Heroes

Our Father

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Dec 08, 2008 on NBC

• The story is now moving back in the right direction.

As revealed at the end of the previous episode, Sylar as decided once and for all who he is. His lack of self identity over the course of the last two seasons seems to have greatly contributed to its shortcomings. And Zachary Quinto brings a marvelous dark humor to the character more than I remember in the past. And the writer's made this change at exactly the right time as the winter hiatus is only one episode away.

Hiro and Claire in the past was very entertaining, although the motivation to go to the past was a bit odd. But this cause was nothing more than the writers' struggle to reclaim the gold they had lost within the past two years. The Writer's strike is certainly a valid scapegoat. Their actions in the past fixed so many assumptions that the viewer were led to believe. *SPOILER HERE* The revelation that Claire believed herself to be the catalyst was corny. It's obvious that the writers can't attribute every mystery to her. So the writer's show the transfer of the catalyst, and the destruction of the catalyst within the single half-hour period. *END SPOILER*

The introduction of sketchbook Isaac gave away before his death should finally limit the future seeing. If the writers limit the foresight in future episodes as they have done in the past, the storyline shouldn't be so... bad. However, travels to the past should continue as they are revealing and can be occasionally clever especially as the rule that what's in the past cannot be changed continues to be followed.

The story for this episode was simple yet entertaining. I feel it is time to celebrate because the slump is over. With the return of a former writer and the freshness of a new story arc, the only place that the quality of this story will go is up.
  • Absolutely amazing!!

So much happened in this episode that surprised the CRAP out of me.....

*SPOILERS*

1.) Hiro is the catalyst!!
    2.) His MOM gave it to him...which was a beautiful scene!
    3.) Hiro is stuck in time and Ando needs to save him!
    3.) Nathan is the new leader of Pinehearst!
    4.) Arthur Petrelli is DEAD!
    5.) Sylar killed him!

Full out amazing episode that felt more like season one than any other episode this season. It gave more depth to many of the characters and gave us an incredible premise for future episodes. This is one that you don't want to miss, so GO WATCH IT!
  • The last of Isaac's sketches are found, Hiro & Claire are lost in time, Ando is planning to obtain an ability, Angela has Peter and the Haitian team up against Arthur, Sylar is back to his old self, Nathan, Tracy, and Mohinder start something dangerous!!

That episode was amazing!! It almost made me cry, it made me super-excited and worried about my favorite characters' lives, we got a chance to see pretty much everyone who appear fairly regularly on Heroes this season (even Elle regardless of the fact that she was dead), etc!

Claire's interactions with a 10-year-old, non-English speaking Hiro in a time 16 years prior were hilarious, Claire's interactions with her mother and herself as a baby were so cute, and her interactions with a wary Noah were so exciting and amazing and what I live for when watching this show! :D

Hiro seeing his parents, especially his father who doesn't believe in him and his mother whom he missed so much, was just amazing. The Hiro/his mother scene - both when Hiro was in the mindset of a 10-year-old and when he was an adult - were both so bittersweet and amazing and brought a tear to my eye.

The Ando/Matt/Daphne team was the cutest thing ever, and all 3 of them just brought smiles to my face throughout the episode. But Ando is going to get the red lightning abiltiy we saw from the future!! OH NO!! Lol. ;)

The Nathan/Arthur/Tracy(/Mohinder) team however is quite the opposite from the aforementioned team and is horrifying. WOW. I'm loving and hating confused Nathan - like we should, sort of like season 1. We care about him, he's fun to watch, but we worry for his life and worry about what he's planning on doing to the world!!

Peter and The Haitian were fun to watch, I was yelling at Peter by the end to just shoot Arthur, his waiting was his doom, lol!! And The Haitian having to strain because of Arthur's power was a really nice touch, I thought.

Sylar, of course, showed up in the nick of time!! :D And he... well... I guess I have to say it - saved the day! LOL. But I'm worried about The Haitian's fate - well really everyone within close proximity to Sylar now, including Nathan, Tracy, Angela, and even Mohinder! Backtracking a bit to Sylar's scene near the beginning where he killed birthday-girl Sue in her Office and then maybe killed the people surprising her was so horribly and wonderfully funny and a great reminder of season 1 and how much I loved it. :D And the elevator scene - from the hilarious elevator music to Sylar's bloody shirt to panning across to suddenly see a poor office working scared to death, to Sylar's comment about the ability and saying "it does tingle" with that guy standing there - I was definitely laughing out loud.

All in all amazing episode, with Elle officially dead and cremated the murderer's way, Arthur really dead (hopefully), Claire no longer the catalyst but stuck back 16 years ago with Hiro, Hiro's memory finally regained, Nathan becoming leader of Pinehearst and giving a first ability out, and Sylar being Sylar again and knowing that he's not really an extension of the already pretty huge Petrelli family, this episode was DEFINITELY a pivotal episode!! Send me a message if you agree or disagree or whatever, I'd love to talk with you about Heroes. ;)
  • Not sure what to think.

Spoiler Alert!!

Hiro and Claire go back in time, Hiro gets his memory back just in time for him to lose his power and the catalyst. What was the point of all this BS we've been watching this whole season? I mean, it gets really frustrating when it feels like they build and build and then just derail everything we've been watching for the last two months by making some massive change to everything or killing some major character.

Case in point is Arthur. All of that and then they just kill him? Really? And isn't this show called heroes? And now the two best heroes don't have their powers anymore? I know they're going somewhere with all of this, but they just do it so slowly and painfully and frustratingly I don't know what to think of the show anymore.

