Heroes

The Butterfly Effect

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Sep 22, 2008 on NBC

• "The one that broke the camel's back". How do you mark as "unoriginal" a show that is about super beings? Congrats, Heroes has done it!

I love super-heroes. I love stories about them, the ideas, the hardship, the conflict...
    For about a season and a half (sans the obligatory "everyone survives" ending of S1, Heroes has been that lone exciting star of super-hero wonder.
    Some things didn't work from the start: Mohinder was painfully and frustratingly clean and boring, the series struggled with its direction but man oh man was it a find. Nathan was Peter Parker all over again; the cheerleader growing up in this cruel apocalypse, and Hiro... well, there was a winner if I ever saw one. Fast forward to season three. Mohinder is no longer boring, being a super villain... No wait, he is. So the fix didn't work either. The space-time continuum cunundrums are starting to pile up, and so are the cast. Nathan is so far from PP it hurts. I do like the evil version. Storylines are everywhere and are completely neutralising the characters. And the worst of all? OK, here goes: Pathos. Drama. Frown. Sob. Pathos. Frown. Squint. Pathos. Heroes has become a dark hole that I have no interest of entering any more. It has fallen prey to its own popularity; as I understand it, the idea was to realistically kill many of the characters still cluttering the airwaves today - because the public found them too popular. Well, welcome to paying of the price for it. We could have had two brutal, brilliant series with a bright future in the unknown. What we do have is a porridge sucking all excitement like quicksand. I really feel let down. RIP season three.
  • So we are back with another episode, and darker future then we had before.

So we are back with another episode, and darker future then we had before. Warning spoilers ahead. Last episode Mohinder injected himself with the serum he got from Maya, which gave him abilities. But what we find out about them this episode is that they are very different from what Maya has. It seems as if Mohinder has gone a bit mad with power from the get go, I hope that he doesn't, because he might have found the only way to reverse the powers. What I really want to know is who the heck Tracy is and why does she look exactly like Niki? Tracy seem's to have the power to freeze people, Niki never had that power. Mohinder seems to have some problems ahead of him as he starts to have some weird side effects. I was a bit happy to see that, because I think it will teach him that what he discovered is dangerous and he should work on finding a cure instead. I just hope whatever it is that is happening to him, he is able to survive. What was really strange to see was the present time Peter in the body of a very dangerous criminal, while the future Peter runs around messing things up worse than they were before. This episode really explains the name of this volume, as a whole ton of villains worse than Sylar are released on the world who were once contained. And at the end of the episode, we are given yet another huge shock, as Angela tell Sylar that she is his mother. I really enjoyed this episode, but it's almost as if there is not enough time in one episode to contain all the different side stories taking place. There are just so many unanswered questions, I think the best thing for this show would be to answer some of the questions and kill off some characters, as it is getting pretty hard to keep track of them all. Not only kill off some characters, but not bring them back as well.
  • Future Peter realizes he did more damage that he thought to the present. Claire deals with the aftermath of Sylar's attack. Tracy is visited by a reporter who claims he knows something about her past. Mohinder gets closer to Maya but has more concerns.

The title of the second chapter is full of meaning. The term ''butterfly effect'' has to do with a consequence that happens three years later for something you have done now. More specifically a butterfly's flappig of its wings could result in a whirlwind in the future.
    Sylar leaves from the Bennets and heads to the Company to collect more powers. Elle figures a plan to take down Sylar but she arrives too late as her father ends up dead by Sylar. Elle frees Noah to help her with Sylar. Sylar attacks her and Noah. In an attempt to kill Elle she has an electrical outburst and frees all 12 prisonerz in Level 5 while she knocks down Sylar. Noah puts Sylar in the cell while Elle is fired from the Company by the new head; Angela Petrelli. Angela takes some dangerous measures for the greater good; she reveals a deadly secret to Sylar.
    Claire deals with the fact that she can't feel pain anymore and attempts to stand before a running train to see if she can be killed. At that moment, Future Peter flies and saves Claire. Claire asks Peter to teach her how to use her ability offensively but he refuses and leaves. Returning home, she finds her father who has returned only for a while. He tells her he has to go away again because a group of dangerous superpower villains has escaped from Level 5 of the Company and he is the only one who can bring them back (we see some of the villains in this episode and Noah explains their abilities). In return, Noah introduces the person who will protect them if there is another unexpected visit; her biological mother Meredith Gordon (that we met in Chapter 14: Unexpected of volume 1).
    Future Peter is visited by Angela who explains to him that his visit to the present has dire consequences. Nathan's shot had as a consequence Sylar's attack to Claire (and thus the thing our Heroes tried to avoid the most; Sylar to gain Claire's regenerative power). When Peter visits Claire he witnesses her pain by himself. Trying to fix what he has done, he goes to Level 5 in the Company to save Peter but he is told that they have escaped.
    Hiro is still on his mission to retrieve the part pf the formula stolen by Daphne --the speedster-- and together with Ando they go to Paris. There, Hiro reveals to Ando the dark future he visited in the last chapter and how Ando killed Hiro. Meanwhile, Hiro tries to negotiate with Daphne but with not much luck. Daphne takes off to Berlin, Germany to retrieve the second part of the formula and Hiro has a tracker on her.
    Matt is in the desert and is rescued by a man. He tells him he is in Africa and that Matt has a spirit walk to go through before he returns to USA.
    Tracy convinces the Governor to count Nathan as the new Senator. She visits Nathan and after an intervention by Linderman and future Peter (who revealed his true identity) Nathan accepts Tracy's offer. Meanwhile, a reporter faces Tracy and reveals he has secrets about Tracy. Appearantly he has found a website with someone looking like her (Niki's stripping website seen in chapter 1: In his own image of volume 1) and a video of her and Nathan having sex (seen in chapter 4: collision of volume 1). In a moment of panic, Tracy exhibits her power of freezing and freezes the report who is shattered. Mohinder has tested his new formula and recognizes many differences. He has strength, stamina, speed and he is able to walk on walls. Maya is fascinated by this discovery but still has her doubts. Mohinder and Maya come closer together. In the end however Mohinder realizes that this power may come with some unexpected consequences; a strange affliction to his skin.
    Overall an excellent episode which is put smoothly together with the previous chapter. Key facts: Tracy's power which proves she is not in fact Niki Sanders. Linderman turns out to be only visible to Nathan for some reason. Sylar has acquired one more power and Angela reveals his "true identity" which won't be confirmed until the very end of this volume. Enjoy!
  • A good episode but not a very enjoyable one.

