Heroes

The Eclipse: Part 2

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Dec 01, 2008 on NBC

7.7
  • The eclipse drags on and so does the show, treading water in the advancement of the central storylines for the second week in a row.

The eclipse drags on and so does the show, treading water in the advancement of the central storylines for the second week in a row and, in many aspects, failing to generate the weighty level of tension that 'It's Coming' seemed to promise us all. Everyone has a good run around again (apart from Hiro that is, who gets to have a few moments with Seth Green… nice geeky touch there, guys) and, for the most part, it all seems rather superfluous. I still don't care about Baron Samedi, even after the Haitian killed him in one of the most immensely cool ways possible. Sylar and Elle's transformation from the hunters to the hunted becomes tiresome after a while as, once again, it falls back on the somewhat beleaguered, well-worn 'conflict' between hero and villain. Shades of grey, yeah, we get it guys. Seriously. No need to beat us around the head with it anymore. The decision to have Gabriel murder his lover is also somewhat questionable: while one suspects the writers were attempting to illustrate how he straddles the line between black and white, they actually reveal to us all just how desperate they are to 'complicate' their characters. It's a forced narrative swerve and doesn't scan at all, feeling artificial rather than immersing you in the show's 'reality'. The same can be said of Nathan's completely unprecedented decision to side with Arthur: all because he saw how powers could help people in Haiti? Um, hasn't the guy been aware of that since season one? This is conflict created for conflict's sake and, therefore, the viewer simply cannot buy into it. One to watch on auto pilot, with the bare minimum of thought.