Heroes

The Eclipse: Part 1

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Nov 24, 2008 on NBC

• For the first time, I must agree with those who bad-mouth this show all the time.

From the corny revelation of the catalyst at the end of the last episode through the end of this episode and possibly beyond, Heroes has quickened the pace of its decline that so many others have seen and I have managed to thus far blind myself to. The catch for this episode is that all of the Heroes no longer have powers. Comically, they continue perform the actions associated with the use of their powers only to discover that the powers are gone. In at least one case, the power-user makes a fool of himself.
    The lack of powers leads to an extension of the idea first mentioned in the show by the African Future Painter. The Heroes must not rely on their powers to fulfill their goals and must hold on to their human aspects such as their intellect. In this instance, it was initiated by Hiro in yet another comic scene (it involves corn).
    Concerning future painting, it was well done in the first season with Isaac being the only one who can do it, especially since he was rarely directly involved with the paintings. He was like a third party (similar to a writer of the show) who, in a manner of speaking, controlled the actions of the other Heroes. Now, knowledge of the future seems to be a crutch that the writers use to force the story to move forward. 9th Wonder comics still appear and tell Hiro and Ando what to do. Has anybody wondered where all these 9th Wonder comics are coming from? I have my theories, but an episode review is not the place for them. In short, the comic books are too convenient.
    The coming of the eclipse and the mystery around its link to the powers was very poorly executed. It seems to me that at least one person in this episode foresaw the effects of the eclipse and took actions accordingly. Now, it's possible that this person was unaware of the extent to which the eclipse's effects spread, or some other internal notification prompted this character's actions. Despite these possibilities, I still find this part of the episode to be unacceptable (but that's just my opinion).
    At one point in the episode, conversation reveals that Peter is a nurse. What a blast from the past! Peter's a nurse? I don't remember him doing any of that stuff since Charles DeVeaux died. Congratulations Peter on your six months as a nurse followed by being immediately thrust into this nonsensical adventure of people with powers who are literally playing with people's lives for their own mysterious purposes. Who knows what these purposes are: perhaps they are nothing more than the cliched "I want to conquer the world" idea. The original selling point of the show was that these are regular people with super powers, but I can assure you that by the end of the first season they were no longer ordinary people. They had become superheroes without alter-egos who somehow manage to maintain some level of income by quarreling among themselves and mysteriously maintaining some kind of income.
    My final complaint pertains not only to this episode but the entire season. I understand that television shows will always advertise their show as being great, especially when past performance was so high. But the hype they built for "Villains" pretty much ruined it. The first few episodes and the premise were pretty well written but the rapid introduction and elimination of characters was infuriating to me as a viewer. Also (not pertaining to this specific episode), I can't stand the introduction of characters just for the sake of introducing them. What purpose did Maya honestly serve the storyline that warranted so much screen time. I apologize for this brief tangent. But more to the point, it feels to me as though the writers are incapable of creating compelling climaxes. The season one finale, was an all around disappointment to every fan I have met (in person). This supposedly climactic episode was laughable, literally. It was far more comic than dramatic, as stated above with each character's realization of their loss of power. This episode was shameful.
    On a brighter note, I must say that fans of Heroes who agree with all or part of what I have said should not give up on the show just yet. Like in real life, things can make a 180-degree turn at the flip of a switch (but sometimes it just takes a little bit of extra effort). It is possible that the writers of Heroes can bring the quality back to its former glory. It may take awhile, but it could happen. '24' (based on my opinion) had a terrible second and third season but almost immediately turned it around by the beginning of the fourth season mostly be resetting the story. The fourth season of '24' far exceeded my expectations and made me believe that it would continue to get better. The fifth season did not disappoint. What I am saying here is that given the chance, Heroes can make its way back to the top of the charts as long as the fans stay loyal and those guys behind the scenes give as much control to the viewer as they sometimes imply.
  • now they're just making fun of themselves.

the previous episode was pretty good - this one, well, a total disaster. it made absolute no sense for elle to suddenly become her old self, and it kinda neutralized her character aswell, killing all the development happened to her this season so far.

Nathan and Peter getting lost in the jungle or whatever made no friggin sense and was extremely dull.

Same for Matt and co waiting infront of Daphne's home for something to happen....

And same for every other storyline anyway. the slow mo they used during the scene Claire got shot was so.... amatuer, its incredible.

haha, this show is so crap. even though they have a good idea(the ECLIPSE) they execute it so badly, i dont even care for it now.

I got to admit...

I fastforwarded the last 10 minutes.
  • Our Heroes are Normal, For Now.

Well as normal as they can be. I think the results of this eclipse are going to be interesting. Suresh going back to the beginning before he got stupid. Gabriel and Elle finding themselves under at odds with each other and switching to being into each other. Peter and Nathan typical brothers whether they have their powers or not. I knew Daphne had a secret about her life before her powers and when she walked out, I honestly wasn't surprised. Hiro needs to grow up, this 10 year old Hiro is getting really old. Angela as always is watching out for her boys, Ms. Saunders better watch out for herself.
  • Been a heroes fan from the beginning but like the eclipse it's time to move on to bigger and better things.

