Heroes

The Butterfly Effect

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Sep 22, 2008 on NBC

• This was incredibly lame - lame dialogues, out of character behavior, lack of logic, lots of clihes and lots of things i've ALREADY SEEN BEFORE

2.5
    This was incredibly lame - lame dialogues, out of character behavior, lack of logic, lots of clihes and lots of things i've ALREADY SEEN BEFORE (mostly in comics and movies). Season 1 was entertaining, that was waste of time - if not for villains. C'mon, try harder, no sane studio exec should order full season after this crap
  • Well, that was...epically disappointing. I mean...wow.

Well, that was...epically disappointing. I mean...wow. Who writes this garbage? It was so rushed and haphazardly put together that my head was spinning from the leaps of non-logic and the vain attempt to suspend disbelief. Nathan's rose-from-the-dead, hallucinating-Linderman, Jesus-freak storyline, Hiro's "I'm feeling bored and inadequate, so I will do something very stupid and rash and completely out of character and world-endangering" storyline, Mohinder's "I'm feeling bored and inadequate, so I will do something very stupid and rash and completely out of character and world-endangering" storyline (version Turning Into A Bug Or Something). Future!Peter's lame "Once more, travel through time and screw things up" plotline, Hiro's lame "Once more, travel through time and conveniently witness coming Apocalypse so as to try and avert it" plotline, and can't they figure out how to do anything in a world of superheroes and sordid past mysteries (still unsolved, by the way!) and infinite possibility **without making it about time travel** anymore? That plot device is so freaking old. Claire's lame "Angst some more about how I'm special and a freak" plotline, and lame "once more argue with HRG about getting involved in dangers things" plotline, Sylar's "inexplicably found out where Claire lived even though he should have had no idea" and "gets immortality and yet somehow gets captured by the Company yet again" plotline, and the painfully stupid "(Luke) Gabriel, I am your (father) mother!" plot twist. Why does everyone have to be related in this show? And Niki/Jessica/Tracy with ice-powers lady. God. Don't even get me started on that mess. Or Elle. Or Maya. Or MATT, the newest person on an "exiled off to some strange foreign land to find himself and be absent from the main storyline for ages and ages" adventure, oh yeah, we've seen how those work out. The utterly careless, pointless way they threw out Angela's "dreams the future" power, like that makes any sense from what we've seen of her and her manipulations, or what we saw of the times Peter used his first power. And still, what the hell was his Dad's power? He must've gotten that, too! The speedster was ridiculous. The new villains were ridiculous. Peter somehow being stuck in one of the new villains' body is ridiculous. The way Future!Peter is still in the past when the entire future is different, and the way that they're portraying time travel and its effects and the ability to see the future is ridiculous. That new African hero or whatever is--well, the character himself isn't ridiculous--YET--but how he's being used is ridiculous, and the "painting the future" shtick is tired. Way tired. And what, did Future!Peter know him or something and send Matt there for some reason? Bringing back Claire's mother at that point and the way they did was ridiculous. Future!Peter treating past!Claire the way he did was ridiculous. Future!Claire looked kind of nifty, but in the previews for the next episode she looked emo and angsty and ridiculous. There is no continuity to this show anymore, in character or in plot. There is no sense of pace, or of timing. It's season three, and still none of the characters have really gotten to KNOW each other, except for the ones who had already known each other all their lives. How about some real character interaction and development, the effects of which last more than one episode? How about answering obvious questions and dilemmas that the audience has already considered, instead of squirming around them with sorry plot devices? Why not stop retconning developments or information given in previous episodes and just stop glossing over it like it was always that way? Why not develop and improve from the last season instead of leapfrogging into the next *ginormous season plot* with zero time for reflection or development on anyone's part, characters or audience? **Why are the writers being so stupid?** They're leaping from the mistake of the last season, *way too slow and too little*, to the exact opposite, *way too fast and too much.* Happy medium, people!! I have absolutely no hope for the rest of the season.
  • Oh My God!!!

This was the best episode of Heroes since Five Years gone I really enjoying Heroes and this episode was just awesome to watch. Poor Bob... not. Actually though Elle was going to die so glad she didnt I was about to go crazy if Sylar would have killed her I would have been mad. Like the new speedster shes fun. Really glad to see Linderman back and I like the twist with him being ghostly. Tracy (cough cough Niki) her power was such a shocker and so cool, best CGI I have seen on a show ever. The ending to this episode was crazy I was like Oh my god!!! cant wait to se more of this show. This is going to be the best season yet.
  • the reek of desperation lingers as the feeling that heroes may be spiraling out of control seems to be a hard one to avoid. WARNING: Spoilers Lay ahead.

People having multiple powers, unprovoked plot twists large chunks of unexplained goings on and a nod to the Fly makes this the worst episode from the series to date, sorry, correction; dropping the Sprint network's name on the African plains and Ando's hadouken makes this the worst episode yet. This cluttered and in often tired cliched arrangement of ideas seems to sag and show how the once fresh faced idea of real super heroes is beginning to show its age. The intrigue is gone and in its place cheap thrills and fan lip-service let this show down like the hull of the titanic. If they manage to recover the series from this awful start that the writers will need to posses powers of resurrection so biblical they would make Claire stand in awe.
  • Pure.. Unrelenting.. Self-absorbed.. Ill-conceived.. RUBBISH!!

This show is dead to me. I cannot believe what has happened to all the solid, exceptional pulp the first season dished up in dollops. Here we have rehash after rehash, character rape, ludicrous and uncontrolled plot deviations, and to top it all off Heroes has gone and baptised itself in a bath of holy sh.... I'll stop myself short out of respect for fellow TV.com members.

So now I know that using the writer's strike as an excuse for the horrid quality of the second season was a farce, because clearly these writers are still pulling ideas from places not even bacteria dare to tread.

A shame, a shame, such a shame. I'm sure some of you agree with me and some of you will continue to tune in convincing yourself that Heroes is actually the best show ever. It's these latter folks that truly have my pity and condolences.
  • Pure.. Unrelenting.. Self-absorbed.. Ill-conceived.. RUBBISH!!

This show is dead to me. I cannot believe what has happened to all the solid, exceptional pulp the first season dished up in dollops. Here we have rehash after rehash, character rape, ludicrous and uncontrolled plot deviations, and to top it all off Heroes has gone and baptised itself in a bath of holy sh.... I'll stop myself short out of respect for fellow Gaters.

• it is like any other episode

this episode is like any other episode in heroes doesn't add anything new to the season or the other seasons ......they are like going in circles ..syller is always the bad guy and they all try to fight it and this episode in particular seams not arranged and disoriented ..it is so dull as an episode and as a show i don't know why it takes all these votes and all this fuss ..is it cause it has lots of actors and actresses in so people only like to see them whatever they are giving something new or not ....this is realy sucks
  • Can't get weirder than that..

