Heroes

Six Months Ago

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Nov 27, 2006 on NBC

• The episode that killed off all interest

I gave this program a lot of tries to entertain me. It succeeded sometimes, sometimes not. But what crossed the line was this episode.

Sure, there were irritating points of the quasi-superhero plotline that I thought were a bit far-fetched and, well, annoying. But this episode put things over the top with a cheesy plotline derived for the "High School Musical" set. It involves the concept of cheerleading as a superpower. That's when the writing surfaced itself as something too awful for me to continue viewing.

And instead of being tongue-in-cheek with how ridiculously silly of a concept this was, the show instead took itself 100% seriously.

Bye bye.
  • this was a good ep

in this ep of the show heroes peter is just gotten out of nursing school and his brother is deciding on what ever if he should prosicute a case or not and his father is mad at that and tells him he shoulnt and nikki meets with her father and is very upset by him and hiro is tring to use his power to bring back someone who is speical to him and clair finds out about her powers from cheerleading this was a good ep i thougth and it was very interesting and that is why i gave it a 9 instead of anything lower
  • Six months before the first chapter we see Claire's first healing, Peter and Nathan's lives, Niki's father who returns asking for forgiveness, Hiro's attempt to rescue Charlie and Chadra Suresh searching for Heroes. Finally we meet with Sylar's true face.

This is one of my favourite episodes. Similar episodes (which take place in the past) exist in all volumes so far.
    We see how Claire became a cheerleader and her friendship with Jackie (Claire took Lori Trommel's place in the squad, she is the one that told Claire about Brody in chapter four: Collision). Her father meets up with Dr Chandra Suresh and he is told that his daughter is special. He tries however to get Claire's name off the list.
    Matt is trying to become detective (and fails for the second time - until the first chapter he failed once more). A quite funny scene is between him and Eden at the beginning of the episode.
    Peter becomes a nurse and has a party. His father is absent (we see why in Volume 3) and his mother congratulates him. We witness how Heidi became paralysed and by whom.
    It is revealed that Niki was an alcoholic six months ago. Her father, Hal, visits her and asks to become part of hers and her family's life. At this point we learn that Hal killed Jessica, Niki's sister (Niki and Jessica are NOT twin sisters, they are just sisters). Jessica takes over Niki and sends Hal away from Niki's life.
    The most important of the stories in this chapter is that of Gabriel Gray a.k.a. Sylar. We see who he was, how Chandra met with him because he thought Gabriel was special (he was special as he had the ability to see how things work), what kind of person Gabriel is (as he wished his parents weren't his real parents and always wanted to be special) and how he gained the power of telekinesis.
    Overall this is an excellent episode. It may be confusing watching Homecoming and then this one but believe once you see all four volumes you will understand more of the Heroes universe and you will be captivated by it just like so many people have. Keep this chapter in mind though. It is a vital one in the series.
  • Who I am...

Estos son los episodios que me gustan, los que explican por qué. Y no me refiero a que necesito flashbacks, porque hay flashbacks que sirven para entender algún hecho en particular o alguna característica del personaje. Pero este capítulo explica Heroes, sus personajes, deja en claro la historia de cada uno y además nos cuenta de Sylar, de los malos que quizás no sean tan malos,de Hiro y no todo es como yo quiero, del accidente de la mujer de Nathan! Jessica! y tantas cosas más.
    Me quedo con unas líneas de Gabriel que encajan conmigo a la perfección: cuando le dice a Suresh que siempre esperó a que alguien viniera y le dijiese que su familia no era su familia para así ser otra persona porque ellos le resultaban insignificantes.
  • Loved it

This episode, as indicated by the title, features events that take place six months before the normal Heroes timeline. Chandra Suresh finds and tests a potentially powerful evolved human. Hiro time travels too far, but tries to save Charlie anyway. Claire's life changes while her father finds out she's special. Nathan recruits Peter to help him prosecute Mr. Linderman. Niki gets a surprise visit from family. Mr. Bennet gives Eden a chance for a new life. Matt tries to pass the detective test. Another brilliant episode which put us six months earlier beleave it or not, we see the heroes before they discover there powers and we get a first good look at Sylar.
  • A great, revealing episode!