A considerably weaker episode than 'Second Coming' but full of information and even a shocking revelation.

Claire's encounter with Sylar has a strange side-effect: she no longer feels pain. This didn't happen originally so it's not what made her scary-Claire from the future, something else obviously did that.

Angela has a disturbing vision: Hiro stabbed with his own sword, Matt, Peter, Claire being attacked and decapitated. Then a group, one can only assume an alliance of bad guys, Niki (or whoever she is now), Kensei, Parkman and a mysterious black man. Then Sylar comes up behind Angela.

Angela pays a visit to Future Peter who is doing the whole string-timeline thing that Hiro did. He's definitely not our Peter, both sarcastic and formal - 'mother'. Angela lectures Peter on his actions causing a 'butterfly effect' – he told Claire not to go to Odessa which led to her encounter with Sylar. Which confirms that Future Peter switched with Peter before he even got in the ambulance with Nathan, probably when he 'found' the hat and jacket in the bathroom.

Mohinder's powers don't end with super strength, he can defy gravity too! Not to mention sex mad! The Mohinder we know and love is gone without a trace. He learns the side-effect of his untested serum – horrific lesions.

Bob and Elle review a tape of their agents going after Sylar, didn't end well. To say that Bob is an awful father is such an understatement! He uses emotional abuse as his weapon to control Elle and she allows it, he dominates her completely.

I always loved the friendship between Hiro and Ando, and it's terrible to see Hiro being paranoid around Ando. Daphne seems to be quite the thief – what looks suspiciously like the Mona Lisa, golden Egyptian statues etc. Hiro finally tells Ando about his future self.

Finally get a name for both Niki and her mystery politician: her name is 'Tracy Strauss' and he's Governor Malden. Is this really Niki? She's not acting like some temporary personality, she's acting like a real person and seems to have established herself with Malden. Malden tells her to contact Nathan, so we'll soon find out who she is. Then a reporter confronts Tracy with a photo of Niki. Nathan's reaction on seeing Tracy is hilarious! "Speaking of sin…" ; "The word 'biblically' comes to mind." According to Linderman, she really isn't Niki.

Claire goes all 'why am I here?' and tries to get hit by a train. She obviously does mean a lot to Peter because he (literally) swoops in to save her. Guess someone's feeling guilty. Claire's realized the obvious – she needs to learn to defend herself and who better than her uncle to teach her, he's stopped Sylar before. Peter refuses, having already changed the past.

Sylar arrives at the Company's facility and wastes no time – he takes Bob's power – turn objects into gold! Elle goes to the most obvious ally in the building – Bennet. Problem is: Sylar is now unstoppable. But seems Elle's power really is as unstable as it looks – Sylar's attempt to cut her head open releases an explosion! Peter (trapped inside prisoner 'Jesse's body) checks on Elle then escapes with the others. Elle's blast actually knocked Sylar out so he's a prisoner again. With Bob dead, Angela's in charge. A dozen prisoners escaped including Bennet. Elle's fired!

I would have thought that if anyone could tell this wasn't our Peter, it would be Nathan – he's Peter's best friend, not just his brother! Peter comes clean about shooting Nathan. After talking to Peter, Nathan takes the position of Junior Senator for New York. Linderman is invisible?! Is he dead? Or immortal like Claire and Kensei?

And moments later, the dogged reporter shows Tracy the tape of Niki/Jessica having sex with Nathan… which will explain a lot of Nathan's reaction to her. Any doubt that this isn't Niki is gone – she can control ice! And what's even more interesting – she obviously doesn't know about her powers! She's must be related to Niki somehow, this isn't just a resemblance, she's Special too. Sister, cousin?? Where's Niki?!

Poor Matt is in Africa! And he meets a guy who also paints the future and knows his name.

Bennet goes home to Claire but has a new mission – the prisoners who escaped. And he's assigning a surprise bodyguard – Claire's mother! Never thought we'd see her again, wonder how much they had to pay her to do it?

Future Peter comes to restore Peter only to find Sylar captured and 'Jesse' missing. Our Peter is running with an incredibly dangerous crowd who kill people for fun. Does he still have his powers or is he limited to the powers that Jesse has? Peter did leave a message for Nathan, hopefully Nathan gets it and does something!

Most shocking reveal? Angela is Sylar's mother!!! Which means he is either brother or half-brother to both Peter and Nathan!! Certainly explains why his mother didn't have powers when everyone else's parents did. It's obvious where this is going: "Brother vs Brother… it's almost biblical."

The biggest problem with this episode is that it doesn't really drive the 'future' storyline like the previous two seasons did. This episode feels isolated, more filling in gaps and characters than being important to the overall story. Plus, don't like where the stories are headed right now, there's not a single one that feels right. Hopefully this is early season teething problems and it will sort itself out.
  • One of the best Heroes episodes ever, in my book.

One of the best Heroes episodes ever, in my book.

I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and even afterwards when I kept saying to myself how good this premiere was. We got Future Peter, Future Ando, Future Hiro and Future Claire. We got new abilities and abilities we've seen before, only in a different way. We saw characters return, including Linderman, whose first line in the episode made me grin.

