Heroes

Our Father

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Dec 08, 2008 on NBC

• What a mess !

Since last episode, My interest was renewed, and the beginnig of this one was quite fine. I was caught in the touching Hiro story.
    BUT :
    - Mr Petrelli leaving Pinehearst to Nathan convinced by the persuation power of his son (- do it ! - No ! - Please - Ok) - The "light" ? Just add it to the magic potion and voilà ?
    - The poor story of baby Cheerleader ?
    - Mr Petrelli back in time to get the ability to do it ? - The 4400 copy (bonus : actor included)...
    Please, you'll have to explain : I thought the strike was over...
  • Seems as if it's missing something...

5.5
    I must say this episode was not my cup o' tea.

The best parts of the episode was when Arthur died and the hilarious office part with Sylar.

Oh, and they also killed off the hottest character, but it's not that big of a lose. I was kind of happy to FINALLY see some people die. If they magically resurrect for some stupid reason I give up on Heroes.

So the formula is finally made, Hiro lost the catalyst as soon as he got it, and Nathan will begin giving out powers.

On a side note, Peter is still powerless. Which brings me to another point --- the way he lost his power is crap, but that happened a while back. Anyway, the writers explanation to him losing his powers was "he was too powerful." That's crap since Arthur and Sylar are just as if not more powerful. This season has been a bitter disappointment.

Has Claire been an annoyance to anyone else this season?
  • "Holy Captain America, Batman!" Super soldiers and now papa Petrelli, the only good villain they had left, is dead. While better than the eclipse episodes, still not where it should be.

I will admit, I liked this episode better than the two parter but I'm still not happy with Heroes. Arthur Petrelli was a great villain. Why? Because unlike the psychopathic Sylar, he had a method to his madness beyond himself. Sylar is now back to his old self and I still can't wait to see him die. Sorry, never liked Sylar and as long as he's like that, never will. The problem I have with this episode is they go through all that trouble to send Hiro and Claire to the past, Hiro gets the catalyst from his mother (which kills her) and then 5 minutes later it's all over. If anything, this should have been the 2 parter, not the eclipse. It was EXTREMELY anticlimatic.

And now, as if pulling pages from the X-Men wasn't enough, we now see shades of Captain America. I'm guessing Sylar's going to go in, destroy the "soldier super serum" and thus only 1 soldier is imbued with super abilities. I'd say he'd slay the doctor but the doctor is Mohinder so I don't see that happening. Of course chances are good he slays Captain America too but I'm guessing somehow he finds a way to overcome Sylar and thus lives up to his "Survivor's Remorse."

About the only good things was Claire and Noah, the Haitian didn't die, and getting the sketch book was pretty funny. Other than that, I can't say I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. It just feels like they keep emphasizing the wrong things. With Arthur dead, the villainy I was liking has died with him. It seems now it has gone from purposeful (we're helping the world) to thuggery (I'm helping me, and that's no lie). Sylar is not a good central villain. Arthur was. Even HRG was. Because they had a method to their madness. Evil works best when it believes it's doing the right thing, even for the wrong reason. That's been stripped out of the show with the death of Arthur.

I'll catch the "final episode of 2008" and hope the cliff hanger ending makes me want to come back in 2009.
  • A move in the right direction

After the disappointments of the two-part "eclipse", my expectations for this episode were fairly low. So I was a bit surprised to find that most of this episode was quite enjoyable. It gave me some small hope that a tighter focus with a stronger sense of direction could restore the series to its former glory.

The episode focused on Hiro and Claire, so it's probably no surprise that I liked those plot threads the most. In particular, I found them poignant, which is not something I can say about "Heroes" very often. Both situations required a bit of hand-waving and contrivance to work as intended, but after a while, you learn to accept such things (to a certain degree).

I know a lot of people have come to despise Claire, and to an extent it's understandable, but I think the majority of the problem is the writing. Hayden wasn't phoning anything in on this episode. Was it a little too convenient for Noah to listen to the babbling teenage girl with an unknown ability standing over the baby he was just ordered to protect at all costs? Probably. But I couldn't help but smile when he said, "Claire-bear", and realized what was happening.

Similarly, while it seems a bit odd that Hiro's father wouldn't notice the similarities between his son and the mysteriously befuddled "chef" that appeared out of nowhere, the scenes between Hiro and his mother were simply golden. I'd like the writers to bring this generational aspect of the show to an end, to be honest, but this worked. At least, it worked until Arthur came along out of nowhere and undercut Hiro's heroic decision to take on responsibility for the catalyst.

So where the catalyst came from is completely vague, but it can be transferred and apparently works like "the glow" from "The Last Dragon". Wonderful. But why give Hiro the first meaningful moment in the entire volume, only to snatch it out from under him? There's a certain shock value to it all, but the plot necessities seem to be driving that moment.

After all, the writers needed the catalyst to be revealed so that Arthur could steal it, use it to activate the Not-Promicin (because it's red, not green), power up the first batch of Super-Soldiers (beginning, ironically, with a former cast member of "The 4400"), thus setting the stage for a serious Sylar killing spree. After all, once Arthur is conveniently out of the way, Sylar is in the perfect position to force the soldiers to take the Not-Promicin and then steal the resulting abilities.

As usual, Sylar's character motivations are all over the place, and now, his supposed hunger has turned him into a Dexter clone. Now it's not about parental approval, or the hunger for power; it's about the hunger to kill in the process. It's suddenly a liking for violence. This may swing him back closer to the amoral characterization of the first two seasons, but it doesn't ring true with the rest of the third volume at all.

At the very least, Sylar's arrival should put an end to Arthur's plan, regardless of Nathan's intentions. Sylar might even wipe out Nathan and Tracy in the process of taking control of the facility. But I'm not sure whether or not this will end with Peter and Hiro's powers restored. A lot is still up in the air, and the writers still need to bring all of this to a meaningful conclusion.
  • thanks

Submitting summaries copied from ANY webpage is not allowed. This goes for all sites, including IMDB or any "official" network or fan sites. The word "official" does not mean that it's OK to copy. Even though you are copying the "official" summary, you do not have permission to use it, nor does CNET (sometimes a network may specifically ask us to post a summary which they have already written, but this is rare). (check out the US Copyright Office website for more details, if you are not sure about copyright laws and what this means). (Back)

Can I add a link to a page from another site outside of TV.com?

