Heroes

Our Father

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Dec 08, 2008 on NBC

• The story is now moving back in the right direction.

As revealed at the end of the previous episode, Sylar as decided once and for all who he is. His lack of self identity over the course of the last two seasons seems to have greatly contributed to its shortcomings. And Zachary Quinto brings a marvelous dark humor to the character more than I remember in the past. And the writer's made this change at exactly the right time as the winter hiatus is only one episode away.

Hiro and Claire in the past was very entertaining, although the motivation to go to the past was a bit odd. But this cause was nothing more than the writers' struggle to reclaim the gold they had lost within the past two years. The Writer's strike is certainly a valid scapegoat. Their actions in the past fixed so many assumptions that the viewer were led to believe. *SPOILER HERE* The revelation that Claire believed herself to be the catalyst was corny. It's obvious that the writers can't attribute every mystery to her. So the writer's show the transfer of the catalyst, and the destruction of the catalyst within the single half-hour period. *END SPOILER*

The introduction of sketchbook Isaac gave away before his death should finally limit the future seeing. If the writers limit the foresight in future episodes as they have done in the past, the storyline shouldn't be so... bad. However, travels to the past should continue as they are revealing and can be occasionally clever especially as the rule that what's in the past cannot be changed continues to be followed.

The story for this episode was simple yet entertaining. I feel it is time to celebrate because the slump is over. With the return of a former writer and the freshness of a new story arc, the only place that the quality of this story will go is up.
  • Absolutely amazing!!

So much happened in this episode that surprised the CRAP out of me.....

*SPOILERS*

1.) Hiro is the catalyst!!
    2.) His MOM gave it to him...which was a beautiful scene!
    3.) Hiro is stuck in time and Ando needs to save him!
    3.) Nathan is the new leader of Pinehearst!
    4.) Arthur Petrelli is DEAD!
    5.) Sylar killed him!

Full out amazing episode that felt more like season one than any other episode this season. It gave more depth to many of the characters and gave us an incredible premise for future episodes. This is one that you don't want to miss, so GO WATCH IT!
  • The last of Isaac's sketches are found, Hiro & Claire are lost in time, Ando is planning to obtain an ability, Angela has Peter and the Haitian team up against Arthur, Sylar is back to his old self, Nathan, Tracy, and Mohinder start something dangerous!!

That episode was amazing!! It almost made me cry, it made me super-excited and worried about my favorite characters' lives, we got a chance to see pretty much everyone who appear fairly regularly on Heroes this season (even Elle regardless of the fact that she was dead), etc!

Claire's interactions with a 10-year-old, non-English speaking Hiro in a time 16 years prior were hilarious, Claire's interactions with her mother and herself as a baby were so cute, and her interactions with a wary Noah were so exciting and amazing and what I live for when watching this show! :D

Hiro seeing his parents, especially his father who doesn't believe in him and his mother whom he missed so much, was just amazing. The Hiro/his mother scene - both when Hiro was in the mindset of a 10-year-old and when he was an adult - were both so bittersweet and amazing and brought a tear to my eye.

The Ando/Matt/Daphne team was the cutest thing ever, and all 3 of them just brought smiles to my face throughout the episode. But Ando is going to get the red lightning abiltiy we saw from the future!! OH NO!! Lol. ;)

The Nathan/Arthur/Tracy(/Mohinder) team however is quite the opposite from the aforementioned team and is horrifying. WOW. I'm loving and hating confused Nathan - like we should, sort of like season 1. We care about him, he's fun to watch, but we worry for his life and worry about what he's planning on doing to the world!!

Peter and The Haitian were fun to watch, I was yelling at Peter by the end to just shoot Arthur, his waiting was his doom, lol!! And The Haitian having to strain because of Arthur's power was a really nice touch, I thought.

Sylar, of course, showed up in the nick of time!! :D And he... well... I guess I have to say it - saved the day! LOL. But I'm worried about The Haitian's fate - well really everyone within close proximity to Sylar now, including Nathan, Tracy, Angela, and even Mohinder! Backtracking a bit to Sylar's scene near the beginning where he killed birthday-girl Sue in her Office and then maybe killed the people surprising her was so horribly and wonderfully funny and a great reminder of season 1 and how much I loved it. :D And the elevator scene - from the hilarious elevator music to Sylar's bloody shirt to panning across to suddenly see a poor office working scared to death, to Sylar's comment about the ability and saying "it does tingle" with that guy standing there - I was definitely laughing out loud.

