Heroes

The Eclipse: Part 1

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Nov 24, 2008 on NBC

Episode Fan Reviews page 2 of 2

• So in this episode we see definite sides form as it seems a battle is about to take place.

So in this episode we see definite sides form as it seems a battle is about to take place. Warning spoilers below.

And who else could be at the center of this battle? Well, none other than Claire Bennet, the cheerleader. What I just don't get is why is it always centered around the cheerleader, I guess it all started with "Save the cheerleader save the world" but why her. Maybe because she can never die? But neither could Adam. But I guess by the time people knew about him, he was already bad. Either way, we find out that Claire is wanted by both sides, which doesn't seem to help her out. I have to say, this episode brings up one of the most annoying things about Claire, her constant bickering that she could be more, and not be a victim. For crying out loud girl, wake up, it's so childish and annoying. At least the writers could stop making her character repeat the same wish wash crappy lines she always pulls up. We finally find out the significance of a long going part of the show, the eclipse. I was pretty happy to finally understand why this eclipse has long been a part of the name of the show, I mean it is always their behind the title and a lot of the time shows up during the show. But now we know why. What I couldn't understand is why Elle is trying to turn Sylar bad again, I guess it was possible, but why make him a killer? I guess Elle has always been bad, ever since her father used her for the company, and now that she is free of him, she wants to cause pain. What's crazy about this episode is that everyone loses their powers, and what was the hardest thing to watch was Claire jumping in front of a bullet when she didn't know her powers were gone for the time being as well. I liked the end of the episode, it leaves us watching as Sylar is about to be sniped by Noah, which was a pretty intense place to leave a great episode. I really liked this episode, for once everyone had no powers, and it was cool to see the paintings of the future coming true.
  • Something of a wasted opportunity.

Um. Don't eclipses last for like, seconds? Minutes? And er… how, exactly, can a total eclipse be seen in Kansas and Haiti at the same time? (Okay, I suppose you could argue that the time scales don't have to match up but come on…) Putting aside the scientific grumbles that will inevitably result from an episode like this, the first part of the big 'Eclipse' story is… well… a bit meh, really. 'It's Coming' promised something epic; 'The Eclipse' gives us a load of hot air. Great, so the heroes' abilities have disappeared. So, apparently, has the writers' ability to make them interesting. Elle and Sylar's 'dangerous' run around smacks of panic-induced padding on Coleite and Pokaski's part; needing to fill an extra five minutes with material that doesn't quicken the pace of the over-arching narrative. The Haitian's story comes entirely out of left field and falls entirely flat. The viewer is given nowhere near enough time to process the context of the situation: Nathan and Peter quite literally fall into the guy's fight with his brother (the ludicrously named Baron Samedi) while it's supposedly in full swing and yet we barely get to see any of it. Worse, Samedi doesn't even appear on screen and is merely referenced in off-the-cuff epithets about how much of a 'bad guy' he is. This is no way to 'sell' a threat, no way to build it into an exciting, suspenseful race against time to rescue the heroes from the villains. I found it difficult to give a jot about what the Haitian was up to, to be honest, and the Petrelli brothers' incessant pointless bickering only exacerbated matters. Ironically, it is Matt's virtual non-storyline that is the highlight of the episode, if only because it gets to showcase the delightful comic talents of Masi Oka and actually lends his relationship with Daphne, and her character, some much needed depth. Something of a wasted opportunity.
  • A good episode but just a stepping stone, putting the pieces in place.

Setting the stage for the next episode with the final part of the eclipse.

The last few episodes, they've returned to the old format, Mohinder doing the voice-over. Everyone's looking at the sky, just like the first time.

Arthur orders Sylar to go after Claire and Elle volunteers to be his partner. "Let's go get the cheerleader." Déjà vu. Arthur draws a disturbing image – Claire dead in Bennet's arms. Somehow the eclipse will take away Claire's power!

Angela has a grand plan and has all her pieces in play and of course, expects Claire to stay put, out of harm's way. Nathan's part is to get the Haitian and little brother wants to tag along. Without Peter's powers, he feels useless but still feels that drive that makes him the hero every time. And when has Nathan EVER been able to say no to his little brother? There is nothing I love more about Heroes than Nathan and Peter together!