No, you can NOT post links to pages outside of TV.com in the guides. Links to pages within TV.com are allowed anywhere in the guides. (Back)

How do I submit a new show to TV.com?

You should use This form for new show submissions. Note that new shows do not appear immediately and must be added by staff. Also note that we add only those shows that we deem to be of general interest to our user base. (Back)

How do I request deletion of a show or person guide from TV.com?

You should use This form to request the deletion of a show or person guide. (Back)

How do I submit new information to an existing show on TV.com?

There is a "contribute" button on every show page. By clicking on this button you can find the forms specific to the information you would like to submit. Most forms deal with information attached to a specific episode of a show and not the show itself. In certain cases, specific data--like show images, news, or stars--may be locked, with access limited to TV.com staff and the editor of that show. (Back)

How do I make changes to incorrect, existing data on TV.com?

Almost all data on the site will have a small "edit" link listed after the entry. Clicking it will jump you to a prefilled form that lets you edit the current data. Certain data, such as the show summary or cast, is often locked, with access limited to TV.com staff and the editor of that show. (Back)

How long do submissions normally take to reach the live site?

Times vary per show, per data submitted, and even per user. We use a proprietary scoring system to prioritize and qualify submissions. If the show has an active editor, most submissions get processed within a couple of days. Submissions to shows without an editor can take longer, since they are processed directly by our staff. We review new episode submissions and any data submitted to current, on-air shows as soon as possible. In most cases, moderation time doesn't exceed one week and is often much shorter, but we almost always have a backlog of data to process. (Back)

A contribution I submitted was rejected! What's the deal?

There are many reasons a submission is rejected. Most of them have nothing to do with our thinking your submission was incorrect. We process thousands of submissions each day, and a portion of those submissions are duplicates. This is especially true for current, on-air programs. In such cases we mostly take the best bits of a couple of user submissions and push that to the live site, and then we reject the duplicates. Other
  • Ready to change the world.

Matt, Ando and Daph found Issac's last issue...:gulp:

Claire and Hiro manage to change the present, one of the firs ttimes that has actually been on this show. They change the future lots but rarely do they change the present. Claire convinces HRG not to bring Claire to the place where she becomes the catlyst and Hiro, through a reunion was his deceased mother (very, very sweet scene), gets his memories back and the catalyst aka the light along with them. I still don't fully get what it is but we know what it does.

Nathan, Tracey, Arthur and Mohinder make the first moves to make a new generation of ordinary people with extrordinary abilities. Manufactured ones that is, there's already plenty of them in the world thanks to the company but now there's another. Kyle...:D (Ironic that he should end of on Heroes after starring on The 4400) I mean Scott. He's stronger then Mohinder, embedding a steal chair in what I'm assuming was a steal wall. That'll end well.

At the very least though Pinehearst may only have enough catalyst included formula for something like 50 soldiers, though with Nathan now at the healm totally unapposed who knows what he'll do next. Like father like son apparently, though we don't exactly have to worry about daddy anymore.

Surprise, surpise Peter couldn't pull the trigger. Though I don't blame him especially considering Arthur was his father and Angela is not to be trusted. But more importantly Peter's no murderer but Sylar is, funny if Arthur had just left Arthur alone he'd probably still be alive. Talk about karma. But anyway when Sylar killed Arthur he killed the light as well. No more maufactured abilities, to bad he was a little to late. One thing I wish he have got to know before Arthur bit the dust was what on earth he was trying to do in placing Sylar and Elle together, there was a point we just never got to know it. Then again I suppose that's mute now.

Speaking of Sylar gods I had forgotten just how scary he can be. It's not that I forgot exactly but after everything that he has been through this season, how much he had changed and how little of that side of him we have actually seen this season I did kind of forget just how frightening he could be. And now that we know that at the very least Angela and Arthur aren't his parents, that they were playing him, trying to weild him as their weapon and took complete advantage of him I don't know where this leaves him. Especially considering that he has totally reverted to form. A big piece that were holding him together (thinking he had a family. A different family, which used to be a big wish of his before he discovered he had powers) has been shattered. He can still take abilities without killing but he doesn't seem to have any interest in that anymore. And yet still spared Peter. He killed that woman who was a human lie detector because he wanted her power, he killed Arthur for everything he did to him and all the lies he fed him, he killed those people in that office because they caught him murdering lie detector chick. But what about Elle? Why did he kill her? I still don't understand, he had her power already. She had nothing he wanted. Was it just because he believed he couldn't really ever changed even if he tried? Then why didn't he kill Peter too? I know he doesn't have powers and back in season one Sylar himself said he wasn't a blind murderer, he kills people for reasons (though they may be rediculous, particularly now) but some of the moves he's making contradict one another. I don't have as much faith anymore that he can still be Gabriel but I'm not convinced all he can be is a monster. There may not be a shining redemption, a family, love, a child or anything even close to Gabriel left for him but I'm not quite ready to let go of Gabriel completely. Not just yet.

Part of it is that I'm clinging to hope about Peter and Sylar, all their similarities. Their lives, their different connections, their similar powers and everything can't just be a coincidence. It can't have all been for nothing, I'm not sure that if there is something there it will be enough to save Sylar in any way shape or formanymore but I still think there may be something there. I'm not willing to let go of the fact that they may be brothers (especially given the extraoridnary lengths they have gone to just to place them together this season), I know it's highly unlikely but a year ago we would have said that about a lot of things when it comes to this show. And as a rule nothing is impossible in the world of Heroes. I'm thinking Vadar in the last minutes of Jedi, with redemptive powers and self sacrifice. One more episode to volume three and in my opinion one last chance to see if there is truly anything in Sylar worth saving, anything that can be saved. Killing Elle, giving into the hunger more ferosciously then he ever has before doesn't leave a lot of room and he's running out of chances.
  • Great entertaiment..but alas..they should stop treating us like idiots..

I wanted to write a review right after i watched this yesterday, but work is more important so here i go now.

First off, kudos to this Episode as it had me glued to my seat and anticipating every next moment and Heroes hasn't done it to me in a long time..BUT as usual, i have my gripes..and i honestly dun care if i get a few thumb downs for my following comments..and u guys..being really fans of Heroes and TV shows should accept criticism and not blindly folo a show cos its cool..else..the show will never get better..

