Heroes Forums

NBC (ended 2010)

Why I'm concerned about getting into another NBC saga

laserguns

[21]Oct 2, 2006
    • level: 3
    I LOVED Surface.....

Hopefully Heroes will last more than a season, I believe it will.

Hopefully Surface will get picked up by someone (anyone).

Hopefully in S2 of Heroes there will be a guy that can control metals and there will also be a guy that has metal claw-like knives that he can manually protrude from his knuckles. And those two guys will fight.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Smoker25

[22]Oct 2, 2006
    • level: 15
    Bloomman wrote:
    I am worried about getting into this show for one reason. Surface. It seems like it might be another show that NBC gets you into, makes you watch a whole season, and then cancels with no warning or any kind of closure.

What makes me think this? Perhaps it's the similarities in the show (multiple characters all set to eventually converge on one another). Could be the day the show is aired (Monday). Possibly it's the fact they used the same guy in the end of show trailer to do the voice over. I mean didn't it seem like they just took his voice clips from last seasons Surface "Next weeks episode" and "Last week on Surface recaps" and play them over?

My point? I liked Surface, perhaps I was alone, but I liked it. They could have moved it to the Friday night TV graveyard or something to give us a half season of explinations. Will they do the same thing to us here? Get us all involed in the plot and characters just to leave us when the climax occurs?

Will I watch this? Yes... But this is your last chance NBC! Don't leave me hanging with no answers again or I might just have to go back to reading books.

I hate NBC because it killed my last fav sow, Surface. It left me on a cliffhanger and I am still holding on for dear life. Another good show was Windfall. The minute I watched Windfal I said, "I shouldn't watch this because its going to get canceled" Guess what! I was right! BUT FOR ONCE I HOPE HEROS GETS CANCELED. Why? Because its getting the popularity a better show(4400) deserved. This show copys 4400 and Im pissed aout it

Minarvia

[23]Oct 2, 2006
    • level: 39

[QUOTE="Smoker25]

BUT FOR ONCE I HOPE HEROS GETS CANCELED. Why? Because its getting the popularity a better show(4400) deserved. This show copys 4400 and Im pissed aout it [/QUOTE]

That what you get on being on one of the five major national networks

tveejnky

[24]Oct 2, 2006
    • level: 8
    philly_phenom wrote:
    IMO, questions about the doom of serial shows are self fulfilling prophecies.

Just about every show has a larger audience for it's pilot than for subsequent eps. Most people will tune in to a new show to see what it's about, then because people have different tastes, some will stop watching (regardless of the shows quality).

I think the problem with Invasion, Threshold & Surface was that people took the inevitable decline in ratings as a signal that the show wouldn't survive, so they stopped watching because they didn't want to get caught up in a serial that they figured would be cancelled - this further drove the ratings lower - spawning more departures which finally led to the show's demise.

I agree. If you like a show you just have to watch it. If the ratings start to take a dive, write letters or start a petition. Sure, petitions dont always work but they do get more notice when done BEFORE a network has decided to cancel it. Sci-fi shows especially need to be watched because they are outside the box of the normal reality/crime shows that are "safe" to the networks. Does anyone know if they can track how many people are watching "Heroes" online?

azoric

[25]Oct 2, 2006
    • level: 5
    Heroes, Surface, the 4400...

I see I'm among friends here!

Soulse

[26]Oct 2, 2006
    • level: 4
    I'd have a hard time believing that heroes would be cancelled, espically with its great time slot. I know mondays aren't the best, but its right before Studio 60 which is turning into a hit already and is highly promoted. Not to mention if you miss an episode of Heroes you can always catch it Friday on Sci-fi. If it does get cancelled NBC are silly little fools.
    Edited on 10/02/2006 2:40pm
    Edited 2 total times.