This episode, as indicated by the title, features events that take place six months before the normal Heroes timeline. Chandra Suresh finds and tests a potentially powerful evolved human. Hiro time travels too far, but tries to save Charlie anyway. Claire's life changes while her father finds out she's special. Nathan recruits Peter to help him prosecute Mr. Linderman. Niki gets a surprise visit from family. Mr. Bennet gives Eden a chance for a new life. Matt tries to pass the detective test. Hiro can't stop Charlie's death and Sylar gets his first victim. Matt doesn't pass his detective exams. "You really wanna eat some donuts."
  • this eposide was made smartly!! it was soo cool!!

this one was soo great because it gives a clue n hoe everybody's lives (heroes's lives) were before six months ago and it was acted brilliantly and it gave a really good background and answered most of the questions that i had when i first watched the first episode and it kind of gave me the next step that i should expect or the next action that would take place in the next few episodes!! it was soo catchy and soo inspiring and had all the ideas that anyone would think of!! it was one of the best i had ever watched!!
  • You get to learn about the heroes 6 months earlier....

This episode was great, you get to learn about the first experiances of the heroes when they got their powers. You also learn alot about the Sylar and how he became an evil person and the reason behind why he kills the heroes. The episode also takes you back to the time where Chandra Suresh (Mohinders father) is back alive.
    You also watch as Hiro goes back in time 6 months earlier from the future trying to save Charlie (the girl from the burnt toast cafe).
    All in all, this episode was great and really helps you get the background information on the heroes and their powers.
  • Really Cool to see the heroes six months ago...

The clock turns back six months for all of the Heroes, Mohinder's father Chandra Suresh arrives in New York to begin his quest to find individuals with extraordinary abilities, and meets someone all to eager to be special, Gabriel Gray or Sylar. Peter celebrates his graduation from nursing school, and learns that Nathan plans to prosecute a case that could mean trouble for the entire Petrelli family. We learn taht Nikki was an alcoholic, her father shows up attempting to apologise for accidentally killing her sister Jessica or Nikki's mirrior friend. Hiro tries to be a hero as he goes back to the past to tell Charlie not to go to work the nex day but then he fiunds out that he came back a little too early. Claire joins the cheerleading squad and makes a curious discovery, when her hand goes through glass and she miraculously heals a little while latter. H.R.G. and the Haitian meet someone special. I liked this episode but got a bit confused through it. YES! we finnaly get to know a bit more of Nikki unfortunately I still cant figure out about her. Chandra Suresh thing was pretty cool aswell. I like Zachary Quinto he's a great actor and I'm ashamed to admit I like his character... SYLAR! Overall great episode but confusing!
  • An episode that shows us back-story in such a way that plays into the flow of the show.

An episode that shows us back-story in such a way that plays into the flow of the show. This episode was a genius was to show us events from the past that could not be explained otherwise. The part I especially loved was the back-story on Sylar, it really shows you why he is the way he is and how he came to be, and the way it is shown is so brilliant. The character development is well thought out, and more twists and conflicts are thrown into the pot. The thing that made me a bit mad was that they didn't show what happened with Niki and the shot she fired last episode, and then this episode they show the same scene but leave it hanging again. It didn't make me not like the episode, but I just really wanted to see how that scene concluded, and now I have to wait again. But it's okay because this episode was so great, the truth is starting to show and the show is taking leaps forward.
  • Who they are and where the came.

7.4
    This episode did little for the main development of the storyline but it made things more clear for us. Like the story about Niki's past was maybe the best part of it as it really opened the reasons why she is acting like she is. And that made much more point to that char and I think looking her story now on different angle, I might even like it.

Also the flashback to Sylar and learning about his past and how he became Sylar. That was very well written, catching and worth much. Taking little of the veil of secrets on this char.

But the most beautiful part of that episode was Hiro and his story with Charlie. Poor Hiro.. in the end discovering he cannot change all...
  • "I can fix it.... It's an evolutionary imperative!" - Gabriel Gray

• I didn't think I was going to like this episode- it seemed like such a gimmick. I was wrong. This was a welcome dose of backstory.

