Heroes

The Butterfly Effect

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Sep 22, 2008 on NBC

• Good momentum, sloppy in the details.

The season premiere episodes have moved the overall plot along at a brisk pace, I'll give them that. Some of the things that happened in these episodes, like Sylar's confrontation with Claire, felt like the sorts of things that would normally be reserved for sweeps months.

While I applaud the show's creators for moving things along, I have a few gripes about the logic of the powers on display. Speedsters are horribly difficult to write properly, and it's no different here as the new French gamine Daphne inexplicably goes from frozen-in-place to moving at normal speed in Hiro's time-stop field. It's all about the reveal, I guess. Even worse is Future-Peter's negligent usage of his time-travel powers. He arrives at Level 5 after all the prisoners have escaped, and his reaction is what? "Oh noes, I need to fix this, but without using my time-travel powers?" If he really cared about the titular "Butterfly Effect," that would make sense, but he doesn't, and so we have a character with godlike powers and no restraint behaving in a way that makes no sense except in service to the plot. It's really, really hard to write stories about characters like Hiro and Peter, but I don't think it's too much to ask that anyone aspiring to add this kind of character to a story because of the "cool" factor be obligated to put in the mental gymnastics to *make*it*all*make*sense. Yeah, it's hard. Deal with it or don't use it. Geez.

OK, rant over.

But I'm willing to see where all this goes, and I did enjoy watching (most) of it.