About:

Bonnie (Claire).. the HRG..we're talking about a 16yrs ago..younger HRG who is ruthless..cynical, suspicious about everybody. BUT he chose to just TALK to Bonnie..and actually LISTEN to her?!? Why? So that we know the origin of the name "claire bear?" Come on..everyone knows he watches CARE BEARS when he was a little toddler and thats how it came about..Issac mendes showed it to me..JUST seconds before he died..he drew me a cartoon about it b4 sylar knocked him off...zzz

Sylar: After mastering the art of getting powers without killing..WHICH removes the hunger, he suddenly decides to MASS kill again..and gets his hands dirty..waste money on laundry..when he could have just took her powers..by EMPHATISING..and just maybe give the gal a heart attack or die a clean death..but no no..he has to check her brains..thats so much easier.. And whats up with him still having powers while Arthur's were gone? The Hatiian only can dispel powers for 1 person? who the hell said that? Everyone around him loses their powers..EVEN IF HE DOESN'T know that they are around..proven so manay times..Hiro and Elle at the theatre..and previous episodes of peter and nathan just coming across him. He doesnt need to pin point to anyone..but OK..lets say he has to specifically pin point arthur..but doesnt mean he loses the ability to auto dispel Sylar's abilities..and when he sees Sylar come in.. im sure he would have judged who is more dangerous right now..and unleashed everything..but moving on..

Hiro/Arthur/Claire..in the past. Come on..lets be realistic, Hiro and Claire going back into the past, i dun care..and it seemed interesting..even the healing of his memories made sense..and the passing of the "catalyst". UNTIL..Arthur showed up..back in tie ..TELEPORTING..ok ok..we dun need to know where he gets his powers from, but this guy seems like the Justice league all put together..and powerful enuff just to make the world safer ALL by himself..

But hey..what did he say when he appeared? Guessed i turn up at the right time? damn..u can turn up anytime u want arthur..11.56..1155..1245..thats what time travel is about..WHY does he have to come at that moment..and take it from Hiro? 1. how the hell did he know Hiro got it from his mum? 2. How he he know HOW to just extract the power from HIRO's chest. 3. Why did he appear there and not at HIRO's mum just to take it from her?
    4. and how did he know this is the moment to appear sp that he can just walk in, take the catalyst and just walk off..when ALL THIS time, he thought the catalyst was CLAIRE and if he knew, why did he send ppl after claire when he could have just back tracked into time and asked Hiro's Dad himself. Giving him the power over time and space practically makes Arthur invincible..and thats why i thought the writers didn't want to give him Hiro's powers, but since he alreaday had Hiro's power, he could have gone back to do anything he wanted..and get answers from anyone dead right?

Anyway..this is getting too long, u guys get my drift, yet again..loopholes galore..and makes no sense..but i enjoy the action and if i dun think too much..this is a great show ^^
  • Not sure what to think.

Spoiler Alert!!

Hiro and Claire go back in time, Hiro gets his memory back just in time for him to lose his power and the catalyst. What was the point of all this BS we've been watching this whole season? I mean, it gets really frustrating when it feels like they build and build and then just derail everything we've been watching for the last two months by making some massive change to everything or killing some major character.

Case in point is Arthur. All of that and then they just kill him? Really? And isn't this show called heroes? And now the two best heroes don't have their powers anymore? I know they're going somewhere with all of this, but they just do it so slowly and painfully and frustratingly I don't know what to think of the show anymore.

Granted this episode was better than its been lately. But, its just frustrating how lousy the writing and character development have gotten lately.
  • Review

A lot of the episode was spent in the past with Claire and Hiro trying to make sure that Hiro became the Catalyst instead of Claire. I hate it when this show goes in the past because what they do makes no sense. If this happens then Claire is never the catalyst to begin with. I also hate storylines that build up and then vanish in a second. The entire first thirty minutes is devoted to Claire and Hiro and right as they prepare to leave Arthur steals away the Catalyst. Twenty seconds later, Peter kills Arthur thus rendering the entire episode pretty much useless. The only thing that remains now for the final episode is the big battle that is brewing between Peter and Nathan. This season was called "Villians" with Arthur being the most powerful one. The most powerful villan in the world is killed by a bullet through the head as Sylar (who has messed up all the time since just getting his powers) somehow is still alive. Overall - some parts were enjoyable but it all just seems to move in the same direction, nowhere.
  • Family Feuds and delving into the past lead to some inevitable deaths

This was a very entertaining episode and that's mostly thanks to the ever evolving character interaction and natural progression of story. To see Hiro's mother (even though you knew she would die fixing Hiro) was very emotional. The fact that the Catalyst was pretty much keeping her alive pins a lot on Hiro as causing her death and if they take the cheap route to character progression by having him pop up as future Hiro ,without power in the current timeline (hopefully unlikely), it could sort of fix his character devolution. Not saying I would want this but he has to evolve somehow and Ando (how sure is he that his injected power will be time travel!? Highly doubt it) saving him from the past would just not be satisfying. I'm actually quite happy that Hiro became the catalyst as initially if Claire hadn't figured out she was it I would have said Hiro was. It also saves Claire from dying as if Arthur had taken it from her along with her power she would most likely have died just like when the eclipse happened. Claire this episode was actually really good, now I have to admit this character's purpose and progression overall has done my head in since Season 2. She just became the whiney annoying teenager who wanted to fight. The caring side she shows here isn't half as annoying and to be honest meeting her family and her baby self in the past was actually a good move for once. As was her interaction with a non English speaking Hiro, who knew these 2 may make a good double act.

Sylar's search for the Human lie detector power was quite humorous and it's nice to see him back to himself even if he had to kill Elle (one of my favourite characters) to do so. I like the fact that it was actually a power he wanted to use for a purpose as well and the fact that there was a brilliant aside to celebrities losing their phones - all those important names and numbers. Petrelli he most definitely is not.

Ando & co searching for Issac Mendez's final issue is fun but obvious filler that reminds me of Hiro's scrolls in Season 2. I will say this though, it's nice to see more of the city outside with the courier guy trying to escape, I feel we have been stuck on sets and indoor locations far too much.