Granted this episode was better than its been lately. But, its just frustrating how lousy the writing and character development have gotten lately.
  • The best yet :)

Wow. This episode was by far the best this season. The writers are taking a great step of from what it was previously. Anyone who watched this episode can say that it was much better than the others it was just packed with things but in a good way. Some might say Heroes was going downhill but the episode says the exact opposite time kring promised loast good episodes and he kept it. It was just brillliant words can't describe how good it was you have to see it. This episode reminding me why I watch this wonderful show :)
  • Ready to change the world.

Matt, Ando and Daph found Issac's last issue...:gulp:

Claire and Hiro manage to change the present, one of the firs ttimes that has actually been on this show. They change the future lots but rarely do they change the present. Claire convinces HRG not to bring Claire to the place where she becomes the catlyst and Hiro, through a reunion was his deceased mother (very, very sweet scene), gets his memories back and the catalyst aka the light along with them. I still don't fully get what it is but we know what it does.

Nathan, Tracey, Arthur and Mohinder make the first moves to make a new generation of ordinary people with extrordinary abilities. Manufactured ones that is, there's already plenty of them in the world thanks to the company but now there's another. Kyle...:D (Ironic that he should end of on Heroes after starring on The 4400) I mean Scott. He's stronger then Mohinder, embedding a steal chair in what I'm assuming was a steal wall. That'll end well.

At the very least though Pinehearst may only have enough catalyst included formula for something like 50 soldiers, though with Nathan now at the healm totally unapposed who knows what he'll do next. Like father like son apparently, though we don't exactly have to worry about daddy anymore.

Surprise, surpise Peter couldn't pull the trigger. Though I don't blame him especially considering Arthur was his father and Angela is not to be trusted. But more importantly Peter's no murderer but Sylar is, funny if Arthur had just left Arthur alone he'd probably still be alive. Talk about karma. But anyway when Sylar killed Arthur he killed the light as well. No more maufactured abilities, to bad he was a little to late. One thing I wish he have got to know before Arthur bit the dust was what on earth he was trying to do in placing Sylar and Elle together, there was a point we just never got to know it. Then again I suppose that's mute now.

Speaking of Sylar gods I had forgotten just how scary he can be. It's not that I forgot exactly but after everything that he has been through this season, how much he had changed and how little of that side of him we have actually seen this season I did kind of forget just how frightening he could be. And now that we know that at the very least Angela and Arthur aren't his parents, that they were playing him, trying to weild him as their weapon and took complete advantage of him I don't know where this leaves him. Especially considering that he has totally reverted to form. A big piece that were holding him together (thinking he had a family. A different family, which used to be a big wish of his before he discovered he had powers) has been shattered. He can still take abilities without killing but he doesn't seem to have any interest in that anymore. And yet still spared Peter. He killed that woman who was a human lie detector because he wanted her power, he killed Arthur for everything he did to him and all the lies he fed him, he killed those people in that office because they caught him murdering lie detector chick. But what about Elle? Why did he kill her? I still don't understand, he had her power already. She had nothing he wanted. Was it just because he believed he couldn't really ever changed even if he tried? Then why didn't he kill Peter too? I know he doesn't have powers and back in season one Sylar himself said he wasn't a blind murderer, he kills people for reasons (though they may be rediculous, particularly now) but some of the moves he's making contradict one another. I don't have as much faith anymore that he can still be Gabriel but I'm not convinced all he can be is a monster. There may not be a shining redemption, a family, love, a child or anything even close to Gabriel left for him but I'm not quite ready to let go of Gabriel completely. Not just yet.