Nathan and Peter actually get into a historic first: a fight! Nathan points out how he has been rescuing Peter his whole life, and Peter retaliates, Nathan is a puppet, every decision he's made has been Nathan living his father's life and dreams. In the future, Nathan will chose Arthur over Peter. Amazing how Nathan reverts to the old selfish Nathan when you take away the power that makes his life easier and important. "Can the universe get me a phone?!"

Finally Bennet offers to train Claire, about time! She taps into her anger and with training, she'd be very impressive. Sylar and Elle show up and everyone realizes the powers are gone so they do it the old fashioned way, leading to Claire being shot. It's not like Elle and Sylar can't figure out where they went – they went home! Bennet leaves and apparently her 'you always leave me' rant didn't sink in.

Hiro can be hilarious but this is one of the funniest – he starts throwing corn at Matt's head! Very sweet message – if you can't win the girl without your powers, you don't deserve her. Daphne's big secret isn't half as bad as she makes out, without her powers she can't walk. Is her self esteem that bad that she thinks Matt will care? Matt's got a huge, loving heart!

The Haitian has a brother whose skin is impenetrable. He's the local warlord and buddy of Arthur's, with orders to capture Nathan.

For intelligent people, barely any of them figure out that the eclipse is causing the loss of powers. It does bring some sanity, Elle and Sylar get off their power trip and finally kiss. Problem is, they're in the scope of Bennet's sniper rifle…

Though the loss of powers is a game-changer, this episode just sets the stage for part 2 and is not important in and of itself.
  • The Eclipse has arrived

Daphne had a crisis of faith and headed back home to her Kansas farmhouse, and Matt, Ando and Hiro spend most of the ep hiding in a corn field. Then she pouts in her room till we find out that without her powers she can barely walk. Tracy plots to, I don't know, do something evil? Something about contacts and getting Nathan into the White House. Sylar tries to earn brownie points with Arthur by going to grab Claire; who has some bonding time with her father. Noah tries to make her untouchable... Like that's ever gonna happen. Mohinder gets even more scaly and when he loses his powers, Peter and Nathan and goes in search of the Haitian.
  • Review.

A second eclipse causes all of the heroes to lose their abilities. Arthur sends Elle and Sylar to get Claire, who is shot by Elle and can't heal without her powers. Elsewhere, Peter and Nathan go in search of The Haitian, while Matt, Hiro and Ando follow Daphne to find out what she has been hiding. Not a bad episode I have seen worse, much worse. The Heroes loosing there powers could be good but I'm still not sure they might drag it out for too long and then it will be like what the hell Heroes should be called people. For now though its no big deal just hope it doesnt last to long. A good ending but I fear Elle dying in the next episode. Oh my god Seth Green is in heroes that was cool hope he has a cool story during the next couple of episodes. Plenty of action in this episod and it was fast paced but it was slightly dissapointing compared to last weeks episode.

All in all this was a decent episode which has plenty of action and a cool plot twist. I give it a 8.5 out of 10.
  • Only one story-line was kind of well written, and the chapter seems to be devolving into collection of melodramas. What gives?

On the surface, it appears that quite a bit happened in this episode of Heroes. Unfortunately, a closer look reveals that the storylines appear to be crumbling. My biggest fear is that at the end of this chapter nothing will really be settled, and the characters will be pretty much right back to where they were at the start of it. Let's look closer at the major story-lines this episode followed.

At the start we have the affair between Sylar and Elle. It is obvious that they are trying to write sexual tension between the two, but it comes off very weak. Elle's entire modus operandi appears to be schizoid: one minute she's just another good company (wo)man, and the next she retaliating; one minute she's lamenting turning Sylar back into a monster, the next she's hating his new "yes, sir!" attitude. Sylar is just as schizophrenic, and I'm starting to get quite annoyed. At some point the writers either have to reveal their plan for this pair, or else let them go, never to be seen again. There is a chance (albeit very small) that Noah will end this story-line, and due to it's back-and-forth, meandering nature this year, I almost welcome it.