jmac4ever

[27]Oct 2, 2006
    • level: 5

tveejnky wrote:
    philly_phenom wrote:
    IMO, questions about the doom of serial shows are self fulfilling prophecies. Just about every show has a larger audience for it's pilot than for subsequent eps. Most people will tune in to a new show to see what it's about, then because people have different tastes, some will stop watching (regardless of the shows quality). I think the problem with Invasion, Threshold & Surface was that people took the inevitable decline in ratings as a signal that the show wouldn't survive, so they stopped watching because they didn't want to get caught up in a serial that they figured would be cancelled - this further drove the ratings lower - spawning more departures which finally led to the show's demise.
    I agree. If you like a show you just have to watch it. If the ratings start to take a dive, write letters or start a petition. Sure, petitions dont always work but they do get more notice when done BEFORE a network has decided to cancel it. Sci-fi shows especially need to be watched because they are outside the box of the normal reality/crime shows that are "safe" to the networks. Does anyone know if they can track how many people are watching "Heroes" online?

That brings up another point: Who are these people that watch these stupid, lame, boring, droll, copycat crime drama shows?  If there's no ongoing storyline, why watch from one week to the next?  There's no reason!  If you miss one, so what?  What have you missed?  Some other guy did some crazy s$%# and he got caught........or he didn't.  Either way, your not going to hear about it ever again so why give a s$^&?  Why are shows that have no reason to tune in one week to the next getting higher ratings than the ones you have to tune in for every week?  Are our attention spans that short? 

Soulse

[28]Oct 2, 2006
    • level: 4
    jmac4ever wrote:

tveejnky wrote:
    philly_phenom wrote:
    IMO, questions about the doom of serial shows are self fulfilling prophecies. Just about every show has a larger audience for it's pilot than for subsequent eps. Most people will tune in to a new show to see what it's about, then because people have different tastes, some will stop watching (regardless of the shows quality). I think the problem with Invasion, Threshold & Surface was that people took the inevitable decline in ratings as a signal that the show wouldn't survive, so they stopped watching because they didn't want to get caught up in a serial that they figured would be cancelled - this further drove the ratings lower - spawning more departures which finally led to the show's demise.

That brings up another point: Who are these people that watch these stupid, lame, boring, droll, copycat crime drama shows?  If there's no ongoing storyline, why watch from one week to the next?  There's no reason!  If you miss one, so what?  What have you missed?  Some other guy did some crazy s$%# and he got caught........or he didn't.  Either way, your not going to hear about it ever again so why give a s$^&?  Why are shows that have no reason to tune in one week to the next getting higher ratings than the ones you have to tune in for every week?  Are our attention spans that short? 

I've always wondered about that too.  My theory is that the majority of people watching it don't have enough time to watch a series from one show to the next and tend to watch it when they feel like watching tv.  Though that doesnt really reflect the ratings...?  Oh, I don't know maybe we all have add, j/k.

Maserati777

[29]Oct 2, 2006
    • level: 10
    FOX cancelled Reunion, Tru Calling and Do Over, ABC cancelled Invasion, and NBC cancelled Surface & Windfall. All of which were shows I watched. The 4400 is the only lucky one for being put on USA Network. USA doesn't cancel small shows and I figure Surface would've survived had it been on USA or Sci-Fi. Heroes is a great new show. Unless NBC wants to stay in 4th place, I'd suggest not cancelling it. I think the major networks need to get some more interesting shows. So far Standoff, Kiddnapped, The Nine, Six Degrees and Heroes are the only interesting hour long new shows.

tveejnky

[30]Oct 2, 2006
    jmac4ever wrote:

tveejnky wrote:
    philly_phenom wrote:

LOL, I share your feelings. It is sad that the majority of the people watching television are entertained by predictability and repitition. They are kind of like lab rats.

tveejnky

[31]Oct 2, 2006
    jmac4ever wrote:

tveejnky wrote:
    philly_phenom wrote:

LOL, I share your feelings. It is sad that the majority of the people watching television are entertained by predictability and repitition. They are kind of like lab rats.

Maserati777

[32]Jun 21, 2012
    • level: 10

If only we knew then what we know now.