I was really looking forward to this episode in order to get me hooked back into the series, but unfortunately I was let down. Now before the backlash starts remember this is just my personal humble opinion. I understand both sides of the fans - those whom think the show is going at a perfect pace, and those who think that the characters powers are developed too far.

I can honestly say i'm on neither of these sides, I think I was initially interested in the show because it was new and fresh on season 1, and really left you wondering what's going on or where are they taking me. It was more of a build up with an ultimate goal that needed to be achieved.

However, with this season there has been too much of the same thing for my personal taste of flashbacks, plot twists, cliffhangers, and so on. I do enjoy these but it's gotten to be a bit too much, for example the Elle / Skylar spin - first they are acting as the good guys for us to really get behind and then in the span of one sentence "bam" they are evil. Nothing really provoked them to turn, nothing really motivated them to say hey wait I hate everything i've been doing up till now. What's really gotten to me is how the heroes themselves are always outclassed, not by their powers but how they always seem to be soft and unwilling to step up to anything. Daphne's character for me comes to mind for this, she was a powerful nemesis but once she turns to the "good" side, the writers seem to just have her running and needing reassurance for every single thing she does. It's almost as if every hero we have is typecast into always wanting to hide so nothing can hurt them.

The only Hero i can find myself standing behind is the one without any powers what-so-ever - Ando. His character no matter what he seems to be up against is always right there ready to fight the good fight. Even in this episode he stepped up his game to get the Heroes off their coddled butts and DO something.

I'll probably stick thru to the end of the season and see if we as an audience are rewarded with some kind of epic battle, or answers. But realistically i'm not holding my breathe, I honestly feel that they will have another weak final battle as per in season 1 (sylars confrontation). If so then my question of should I keep the season pass on my DVR will be answered with a stern REMOVAL.
  • Only one story-line was kind of well written, and the chapter seems to be devolving into collection of melodramas. What gives?

On the surface, it appears that quite a bit happened in this episode of Heroes. Unfortunately, a closer look reveals that the storylines appear to be crumbling. My biggest fear is that at the end of this chapter nothing will really be settled, and the characters will be pretty much right back to where they were at the start of it. Let's look closer at the major story-lines this episode followed.

At the start we have the affair between Sylar and Elle. It is obvious that they are trying to write sexual tension between the two, but it comes off very weak. Elle's entire modus operandi appears to be schizoid: one minute she's just another good company (wo)man, and the next she retaliating; one minute she's lamenting turning Sylar back into a monster, the next she's hating his new "yes, sir!" attitude. Sylar is just as schizophrenic, and I'm starting to get quite annoyed. At some point the writers either have to reveal their plan for this pair, or else let them go, never to be seen again. There is a chance (albeit very small) that Noah will end this story-line, and due to it's back-and-forth, meandering nature this year, I almost welcome it.

We next have Claire. While once happy and longing to be just normal, she is really trying to take on the badge of a hero. Unfortunately, she's a very selfish and self-centered hero. When learning that her very important role is to "keep from getting caught" you almost feel that she's about to let out all of her pent up rage. The scene of her and Noah in Stephen Canfield's house was almost unbearable. Typical daddy issues, which didn't seem to be present even one season ago.

Nathan and Peter's argument is yet another example of melodramatic writing. Lost and stranded in Haiti, suddenly without powers, they get into a sibling spat!? Come on!

Probably the only bright spot is the interactions that occurred between Matt, Daphne, Hiro and Ando. While Matt's failed usage of his powers was a little bit corny (and I still don't understand what is so important about Daphne) there is a true human element occurring there. Add in Hiro's new-found innocence (but also a new-found wisdom), and we have the episode's highlights. The throwing of the corn was my favourite moment of the episode. In a forced irony (which isn't really an irony because it is so forced) we learn that in a previous life Daphne was nothing close to a Speedster, but Matt's love(?) for her does not falter. The comic store scene was a bit too much, and the fact that Hiro and Ando seem to have relied on the 9th Wonders! comics more and more makes Hiro's mentoring of Matt in the cornfield a little less believable (although Hiro did learn it from a Saturday Samurai Matinee Showdown, which is perfectly in keeping with his new ten-year-old persona).

I hope that the second part of "The Eclipse" brings more fluidity to the chapter, although the lack of fluidity appears to be a main thread throughout the series. Unfortunately, what will probably happen is that the second Noah fires his gun, the eclipse will pass, and all those with natural super-powers will get them back, Mohinder and others with artificial super-powers won't.
  • Review.