All in all amazing episode, with Elle officially dead and cremated the murderer's way, Arthur really dead (hopefully), Claire no longer the catalyst but stuck back 16 years ago with Hiro, Hiro's memory finally regained, Nathan becoming leader of Pinehearst and giving a first ability out, and Sylar being Sylar again and knowing that he's not really an extension of the already pretty huge Petrelli family, this episode was DEFINITELY a pivotal episode!! Send me a message if you agree or disagree or whatever, I'd love to talk with you about Heroes. ;)
  • The best yet :)

Wow. This episode was by far the best this season. The writers are taking a great step of from what it was previously. Anyone who watched this episode can say that it was much better than the others it was just packed with things but in a good way. Some might say Heroes was going downhill but the episode says the exact opposite time kring promised loast good episodes and he kept it. It was just brillliant words can't describe how good it was you have to see it. This episode reminding me why I watch this wonderful show :)
  • Lost but not found. The beloved magical touch made legendary in Season 1 has finally made its Second Coming. Welcome back Heroes, and may you have a long life ahead of you. The best this series has to offer.

Not since two years ago has Heroes left such an impression on me that has me jumping up and down with joy. What would prove to be very embarrassing for a grown man has awakened my inner geek inside. Everything... everything about this episode was simply mesmerizing: the characters, story, music, writing; I enjoyed everything.

Season 2 had the character development of Season 1. Season 3 had the story. Now, Our Father has not only managed to combine the two winning aspects of Season 1, but trumped any previous attempt. This is by far Heroes' finest hour, and I couldn't ask for a better lead in to the volume's finale.

I was on the edge of my seat the whole hour; couldn't miss a single beat.

I am geeking out right now. Matter of fact, this is my first time writing a review for this site. Not that I have never tried before. Believe me, I have. It's just I had no idea what to write about, and it took me a long time to just come up with one sentence. Everything had to be just right. I realized then, that it sounded to recap-ish. So I deleted everything, wiped it from my hard drive as who would want to read a boring recap for a review. Now, I understand.

This episode has inspired me to take a more spontaneous approach. Works wonders. For me, this is the best way to go about giving impressions, and I can think of no other episode more suited for my first review. Here is to many more to come.

Whether you have this on DVR or waiting for NBC to throw the episode up on their website, you owe it to yourself to catch this once in a lifetime episode... What are you waiting for?!? Go; GO NOW!!! Watch Heroes' historic comeback! And last but not least, may I extend an open hand to all those who jumped ship prior to this episode. Welcome back! Heroes is here to stay.
  • Best HEROES Episode EVER!!!!!!!!(spoilers warning)

this episode was the best in the series till now, well atleast in season 3. the 3rd season was really great actually, i loved it, and i dont care about the stupid critics, I LOVE HEROES!. But this episode was special, i never thought not even a single moment that hiro will be lost in time, and arthur, yes arthur DIES! And my Lovely sylar that i miss in the show is back, and what a hell of a return. And peter, he acually shot his father....that was really shocking. Overall this episode was absolutely amazing, Ireally give it a 100 not a 10. This show really shows the meaning of TV series, and not bunch of crap like supernatural and some stupid comedy shows, THIS IS the BEST!
  • In this episode we get to meet some old and new Heroes. See new and synthetic abilities evolve. Hiro continues his journey with Claire 16 years in the past and meets his father and mother once more.

The episode starts with Hiro and Claire at the deveaux rooftop where Bennet accepted baby Claire as a company assignment. Hiro read in the comic that he and Claire need to prevent baby Claire becoming the catalyst.

We see Ishi and Kaito talk about using baby Claire as the catalyst which is now in Ishi who is very ill. When young Hiro sees a pigeon who is almost dead in a cage he asks his mother to heal it.

In the present dat we see Sylar getting a call from Arthur. In this conversation Sylar is telling Arthur that he wants to now the truth and that he is operating by himself from now when the name Sue Landers shows up. The scene continues with Sylar burning Elle's body.

Peter and The Haitian are going to try and stop Arthur because Nathan has gone native. Peter and The Haitian are the only ones who can stop Arthur now.

In the next scene we see Nathan joining with Arthur and supporting his plan for use of synthetic abilities. Claire meets Sandra in the past and helps with taking care of little Claire. In the next scene Sylar is visiting Sue Landers to take here power which is 'Human Lie Detection'. Daphne, Matt and Ando get their hands on Isaac's Sketchbook. Hiro gets his memory healed by his mother and becomes the catalyst. When he and Claire try to leave Arthur shows op and absorbs Hiro's power and the light, Arthur now becomes the new catalyst. Arthur sends Claire back and pushes hero of the rooftop

Sylar now has the ability to detect lies and confronts Arthur when he meets Peter and The Haitian, Peter fires the gun. Sylar stops the buleet claiming Peter is not a killer, and he kills Arthur which already used the light to make synthetic abilities.