Part of it is that I'm clinging to hope about Peter and Sylar, all their similarities. Their lives, their different connections, their similar powers and everything can't just be a coincidence. It can't have all been for nothing, I'm not sure that if there is something there it will be enough to save Sylar in any way shape or formanymore but I still think there may be something there. I'm not willing to let go of the fact that they may be brothers (especially given the extraoridnary lengths they have gone to just to place them together this season), I know it's highly unlikely but a year ago we would have said that about a lot of things when it comes to this show. And as a rule nothing is impossible in the world of Heroes. I'm thinking Vadar in the last minutes of Jedi, with redemptive powers and self sacrifice. One more episode to volume three and in my opinion one last chance to see if there is truly anything in Sylar worth saving, anything that can be saved. Killing Elle, giving into the hunger more ferosciously then he ever has before doesn't leave a lot of room and he's running out of chances.
    The eclipse is over and the real fight is finally here. Several people are going to be upset about this but Elle's dead. Completely dead. Sylar did kill her. She's gone and Sylar is back to being a villain. That does somewhat annoy me. I liked Sylar being the good guy. The writers though, obviously like Sylar being the villain. Even when he doesn't seem to be the villain anymore, they like to bring him back to being one. Sylar is fed up with being played around by Arthur and Angela but he doesn't quite believe in Noah either. He wants answers and to do that, he'll murder a woman who can detect lies for her power and in a semi-comic moment, kill her employers wishing her a happy birthday. Angela and Arthur sure did a number on their fake son. Peter is tasked by Angela to kill Arthur and he brings along the Haitian with him. Nathan joins up with Arthur and Tracey and gives his decision to join them, if he can become the head of Pinehearst. Arthur initally refuses but Tracey pulls him in. Nathan is somewhat pissed Tracey went behind his back with Arthur but she's not sorry. She's power-hungry and she doesn't care what she has to to get power. Nathan and her have work to do. Pinehearst has rounded up some military commandos for formula experimentation in a sort of supersoliders moment. Nathan talks with a soldier who lost a lot in combat and Nathan thinks he's doing the right thing. Again, no one filled him in on power corrupting. The world will split over who gets to have powers and those who don't. Hiro and Claire stumble into their past to see their origins. Claire meets the past versions of Sandra and Noah and in a confusing time paradox moment, comes into contact with baby Claire. Weird. Claire convinces Noah to not make her the catalyst. Hiro meets up with younger him as well, as well as Mom and Dad. Finally, Hiro's mother is revealed. Sorry, it's not Angela. Hiro's 100% non-Petrelli. Hiro's mother is revealed to be a healer but in the past, she's dying, probably due to the fact that her healing takes health off her. She tries to convince Kaito that Hiro can be the catalyst. Hiro's father mistakes him for a chef. Hiro confronts her and there is a sweet moment as his mom gets to see him as an adult. Hiro reveals his memory loss and his mother heals it. He tells her everything that happened, except that Kaito died, and tells her he's willing to be the catalyst. She trusts him and gives him the power. Hiro's mother was the catalyst. She had the "light", whatever the "light" is. Claire and Hiro meet up. Everything good, right? Nope. Arthur intrudes on the past, sensing Hiro's involvement. In a shock, he steals Hiro's power and the catalyst, whisks Claire back to the present to tell Angela he won, and strands Hiro in the past. Not good. In the present, Matt, Ando, and Daphne look to recover Issac's last story. Ando at last trusts Daphne and Daphne's more accepting to being a good girl. She worked out all her issues with her dad. It takes awhile and outcunning a post-carrier but they get the story, and it reveals Hiro being stranded in the past. The story ends with that. The three deduce that there might be another time-traveler. Ando thinks it could be him and he walks off for Pinehearst, willing for a power. The Haitian senses Peter's conflict with killing his father but Peter's sense of duty outweighs the conflict. He'll do it. Arthur comes back, catalyst with him, and the formula is completed. Nathan, Tracey, and Mohinder are willing to test it out. Arthur senses Peter coming and decides to confront him. The Haitian does his best to block Arthur's powers but Arthur is too strong, a super, superhero. The Haitian can't block forever. Peter hesitates and Daddy goads him that he can't do it, he's weak, how can Peter be his son? Peter fires and. . .Sylar intrudes on the moment, sparing Arthur's life for a second. It's not because he's being nice, he wants to know the truth. Is Sylar a Petrelli? He's not. Peter had to hear it too since he was tricked into believing Sylar was his brother. Sylar says he won't let Peter become a killer, Peter doesn't have it in him. One final kind act for his not-brother. Sylar lets the bullet free and Arthur dies. Sylar lets Peter go because he's powerless. Peter thinks since Daddy's dead, it's over. No. Killing Arthur came too late. The formula is made. The first experiment subject was a success and Nathan is in charge where Daddy left and the future is starting to become true. If people felt frustrated over last week's episode, this episode makes up for it with plenty of surprises, supense, humor, and action. It is too bad Elle had to die. Only one more episode until the next volume. Will Peter get a power back? Will Hiro die? Daphne? How will Nathan and Peter's confrontation play out? And will there be a plane crash as indicated in the spoilers? Next week's episode will answer it all.
  • Lost but not found. The beloved magical touch made legendary in Season 1 has finally made its Second Coming. Welcome back Heroes, and may you have a long life ahead of you. The best this series has to offer.

Not since two years ago has Heroes left such an impression on me that has me jumping up and down with joy. What would prove to be very embarrassing for a grown man has awakened my inner geek inside. Everything... everything about this episode was simply mesmerizing: the characters, story, music, writing; I enjoyed everything.

Season 2 had the character development of Season 1. Season 3 had the story. Now, Our Father has not only managed to combine the two winning aspects of Season 1, but trumped any previous attempt. This is by far Heroes' finest hour, and I couldn't ask for a better lead in to the volume's finale.

I was on the edge of my seat the whole hour; couldn't miss a single beat.

I am geeking out right now. Matter of fact, this is my first time writing a review for this site. Not that I have never tried before. Believe me, I have. It's just I had no idea what to write about, and it took me a long time to just come up with one sentence. Everything had to be just right. I realized then, that it sounded to recap-ish. So I deleted everything, wiped it from my hard drive as who would want to read a boring recap for a review. Now, I understand.

This episode has inspired me to take a more spontaneous approach. Works wonders. For me, this is the best way to go about giving impressions, and I can think of no other episode more suited for my first review. Here is to many more to come.

Whether you have this on DVR or waiting for NBC to throw the episode up on their website, you owe it to yourself to catch this once in a lifetime episode... What are you waiting for?!? Go; GO NOW!!! Watch Heroes' historic comeback! And last but not least, may I extend an open hand to all those who jumped ship prior to this episode. Welcome back! Heroes is here to stay.
  • Best HEROES Episode EVER!!!!!!!!(spoilers warning)

this episode was the best in the series till now, well atleast in season 3. the 3rd season was really great actually, i loved it, and i dont care about the stupid critics, I LOVE HEROES!. But this episode was special, i never thought not even a single moment that hiro will be lost in time, and arthur, yes arthur DIES! And my Lovely sylar that i miss in the show is back, and what a hell of a return. And peter, he acually shot his father....that was really shocking. Overall this episode was absolutely amazing, Ireally give it a 100 not a 10. This show really shows the meaning of TV series, and not bunch of crap like supernatural and some stupid comedy shows, THIS IS the BEST!
  • In this episode we get to meet some old and new Heroes. See new and synthetic abilities evolve. Hiro continues his journey with Claire 16 years in the past and meets his father and mother once more.

