Heroes

The Butterfly Effect

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Sep 22, 2008 on NBC

• Any Hero with the gift of creativity to help this show go back to glory days?

This review is about both premiere episodes.

First season was so refreshing.. almost perfect (till the finale anyway). I guess this is how far the creators of this show could go.
    I honestly hope I am wrong but I see no future in Heroes anymore. Same ol'same dejavu situations. An indication that the writers have no good ideas is that they simply dunno what to do with the show except recycling the same ideas with a different wrapping.

They added a bit of more grossines effects to spice things up but I am afraid the stories, the characterization and the dialogues so far are AWFUL.
    This show is almost dead. Watching it is frustrating.
    I will watch episode 3 as well..but if things wont improve I am over with it. A good step forward would be to get rid of Mohinder, since season 2 he was turned into the most annoying tv character. And put Sylar out of his misery..a wonderfull villain suffering from poor writing for more than one season now..
  • Nice improvement over the premiere.

I liked this episode, but there were certain plot points that are still really weak. Especially Hiro's "quest" or whatever. It's just not intriguing at all. Same goes for Mohinder. How can such a smart man be so friggin STUPID????

Ok, but lets put that aside, it was a good episode. Loved the start, the way the villains escaped was brilliant, really suspensful. I really liked Elle this episode , but what a shame they killed Bob. ALREADY! Bascially with him, season 2 died. Season 2 is now basically non existant, and you can ignore it. One thing I'm glad about is how they tricked us into thinking Linderman's back. I was happy that he turned out to be a vision for Nathan. Speaking of which.. Nikki.. or Tracey... whatever.... wow. So I didn't see that ice thingy coming and it was disturbing. However, It's getting really annoying that everyone seems to have powers. It's just not special anymore.

Claire... /ignore . Not much happened. Her mother just can't excite me.

Noah... hell yea. I can't wait to see him kick some villain butt. The ending, I can't say much. If Angela is really Sylar's mother, then, none can deny that a big part of Heroes is soap opera.

Overall,

+ Elle
    + Noah
    + Level 5
    + Peter/Jessie twist

- Hiro
    - Claire
    - Mohinder
  • I hope the rest of this season is better than this episode.

I feel that the season premiere could have been better if so many things were not crammed into it. This show is starting to remind me of Lost. It is posing too many questions and not offering enough answers. Maybe the writers are trying to make up for the shortened season last year but I don't feel this is the way to go. Characters popped up with new powers which they didn't even possess in the previous two seasons. Some characters were acting totally out of character. I am hoping that all the things will be explained that were revealed in this episode. Sylar has become a very corny villain. I will continue to watch this season to see if this season can be saved but I really have my doubts.
  • While Part 1 of this third season premiere left me excited and amped for more, in no way did I expect the heightened intensity and shocking reveals of The Butterfly Effect.

WARNING: Spoilers contained within

While Part 1 of this third season premiere left me excited and amped for more, in no way did I expect the heightened intensity and shocking reveals of The Butterfly Effect. This episode gives us an even greater feel as to what this season will be about and who the key players will be. Volume 1 gave us the bomb and Volume 2 threatened the world with a deadly virus. Volume 3 takes the danger and complexity to a whole new level. Not only do we have the mysterious formula Hiro is trying to protect, but the added elements of the deadly escaped villains and Mohinder's discovery raise the tension to an unprecedented level for Heroes. Add to that mix future Peter's involvement and present Peter's plight and you have the perfect recipe for a season that is going to be mind blowing to say the least. Zachary Quinto (Sylar) is absolutely fantastic in these first two episodes bringing even more depth to this frightening yet captivating character. At the end of the episode we are left with the most shocking Heroes revelation yet, and it just might change everything we ever thought about Sylar and the direction of the whole series. If Angela is telling the truth (and I have no reason to believe she's not), then I am anticipating a good twin/bad twin scenario between Peter and Sylar with implications that I can't even begin to comprehend. There are also numerous other developments that once again left me wide-eyed. We still know nothing about Tracy Strauss, but her ability is really, really cool (haha). This whole Nathan and Linderman thing has a Hurly/ Dave sort of feel to it, and I'm really not sure what to make of it yet. Its obvious Nathan is imagining Linderman in his head, but why? We know Linderman is dead, but really..Has that ever mattered in this show before? I loved the scene where Sylar helps the villains escape and especially his confrontation with Elle. Poor, poor Elle. I am totally bummed that Bob is gone and I always felt his character brought so much to the show. Present Peter is now stuck in a villain's body and who knows what kind of craziness this will lead to in coming weeks. Hiro and Ando's relationship is suffering because of Hiro's short jaunt to the future where he witnessed future Ando strike future Hiro dead with red lightning. CRAZY!! I cannot wait to see where this story takes us. And let's not forget Matt Parkman who has been wandering aimlessly around Africa of all places. Matt's new acquaintance seems to be another painter of the future (like Isaac Mendez) and his introduction is both hilarious and eye-opening. Two episodes in and I already feel like Season 3 has given us more action, suspense, mystery, conspiracy, and character development than Season 2 ever dreamed of. Part 1 of this premiere exceeded my expectations, but Part 2 absolutely floored me. Two down and eleven to go before we reach the end of Volume 3. I can't even begin to imagine the insanity that awaits us with each new chapter. Monday can not come soon enough…
  • Villians on Level Five are released. Starring: Jack Coleman, Greg Grunberg, Ali Larter, James Kyson Lee, Masi Oka, Hayden Panettiere, Adrian Pasdar, Zachary Quinto, Sendhil Ramamurthy, Christine Rose, and Milo Ventimiglia. Special Guest Star Kristen Bell