Scott, the test subject now has the synthetic ability of 'Enchaned Strength'.
  • This episode was freaking incredible. EVERYTHING was right. EVERYTHING was there. and it all clicked.

Never since season 1 has an episode had me shaking in my boots. IT WAS AMAZING. such good writing. i'm glad Tim Kring fired those lousy producers. now we've got this!!!

Sylar killed Elle. Why??? to prove who he was? he already had her power. maybe it was to get mastery of it.
    The scene between Hiro and his mom was incredibly touching and so was Claires. And when Hiro got his memory back... just wow.
    The most shocking thing was when Hiro lost his power. WHY??? i hope he gets it back somehow and soon.

SYLAR'S BACK BABY!!! i really forgot how scary he can be. Great scene.
    "Cake?"

The way he killed Arthur was the way it should have been. i don't want to see the dark side Peter. he's developed so much since he lost his power. arthur i think is dead forever. Catalyst escaped from him.

Overall BEST Episode since Season 1 and it surpasses pretty much ALL of Season 1 as well. Must see episode. Can't wait for the finale.
  • This episode started at the roof top with Claire & Hiro, when I saw that Hiro mom save the bird I knew she would help Hiro, I got really excited when he got his memory back. I am glad Sylar is back to his real personality that the Sylar I like to see.

Another great episode and it got a 9.3 score first one in this season. I liked very much specially Sylar I don't know why he is becoming one of my favorite character, Peter need to get his powers back to see really good kick ass fight. I hope Ando get powers and go help Hiro, I don't know how Arthur knew to go back to 16 years and the exactly location. But I am glad Arthur is dead, I dint know that Sylar could walk free around the Haitian what is up with that, cant wait to next week. but i love it..
  • Hiro and Claire travel to the past. Nathan takes over Pinehurst and starts testing the formula. Peter is given the task of shooting Arthur but gets a visit from Sylar

This episode was awesome! This is why I watch this show. This episode had it all. Hiro provided comedy interacting with Claire. Also a dramatic moment when he saw his mother and she healed him. Then gave him the light, which he quickly lost to Arthur along with his ability. Sylar is back to his old ways, and did provided some comedic relief when he got on the elevator all bloody. The tingly feeling is a rip from the Spider Sense. Arthur just appearing and taking Hiro's ability like nothing shows that the main villain can always just appear out of nowhere and do whatever he/she wants. Hiro now lost his powers, looks like Ando gets to play the Hero now. Wasn't Hiro's mom the young Japanese girl from Karate Kid 2?
    Sylar killing Arthur was just too cool. Sylar and Peter got to have some respect for one another to a certain extent. After all Peter is like a thorn at Sylar's side.
    Heroes is back on track baby.
  • Great episode especially the Hiro storyline

This episode looks like something stolen from the first season. Great storyline full with emotions. Hiro meets his dead mother. Clear try to save herself. Sylar is bed again and kills Arthur. The storyline is convincing and is a big step up from the previous episodes. Downside i am really not verty interested in seeing Nathan and Jessy as the major bad bosses next episode. I hope for some great conclusion of the volume. But Sylar has his power back and Peter is powerless and if the formula don't restore the powers to him and Hiro there is gona be no one to stand in his way.
  • This episode is exactaly why i love watching the show.

This episode was very touching. To see Hiro as an adult going backwards in time to meet his mother. When she realized who he was, their embrace and tears touched my heart. Who better than his mother to heal him. After she gave him the catalyst, she dies. Imagine looking at your own mother dying before you, again.

Clair had her own problems. Gaining the trust of the woman who would become her mother was easy. Gaining the trust of Noah, a man who can see through people, that was a challenge. Although he did not say it, one can tell he suspected Clair to be his daughter from the future. After all, look at the organization he works for. Time travel is common place in his business.

Sadly Arthur got the catalyst and drained Hiro of his powers and tried to kill him. He sends Clair to the present to give a message on his behalf. I love the way Nathan is evolving. He was good, but is becoming corrupt just like his father to create an army. It is obvious that Peter and Nathan will have to fight one another . Poor Peter, he is without any power.