The episode starts with Hiro and Claire at the deveaux rooftop where Bennet accepted baby Claire as a company assignment. Hiro read in the comic that he and Claire need to prevent baby Claire becoming the catalyst.

We see Ishi and Kaito talk about using baby Claire as the catalyst which is now in Ishi who is very ill. When young Hiro sees a pigeon who is almost dead in a cage he asks his mother to heal it.

In the present dat we see Sylar getting a call from Arthur. In this conversation Sylar is telling Arthur that he wants to now the truth and that he is operating by himself from now when the name Sue Landers shows up. The scene continues with Sylar burning Elle's body.

Peter and The Haitian are going to try and stop Arthur because Nathan has gone native. Peter and The Haitian are the only ones who can stop Arthur now.

In the next scene we see Nathan joining with Arthur and supporting his plan for use of synthetic abilities. Claire meets Sandra in the past and helps with taking care of little Claire. In the next scene Sylar is visiting Sue Landers to take here power which is 'Human Lie Detection'. Daphne, Matt and Ando get their hands on Isaac's Sketchbook. Hiro gets his memory healed by his mother and becomes the catalyst. When he and Claire try to leave Arthur shows op and absorbs Hiro's power and the light, Arthur now becomes the new catalyst. Arthur sends Claire back and pushes hero of the rooftop

Sylar now has the ability to detect lies and confronts Arthur when he meets Peter and The Haitian, Peter fires the gun. Sylar stops the buleet claiming Peter is not a killer, and he kills Arthur which already used the light to make synthetic abilities.

Scott, the test subject now has the synthetic ability of 'Enchaned Strength'.
  • This episode was freaking incredible. EVERYTHING was right. EVERYTHING was there. and it all clicked.

Never since season 1 has an episode had me shaking in my boots. IT WAS AMAZING. such good writing. i'm glad Tim Kring fired those lousy producers. now we've got this!!!

Sylar killed Elle. Why??? to prove who he was? he already had her power. maybe it was to get mastery of it.
    The scene between Hiro and his mom was incredibly touching and so was Claires. And when Hiro got his memory back... just wow.
    The most shocking thing was when Hiro lost his power. WHY??? i hope he gets it back somehow and soon.

SYLAR'S BACK BABY!!! i really forgot how scary he can be. Great scene.
    "Cake?"

The way he killed Arthur was the way it should have been. i don't want to see the dark side Peter. he's developed so much since he lost his power. arthur i think is dead forever. Catalyst escaped from him.

Overall BEST Episode since Season 1 and it surpasses pretty much ALL of Season 1 as well. Must see episode. Can't wait for the finale.
  • This episode started at the roof top with Claire & Hiro, when I saw that Hiro mom save the bird I knew she would help Hiro, I got really excited when he got his memory back. I am glad Sylar is back to his real personality that the Sylar I like to see.

Another great episode and it got a 9.3 score first one in this season. I liked very much specially Sylar I don't know why he is becoming one of my favorite character, Peter need to get his powers back to see really good kick ass fight. I hope Ando get powers and go help Hiro, I don't know how Arthur knew to go back to 16 years and the exactly location. But I am glad Arthur is dead, I dint know that Sylar could walk free around the Haitian what is up with that, cant wait to next week. but i love it..
  • Hiro and Claire travel to the past. Nathan takes over Pinehurst and starts testing the formula. Peter is given the task of shooting Arthur but gets a visit from Sylar

This episode was awesome! This is why I watch this show. This episode had it all. Hiro provided comedy interacting with Claire. Also a dramatic moment when he saw his mother and she healed him. Then gave him the light, which he quickly lost to Arthur along with his ability. Sylar is back to his old ways, and did provided some comedic relief when he got on the elevator all bloody. The tingly feeling is a rip from the Spider Sense. Arthur just appearing and taking Hiro's ability like nothing shows that the main villain can always just appear out of nowhere and do whatever he/she wants. Hiro now lost his powers, looks like Ando gets to play the Hero now. Wasn't Hiro's mom the young Japanese girl from Karate Kid 2?
    Sylar killing Arthur was just too cool. Sylar and Peter got to have some respect for one another to a certain extent. After all Peter is like a thorn at Sylar's side.
    Heroes is back on track baby.
  • Well it's about damn time, I will tell you.

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but… this episode didn't piss me off. I know, what? Granted, I miss Breckin and Seth already. I hope they're back soon, I really, really, REALLY do. Also, I have only one thing to say in the subject of the formula:

OH HELL YES. Ando. I love you. I love you so much. It's about damn time. Get injected with the Heroes version of steroids and let's get this lightning show on the road. Thank you. =D

Anyways, my non-existent respect for Claire isn't non-existent anymore. There. I said it. Yes, I am the same person. Continuing. The scene where she's talking to HRG was… well, in short terms, adorable. Lol… Bonnie. Ha… ha ha. When that dude with the sketchbook tried to resist, I just sat on my couch and went, "Prepare to be screwed." Sure enough, Matt freaks the crap out of the dude and Daphne sends him flying in a manner very reminiscent of Steve Carrell in The 40-Year-Old Virgin (without the billboard truck, of course). So. Sylar. I know you killed Elle, and I know you're once again a heartless bastard, but the fact that we actually believed you were going to be a hero just makes this betrayal that much more satisfying. Granted, I loved Elle, I really did, but evil-Sylar will always kick hero-Sylar's ass to the moon and back. That's just how it is. If I ever get into an elevator with a blood-spattered man with monstrous caterpillar eyebrows, I swear to God I'll call him Sylar, though the chances of this ever happening are sort of slim. And anyways, he might kill me. Which… well, actually, that would really suck.