Lastly is Nathan & co as they interview potential soldiers for Human experimentation and Peter and the Haitian's task to kill Arthur. The latter may result in Arthur's death (in conjunction with Sylar) but is mostly nothing to discuss where as the former is very important. Nathan and Tracy have some good scenes and the creation of a super-strength soldier may have some bad implications overall. Not least for the effects budget).

The only disappointment is that the catalyst isn't anything interesting, all it is is a light that like a witches potion is the final ingredient. For some reason I was expecting much more but I guess in the end as it was mainly ignored for the past two eps that overall that wasn't the point.
  • i thought this episode was really good, very thought out, and the scnes between Claire and Hiro were great really made me laugh one of my fave episodes!

I love this episode for so many reasons, mostly claire and hiro they were so funny together and hope hayden and masi have more scenes together in the next volume. i also liked the scenes Tracy and nathan, Tracy is really growing on me and Ali Larter is very pretty. But the paring between Tracy and Nathan is very cute evan though they do have there little spiffs like in every episode, but the would make a great couple. overall i think this episode has been one of the best and would have to say it is in my top 5 of season 3 and can't wait to see how they develop some of the ideas shown in this episodes!
  • A better episode than last week

This episode had promise but was also very strange. Most of the scenes with Hiro and Claire in the past, (together and also with their respective parents) were interesting and revealing. But Hiro takes the catalyst and then Arthur Petrilli gets it...come on, give this guy a break. And now he's stuck in the past and his friends are on a quest to find him...this could be a very bad plotline.

Nathan, Tracy and Mohinder finally give an injection of the formula to someone and it appears to work, making him super strong. This is where the episode ended. So now Heroes has a very big task in front of them -- they have to answer/address all the issues raised by this.
    1) Tracy said they could decide who gets what ability. So how does that work? And did they choose to give this guy super strength?
    2) Mohinder had first appeared to have gained an ability, but then later he mutated. So they had better not just take this guy's display of strength at face value and not worry about the possibility of failure just because it was the formula+the catalyst that did it. That comes together too easily and is shoddy writing.

Sylar's storyline has gone up and down this season, but it appears that he at least had some fragment of an emotional connection with Elle, and at least he's doing what he's always done, although it was dumb that he walked around with blood all over him. Peter, however, is not very interesting in this storyline...he's too self-righteous and broody .. and yes, I'll say it, his scenes are boring without his abilities.

Ps: So the scenes in the future (previous episode) where Gabriel/Sylar told Peter they were brothers weren't real? Or is Sylar really Angela's son in some capacity? We shall see.
  • I think things are turning around for Heroes, In a good way.

Okay, so the Villians arc is coming to a close, and it looks to be pretty self contained. This episode was pivotal. I was really mad last episode when Elle died, but now I understand why they did it. Still :(. Sylar is evil as ever, and there were a couple of really good scenes in his plotline. Hiro and Claire back in time took up much of the episode, but there was some really good stuff in there. Sylar killing Arthur was a great pay-off. Now, for my predictions. Since the catalyst has been destroyed, I think the whole "army of superheroes" is going down the tubes, and I think Tracey will die. Surresh will heal himself and decide to stop trying to give people powers. Sylar will go after Angela and possibly kill her. Ando, Daphne and Matt will obviously have to rescue Hiro somehow.

A question I have about this episode is...where did Arthur send Claire to?
  • Meet the parents. Again.

So I've caught up with this show. Finally. It seems to be the new vogue to highlight that it's the new vogue to hate Heroes. To be honest, I can see why a lot of people have disliked what Season 3 has had on offer. A step up from season 2, but only in the sense that they are wrapping these rather bland and overly familiar storylines in shiny new special-effects.

To be fair, this is the kind of episode I've been waiting for. It's dramatic, without ever bordering on ridiculous. It's surprisingly touching in places and I particularly enjoyed Claire's little chat with her mom and Hiro's with his mother. I've always said it, but it's usually the quiet character moments this show pulls off so well and these are perfect examples.

There are certain things that don't fit very well with what we've come to know from this series, and some of the time-travel stuff sneaks onto the wrong side of headache-y ( there's never a good side, mind, but I'm making a point here). I didn't like the character tweaks with HRG, I thought they should have left it with the scenes with her mother. It just serves to undermine his development from previous seasons.

Sylar's reformation is welcomed, although I have to wonder how long it will last. His character has been yoyoing all over the place. It would be nice to have him S1 villainous again and perhaps end the season with his demise. Hie neuter, of sorts, last year and his rehabilitation this season just seemed so left fielded, I hope this is the writers trying to make amends. His scenes were undeniably hilarious, I've missed that.

There's a sense of reboot to the story. This super-soldier idea could work in the series' favour (let's hope they do better than the X-files and Sg1) and with characters shifting more or less back into their old positions, the rest of the season could turn out to be a dose of the old with a bit of a twist. I'm not asking for a replica of season one, I just hope the next volume carries a sense of direction like season 2, only without the mind numbing dullness.

Overall, a solid offering. It's far from perfect (I'm not even going to touch on the 9th Wonders issue) but story-lines have calmed down a bit and are moving at a watchable pace. After the disaster that was the Eclipse two-parter, this is a confident step in the right direction.
  • Sylar learns the truth, Sylar learns the truth

Hiro and Claire go backwards 16 years to protect/retrieve the catalyst; Hiro meets his mother and gets his memories back as well as taking the catalyst from her before she dies. Hiro and Claire are about to go back in time when Arthur shows and takes the catalyst from him. Ando, Matt and Daphne went on their trek to find Issac's last story, which really didn't take that long. We see Sylar return to his old ways, he murders the lie detector woman. Peter is on his way to kill his father along with The Haitian, Arthur proves too strong for him with Peter not taking a shot, and Sylar takes over and does it himself.
  • Well it's about damn time, I will tell you.