Sylar is back to his own tricks. I can imagine the thoughts that were going through the girls mind as he was about to take her power. I pity those individuals that came in to give her a surprise Birthday party. The surprise was on them. Once he discover the truth that Arthur was not his father, it was a brilliant move to him as the one to kill Arthur.

Now Ando, Matt and Daphne must find another time traveler to go backwards in time to save Hiro. Poor guy, he regains his memory only to find himself holding onto a flagpole for dear life.

Every episode gets better and better. Tim Kring and his staff are delivering the goods as they promised. It will make me (I am sure others) sad when the final episode is shown on the 15th. I cannot wait until the following year to see what happens to our Heroes.
  • Heroes did it again .

Just when I was starting to doubt about my favourite show this episode comes along and errases ( much like the Hiatian ) any glimpse of it out of my mind.This episode was excellent. The whole past sequence was perfectly timed and without time errors. The only thing I don't understand is why Arthur doesn't take Claire's power. Finally Hiro gains some presence this season and it was about time I was getting tired of his storyline. The formula thing is so simillar to the 4400 that they even try it on a 4400 actor! I think that was funny,it was a message from the production something like I don't give a damn about criticism although many people will probably complain about it. Sylar is back ! He finally takes a side and I think is the right one for the sake of the show and he kills Arthur , does he ? It wasn't suppose to be a shot on the back of his head ? To bad Elle is dead I was kindda of hoping she won't die :( she was my favourite female character maybe she was taking Hayden out of the spotlight, we 'll never know . Anyway this episode was exciting and the show has my full attention , Heroes did it again.
  • OMG, wow... I dont even know what to say :O

What the heck it was this episode? OMG, brilliant!!!

Lets start with the easiest, it is personal sad for me that Gabriel became Sylar again and also said Arthur isnt his father. I thought that they were really a family, since in the future Gabriel says Peter is his brother.

I was wondering if Angela is really the mother, but Arthur wasnt the father, I hope so, because I want him to be Peter's brother.

I hated the fact Nathan became PineHearst leader, it is silly... he is stupid and he can die. Blah

I knew Hiro was the catalyst, I knew it, just thought it is silly he lost it as soon as he got it. He also lost his power, I think it is the worst part of the serie right now. I mean Hiro is always losing something.

I love the end, when Sylar was killing Arthur, whatsoever, I didnt understand why the Haitain's power didnt work with sylar.
  • heroes is back on track

First of, I'm really glad Arthur died. His character was way too boring and one dimensional for me. He was just like a half assed Sylar. Steeling powers but no killing. And his whole company thing. I didn't get the motive behind it, or the whole game he was playing with Angela. In the episode he says "Tell Angela I won." Won what? His voice was just to weird for me. Turtle like and with a strange accent.

The scenes in the past were awesome. Claire finally shows her acting colors and is in some touching scenes with her mother and father. It's always intense and good when there's love and emotion on one side when the other side has no idea. I think at the end HRG realised that the 16 yr old girl in his apartment was actually Claire from the future, and it was a good moment when they levelled on "Claire Bear"

Hiro's scenes with his mother were excellent and very moving. Who better than his mother to heal him. Crazy emotions going on. He is overjoyed to see her after so long and then she dies right there moments later. I'm glad she got to know of Hiro's future before passing.

I am extremely happy that Sylar is back to killing. I thought it was a waste of character for so long while he was suffering with Mommy and Daddy issues, but that lie detection thing he has is a nice touch and makes him even more badass. I'm Looking forward to the next episode, but it sucks this season ends here. Right when it's getting good..
  • Heroes does it again

Once again im left wanting more. This episode wasnt the most action packed but everything that happened was interesting. The best was Hiro and Claire being back in time. Its almost like HRG knew who he was talking to and like everyone else once you see hiros mom heal the bird you know how its going to play out but its still cool to watch. The way everything came together in the end was awesome. Now Nathan is leading an army of soon-to-be super soldiers and im curious what sylar is going to do next.. with arthur out of the picture.. Sylar is the only other person who could be as evil(probably more). So that means peter needs to get his damn abilities back.. or atleast a new one to make him stand a chance. I see ando gaining an ability soon also.. The next episode is going to be sweet
  • I thought you had lost your juice!

Amazing episode. Amazing twist. Amazing plot. Quite possibly one of the best episodes this show has ever produced. So many questions. So many Answers. So many storylines coming together. I cannot think of a better way to revive a show than what I have just witnessed. The only downside is the death of Arthur Petrelli who is such a great character and villain but now we have Nathan who will be like Anakin Skywalker, ie a better villain surrounded by an army of supersoldiers, Syllar who is the true monster he was meant to be and the good guys. Peter getting his power soon of course will help the show in a great way.