One of the top episodes of the series. This was the second part to the premire episode. I really enjoyed the episode, and it was much better than the first part of the episode. I really loved that Elle (special guest star Kristen Bell) came back into this episode, and man does she have a lot more power than any of us actually realized. (Kristen please come back in regular status!) Hiro (Masi Oka) and Ando (James Kyson Lee) going to Paris to stop Daphne (guest star Brea Grant) could maybe have done a little bit better, but a good job. Matt (Greg Grunberg) being stuck somewhere in Africa isn't a good storyline and i hope it gets resolved faster than Hiro in Japan did. The return of Meredith (guest star Jessalyn Gilsig) was awesome, and a great moment for HRG (Jack Coleman), Lyle (guest star Randall Bentley), Sandra (guest star Ashley Crow), and Claire (Hayden Panettiere). Now i only wonder what happened to Niki (Ali Larter), Micah (Noah Gray-Cabey), and Monica (Dana Davis)? I know that Tracy (Ali Larter) is here, but is she another Jessica or Gina?
  • Freakin' sweet!

A whole lot better than "The Second Coming" which makes it all the better. More action, more powers, more excitement - I love it! But did we need a Maya/Mohinder sex scene? Very un-Heroes, anyway...

I do not get the ratings struggle - if you call yourself a proper fan of a show but give up after 11 episodes because the storylines were not up to stracth is pathetic. Just ignore Season 2 just like how many "fans" ignore Season 3 of Prison Break and Season 2 of Desperate Housewives?? I know or Season 7 of Friends. It's just beyond me how people can be so critical - it was only 11 episodes of Season 2 and the criticism of Season 3 I don't get.
  • Exactly what we've been waiting for!

Bejaysus, wasn't that episode exhausting?! I'm too tired to write up a full review so here are a few snippets:

~ Firstly, Maya is officially the hottest Hero on the show. She was absolutely stunning in the opening moments of the episode. Phwoar!

~ What a tantalizing, grisly dream sequence from mamma Petrelli. Seeing a skewered Hiro and a decapitated Claire sent a chill down my spine. It was masterfully handled and genuinely chilling.

~ Mohinder's scenes were unintentionally hilarious. A useless character given some cool abilities. Let's hope they mix and create a half-way interesting character in the future, eh?

~ Hurray! Elle is back! I really enjoyed her little dark phoenix outburst. So, she really can stop Sylar. Interesting.

~ ROFL @ the video footage of Sylar taking down two detectives!

~ There were quite a number of powers on display this episode, the budget must have been a big one. A wonderful FX shot of Peter saving Claire from becoming mashed patatos.

~ The biggest WTF moment had to be Tracey's shocking ability. It looked fantastic and there were definite shades of T2 here, I could almost here the same score during these scenes.

~ Hiro's storyline didn't quite click for me here, although his scenes with Ando, and their references galore, as always, proved to be entertaining.

So, this was one wicked episode! It seemed to throw everything but the kitchen sink into one jam-packed hour! While the ending may not convince, this is the kind of stuff we've been waiting for from this series for two years now! Bring on the next episode!
  • Not the best Heroes episode I've seen, but definitely better than the entire season 2 combined.

In this second hour of the premiere, the stage has been set for what seems to be a pretty good season. Meredith comes back, level 5 villains breakout, and Angela reveals that she's Sylar's real mother. Ok, on with my critique:

Saves the day (pros):
    I really enjoy the fact that Hiro has came back to his comic-relief roots, and to be frank, he is hands down the best character in the series. Moreover, I enjoy seeing the conflict Present Peter is facing inside a level 5 prisoner's body. With such conflicts, the show can truly be smart fun again. Also, Sylar has became an awesome villain again and newcomers Daphne and Tracy have really set the bar high on new characters. Also, Mohinder's new powers are trippy and its fun to see a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde style backstory on his character. Finally, there's no West in sight, which is just awesome.

Ruins the Party (cons):
    Some scenes were a little too weird, such as when Matt is in Africa and thinks a turtle is talking to him (?). There's also a little bit of ambiguities, such as how HRG landed on Level 5 or if Future Peter really is an anti-hero or a villain. Finally, I have no idea how the writers came up with the line "You should've gotten Sprint." All in all though, just because this episode was not as good as Season 1 does not mean it is worse than season two. So despite it's flaws...