In the future, Claire is alive and well but wants Peter's head on a plate so he goes back into the past to fix everything.. or at least try..

So Sylar got back his power and pops out in Claire's house. He can push her into the wall but can't break her closet door?
    Ok, so now he's invincible. And after all this time trying to save the cheerleader.. Sylar gets her power easily and leaves without killing her. He says he can't kill her but cutting her head out of her body would do it, I think. So after all tha trouble of protecting her, she didn't really need to be saved, since she cannnot die...

The future Peter can send others to different places including other people's bodies? Wow..

Hmm, So Bob was killed by Sylar, Micah and her cousin have been written off and Nikki, now Tracy is doing "business" with the governor? And apparently her new personality, Tracy, has some kind of freezing ability..

Linderman is a ghost and only Nathan can see him? And now he's some kind of God fanatic... oh man.. hope it doesn't last long.

Claire is facing some major depression, now that she's not feeling pain anymore.
    She wanted future Peter to teach her to fight or something like it.. but she only got healing factor, she can't do more than that. Not like him anyways..

Elle now has nowhere to go and since Angella didn't see her in her dreams as a super villain, I think the writters are gonna turn her into a good girl.. hmm..

So the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse (lol) are free and Peter is among them.. not to mention that Angela Petrelli seems to be Sylar's real mom.. how nice..

More weird things next...
  • Great episode

I love this show. This was a fun episode. The new power of Nikki/Jessica/Tracy is cool (pun intended). I still can't believe that Ando would betray Hiro. And it was funny that Mohinder's new power, in addition to the strength and athleticism, is superpowered horniness. Let's see him get laid when he's oozing.

Future Peter seems to have mastered a number of powers. I would love to see a showdown between him and Sylar again. We saw a foreshadow of their power last season, but Future Peter seems like he's even better now.

I'm severely hooked on this show and I don't care who knows it.
  • Just as fast paced as most of Season 1.

Bashing Season 2 is one thing you will probably find on all my reviews. It was just that awful. It wonder if the number 2 is a curse for TV/Movies, as we so often have seen.

Anyway, things get in motion again. Several storylines happening at the same time, with separate characters developing. We have the Hiro/Ando team again, with some interesting possibilities for the future. We also have Matt getting ready for some adventures. Another one who can paint the future (thankfully, it was an interesting pull of the first season).

Sylar finally gets the power he coverts the most, and starts putting it to use. I'm curious to see how this will turn out. Either he will destroy himself at some point (explosion is ok too), turn into a good guy (maybe some kind of dark hero), or will be buried alive (Adam anyone ?). Turning Sylar into a dark hero definitively gets my vote. Very good actor, on a role with lots of possibilities.

Tracy is a character that really draws my curiosity. Is she just another personality, or a completely different person ? Nicky did have a twin sister, so it is entirely possible their were triplets. Or maybe more ? Too soon to tell.

All things considered, Season 3 holds some nice promises.
  • excellent

Just in case the third season premiere wasn't enough, there's a double helping of Heroes in one night!!! It's never happened before but what do I care? It was exciting. And what can I say, it was so good, it's an example of what makes Heroes, Heroes. It's great for the show to be back. The Butterfly Effect takes place right after Second Coming. Future Peter is still mindlessly wandering the present, despite that Nathan surrendered giving the disasterous hero-reveal speech. Too bad he had no idea what he was doing and something his present Mom admonishes him over. Apparently, the Nathan speech was supposed to happen or it was a big enough event so that when Future Peter voided the event, it triggered a catacyclismic ripple so that an alternate and possibly deadlier future can happen. For instance, Sylar stealing Claire's power was never supposed to happen. Now that it did happen, Future Peter realizes how deadlier the game's gotten. And it also makes me realize that colder and ruthless Future Peter will stick around awhile while Real Peter's imprisoned in a body that's not his. Future Peter works to resolve his error by talking to Claire and Nathan and oddly, even after knowing it was Future Peter, Nathan never asked where his real brother was. The rest of the heroes aren't having a much better time. Angela Petrelli "dreams" of villains, including Adam/Kensei and Jessica? or Tracey?, joining together. Claire is still reeling from the aftermath of the Sylar attack and a bigger problem is that now, she's beginning to lose pain, the only thing, in her words, that made her know she's still human. Elle and Bob return (Yea!) with Elle asking why her father doesn't trust her. Too bad that's the last conversation she has with her dad. Sylar storms into the Company's Sector Five, where the top superpowered villains are, where Peter is still trapped inside Jesse's body, and where Noah (HRG) is imprisoned, as part of his deal with Bob that the company wouldn't go after his family. Sylar breaks in, murders Bob to Elle's shock (and in some ways, I will miss Bob as a villain), and Elle frees Noah to try and help her. Noah shoots Sylar only to find that yes, he stole Claire's power. Sylar incompasitates Elle and tries to slice open her brain to get to her powers, only to be severally electrocuted. Unfortunately, the blast knocks the power out and the Sector Five baddies, including Jesse/Real Peter, escape. Angela furthers her moral ambiguities by quickly becoming the new head of The Company and she does have old connections to it to have that taken into action, fires Elle to Elle's shock, and Elle is left seen storming out of the building. Hopefully, this isn't the last time we see Elle. Back in New York, Mohinder flaunts his newly aquired abilities in a scene oddly familiar to both Spiderman and the 1986 version of The Fly. And if anyone's seen that, they know how disgusting and messed up that played out. And Mohinder seems to be exhibiting similiar behaviors to Seth Brundle: super strength, super aerobics, and his inhibitions are disabled as he hits on Maya. The endscene with Mohinder, with his skin peeling off and in a normal tone asking what has he done, shows that of course he messed with something that shouldn't be messed with and it will end terribly. Matt makes his way through Africa and encounters a mysterious and sometimes quirky sage who has forseen Matt's arrival and knows what's going to happen. There's more detail into "Tracey" and apparently she's been in the game for some time and is her lover politician's advisor. She seems unaware of Nikki when anyone says she looks exactly like Nikki or when a shady reporter digs up a couple old photos of "Jessica". Is Tracey Nikki? It's hard to say. It only confuses matters when Tracey freezes the shady reporter into icy bits. Nikki never had that ability. A few theories is that she's not Nikki and Nikki is buried back in New Orleans or she is another split-personality of Nikki's and Nikki somehow acquired a new power, possibly a Company conspiracy involving the formula. Meanwhile in Paris, Hiro and Ando hope to trap Daphne to make her surrender the formula and Ando is confused as to why Hiro is giving him the cold shoulder after Hiro foresaw Ando zapping him to death. Nathan is offered a senatorial postion by Tracey and he ponders it over with a little help from Linderman. Or is it Linderman? It doesn't help when it's revealed that no one but Nathan can see him. Noah briefly returns home and warns Claire of the dangerous Sector Five criminals let loose and why he must stop them. Real Peter/Jesse is trapped hanging around Jesse's criminal friends and seeing the agregious things these people commit. Micah is still noticeably absent. A few revelations of the night: Daphne is working for someone, Linderman/Not Linderman is still in question, and probably the big revelation of the night or was it a revelation?, was Angela telling an incompacitated Sylar that she is his mother!!!! Is is true or was she psychologically messing with him? Hard to say but it is somewhat plausible because Angela has copped to an affair with Hiro's father and exactly how many more men did she sleep with? At best, Sylar is Peter and Nathan's half-brother. And Sylar does have the Petrelli dark hair. Personally, I'm hoping she's messing with him because the former option is just way too creepy and unnerving to think about. What can I say about the episode except it was awesome. Exactly what Heroes needs to be. There will be more hero/villain ambiguities as the season goes on and hopefully, many can come back and enjoy the series.
  • Sounds like a title of a bad movie.