I enjoyed this episode. The characters' backstories are mostly believable and true to what we know of them so far. I'm still anxious to get back to the current storyline, but this interlude was more welcome than intrusive. And Gabriel/Sylar's story is chilling and riveting. I even like Niki somewhat in this early incarnation, but the scenes with her estranged father are unforgivably melodramatic. Ditto the Nathan Petrelli stuff- too much pathos packed into this merely secondary set of characters. Chandra Suresh is infinitely more interesting than his son, Mohinder (who isn't). And Bennett's scenes with Claire and Eden take on an added resonance in light of what we find out about them in the future. Speaking of the future, Hiro is once again the heart of this episode- you can't help pulling for the guy.
  • Back in time!

This episode mostly takes place six monthes into the past. Hiro ends up six monthes in the past and decides he shouldn't try to teleport anymore. He tries saving Charlie, but she doesn't believe him. Niki is at an AA meeting and sees her father there. Peter has a dream that Nathan and his wife get into a car accident. After he wakes up, he gets a call and apparently, the accident happened. Chandra visits Gabriel, who might have powers. When Chandra concludes that he doesn't, he says that he's moving on, but Gabriel gets angry and kills one of Chandra's special persons on the list. Claire and her friend are goofing around when Claire gets cut badly. Chandra calls Mr. Bennet about Claire. Mr. Bennet and Claire are surprised to learn that her hand has healed. Niki turns into her sister, Jessica and threatens her father. Mr. Bennet finds Eden after she convinces Matt to get donuts instead of arresting her. He makes a deal with her. Hiro accidentally transports to Japan right before he and Charlie are about to kiss.

This was a great episode! It was an interesting idea to make it six monthes in the past. I wish Hiro could've saved Charlie. This episode gets a 9.5!
  • Finally! Some back-story!

This episode finally begins answering some of the larger, more general questions about certain characters. Though it focuses mainly on Hiro and his quest to save Charlie, it reveals a lot about Sylar and Mr. Bennett and how they're all related through Chandra. Though Sylar's exact power is unclear (did he steal it through killing or did it just emerge?), it's clear that he's out for those who have power but refuse to use it, to make themselves different. He sees it as a waste and that is a powerful motivation, explaining his seemingly pointless murders.

I was disappointed that it didn't progress the storyline at all, but I wouldn't quite call it filler. Overall, I give it a 9/10, simply because of all the questions answered.
  • Read this review I have good points.

I do understand some of the negative reveiws. However this ep was ment to give berife back story. I don't Like that most people didn't get it. For instances Nikki that was exsplained very well and even hinted to child abuse, which was the reason for the father. Without giving away too much peter and his bother testifing was why his bothers wife was in a wheel chair. Sylar our mystrious villian was given meat. Matt and Mohinders next door "neighbor" cross paths and Mohinders father was given more importance. Was again the show was a filler so when it gained more eps they had to make more. Hench the hugh break they took. All of you who have dvd rewatch and you'll see it does exsplain a bunch and it is only a filler. The best is yet to come.
  • hiro goes six months into the future.

My third favorite episode of heroes. Sylar has been captured, and Hiro is having trouble controlling his power. Peter is actually revealed to be the one who blows up New York. It was revealed in one of peters visions. Since peter saved Claire's life, Claire has now given her respect to peter. I love the part where at the beginning, peter is talking to nathon, then sylar appears from out of nowhere. The ending is great, with peter having that crazy dream about the bomb. Then every hero came together and ran from new york. that was insane. this is a cool episode.
  • An episode where Hiro accidentally travels back into the past, six months

Personally I think this episode is the saddest of all the other current season one episodes.

Hiro met Charlie in the previous episode, and tries to save her in this one. However things don't go so well, when Charlie reveals that she is dying. On top of that Charlie fell in love with Hiro.

The sad part about it, is before they kissed, Hiro teleports to Japan, and is unable to teleport or use any other powers.

The other parts of the show were good as well, as we know some bits and pieces of the past. We also learn a lot about Sylar in this episode.