A second eclipse causes all of the heroes to lose their abilities. Arthur sends Elle and Sylar to get Claire, who is shot by Elle and can't heal without her powers. Elsewhere, Peter and Nathan go in search of The Haitian, while Matt, Hiro and Ando follow Daphne to find out what she has been hiding. Not a bad episode I have seen worse, much worse. The Heroes loosing there powers could be good but I'm still not sure they might drag it out for too long and then it will be like what the hell Heroes should be called people. For now though its no big deal just hope it doesnt last to long. A good ending but I fear Elle dying in the next episode. Oh my god Seth Green is in heroes that was cool hope he has a cool story during the next couple of episodes. Plenty of action in this episod and it was fast paced but it was slightly dissapointing compared to last weeks episode.

All in all this was a decent episode which has plenty of action and a cool plot twist. I give it a 8.5 out of 10.
  • The Eclipse has arrived

Daphne had a crisis of faith and headed back home to her Kansas farmhouse, and Matt, Ando and Hiro spend most of the ep hiding in a corn field. Then she pouts in her room till we find out that without her powers she can barely walk. Tracy plots to, I don't know, do something evil? Something about contacts and getting Nathan into the White House. Sylar tries to earn brownie points with Arthur by going to grab Claire; who has some bonding time with her father. Noah tries to make her untouchable... Like that's ever gonna happen. Mohinder gets even more scaly and when he loses his powers, Peter and Nathan and goes in search of the Haitian.
  • A good episode but just a stepping stone, putting the pieces in place.

Setting the stage for the next episode with the final part of the eclipse.

The last few episodes, they've returned to the old format, Mohinder doing the voice-over. Everyone's looking at the sky, just like the first time.

Arthur orders Sylar to go after Claire and Elle volunteers to be his partner. "Let's go get the cheerleader." Déjà vu. Arthur draws a disturbing image – Claire dead in Bennet's arms. Somehow the eclipse will take away Claire's power!

Angela has a grand plan and has all her pieces in play and of course, expects Claire to stay put, out of harm's way. Nathan's part is to get the Haitian and little brother wants to tag along. Without Peter's powers, he feels useless but still feels that drive that makes him the hero every time. And when has Nathan EVER been able to say no to his little brother? There is nothing I love more about Heroes than Nathan and Peter together!

Nathan and Peter actually get into a historic first: a fight! Nathan points out how he has been rescuing Peter his whole life, and Peter retaliates, Nathan is a puppet, every decision he's made has been Nathan living his father's life and dreams. In the future, Nathan will chose Arthur over Peter. Amazing how Nathan reverts to the old selfish Nathan when you take away the power that makes his life easier and important. "Can the universe get me a phone?!"

Finally Bennet offers to train Claire, about time! She taps into her anger and with training, she'd be very impressive. Sylar and Elle show up and everyone realizes the powers are gone so they do it the old fashioned way, leading to Claire being shot. It's not like Elle and Sylar can't figure out where they went – they went home! Bennet leaves and apparently her 'you always leave me' rant didn't sink in.

Hiro can be hilarious but this is one of the funniest – he starts throwing corn at Matt's head! Very sweet message – if you can't win the girl without your powers, you don't deserve her. Daphne's big secret isn't half as bad as she makes out, without her powers she can't walk. Is her self esteem that bad that she thinks Matt will care? Matt's got a huge, loving heart!

The Haitian has a brother whose skin is impenetrable. He's the local warlord and buddy of Arthur's, with orders to capture Nathan.

For intelligent people, barely any of them figure out that the eclipse is causing the loss of powers. It does bring some sanity, Elle and Sylar get off their power trip and finally kiss. Problem is, they're in the scope of Bennet's sniper rifle…

Though the loss of powers is a game-changer, this episode just sets the stage for part 2 and is not important in and of itself.
  • Something of a wasted opportunity.

Um. Don't eclipses last for like, seconds? Minutes? And er… how, exactly, can a total eclipse be seen in Kansas and Haiti at the same time? (Okay, I suppose you could argue that the time scales don't have to match up but come on…) Putting aside the scientific grumbles that will inevitably result from an episode like this, the first part of the big 'Eclipse' story is… well… a bit meh, really. 'It's Coming' promised something epic; 'The Eclipse' gives us a load of hot air. Great, so the heroes' abilities have disappeared. So, apparently, has the writers' ability to make them interesting. Elle and Sylar's 'dangerous' run around smacks of panic-induced padding on Coleite and Pokaski's part; needing to fill an extra five minutes with material that doesn't quicken the pace of the over-arching narrative. The Haitian's story comes entirely out of left field and falls entirely flat. The viewer is given nowhere near enough time to process the context of the situation: Nathan and Peter quite literally fall into the guy's fight with his brother (the ludicrously named Baron Samedi) while it's supposedly in full swing and yet we barely get to see any of it. Worse, Samedi doesn't even appear on screen and is merely referenced in off-the-cuff epithets about how much of a 'bad guy' he is. This is no way to 'sell' a threat, no way to build it into an exciting, suspenseful race against time to rescue the heroes from the villains. I found it difficult to give a jot about what the Haitian was up to, to be honest, and the Petrelli brothers' incessant pointless bickering only exacerbated matters. Ironically, it is Matt's virtual non-storyline that is the highlight of the episode, if only because it gets to showcase the delightful comic talents of Masi Oka and actually lends his relationship with Daphne, and her character, some much needed depth. Something of a wasted opportunity.
  • So in this episode we see definite sides form as it seems a battle is about to take place.