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but… this episode didn't piss me off. I know, what? Granted, I miss Breckin and Seth already. I hope they're back soon, I really, really, REALLY do. Also, I have only one thing to say in the subject of the formula:

OH HELL YES. Ando. I love you. I love you so much. It's about damn time. Get injected with the Heroes version of steroids and let's get this lightning show on the road. Thank you. =D

Anyways, my non-existent respect for Claire isn't non-existent anymore. There. I said it. Yes, I am the same person. Continuing. The scene where she's talking to HRG was… well, in short terms, adorable. Lol… Bonnie. Ha… ha ha. When that dude with the sketchbook tried to resist, I just sat on my couch and went, "Prepare to be screwed." Sure enough, Matt freaks the crap out of the dude and Daphne sends him flying in a manner very reminiscent of Steve Carrell in The 40-Year-Old Virgin (without the billboard truck, of course). So. Sylar. I know you killed Elle, and I know you're once again a heartless bastard, but the fact that we actually believed you were going to be a hero just makes this betrayal that much more satisfying. Granted, I loved Elle, I really did, but evil-Sylar will always kick hero-Sylar's ass to the moon and back. That's just how it is. If I ever get into an elevator with a blood-spattered man with monstrous caterpillar eyebrows, I swear to God I'll call him Sylar, though the chances of this ever happening are sort of slim. And anyways, he might kill me. Which… well, actually, that would really suck.

Peter grew balls. I'm proud of him. I really am. There is one thing that bothered me. Just one word: Hiro. Hiro, are you seriously THAT INCOMPETENT? You kill your own mother unintentionally and then, within one commercial break, lose the thing that killed her? I mean, seriously. You've got to be kidding me. No one is that inept. They can't be. I honestly would've just let myself die, if I were him. No powers, so I'm stuck sixteen years in the past with a blonde cheerleader who can only heal, plus I just made my mother's death a complete waste. I'm even more useless than my 'sidekick', who's, quite frankly, accomplishing more than I am right now. I see no reason to stick to this pole like a lizard. Awaay. So long, and thanks for all the waffles.
  • two words : people die!!

So the writers seem to be back on their way and i belive,given the fact that this episode was elaborated and made sense,that they actually had this storyline in mind for some time now,maybe even from the first season give the isaac mendez line. Maybe they just didn;t know how to fill the middle but what's happening now is thrilling and interesting.

Arthur death was a brilliant scene[as well as elevator sylar] altough it didn't quite made sense how sylar appear there and why his powers were still working. Nor how did sylar knew about the lying-detector girl. But that's tv!

In other news Nathat is creating superhumans apparently unaffected by the consequences of his actions [ speaking of which, when does he do his senator work?! that's what senators do? fly and take over suspicious companies? don't they have to vote or smth? ]. Hiro and Claire end dramatically their journey in the past [ how on earth did Arthur came there!? tv again i guess.. ]. and Peter is still powerless..but a hero!..ahem..

one last thing. it has been mentioned that with arthur dead and sylar more than alive there is noone to stop sylar. but seriously. stop him from what? sylar doesn't seem to have a goal. he's just on his philosophical journey to discover who he really is. I don't see him interferring or taking over the world...but we'll see.

waiting for the next episode and let'\s hope noone comes back to life and the show keeps the pace!
  • Mostly about Hiro and Claire but the others are busy too.

This episode sorted out some of the loose ends and leaves the way open for the next story arc. The episode was dominated by Hiro's and Claire's visit to 16 years ago when Claire was handed over to Noah by Hiro's father. Hiro's mother was dying then but she cured Hiro's memory loss. This was a good thing as Hiro as a 10 year old in an adult body was really beginning to get on my nerves. The scene where Claire babysits her baby self and chats with Noah was actually quite moving as were the scenes with Hiro and his mother. So this was not the most dramatic episode (though Sylar wreaked a fair bit of havoc) but it was a good episode in the way it revealed important aspects of Hiro and Claire's pasts.
  • Impressive turn of events for season three

Like other fans, I was skeptical about season 3's progress and felt Heroes was taking a downturn. The "Eclipse" suspense became a listless flip-flop that didn't satisfy demands. The characters felt as if they were running around haphazardly and the script sounded as if the writers were making everything up as they go along. I wouldn't hold my breath but this episode was like the light at the end of a tunnel. It fuses into the story arch beautifully and delivers the goods. I hope the writers are making progress and can pull themselves out of the mess of season three. We've left behind the organic feeling of season one but we can still have fun watching the adventures unfold. It's emotional to see Hiro with his mother, shocking when Claire encounters herself as a child, and suspenseful when Arthur Petrelli assembles an army of human guinea pigs for experimentation.

The overlaps of time traveling should get dull at this point but the script (surprisingly) managed to keep it fresh and keep characters IN character. I sense that the writers were trying too hard to push characters into certain directions to bring out their "bad" sides to tie into the Villains arch. But fighting against the grain doesn't please the fans and we don't like to see characters making foolish decisions all the time. It was nice to see a bit of the sweet-faced cheerleader Claire from season one and a bit magical when Hiro convinces his mother to put the catalyst into his body. Of course, Arthur Petrelli has to come and wreck Hiro's mission but the surprises are not over yet. I was unsatisfied with the attempts to "reform" Sylar this season. Much of the show's suspense revolves around everyone's favorite adversary. But when he's tame, the suspense is lost. Sylar is, quite frankly, the square peg who won't fit the round hole. He's much more fun (and lethal) when Sylar is able to plot his own agenda and act upon impulse. Thank goodness he's not a Petrelli because it gives Sylar an excuse to go back to his brain-slicing habits. After being deprived of psycho Sylar for so long, I laughed at his "cake" comment pronouncing his return to serial killer. However, there's not telling if Sylar will be able to continue his killing sprees successfully or if Nathan can create his troop of superheroes to do his bidding. I've learned not to anticipate too on this show because when it's doing well, it goes for the unexpected. Let's just hope it stays on this course for the rest of season three.
  • One of the best episodes of the season, by far.

