
    There was a scene prior to him flying of him inquiring about Wes from Claire so presumably he got his power from Wes.

DKII

[26]Jan 5, 2010
    • level: 1
    I kind of wonder if Hiro even realizes that Sylar didn't die at the end of season 1. As far as I know Hiro's been basically on the sidelines since then with the two never encountering each other since (other than Hiro going to the past) so it's conceivable, and would lend more meaning to Hiro telling Sylar that everyone's going to band against him and defeat him and he'll die alone (like at the end of the first season).

KingofIPirates

[27]Jan 5, 2010
    Upon this Rock was a halfway decent episode; got off to a relatively acceptable start and while Hiro was surprisingly slightly amusing in this one it was yet another rehashed plotline of him struggling with brain damage yet again, the other downside was Claire's quest for normalcy which was of course painful to watch.
    As the episode progressed the plot seemingly deteriorated as a number of scenes began feeling contrived especially Claires instant belief of Samuels story and the sudden willingness to condone his behavior so much so they seem to be on relatively good terms with him. Let it bleed was Mediocre at best,about the only two particularly scenes of interest that occured in this one was Sylar's encouter with Samuel and Lydia. Other than that it was either bland or melodramatic for the most part. While I did find the line describing Sylar impotence amusing, I didn't like the aspect of a now seemingly neutered Sylar once again dealing with his emotional baggage.
    a_noob_is_rokz wrote:
    So, KOP, on one hand I'm tempted to type toldyaso in all caps because I was right about Sylar not needing an in depth psychoanalysis of a person to take an ability empathically.
    You forget that Sylar has the power of Clairsentience where he's able to perceive the history of an object or person by touching them.

cactusjack39

[28]Jan 5, 2010
    • level: 30
    DKII wrote:
    I kind of wonder if Hiro even realizes that Sylar didn't die at the end of season 1. As far as I know Hiro's been basically on the sidelines since then with the two never encountering each other since (other than Hiro going to the past) so it's conceivable, and would lend more meaning to Hiro telling Sylar that everyone's going to band against him and defeat him and he'll die alone (like at the end of the first season).
    Hiro was there when "Sylar" was burned crispy while everyone watched in the season finale of season 3.

a_noob_is_rokz

[29]Jan 5, 2010
    • level: 9

KingofIPirates wrote:
    a_noob_is_rokz wrote:
    So, KOP, on one hand I'm tempted to type toldyaso in all caps because I was right about Sylar not needing an in depth psychoanalysis of a person to take an ability empathically.
    You forget that Sylar has the power of Clairsentience where he's able to perceive the history of an object or person by touching them.
    If he could do it with just clairsentience that would give him the ability to take people's powers by touching something they had touched and he would have had her power (and the powers of the other carnies) a long time ago. He would have been able to take shapeshifting without hunting James. Clairsentience gives him people's memories, not the ability to understand people's emotions. Besides, we were never given any reason to believe that he took her memories and Sylar has never been shown using the ability by accident (except as Nathan, but he was using telekinesis and electrokinesis by accident too).

cactusjack39 wrote:
    DKII wrote:
    Hiro was there when "Sylar" was burned crispy while everyone watched in the season finale of season 3.
    They also had a brief encounter prior to Elle's death.

Edited on 01/05/2010 2:55pm

DKII

[30]Jan 5, 2010
    cactusjack39 wrote:
    DKII wrote:

Ah right I kind of blocked that scene out since I found the Sylathan thing to be annoying and stupid. Hiro still thinks Sylar's dead though.

KingofIPirates

[31]Jan 5, 2010
    a_noob_is_rokz wrote:
    If he could do it with just clairsentience that would give him the ability to take people's powers by touching something they had touched and he would have had her power (and the powers of the other carnies) a long time ago.
    Clairsentience only gives the person's history.. not the actual person's physical body which would be a requirement.
    a_noob_is_rokz wrote:
    He would have been able to take shapeshifting without hunting James.
    Sylar hadn't even made contact with James until he was inside the nightclub. Plus he was trying to align himself with Danko by offering his help.

a_noob_is_rokz wrote:
    Clairsentience gives him people's memories, not the ability to understand people's emotions.
    You can understand someones emotions if you know their history, thus understanding why they do the things they do.