It had a lot of nods to the first season and I loved them. Heroes made a great return with this episode, tying up several storylines such as what Sylar does with the brains and some of the small things seen at the end of season two.
  • Sylar launches an attack on the company, releasing many villains, Claire discovers something new about her powers, Tracy unearths a hidden secret, Hiro and Ando follow the speedster to Paris, while Mohinder reveals his new abilities to Maya.

In order of the most interesting storylines I would place Tracy's first, the company's second, Hiro's third, Claire's fourth and Mohinder's last.

Tracy's was the most interesting because, firstly, I found myself wondering who the hell this girl actually was, ('Is it Nikki? Nikki's split personality Jessica going by a new name? Or perhaps the witchy Gina?) which is always fun. Secondly Tracy displays an incredible power, freezing, similar to one of Sylar's many abilities which he lost in season 2, due to the effects of the Shanti virus.

The scene where she freezes the skanky reporter was amazing (the whole episode was worth watching just for that). With this character and her power, we will hopefully be able to witness many more of Tracy's ice attacks, which, so far, has been one of the greatest effects ever achieved on Heroes.

Next up there is Sylar's attack on the company.

The best thing about this storyline was that the great Kristen Bell made a brief appearance as Elle, and also that amazing ability of hers… Elle's character is the most human, I find, with a very interesting back-story that explains why she is the way she is. Let's hope that she returns later on in the series, she's such a great character.

After killing Elle's father, Sylar attacks Noah and then tries to steal Elle's ability; the pain sends Elle's ability spiralling out of control, unleashing a powerful electrical shockwave knocking out Sylar and disabling the power grid on Level 5, letting the villains loose…

The whole of this scene was very short, quick and snappy.This is what made it work so well, less is more. The whole sequence lasted for no less than a couple of minutes, in which I was transfixed to the screen.

After Elle releases a burst of electricity, the camera pans to a dramatic close up of her face, full of panic and confusion, Elle looks helplessly on as the Villains flee, the alarm booming in her ears…This scene was superbly acted and atmospheric, setting the events for the main story ark of Volume 3 in motion.

A couple of moments later we are in Paris with Ando and Hiro. As usual their storyline was fun and full of great humour, providing us with a more relaxing, lighthearted story amidst all the chaos of this episode.

Meanwhile, Claire has dicovered that she can't feel pain after her attack, allowing us to have a snippet of that brilliant Shankar, in a scene where Claire emotionally declares to Sandra that 'pain was the only thing that made her feel human'. This extent of her ability is an interesting development, opening many doors for her character, who can now do almost anything…and let's not forget the most welcomed return of Meredith. It was a great disappointment that we only got to see Claire's Biological Mother for only two episodes in Season 1, she was such a intriguing character. Bringing her back was a great decision.

Lastly we come to the least entertaining story, Mohinder's, in which he begins to mutate. Hmmm…remind you of anything, a crazy scientist tries out his latest invention and his skin starts to drop off…this a complete rip off of 'The Fly' and is painfully ridiculous.

Well, all things considered, 'The Butterfly Effect' has been a very good episode, apart from Mohinder's obscene storyline. This, however, is the one and only bad side of 'The Butterfly Effect'.
  • A big step up from the last episode.

Well we learn a lot of things in this episode, it turns out Tracy isn't really Nikki, she really is Tracy. How would that work, I like her power too, amazing! Elle reprises her role which I didn't expect her doing, I like to see that peter still cares for Elle, when he goes over to her after she had a nervous breakdown with her powers. Nathan's plot was just annoying. Claire's plot was great & leaves a cliffhanger, her mother returns, Claire feels no pain! HRG returns. Matt is stuck in Africa, Ando & Hiro search for Daphne, I love her character by the way. Amazing episode! The Future Peter rocks!
  • Step on one butterfly today, kill hundreds of people in the future :)

Angela Petrelli enters the Company's basement floor 5, where she sees Hiro Nakamura with his sword through his heart, Matt Parkman with his throat slit, Knox pulling Claire Bennet's head off, and Noah Bennet and Peter Petrelli also killed. She then sees Adam Monroe, a woman resembling Niki Sanders and Tracy Strauss, and Maury Parkman, when Sylar puts his hand on Angela's shoulder from behind. Angela wakes up to realize this was a dream.

Claire Bennet realizes that she no longer feels pain when injured, which she felt was all that remained of her humanity. Claire films herself trying to be hit by a train, but Future Peter, masquerading as Present Peter, intervenes before the impact; he then says that she needs to be careful, but that he also has to be careful with what he says to her, and then teleports away.

Meanwhile, two Company agents, Bianca Karina and Gael Cruz, attempt to capture Sylar. One fires a taser at him. He recovers and kills them both with a small hand gesture.

Tracy enters Nathan's hospital room to offer him a seat on the Senate. Nathan believes that Tracy is Niki Sanders, but she insists that she is not. Tracy leaves, somewhat disturbed, and Linderman appears, confirming that Tracy is not Niki, and advising Nathan to accept Tracy's offer.

At the Company, Elle Bishop finds her father, Bob's body with his brain removed. She then lets Noah out of his cell on Level 5, giving him a gun and telling him that Sylar is in the building. As Noah steps out of the room, Elle is telekinetically thrown down the hall by Sylar, so Noah shoots him several times. However, Sylar regenerates and explains that he's already taken Claire's power. After Sylar flings Noah away, he attempts to take Elle's power by cutting her head open. Elle screams and releases a large electrical discharge that knocks Sylar out and allows the Level 5 prisoners to escape their electronically locked cells.

Future Peter explains to Nathan that he is actually from the future and came to the present to stop him from revealing their powers and prevent the future he came from. Nathan then decides to ask Future Peter if he should accept Tracy's offer, but Future Peter tells him only to make the decision himself. Nathan proceeds to call Tracy and accept her offer as Future Peter leaves.