Well done and thank you very much I am buzzying.
  • Great episode!

I liked this episode. Sylar was so funny at some moments. And when he burned Elle, you could see he was sad. So, he isn't in the Petrelli family. :)
    Hiro took Claire at the time she was a little baby. We met Hiro's mother. She gave the catalyst to Hiro after she cured him so he regained his memory. That scene when she died was so sad.
    Arthur came back in the past and took the catalyst from Hiro and he brought Claire back to the present day but Hiro remained lost in time without his powers. I can't wait to see how it all plays out!
    Arthur put the catalyst in a liquid and faced Peter who wanted to kill him. At the end Sylar killed him saying Peter's not a killer, but he is. I love that part! :)
    At the end, we see Mohinder giving powers to one soldier and it worked!
    I can't wait to watch the volume finale! :)
  • An amazing episode with great revelation.

This episode was so funny because Hiro lost his memory and thought he was 10 and Claire didn't understand him because he was speaking in Japanese. They both traveled in time and went back 16 years to bring the catalyst safe. In true, Hiro received the catalyst from his mother before she dies but Arthur took it from Hiro and tried to kill him. Before Hiro's mother have died she cured him and he regained his memory. Arthur send Claire back to the future to give a message to Angela Petrelli while Hyro was lost in time.
    Daphne, Matt and Ando are looking for the messenger who has the magazines wrote for Isaac Mendes with the continuation of the history because they want to bring Hiro to the present day.

Sylar became a bad guy again and he'd killed Elle but he looked so sad when he was using the Elle's power to burn her death body.

Nathan went to Primatech and after Arthur put the catalyst on the formula Mohinder was working on, he observed a test in a soldier with Mohinder and Tracy. The formula worked and they gave powers to the soldier that became super strong. Angela asked Peter to kill Arthur and he goes with the Haitian at Primatech to finished his mission. Although the Haitian was blocking Arthur's powers, Peter shouted on Arthur's head but Sylar stopped the bullet in the air and read Arthur's mind and realize it was a lie: he isn't his father. Then, Sylar said to Peter that he is not a killer but he was, and kills Arthur.

It's so sad Peter without his abilities… but now with Arthur's death maybe the powers return to his owners and Hiro can go to the future again. I can't wait to watch the next episode.
  • brilliant

heroes is finally getting brilliant.. this season started with too many stories really.. so the episode kept on jumpin about .. but now where back to a few storylines and this makes the show wonderful to watch... and for all haterz out there.. wots ur problem .. heroes is brilliant .. always has been.. and is the best ever tv show.. i really hope peter gets his powers back tho .. hopefully tht light tht came out of arthur was his powers.. and sylar has really gone psychi .. which i this is really gud.. coz he plays tht best
  • Sylar saves the future by burying the things he loves the most.

Ironic how our father evokes these mental pictures of the fathers on out show: Arthur Petrelli, the patriarch of at least 2 of the 3 most powerful of their generation, senator Nathan Petrelli both devoted father and heir to his kingdom, HRG devoted Company man and yet even more devoted father whenever the situation calls for it and one Kaito Nakamura a man who has done more sacrifices to save the world than we had ever imagined.

And yet for me "Our father" is about the father who now might never become one for it's Sylar burying Elle, the last hope Gabriel had to share a normal life, Sylar killing Arthur (the last hope he had for a loving family) and Sylar killing the future that contained his son as he lets Peter leave that effectively and undoubtedly has changed the 200.000 lives would've been lost in Costa Verde, Daphne's death 4 years from now and the life & death of one little child called Noah Grey that now will never been born.
  • Hiro and Claire went back in time to when Hiro's father handed over baby Claire to HRG.In other things that were going on , Sylar is back to his old ways and Peter and the Hatian are going to defeat Arthur who ends up dying in the end.

I thought this episode was amazing!!!!! Personally one of the best Heroes episodes , it would be my third favorite episode next to Five years gone and Company Man Many great things happened in this episode , Hiro and his mom were wonderful together and made me wanna cry:) Claire's parts were to enjoyable. Sylar was making me laugh with his humor ,"Cake" oh how that part was funny!!!!!The development with the formula is such a great thing to see but also a bad thing. All in all , I'd say this is the best episode so far in the season.
  • Review.