So in this episode we see definite sides form as it seems a battle is about to take place. Warning spoilers below.

And who else could be at the center of this battle? Well, none other than Claire Bennet, the cheerleader. What I just don't get is why is it always centered around the cheerleader, I guess it all started with "Save the cheerleader save the world" but why her. Maybe because she can never die? But neither could Adam. But I guess by the time people knew about him, he was already bad. Either way, we find out that Claire is wanted by both sides, which doesn't seem to help her out. I have to say, this episode brings up one of the most annoying things about Claire, her constant bickering that she could be more, and not be a victim. For crying out loud girl, wake up, it's so childish and annoying. At least the writers could stop making her character repeat the same wish wash crappy lines she always pulls up. We finally find out the significance of a long going part of the show, the eclipse. I was pretty happy to finally understand why this eclipse has long been a part of the name of the show, I mean it is always their behind the title and a lot of the time shows up during the show. But now we know why. What I couldn't understand is why Elle is trying to turn Sylar bad again, I guess it was possible, but why make him a killer? I guess Elle has always been bad, ever since her father used her for the company, and now that she is free of him, she wants to cause pain. What's crazy about this episode is that everyone loses their powers, and what was the hardest thing to watch was Claire jumping in front of a bullet when she didn't know her powers were gone for the time being as well. I liked the end of the episode, it leaves us watching as Sylar is about to be sniped by Noah, which was a pretty intense place to leave a great episode. I really liked this episode, for once everyone had no powers, and it was cool to see the paintings of the future coming true.
  • Elclispe not accurate at all....

Well the eclipse cannot shade the whole side of the planet but only a very small area at each eclipse and it only last for about 7 minutes. The one on the show seems to last for hours... but the show is about un-natural stuff that people would like to see happen. Well at least some people are starting to get together on the show and Syler and Elle... but you saw that coming... hehe!!

And Clair's dad could finaly get his revenge on Syler for what he did to Clair. I hope that Hiro grows up soon, I think that his friend is getting tired of babysiting him. How cool if Seth Green in te comic book store, very. -Codeman
  • Laws of nature ignored!

I know that Heroes is a fantasy but it does exist in our reality and must adhere to most laws of nature. However the entire solar system seems to have frozen for the convenience of the writers of Heroes. A solar eclipse rarely lasts more than 7 and a bit minutes (usually six and a half minutes) and they are really milking this one! They could have gotten away with this by only showing individual characters for a total of seven and a half minutes each and it would have worked by cutting back and forth to fill the hour. However, this eclipse is lasting forever. HRG fights with Sylar, drives the wounded Claire home, has a conversation, gets a rifle and drives back to Sylar's location while the eclipse is still occurring (to be continued yet?!?!). This is only one example from this poorly plotted episode of how time is unreasonably warped and Hiro has no powers to do it either! I am sure that the writers thought this was a great idea but they threw reality completely out the window here. I fully believe that this was a huge mistake and that none of the writers were aware of the actual time it takes for a solar eclipse to occur. This has really degraded Heroes down to the lapsed logic plotting of shows like Lost. Heroes has completely gone downhill since the first season. I blamed the writer's strike originally but this season is the worst so far. Heroes has become another senseless melodrama, similar in too many ways to the daytime soaps!!!
  • Though a transition episode, still, I think, very exceptional.

This episode, to me, feels like a transition episode. Not that that is a bad thing, because I can feel that the transition's going to be good, but it still seemed like a transition episode. It also offered a whole lot of character development, I thought. I thought that the Sylar/Elle storyline kept going on as exceptionally as it has been for the past few weeks. Elle and Sylar are my favorite characters, and seeing them paired up just makes me so happy. Peter is becoming more and more likeable the longer he is without his powers. Mohinder was much better this week than he has been, and I thought that his decision to go and find Maya was perhaps quite underplayed, but it also showed his weakness when Arthur came in, and the strength that Arthur has access to even without his powers.

I thought Nathan's righteous stubbornness was amazingly well played this week, and then Tracy, to me, is slowly becoming like a Jessica character, like the evil counterpart to Nathan. The reintroduction of the Haitian as well as the emotion that was finally injected into his character made me happy; and then, lastly, I'd just like to note that HRG's return as the big, bad, Dad was awesome and that Claire's character development throughout the entire episode was purely amazing. All in all, 9.5 out of 10. Exceptional.
  • I've been a loyal fan from the beginning and heroes is in fact the first TV show that I have ever loyally watched on TV. This episode begins to reveal how the eclipse gave the heroes powers and now the eclipse can take them away as well.