Bottom Line:
    I'm honored to say Heroes is back in business.
  • The Peters are starting to get to be a little bit confusing, don't you think?

"The Butterfly Effect" was good, but falters slightly from the episode preceeding it. Hiro devises a plan with Ando to get the half of the paper back, Sylar takes a visit to Level 5 (and gets more than he bargained for), Mohinder finds that his superpowers may not be good, and Tracy (who was Nikki/Jessica) makes a deal with Nathan.

The episode slows down a bit from the first hour. Although this may be true, I don't doubt for a second that this season will be amazing. Unfortunately, the creators have made a bad decision to bring a new character (Jesse) into the picture, but its a good thing his character is very low key at the moment. I look forward to the rest of this action packed season.
  • Step on one butterfly today, kill hundreds of people in the future :)

Angela Petrelli enters the Company's basement floor 5, where she sees Hiro Nakamura with his sword through his heart, Matt Parkman with his throat slit, Knox pulling Claire Bennet's head off, and Noah Bennet and Peter Petrelli also killed. She then sees Adam Monroe, a woman resembling Niki Sanders and Tracy Strauss, and Maury Parkman, when Sylar puts his hand on Angela's shoulder from behind. Angela wakes up to realize this was a dream.

Claire Bennet realizes that she no longer feels pain when injured, which she felt was all that remained of her humanity. Claire films herself trying to be hit by a train, but Future Peter, masquerading as Present Peter, intervenes before the impact; he then says that she needs to be careful, but that he also has to be careful with what he says to her, and then teleports away.

Meanwhile, two Company agents, Bianca Karina and Gael Cruz, attempt to capture Sylar. One fires a taser at him. He recovers and kills them both with a small hand gesture.

Tracy enters Nathan's hospital room to offer him a seat on the Senate. Nathan believes that Tracy is Niki Sanders, but she insists that she is not. Tracy leaves, somewhat disturbed, and Linderman appears, confirming that Tracy is not Niki, and advising Nathan to accept Tracy's offer.

At the Company, Elle Bishop finds her father, Bob's body with his brain removed. She then lets Noah out of his cell on Level 5, giving him a gun and telling him that Sylar is in the building. As Noah steps out of the room, Elle is telekinetically thrown down the hall by Sylar, so Noah shoots him several times. However, Sylar regenerates and explains that he's already taken Claire's power. After Sylar flings Noah away, he attempts to take Elle's power by cutting her head open. Elle screams and releases a large electrical discharge that knocks Sylar out and allows the Level 5 prisoners to escape their electronically locked cells.

Future Peter explains to Nathan that he is actually from the future and came to the present to stop him from revealing their powers and prevent the future he came from. Nathan then decides to ask Future Peter if he should accept Tracy's offer, but Future Peter tells him only to make the decision himself. Nathan proceeds to call Tracy and accept her offer as Future Peter leaves.

Tracy, walking to her car in the parking garage, is confronted by a reporter, (cameo by "Hero" William Katt), who tries to blackmail her to get her to admit she is Niki, a stripper from Las Vegas. An angry Tracy grabs him, and her emotions trigger her ability of cryokinesis. She accidentally freezes him solid, and he shatters on the ground, dead. Tracy, horrified, flees the scene as the reporter melts down a storm drain.

Later, Nathan is playing a game of chess with Linderman when a nurse comes in to tell him it is time for lights out, and she comments that he can end a game of chess he's playing by himself. Linderman then reveals that only Nathan can see him.

Hiro and Ando travel to Daphne's apartment in Paris, looking for the formula that she stole. Hiro notices an award of Daphne's for a track meet from when she was young. When Daphne arrives, Hiro offers her the award, which he has now stolen from her, in exchange for the formula. Daphne pretends to agree to the trade, but then attempts to take both items. Hiro stops time, but she holds a knife to Ando's throat, since Ando cannot move, and starts to make a cut. Hiro allows her to get away with both items, but when time resumes, he explains to Ando about the tracking device he had slipped into the award. Ando, however, is notices his neck is bleeding, and is astonished that Hiro let him get hurt.

Maya returns to Mohinder's lab, and witnesses him hanging from the ceiling by his legs. She watches as he jumps down, unharmed, and climbs back up the wall, in an insect type of fashion, and after he explains his new powers, Maya expresses her excitement with the results of his new transformation. They then kiss passionately after Mohinder makes an uncharacteristically rash pass at her.

With Bob's death, Angela becomes the new head of the Company, and her first act is to implement some changes, starting with firing Elle. Noah Bennet, now released, returns to his home and finds Claire, alive. Though relieved to see her, he tells her that he can't stay at home because of the escaped villains and prepares to deal with them, shooting down Claire's offer to partner up. When Claire mentions the possibility of being attacked at home, Noah tells her that he had considered that; to make sure Claire stays safe at home, Noah and Sandra reveal their enlistment of the aid of none other than Meredith Gordon, Claire's biological mother, to protect the family in Noah's absence.