Peter grew balls. I'm proud of him. I really am. There is one thing that bothered me. Just one word: Hiro. Hiro, are you seriously THAT INCOMPETENT? You kill your own mother unintentionally and then, within one commercial break, lose the thing that killed her? I mean, seriously. You've got to be kidding me. No one is that inept. They can't be. I honestly would've just let myself die, if I were him. No powers, so I'm stuck sixteen years in the past with a blonde cheerleader who can only heal, plus I just made my mother's death a complete waste. I'm even more useless than my 'sidekick', who's, quite frankly, accomplishing more than I am right now. I see no reason to stick to this pole like a lizard. Awaay. So long, and thanks for all the waffles.
  • Seems as if it's missing something...

5.5
    I must say this episode was not my cup o' tea.

The best parts of the episode was when Arthur died and the hilarious office part with Sylar.

Oh, and they also killed off the hottest character, but it's not that big of a lose. I was kind of happy to FINALLY see some people die. If they magically resurrect for some stupid reason I give up on Heroes.

So the formula is finally made, Hiro lost the catalyst as soon as he got it, and Nathan will begin giving out powers.

On a side note, Peter is still powerless. Which brings me to another point --- the way he lost his power is crap, but that happened a while back. Anyway, the writers explanation to him losing his powers was "he was too powerful." That's crap since Arthur and Sylar are just as if not more powerful. This season has been a bitter disappointment.

Has Claire been an annoyance to anyone else this season?
  • Great episode especially the Hiro storyline

This episode looks like something stolen from the first season. Great storyline full with emotions. Hiro meets his dead mother. Clear try to save herself. Sylar is bed again and kills Arthur. The storyline is convincing and is a big step up from the previous episodes. Downside i am really not verty interested in seeing Nathan and Jessy as the major bad bosses next episode. I hope for some great conclusion of the volume. But Sylar has his power back and Peter is powerless and if the formula don't restore the powers to him and Hiro there is gona be no one to stand in his way.
  • "Holy Captain America, Batman!" Super soldiers and now papa Petrelli, the only good villain they had left, is dead. While better than the eclipse episodes, still not where it should be.

I will admit, I liked this episode better than the two parter but I'm still not happy with Heroes. Arthur Petrelli was a great villain. Why? Because unlike the psychopathic Sylar, he had a method to his madness beyond himself. Sylar is now back to his old self and I still can't wait to see him die. Sorry, never liked Sylar and as long as he's like that, never will. The problem I have with this episode is they go through all that trouble to send Hiro and Claire to the past, Hiro gets the catalyst from his mother (which kills her) and then 5 minutes later it's all over. If anything, this should have been the 2 parter, not the eclipse. It was EXTREMELY anticlimatic.

And now, as if pulling pages from the X-Men wasn't enough, we now see shades of Captain America. I'm guessing Sylar's going to go in, destroy the "soldier super serum" and thus only 1 soldier is imbued with super abilities. I'd say he'd slay the doctor but the doctor is Mohinder so I don't see that happening. Of course chances are good he slays Captain America too but I'm guessing somehow he finds a way to overcome Sylar and thus lives up to his "Survivor's Remorse."

About the only good things was Claire and Noah, the Haitian didn't die, and getting the sketch book was pretty funny. Other than that, I can't say I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. It just feels like they keep emphasizing the wrong things. With Arthur dead, the villainy I was liking has died with him. It seems now it has gone from purposeful (we're helping the world) to thuggery (I'm helping me, and that's no lie). Sylar is not a good central villain. Arthur was. Even HRG was. Because they had a method to their madness. Evil works best when it believes it's doing the right thing, even for the wrong reason. That's been stripped out of the show with the death of Arthur.

I'll catch the "final episode of 2008" and hope the cliff hanger ending makes me want to come back in 2009.
  • This episode is exactaly why i love watching the show.

This episode was very touching. To see Hiro as an adult going backwards in time to meet his mother. When she realized who he was, their embrace and tears touched my heart. Who better than his mother to heal him. After she gave him the catalyst, she dies. Imagine looking at your own mother dying before you, again.

Clair had her own problems. Gaining the trust of the woman who would become her mother was easy. Gaining the trust of Noah, a man who can see through people, that was a challenge. Although he did not say it, one can tell he suspected Clair to be his daughter from the future. After all, look at the organization he works for. Time travel is common place in his business.

Sadly Arthur got the catalyst and drained Hiro of his powers and tried to kill him. He sends Clair to the present to give a message on his behalf. I love the way Nathan is evolving. He was good, but is becoming corrupt just like his father to create an army. It is obvious that Peter and Nathan will have to fight one another . Poor Peter, he is without any power.

Sylar is back to his own tricks. I can imagine the thoughts that were going through the girls mind as he was about to take her power. I pity those individuals that came in to give her a surprise Birthday party. The surprise was on them. Once he discover the truth that Arthur was not his father, it was a brilliant move to him as the one to kill Arthur.

Now Ando, Matt and Daphne must find another time traveler to go backwards in time to save Hiro. Poor guy, he regains his memory only to find himself holding onto a flagpole for dear life.