The pictures of the eclipse have been threaded through all the episodes and seasons and now we finally start to understand the significance. The first eclipse gave the heroes their powers and now the second eclipse has taken them away. We now get a glimpse of the Hatian's brother, who Peter, Nathan, and the Hatian are now trying to stop. As the heroes begin to lose their powers, I found Daphne's situation the most revealing; in fact it was a bit of a surprise to learn her condition before she gained her powers.

A lot happens in this episode, and all the heroes becoming normal people again is an interesting plot twist. I believe this show had a major lull in season two, but I think it's making a comeback with episodes like this.

This is by far my favorite series on TV, I have heard rumors they may cancel it because it costs 4 million and beyond per episode to produce. I really hope this show goes on for at least a few more seasons, in my opinion it is the best show on TV.
  • An overall decent episode of the series, but still not the best they could have done.

Well what with this episode being a two-parter, I have to say I expected more from it. However a few times in this episode I felt my concentration drifting and could sense the story beginning to lag. But before we focus on the negatives, lets look at the positives.
    On the whole this was a fairly decent episode of Heroes. As the eclipse looms all over the world the heroes and villains realise that they have lost their powers and must resort to their more primitive instincts when it comes to fighting. None have to face this trial more so than Claire who comes up against Sylar and Elle when they to kidnap her for Arthur Petrelli. It was rather a funny moment when Sylar and Elle could not use their powers for the first time but this scene was made all the more shocking when Claire was shot and you realised that for the first time since the show started, she could actually die. We'll have to wait until next week to find out if she will regenerate but one thing is for sure, Claire will be more a major part in the show as this volume progresses. The funniest moments of the episode are between Matt, Hiro and Ando. They have followed Daphne back to her home town after she took off and learn that she lived on a corn farm in Kansas. However unable to use their powers, Matt cannot read her mind to discover what is going on with her and Hiro cannot teleport them out of there (great cameo by Seth Green and Breckan Myer by the way). We soon discover that Daphne seems to have some sort of disability that returned once her power was taken away. It seems that speed was the only thing that gave her half way human mobility and it seems that this is why she was so frightened of Arthur Petrelli. She didn't want to go back to a life of being crippled, which is the first time we get to see her human side since we met her. Meanwhile Peter and Nathan also have a fellow hero to pick up in the form of the Hatian. The both of them are still arguing and it seems that Peter is resentful for how much Nathan resembles their father, Arthur and how much of Nathan's life has been constructed for him. Nathan refuses to accept any more of Peter's whining but before they can continue their fight they are confronted by the Hatian and his psychotic adversary. As Nathan is kidnapped, Peter and the Hatian try to form a plan to get it back but wether these brothers will ever be able to let bygones be bygones still remains to be seen. Angela does seem to be getting suspicious of Tracy's intentions, but Nathan could yet side with her and Arthur and take his place in the White House. Whatever the case it seems that Nathan will not be amongst the fugitives by the time Volume four starts in a few weeks. Now onto the more negetive aspects of the episode. For one no matter how far past the time of 9 it is, I do not like to see Sendhil Ramahtury being pushed out of a caccoon, thats just not cool and has left me with enough horrible thoughts and images to be going on with. There was also the small matter of the fight scene between Bennett, Claire, Elle and Sylar. I know that Heroes cannot kill all of it's main characters in one fell swoop but I'm getting a little tired of all of these fight scenes that don't come to anything. The only person who seems to be injured in them are people who are then regenerated a few seconds afterwards and the most vulnerable of characters are let off lightly. It is getting less and less realistic for these people to carry on living and I think it's about time for Heroes to kill off a main character instead of taking out it's anger on the guest stars. It may be sad and morbid but it's expected in a show like this. For the love of all that is holy, Niki Sanders died and the creators responded by giving her a twin. Next Sylar will discover all of the secrets of the company and then get amnesia in a car accident. The writers certainly need to step it up a notch.
    Finally I will end on the note that, after all, this episode is still a two-parter so the writers techncally have another hour to redeem themselves if they so choose. Give us some more interesting dialogue, some realistic fight scenes and some genuine tension and storyline and I will go into volume four a happy man.
  • Heroes!!

Well done. I really enjoyed this episode.

The eclipse taking everyone's powers. The fast paced stories was very appealing to me.
    Peter without powers is boring, hope he'll get them back somehow. He's just an empty character without abilities.

I liked how Sylar accessed his empathy to get eletric powers. Just didn't see the point of him playing all "Yes, sir" to Arthur or going all bad boy later with Elle.

It was fun to see Noah owning both Elle and Sylar's asses in the house. All of them rely too much on their powers. Without them, they are pretty much useless in hand to hand combat.

I'm really expecting part 2 to see what's going to happen to Nathan and Peter..
  • Chaos Chaos all around !