The fun continues into the third Epsiode. Syler opens Claire's head other than that she didn't want to kill her. Later, she tries to test her powers by trying to get hit by a train. Matt is still out in the desert looking at a California turtle until he meets someone who can change his life. Matt will be out there for a while. Meanwhile, Syler returns to the Company and as a result they released 12 criminals with super powers. With the first season sounds a Avenger comic book, the third season sounds more like "the X-Men" in dividing those with super powers into the good mutants and the evil mutants.
  • Elle loses her father as she lets lose every prisoner the Company had on level 5.

In a most solid follow-up to the season premiere, armed with Claire's ability Sylar seeks revenge on the Company itself as he takes the life of one Bob Bishop and daughter Elle as well, unfortunately for him her power allows her last minute escape from certain death, unfortunately for the Company the pulse also allows the escape of evert major prisoner on level 5 of the Company and thus Elle is dismissed by none other than the new boss herself: Angela Petrelli.

From the daughter without a father to the fathers without a daughter Mohinder's new power finally kicks-in as Matt finally makes contact with the only living being in the desert Peter put him in a desperate effort to prevent Claire from suffering a future than can't be worst than the one she's experiencing right now so, in order to help her cope, Noah brings in her firestarter mother to teach their daughter how to fight back.
  • A slight improvement over the premiere

(Note: This review covers the second half of the two-hour season premiere event. The first half was covered in a previous review.)

The season premiere was all about setting up the plot threads for this third volume ("Villains"), regardless of how ridiculous some of the required plot acrobatics might have been. But sometimes it's necessary to sacrifice one episode's credibility in the hopes of breathing new life into a concept. With a little cribbing from the best stories of comic book history, the writers might have done just that.

Villains are always fun, and whenever a band of heroes is brought together, the bad guys follow suit. The Company's little dungeon, a fixture since the first season, is the site of a Sylar-induced breakout, and now some of the most powerful and socially repugnant metahumans are on the street, killing and pillaging without a care.

It takes some time to get there, and the theme of the episode is "unintended consequences". Future Peter tried to do the right thing by killing Nathan, but his actions set events in motion. Angela Petrelli is more than happy to blame him for everything, but as noted in the review for the premiere, the coming apocalypse seems to be the result of a convergence of several issues.

In particular, the breakout at the Company was the result of Elle's failure to stop Sylar. Sylar managed to get his hands on Claire, and subsequently, had the power to invade Level 5. Elle intervened, and the result was the breakout. That seems to be more an indictment of Elle's unusual upbringing and lack of judgment than anything Future Peter might have caused. And how exactly is Angela's decision to toss Elle out on her own going to work out well?

In an interesting twist, Sylar does not get away during the breakout, and Angela seems to have plans for him. Not only that, but according to her, it's a family issue; Sylar is apparently another Petrelli brother. At this rate, the Petrellis are going to be as large and dysfunctional as the Summers family from the "X-Men" books.

On the other hand, it's building up the rivalry and parity between Peter and Sylar more than ever, and the writers have once again set things up to delay that inevitable confrontation. The real Peter is stuck with the villains; if Sylar goes after them, and eventually he will, then the two will battle. Future Peter is the wild card, but if Sylar is pursuing the villains, it's possible they'll be allies rather than foes for a time.

Claire, on the other hand, is well on her way to becoming a villain. Her ability to experience pain was a touchstone, however disturbing as that might sound. She could at least pretend, on some level, that she was human. One has to wonder if Sylar did something intentionally to set Claire on her current path. Whatever the case, she's losing perspective very, very quickly, and her descent seems assured.

Mohinder appears on the same path, but the state of his transformation might delay any true villainy. One would also imagine that it would delay the release of the metahuman serum long enough for the villains to expose the presence of the metahumans on their own. Future Peter may have changed the precise circumstances, but as Angela, Hiro, and Magical African Minority Man can attest, the future is still looking dark and dreary.

Speaking of Hiro, he's being ridiculous with Ando. Ando tosses out a few good explanations for what Hiro saw in the future, but Hiro is being rather stubborn with his own interpretation. Will it ever occur to him that his distrustful attitude might be the main reason why Ando eventually turns on him? It's a fairly old story, after all.

Still confusing, however, is this business with "Tracy". Not only does she claim not to be Nikki (or Jessica, for that matter), but she also has this unexpected freezing power. That power seemed to be a bit of a shock to her as well, actually, which just adds to the confusion. The mystery is more annoying than intriguing, so the writers might want to shed light on this sooner rather than later.

That would certainly fit into the theme of "unintended consequences", like much of this episode. Then again, the writers usually manage to throw some twists and turns in each arc, so the truth will likely be more complex. Whatever the case, this episode was a modest improvement on the premiere, and I can only hope that trend continues.
  • An exciting adventure filled with talking turtles, exploding ladies and mistaken identities.

1. Maya and Mohinder were sizzling in this one, that's what I'm talking about! He was hot coming down from that ceiling, that's some awesome stuff right there plus he's turning into some kind of monster? I'm game.

2. Angela Petrelli is such a dislikeable character, what she did to Elle, how she treats her future son… Future Peter was a bit clichéd in this one, it's like they don't know exactly in what direction they want to take him.

3. Claire, doesn't feel human anymore, bu-hu… Now, I wont say I didn't enjoy the video/train scene taking her back to her teenage angst and who-am-I spiel, I mean that's as good as she gets, I just think she's a bit, you know, boring. But clearly her brain rape is a very important plot point so I guess she'll be around. A lot. Again.

4. Nicky in new costume isn't interesting at all, as expected. Really, truly, I could not care less. Now, don't get me wrong, the freezing thing was pretty cool, but other than that it's pretty blah. Plus did she really have to drive it in that she's not a prostitute this time around?