Every episode gets better and better. Tim Kring and his staff are delivering the goods as they promised. It will make me (I am sure others) sad when the final episode is shown on the 15th. I cannot wait until the following year to see what happens to our Heroes.
  • Heroes did it again .

Just when I was starting to doubt about my favourite show this episode comes along and errases ( much like the Hiatian ) any glimpse of it out of my mind.This episode was excellent. The whole past sequence was perfectly timed and without time errors. The only thing I don't understand is why Arthur doesn't take Claire's power. Finally Hiro gains some presence this season and it was about time I was getting tired of his storyline. The formula thing is so simillar to the 4400 that they even try it on a 4400 actor! I think that was funny,it was a message from the production something like I don't give a damn about criticism although many people will probably complain about it. Sylar is back ! He finally takes a side and I think is the right one for the sake of the show and he kills Arthur , does he ? It wasn't suppose to be a shot on the back of his head ? To bad Elle is dead I was kindda of hoping she won't die :( she was my favourite female character maybe she was taking Hayden out of the spotlight, we 'll never know . Anyway this episode was exciting and the show has my full attention , Heroes did it again.
  • two words : people die!!

So the writers seem to be back on their way and i belive,given the fact that this episode was elaborated and made sense,that they actually had this storyline in mind for some time now,maybe even from the first season give the isaac mendez line. Maybe they just didn;t know how to fill the middle but what's happening now is thrilling and interesting.

Arthur death was a brilliant scene[as well as elevator sylar] altough it didn't quite made sense how sylar appear there and why his powers were still working. Nor how did sylar knew about the lying-detector girl. But that's tv!

In other news Nathat is creating superhumans apparently unaffected by the consequences of his actions [ speaking of which, when does he do his senator work?! that's what senators do? fly and take over suspicious companies? don't they have to vote or smth? ]. Hiro and Claire end dramatically their journey in the past [ how on earth did Arthur came there!? tv again i guess.. ]. and Peter is still powerless..but a hero!..ahem..

one last thing. it has been mentioned that with arthur dead and sylar more than alive there is noone to stop sylar. but seriously. stop him from what? sylar doesn't seem to have a goal. he's just on his philosophical journey to discover who he really is. I don't see him interferring or taking over the world...but we'll see.

waiting for the next episode and let'\s hope noone comes back to life and the show keeps the pace!
  • OMG, wow... I dont even know what to say :O

What the heck it was this episode? OMG, brilliant!!!

Lets start with the easiest, it is personal sad for me that Gabriel became Sylar again and also said Arthur isnt his father. I thought that they were really a family, since in the future Gabriel says Peter is his brother.

I was wondering if Angela is really the mother, but Arthur wasnt the father, I hope so, because I want him to be Peter's brother.

I hated the fact Nathan became PineHearst leader, it is silly... he is stupid and he can die. Blah

I knew Hiro was the catalyst, I knew it, just thought it is silly he lost it as soon as he got it. He also lost his power, I think it is the worst part of the serie right now. I mean Hiro is always losing something.

I love the end, when Sylar was killing Arthur, whatsoever, I didnt understand why the Haitain's power didnt work with sylar.
  • A move in the right direction

After the disappointments of the two-part "eclipse", my expectations for this episode were fairly low. So I was a bit surprised to find that most of this episode was quite enjoyable. It gave me some small hope that a tighter focus with a stronger sense of direction could restore the series to its former glory.

The episode focused on Hiro and Claire, so it's probably no surprise that I liked those plot threads the most. In particular, I found them poignant, which is not something I can say about "Heroes" very often. Both situations required a bit of hand-waving and contrivance to work as intended, but after a while, you learn to accept such things (to a certain degree).

I know a lot of people have come to despise Claire, and to an extent it's understandable, but I think the majority of the problem is the writing. Hayden wasn't phoning anything in on this episode. Was it a little too convenient for Noah to listen to the babbling teenage girl with an unknown ability standing over the baby he was just ordered to protect at all costs? Probably. But I couldn't help but smile when he said, "Claire-bear", and realized what was happening.

Similarly, while it seems a bit odd that Hiro's father wouldn't notice the similarities between his son and the mysteriously befuddled "chef" that appeared out of nowhere, the scenes between Hiro and his mother were simply golden. I'd like the writers to bring this generational aspect of the show to an end, to be honest, but this worked. At least, it worked until Arthur came along out of nowhere and undercut Hiro's heroic decision to take on responsibility for the catalyst.

So where the catalyst came from is completely vague, but it can be transferred and apparently works like "the glow" from "The Last Dragon". Wonderful. But why give Hiro the first meaningful moment in the entire volume, only to snatch it out from under him? There's a certain shock value to it all, but the plot necessities seem to be driving that moment.

After all, the writers needed the catalyst to be revealed so that Arthur could steal it, use it to activate the Not-Promicin (because it's red, not green), power up the first batch of Super-Soldiers (beginning, ironically, with a former cast member of "The 4400"), thus setting the stage for a serious Sylar killing spree. After all, once Arthur is conveniently out of the way, Sylar is in the perfect position to force the soldiers to take the Not-Promicin and then steal the resulting abilities.

As usual, Sylar's character motivations are all over the place, and now, his supposed hunger has turned him into a Dexter clone. Now it's not about parental approval, or the hunger for power; it's about the hunger to kill in the process. It's suddenly a liking for violence. This may swing him back closer to the amoral characterization of the first two seasons, but it doesn't ring true with the rest of the third volume at all.