Well in my previous reviews I have been complaining about the quality of the episodes. I feel that Heroes is failing to be the show that it once was but after this episode I admit that it is slowly bringing itself back from the dead.
    In this episode Claire and Hiro travel back in time to stop Claire from recieving the catalyst which results in death. The biggest highlight of the episode had to be Sylar going back to his old villainous ways. I have missed the Sylar from season one and even though it has resulted in the deaths of Arthur and Elle, I am happy to see him back. Zachary Quinto is a good actor, but he is a way better villain.
    One intesting thing about this episode was the lack of various storylines going on. Whilst Heroes has a large cast I believe that it fairs better when it only focuses on a few stories per episode and this was one of those cases. We had Claire and Hiro in the past, Nathan taking over Primatech and then shorter storylines involving Peter attempting to kill his father and Ando realising he can obtain a power too. There was a lot of build up for the next few episodes and I hope that the show keeps at this interesting and faster pace.
    Arthur's death was definately the most shocking moment of this episode. Whilst I thought Arthur was a great villain I was happy to see him go as now the story can move on to other things. With Sylar at the healm of the series' biggest baddy once more, the show may actually go back to how it was in season one, something fans like me have been waiting for, for a long time. Long live Robert Forster however. I'll wrap the review up here by saying that with Arthur's death the series is most certainly going to take a darker turn and the vision that Hiro had of the future is slowly coming into play.
  • The old man finally died.

I can nott believe that hero lost his powers, that makes me kinda mad. This when his best friend gets his powers. He wants to get them to save hero but in the end he kills him.. Aww.. I was really upset about Sylar and Elle I thought that they were perfect for each other. I am glad that peter got the chance to kill his father, but I had hoped that he would have gotten his powers back in the process. There are only an episode or two left I can wait to see where this whole thing goes.
  • Ya-tah! Something good at last.

Ya-tah! Something good at last. 'Our Father' is a dramatic improvement on the laborious trudge-fest of 'The Eclipse' two parter and, while there is still a little too much running around for my liking, the overall impression is one of a well structured, nicely woven tale. The obvious highlight is Hiro and Claire's excursion into the past which is beautifully executed in all aspects: check out the sumptuous cinematography, the highly evocative direction and, perhaps most importantly, the strength of the acting which, by all accounts, is a complete hole in one. Tamlyn Tomita does an admirable job and George Takei is predictably awesome, but what about Masi Oka, eh? Going from token comedy fodder to haphazard cutie to thoroughly moving emotional wreck in the space of thirty short minutes is no small feat; the guy surely deserves some sort of award. I don't know about you but I was about to ready to bawl halfway through his moment with his mom… in fact, I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it. This is a wonderful piece of character polishing that just hammers home exactly how fantastic Heroes can be when it sets its mind to it. There's Sylar's completely unexpected slaying of Arthur to herald too, as well as the guilty pleasure that is the pursuit of the last 9th Wonders and, of course, Nathan's mission to turn a bunch of soldiers into super-humans which, bizarrely, wasn't as bad as I'd expected. A solid run into the fall, and volume, finale.
    The eclipse is over and the real fight is finally here. Several people are going to be upset about this but Elle's dead. Completely dead. Sylar did kill her. She's gone and Sylar is back to being a villain. That does somewhat annoy me. I liked Sylar being the good guy. The writers though, obviously like Sylar being the villain. Even when he doesn't seem to be the villain anymore, they like to bring him back to being one. Sylar is fed up with being played around by Arthur and Angela but he doesn't quite believe in Noah either. He wants answers and to do that, he'll murder a woman who can detect lies for her power and in a semi-comic moment, kill her employers wishing her a happy birthday. Angela and Arthur sure did a number on their fake son. Peter is tasked by Angela to kill Arthur and he brings along the Haitian with him. Nathan joins up with Arthur and Tracey and gives his decision to join them, if he can become the head of Pinehearst. Arthur initally refuses but Tracey pulls him in. Nathan is somewhat pissed Tracey went behind his back with Arthur but she's not sorry. She's power-hungry and she doesn't care what she has to to get power. Nathan and her have work to do. Pinehearst has rounded up some military commandos for formula experimentation in a sort of supersoliders moment. Nathan talks with a soldier who lost a lot in combat and Nathan thinks he's doing the right thing. Again, no one filled him in on power corrupting. The world will split over who gets to have powers and those who don't. Hiro and Claire stumble into their past to see their origins. Claire meets the past versions of Sandra and Noah and in a confusing time paradox moment, comes into contact with baby Claire. Weird. Claire convinces Noah to not make her the catalyst. Hiro meets up with younger him as well, as well as Mom and Dad. Finally, Hiro's mother is revealed. Sorry, it's not Angela. Hiro's 100% non-Petrelli. Hiro's mother is revealed to be a healer but in the past, she's dying, probably due to the fact that her healing takes health off her. She tries to convince Kaito that Hiro can be the catalyst. Hiro's father mistakes him for a chef. Hiro confronts her and there is a sweet moment as his mom gets to see him as an adult. Hiro reveals his memory loss and his mother heals it. He tells her everything that happened, except that Kaito died, and tells her he's willing to be the catalyst. She trusts him and gives him the power. Hiro's mother was the catalyst. She had the "light", whatever the "light" is. Claire and Hiro meet up. Everything good, right? Nope. Arthur intrudes on the past, sensing Hiro's involvement. In a shock, he steals Hiro's power and the catalyst, whisks Claire back to the present to tell Angela he won, and strands Hiro in the past. Not good. In the present, Matt, Ando, and Daphne look to recover Issac's last story. Ando at last trusts Daphne and Daphne's more accepting to being a good girl. She worked out all her issues with her dad. It takes awhile and outcunning a post-carrier but they get the story, and it reveals Hiro being stranded in the past. The story ends with that. The three deduce that there might be another time-traveler. Ando thinks it could be him and he walks off for Pinehearst, willing for a power. The Haitian senses Peter's conflict with killing his father but Peter's sense of duty outweighs the conflict. He'll do it. Arthur comes back, catalyst with him, and the formula is completed. Nathan, Tracey, and Mohinder are willing to test it out. Arthur senses Peter coming and decides to confront him. The Haitian does his best to block Arthur's powers but Arthur is too strong, a super, superhero. The Haitian can't block forever. Peter hesitates and Daddy goads him that he can't do it, he's weak, how can Peter be his son? Peter fires and. . .Sylar intrudes on the moment, sparing Arthur's life for a second. It's not because he's being nice, he wants to know the truth. Is Sylar a Petrelli? He's not. Peter had to hear it too since he was tricked into believing Sylar was his brother. Sylar says he won't let Peter become a killer, Peter doesn't have it in him. One final kind act for his not-brother. Sylar lets the bullet free and Arthur dies. Sylar lets Peter go because he's powerless. Peter thinks since Daddy's dead, it's over. No. Killing Arthur came too late. The formula is made. The first experiment subject was a success and Nathan is in charge where Daddy left and the future is starting to become true. If people felt frustrated over last week's episode, this episode makes up for it with plenty of surprises, supense, humor, and action. It is too bad Elle had to die. Only one more episode until the next volume. Will Peter get a power back? Will Hiro die? Daphne? How will Nathan and Peter's confrontation play out? And will there be a plane crash as indicated in the spoilers? Next week's episode will answer it all.
  • Hmm, so Arthur is dead?