Hiro and Claire unite in their bid to stop Arthur by traveling back in time. Peter and the Haitian must face Sylar in order to get to Arthur. Ando, Daphne and Matt search for the last 9th Wonders! story. So this episode was really good and I thought Cliare and Hiro were funny talking to each other. So glad Arthur Died and I think that scene was the best scene of the third season. Arthur was getting on my nerves. Slyar is back to his old tricks killing someone on there birthday that was funny "Cake". strong end to the season much like season 2.
  • Both the past and present have some great moments this week.

The "Heroes" episode, "Our Father," wasn't the most action-packed this season, but it was one of the best. It had movement, purpose and a trimmed-down character list -- all things sorely lacking this season.

I wasn't expecting to be moved by a character we've never met before, but Hiro reuniting with his mother actually had me a little choked up. The other surprise was the fact that "Our Father" was actually a tight little episode. Of course, the episode wasn't completely devoid of nonsensical occurrences, but the good far out weighed the bad.

The conclusion of the episode was also very tantalizing. I wasn't a fan of Peter's storyline with the Haitian in this episode, but the end result paid off when Sylar showed up to find out the truth and do away with Arthur Petrelli in his own unique fashion. I also didn't really care for Nathan's sudden involvement in the Pinehurst company, but I still felt excitement as the first Marine was given his super strength. You could sense that this was likely the moment Arthur's plan starts to go wrong. And it might also just be the moment where Heroes starts to go right again.
  • Hiro and Claire finally meet.

This is one of my favorite episodes of Heroes. Our Father had some awsome moments and some great scenes that it made for a wonderful episode. Seeing Hiro and Claire travel 16 years in the past was great. I liked seeing the emotional interaction between Hiro and his mother and I really thought that the entire episode was well done with the writing and the plot. I also thought that the episode was very significant to the ongoing storylines in Heroes. It explained many things and I thought it did a good job of it. Overall, it was one of the best. Thank you.
  • Yet another amazing episode, but this one starting in the past with Hiro, where we left off.

Yet another episode, but this one starting in the past with Hiro, where we left off. Warning spoilers contained below.

I almost forgot Hiro can't speak English anymore, this makes it kind of hard for him to complete his tasks, yet it also proves to be pretty hilarious to watch at times. That said however, I still wish he would get his memory back, so he can speak English again, it would make things so much easyier. Finally I get some answers, as we see Claire and Hiro both get ideas. Hiro sees his mom is a healer, so he has a chance to get his memory back (Yay!). Claire on the other hand, sees a chance to stop herself from becoming the catalyst. Also in this episode, we see that Sylar has indeed become bad again, and now has a new list of people to go after. One thing about this show so far that is kind of cool is that no matter how many times people go back and forth between the future and the past, it all seems to work out exactly as Isaac predicted. So it seems, there is no changing the ultimate future, as no matter what people do, and no matter their powers, things seem to ultimately lead to the same outcome. The biggest question is, what outcome, as we know for sure that some are just there to guide people to do things that eventually come out like some predictions said. I have to admit, when Claire was holding herself as a baby, that was a pretty messed up thing, but I guess it worked, strange as it was. I wonder how she felt that moment, holding herself, must have been a pretty weird experience. I really loved the story line of the past in this episode, when Hiro confronts his mother, it was such a great moment. So Hiro now holds the light, the last part of the formula, which I never in my wildest dreams saw coming. From this, I have to think that Claire was probably never the holder of the light, all along everyone thought she was, because she was supposed to be, but really, it is Hiro. But just as we thought Hiro had saved the day, Arthur shows up and takes the light as well as Hiro's powers. At the end of this episode, Sylar kills Arthur, but things are not over yet, as the serum was still made and in order for it to end, has to be destroyed. This was an excellent episode, I loved every minute of it, and now I am pumped for the last episode of the season, as well as saddened.
  • Claire and Hiro travel to the past to prevent Arthur from getting the catalyst, Peter and the Haitian go to Pinehearst to stop Arthur once and for all, Sylar learns a new "trick" and Arthur's army is formed with the help of Nathan and Tracy.