Overall a perfect 10

Tim Kring and the Writers, keep doing what your doing.
  • As the clock turns back

As the clock turns back six months for all of the “Heroes,” Mohinder’s father Chandra Suresh arrives in New York to begin his quest to find individuals with extraordinary abilities, and meets someone all to eager to be special. Peter celebrates his graduation from nursing school, and learns that Nathan plans to prosecute a case that could mean trouble for the entire Petrelli family. A surprise visit from her father brings out the worst in Niki. Hiro attempts to be a hero and change the future for someone important. Claire joins the cheerleading squad and makes a curious discovery. H.R.G. and the Haitian meet someone special.
  • Let's get lost...

7.8
    This was interesting. It's like the anti-pilot. Everything we thought was real in the pilot appears to be fake and right the other way around. Sylar is not a monster, he's a nerd. Claire hasn't always been a cheerleader, and her pops ain't bad. Nathan didn't realise he could fly when Peter jumped but 6 months before that.

But still, what's going on? When are they getting together. The season's finale has aired while I write this but I don't want to be spoiled yet. Plus will Niki & (her her sisterJessica collide one day? *shock*... well I will see. Since I still have like 11 eps to watch :p...

Arriverderci
  • Some puzzle pieces just fell into place. The storyline was ultimately sad but it emphasizes that the characters are still very human.

This episode gave some answers many have been waiting for - such as why Nikki can do what she does with mirrors and who is jessica, although the actual way that it works hasn't been explained yet (And now after further review of the season, I'm not sure it ever will be...). We also learn what happened with Hiro and Charlie. That storyline didn't turn out as I had expected it would and sort of reminded me of the movie the Time Machine (that you can't save someone who is meant to die), but it was necessary to show that these heroes, although they are supposedly the next step in the evolutionary chain, are not always super-human characters with super-human abilities. *There's one issue I have with this now though, which is that they over-emphasize this "still very human" case with most of the characters far too much throughout the second half of the season, and it ultimately makes Hiro's storylines very flat and less appealing, and Peter's storylines after Claude left in 'Unexpected' basically became laughable.
  • This seemed like it could be a pilot

I watched Heroes tonight. We finally see the backstories of each character and how they came to be who they were. It turns out Claire's father had prior knowledge and that explains his behavior in the first several episodes to air. This was the episode that should have been the first to air rather than now. There's one more episode until the hiatus until after the new year begins.

This did seem like it could be been a pilot but then the show would not have worked as well as it did this past season. Oh well, it's still an awesome show.
  • Review

I didnt really care to learn about the past that much, but I think that had more to do with the point that the producers left us off with Homecoming. Going back into the past to learn where they all might get these powers is something I knew that was going to happen, but they put it right after one of the best shows in the series. The beginning was confusing, with the watch man serving no point...so I thought until it was revealed that he is the terrible Sylar that we have all come to hate for trying to kill all of our Heroes. Hiros stroyline was also one of the more interesting ones, as he feel in love with a woman but then was sent off back to Japan before he could finish saving her. What Sylars purpose for killing everyone is I dont know, perhaps he is doing this for the good of the world. All I know is that the next episode has a lot that it has to go over. Solid episode overall, the beginning was a little weak but the end really picked up.
  • Hiro episode.

So finally we find out if Hiro can change the past and we find out that he cannot. He is unable to save the waitress but he finds out that she would have died anyway because she had a brain tumer. Also we find out how Sylar because the big evil that he is. Chandra Suresh, Mohinder's father came looking for Sylar and told him that he was 'special'. Anyway after not finding anything Chandra is about to give up on him so Sylar kills a person with an ability and steals it. So we find that Sylar can master more than one ability. Also Claire tries to get over what happened. Niki goes after her son and finally Peter is in jail after being arrested at the seen. and Matt comes looking for answers about what happened. Overal a very good episode. Really enjoyed it.
  • questions and answers......

