Heroes

The Eclipse: Part 1

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Nov 24, 2008 on NBC

• An overall decent episode of the series, but still not the best they could have done.

Well what with this episode being a two-parter, I have to say I expected more from it. However a few times in this episode I felt my concentration drifting and could sense the story beginning to lag. But before we focus on the negatives, lets look at the positives.
    On the whole this was a fairly decent episode of Heroes. As the eclipse looms all over the world the heroes and villains realise that they have lost their powers and must resort to their more primitive instincts when it comes to fighting. None have to face this trial more so than Claire who comes up against Sylar and Elle when they to kidnap her for Arthur Petrelli. It was rather a funny moment when Sylar and Elle could not use their powers for the first time but this scene was made all the more shocking when Claire was shot and you realised that for the first time since the show started, she could actually die. We'll have to wait until next week to find out if she will regenerate but one thing is for sure, Claire will be more a major part in the show as this volume progresses. The funniest moments of the episode are between Matt, Hiro and Ando. They have followed Daphne back to her home town after she took off and learn that she lived on a corn farm in Kansas. However unable to use their powers, Matt cannot read her mind to discover what is going on with her and Hiro cannot teleport them out of there (great cameo by Seth Green and Breckan Myer by the way). We soon discover that Daphne seems to have some sort of disability that returned once her power was taken away. It seems that speed was the only thing that gave her half way human mobility and it seems that this is why she was so frightened of Arthur Petrelli. She didn't want to go back to a life of being crippled, which is the first time we get to see her human side since we met her. Meanwhile Peter and Nathan also have a fellow hero to pick up in the form of the Hatian. The both of them are still arguing and it seems that Peter is resentful for how much Nathan resembles their father, Arthur and how much of Nathan's life has been constructed for him. Nathan refuses to accept any more of Peter's whining but before they can continue their fight they are confronted by the Hatian and his psychotic adversary. As Nathan is kidnapped, Peter and the Hatian try to form a plan to get it back but wether these brothers will ever be able to let bygones be bygones still remains to be seen. Angela does seem to be getting suspicious of Tracy's intentions, but Nathan could yet side with her and Arthur and take his place in the White House. Whatever the case it seems that Nathan will not be amongst the fugitives by the time Volume four starts in a few weeks. Now onto the more negetive aspects of the episode. For one no matter how far past the time of 9 it is, I do not like to see Sendhil Ramahtury being pushed out of a caccoon, thats just not cool and has left me with enough horrible thoughts and images to be going on with. There was also the small matter of the fight scene between Bennett, Claire, Elle and Sylar. I know that Heroes cannot kill all of it's main characters in one fell swoop but I'm getting a little tired of all of these fight scenes that don't come to anything. The only person who seems to be injured in them are people who are then regenerated a few seconds afterwards and the most vulnerable of characters are let off lightly. It is getting less and less realistic for these people to carry on living and I think it's about time for Heroes to kill off a main character instead of taking out it's anger on the guest stars. It may be sad and morbid but it's expected in a show like this. For the love of all that is holy, Niki Sanders died and the creators responded by giving her a twin. Next Sylar will discover all of the secrets of the company and then get amnesia in a car accident. The writers certainly need to step it up a notch.
    Finally I will end on the note that, after all, this episode is still a two-parter so the writers techncally have another hour to redeem themselves if they so choose. Give us some more interesting dialogue, some realistic fight scenes and some genuine tension and storyline and I will go into volume four a happy man.