5. Linderman is 6! You better be doing something new with this one because if Linderman starts pretending he's an angel of God well… Just don't go there, please.

6. Hiro is worrying me with this new behaviour, maybe he's the future villain? Also, Peter in Francis Capra's body! Awesome!

7. New arrivals etc… Kirsten is back as Elle, and she exploded, cool! Though the return of Claire's birth mom was just horribly creepy… Mystical I-paint-the-future African guy was cool though, especially when we thought he was a turtle.

8. The agents trying to capture Sylar shot from the car was tres fab, especially the music. But Angela Petrelli is Sylars mother? Give me a break silly plot twist, I will pretend it was just a dream if you will!

For more reviews see http://nerdvana-annihilation.blogspot.com/
  • Another good episode delving into the consequences of Future Peter's intervention of the past.

As mentioned Future Peter, unlike Future Hiro, didn't consider that altering the past to keep Nathan from coming out would lead to such devastating consequences. Because of what he did, Sylar obtained Claire's power and almost a dozen major captives with dangerous powers were set free. In all likelihood the future Future Peter's created is far worse than the one he tried to stop in the first place. After all, wouldn't he disappear if the dark future was averted, negating his reason for being there? Of course it isn't until after that he begins to craft a time line like Future Hiro did in Isaac's loft (guess Peter hasn't gotten much smarter in the interim four years).

This alternate timeline is brought up in Matt's trek in Africa, where a man named Usutu (played by Ntare Guma Mbaho Mwine, who was cut from the original pilot playing a different character) tells him that the future he saw is now contradicted by Matt being there. He can serve much like Isaac did down to the painting, only this time Usutu is far better aware of the details of his visions (like names). Of course it isn't a coincidence that his painting of a world breaking along a line similar to the Symbol is on a rock in Africa as well as a pier in New York City, but how exactly did that happen?

Mohinder is also seeing repercussions in his research. While at first he becomes basically Spider-Man without the webbing, it turns out there is no free lunch as his skin begins to peel off in chunks. His behavior is far more aggressive and primal throughout the episode, which may indicate the serum is making him more like an animal.

Towards the end of season two, Elle realized how exploited and poorly treated she was her whole life, especially compared to Claire. She's needed validation and in that selfish pursuit, became a hero by saving Mohinder, Maya and Molly (alliteration!) from Sylar. It seemed like that would've been the rest of her arc had the season continued (Kristen Bell was signed for more episodes than Heroes produced last season). Here, it seems like they are continuing that, as Bob reprimands her for letting Sylar get away, and for good reason as we see later in the episode, then as Angela fires her as she lost her protection in The Company. She's been trying to prove herself, and maybe will find an outlet for that finding the escaped villains alone, or with Bennet.

During her attack, Claire remarked that she felt no pain. Afterwards she spends the episode in a state of shock, unable to feel anything and wondering what that means. As she's mentioned, she felt pain, even if it was momentary as the wounds quickly healed. The shutting down of her nerves could be psychological, but maybe Sylar, knowing how the brain operates, flipped a switch inside her brain to turn it off as a way of further manipulation, or to keep her from screaming.

Tracy's story begins to take shape with the obvious follow up of her resembling Niki. Nathan mentions it and in a nice call back, the investigating journalist uncovered the surveillance footage of Jessica and Nathan as well as Niki's website. While we've been lead to assume they're the same person, Tracy freezing the journalist is enough proof for us to assume that they are two different people. The two main theories are that either Tracy is the real Jessica, who didn't die as believed and has a power and multiple personalities like her sister or that Tracy is a clone. I'd rather believe the former, as the latter may be rejected by the audience as a little too much.

With his resources, Hiro identifies the Speedster as Daphne, a woman living in Paris with a lot of expensive junk and no place to put it. Hiro's plan to trade one of her prized medals for the formula reveals the rift beginning between himself and Ando. Of course, seeing a vision of your friend electrocuting you is going to lead to some awkwardness. While it may be easy to say Hiro isn't being fair, the extremity of the vision is enough to explain it. It doesn't justify telling Ando that he went bad. The scene is clearly ambiguous as to which one turned, but Hiro can't be unbiased.

However, Hiro still stands by his friend when Daphne threatens Ando at knifepoint, knowing he has a way around Daphne's super speed making her difficult to locate. Hiro's smart enough to place a tracking device on it, leading them to her location somewhere in Germany. There are plenty of intriguing elements to this, such as who is Daphne's boss, does he/she have the other half and why are they interested in getting it (not to mention Why Germany?)

If the premiere is an indicator, Angela is going to be a huge player in this volume (Cristine Rose has been promoted to series regular). All the major threats so far have stemmed from what Angela and her eleven associates did thirty years prior, but this time Angela's taking a more active role earlier in the game. She finally reveals her power: precognitive dreaming which was Peter's first absorbed power, and makes a power play by trying to put Sylar under her thumb.

Angela's dream is rather graphic, a return to the more grisly imagery of the series' early episodes, where all our heroes are torn apart so much so that not even Peter can recover. In it the rogue gallery includes Knox, an awake Maury Parkman, an unburied Adam and an undetermined character played by Ali Larter. Since both major villains from season two weren't killed off, they must've computed that in anticipation for this.

An interesting theory stemming from Maury's cameo is that he is influencing Nathan by showing Linderman to him only. It shouldn't be a big surprise that Linderman has been an illusion all along, but why and how considering when we last saw him? The Maury theory may be the strongest to date, but it still doesn't explain how Nathan was able to heal from who should've been two fatal gunshot wounds.

There are some questions about Peter's predicament in Jesse's body that will likely be answered soon. What happened to the real Jesse? Did he get "hollowed out" and Peter was thrown in? Do Peter's powers still work and is he collecting the powers of the escapees with him?

There is one major problem with the rogue gallery: "The German" who can control magnetic fields. Seriously? I'm admittedly not well-versed in comics but even I know that's obviously too close to X-Men's Magneto.

And why did they let the pyrokinetic guy burn a woman to death not two yards away from the gas pump? One flame gets too close and they get in the worst gas pump explosion since Zoolander.

The other problem I have is with the reveal that Angela is Sylar's real mother. The secret twist familial relationship has been done so many times, especially in soaps, that for it not to induce eye rolling they need to earn it. A great recent example of one that did is the first season of Dexter, which used a shocking family connection effectively since it was hinted at and alluded to throughout the first season and makes sense when rewatching those episodes. This almost sounds like fan fiction. However, they could easily make up for that shortcoming, like if this is Angela's attempt to manipulate Sylar, since physical torture isn't going to do much now.

