Heroes Forums

NBC (ended 2010)

Why I'm concerned about getting into another NBC saga

Bloomman

[1]Sep 25, 2006
    • level: 4
    I am worried about getting into this show for one reason. Surface. It seems like it might be another show that NBC gets you into, makes you watch a whole season, and then cancels with no warning or any kind of closure.

What makes me think this? Perhaps it's the similarities in the show (multiple characters all set to eventually converge on one another). Could be the day the show is aired (Monday). Possibly it's the fact they used the same guy in the end of show trailer to do the voice over. I mean didn't it seem like they just took his voice clips from last seasons Surface "Next weeks episode" and "Last week on Surface recaps" and play them over?

My point? I liked Surface, perhaps I was alone, but I liked it. They could have moved it to the Friday night TV graveyard or something to give us a half season of explinations. Will they do the same thing to us here? Get us all involed in the plot and characters just to leave us when the climax occurs?

Will I watch this? Yes... But this is your last chance NBC! Don't leave me hanging with no answers again or I might just have to go back to reading books.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BelvadereRules

[2]Sep 25, 2006
    • level: 5

Best thing you can do with these serial type shows is to keep an eye on the ratings. If the ratings decrease consistently over the next few episodes after the pilot then it doesn't bode well for the show. I used that approach to ditch Invasion and Reunion early so I wouldn't be upset when they got cancelled and left you in the middle of an unanswered plot.

As for Heroes, I think the timeslot is perfect for the fall. Vanished looks like crap, and the Bachelor is old. The only ratings grabber is 2&1/2 men but that's a comedy, so for people who want drama Heroes will be a great choice. The real problem will come in January when 24 returns, but since I have a DVR I can watch both.

Minarvia

[3]Sep 26, 2006
    • level: 39
    Another problem is Monday Night Football, which airs now a half-hour earlier then it did last year.

tramlaw301

[4]Sep 26, 2006
    • level: 18

Sci-Fi shows have a history of being mishandled by Networks. At the end of the Pilot episode all I could think of was here we go again!!!  Heroes has so much potential and they actually came up with a semi-original idea that could work.  I could feel myself getting attached to the characters and then it hit me, this show could get canceled before I get a chance to see what this show can do. 

I'm going to do my part.  I'll watch the show and pray that it has enough ratings to stay on the air. 

Summie444

[5]Sep 26, 2006
    • level: 10
    tramlaw301 wrote:

Sci-Fi shows have a history of being mishandled by Networks. At the end of the Pilot episode all I could think of was here we go again!!! Heroes has so much potential and they actually came up with a semi-original idea that could work. I could feel myself getting attached to the characters and then it hit me, this show could get canceled before I get a chance to see what this show can do.

I'm going to do my part. I'll watch the show and pray that it has enough ratings to stay on the air.

Semi-original at best because the plot is rather similar to that of The 4400.

pgsuperfan

[6]Sep 26, 2006
    • level: 25
    tramlaw301 wrote:

Sci-Fi shows have a history of being mishandled by Networks. At the end of the Pilot episode all I could think of was here we go again!!!  Heroes has so much potential and they actually came up with a semi-original idea that could work.  I could feel myself getting attached to the characters and then it hit me, this show could get canceled before I get a chance to see what this show can do. 

I'm going to do my part.  I'll watch the show and pray that it has enough ratings to stay on the air. 

I agree NBC cut SURFACE will they give HEROS a chance?

pgsuperfan

[7]Sep 26, 2006
    • level: 25
    Summie444 wrote:
    tramlaw301 wrote:

Sci-Fi shows have a history of being mishandled by Networks. At the end of the Pilot episode all I could think of was here we go again!!! Heroes has so much potential and they actually came up with a semi-original idea that could work. I could feel myself getting attached to the characters and then it hit me, this show could get canceled before I get a chance to see what this show can do.

I'm going to do my part. I'll watch the show and pray that it has enough ratings to stay on the air.