Tracy, walking to her car in the parking garage, is confronted by a reporter, (cameo by "Hero" William Katt), who tries to blackmail her to get her to admit she is Niki, a stripper from Las Vegas. An angry Tracy grabs him, and her emotions trigger her ability of cryokinesis. She accidentally freezes him solid, and he shatters on the ground, dead. Tracy, horrified, flees the scene as the reporter melts down a storm drain.

Later, Nathan is playing a game of chess with Linderman when a nurse comes in to tell him it is time for lights out, and she comments that he can end a game of chess he's playing by himself. Linderman then reveals that only Nathan can see him.

Hiro and Ando travel to Daphne's apartment in Paris, looking for the formula that she stole. Hiro notices an award of Daphne's for a track meet from when she was young. When Daphne arrives, Hiro offers her the award, which he has now stolen from her, in exchange for the formula. Daphne pretends to agree to the trade, but then attempts to take both items. Hiro stops time, but she holds a knife to Ando's throat, since Ando cannot move, and starts to make a cut. Hiro allows her to get away with both items, but when time resumes, he explains to Ando about the tracking device he had slipped into the award. Ando, however, is notices his neck is bleeding, and is astonished that Hiro let him get hurt.

Maya returns to Mohinder's lab, and witnesses him hanging from the ceiling by his legs. She watches as he jumps down, unharmed, and climbs back up the wall, in an insect type of fashion, and after he explains his new powers, Maya expresses her excitement with the results of his new transformation. They then kiss passionately after Mohinder makes an uncharacteristically rash pass at her.

With Bob's death, Angela becomes the new head of the Company, and her first act is to implement some changes, starting with firing Elle. Noah Bennet, now released, returns to his home and finds Claire, alive. Though relieved to see her, he tells her that he can't stay at home because of the escaped villains and prepares to deal with them, shooting down Claire's offer to partner up. When Claire mentions the possibility of being attacked at home, Noah tells her that he had considered that; to make sure Claire stays safe at home, Noah and Sandra reveal their enlistment of the aid of none other than Meredith Gordon, Claire's biological mother, to protect the family in Noah's absence.

Future Peter teleports to Level 5, where Angela angrily informs him that the villains have escaped. Future Peter wonders how this happened different from his time, and also exclaims that he had trapped the present Peter in the body of one of the escaped villains specifically because this didn't occur in his timeline. Angela berates him about the butterfly Effect and blames him for the deviations he has caused from the future she has seen.

Peter Petrelli, trapped in the body of Jesse Murphy, is forced to accompany the other villains in order not to compromise his true identity. As Flint burns a man alive, and Knox punches a man to death, Peter is forced to watch helplessly.

Mohinder wakes up, next to Maya, and appears to be feeling unwell. He goes to the bathroom and washes his face, and we see a strange affliction to his skin, which appears to be forming amber-colored scales. He questions, "What's happening to me?", as this seems to be an effect of the injection he gave himself to give himself powers.

Angela Petrelli ends the episode by going into the cell Sylar occupies and offers him the comforts that a mother should provide for a child. Sylar denies that Angela is his mother, but Angela persists that she is.
  • Villians on Level Five are released. Starring: Jack Coleman, Greg Grunberg, Ali Larter, James Kyson Lee, Masi Oka, Hayden Panettiere, Adrian Pasdar, Zachary Quinto, Sendhil Ramamurthy, Christine Rose, and Milo Ventimiglia. Special Guest Star Kristen Bell

One of the top episodes of the series. This was the second part to the premire episode. I really enjoyed the episode, and it was much better than the first part of the episode. I really loved that Elle (special guest star Kristen Bell) came back into this episode, and man does she have a lot more power than any of us actually realized. (Kristen please come back in regular status!) Hiro (Masi Oka) and Ando (James Kyson Lee) going to Paris to stop Daphne (guest star Brea Grant) could maybe have done a little bit better, but a good job. Matt (Greg Grunberg) being stuck somewhere in Africa isn't a good storyline and i hope it gets resolved faster than Hiro in Japan did. The return of Meredith (guest star Jessalyn Gilsig) was awesome, and a great moment for HRG (Jack Coleman), Lyle (guest star Randall Bentley), Sandra (guest star Ashley Crow), and Claire (Hayden Panettiere). Now i only wonder what happened to Niki (Ali Larter), Micah (Noah Gray-Cabey), and Monica (Dana Davis)? I know that Tracy (Ali Larter) is here, but is she another Jessica or Gina?
  • Freakin' sweet!

A whole lot better than "The Second Coming" which makes it all the better. More action, more powers, more excitement - I love it! But did we need a Maya/Mohinder sex scene? Very un-Heroes, anyway...

I do not get the ratings struggle - if you call yourself a proper fan of a show but give up after 11 episodes because the storylines were not up to stracth is pathetic. Just ignore Season 2 just like how many "fans" ignore Season 3 of Prison Break and Season 2 of Desperate Housewives?? I know or Season 7 of Friends. It's just beyond me how people can be so critical - it was only 11 episodes of Season 2 and the criticism of Season 3 I don't get.
  • Heroes is back with a bang!

This was the best episode of Heroes since Five Years gone I really enjoying Heroes and this episode was just awesome to watch. Poor Bob... not. Actually though Elle was going to die so glad she didnt I was about to go crazy if Sylar would have killed her I would have been mad. Like the new speedster shes fun. Really glad to see Linderman back and I like the twist with him being ghostly. Tracy (cough cough Niki) her power was such a shocker and so cool, best CGI I have seen on a show ever. The ending to this episode was crazy I was like Oh my god!!! cant wait to se more of this show. This is going to be the best season yet.
  • Pure.. Unrelenting.. Self-absorbed.. Ill-conceived.. RUBBISH!!