At the very least, Sylar's arrival should put an end to Arthur's plan, regardless of Nathan's intentions. Sylar might even wipe out Nathan and Tracy in the process of taking control of the facility. But I'm not sure whether or not this will end with Peter and Hiro's powers restored. A lot is still up in the air, and the writers still need to bring all of this to a meaningful conclusion.
  • Mostly about Hiro and Claire but the others are busy too.

This episode sorted out some of the loose ends and leaves the way open for the next story arc. The episode was dominated by Hiro's and Claire's visit to 16 years ago when Claire was handed over to Noah by Hiro's father. Hiro's mother was dying then but she cured Hiro's memory loss. This was a good thing as Hiro as a 10 year old in an adult body was really beginning to get on my nerves. The scene where Claire babysits her baby self and chats with Noah was actually quite moving as were the scenes with Hiro and his mother. So this was not the most dramatic episode (though Sylar wreaked a fair bit of havoc) but it was a good episode in the way it revealed important aspects of Hiro and Claire's pasts.
  • Great entertaiment..but alas..they should stop treating us like idiots..

I wanted to write a review right after i watched this yesterday, but work is more important so here i go now.

First off, kudos to this Episode as it had me glued to my seat and anticipating every next moment and Heroes hasn't done it to me in a long time..BUT as usual, i have my gripes..and i honestly dun care if i get a few thumb downs for my following comments..and u guys..being really fans of Heroes and TV shows should accept criticism and not blindly folo a show cos its cool..else..the show will never get better..

About:

Bonnie (Claire).. the HRG..we're talking about a 16yrs ago..younger HRG who is ruthless..cynical, suspicious about everybody. BUT he chose to just TALK to Bonnie..and actually LISTEN to her?!? Why? So that we know the origin of the name "claire bear?" Come on..everyone knows he watches CARE BEARS when he was a little toddler and thats how it came about..Issac mendes showed it to me..JUST seconds before he died..he drew me a cartoon about it b4 sylar knocked him off...zzz

Sylar: After mastering the art of getting powers without killing..WHICH removes the hunger, he suddenly decides to MASS kill again..and gets his hands dirty..waste money on laundry..when he could have just took her powers..by EMPHATISING..and just maybe give the gal a heart attack or die a clean death..but no no..he has to check her brains..thats so much easier.. And whats up with him still having powers while Arthur's were gone? The Hatiian only can dispel powers for 1 person? who the hell said that? Everyone around him loses their powers..EVEN IF HE DOESN'T know that they are around..proven so manay times..Hiro and Elle at the theatre..and previous episodes of peter and nathan just coming across him. He doesnt need to pin point to anyone..but OK..lets say he has to specifically pin point arthur..but doesnt mean he loses the ability to auto dispel Sylar's abilities..and when he sees Sylar come in.. im sure he would have judged who is more dangerous right now..and unleashed everything..but moving on..

Hiro/Arthur/Claire..in the past. Come on..lets be realistic, Hiro and Claire going back into the past, i dun care..and it seemed interesting..even the healing of his memories made sense..and the passing of the "catalyst". UNTIL..Arthur showed up..back in tie ..TELEPORTING..ok ok..we dun need to know where he gets his powers from, but this guy seems like the Justice league all put together..and powerful enuff just to make the world safer ALL by himself..

But hey..what did he say when he appeared? Guessed i turn up at the right time? damn..u can turn up anytime u want arthur..11.56..1155..1245..thats what time travel is about..WHY does he have to come at that moment..and take it from Hiro? 1. how the hell did he know Hiro got it from his mum? 2. How he he know HOW to just extract the power from HIRO's chest. 3. Why did he appear there and not at HIRO's mum just to take it from her?
    4. and how did he know this is the moment to appear sp that he can just walk in, take the catalyst and just walk off..when ALL THIS time, he thought the catalyst was CLAIRE and if he knew, why did he send ppl after claire when he could have just back tracked into time and asked Hiro's Dad himself. Giving him the power over time and space practically makes Arthur invincible..and thats why i thought the writers didn't want to give him Hiro's powers, but since he alreaday had Hiro's power, he could have gone back to do anything he wanted..and get answers from anyone dead right?

Anyway..this is getting too long, u guys get my drift, yet again..loopholes galore..and makes no sense..but i enjoy the action and if i dun think too much..this is a great show ^^
  • heroes is back on track

First of, I'm really glad Arthur died. His character was way too boring and one dimensional for me. He was just like a half assed Sylar. Steeling powers but no killing. And his whole company thing. I didn't get the motive behind it, or the whole game he was playing with Angela. In the episode he says "Tell Angela I won." Won what? His voice was just to weird for me. Turtle like and with a strange accent.

The scenes in the past were awesome. Claire finally shows her acting colors and is in some touching scenes with her mother and father. It's always intense and good when there's love and emotion on one side when the other side has no idea. I think at the end HRG realised that the 16 yr old girl in his apartment was actually Claire from the future, and it was a good moment when they levelled on "Claire Bear"

Hiro's scenes with his mother were excellent and very moving. Who better than his mother to heal him. Crazy emotions going on. He is overjoyed to see her after so long and then she dies right there moments later. I'm glad she got to know of Hiro's future before passing.

