Heroes

Unexpected

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Feb 19, 2007 on NBC

• Great payoffs to earlier setups

Ando throws all the Zen aphorisms Hiro rattled off earlier back in Hiro's face.

Great payoffs to earlier setups.
  • this was a good ep

in this ep of the show heroes matt reunites with ted a high radioactive man and women that can use wirless abitltis and clair can no longer hold back her anger towards hrg the company and peter learns that he and claud may have been betrayed long ago this was a good ep i thought and it was very interesting and that is why igave it a 9 instead of anything lower and i thought it has its intense moments in this ep and it has its funnyeness but not much and that is some reasons that i gave the tv show ep 9
  • Peter continues his training while he is found Mr Bennet, Claire faces her father concerning her mother's condition, Hiro rescues Ando but makes a hard decision and Mohinder with Sylar find another one from the list.

The sixteenth chapter is all about excitement. Peter continues his training with Claude and manages to become a mean, deadly machine as he is able to call out powers he didn't even knew he had (like Sylar's telekinesis). He is found however by Mr Bennet and the Haitian. Peter rescues Claude and when Claude wakes up he refuses to keep training Peter claiming that that would put at risk his own life (we are revealed that the reason Claude went into hiding was because of Mr Bennet, something that we will be more expanded in depth in chapter 17: company man). Realizing that the reason they have found them was Isaac and his paintings, Peter pays a visit to the artist (who was given a gun by Mr Bennet in case he had to protect himself). While the two of them are fighting, someone else is caught in the fire (literally).
    Sandra Bennet's condition worsens after she faints and she is rushed to the hospital. Claire confronts her father and reveals that she has not lost her memory and that she is aware that what is happening to her mother is because of her father's unorthodox ways of protecting his family. Claire's story is the one that leads to the next chapter which is based entirely on the Bennet family. Matt returns home with Malsky's diamonds and gives to his wife one of the rings. His wife, excited at first, finds out that the diamond is worth much more than she is told. Matt reveals that the diamonds are stolen. Meanwhile, an old friend Ted finds him along with a woman named Hana Gitelman (I believe this is her only appearance on the show but she has many graphic novel stories). Both of them convince Matt that something was done to them when they were abducted and Ted and Matt go to the one man who can give them some answers; Mr Bennet. We also find out that the marks both Matt and Ted had on their shoulders (and we find out that Hana and Isaac Mendez as well as Claude have that mark) was a tracking device that sees them wherever they go. Hiro is with the policeman and is trying to save Ando from the evil lady. The pink bag that Ando took from the policeman's room was full with chips. In the ensuing fight, Hiro manages to use his powers to save himself and Ando. Hiro however realizes that he's putting Ando's life at risk and tells him to go home where he will be safe, as he goes on with their mission.
    Finally, Mohinder, still travelling with Sylar thinking he is Zane Taylor, finds another special from the list, Dale Smither. Dale's ability is awesome and is even more awesome when we witness it. Sylar manages to convince Dale to go through some tests after showing her that he is special as well (using Zane's ability only). However, Sylar's plans are bigger than that as he visits Dale by himself extracting one more power (how Sylar acquires powers is revealed in volume 3). Key facts: Notice Sylar and Mohinder's conversation when they are going back to the motel and Mohinder reveals to Sylar that his father was killed by Sylar. Sylar's reaction is amazing. Also notice Nathan's conversation with Simone. Nathan mentions that if anyone found out what they could do there would be serious consequences (something that actually happens in volume 4 by non-other than Nathan himself). Furthermore, Nathan mentions that if he could he would put all the special ones into an island far away (this could be foreshadowing volume 4 or a reference to the hit show Lost). Enjoy.
  • Wow

This episode definitely goes under the name unexpected - first it looks like slow, usual kind of episode. Some developments there and here but nothing major until..

first Peter and those man trying to get him. And he maneging to control the time and getting away with his mentor but looks like that chapter is over for them. And Syler.. oh.. he just manages to pull it all away so quickly and in front of everyone.

But the most shocking was how that cop decided to take things on his own hand that trio hitting Benett's house. And then the ending.. Ok.. that was just amazing story development.
  • Woot Woot Claire...