This episode shows the heroes six months ago! We learn what happened to our heroes when they learned that they have special abilities. We see how each copes with this new found power and how their lives change!1! I though this would be like the 1st episode but its not..it tells me me about the characters and what they've been through! It was extremelly exciting! This was a enjoyable episode! This episode shows the heroes six months ago. Chandra Suresh, Mohinder's father, arrives in New York looking for special people. He meets up with an individual that embraces the chance to be unique. Peter graduates from nursing school. Nathan plans to prosecute a case that could cause complications for the Petrellis. Niki receives a visit from her father which brings out the worst in her. Hiro tries to alter the future for someone important to him. Claire discovers her abilities right after joining the cheerleading squad. It was fun to see how Claire found out about her power and went through panic and meldowns trying to figure out what her powers meant and why! I loved watching Claire in the episode, like always! :D Skylar got his name from the watch. He has the best and most powerful power which is not just to have the same powers as others when in close range like Peter but Skylar obtains as many powers as he wants after killing another Hero. We know so much about Skylar now, he is after all of the Heroes because he is a villain and wants more power. Imagine he has killed hundreds of Heroes. That would mean that he is nearly invincable. I am so glad that he did not get Claire's powers! What was he thinking when he killed his firt hero. Was he guessing, had it happened before? Another major revelation is who Jessica is. It's Nicki's dead sister!!
  • "I wanted to be important" Sylar (Gabriel Gray)

Great episode

Time 2 go back 2 where the story truly started from.

6 months ago.

We learn alot about the main characters. And how when they 1st used their powers.

We see Sylar ! his backstory was good. i can't wait 4 him 2 die. i hate him. he is a real bad guy. and he is...........a nerd?! lol. his real name is Gabriel Gray.

now we know why he has been killing............. 2 absorb others powers.

The best parts was when Hiro traveled back in time 2 save Charlie. and she said that she loved him. so sweet.

Heroes is really getting good. ever since episode 9 - Homecoming.

i can't wait 4 next weeks episode

C ya
  • A prequel to the Heroes series

While this episode would have made more sense if it came directly after Hiro went back in time, this is still a fantastic episode and answers quite a lot of confusing questions, such as Mohinder's father being responsible not only for discovering certain Heroes but also for creating both the main villain of Sylar and the good intentoned villain of Claire's father and possibly the reason for saving Claire - so Sylar doesn't absorb her power and become invincible.

Seeing one of the Petrellis flying for the first time, finding out who Jessica is and seeing Claire discover her powers was quite informative but I still don't understand Peter's dreams or the space-time rules.

All in all, this is a great way to introduce the character's powers and is one of the best episodes so far because of this but it doesn't answer all the questions such as the unpersuaded man but I guess those are questions for a different episode.
  • We come to a halt but now we know Skylar?

I was really annoyed when I found out that this episode doesn't continue but goes back but I am so glad that they put all of the right stuff in it and now we know so much more. Another + to this compared to Lost, we don't have to wait 3 years to get some answers! The watchmaker was ok at first but then you knew that something wasn't right. So here is what we know about Skylar in points: (SPOILERS) Skylar got his name from the watch. He has the best and most powerful power which is not just to have the same powers as others when in close range like Peter but Skylar obtains as many powers as he wants after killing another Hero. We know so much about Skylar now, he is after all of the Heroes because he is a villain and wants more power. Imagine he has killed hundreds of Heroes. That would mean that he is nearly invincable. I am so glad that he did not get Claire's powers! What was he thinking when he killed his firt hero. Was he guessing, had it happened before? Another major revelation is who Jessica is. It's Nicki's dead sister!! Freaky! Great episode!
  • This episode doesn't introduce anything new, everything they talk about had been implied in previous episodes.

This episode is more or less a flashback, going back six months in time to show where the heroes were before this all started. The only problem is that everything we see in this episode has already been told to us, either directly, or obliquely. All in all the episode felt redundant, it was just filling space and not advancing the plot. While we've grown to expect that from an episodic series, heroes can't rightly be called episodic, it's more a soap, it's real appeal is that once you start watching you need to keep watching to see anything resolved. However, throwaway episodes like this only serve to disengage the viewer, weakening the whole experience.
  • A look at the Heroes six months ago.

This episode was great. Why was it great? Because it gave me a lot of answers about the characters.

The most revealing part was finding out about how Sylar came about. The scenes are fantastic. The actor playing him is very good and that makes for a few chilling scenes.

The Nikki/Jessica part was also very interesting. We finally know whats going on with her.

Nathan's accident also was very revealing.. I can finally see why he is so uncomfortable with the idea of any special ability. Hiro's part was really hertbreaking. You can't help but be frustrated for him. So close and yet not able to save her.

This episode was all about character development and frankly they did a great job.
< 1 2 3 4