We next have Claire. While once happy and longing to be just normal, she is really trying to take on the badge of a hero. Unfortunately, she's a very selfish and self-centered hero. When learning that her very important role is to "keep from getting caught" you almost feel that she's about to let out all of her pent up rage. The scene of her and Noah in Stephen Canfield's house was almost unbearable. Typical daddy issues, which didn't seem to be present even one season ago.

Nathan and Peter's argument is yet another example of melodramatic writing. Lost and stranded in Haiti, suddenly without powers, they get into a sibling spat!? Come on!

Probably the only bright spot is the interactions that occurred between Matt, Daphne, Hiro and Ando. While Matt's failed usage of his powers was a little bit corny (and I still don't understand what is so important about Daphne) there is a true human element occurring there. Add in Hiro's new-found innocence (but also a new-found wisdom), and we have the episode's highlights. The throwing of the corn was my favourite moment of the episode. In a forced irony (which isn't really an irony because it is so forced) we learn that in a previous life Daphne was nothing close to a Speedster, but Matt's love(?) for her does not falter. The comic store scene was a bit too much, and the fact that Hiro and Ando seem to have relied on the 9th Wonders! comics more and more makes Hiro's mentoring of Matt in the cornfield a little less believable (although Hiro did learn it from a Saturday Samurai Matinee Showdown, which is perfectly in keeping with his new ten-year-old persona).

I hope that the second part of "The Eclipse" brings more fluidity to the chapter, although the lack of fluidity appears to be a main thread throughout the series. Unfortunately, what will probably happen is that the second Noah fires his gun, the eclipse will pass, and all those with natural super-powers will get them back, Mohinder and others with artificial super-powers won't.
  • Been a heroes fan from the beginning but like the eclipse it's time to move on to bigger and better things.

I was really looking forward to this episode in order to get me hooked back into the series, but unfortunately I was let down. Now before the backlash starts remember this is just my personal humble opinion. I understand both sides of the fans - those whom think the show is going at a perfect pace, and those who think that the characters powers are developed too far.

I can honestly say i'm on neither of these sides, I think I was initially interested in the show because it was new and fresh on season 1, and really left you wondering what's going on or where are they taking me. It was more of a build up with an ultimate goal that needed to be achieved.

However, with this season there has been too much of the same thing for my personal taste of flashbacks, plot twists, cliffhangers, and so on. I do enjoy these but it's gotten to be a bit too much, for example the Elle / Skylar spin - first they are acting as the good guys for us to really get behind and then in the span of one sentence "bam" they are evil. Nothing really provoked them to turn, nothing really motivated them to say hey wait I hate everything i've been doing up till now. What's really gotten to me is how the heroes themselves are always outclassed, not by their powers but how they always seem to be soft and unwilling to step up to anything. Daphne's character for me comes to mind for this, she was a powerful nemesis but once she turns to the "good" side, the writers seem to just have her running and needing reassurance for every single thing she does. It's almost as if every hero we have is typecast into always wanting to hide so nothing can hurt them.

The only Hero i can find myself standing behind is the one without any powers what-so-ever - Ando. His character no matter what he seems to be up against is always right there ready to fight the good fight. Even in this episode he stepped up his game to get the Heroes off their coddled butts and DO something.

I'll probably stick thru to the end of the season and see if we as an audience are rewarded with some kind of epic battle, or answers. But realistically i'm not holding my breathe, I honestly feel that they will have another weak final battle as per in season 1 (sylars confrontation). If so then my question of should I keep the season pass on my DVR will be answered with a stern REMOVAL.
  • Our Heroes are Normal, For Now.

Well as normal as they can be. I think the results of this eclipse are going to be interesting. Suresh going back to the beginning before he got stupid. Gabriel and Elle finding themselves under at odds with each other and switching to being into each other. Peter and Nathan typical brothers whether they have their powers or not. I knew Daphne had a secret about her life before her powers and when she walked out, I honestly wasn't surprised. Hiro needs to grow up, this 10 year old Hiro is getting really old. Angela as always is watching out for her boys, Ms. Saunders better watch out for herself.
  • now they're just making fun of themselves.

the previous episode was pretty good - this one, well, a total disaster. it made absolute no sense for elle to suddenly become her old self, and it kinda neutralized her character aswell, killing all the development happened to her this season so far.