Bennet ends the episode with a new mission: to bag and tag the eleven other escapees again. Unfortunately Bennet had little to do in this premiere, which is strange considering he's one of the series' best assets. However, Bennet is on a mission and out to punish someone who hurt Claire, and when is that not entertaining?

Regardless of the nitpicks, this premiere was a solid effort and this one improved upon the first hour. Yes there are plenty of plot holes (as I've mentioned), but this felt as fun as an average first season episode and that's a good indicator. The ratings, unfortunately, were down, but if the episodes maintain and eventually improve on this quality, Heroes could get its buzz back.
  • The new season starts very well and altough somethings just don't make sense, screw it, it's Heroes!

First of let me say that this review is for both episodes (The Second Coming and The Butterfly Effect), because I've seen them together so is hard to think of them apart.

Let's recap: 'Future' Peter came back to the past to shoot his own brother to stop him from telling the world that there is ordinary people with extraordinary abilities, or something like that. Wouldn't it be easier to come back let's say 15 minutes earlier, before the press conference, and just explain to his brother why he shouldn't tell everyone he could fly, rather then trying to kill his own freaking brother? And how the hell did he manage to put 'present' Peter inside that other dude? I mean I give you that 'future' Peter is more powerful than God Himself, but shouldn't the 'present' Peter's abilities absorb all of his future power's and manage to not get stuck inside that guy that we conveniently 'don't wanna know what he is able to do'?

How about Lindeman? Back from the dead and haunting Nathan, who turned out to be a religious freak. How the hell a ghost (or Nathan's imagination, I'm not sure yet) could have cured him?

Meanwhile Sylar finally gets to Clair and brainrapes her to get her abilities. But after he let her live saying that she is special and she can't die... But I think that if he did a 'Will it blend?' skit with her head she would be very much dead!

Hiro get's himself and his sidekick in a mess for being a child about everything... again!
    And we found out that Hiro can't actually stop time just really slow it down to a point where that super-speed chick move around like a regular person. Oh my god! How a guy that helped save the world twice, including one time when he put a freaking sword trough one powerful son of a b**** could face a regular girl? Oh yeah... he gets punched in the face...
    Now, the thing that really bothers me is that although he can't actually stop time he can still reverse it! He was doing exactly that when Ando first came in to his office, he was playing back and forward with time just to get by the day! So why the hell didn't he just reversed the time when the formula was stolen to before he opened the safe?
    By the way... Dude! Did Ando just do a hadouken on Hiro?

Nikki... I mean Jessica... I mean Tracy... Tracy!? Who the hell is Tracy!? Apparently Ali Larter made a pact with the Devil and can't be cut off the show, so let's give her a brand new character with the brand new ability of freeze things (oh... Sylar could do that in the first season? Well, if you don't use it you loose it, so sorry Sylar, freezing is Ali's thing now). The only good thing about that crazy plot twist is that apparently Miccah was written off the show!

Sylar is revealed to be Angela's Petrelli son and therefore Peter and Nathan's brother. I guess that makes sense, he had to be part of the most dysfunctional family on TV to be that screw up. [cliché alert: who else thinks that at some point we will find out that Sylar and Peter are twins?]

Mohinder got laid and still found time to develop the 'super soldier serum' and of course he tries it on himself gaining the ability to turn himself into Jeff Goldblum in 'The Fly'.

Parkman is lost in the desert. Man, that guy is a huge douchebag.

And apparently Isaac Mendes is now black.
  • So we are back with another episode, and darker future then we had before.

So we are back with another episode, and darker future then we had before. Warning spoilers ahead. Last episode Mohinder injected himself with the serum he got from Maya, which gave him abilities. But what we find out about them this episode is that they are very different from what Maya has. It seems as if Mohinder has gone a bit mad with power from the get go, I hope that he doesn't, because he might have found the only way to reverse the powers. What I really want to know is who the heck Tracy is and why does she look exactly like Niki? Tracy seem's to have the power to freeze people, Niki never had that power. Mohinder seems to have some problems ahead of him as he starts to have some weird side effects. I was a bit happy to see that, because I think it will teach him that what he discovered is dangerous and he should work on finding a cure instead. I just hope whatever it is that is happening to him, he is able to survive. What was really strange to see was the present time Peter in the body of a very dangerous criminal, while the future Peter runs around messing things up worse than they were before. This episode really explains the name of this volume, as a whole ton of villains worse than Sylar are released on the world who were once contained. And at the end of the episode, we are given yet another huge shock, as Angela tell Sylar that she is his mother. I really enjoyed this episode, but it's almost as if there is not enough time in one episode to contain all the different side stories taking place. There are just so many unanswered questions, I think the best thing for this show would be to answer some of the questions and kill off some characters, as it is getting pretty hard to keep track of them all. Not only kill off some characters, but not bring them back as well.
  • A good episode but not a very enjoyable one.

A considerably weaker episode than 'Second Coming' but full of information and even a shocking revelation.

Claire's encounter with Sylar has a strange side-effect: she no longer feels pain. This didn't happen originally so it's not what made her scary-Claire from the future, something else obviously did that.

Angela has a disturbing vision: Hiro stabbed with his own sword, Matt, Peter, Claire being attacked and decapitated. Then a group, one can only assume an alliance of bad guys, Niki (or whoever she is now), Kensei, Parkman and a mysterious black man. Then Sylar comes up behind Angela.

Angela pays a visit to Future Peter who is doing the whole string-timeline thing that Hiro did. He's definitely not our Peter, both sarcastic and formal - 'mother'. Angela lectures Peter on his actions causing a 'butterfly effect' – he told Claire not to go to Odessa which led to her encounter with Sylar. Which confirms that Future Peter switched with Peter before he even got in the ambulance with Nathan, probably when he 'found' the hat and jacket in the bathroom.

Mohinder's powers don't end with super strength, he can defy gravity too! Not to mention sex mad! The Mohinder we know and love is gone without a trace. He learns the side-effect of his untested serum – horrific lesions.

Bob and Elle review a tape of their agents going after Sylar, didn't end well. To say that Bob is an awful father is such an understatement! He uses emotional abuse as his weapon to control Elle and she allows it, he dominates her completely.

I always loved the friendship between Hiro and Ando, and it's terrible to see Hiro being paranoid around Ando. Daphne seems to be quite the thief – what looks suspiciously like the Mona Lisa, golden Egyptian statues etc. Hiro finally tells Ando about his future self.

Finally get a name for both Niki and her mystery politician: her name is 'Tracy Strauss' and he's Governor Malden. Is this really Niki? She's not acting like some temporary personality, she's acting like a real person and seems to have established herself with Malden. Malden tells her to contact Nathan, so we'll soon find out who she is. Then a reporter confronts Tracy with a photo of Niki. Nathan's reaction on seeing Tracy is hilarious! "Speaking of sin…" ; "The word 'biblically' comes to mind." According to Linderman, she really isn't Niki.