This show is dead to me. I cannot believe what has happened to all the solid, exceptional pulp the first season dished up in dollops. Here we have rehash after rehash, character rape, ludicrous and uncontrolled plot deviations, and to top it all off Heroes has gone and baptised itself in a bath of holy sh.... I'll stop myself short out of respect for fellow TV.com members.

So now I know that using the writer's strike as an excuse for the horrid quality of the second season was a farce, because clearly these writers are still pulling ideas from places not even bacteria dare to tread.

A shame, a shame, such a shame. I'm sure some of you agree with me and some of you will continue to tune in convincing yourself that Heroes is actually the best show ever. It's these latter folks that truly have my pity and condolences.
  • Pure.. Unrelenting.. Self-absorbed.. Ill-conceived.. RUBBISH!!

This show is dead to me. I cannot believe what has happened to all the solid, exceptional pulp the first season dished up in dollops. Here we have rehash after rehash, character rape, ludicrous and uncontrolled plot deviations, and to top it all off Heroes has gone and baptised itself in a bath of holy sh.... I'll stop myself short out of respect for fellow Gaters.

• Another good episode delving into the consequences of Future Peter's intervention of the past.

As mentioned Future Peter, unlike Future Hiro, didn't consider that altering the past to keep Nathan from coming out would lead to such devastating consequences. Because of what he did, Sylar obtained Claire's power and almost a dozen major captives with dangerous powers were set free. In all likelihood the future Future Peter's created is far worse than the one he tried to stop in the first place. After all, wouldn't he disappear if the dark future was averted, negating his reason for being there? Of course it isn't until after that he begins to craft a time line like Future Hiro did in Isaac's loft (guess Peter hasn't gotten much smarter in the interim four years).

This alternate timeline is brought up in Matt's trek in Africa, where a man named Usutu (played by Ntare Guma Mbaho Mwine, who was cut from the original pilot playing a different character) tells him that the future he saw is now contradicted by Matt being there. He can serve much like Isaac did down to the painting, only this time Usutu is far better aware of the details of his visions (like names). Of course it isn't a coincidence that his painting of a world breaking along a line similar to the Symbol is on a rock in Africa as well as a pier in New York City, but how exactly did that happen?

Mohinder is also seeing repercussions in his research. While at first he becomes basically Spider-Man without the webbing, it turns out there is no free lunch as his skin begins to peel off in chunks. His behavior is far more aggressive and primal throughout the episode, which may indicate the serum is making him more like an animal.

Towards the end of season two, Elle realized how exploited and poorly treated she was her whole life, especially compared to Claire. She's needed validation and in that selfish pursuit, became a hero by saving Mohinder, Maya and Molly (alliteration!) from Sylar. It seemed like that would've been the rest of her arc had the season continued (Kristen Bell was signed for more episodes than Heroes produced last season). Here, it seems like they are continuing that, as Bob reprimands her for letting Sylar get away, and for good reason as we see later in the episode, then as Angela fires her as she lost her protection in The Company. She's been trying to prove herself, and maybe will find an outlet for that finding the escaped villains alone, or with Bennet.

During her attack, Claire remarked that she felt no pain. Afterwards she spends the episode in a state of shock, unable to feel anything and wondering what that means. As she's mentioned, she felt pain, even if it was momentary as the wounds quickly healed. The shutting down of her nerves could be psychological, but maybe Sylar, knowing how the brain operates, flipped a switch inside her brain to turn it off as a way of further manipulation, or to keep her from screaming.

Tracy's story begins to take shape with the obvious follow up of her resembling Niki. Nathan mentions it and in a nice call back, the investigating journalist uncovered the surveillance footage of Jessica and Nathan as well as Niki's website. While we've been lead to assume they're the same person, Tracy freezing the journalist is enough proof for us to assume that they are two different people. The two main theories are that either Tracy is the real Jessica, who didn't die as believed and has a power and multiple personalities like her sister or that Tracy is a clone. I'd rather believe the former, as the latter may be rejected by the audience as a little too much.

With his resources, Hiro identifies the Speedster as Daphne, a woman living in Paris with a lot of expensive junk and no place to put it. Hiro's plan to trade one of her prized medals for the formula reveals the rift beginning between himself and Ando. Of course, seeing a vision of your friend electrocuting you is going to lead to some awkwardness. While it may be easy to say Hiro isn't being fair, the extremity of the vision is enough to explain it. It doesn't justify telling Ando that he went bad. The scene is clearly ambiguous as to which one turned, but Hiro can't be unbiased.

However, Hiro still stands by his friend when Daphne threatens Ando at knifepoint, knowing he has a way around Daphne's super speed making her difficult to locate. Hiro's smart enough to place a tracking device on it, leading them to her location somewhere in Germany. There are plenty of intriguing elements to this, such as who is Daphne's boss, does he/she have the other half and why are they interested in getting it (not to mention Why Germany?)

If the premiere is an indicator, Angela is going to be a huge player in this volume (Cristine Rose has been promoted to series regular). All the major threats so far have stemmed from what Angela and her eleven associates did thirty years prior, but this time Angela's taking a more active role earlier in the game. She finally reveals her power: precognitive dreaming which was Peter's first absorbed power, and makes a power play by trying to put Sylar under her thumb.

Angela's dream is rather graphic, a return to the more grisly imagery of the series' early episodes, where all our heroes are torn apart so much so that not even Peter can recover. In it the rogue gallery includes Knox, an awake Maury Parkman, an unburied Adam and an undetermined character played by Ali Larter. Since both major villains from season two weren't killed off, they must've computed that in anticipation for this.

An interesting theory stemming from Maury's cameo is that he is influencing Nathan by showing Linderman to him only. It shouldn't be a big surprise that Linderman has been an illusion all along, but why and how considering when we last saw him? The Maury theory may be the strongest to date, but it still doesn't explain how Nathan was able to heal from who should've been two fatal gunshot wounds.