Future Peter teleports to Level 5, where Angela angrily informs him that the villains have escaped. Future Peter wonders how this happened different from his time, and also exclaims that he had trapped the present Peter in the body of one of the escaped villains specifically because this didn't occur in his timeline. Angela berates him about the butterfly Effect and blames him for the deviations he has caused from the future she has seen.

Peter Petrelli, trapped in the body of Jesse Murphy, is forced to accompany the other villains in order not to compromise his true identity. As Flint burns a man alive, and Knox punches a man to death, Peter is forced to watch helplessly.

Mohinder wakes up, next to Maya, and appears to be feeling unwell. He goes to the bathroom and washes his face, and we see a strange affliction to his skin, which appears to be forming amber-colored scales. He questions, "What's happening to me?", as this seems to be an effect of the injection he gave himself to give himself powers.

Angela Petrelli ends the episode by going into the cell Sylar occupies and offers him the comforts that a mother should provide for a child. Sylar denies that Angela is his mother, but Angela persists that she is.
  • Spider sense tingling!!!!

OK, I will try to keep spoilers at the minimum; Sylar gets a new power, Hiro looks for his nemesis, but at the same time struggle with the whole trust thing towards his friend Ando, Nathan gets a big offer now that he's on the spotlight again, and just take a look of who is the messenger, although looks are deceiving.

Park is still on the desert, and future Peter is still trying to sort the mess he made trying to avoid the other mess, that acording to his mom, he also made.

Mohinder gets the Spidey special, there are risk on injecting yourself with super powered genes, and guess what? "with great power...." ok, you get the idea.

We know that Sylar it's a powerful villain, specially on season one, but if he was on a Level Two floor on Primatech, what was on Level 5? We get the scoop today, and furthermore we see them escape...That should keep us busy for a while...

It's clear so far that there will definitely a lot of changes in our favorites characters, including change in faces, names , powers and even bands, oh yes, get ready, we might even see the Petrelly family get a little big bigger and even more dysfunctional.

So far so good, but still, to soon to tell.
  • Painting the future

Heroes' season opener was a scruffy dollop of paint. But in this second episode, writer and series creator Tim Kring gets out a straw and starts blowing threads of paint across the canvas. And in what delicious directions the paint flows: the reveal that /only/ Nathan Petrelli can see Linderman; the new Ali Larter character and her CGI-heavy power; the Hiro/Ando/Daphne tryst; the side effects of Mohinder’s drug; and the African encounter between Parkman and a future-painting shaman. Throw in the revelation that Sylar is actually a Petrelli (he does look like the brothers) and suddenly the paint's colour becomes discernible.

Am I sold? Not quite yet. The writers have a lot of rebuilding ahead. And from what I caught of Heroes Unmasked, there's a chance they'll overdo the action and the effects and underdo the unravelling mystery. But I'm definitely looking forward to the next episode.
  • Nice Start to a season

I thought that this episode was a nice start to a new season and it has me looking forward to next weeks episode. This episode is setting up a lot of things for the rest of this season. i liked the Hiro and Ando storyline with them chasing Daphne, a new character who is a speedster. This looks like it will be a good storyline for the rest of the volume. I also liked the short introduction to the new characters who are the villains. It will be interesting seeing what they are able to do and if they can be stopped. I also enjoyed the new addition that was added to the Niki character. It seems like she has developed a new personality that has her own superpower. I can't wait to see what this will bring, along with the Mohinder storyline. Overall this episode was a great one and I can't wait to see the rest of the season.
  • Will the real bad guys stand up?

The Petrelli family just got a new member. I guess Sylar is going to be this family's black sheep. Can't wait to see what happens when he partners up with Claire's adopted Daddy. He doesn't look to thrilled. Maybe with his mother's love Sylar will be transformed in a hero. I'm not sure how long that would last, and even if I want it to last, but it might be nice to see Sylar struggle with being bad. Could you imagine dinner around that table. Sorry, niece Claire, didn't mean to take you pain away and cut off your head. I guess it's all good he didn't kill her.

I still anxiously awaiting the return of Adam. I love the for some reason (To be fair I'm not having much love for this new breed for section 5)

I wonder: who Sylar's bio daddy is? What is going to happen with Mohinder? I don't really like is new power or personality. I was excited for him to get a power, but I guess I was hoping for something that seemed to fit his scientific nature.
  • Good momentum, sloppy in the details.

The season premiere episodes have moved the overall plot along at a brisk pace, I'll give them that. Some of the things that happened in these episodes, like Sylar's confrontation with Claire, felt like the sorts of things that would normally be reserved for sweeps months.