No Niki or Jessica or Micah in this episode... it was still superb though. The invisible guy Peter was hanging with dissapeared on him after an encounter with Mr. Bennett and his Hatian friend, afterwards he seeks out Issac and they fight for a bit, but, Issac accidently shoots Simone. Also, I liked how Claire finally shouted at her dad in this episode, but, when they get home they get ambushed my radioactive guy, Matt, and this wireless girl. Suspenseful... and, Hiro left Ando behind to continue his journey by himself. I'm sure Ando will turn up sometime, I hope. Finally, Sylar finds this female mechanic... and kills her, and takes her power. Ewwww. So anywayz, another near perfect episode.
  • Awesome

Mr. Bennet and The Haitian learn someone they once knew isn't dead. Mohinder and Sylar encounter another evolved human. Matt deals with his decision to take the diamonds. Sandra Bennet's condition forces Claire to confront her father. Hiro tracks down Ando and Hope. With Claude's help, Peter makes a breakthrough. Isaac and Simone come to a conclusion about their relationship. This episode was great and the ending was brilliant so unexpected cant wait to see next weeks episode I didn't think Simone would die so soon and that fast wonder how Issac and Peter will react it's going to be great.
  • Great Episode. Wooh Simones Dead!

In the outskirts of the desert in Nevada, Ted Sprague sits in a remote cabin. He is mystified when someone contacts him via instant messenger on his laptop, even though he is not connected to the Internet. The mysterious person reveals herself as Hana Gitelman, an Israeli woman who can access radio signals with her mind. She reveals to Ted the marks on their necks are used for tracking by Primatech Paper Co. Hana convinces him to come along, because she can find Mr. Bennet, and then Ted can blow him up.

Claire is distraught when her mother cannot remember her or Mr. Muggles. She calls her brother down to help only to find that their mother is fine and remembers them both. Later, Claire tries to tell her mother about the brainwashings. As she begins telling her mother she shouldn't trust her father, Sandra collapses in the kitchen. Claire runs over crying, attempting to wake her mother up.

In New York, Isaac Mendez explains to Mr. Bennet and The Haitian that Peter has become invisible. Mr. Bennet says that Peter, who absorbs the abilities of others, has come into contact with a man whom they thought was dead. They go to the Deveaux Building to track Peter down, leaving Isaac with a gun. Isaac asks what does he do with it. Bennet replies, "Save the world." On the roof of the Deveaux Building, Peter's training continues as Claude attacks him with a long wooden staff to force Peter to defend himself; he does, using telekinesis to break Claude's staff. Peter theorizes that he absorbed the ability from Sylar when they met in Texas. Simone goes to Isaac's loft to again enlist his help in finding Peter, and Isaac tries to convince her to stay away from Peter since he is dangerous. Isaac completes a painting of Peter in his loft only to discover him there already. Peter confronts Isaac about his betrayal but Isaac is adamant that what he was doing would save the world. Peter concludes that Isaac is jealous of his relationship with Simone and wants to ruin it. Peter questions why Isaac had offered Mr. Bennet tips to find him and Isaac says that he did it to save New York. Peter becomes outraged and demands that he stops lying to him as he uses telekinesis to throw Isaac through several of his paintings. When Isaac gets the gun he received from Mr. Bennet and points it at Peter, Peter becomes invisible and starts hurling objects around the room. Isaac becomes so frightened by Peter's taunting that he whirls around and fires two bullets at the next loud sound, thinking it's Peter. He is shocked when he realizes he has just shot Simone twice in the chest. Peter cradles Simone in his arms as he and Isaac watch her die.
    This episode was really good. To be honest my favourite part was when Simone died. Yeah! I hated her character. Dont know why she was even there. I also like the introduction to Hana Gitleman, She seems very interesting.
  • "Where Peter sees hope, you see disaster. I guess I'm voting for the other guy" by Simone.