I am extremely happy that Sylar is back to killing. I thought it was a waste of character for so long while he was suffering with Mommy and Daddy issues, but that lie detection thing he has is a nice touch and makes him even more badass. I'm Looking forward to the next episode, but it sucks this season ends here. Right when it's getting good..
  • Heroes does it again

Once again im left wanting more. This episode wasnt the most action packed but everything that happened was interesting. The best was Hiro and Claire being back in time. Its almost like HRG knew who he was talking to and like everyone else once you see hiros mom heal the bird you know how its going to play out but its still cool to watch. The way everything came together in the end was awesome. Now Nathan is leading an army of soon-to-be super soldiers and im curious what sylar is going to do next.. with arthur out of the picture.. Sylar is the only other person who could be as evil(probably more). So that means peter needs to get his damn abilities back.. or atleast a new one to make him stand a chance. I see ando gaining an ability soon also.. The next episode is going to be sweet
  • I thought you had lost your juice!

Amazing episode. Amazing twist. Amazing plot. Quite possibly one of the best episodes this show has ever produced. So many questions. So many Answers. So many storylines coming together. I cannot think of a better way to revive a show than what I have just witnessed. The only downside is the death of Arthur Petrelli who is such a great character and villain but now we have Nathan who will be like Anakin Skywalker, ie a better villain surrounded by an army of supersoldiers, Syllar who is the true monster he was meant to be and the good guys. Peter getting his power soon of course will help the show in a great way.

Well done and thank you very much I am buzzying.
  • Impressive turn of events for season three

Like other fans, I was skeptical about season 3's progress and felt Heroes was taking a downturn. The "Eclipse" suspense became a listless flip-flop that didn't satisfy demands. The characters felt as if they were running around haphazardly and the script sounded as if the writers were making everything up as they go along. I wouldn't hold my breath but this episode was like the light at the end of a tunnel. It fuses into the story arch beautifully and delivers the goods. I hope the writers are making progress and can pull themselves out of the mess of season three. We've left behind the organic feeling of season one but we can still have fun watching the adventures unfold. It's emotional to see Hiro with his mother, shocking when Claire encounters herself as a child, and suspenseful when Arthur Petrelli assembles an army of human guinea pigs for experimentation.

The overlaps of time traveling should get dull at this point but the script (surprisingly) managed to keep it fresh and keep characters IN character. I sense that the writers were trying too hard to push characters into certain directions to bring out their "bad" sides to tie into the Villains arch. But fighting against the grain doesn't please the fans and we don't like to see characters making foolish decisions all the time. It was nice to see a bit of the sweet-faced cheerleader Claire from season one and a bit magical when Hiro convinces his mother to put the catalyst into his body. Of course, Arthur Petrelli has to come and wreck Hiro's mission but the surprises are not over yet. I was unsatisfied with the attempts to "reform" Sylar this season. Much of the show's suspense revolves around everyone's favorite adversary. But when he's tame, the suspense is lost. Sylar is, quite frankly, the square peg who won't fit the round hole. He's much more fun (and lethal) when Sylar is able to plot his own agenda and act upon impulse. Thank goodness he's not a Petrelli because it gives Sylar an excuse to go back to his brain-slicing habits. After being deprived of psycho Sylar for so long, I laughed at his "cake" comment pronouncing his return to serial killer. However, there's not telling if Sylar will be able to continue his killing sprees successfully or if Nathan can create his troop of superheroes to do his bidding. I've learned not to anticipate too on this show because when it's doing well, it goes for the unexpected. Let's just hope it stays on this course for the rest of season three.
  • Great episode!

I liked this episode. Sylar was so funny at some moments. And when he burned Elle, you could see he was sad. So, he isn't in the Petrelli family. :)
    Hiro took Claire at the time she was a little baby. We met Hiro's mother. She gave the catalyst to Hiro after she cured him so he regained his memory. That scene when she died was so sad.
    Arthur came back in the past and took the catalyst from Hiro and he brought Claire back to the present day but Hiro remained lost in time without his powers. I can't wait to see how it all plays out!
    Arthur put the catalyst in a liquid and faced Peter who wanted to kill him. At the end Sylar killed him saying Peter's not a killer, but he is. I love that part! :)
    At the end, we see Mohinder giving powers to one soldier and it worked!
    I can't wait to watch the volume finale! :)
  • One of the best episodes of the season, by far.

Well in my previous reviews I have been complaining about the quality of the episodes. I feel that Heroes is failing to be the show that it once was but after this episode I admit that it is slowly bringing itself back from the dead.
    In this episode Claire and Hiro travel back in time to stop Claire from recieving the catalyst which results in death. The biggest highlight of the episode had to be Sylar going back to his old villainous ways. I have missed the Sylar from season one and even though it has resulted in the deaths of Arthur and Elle, I am happy to see him back. Zachary Quinto is a good actor, but he is a way better villain.
    One intesting thing about this episode was the lack of various storylines going on. Whilst Heroes has a large cast I believe that it fairs better when it only focuses on a few stories per episode and this was one of those cases. We had Claire and Hiro in the past, Nathan taking over Primatech and then shorter storylines involving Peter attempting to kill his father and Ando realising he can obtain a power too. There was a lot of build up for the next few episodes and I hope that the show keeps at this interesting and faster pace.
    Arthur's death was definately the most shocking moment of this episode. Whilst I thought Arthur was a great villain I was happy to see him go as now the story can move on to other things. With Sylar at the healm of the series' biggest baddy once more, the show may actually go back to how it was in season one, something fans like me have been waiting for, for a long time. Long live Robert Forster however. I'll wrap the review up here by saying that with Arthur's death the series is most certainly going to take a darker turn and the vision that Hiro had of the future is slowly coming into play.
< 1 2