There are some questions about Peter's predicament in Jesse's body that will likely be answered soon. What happened to the real Jesse? Did he get "hollowed out" and Peter was thrown in? Do Peter's powers still work and is he collecting the powers of the escapees with him?

There is one major problem with the rogue gallery: "The German" who can control magnetic fields. Seriously? I'm admittedly not well-versed in comics but even I know that's obviously too close to X-Men's Magneto.

And why did they let the pyrokinetic guy burn a woman to death not two yards away from the gas pump? One flame gets too close and they get in the worst gas pump explosion since Zoolander.

The other problem I have is with the reveal that Angela is Sylar's real mother. The secret twist familial relationship has been done so many times, especially in soaps, that for it not to induce eye rolling they need to earn it. A great recent example of one that did is the first season of Dexter, which used a shocking family connection effectively since it was hinted at and alluded to throughout the first season and makes sense when rewatching those episodes. This almost sounds like fan fiction. However, they could easily make up for that shortcoming, like if this is Angela's attempt to manipulate Sylar, since physical torture isn't going to do much now.

Bennet ends the episode with a new mission: to bag and tag the eleven other escapees again. Unfortunately Bennet had little to do in this premiere, which is strange considering he's one of the series' best assets. However, Bennet is on a mission and out to punish someone who hurt Claire, and when is that not entertaining?

Regardless of the nitpicks, this premiere was a solid effort and this one improved upon the first hour. Yes there are plenty of plot holes (as I've mentioned), but this felt as fun as an average first season episode and that's a good indicator. The ratings, unfortunately, were down, but if the episodes maintain and eventually improve on this quality, Heroes could get its buzz back.
  • Sounds like a title of a bad movie.

The fun continues into the third Epsiode. Syler opens Claire's head other than that she didn't want to kill her. Later, she tries to test her powers by trying to get hit by a train. Matt is still out in the desert looking at a California turtle until he meets someone who can change his life. Matt will be out there for a while. Meanwhile, Syler returns to the Company and as a result they released 12 criminals with super powers. With the first season sounds a Avenger comic book, the third season sounds more like "the X-Men" in dividing those with super powers into the good mutants and the evil mutants.
  • Just as fast paced as most of Season 1.

Bashing Season 2 is one thing you will probably find on all my reviews. It was just that awful. It wonder if the number 2 is a curse for TV/Movies, as we so often have seen.

Anyway, things get in motion again. Several storylines happening at the same time, with separate characters developing. We have the Hiro/Ando team again, with some interesting possibilities for the future. We also have Matt getting ready for some adventures. Another one who can paint the future (thankfully, it was an interesting pull of the first season).

Sylar finally gets the power he coverts the most, and starts putting it to use. I'm curious to see how this will turn out. Either he will destroy himself at some point (explosion is ok too), turn into a good guy (maybe some kind of dark hero), or will be buried alive (Adam anyone ?). Turning Sylar into a dark hero definitively gets my vote. Very good actor, on a role with lots of possibilities.

Tracy is a character that really draws my curiosity. Is she just another personality, or a completely different person ? Nicky did have a twin sister, so it is entirely possible their were triplets. Or maybe more ? Too soon to tell.

All things considered, Season 3 holds some nice promises.
  • Better than the first.

This episode was definetely better than the first but there is a long way till it gets like the first episodes of heroes, i think somewhere along the second season they got kinda lost and the episodes stopped being so great like they were before.
    That whole Claire/Sylar scene was not necessarie since we all know he is scary and likes to pray on people like that.
    Im hating the whole Mohynder story, and i always hated Maya, so they both together makes me very irritated.
    I'm glad there are new "heroes", and i loved that bold guy from Veronica Mars, must be fun for him and Kristin Bell to work together again.
    Hoping better eppys.
  • it is like any other episode

this episode is like any other episode in heroes doesn't add anything new to the season or the other seasons ......they are like going in circles ..syller is always the bad guy and they all try to fight it and this episode in particular seams not arranged and disoriented ..it is so dull as an episode and as a show i don't know why it takes all these votes and all this fuss ..is it cause it has lots of actors and actresses in so people only like to see them whatever they are giving something new or not ....this is realy sucks
  • Oh My God!!!

• Mohinder-man Mohinder-man does whatever...

All right I don't know what Mohinder is morphing into after injecting himself with the Serum but at first it was spiderman but by the end your thinking that it could actually be Cronenberg's 'The Fly'. Serves himself right throwing caution to the wind - if he really wanted to win the Noble Prize he would have come up with a cure beforehand. You can tell I've been watching QI - sorry, I shouldn't be plugging other shows.

Sticking with Spiderman references you have Sylar walking down the street like that awful scene from Spiderman 3 as well. Unlike that spidey scene I actually found the reference very funny though.

With the speed that the first episode went this season we get a continuation of the pace and characterisation. This is good and the mood with Hiro back to his old cheery self and on an adventure to stop the spedster is great. I honestly miss Micah a little and with a Nicki Sanders lookalike about in the form of Tracey Strauss he is bound to show up sooner or later. With Nicki I don't know what's happening, maybe the explosion made manifest all her alter-egos but most likely that's not the case as Tracey Strauss seems to have been with President Sheridan, sorry I mean Governer Malden, for a while. Definitely creates something intriguing as we know she is literally an Ice Queen. I also like the fact that Nathan is back to working as he now has a grounding again but who didn't see the twist with Linderman. Matt Parkman becomes an interesting character again here as he treks across the desert (which he has been dumped in by future Peter) and we have the funny joke of him talking to a tortoise, well he thinks he is talking to the tortoise. Like Nathan this guy needs a bit of grounding, something he lost when he split from his job and his wife. Looks like the African desert might help.