Mr. Bennet and The Haitian learn someone they once knew isn't dead and that person is Claude. Mohinder and Sylar encounter another evolved human - Dale with an ability of evolved hearing. She can even hear heart beats. Steve Gustavson pulls Hiro out of the closet. Claude, training Peter, tries to swing the pole and hit Peter in the head, but Peter stops it using telekinesis and then snaps the pole. He got telekinesis from Sylar. Simone tells Isaac to find Peter. The Haitian and Mr. Bennet try to capture Claude and Peter but they did not seceded. Ted, Matt and Hana want the answers and they're determined to find them. Peter and Isaac find in Isaacs place while Peter's invisible. The door open and Isaac shoots in that direction. It turns out it was Simone so she dies in Peter's arms, her hand opens, revealing the key to Isaac's apartment she used to get in.
  • the best so far!!

oh my god!! this episode is really good and was really plotted greatly and it gets to a very insteresting climax and very complicated as well!! It was just one of the best so far and to be honest it had a very clear effect on the rest of the coming episodes!! probably the next few episodes will be onteresting to watch as well as the problem continues and more facts are reveealed and showing more of the past of each character!! the characters are well dressed too..lol!! especially the actresses with all the make up and stuff!! thts abt it i guess!!
  • An awesome episode that makes us realize the power that one man possesses.

An awesome episode that makes us realize the power that one man possesses. Peter really has an amazing ability, when we first saw it; it seemed he only had powers when he was near others. But as we see his character progress, we now see that he is a sponger for abilities. He basically absorbs peoples powers and can then use them at his will, but to do this he has to really focus. This is an interesting opposite to the character Sylar, who had nothing to begin with and has to kill to gain his abilities. Peter on the other hand can absorb powers without needing to kill, and thus becomes a very important piece of the puzzle. Peter is basically the opposite to Sylar, his personally is one of good morals, while Sylar just wants to kill and take things for himself. I hate the fact that Sylar is pretending to be another person and getting away with his plans, but I feel Peter is the answer to Sylar, his power makes him very dangerous and very powerful at the same time. While Sylar has great control over his powers, he has to kill to get them and he has to take the powers from the victims brains, Peter on the other hand just gets them from being near a possessor of an ability, but has little control over them. The end of this episode was the biggest shock, but in a way I think it will help Peter calm down, because he is getting a little bit out of control with his emotions.
  • While not paced at the breakneck speed of the last episode, this one builds up a pretty good head of steam in the narrative flow department; lots of important events occur.

Peter Petrelli finally gains a good measure of control over his powers, just in time to rescue himself and Claude from being captured by Bennet. When Peter finds out that Isaac was the one who led Bennet to him, he confronts him, with tragic consequences. Mohinder seeks out other Heroes with Sylar in tow, unaware of who he really is. Matt ends up with Malsky's diamonds, but his wife urges him to turn them over to the cops. Before he gets a chance to do that, Ted calls with a plan to get Bennet to come clean. Matt goes to meet him, and is introduced to a new Hero. Claire finally confronts her father after her mother suffers ill effects from having her memory wiped. Hiro makes the fateful decision to part ways with Ando. Nicely paced, well-written episode.
  • "Where Peter sees hope, you see disaster. I guess I'm voting for the other guy." - Simone Deveaux

• So far, my favorite!

Claire's mother denies that she forgot who Claire was. She collapses. Peter and Claude are training and then Claude gets shot by Mr. Bennet. Claude runs away from Peter. Peter learns that Isaac betrayed him. He and Isaac fight and when Isaac tries to shoot Peter, he hits Simone instead. Mr. Bennet comes home after Claire tells him about Mrs. Bennet. She reveals that she never lost her memory and that it's all his fault that Mrs. Bennet is in the hospital. Matt meets Ted and they plot to find answers and capturing Mr. Bennet. Hiro reunites with Ando, but Hiro tells Ando to go home. Mohinder and Sylar find another hero. She has enhanced hearing. Sylar kills her and takes her ability.

This was a fantastic episode! Even though Niki, D.L., and Micah weren't in it, I enjoyed this episode a lot! The ending was "unexpected." Hayden's acting was amazing! Her emotion with the scenes with Jack Coleman was so believable. I hope this isn't the last of Ando. I like him. This episode gets a 10 out of 10 from me!
  • A flowing episode!!

An intriguing beginning to this one continuing from Claire's mom's breakdown - but then she acts as if nothing happened! I was like whoaaaa. Claire can no longer hold back her anger towards HRG when the family learn of her mother's hemorrhage and really lays into him. Now even though he's kind of a bad guy I felt really sorry for him, anyway Peter learns that he and Claude may have been betrayed and flies! and uses telekinesis! on HIS OWN!!!! Fantastic power developments from Peter that sadly end in tragedy for a very good character. Matt's reunited with the radioactive Ted Sprague and a new hero: Hana Gitelman, a woman with "wireless" mental abilities shows up and together all three of them hold the Bennett family hostage... Superb episode!!
  • Well that was unexpected.