Claire goes all 'why am I here?' and tries to get hit by a train. She obviously does mean a lot to Peter because he (literally) swoops in to save her. Guess someone's feeling guilty. Claire's realized the obvious – she needs to learn to defend herself and who better than her uncle to teach her, he's stopped Sylar before. Peter refuses, having already changed the past.

Sylar arrives at the Company's facility and wastes no time – he takes Bob's power – turn objects into gold! Elle goes to the most obvious ally in the building – Bennet. Problem is: Sylar is now unstoppable. But seems Elle's power really is as unstable as it looks – Sylar's attempt to cut her head open releases an explosion! Peter (trapped inside prisoner 'Jesse's body) checks on Elle then escapes with the others. Elle's blast actually knocked Sylar out so he's a prisoner again. With Bob dead, Angela's in charge. A dozen prisoners escaped including Bennet. Elle's fired!

I would have thought that if anyone could tell this wasn't our Peter, it would be Nathan – he's Peter's best friend, not just his brother! Peter comes clean about shooting Nathan. After talking to Peter, Nathan takes the position of Junior Senator for New York. Linderman is invisible?! Is he dead? Or immortal like Claire and Kensei?

And moments later, the dogged reporter shows Tracy the tape of Niki/Jessica having sex with Nathan… which will explain a lot of Nathan's reaction to her. Any doubt that this isn't Niki is gone – she can control ice! And what's even more interesting – she obviously doesn't know about her powers! She's must be related to Niki somehow, this isn't just a resemblance, she's Special too. Sister, cousin?? Where's Niki?!

Poor Matt is in Africa! And he meets a guy who also paints the future and knows his name.

Bennet goes home to Claire but has a new mission – the prisoners who escaped. And he's assigning a surprise bodyguard – Claire's mother! Never thought we'd see her again, wonder how much they had to pay her to do it?

Future Peter comes to restore Peter only to find Sylar captured and 'Jesse' missing. Our Peter is running with an incredibly dangerous crowd who kill people for fun. Does he still have his powers or is he limited to the powers that Jesse has? Peter did leave a message for Nathan, hopefully Nathan gets it and does something!

Most shocking reveal? Angela is Sylar's mother!!! Which means he is either brother or half-brother to both Peter and Nathan!! Certainly explains why his mother didn't have powers when everyone else's parents did. It's obvious where this is going: "Brother vs Brother… it's almost biblical."

The biggest problem with this episode is that it doesn't really drive the 'future' storyline like the previous two seasons did. This episode feels isolated, more filling in gaps and characters than being important to the overall story. Plus, don't like where the stories are headed right now, there's not a single one that feels right. Hopefully this is early season teething problems and it will sort itself out.
  • One of the best Heroes episodes ever, in my book.

One of the best Heroes episodes ever, in my book.

I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and even afterwards when I kept saying to myself how good this premiere was. We got Future Peter, Future Ando, Future Hiro and Future Claire. We got new abilities and abilities we've seen before, only in a different way. We saw characters return, including Linderman, whose first line in the episode made me grin.

It had a lot of nods to the first season and I loved them. Heroes made a great return with this episode, tying up several storylines such as what Sylar does with the brains and some of the small things seen at the end of season two.
  • A Talking Turtle! Exactly why I watch Heroes.

Although Sylar was caught in this one, he killed off annoying whiny man and almost got the uber-irritating Elle too. Also: Who's his mummy? I cannot get enough of that woman. She is simply delicious in her evil role. So good that I think that if they join forces, the fans will never let them split ways again.

Finally - some decent exploration on the Sci-Fi angle. The Butterfly Effect will make fascinating viewing - especially after the dream of the future.

HRG is back! Need we say more?

Hiro and Ando are having difficulties in their relationship. Oh - like I care if Ando lives or dies.

Split personality as a politically powerful ice queen? Now *that* I can live with.

Mohinder's gratuitous sex scene was sad. And so was his whining about his new powers. Grow up. Clare's "if I can't feel anything am I still human" tosh was pathetic and underlines exactly why the writers behind her story line should be replaced (at the very least). sob sob, I'm immortal, sob sob. Pathetic.

And who can forget the promise of a talking turtle?
  • Getting better

Now this is what we wanted with the premiere. Every minute I was glued to my seat wanting more. With yet another city at stake I was really hoping for something more exciting to look forward to. Enter the Level 5 disaster. So far each of the escapees seem to be your average run of the mill baddies, but lets hope they can flesh out their back story in the coming weeks as they did with Sylar and Adam.

I do feel like some of the writing seems to be a little off though. Mohinder is a smart guy, yet here he is injecting himself, hoping to receive a power with which he'll avenge his father. For a scientist I just expect him to take his time with it rather than taking a huge risk.

Hiro's storyline seemed pretty cool at first, but I'm starting to have second thoughts. I originally liked the idea of including the Speedster girl, thinking they could make a pretty cool pair, relationship wise. However his whole 'Destiny' thing is getting out of hand and it sounds like the writers just threw something together for him to do.

Definitely a step up from the last episode, but I need to see a few more changes happen before I'm officially hooked on season three.
  • Heroes is back with a bang!

• Wow it just keeps getting more exciting

I just can't get enough of this show. It's incredible the amount of twists we have seen in it and season 3 opener is not the difference.I like Hiro's nemesis I think there will be and interesting story there. And Sylar is just the best I love him as a villian and now it seems he is part of the Petrelli clan. He is related to Peter , Nathan even Claire.I wonder how a familly reunion would turn out . All Petrellis at the table eating dinner , umm probably not to good cause Sylar would probably be trying to eat his realtives brains. Anyway I also was very surprised by Bob's death I didn't see that coming it was quiet a shock. We are introduced to a new hero in Africa who helps Matt. Angela steps in as the Company leader after the massive escape of villians from level 5 kicking out Elle along the way. I wonder how will Elle act next since everything she had and worked so hard for is taken away from her. We also see an evil future Ando , Claire's biological mother returning to the show , a lady who looks a lot like Nikki Saunders but with different powers and personality , an invisible Linderman,and Mohinder suffering from his powers side effects . We didn't see nothing about Micah and Monica , Adam or Molly but there will be time for that for sure. All in all it was a great start and a rollercoaster of emotions expects us this season !
  • One son, two son, three sons, more?