a_noob_is_rokz wrote:
    Besides, we were never given any reason to believe that he took her memories
    It was already demonstrated in Volume 4 where Sylar used Clairsentience in order to impersonate Nathan Petrelli and thus was able to understand him through the memories he obtained which led to him getting flight from Nathan himself.
    Edited on 01/05/2010 3:33pm

dubbielost

[32]Jan 5, 2010
    • level: 2
    i wounder y sylar couldnt use his finger skall opener power theres some thing wrong there

thetruesora

[33]Jan 5, 2010
    • level: 22
    Samuel was protected by the power of plot armour.

dubbielost

[34]Jan 5, 2010
    • level: 2
    i think its something deeper

oldsage

[35]Jan 5, 2010
    • level: 9

master_prince wrote:
    Did anyone else notice Peter got his powers back? He flew to the police site.. then had the Hatians powers and later took Claires powers before flying off again. Peter is gathering powers.. I think next he'll be looking for Hiro.. He wants the ability to heal and control time.. that's the only way to beat Sylar and Samuel at the same time.

Interesting point. Although there's no evidence that Peter flew to the crime scene, when Claire arrived they were still talking about over the scanner, but they could have been talking about it for some time and Peter could have snuck out or used the fire escape.

However, I am curious whether the writers are going to return Peter's full powers, using the excuse of absorbing Claire's "special" healing power having somehow cured whatever Arthur Petrelli did to his son. He absorbed West's power now, and perhaps he'll discover that he has retained Claire's healing power.

Who knows? This show has to do something to break the inertia.

KingofIPirates

[36]Jan 5, 2010
    dubbielost wrote:
    i wounder y sylar couldnt use his finger skall opener power theres some thing wrong there
    Didn't you hear? He's impotent now.
    thetruesora wrote:
    Samuel was protected by the power of plot armour.
    Most definitely, the plot device impotency syndrome couldn't have been laid on more thickly or done at a more convenient time.
    Edited on 01/05/2010 9:05pm
    Edited 2 total times.

HowieMengler

[37]Jan 5, 2010
    OMG!!! Heroes has turned into a soap opera!!... The show used to be a voyage of discovery.... "Save The Cheerleader, Save The World!!!" Magnificent!!! That the powers we see these Characters have, Have become a matter of course.... secondary..... plot thickeners, devices that are merely an excuse, for truly boring dialogue and a weekly Sorry, Weak story-line, can mean only one thing. the Writers/Producers have become fat/lunch hunting/what show can i produce next? boring shadows of their former selves.........The vision Kring brought to the screen is now dimmed by the cataract of sucksess.... The show has become burdened by it's own impossibility... it's now an excuse to sell telephones... Which Is A Crap Reason To Keep It On The Air.....

A Lost Fan
    Edited on 01/05/2010 11:23pm
    Edited 2 total times.

tvssecondchild

[38]Jan 6, 2010
    • level: 14

It's clear now that Heroes will struggle because there seem to be three factions:

Those who complain that this season won't be as good as Season 1 (time to move on from those thoughts, in my opinion)

Those who enjoy character development (if it's obvious enough: rmantic scenes, fighting, death, etc.)

Those who enjoy more action and less character development (Peter vs. Sylar fights, Noah interogations, etc)

We can't get our cake and eat it too.

I did enjoy Upon this Rock, a little more than Let it Bleed.

I thought upon this rock did give us more in depth about Samuel and his 'good intentions' by his attempt to gather everyone.

In fact in Let in Bleed it begins with a flashback (86 hours) but was there ever a moment when the episode was "Present Day?" or was the entire episode a flashback?

On a side note, nice to hear West's name again... although not actually seeing him.

Claire's anger and bitterness now can only be calmed by Peter, I predict she'll go 'over the edge' soon and who can stop her?

Sylar is usually the wild card. I can never tell if he wants to 'feed' or learn more about himself.

I'm hoping for a great finale, but only time will tell.

thetruesora

[39]Jan 6, 2010
    • level: 22
    it went to being present day as soon as they closed the boot and it went to showing the wake. the only stuff that was "86 hours ago" was just that quick bit of Peter meeting Noah, seeing Nathan's dead body and talking about setting it up so it looked like he died in a plane crash.

tvondemand

[40]Jan 6, 2010

I can't believe the new camera work. Is somebodies kid behind the camera? What's with all the lens-flares and back-lights.The switching from a characters behaviour from left to right? The unbelievable bad special, as in on sale special, effect that floored Sylar.....pffff this show is loosing it.

Edited on 01/06/2010 8:16am

I_AM_DH

[41]Jan 6, 2010
    I didn't think the two episodes were bad. They just were slow and kind of boring. That said, it wasn't as good as i expected.