While I applaud the show's creators for moving things along, I have a few gripes about the logic of the powers on display. Speedsters are horribly difficult to write properly, and it's no different here as the new French gamine Daphne inexplicably goes from frozen-in-place to moving at normal speed in Hiro's time-stop field. It's all about the reveal, I guess. Even worse is Future-Peter's negligent usage of his time-travel powers. He arrives at Level 5 after all the prisoners have escaped, and his reaction is what? "Oh noes, I need to fix this, but without using my time-travel powers?" If he really cared about the titular "Butterfly Effect," that would make sense, but he doesn't, and so we have a character with godlike powers and no restraint behaving in a way that makes no sense except in service to the plot. It's really, really hard to write stories about characters like Hiro and Peter, but I don't think it's too much to ask that anyone aspiring to add this kind of character to a story because of the "cool" factor be obligated to put in the mental gymnastics to *make*it*all*make*sense. Yeah, it's hard. Deal with it or don't use it. Geez.

OK, rant over.

But I'm willing to see where all this goes, and I did enjoy watching (most) of it.
  • Adventurous!

This episode is really great! It's full of action and plot twists, exactly how I like it!
    I love that Tracy storyline, it's really great! So, she has powers too, she can freeze.. well seems like she can freeze people! The scene when she killed that reporter is really great! And seems like Nathan and Tracy will be spending a lot of time together on the show, that's really great!
    So, the villains escaped. I loved the scene where Elle exploded with all that lightning! Those villains look awesome! That one with blue flames is really a psycho, he burned that women on the gas station just like that. The German seems to have a cool power. And Knox too! And poor Matt is in Africa! :) And present Peter is in Jess's body. Will he do anything to stop those villains or will he stay put so he doesn't blow up his cover? Hm.. :)
    And Angela is Sylar's mom! Wow! And yeah.. Mohinder has a really cool power!
    I can't wait for another episode! :)
  • Feels like Heroes is back! This episode had the same story and direction which made you to keep looking at the tv without moving an inch from your seats.

Feels like Heroes is back! This episode had the same story and direction which made you to keep looking at the tv without moving an inch from your seats. Never ever got this feeling while watching the season II episodes, and even the first episode of this season wasn't great. But this episode kind of changes it all. I feel the next few episodes are going to be good as with the introduction of four new baddies, things can only get exciting! I am glad the writers decided to get the story line back on track, instead of showing romances and what not as in the last season!
  • Review

Mohinder started off this episode with a bang, literally. I still think he is going to have the best storyline for this season. Just the fact that he has always been there as a support for our Heroes and now he has the powers he has always told everything that he was going to try and isolate and control. I sense Mohinder using his new-found power to become a villan. I don't think he will be able to control it and in the end I think he will met his match and fall victim to one of the good Heroes. Very interested to still see Future Peter around, didn't think he would last this long. Present Peter is now out with the rest of Level 5, which should provide for some interesting drama. It seems he can't use his powers when in the body of another person, maybe something that Future Peter picked up along the way somehwere. The twist at the end of the epsisode was bad, to be honest. Didn't like that Syler is now the brother of Nathan/Peter. It throws off the whole dynamic of the show, for me. It was a twist that wasn't needed for any reaosn. It doesn't enhance any relaitonship, in my eyes. And if Sylar turns good...bad storywriting. He's evil.
  • We find out who shot Nathan and the premise for series 3

We finally find out who shot Nathan Petrelli and I must admit it was surprise to me.

I've not given these first 2 episodes a 10 as some of the plot was a stretch but I'm banking on all the strings being brought together later on in the series - so a solid 9 will do for now. However, the new characters and their addition to the story is exciting. Can't wait to see exactly who turns out to be a villain. Even though we caught a glimpse of who may be the villains, I'm sure the writers have more up their sleeves on that score.

A good, solid start in my opinion.
  • Wow

Like I said in my review for episode 1, this was just too much to grasp, I want to watch it all again, I love how much actually happened. Obviously there were mostly new questions, beginnings of new storylines, and very few answers, but it will keep people watching the rest of the season, I hope there will be some resolutions and answers shortly though. I don't want this to become the new Lost with more questions than answers. One resolution or two within the next few episodes for people to stay on the edge of their seats but not feeling unsatisfied.
  • Mohinder-man Mohinder-man does whatever...

All right I don't know what Mohinder is morphing into after injecting himself with the Serum but at first it was spiderman but by the end your thinking that it could actually be Cronenberg's 'The Fly'. Serves himself right throwing caution to the wind - if he really wanted to win the Noble Prize he would have come up with a cure beforehand. You can tell I've been watching QI - sorry, I shouldn't be plugging other shows.

Sticking with Spiderman references you have Sylar walking down the street like that awful scene from Spiderman 3 as well. Unlike that spidey scene I actually found the reference very funny though.