Well, this was a pretty revealing episode. It seems as though Mama Petrelli has been keeping pretty mum the last few seasons about her ability. The ability to see the future. It would have been more awesome if we didn't already have a junkie that could paint the future, however, her dreams are pretty detailed. Big shocker, we find out that Mama Petrelli has three sons one being Sylar. Awww I bet she's proud at how that one turned out. Anyway ... excellent twist there. Elle has never been my favorite character, too cocky and spoiled. She gets her life turned upside down when Syler kills her daddy and takes his Midus Touch power. She gets fired by the next in line. HAH ... Take that Elle. I love it that Elle is getting the boot and Mama Patrelli is taking over. Excellent touch, and terrific acting by Mama P. The only problem I have with the show thus far, is it seems to flip flop between how difficult it is to catch and hold Sylar, to incredibly lucky situations where he is captured. While Sylar isn't elusive, our happy scientist is, with his fly-like abilities that were created from the Maya injection juice. I think Mohinder is going to really freak us out this season. He's been so mild-mannered. I think we'll see him cut loose.Another absorbing episode, can't wait for next week!!!
  • To put a long story short: Too much, too fast. If that's all you need from this review, by all means move on.

5.5
    Before starting I should warn you that there are Season 3 spoilers (SPOILERS!) inside, so if you have yet to see Episodes 1 and 2 and don't want the surprises to be ruined, again, move on. Also, you should know that this is a review of both "The Second Coming" and "The Butterfly Effect," not just one or the other. Lazy, I know, but it saves me copying this all twice. Now don't get me wrong; the acting was still pretty good, the characters were still IC (For the most part) but there was too much going on too early in the new season, and it was all happening way too fast. In Season One and Two, the first few episodes told us who the characters were, where they were in their journey and gave us an idea of where they were headed. Now we already know who the characters are, so that's settled and since we start up again right after Nathan is shot, we pick up quickly how they're doing, but instead of just a few little pushes to where they're going, we are THRUST!

Example: Sylar. At the end of Season Two he regained his abilities after ridding himself of the Shanti Virus and in a feat of inexplicable speed arrives at the Bennett/Butler residence to take Claire's ability. (How does one get from New York City to Costa Verde, California in a couple of hours without teleportation or superspeed anyway?) Then, accelerated regeneration now his, he heads BACK to New York just as quickly, kills Bob and is finally knocked out by Elle. This all happens in two episodes; that's an hour and half, plus commercials. (Oh, and did I mention that when Elle knocked out Sylar she also accidentally allowed 12 of the most deadly 'special people' to escape the Company's prison? No? Didn't think so.) This whole thing ends with what should have been the ultimate bombshell of the third season, like Adam Monroe's true identity in Season Two, with Angela Petrelli speaking to an incarcerated Sylar. Angela: I can give you what all boys crave from their mothers: inspiration and guidance, comfort. Isn't that right, Gabriel? Sylar: My name is Sylar…and you are not my mother. Angela: But I am, dear. I am…

The whole reason the greatest surprise since "No, Luke, I am your father." was ruined was simply because there had been about twenty big surprises prior. With Nathan's shooter revealed, Ando possibly turning evil in the not too distant future (and shooting red lightning which I did think was very kickass), Mohinder injecting himself with a superpower serum, all the 'Villains' being released and the present Peter being trapped inside one of them, the impact of every other surprise was made almost meaningless. This isn't a soap opera where every scene has to end with a gasp from the audience. With 'Heroes' you got a chance to slow down a bit, especially at the beginning when everything was being set up. This felt like pressing the fast forward button. Okay, now that my main point is out there I'm going to lay down a few smaller ones and then let whoever is left reading this return to whatever it is they do on Tv.com. So Mohinder has artificially created superpowers now; good for him. One problem: It's totally out of character for him. You remember when I said that everyone was in character "for the most part"? Well, this was the little lesser part I was not referring to. As certain members of my family have pointed out, Mohinder's always been a straight arrow and without powers. In fact, my brother said that his being powerless was one of his endearing qualities, as powers would dilute his character. Well he was right, they certainly did that. This Mohinder was selfish, arrogant…and horny, which leads to my next point:

Maya. I figured since the end of S2 that she and the Doc would hook up, but not at all like they did here. Maya may be many things, and may be achin' in the love organ after Sylar's betrayal and Alejandro's death, but she never struck me as 'easy.' But in just one minute of talking to a super-powered Suresh, her clothes are off and they're doing the mattress mambo. I swore that had to be a dream, it was too unreal, but no. I mean, sure, it's good for the hormones, but if we wanted that we'd watch "Emmanuelle's Erotic Escapades" or "Dirty College Tramps 14: The Trampening" on PPV, not on a show we've come to look for something more than a 'Who cares about the characters' personalities? Let's just make 'em do it all night. It'd work for me.' attitude. It was just sad, like they'd run out of good writers even worse than last year and had to resort to steamy sex scenes to give the characters something to do. That reminds me, any idea what happened to Caitlin from S2? You know, the Irish girl who Peter fell in love with and accidentally left stranded in a dying future? That Caitlin? Huh, apparently no one in the studios does. How odd…

And now in closing, I'm done. I first watched 'Heroes on DVD the summer before S2 started and in a few weeks I was an avid fan. And until Episode 9 of S2, where everything went into poorly planned overdrive, I was glued to the TV there too. What we have before us now is not what we had been hoping to get back to after the Writer's Strike screwed us out of a good ending to S2/ What we have here is more of that aforementioned overdrive: Too much, too fast, and as much as it saddens me, it's the reason I can't watch any more of 'Heroes.' It was a fun ride with amazing powers that didn't destroy the storyline (cough, 'Smallville', cough, cough!), with characters that really could have been real people, and made their adventures so much more fantastic. But to do justice to that, I can't keep watching and see it devour itself like so many brains at a Sylar-Fest. Thank you, Mr. Kring and Mr. Loeb (and to the actors of my favourite guys: Mr. Lee, Mr. Oka and Mr. Quinto), and all the other people responsible for what I have been obsessed over for the past year. But oh well, life goes on sucking…and hey, there's always Superman. Always.
  • Thank you turtle, you saved my life. That was the best part, not that the episode itself wasn't great, but that part had me rolling. And ya know for a second I thought Matt was actually reading the turtles thoughts.

Angela has dreams of the future, visions of the future. Nathan see's dead people...maybe, possibly. There's something more happening with the virus thing from last season, though they don't go into to much detail. Future Peter is running around fixing things, messing things up, changing tons of stuff, putting Matt in Africa (for some reason) and shooting his brother. Peter Peter, the one from this time line, is in the body of a baddie thanks to...himself. We got a glimpse of Adam, with a slew of other villains, attacking some of our beloved heroes. Werid part, Nikki was among them...the villains that is. Speaking of Nik she thinks or is someone else (not to clear on that). Tracey, an ice princess. Literally. Can't wait to see how that is explained. I jumped back when she revealed her shiny new power, I mean where the heck did she get that?