The twelfth chapter of volume 3 prepares us for the finale of this volume but also provides enjoyment and comedy at the same time.
    Claire is with Hiro to the past (as seen in the previous chapter). Hiro doesn't speak English (as he still has the memory of a 10 year old) and can't communicate with Claire. However, Claire sees her father sixteen years ago and realizes that she is in the past. Following him, she finds her old house when she was a baby and meets with Sandra. She introduces herself as Bonnie. She tells Sandra to take care of little Claire and don't leave her out of her sight. When Noah arrives home and sees present Claire, he is alerted and thinks she is with the Company. Claire tells Noah all about the future without revealing who she is and warns him not to give baby Claire to the Company (as they will put the catalyst into her).
    Elsewhere, Hiro finds his mom and dad's past selves and realizes that the catalyst is inside his mom. Revealing to her who he is, she hangs him and heals his memory gaps. Hiro then urges her to give him the catalyst. His mom hesitates at first but in the end gives Hiro the catalyst (the past is in fact changed as the catalyst was supposed to be given to baby Claire). When present Claire and Hiro meet to return to the present, Arthur appears and takes the catalyst off Hiro and into him. Then he throws him off the balcony and teleports Claire back to the present with a message for Angela; that he has won. Hiro is left in the past, hanging by a pole and without his powers.
    Matt, Daphne and Ando search for Isaac's sketch book as it reveals what has happened to Hiro. When they do find him they see Hiro is in the past without his powers. Realizing he's trapped, they decide to go to the one place where they could find a time-traveller; to Pinehearst. There the formula (which is now perfected thanks to the catalyst) might give Ando a time travelling ability.
    Sylar is still at the beach where he killed Elle and burns her body. At that moment, Arthur calls and urges him to return to Pinehearst where he can help him. Sylar refuses and tells him that he has found a way to learn the truth once and for all. He finds Sue Lander who has the ability to detect if a person is telling the truth (kind of like a human lie detector). He kills her and three of her colleagues who had the misfortune of witnessing him killing Sue. With his new power he goes to Pinehearst.
    Nathan arrives to Pinehearst and takes control of the whole program. When Arthur arrives with the catalyst, the formula is ready. Tracy shows Nathan the people to whom the formula would be injected and they will form the army that will lead the future.
    Peter and the Haitian go to Pinehearst. Scott, one sergeant, is the first to be injected and gains the power of super strength with Nathan, Tracy and Mohinder looking satisfied with the result.
    Peter and the Haitian arrive at Pinehearst after receiving orders by Angela to stop Arthur by all means. Arthur meets Peter and thinks he has the upper hand until he sees the Haitian and so he is left powerless for Peter to shoot him. Peter seems reluctant to kill and most his father and the Haitian is weakened by Arthur's excessive power. When Peter finds the courage to shoot, Sylar arrives and stops the bullet. He tells Peter that he is not a killer like himself. He asks Arthur if he is indeed his son and Arthur answers affirmatively. Sylar detects he's lying (using his power of lie detection) and kills Arthur. He then leaves and the Haitian runs after him.
    Overall a superb episode. Claire and Hiro's chemistry is amazing and Sylar is back and still kicking. Arthur dies but a new villain arises (for more see the following chapter). Everything leads to the volume finale who is very exciting and worthy of a finale. For now, enjoy this magnificent episode. Key facts: Hiro's mother makes her first appearance played by Tamlyn Tomita. We are also revealed that she has a power of her own. Also, notice Knox and Flint's faces when Tracy and Nathan walk by them to inject the formula to the soldiers. There reaction is key to the volume finale. The sketchbook found by Daphne, Matt and Ando is the one given by Isaac to the messenger in "chapter 19: .O7%" of volume 1. Also, I noticed that the webisode Recruit is important at this point to be watched as it connects volume 3 and volume 4 (the main character of the webisode appears in volume 4). Enjoy!
    The eclipse is over and the real fight is finally here. Several people are going to be upset about this but Elle's dead. Completely dead. Sylar did kill her. She's gone and Sylar is back to being a villain. That does somewhat annoy me. I liked Sylar being the good guy. The writers though, obviously like Sylar being the villain. Even when he doesn't seem to be the villain anymore, they like to bring him back to being one. Sylar is fed up with being played around by Arthur and Angela but he doesn't quite believe in Noah either. He wants answers and to do that, he'll murder a woman who can detect lies for her power and in a semi-comic moment, kill her employers wishing her a happy birthday. Angela and Arthur sure did a number on their fake son. Peter is tasked by Angela to kill Arthur and he brings along the Haitian with him. Nathan joins up with Arthur and Tracey and gives his decision to join them, if he can become the head of Pinehearst. Arthur initally refuses but Tracey pulls him in. Nathan is somewhat pissed Tracey went behind his back with Arthur but she's not sorry. She's power-hungry and she doesn't care what she has to to get power. Nathan and her have work to do. Pinehearst has rounded up some military commandos for formula experimentation in a sort of supersoliders moment. Nathan talks with a soldier who lost a lot in combat and Nathan thinks he's doing the right thing. Again, no one filled him in on power corrupting. The world will split over who gets to have powers and those who don't. Hiro and Claire stumble into their past to see their origins. Claire meets the past versions of Sandra and Noah and in a confusing time paradox moment, comes into contact with baby Claire. Weird. Claire convinces Noah to not make her the catalyst. Hiro meets up with younger him as well, as well as Mom and Dad. Finally, Hiro's mother is revealed. Sorry, it's not Angela. Hiro's 100% non-Petrelli. Hiro's mother is revealed to be a healer but in the past, she's dying, probably due to the fact that her healing takes health off her. She tries to convince Kaito that Hiro can be the catalyst. Hiro's father mistakes him for a chef. Hiro confronts her and there is a sweet moment as his mom gets to see him as an adult. Hiro reveals his memory loss and his mother heals it. He tells her everything that happened, except that Kaito died, and tells her he's willing to be the catalyst. She trusts him and gives him the power. Hiro's mother was the catalyst. She had the "light", whatever the "light" is. Claire and Hiro meet up. Everything good, right? Nope. Arthur intrudes on the past, sensing Hiro's involvement. In a shock, he steals Hiro's power and the catalyst, whisks Claire back to the present to tell Angela he won, and strands Hiro in the past. Not good. In the present, Matt, Ando, and Daphne look to recover Issac's last story. Ando at last trusts Daphne and Daphne's more accepting to being a good girl. She worked out all her issues with her dad. It takes awhile and outcunning a post-carrier but they get the story, and it reveals Hiro being stranded in the past. The story ends with that. The three deduce that there might be another time-traveler. Ando thinks it could be him and he walks off for Pinehearst, willing for a power. The Haitian senses Peter's conflict with killing his father but Peter's sense of duty outweighs the conflict. He'll do it. Arthur comes back, catalyst with him, and the formula is completed. Nathan, Tracey, and Mohinder are willing to test it out. Arthur senses Peter coming and decides to confront him. The Haitian does his best to block Arthur's powers but Arthur is too strong, a super, superhero. The Haitian can't block forever. Peter hesitates and Daddy goads him that he can't do it, he's weak, how can Peter be his son? Peter fires and. . .Sylar intrudes on the moment, sparing Arthur's life for a second. It's not because he's being nice, he wants to know the truth. Is Sylar a Petrelli? He's not. Peter had to hear it too since he was tricked into believing Sylar was his brother. Sylar says he won't let Peter become a killer, Peter doesn't have it in him. One final kind act for his not-brother. Sylar lets the bullet free and Arthur dies. Sylar lets Peter go because he's powerless. Peter thinks since Daddy's dead, it's over. No. Killing Arthur came too late. The formula is made. The first experiment subject was a success and Nathan is in charge where Daddy left and the future is starting to become true. If people felt frustrated over last week's episode, this episode makes up for it with plenty of surprises, supense, humor, and action. It is too bad Elle had to die. Only one more episode until the next volume. Will Peter get a power back? Will Hiro die? Daphne? How will Nathan and Peter's confrontation play out? And will there be a plane crash as indicated in the spoilers? Next week's episode will answer it all.
  • Hmm, so Arthur is dead?