With the speed that the first episode went this season we get a continuation of the pace and characterisation. This is good and the mood with Hiro back to his old cheery self and on an adventure to stop the spedster is great. I honestly miss Micah a little and with a Nicki Sanders lookalike about in the form of Tracey Strauss he is bound to show up sooner or later. With Nicki I don't know what's happening, maybe the explosion made manifest all her alter-egos but most likely that's not the case as Tracey Strauss seems to have been with President Sheridan, sorry I mean Governer Malden, for a while. Definitely creates something intriguing as we know she is literally an Ice Queen. I also like the fact that Nathan is back to working as he now has a grounding again but who didn't see the twist with Linderman. Matt Parkman becomes an interesting character again here as he treks across the desert (which he has been dumped in by future Peter) and we have the funny joke of him talking to a tortoise, well he thinks he is talking to the tortoise. Like Nathan this guy needs a bit of grounding, something he lost when he split from his job and his wife. Looks like the African desert might help.

We now have Level 5 bad guys escaped, I wonder if Peter will stop them somehow being trapped in one of their bodies. Also I literally cheered when Bob showed up dead. I disliked the character and the actor was in my opinion totally miscast, the only good thing that came from him is Elle. Don't like the final twist with Angela and Sylar though, please don't be true.
  • The first episode of the series wasn't exactly great but at least with this episode the third season turns a little bit more interesting.

So the first episode was kind of not that great. Future Peter makes a bonehead decision (probably better not to travel to the future? or use future storylines again) and shoots Nathan so he won't let their secret out. Now the one problem with this is that Peter has time travel abilities so why would he have to shoot Nathan? That's probably what the creators should have thought of before they made Peter Petrelli nearly invincible. Then there's Nathan who turns more spiritual and becomes a congressmen again and starts to pretend he's seeing Linderman. A talented villain wasted at the hand of one blow from D.L. To make matters worse, apparently Nikki is back as Traci who is an governor's assistant or something. Not really interesting, I think she should have been killed off last season. Bringing her back was not such a good idea. Then there's Super Mohinder who has a little thing with Maya and notices that he's beginning to change. I guess the Good doc made a bad decision? Claire's character gets more mature after having Sylar take her powers. Well HRG is pretty silent throughout the episode with very little to do which is kind of disappointing because Jack Coleman is a really good actor who deserves to be doing something better then this. So let's get back to the series shall we? Well apparently Sylar goes after Bob and tries to steal Elle's power and he does he gets a blast of lightning that knocks him out. Well the shock triggered a series of Heroes to escape from Level 5 and HRG tries to track them down. The episode ends with Sylar finding out that Mrs. Petrelli might be his real mother. I must admit that Heroes is in need of real writers, no Mr. Kring you aren't a really good writer and that's perhaps why this show seems to be suffering since it's Season 1 inception. I mean the idea in the beginning seemed good but by now shouldn't they be saving people instead of standing around and wasting time? The writing is poor and the drama is very week in the series, not to mention the action is very stale. Seriously one punch knockouts? This episode was interesting but Heroes still has a long way to dig out the hole they've set themselves in. The best thing at this point is hire a really good writer! and I'm sure the show will improve.
  • "The one that broke the camel's back". How do you mark as "unoriginal" a show that is about super beings? Congrats, Heroes has done it!

I love super-heroes. I love stories about them, the ideas, the hardship, the conflict...
    For about a season and a half (sans the obligatory "everyone survives" ending of S1, Heroes has been that lone exciting star of super-hero wonder.
    Some things didn't work from the start: Mohinder was painfully and frustratingly clean and boring, the series struggled with its direction but man oh man was it a find. Nathan was Peter Parker all over again; the cheerleader growing up in this cruel apocalypse, and Hiro... well, there was a winner if I ever saw one. Fast forward to season three. Mohinder is no longer boring, being a super villain... No wait, he is. So the fix didn't work either. The space-time continuum cunundrums are starting to pile up, and so are the cast. Nathan is so far from PP it hurts. I do like the evil version. Storylines are everywhere and are completely neutralising the characters. And the worst of all? OK, here goes: Pathos. Drama. Frown. Sob. Pathos. Frown. Squint. Pathos. Heroes has become a dark hole that I have no interest of entering any more. It has fallen prey to its own popularity; as I understand it, the idea was to realistically kill many of the characters still cluttering the airwaves today - because the public found them too popular. Well, welcome to paying of the price for it. We could have had two brutal, brilliant series with a bright future in the unknown. What we do have is a porridge sucking all excitement like quicksand. I really feel let down. RIP season three.
  • Ok so was it just me or did Mohinder turned into Seth Brundle fromDavid Cronenberg's movie The Fly from 1986?