New powers are going around, Mohinder through his own scientific skill pulled out a whopper of a power out of his...syringe. He's hulking out in a big way but it looks like there's going to be some side effects, no not a brand new smoking hot relationship with the always charming Maya, but some not so pleasant side effects. Hiro met his match but more importantly saw something very interesting, not only some serious badness going down in NYC (again) but Ando killing him with...get this a power! Courtesy of our friendly neighborhood cheerleader who, when she wasn't nearly getting run over by trains or trying to shoot Peter in the future, was getting her head sliced off by Sylar finally giving us a glimpse into what he actually does to peoples brains. Thanks goodness he doesn't eat them, that's disgusting. It still isn't exactly clear what he does but they'll get there I'm sure...it's not like they won't have time now. With Claire's power he can heal now but he will also live forever (unless there is something we don't know yet). At last count that's four now. Adam, Claire, Peter and now Sylar. Sidebar, loved the change in their dynamic. In the past when ever Sylar and Claire encountered one another it was very villain vs innocent unable to defend herself girl and while that's still the case, it's not all fear and tremendously dramatic backround music. They talked, they probably had what passes for a normal conversation by most standards, before and after he was poking around in her brain. And surprise, surprise he didn't kill her. Sylar may be a big time villain but the lad has brains too. No pun intended.

But the big whopper of the episode, the moment many of us had suspected for some time now has come. Our own suspicion inducing Angela Petrelli, mother to Nathan and Peter, is Sylar's biological mother. And you thought Peter and Nathan had some brotherly rivalry! I KNEW IT! Just let that role around in your head for awhile, Sylar is Peter's big brother. Sylar's is Claire's...uncle. Excellent twist, man is Peter going to lose it when he finds out. In a weird way it makes sense though, Peter and Sylar have similar powers. I've said it before and I'll say it again they are two sides of the same coin, guess that really applies now. Or if you look at it another way. Peter is like the ultimate example of what good people do with their powers, even if they start out with good intentions but mess things up by accident. Nathan is kind of like the grey area that each person with powers faces, mistakes they make, choices that they regret. And Sylar is like the ultimate in evil, wrong and bad these ordinary people with extraordinary abilities can be. The three paths each person with an ability has possibility to take, all in one horrible-y dysfunctional family. Excellent, excellent twist!

There's also one mysterious thing and though it's really only mentioned in passing I think it might have some big relevance, just going by a future episode title, what is this light that was mentioned? I want to know.

I missed the epic feel this show gives, even when it has an episode that's not all fantastic and wonderful it still works somehow.
  • A massive season opener.

I sat down to watch the new episodes with great antipation, hoping that we would be given some great new snippets of information to help bring it all together a bit more.

Unfortunately I was left wanting with nothing but a ridiculous pile of questions about what's going on. I couldn't help but feel that the story was a bit all of the place and asked too many questions is too many sections of the story for me to keep up with.

It may turn out that all the new developments are really intriguing but it just felt far to complicated for a season opener to me.

At the very least I hope this show doesn't turn into "The Young And The Restless" where the whole cast repeatedly dies and comes back to life seemingly without reason. This week just off the top of my head Nathan died/came back, Lindeman has returned from the dead, Sylar is apparently not dead (although I think we all expected that).

Either way I still love my Heroes and look foward to seeing where it's going to take us next.
  • Sylar launches an attack on the company, releasing many villains, Claire discovers something new about her powers, Tracy unearths a hidden secret, Hiro and Ando follow the speedster to Paris, while Mohinder reveals his new abilities to Maya.

In order of the most interesting storylines I would place Tracy's first, the company's second, Hiro's third, Claire's fourth and Mohinder's last.

Tracy's was the most interesting because, firstly, I found myself wondering who the hell this girl actually was, ('Is it Nikki? Nikki's split personality Jessica going by a new name? Or perhaps the witchy Gina?) which is always fun. Secondly Tracy displays an incredible power, freezing, similar to one of Sylar's many abilities which he lost in season 2, due to the effects of the Shanti virus.

The scene where she freezes the skanky reporter was amazing (the whole episode was worth watching just for that). With this character and her power, we will hopefully be able to witness many more of Tracy's ice attacks, which, so far, has been one of the greatest effects ever achieved on Heroes.

Next up there is Sylar's attack on the company.

The best thing about this storyline was that the great Kristen Bell made a brief appearance as Elle, and also that amazing ability of hers… Elle's character is the most human, I find, with a very interesting back-story that explains why she is the way she is. Let's hope that she returns later on in the series, she's such a great character.

After killing Elle's father, Sylar attacks Noah and then tries to steal Elle's ability; the pain sends Elle's ability spiralling out of control, unleashing a powerful electrical shockwave knocking out Sylar and disabling the power grid on Level 5, letting the villains loose…

The whole of this scene was very short, quick and snappy.This is what made it work so well, less is more. The whole sequence lasted for no less than a couple of minutes, in which I was transfixed to the screen.

After Elle releases a burst of electricity, the camera pans to a dramatic close up of her face, full of panic and confusion, Elle looks helplessly on as the Villains flee, the alarm booming in her ears…This scene was superbly acted and atmospheric, setting the events for the main story ark of Volume 3 in motion.

A couple of moments later we are in Paris with Ando and Hiro. As usual their storyline was fun and full of great humour, providing us with a more relaxing, lighthearted story amidst all the chaos of this episode.

Meanwhile, Claire has dicovered that she can't feel pain after her attack, allowing us to have a snippet of that brilliant Shankar, in a scene where Claire emotionally declares to Sandra that 'pain was the only thing that made her feel human'. This extent of her ability is an interesting development, opening many doors for her character, who can now do almost anything…and let's not forget the most welcomed return of Meredith. It was a great disappointment that we only got to see Claire's Biological Mother for only two episodes in Season 1, she was such a intriguing character. Bringing her back was a great decision.

Lastly we come to the least entertaining story, Mohinder's, in which he begins to mutate. Hmmm…remind you of anything, a crazy scientist tries out his latest invention and his skin starts to drop off…this a complete rip off of 'The Fly' and is painfully ridiculous.

Well, all things considered, 'The Butterfly Effect' has been a very good episode, apart from Mohinder's obscene storyline. This, however, is the one and only bad side of 'The Butterfly Effect'.
  • Better than the first.

This episode was definetely better than the first but there is a long way till it gets like the first episodes of heroes, i think somewhere along the second season they got kinda lost and the episodes stopped being so great like they were before.
    That whole Claire/Sylar scene was not necessarie since we all know he is scary and likes to pray on people like that.
    Im hating the whole Mohynder story, and i always hated Maya, so they both together makes me very irritated.
    I'm glad there are new "heroes", and i loved that bold guy from Veronica Mars, must be fun for him and Kristin Bell to work together again.
    Hoping better eppys.