Hey, how are you folks? I gotta say.. I liked this episode. A lot of stuff happening, pretty intense.
    I really enjoyed Hiro's screen time. It was pretty good.
    I kinda expected Arthur showing up like that.. even though he had no clue that Hiro had intercepted Sylar, due to his call to Sylar on the beach, where he got blown off by the psyco boy who had just killed Elle by the way.. Anyway, he jumped on Hiro and took his juice.

Sylar let Arthur die by a bullet in the brain. I wonder if that's the end of him.. Probably so, since he didn't regenerate after the Haitian left the hall.

Guess it won't take long til Peter regain his own powers but like Sylar, I think he's gonna lose everything he'd absorbed til his dad took his ability.

A good show, an awesome episode. Can't wait to see next week's episode!!
  • A real turn-around episode that sets up the volume finale

The writers have finally realised Hiro and Claire have never shared a scene together so this was a great excude to have Hiro and Claire unite in their bid to stop Arthur by travelling back in time. The chemistry was brilliant and as someone has already said - they didnt even speak the same language! Peter and the Haitian must face Sylar in order to get to Arthur and a powerless Peter - believe it or not is more likeable although he still has that annoying thing with his mouth that he does lol. Lastly, Ando, Daphne and Matt search for the last 9th Wonders! story which rounds off this vast improvement of an episode that made me realise this season may not be as good as Season 1 but this show is still awesome!
  • Peter makes the ultimate sacrifice but it's too late, the future has begun.

Arthur's plan comes to fruition though he doesn't live to see it. The decision to kill him came too late, the formula is finished and though the catalyst is gone, there's 50 doses in the batch.

Hiro's time traveling takes us to a scene we've seen before but Hiro runs off to see his mother, with Claire in tow. Hiro's mother was a healer. Claire thinks they must stop the catalyst being injected into baby Claire and she takes off! Poor Hiro, who speaks no English, has no idea where she went. Then Kaito sees him!

Peter is back in the US but his mother's plan isn't quite what he thought – she wants the Haitian to make Arthur vulnerable so Peter can shoot him in the back of the head! Though she is still manipulating Peter, she's actually doing it with the truth: she poisoned Arthur because he tried to kill Nathan.

Nathan's decision to switch sides starts to make a lot more sense. While he agrees with his father's plan in theory, he also knows how dangerous Arthur is and tells him point blank that he intends to take over Pinehearst. A very smart, very Nathan decision but we already saw him in charge in the future too and it's the same future. I'm very glad to see how angry Nathan is with Tracy's power-mongering. Nathan will be president, nothing has ever changed that future, it's his destiny no matter which timeline we're in and he doesn't need Tracy's manipulations to do it.

When Arthur said he was building an army, he meant it LITERALLY. And then they're going to give them powers! In the future, it gets out into the public – does it end up being sold to the highest bidder? If you can afford a power, you can have one?!

Claire follows Sandra and easily integrates herself, knowing who her neighbours are. Not surprisingly, Bennet's not with her. He bailed and went back to work, some things don't change! Claire doesn't even hesitate to touch her past self, personally I would be creeped out. She takes the opportunity to prepare herself for the future, warning her about a boy in fifth grade she shouldn't share her juice with because he will break her heart. Bennet arrives home and is horrified to find a stranger looking after the baby but in her knowledge of the future, she convinces him to keep the baby away from the Company.

Poor Hiro has to listen to his father talk about him, about how disappointed he is. It would be hard for an adult to hear but Hiro is only 10 now. Hiro tells his mother who he is and she believes him, so sweet. Her healing powers restore his memory. She died when he was little so here she gets to see her grown up son, find out about his life and who he has become. Hiro can also tell her how he and his father grew closer. It's a wonderful opportunity for them both. Claire talked Bennet out of the catalyst which means it will go to Hiro instead. As much as I love Hiro, he's already responsible for losing BOTH parts of the formula. He thinks like a superhero and it always gets him into trouble, he's not responsible enough to protect the catalyst. His mother has the catalyst inside her but the transfer of it kills her.

There's a very sweet conversation between Peter and the Haitian, who knows how hard it must be for Peter to kill his father. That deep down, Peter thinks he can save him. He can't, his father is a monster, a man willing to destroy his own family for power, he has never shown the slightest hesitation or remorse for his actions. The Haitian points out that Arthur didn't kill Peter – that's only because Sylar threw Peter out the window to save him! I have no doubt Arthur would have, he handed Peter over to Mohinder to experiment on! He tried to kill Nathan and Nathan was his favorite! Problem is, even if they manage to take down Arthur, Nathan might just take up his sword. Peter is the opposite of Hiro, so responsible and able to shoulder whatever the burden, a true hero, powers or not.

Sylar actually burns Elle's body, a consideration he didn't bother with before with his victims. She definitely meant something to him. He defies Arthur and intends to go hunting instead. His first stop is Sue Landers. She has a very cool power, lie detection, probably a variation of telepathy. And Sylar goes back to Plan A, it's just so much easier than empathy. He doesn't have to kill but he actually likes it. Now he's killing civilians?! Hilarious when he gets in the elevator covered in blood with the guy cowering in the corner!

Matt, Ando and Daphne track down the messenger and it's a lot easier than anyone thought. They get the sketchbook. Inside is an unfinished 9th Wonder, 'Hiro Lost in Time'. Arthur uses Peter's powers to return to intercept Hiro, take his powers and steal the catalyst!!! Arthur throws Hiro off the Deveraux building! Arthur sends Claire back to the present. I'm not usually squeamish about heights but gotta admit, Hiro hanging upside down on the flagpole definitely gives me butterflies.