Nathan and Peter getting lost in the jungle or whatever made no friggin sense and was extremely dull.

Same for Matt and co waiting infront of Daphne's home for something to happen....

And same for every other storyline anyway. the slow mo they used during the scene Claire got shot was so.... amatuer, its incredible.

haha, this show is so crap. even though they have a good idea(the ECLIPSE) they execute it so badly, i dont even care for it now.

I got to admit...

I fastforwarded the last 10 minutes.
  • For the first time, I must agree with those who bad-mouth this show all the time.

From the corny revelation of the catalyst at the end of the last episode through the end of this episode and possibly beyond, Heroes has quickened the pace of its decline that so many others have seen and I have managed to thus far blind myself to. The catch for this episode is that all of the Heroes no longer have powers. Comically, they continue perform the actions associated with the use of their powers only to discover that the powers are gone. In at least one case, the power-user makes a fool of himself.
    The lack of powers leads to an extension of the idea first mentioned in the show by the African Future Painter. The Heroes must not rely on their powers to fulfill their goals and must hold on to their human aspects such as their intellect. In this instance, it was initiated by Hiro in yet another comic scene (it involves corn).
    Concerning future painting, it was well done in the first season with Isaac being the only one who can do it, especially since he was rarely directly involved with the paintings. He was like a third party (similar to a writer of the show) who, in a manner of speaking, controlled the actions of the other Heroes. Now, knowledge of the future seems to be a crutch that the writers use to force the story to move forward. 9th Wonder comics still appear and tell Hiro and Ando what to do. Has anybody wondered where all these 9th Wonder comics are coming from? I have my theories, but an episode review is not the place for them. In short, the comic books are too convenient.
    The coming of the eclipse and the mystery around its link to the powers was very poorly executed. It seems to me that at least one person in this episode foresaw the effects of the eclipse and took actions accordingly. Now, it's possible that this person was unaware of the extent to which the eclipse's effects spread, or some other internal notification prompted this character's actions. Despite these possibilities, I still find this part of the episode to be unacceptable (but that's just my opinion).
    At one point in the episode, conversation reveals that Peter is a nurse. What a blast from the past! Peter's a nurse? I don't remember him doing any of that stuff since Charles DeVeaux died. Congratulations Peter on your six months as a nurse followed by being immediately thrust into this nonsensical adventure of people with powers who are literally playing with people's lives for their own mysterious purposes. Who knows what these purposes are: perhaps they are nothing more than the cliched "I want to conquer the world" idea. The original selling point of the show was that these are regular people with super powers, but I can assure you that by the end of the first season they were no longer ordinary people. They had become superheroes without alter-egos who somehow manage to maintain some level of income by quarreling among themselves and mysteriously maintaining some kind of income.
    My final complaint pertains not only to this episode but the entire season. I understand that television shows will always advertise their show as being great, especially when past performance was so high. But the hype they built for "Villains" pretty much ruined it. The first few episodes and the premise were pretty well written but the rapid introduction and elimination of characters was infuriating to me as a viewer. Also (not pertaining to this specific episode), I can't stand the introduction of characters just for the sake of introducing them. What purpose did Maya honestly serve the storyline that warranted so much screen time. I apologize for this brief tangent. But more to the point, it feels to me as though the writers are incapable of creating compelling climaxes. The season one finale, was an all around disappointment to every fan I have met (in person). This supposedly climactic episode was laughable, literally. It was far more comic than dramatic, as stated above with each character's realization of their loss of power. This episode was shameful.
    On a brighter note, I must say that fans of Heroes who agree with all or part of what I have said should not give up on the show just yet. Like in real life, things can make a 180-degree turn at the flip of a switch (but sometimes it just takes a little bit of extra effort). It is possible that the writers of Heroes can bring the quality back to its former glory. It may take awhile, but it could happen. '24' (based on my opinion) had a terrible second and third season but almost immediately turned it around by the beginning of the fourth season mostly be resetting the story. The fourth season of '24' far exceeded my expectations and made me believe that it would continue to get better. The fifth season did not disappoint. What I am saying here is that given the chance, Heroes can make its way back to the top of the charts as long as the fans stay loyal and those guys behind the scenes give as much control to the viewer as they sometimes imply.
1 2 >