This season seems to keep getting better every episode.Heroes must use their own survival skills and wait 'til the eclipse is over to regain their missed powers. Although I didn't like how it began Elle's and Sylar's storyline is growing on me as well as Daphne's.Hiro is silly and I am really dissapointed with him this season.Seth Green appears in the picture I hope he brings something to the show and help Hiro regain the strong presence he is missing since last season. Mohinder goes back to normal and try to contact Maya but is quickly stopped by Flint, science can't beat muscle. That's all for now waiting for the second part.
  • The Eclipse takes place which affects all the Heroes and Villains. Arthur orders Sylar to capture Claire and Elle joins him. Matt, Hiro, and Ando follow Daphne to Kansas. Nathan and Peter look for the Haitian in Haiti.

After a couple of weeks of filler episodes, it was good to finally get an episode that shows why this series belongs on television. This episode left me wanting more, I'm watching it again tonight on G4. It was cleverly written to show how the beta humans have become accustomed to their powers. Sylar is a perfect example because he couldn't accept the fact that he is now human without his powers. It also allowed Noah to beat him senseless. Matt also couldn't get accustomed to not being able to read minds. Arthur was the most worried about not having his ability, he looked scared the whole time. So much for a strong man.
    The Haitian took it as fate deciding to take away his powers. Mohinder was glad to be back to his normal self. Claire needed her power the most after taking a bullet to the shoulder. Peter needs to regain his powers again and soon. Daphne needs her powers because without them, then she can't walk. That was a nice twist to the character. Can't wait until next week.
  • The first part of The Eclipse is good but not one of the better episodes of this season

The Eclipse(1) is a good episode but a little too far from the Heroes ordinary in which has made it so addictive and fun to watch. In the episode all of the heroes lose their powers in which really bothered me. I know down the line it will probably pay off but i dislike seeing the amazing people become ordinary people. I do think that the next episode will be amazing like the older episodes(Season one) because there is a lot at stake in it with claire going to the hospital. Heroes is an amazingly creative show but this episode was just a little bit too different.
  • Waiting for it to come together

At this point, the backlash against "Heroes" has generated a backlash of its own. There's no doubt that some of the criticism is due to a bandwagon effect. Too many people in the world (and on the internet) love to kick a man when he's down, and Tim Kring has fallen right on his face with his recent comments and his decision to scapegoat his previous showrunners.

Unfortunately, it's not all about tearing down a good thing. There are legitimate criticisms that are being dismissed amidst the noise. Apologists tend to ignore those criticisms anyway, citing the notion that some critics and disaffected fans just don't pay attention, but that glosses over the many continuity errors that have cropped up this season.

This particular episode is just the beginning of whatever process is underway with the universal loss of abilities, so it's hard to comment on what has yet to play out completely. A couple of things immediately come to mind. It's a comic book staple to have some event wipe out powers across the board, at least for a little while, and it always manages to knock over the anthills a bit. The question is how long it will last, and how it will change the approaching war.

One big question does come up, however: why is the eclipse suddenly so important? The first season started with the hint that the eclipse had some greater meaning, but previous continuity has established that the various abilities came about long before the eclipse in the pilot. For that matter, Hiro appeared in Japan during an eclipse, and it had no discernable effect on his powers at the time.

This episode, however, states that the abilities emerged when the previous eclipse took place, and ties that to the apparent significance of the current crisis. Perhaps worse, the writers use that as plot justification in and of itself. They simply borrow the importance of the previous eclipse, even though its own significance is tenuous at best!

I'm also a bit annoyed with the characterization of Sylar in this episode. While Elle does seem like the type to focus on self-interest, Sylar's character arc went from relatively straightforward to all over the map. Is Sylar being set up as the ultimate wild card? Or is he just shifting his desire for approval from Angela to Arthur to Elle? I've been frustrated with Sylar all season, and this episode is no exception.

If "9th Wonder" was the comic book written and drawn by Isaac in the first season, and Isaac is dead, who is generating new issues of the comic book now? That would seem to be a fairly obvious continuity error. It also doesn't help that the writers took a page from "Lost" and pulled a John Locke with Daphne. So her ability allows her to overcome her disability. It's an interesting twist for the character, but sadly, it felt derivative.

All that said, I did end up enjoying the majority of the episode. I loved the interplay between Noah and Claire, especially her decision to save his life. She may have thought that her ability would make it a low risk proposition, but it's the thought that counts. I liked seeing the Petrelli brothers have it out for a while, though I think that they still need a good brawl to get over themselves.

A lot can be forgiven if the rest of this volume's arc can deliver on its promises. The first season ended with a whimper, and the second season was only marginally better. It would be a very good sign if the third volume could round out the end of 2008 on a high note.
  • An eclipse gave them abilities, an eclipse took them away.

The end game for volume 3 starts with a bang as the heroes realize that, just like the moon to the tide, their powers are bound to the same phenomenon that manifested them. At the exact same time that Peter & Nathan can no longer fly, Claire can no longer heal and Mohinder seeks shelter in a cocoon he made for himself, Elle & Sylar discover how much they really do know one another as Matt and Daphne discover exactly how much they really don't once her power is revealed to be the one thing that helped her walk and his espirit walk completely irrelevant as to why he fell in love with her.

