Heroes

Tabula Rasa

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Oct 19, 2009 on NBC

• Not an amazing episode, but some clean slates for several characters.

Clean slates were certainly the theme this week, looking at Sylar, Noah and Emma/Hiro. Starting with the latter, Hiro helped Emma come to accept that her power can be a gift. This is ironically optomistic looking at how Hiro's own power has been and is killing him. Hiro popping in on Peter at the end of last week was a huge fart-bomb on what was a truly great episode- I wasn't looking forward to more of his lame story, but I'm happy to say that he was handled well this week. The writers managed to make the hospitalized Hiro say insightful and smart things, while also maintaining his childish charm. It makes you wonder why they haven't been doing this all along.
    Emma and Hiro shared a nice moment with the children's magic show (Emma and her power have been a great new element to the series) and I am very excited to see if he can save Charlie (currently on Glee), who I think we can all agree was an instant favorite back in S1. I'm glad Hiro disappeared before Peter could come back and quick-fix him.

I liked that they explained how they couldn't just use Claire's blood, (but not how they ignored Claire's reaction to the girl-girl kiss) so Peter and Noah trek off to find a boy who can heal. Maybe I watch a lot of genre shows, but the "everything I touch dies" angle felt a little familiar to me. His healing became a curse, and it was up to Noah and Peter to help him gain confidence again. A teenage boy wielding a shotgun doesn't sit well with me, no matter what the reason, and despite the cool freezing effect, I thought overall this material was handled rather weakly. Peter can teleport, AND freeze time. Why would he stand in front of the barrel and NOT do anything (like point the gun up, or simply take it out of this kid's hands) but let himself get shot? Oh, because the writers needed a plot device to get the kid to heal someone again. Despite me not liking how the scene in the house played out, I'm glad Noah is starting to care about other people. Finally, we have Sylar at the circus. As promising as all this was starting out, this isn't quite playing out as I expected either. It's still interesting though. Sly's memories are returning, but they are Nathan's memories (Parkman's more powerful than I thought) and Samuel is getting impatient. He needs Sylar to be the famed killer he's heard about. Why? This seems foolish and reckless of him- we all know this will end badly for Sam and his "family". In S2, they took his powers away, in S3 they tried to make him good, now he thinks he's someone else. Heroes' constant need of 'taming' down Sylar just doesn't work for me. He needs to be a killer, or they should cut back on the character a bit.
    Darth Maul, or Edgar, is getting jealous of how close Sylar's getting to canvas girl, and I'm always a sucker for a good love triangle. I'm disappointed Winston Zedmore was killed off, but the use of the house of mirrors, both for that scene and for the Sylar murder montage was nicely done. The episode nicely moves the plots forward, but nothing to write home about this week. A few writing annoyances popped up to keep me from giving this a sold 8.