Hey, how are you folks? I gotta say.. I liked this episode. A lot of stuff happening, pretty intense.
    I really enjoyed Hiro's screen time. It was pretty good.
    I kinda expected Arthur showing up like that.. even though he had no clue that Hiro had intercepted Sylar, due to his call to Sylar on the beach, where he got blown off by the psyco boy who had just killed Elle by the way.. Anyway, he jumped on Hiro and took his juice.

Sylar let Arthur die by a bullet in the brain. I wonder if that's the end of him.. Probably so, since he didn't regenerate after the Haitian left the hall.

Guess it won't take long til Peter regain his own powers but like Sylar, I think he's gonna lose everything he'd absorbed til his dad took his ability.

A good show, an awesome episode. Can't wait to see next week's episode!!
  • A real turn-around episode that sets up the volume finale

The writers have finally realised Hiro and Claire have never shared a scene together so this was a great excude to have Hiro and Claire unite in their bid to stop Arthur by travelling back in time. The chemistry was brilliant and as someone has already said - they didnt even speak the same language! Peter and the Haitian must face Sylar in order to get to Arthur and a powerless Peter - believe it or not is more likeable although he still has that annoying thing with his mouth that he does lol. Lastly, Ando, Daphne and Matt search for the last 9th Wonders! story which rounds off this vast improvement of an episode that made me realise this season may not be as good as Season 1 but this show is still awesome!
< 1 2