Does kinda remind me of the 4400

SMGslayer97

[8]Sep 26, 2006
    • level: 34
    pgsuperfan wrote:
    Summie444 wrote:
    tramlaw301 wrote:

That's just what I was thinking when I watched it and I have been a 4400 fan since season 1. But...they have only aired one episode so we don't actually know how similar it is yet. Does kinda remind me of the 4400

philly_phenom

[9]Sep 26, 2006
    • level: 8
    IMO, questions about the doom of serial shows are self fulfilling prophecies.

Just about every show has a larger audience for it's pilot than for subsequent eps. Most people will tune in to a new show to see what it's about, then because people have different tastes, some will stop watching (regardless of the shows quality).

I think the problem with Invasion, Threshold & Surface was that people took the inevitable decline in ratings as a signal that the show wouldn't survive, so they stopped watching because they didn't want to get caught up in a serial that they figured would be cancelled - this further drove the ratings lower - spawning more departures which finally led to the show's demise.

DevSingh1359

[11]Sep 26, 2006
    • level: 4
    The timeslot is perfect for me, because usually there isn't anything for me to watch on Mondays. Now it's Heroes on Mondays, House on Tuesdays, Lost on Wednesdays, Smallville/Supernatural on Thursdays.

JaceJones

[12]Sep 26, 2006
    I honestly don't see Heroes getting cancelled anytime soon. There's so much buzz going into this show already, so much advertisement, and so much critic love that they'd be ridiculous to cancel it.

Surface is a show I never heard about until I got an iPod and went on iTunes to glance at the TV shows they had on there. I NEVER saw ads for Surface on any other channel I watch, and I see ads for Heroes all over the place.

JaceJones

[13]Sep 26, 2006
    DevSingh1359 wrote:
    The timeslot is perfect for me, because usually there isn't anything for me to watch on Mondays. Now it's Heroes on Mondays, House on Tuesdays, Lost on Wednesdays, Smallville/Supernatural on Thursdays.

Add Nip/Tuck on Tuesdays after House.

Polishleprechan

[14]Oct 1, 2006
    • level: 1
    What!? They cancelled Surface!? NOOOOOOO! ((cries))

GODHOOD

[15]Oct 1, 2006
    • level: 17
    The best thing you can do is get people to watch, tell your coworkers, your family your friends that don't know about it. Record all those other shows that come on at 9 p.m. even football, but watch Heroes live. The big tests will be the next couple of episodes if the ratings go up or down, but if people stop watching because they assume it's going to get canceled than it will.

gamerd14

[16]Oct 1, 2006
    • level: 9
    Well, at least you don't have to worry about Medium getting in the way of ratings for Heroes. NBC decided to move it to Sunday nights after football starting in January, a good move of their part part because both Heroes an Medium are hit Dramas.

funkProphet

[17]Oct 1, 2006
    • level: 2
    Warning to NBC if they cancel this show:

I will use my time/space powers to teleport into the NBC headquarters, use my flying powers to fly up to the top of the building, use my telekinetic powers to BLOW THAT BUILDING SKY HIGH, then use my super healing powers to survive it all!

Don't cancel "Heroes" NBC!
    You have beeen warned!

kellers1543

[18]Oct 1, 2006
    • level: 11
    I like Heroes and REALLY don't want it to get cancelled , leave at climax, ect. but I'm not really "attached" enough yet but whos knows maybe I will get attached.

SciFi_Junkie

[19]Oct 1, 2006
    • level: 1
    pgsuperfan wrote:
    Summie444 wrote:
    tramlaw301 wrote:

Does kinda remind me of the 4400

Why 4400? This is almost identical to X-Men. Random members of the populous getting "Mutant powers" and the prejudice that goes with it?

antifrantik

[20]Oct 2, 2006
    • level: 7
    SciFi_Junkie wrote:
    Why 4400? This is almost identical to X-Men. Random members of the populous getting "Mutant powers" and the prejudice that goes with it?

hold on....where does the prejudice come in? Enlighten me.