Come ON!!! Anyone who has seen this movie MUST see the resemblance. First of all the look alike and they are both scientists who experimented on themselves. And OK, lets say these are both acceptable and NOT so unique situations. Many scientists have done that in movies or even, yes, in real life. And the fact they look SO much alike… the well trained mocha-shiny masculine body and the pitch black curly hair and the oriental chick bones and the black olive eyes …. OK lets say this is also a coincidence. BUT all the rest????? The fact that they had exactly the same effects AND side effects??? Seth was SUPER strong all of a sudden after he came out of the teleportation booth and so was Mohinder after he woke up. Seth was walking around his flat half naked with the same pair of soft pants like Mohinder's and he was walking and jumping on walls PLUS he was super horny all the time!!! Seth was crazy for sugar and Mohinder crazy for milk. Seth fought off some hoodlums with his new super powers and Mohinder did too. Then, when Seth's girlfriend found him climbing the ceiling (like Mohinder), he was talking fast and saying EXACTLY the same things Mohinder did. How better he can see, how STRONGER he is, how FASTER he is and so on. And then he grabbed her and they did … you know …. (exactly what Mohinder and the Mexican girl did) And later on when everything started going south and the side effects started kicking in, Seth started falling apart (literally) like a zombie. And there is a scene where he is standing in front of the bathroom mirror, removing gross pieces of flesh from his body, wandering what is happening to him! Exactly like the last scene with Mohinder … standing in front of the bathroom mirror removing pieces of flesh from his body wandering what was happening to him.
    I mean ok, everybody steals from other writers. EVERYBODY!!! But THIS, is preposterous!!! Come ON!!!
    Generally I enjoyed the first tow episodes. But this was too much to swallow. So just for the disgraceful theft I will give it a 6, otherwise it would get an easy 8.
  • NBC - Stop hyping stuff that turns out to be crap. Thanks.

5.5
    For all the waiting and all the excitement that was built around this premiere, the results were much lower than what I expected. The clip show was not even really a clip show and was pretty much a waste of time. The episodes themselves (both of which I'm reviewing here) introduced a lot of questions, which could potentially be good ... but half the stuff is just so dumb I don't even care enough to find out the answers. At this point, I wish I could just pick and choose between storylines so I'd only have to watch what happens to the characters I like.

We'll start with the worst - Parkman. Too bad the actor is all buddy-buddy with the creator or whatever, because the character needs to die. His storylines have always been crap, but somehow this season has outdone the past storylines and is even crappier. I think I'll start treating his scenes as commercials so I can walk away and get something to eat. I mean come on, a spiritual journey? That's worse than watching commercials. Stupid.

On to Hiro/Ando. Hiro used to have good storylines, but his blast to the past last year lasted way too long, and now he acted all dumb and lost some important formula and on top of that is all freaking out about Ando because he kills him in the future. Except it could be a shapeshifter. Or he could have just stunned and not killed Hiro. Or Hiro could actually be the bad guy and not Ando. But Hiro is retarded and doesn't think things like that through. He instead just acts dumb and makes his storyline boring.

Niki, or whatever she's called now, can randmoly freeze people. Great. Unless there's some really cool twist to what's going on with her I'm more than ready for her character to be gone too. But then again no one dies for good on Heroes so I don't think she'll ever go away. Claire on the other hand is someone I'd hate to see go away. The Sylar scene with her was great. Pretty intense stuff. The only dumb thing is that she randomly doesn't feel pain anymore and is being all annoying about it. Nathan/Linderman - what? Again, no one on Heroes ever dies for good apparently, which is a really bad move because it makes it pretty much impossible to feel sad when a character dies because they'll just be back again in the next episode. Lame. So yeah, Linderman is not really dead, but sort of? And he saved Nathan. Great, another dumb storyline I wish I could skip.

Suresh and Maya. Maya is getting less annoying, and actually making sense, while Suresh has passed the point of being just retarded and is now just a waste of space (or airtime in this case I guess). I'd rather watch C-Span than this crap storyline. At least one storyline didn't disappont - HRG/Angela. They always seem to have great storylines and are always in good scenes. Angela is by far my favorite character on the show, and I love how she's so bad-***. They did a bad job revealing her power though, they should have made a bigger deal of it. It's cool though that she's still so vulnerable, but never gets scared. I love when she told Elle to go get a new life. Awesome. And she's Sylar's mom?! What?! Oh and HRG - also awesome as always. But he's gonna be paired with Sylar? Hmm...that's the only thing keeping me interested in the show so I guess I'll be back next week to find out how that all goes down.
  • Future Peter realizes he did more damage that he thought to the present. Claire deals with the aftermath of Sylar's attack. Tracy is visited by a reporter who claims he knows something about her past. Mohinder gets closer to Maya but has more concerns.