The formula is now complete. Peter and the Haitian just walk in through the front door! Quite a clever team – Peter is powerless but with the Haitian around, so is everyone else. As usual, Arthur underestimates Peter, look at all Peter has accomplished both with and without powers. Peter's the strong one and like Charles said to Angela, they were betting on the wrong horse: Nathan, when they should be trusting Peter. Problem is, it's too late – killing Arthur doesn't stop the future, the serum's already finished and being disbursed as we speak. Arthur tries to bargain, he'll give Peter's abilities back. Arthur is the first person to overpower the Haitian. Sylar arrives as the bullet is about to hit Arthur and uses his new found power to find out the truth: is Arthur his father? No. Again Sylar sweetly saves Peter. "You're not a killer, Peter… but I am." He kills Arthur and the catalyst dies with him. Sylar lets Peter live when he killed Elle. They might not be brothers, but Sylar still seems to care about Peter. The first attempt is a complete success, super strength.

This episode is the pay-off that 'Eclipse' was supposed to be. Villian stopped but his mission completed. Peter cannot kill Nathan so what will he do to stop the serum being distributed? A vast improvement on the disappointing 'Eclipse', the story's back on track.
  • The story is now moving back in the right direction.

As revealed at the end of the previous episode, Sylar as decided once and for all who he is. His lack of self identity over the course of the last two seasons seems to have greatly contributed to its shortcomings. And Zachary Quinto brings a marvelous dark humor to the character more than I remember in the past. And the writer's made this change at exactly the right time as the winter hiatus is only one episode away.

Hiro and Claire in the past was very entertaining, although the motivation to go to the past was a bit odd. But this cause was nothing more than the writers' struggle to reclaim the gold they had lost within the past two years. The Writer's strike is certainly a valid scapegoat. Their actions in the past fixed so many assumptions that the viewer were led to believe. *SPOILER HERE* The revelation that Claire believed herself to be the catalyst was corny. It's obvious that the writers can't attribute every mystery to her. So the writer's show the transfer of the catalyst, and the destruction of the catalyst within the single half-hour period. *END SPOILER*

The introduction of sketchbook Isaac gave away before his death should finally limit the future seeing. If the writers limit the foresight in future episodes as they have done in the past, the storyline shouldn't be so... bad. However, travels to the past should continue as they are revealing and can be occasionally clever especially as the rule that what's in the past cannot be changed continues to be followed.

The story for this episode was simple yet entertaining. I feel it is time to celebrate because the slump is over. With the return of a former writer and the freshness of a new story arc, the only place that the quality of this story will go is up.
  • Absolutely amazing!!

So much happened in this episode that surprised the CRAP out of me.....

*SPOILERS*

1.) Hiro is the catalyst!!
    2.) His MOM gave it to him...which was a beautiful scene!
    3.) Hiro is stuck in time and Ando needs to save him!
    3.) Nathan is the new leader of Pinehearst!
    4.) Arthur Petrelli is DEAD!
    5.) Sylar killed him!

Full out amazing episode that felt more like season one than any other episode this season. It gave more depth to many of the characters and gave us an incredible premise for future episodes. This is one that you don't want to miss, so GO WATCH IT!
  • The last of Isaac's sketches are found, Hiro & Claire are lost in time, Ando is planning to obtain an ability, Angela has Peter and the Haitian team up against Arthur, Sylar is back to his old self, Nathan, Tracy, and Mohinder start something dangerous!!

That episode was amazing!! It almost made me cry, it made me super-excited and worried about my favorite characters' lives, we got a chance to see pretty much everyone who appear fairly regularly on Heroes this season (even Elle regardless of the fact that she was dead), etc!

Claire's interactions with a 10-year-old, non-English speaking Hiro in a time 16 years prior were hilarious, Claire's interactions with her mother and herself as a baby were so cute, and her interactions with a wary Noah were so exciting and amazing and what I live for when watching this show! :D

Hiro seeing his parents, especially his father who doesn't believe in him and his mother whom he missed so much, was just amazing. The Hiro/his mother scene - both when Hiro was in the mindset of a 10-year-old and when he was an adult - were both so bittersweet and amazing and brought a tear to my eye.

The Ando/Matt/Daphne team was the cutest thing ever, and all 3 of them just brought smiles to my face throughout the episode. But Ando is going to get the red lightning abiltiy we saw from the future!! OH NO!! Lol. ;)

The Nathan/Arthur/Tracy(/Mohinder) team however is quite the opposite from the aforementioned team and is horrifying. WOW. I'm loving and hating confused Nathan - like we should, sort of like season 1. We care about him, he's fun to watch, but we worry for his life and worry about what he's planning on doing to the world!!

Peter and The Haitian were fun to watch, I was yelling at Peter by the end to just shoot Arthur, his waiting was his doom, lol!! And The Haitian having to strain because of Arthur's power was a really nice touch, I thought.

Sylar, of course, showed up in the nick of time!! :D And he... well... I guess I have to say it - saved the day! LOL. But I'm worried about The Haitian's fate - well really everyone within close proximity to Sylar now, including Nathan, Tracy, Angela, and even Mohinder! Backtracking a bit to Sylar's scene near the beginning where he killed birthday-girl Sue in her Office and then maybe killed the people surprising her was so horribly and wonderfully funny and a great reminder of season 1 and how much I loved it. :D And the elevator scene - from the hilarious elevator music to Sylar's bloody shirt to panning across to suddenly see a poor office working scared to death, to Sylar's comment about the ability and saying "it does tingle" with that guy standing there - I was definitely laughing out loud.

All in all amazing episode, with Elle officially dead and cremated the murderer's way, Arthur really dead (hopefully), Claire no longer the catalyst but stuck back 16 years ago with Hiro, Hiro's memory finally regained, Nathan becoming leader of Pinehearst and giving a first ability out, and Sylar being Sylar again and knowing that he's not really an extension of the already pretty huge Petrelli family, this episode was DEFINITELY a pivotal episode!! Send me a message if you agree or disagree or whatever, I'd love to talk with you about Heroes. ;)
  • The best yet :)

Wow. This episode was by far the best this season. The writers are taking a great step of from what it was previously. Anyone who watched this episode can say that it was much better than the others it was just packed with things but in a good way. Some might say Heroes was going downhill but the episode says the exact opposite time kring promised loast good episodes and he kept it. It was just brillliant words can't describe how good it was you have to see it. This episode reminding me why I watch this wonderful show :)
< 1 2