We now have Level 5 bad guys escaped, I wonder if Peter will stop them somehow being trapped in one of their bodies. Also I literally cheered when Bob showed up dead. I disliked the character and the actor was in my opinion totally miscast, the only good thing that came from him is Elle. Don't like the final twist with Angela and Sylar though, please don't be true.
  • Painting the future

Heroes' season opener was a scruffy dollop of paint. But in this second episode, writer and series creator Tim Kring gets out a straw and starts blowing threads of paint across the canvas. And in what delicious directions the paint flows: the reveal that /only/ Nathan Petrelli can see Linderman; the new Ali Larter character and her CGI-heavy power; the Hiro/Ando/Daphne tryst; the side effects of Mohinder’s drug; and the African encounter between Parkman and a future-painting shaman. Throw in the revelation that Sylar is actually a Petrelli (he does look like the brothers) and suddenly the paint's colour becomes discernible.

Am I sold? Not quite yet. The writers have a lot of rebuilding ahead. And from what I caught of Heroes Unmasked, there's a chance they'll overdo the action and the effects and underdo the unravelling mystery. But I'm definitely looking forward to the next episode.
  • Ok so was it just me or did Mohinder turned into Seth Brundle fromDavid Cronenberg's movie The Fly from 1986?

Come ON!!! Anyone who has seen this movie MUST see the resemblance. First of all the look alike and they are both scientists who experimented on themselves. And OK, lets say these are both acceptable and NOT so unique situations. Many scientists have done that in movies or even, yes, in real life. And the fact they look SO much alike… the well trained mocha-shiny masculine body and the pitch black curly hair and the oriental chick bones and the black olive eyes …. OK lets say this is also a coincidence. BUT all the rest????? The fact that they had exactly the same effects AND side effects??? Seth was SUPER strong all of a sudden after he came out of the teleportation booth and so was Mohinder after he woke up. Seth was walking around his flat half naked with the same pair of soft pants like Mohinder's and he was walking and jumping on walls PLUS he was super horny all the time!!! Seth was crazy for sugar and Mohinder crazy for milk. Seth fought off some hoodlums with his new super powers and Mohinder did too. Then, when Seth's girlfriend found him climbing the ceiling (like Mohinder), he was talking fast and saying EXACTLY the same things Mohinder did. How better he can see, how STRONGER he is, how FASTER he is and so on. And then he grabbed her and they did … you know …. (exactly what Mohinder and the Mexican girl did) And later on when everything started going south and the side effects started kicking in, Seth started falling apart (literally) like a zombie. And there is a scene where he is standing in front of the bathroom mirror, removing gross pieces of flesh from his body, wandering what is happening to him! Exactly like the last scene with Mohinder … standing in front of the bathroom mirror removing pieces of flesh from his body wandering what was happening to him.
    I mean ok, everybody steals from other writers. EVERYBODY!!! But THIS, is preposterous!!! Come ON!!!
    Generally I enjoyed the first tow episodes. But this was too much to swallow. So just for the disgraceful theft I will give it a 6, otherwise it would get an easy 8.
  • Great episode

I love this show. This was a fun episode. The new power of Nikki/Jessica/Tracy is cool (pun intended). I still can't believe that Ando would betray Hiro. And it was funny that Mohinder's new power, in addition to the strength and athleticism, is superpowered horniness. Let's see him get laid when he's oozing.

Future Peter seems to have mastered a number of powers. I would love to see a showdown between him and Sylar again. We saw a foreshadow of their power last season, but Future Peter seems like he's even better now.

I'm severely hooked on this show and I don't care who knows it.
  • Adventurous!

This episode is really great! It's full of action and plot twists, exactly how I like it!
    I love that Tracy storyline, it's really great! So, she has powers too, she can freeze.. well seems like she can freeze people! The scene when she killed that reporter is really great! And seems like Nathan and Tracy will be spending a lot of time together on the show, that's really great!
    So, the villains escaped. I loved the scene where Elle exploded with all that lightning! Those villains look awesome! That one with blue flames is really a psycho, he burned that women on the gas station just like that. The German seems to have a cool power. And Knox too! And poor Matt is in Africa! :) And present Peter is in Jess's body. Will he do anything to stop those villains or will he stay put so he doesn't blow up his cover? Hm.. :)
    And Angela is Sylar's mom! Wow! And yeah.. Mohinder has a really cool power!
    I can't wait for another episode! :)
  • NBC - Stop hyping stuff that turns out to be crap. Thanks.

5.5
    For all the waiting and all the excitement that was built around this premiere, the results were much lower than what I expected. The clip show was not even really a clip show and was pretty much a waste of time. The episodes themselves (both of which I'm reviewing here) introduced a lot of questions, which could potentially be good ... but half the stuff is just so dumb I don't even care enough to find out the answers. At this point, I wish I could just pick and choose between storylines so I'd only have to watch what happens to the characters I like.

We'll start with the worst - Parkman. Too bad the actor is all buddy-buddy with the creator or whatever, because the character needs to die. His storylines have always been crap, but somehow this season has outdone the past storylines and is even crappier. I think I'll start treating his scenes as commercials so I can walk away and get something to eat. I mean come on, a spiritual journey? That's worse than watching commercials. Stupid.

On to Hiro/Ando. Hiro used to have good storylines, but his blast to the past last year lasted way too long, and now he acted all dumb and lost some important formula and on top of that is all freaking out about Ando because he kills him in the future. Except it could be a shapeshifter. Or he could have just stunned and not killed Hiro. Or Hiro could actually be the bad guy and not Ando. But Hiro is retarded and doesn't think things like that through. He instead just acts dumb and makes his storyline boring.