Of course the bad guy's powers are also as useless as theirs are, Hiro still believes he's a 10 year old and Noah is about to shoot Elle & Sylar but Claire is bleeding to death and neither Peter or Nathan are able to help for as powerful as they might have been this global event just remind them how small they truly are.
  • A good episode.

This was a pretty good episode. It had a lot of strengths though I felt it lacked a bit of punch given the build up. I expect more action in the next installment. That being said they are really spending a lot of time with the Gabriel/Sylar development. Who is going to win. I'm still not sure what Elle's game is. Peter and Daphne are great. Mohinder's plot is still way out in left field, I hope he does not start turning back into the fly . . . I liked that Peter stood up to Nathan, who really doesn't have a backbone. I keep waiting for one to develop, but no luck. Anyway, I'm excite to see where this all goes. Also, if the eclipse takes away power and apparently some of the effects of powers (Mohinder not being all scaly) then why is Hiro still 10?
  • The Eclipse comes and takes away everyone's powers, Peter and Nathan travel to Haiti to find the Haitian to help stop Arthur, Sylar and Elle team up to capture Claire, Matt travels to Kansas with Hiro and Ando to find out what's wrong with Daphne.

I LOVE this episode, it was exactly what I needed to satisfy my Heroes craving, I thought everything was perfect ('cept the whole Elle shooting Claire part, not cool) but other than that I loved it. Sylar and Elle kissing sent goosebumps down my arm, seeing Daphne in those crutches broke my heart a little but it made me like her character even more, and Hiro's still his adorable self (Even if he is mentally 10 years old). I'm hoping something dramatic happenes next, but I hope Claire lives! I'm on the edge, I can't watch for the season finale!
  • So boring that it made me want to cry or at least sleep.

This was an episode that i have been looking forward to for a long time but it turned out to be a horribly boring episode that showed me that if these characters did not have super powers then they would not be interesting characters at all. One, why is Mohinder still alive, his character is so boring and he is truely the dumbest scientist ever. I really wished that his father would take his place because in season one his father was 10 times better character that he was. Two, it took forever for claire to get shot. We all saw it coming thanks to the fact that it was in the trailer and they mention it 100 million times during this episode. Three, wow she was crippled. Okay i feel sad for the speedster but it was not that much of a shocker. I thought it would be something deeper that would possible give her an episode i imagine before. Four, Petrellie's father was so boring all he did was say a bunch of stuff about the future, his character becomes completely boring without super powers. Things that i did like were Skylar and Elle. Yeah Kristen Bell, she is wonderful too bad she is going to die before this volume ends or at least that is what i think is going happen. I hope Skylar stays on the show as long as possible because he is just a great character. As for everyone else they can die because i am bored with them already.
  • Heroes without powers are fun! Except not really! Nathan and Peter become the Bickersons, Elle and Sylar team up, but not sexually, so that's no fun. But one glorious bullet makes up for a lot of things.

After reuniting Sylar and Elle, Arthur (guest star Robert Forster) orders them to find Claire and bring her to him. They're all flirty with each other, and then Elle manipulates Sylar into killing someone (confused? Does Elle want Sylar to be good or evil?). Anyhoo, they go to vortex guy's house, where HRG and Claire are to get Claire, their powers go out, but HRG still has a gun. A scuffle ensues, Elle gets the gun, tries to shoot HRG, Clair gets shot (woot), HRG flees with Claire back to their home. He leaves her to seek out Elle and Sylar for revenge.

Matt, Hiro and Ando team up together and follow Daphne (guest star Brea Grant) to her hometown of Lawrence, Kansas to discover what she's been hiding, which is that without her powers she can't walk. Hiro and Ando go to a comic book shop owned by Seth Green and Breckin Myers.

Meanwhile, Nathan and Peter Petrelli travel together to Haiti in search of the only man that can stop their father from destroying the world, the Haitian. The Haitian is however busy trying to stop his evil brother Samedi (who has impenetrable skin)

Of course the eclipse removes all of their powers, leaving the heroes to deal with all their emotional baggage. Mohinder likes not having his powers, tries to go find Maya, but Arthur has Meredith's brother put a stop to that. Papa Petrelli and Tracy continue to plot and plan, and draw ominous futures, while Mama Petrelli catches wind of some of these plans. Random Thoughts:

- Parkman and Daphne's romance continues to defy logic.

- "I hate heroes"– Sylar (Maybe I should follow his lead)

- Claire getting shot! It's like the writers are trying to bribe me with small snippets of goodness.

- The Mohinder scenes were just plain awful.

- Why won't the writers decide whether Sylar and Elle are good or evil.

