Heroes

The Butterfly Effect

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Sep 22, 2008 on NBC

• "The one that broke the camel's back". How do you mark as "unoriginal" a show that is about super beings? Congrats, Heroes has done it!

I love super-heroes. I love stories about them, the ideas, the hardship, the conflict...
    For about a season and a half (sans the obligatory "everyone survives" ending of S1, Heroes has been that lone exciting star of super-hero wonder.
    Some things didn't work from the start: Mohinder was painfully and frustratingly clean and boring, the series struggled with its direction but man oh man was it a find. Nathan was Peter Parker all over again; the cheerleader growing up in this cruel apocalypse, and Hiro... well, there was a winner if I ever saw one. Fast forward to season three. Mohinder is no longer boring, being a super villain... No wait, he is. So the fix didn't work either. The space-time continuum cunundrums are starting to pile up, and so are the cast. Nathan is so far from PP it hurts. I do like the evil version. Storylines are everywhere and are completely neutralising the characters. And the worst of all? OK, here goes: Pathos. Drama. Frown. Sob. Pathos. Frown. Squint. Pathos. Heroes has become a dark hole that I have no interest of entering any more. It has fallen prey to its own popularity; as I understand it, the idea was to realistically kill many of the characters still cluttering the airwaves today - because the public found them too popular. Well, welcome to paying of the price for it. We could have had two brutal, brilliant series with a bright future in the unknown. What we do have is a porridge sucking all excitement like quicksand. I really feel let down. RIP season three.