Niki, or whatever she's called now, can randmoly freeze people. Great. Unless there's some really cool twist to what's going on with her I'm more than ready for her character to be gone too. But then again no one dies for good on Heroes so I don't think she'll ever go away. Claire on the other hand is someone I'd hate to see go away. The Sylar scene with her was great. Pretty intense stuff. The only dumb thing is that she randomly doesn't feel pain anymore and is being all annoying about it. Nathan/Linderman - what? Again, no one on Heroes ever dies for good apparently, which is a really bad move because it makes it pretty much impossible to feel sad when a character dies because they'll just be back again in the next episode. Lame. So yeah, Linderman is not really dead, but sort of? And he saved Nathan. Great, another dumb storyline I wish I could skip.

Suresh and Maya. Maya is getting less annoying, and actually making sense, while Suresh has passed the point of being just retarded and is now just a waste of space (or airtime in this case I guess). I'd rather watch C-Span than this crap storyline. At least one storyline didn't disappont - HRG/Angela. They always seem to have great storylines and are always in good scenes. Angela is by far my favorite character on the show, and I love how she's so bad-***. They did a bad job revealing her power though, they should have made a bigger deal of it. It's cool though that she's still so vulnerable, but never gets scared. I love when she told Elle to go get a new life. Awesome. And she's Sylar's mom?! What?! Oh and HRG - also awesome as always. But he's gonna be paired with Sylar? Hmm...that's the only thing keeping me interested in the show so I guess I'll be back next week to find out how that all goes down.
  • Not the best Heroes episode I've seen, but definitely better than the entire season 2 combined.

In this second hour of the premiere, the stage has been set for what seems to be a pretty good season. Meredith comes back, level 5 villains breakout, and Angela reveals that she's Sylar's real mother. Ok, on with my critique:

Saves the day (pros):
    I really enjoy the fact that Hiro has came back to his comic-relief roots, and to be frank, he is hands down the best character in the series. Moreover, I enjoy seeing the conflict Present Peter is facing inside a level 5 prisoner's body. With such conflicts, the show can truly be smart fun again. Also, Sylar has became an awesome villain again and newcomers Daphne and Tracy have really set the bar high on new characters. Also, Mohinder's new powers are trippy and its fun to see a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde style backstory on his character. Finally, there's no West in sight, which is just awesome.

Ruins the Party (cons):
    Some scenes were a little too weird, such as when Matt is in Africa and thinks a turtle is talking to him (?). There's also a little bit of ambiguities, such as how HRG landed on Level 5 or if Future Peter really is an anti-hero or a villain. Finally, I have no idea how the writers came up with the line "You should've gotten Sprint." All in all though, just because this episode was not as good as Season 1 does not mean it is worse than season two. So despite it's flaws...

Bottom Line:
    I'm honored to say Heroes is back in business.
  • Nice Start to a season

I thought that this episode was a nice start to a new season and it has me looking forward to next weeks episode. This episode is setting up a lot of things for the rest of this season. i liked the Hiro and Ando storyline with them chasing Daphne, a new character who is a speedster. This looks like it will be a good storyline for the rest of the volume. I also liked the short introduction to the new characters who are the villains. It will be interesting seeing what they are able to do and if they can be stopped. I also enjoyed the new addition that was added to the Niki character. It seems like she has developed a new personality that has her own superpower. I can't wait to see what this will bring, along with the Mohinder storyline. Overall this episode was a great one and I can't wait to see the rest of the season.
  • I hope the rest of this season is better than this episode.

I feel that the season premiere could have been better if so many things were not crammed into it. This show is starting to remind me of Lost. It is posing too many questions and not offering enough answers. Maybe the writers are trying to make up for the shortened season last year but I don't feel this is the way to go. Characters popped up with new powers which they didn't even possess in the previous two seasons. Some characters were acting totally out of character. I am hoping that all the things will be explained that were revealed in this episode. Sylar has become a very corny villain. I will continue to watch this season to see if this season can be saved but I really have my doubts.
  • Slow down...

The problem with the beginning of this season is the fact that it wants to say so many things.Many new storylines,many new characters.Come on people,you have a whole season to evolve things and plots,slow down a bit,it gets confusing.The butterfly effect was not a surprise at all,it was a matter of time to happen, with all the time travels...I like the introduction of so many new powers but I feel I had no time to absorb all the new inclusions.I'm a fan of quick paced shows but there is a limit in how fast the pace can be.Also what on earth happened to Mohinder??Has he lost his mind during the summer?His actions are not consistent with the evolution of his character during the previous seasons.I have to wait and see where this is going...Finally,it's great to have Dania and Kristen to the show ;)
  • Good momentum, sloppy in the details.

The season premiere episodes have moved the overall plot along at a brisk pace, I'll give them that. Some of the things that happened in these episodes, like Sylar's confrontation with Claire, felt like the sorts of things that would normally be reserved for sweeps months.

While I applaud the show's creators for moving things along, I have a few gripes about the logic of the powers on display. Speedsters are horribly difficult to write properly, and it's no different here as the new French gamine Daphne inexplicably goes from frozen-in-place to moving at normal speed in Hiro's time-stop field. It's all about the reveal, I guess. Even worse is Future-Peter's negligent usage of his time-travel powers. He arrives at Level 5 after all the prisoners have escaped, and his reaction is what? "Oh noes, I need to fix this, but without using my time-travel powers?" If he really cared about the titular "Butterfly Effect," that would make sense, but he doesn't, and so we have a character with godlike powers and no restraint behaving in a way that makes no sense except in service to the plot. It's really, really hard to write stories about characters like Hiro and Peter, but I don't think it's too much to ask that anyone aspiring to add this kind of character to a story because of the "cool" factor be obligated to put in the mental gymnastics to *make*it*all*make*sense. Yeah, it's hard. Deal with it or don't use it. Geez.

OK, rant over.

But I'm willing to see where all this goes, and I did enjoy watching (most) of it.
< 1 2 3