Bottom line: Other than Claire getting shot and the Haitian, nothing really interested me in this episode.
  • I loved it! :)

This episode is great!
    Hiro makes me laugh so hard! He was so funny when he needed to go to Matt's bathroom. I'm so sorry for Daphne. When I saw her in those things around her legs, I felt so sad. :( There's a graphic novel about her, it's great too!
    So, the eclipse came and took everyone's abilities. Nathan is captured by the Haitian's brother. Peter escaped with the Haitian.
    Claire is dangerously injured. I hope she'll be alright.
    Sylar and Elle kissed! That was so great! They are so cute and adorable together! But Bennet is trying to kill them. I hope he doesn't do that.
    The trailers for the next episode are great!
    Can't wait for the next episode! :)
  • I'm just so giddy about Seth Green and Breckin Meyer and CLAIRE GETTING SHOT that I almost can't take it!

AHAHA! YES! YES! I cannot WAIT for next week!!!! DIE CLAIRE DIEE~

God, I'm in such a good mood. Why? Let's see... Sylar and Elle kissed, Claire got shot (oh, happy days…), Suresh isn't being stupid anymore, I swear to God there was eclipse foreshadowing with everyone's favorite Japanese sidekick and oh, wait, I must think… oh yes. Breckin Meyer and Seth Green. The cute little comic book shop keepers. Perhaps that is why I'm so ecstatic. Yes. I believe that's why. –giggles manically- It's gotta be because of Green and Meyer finally being added to the cast that I've really got nothing bad to say about this episode. The thing about Daphne: Holy crap. Wasn't expecting that at all. And fyi, the next time my friend's in a moral dilemma I'm totally throwing corn at him. It seems to work. And Hiro bobbing his head with the turtle? Oh good God, I nearly died. I couldn't help it; Nathan and Peter were trying just so hard to be mad at each other that I started voicing over what they were saying, particularly when the Haitian showed up. Ahaa… Something about how super-totally-awesome Big Brother Haitian was and Nathan using his shirt as a surrender flag. Wait, what? I must be high… ON GOOD-QUALITY EPISODE!

For those of you who've read my past reviews, you're probably thinking, "Who are you, and how did you highjack ginaneko's account?" Anyways, I laughed when Flint smacked Suresh into the glass window. Mua ha ha. It was funny. I've always liked Flint… Oh, and sticky, slimy, naked Suresh? Um, ew. No please. Sweaty, shirtless, not talking Suresh I can deal with, again, as long as his mouth is shut. Naked and slimy draws the line. And it's not a fine line.

My line of the week directed at Claire that my mom laughed at (I talk to the TV on occasion…): "Well, of course it hurts you dumbass. You got shot. What the hell is wrong with you? Even someone who could heal would know being SHOT hurts! Just… stop talking. Stop it. I hate it when your lips move and words come out."

Unfortunately, because they spent the entire preview on Claire-bear (dieeeee), I have nothing to say other than "MUA HA HA! YAY!" Til next week, folks. –crosses fingers and chants the words 'red-freaking-lightning' over and over-
  • this episode was badass on so many levels

This episode was awesome. My personal favorite was that they had a good amount of everyone in the episode. Peter,sylar,and hiro (my 3 favorites) all had good screen time. And They actually brought Noah Bennett back this time to kick some ass and he did just that. Sylar without his powers got his ass kicked by noah. And elle got a nice swipe across the face. It was cool to see how everyone became normal again.. i was wondering if mohinder would also return. It will be interesting to see how peter and the haitin.. (2 of the more powerful abilities) try to save nathan and stop his brother. Im personally looking forward to seeing what will become of hiro,ando and seth greens character. If people were dissapointed with heroes earlier this season this episode should change that. I think they are getting better and better! The only thing that sucks is in a couple more episodes we have to take that mid-season break which we all hate waiting for :(
  • The dark eclipse plays havoc with the heroes' powers. Arthur orders Elle and Sylar to bring in Claire. Hiro, Ando, and Matt follow Daphne to her hometown to learn what hold Arthur has on her, and Peter and Nathan travel to the Haitian's for help stop.

Love this episode I think it was funny specially Hero parts. Sad for Daphne, hope she gets better. Peter and Nathan fall was crazy lucky they found water. Tracy is not a Villain after all which is good. Ellen and Sylar changing their mind back and forth are making me mad. It was sweet of Claire to save her dad. Angela's I love her she quite and know what she doing. The Haitian finally talking looking great and a good Hero always trying to help I think this episode was too short but again I love Heroes and I always want more.
  • How can all of you not like this episode!

This episode was amazing, the best so far. Heroes are starting to connect a lot more, the comedy is improving, and the writers are back on a structured story! I don't know why tonights episode was so entertaining. Was it the constant shift of set or just the story that amazed me? I know that Claire isn't going to die but I love how she finally feels pain! And the preview for the next episode. Wow! Molhinders story is somehow growing on me even though I dislike it and so is Hiro's. Seth Green on the Eclipse Pt 2? Cool!
< 1 2