The title of the second chapter is full of meaning. The term ''butterfly effect'' has to do with a consequence that happens three years later for something you have done now. More specifically a butterfly's flappig of its wings could result in a whirlwind in the future.
    Sylar leaves from the Bennets and heads to the Company to collect more powers. Elle figures a plan to take down Sylar but she arrives too late as her father ends up dead by Sylar. Elle frees Noah to help her with Sylar. Sylar attacks her and Noah. In an attempt to kill Elle she has an electrical outburst and frees all 12 prisonerz in Level 5 while she knocks down Sylar. Noah puts Sylar in the cell while Elle is fired from the Company by the new head; Angela Petrelli. Angela takes some dangerous measures for the greater good; she reveals a deadly secret to Sylar.
    Claire deals with the fact that she can't feel pain anymore and attempts to stand before a running train to see if she can be killed. At that moment, Future Peter flies and saves Claire. Claire asks Peter to teach her how to use her ability offensively but he refuses and leaves. Returning home, she finds her father who has returned only for a while. He tells her he has to go away again because a group of dangerous superpower villains has escaped from Level 5 of the Company and he is the only one who can bring them back (we see some of the villains in this episode and Noah explains their abilities). In return, Noah introduces the person who will protect them if there is another unexpected visit; her biological mother Meredith Gordon (that we met in Chapter 14: Unexpected of volume 1).
    Future Peter is visited by Angela who explains to him that his visit to the present has dire consequences. Nathan's shot had as a consequence Sylar's attack to Claire (and thus the thing our Heroes tried to avoid the most; Sylar to gain Claire's regenerative power). When Peter visits Claire he witnesses her pain by himself. Trying to fix what he has done, he goes to Level 5 in the Company to save Peter but he is told that they have escaped.
    Hiro is still on his mission to retrieve the part pf the formula stolen by Daphne --the speedster-- and together with Ando they go to Paris. There, Hiro reveals to Ando the dark future he visited in the last chapter and how Ando killed Hiro. Meanwhile, Hiro tries to negotiate with Daphne but with not much luck. Daphne takes off to Berlin, Germany to retrieve the second part of the formula and Hiro has a tracker on her.
    Matt is in the desert and is rescued by a man. He tells him he is in Africa and that Matt has a spirit walk to go through before he returns to USA.
    Tracy convinces the Governor to count Nathan as the new Senator. She visits Nathan and after an intervention by Linderman and future Peter (who revealed his true identity) Nathan accepts Tracy's offer. Meanwhile, a reporter faces Tracy and reveals he has secrets about Tracy. Appearantly he has found a website with someone looking like her (Niki's stripping website seen in chapter 1: In his own image of volume 1) and a video of her and Nathan having sex (seen in chapter 4: collision of volume 1). In a moment of panic, Tracy exhibits her power of freezing and freezes the report who is shattered. Mohinder has tested his new formula and recognizes many differences. He has strength, stamina, speed and he is able to walk on walls. Maya is fascinated by this discovery but still has her doubts. Mohinder and Maya come closer together. In the end however Mohinder realizes that this power may come with some unexpected consequences; a strange affliction to his skin.
    Overall an excellent episode which is put smoothly together with the previous chapter. Key facts: Tracy's power which proves she is not in fact Niki Sanders. Linderman turns out to be only visible to Nathan for some reason. Sylar has acquired one more power and Angela reveals his "true identity" which won't be confirmed until the very end of this volume. Enjoy!
  • A big step up from the last episode.

Well we learn a lot of things in this episode, it turns out Tracy isn't really Nikki, she really is Tracy. How would that work, I like her power too, amazing! Elle reprises her role which I didn't expect her doing, I like to see that peter still cares for Elle, when he goes over to her after she had a nervous breakdown with her powers. Nathan's plot was just annoying. Claire's plot was great & leaves a cliffhanger, her mother returns, Claire feels no pain! HRG returns. Matt is stuck in Africa, Ando & Hiro search for Daphne, I love her character by the way. Amazing episode! The Future Peter rocks!
  • OMG.......( spoilers)

This episode rly shows heroes is back on track.
    The best show ull ever see in ur life.
    I rly love this show cause it keeps u thinking thinking and thinking!!!!!
    Cant w8 for next week. I hope sylar stays bad ass as he is love his personality. And plz no more heroes the present heroes r enough. and the new power of niki rly suits her greatly. I rly also hope that jess will be a bad disaster to all as HRG said, cause he is in favorite character dept, PETER PETRELLIII!!!!!!!.
    CAnt w8 for the nxt episode cant!!! Heroes IS THE BEST.
  • Another awesome episode!

What a great start to the season, if this season continues like this i will a very happy man! I forgot to say in my last review how awesome it was when hiro had a look in the future and it did seem to be the end of the wolrd, it kooked fantastic! But this epi was awesome, mohinder has got spiderman abilities which looked great, we saw mamma petrelli power in use and tat was ace, sylar goes to level 5 to pick up some new abilities but has a bit of trouble, and peter is trapped in a villains body which the way they did that was amazin, hiro goes after dalpne which was really funny and great, and the cliffhanger was soo huge and aewsome it leaves u counting down the days till episode 3, and i cant wait cz it looks great as usual, so till then bye bye and heroes rocks.
  • wow

I have to go back and rewatch cause I feel like U missed some important details but I was into the whole thing it was amazing.. I missed about 15 minutes while i was cooking so I need to make sure that wasn't important information i needed to know. I just started watching heroes I am very intrigued and in awe with direction they are going in . I like the unpredictability going on. Not many shows still have and edge of mystery in the plot .This is a very cool show that will always have a cult following like every great show that really spins teh imagination into reality
< 1 2 3