I actually said that when the episode ended, having paid no attention to the episode title. Well-named in my opinion. Back on track, every story line is coming to a head once more, even Mohinder's which has been one I've debated from the start. How much longer until we reach the climax? I assume about 7, no? The end of the first season. I never expected an American television show to be able to captivate me as this one has, but I admit I have been proven wrong, and I'm not displeased. Wonderful job creating and writing this installment. I can't wait for the next.
  • About time Claire stood up to him!!!!

I loved this episode. For me this show gets better by the episode. When she shouted at her father I was hoping that she would hit him or at least try to. Simone dying was a shock and I liked the way Isac killed her by mistake. Sylar is so creepy that its funny, he definatly makes the show better, his scenes with mohinder are great! Ending was brill, really want to know what happens next!
  • Fantastic Episode

Peter painfully learns that someone close may have betrayed him and Claude. Matt’s world spirals out of control when radioactive man Ted Sprague and Hana Gitelman (To find out more about Hana Gitelman, take a look at the Heroes comics for her back story), a fierce young woman with “wireless” mental abilities, drop into his life. After blood is spilled, Hiro makes a difficult decision about his mission. Claire is unable to contain her anger at her father. This was the first episode that really generated a feeling of drama and suspense; the use of off-center blurring in the scenes with Sylar highlights this feeling, and is a wonderful cinematic technique applied to the small screen.
  • Review

7.8
    Another episode, now back to back episodes, that havent done much to advance the story at all. Mohinder and Syler are traveling together to completly random people and then finding out what there powers are. The characters dont get a long time on the show - because Sylar kills them when Mohinder isn't around. I really don't see much point to the story arch of Mohinder and Syler considering that Syler is all ready one of the more powerful heroes in exsistance. Claires storyline also got boring - with her taking a visit to the hospital to take care of her mother who feel in the kitchen. The only really solid parts of the episode was the parts with Peter in it, with the shooting of Simone at the end sure to create even mroe of a rift between Peter and Isaac now that the woman they were fighting over is dead. Overall, simply an average episode for me.
  • A soap opera with a twist

The end of this episode seemed like so many dramas or soap operas but with a Heroes twist, with a family breaking apart, friends parting ways, betrayal, a death and a hostage situation.

A lot happened in this installment of Heroes, with Peter finally starting to control his abilities, Claire's life going to hell, Hiro sending Ando home, and of course Simone being shot and Isaac and Peter clearly blaming the other.

The twists in this episode are fantastic, with Mohinder unknowingly helping Sylar kill people, Matt teaming forces to attack HRG and Hiro getting his power back.

Overall, this is one of the best so far and a very entertaining contribution to the world of Heroes.
  • A cacophany....

Here you have a myriad of vignettes of various characters as the jigsaw puzzle that Heroes has become at this point, prompts the writers and viewers to arrange and then rearrange the various pieces to begin to reveal larger portions of the big picture. The episode also posits character turning points, where critical decisions are being made that will eventually impact the future.

It's difficult to quite see where they were going here but with the audience knowing a certain outcome in advance, the mystery and excitement is whether this will come to be or not... or even spawn some variant that is midway between the two.

If anything, the special effects and cinematography of this episode gives it an elegant look and illustrates visually, the abilities of the characters. These also serve to show character evolution through their actions rather than through their words.

A transitional episode that sets up for later episodes.
  • OMG what an episode!!!

Revealing Wow!!! Peter rulz!!! I love his power!!!! Whoa is that how the invisible man says thanks to Peter??? I don’t think Peter needs the invisible guys help, because when he used the cheerleader power all he had to do was think about them. I’m sure he can use their power by just think about them. Hopefully Peter would be able to control his power by the end of this season, I don’t want him to explode NY.

Wow!!! Claire was mad with her dad wasn’t she… whoa…
    Oh!!! Ted and Matt are holding the Bennet’s family hostage!!!! Cool and that was the end of the episode… awww… Have to wait till next week.

Man!!! Was Peter MAD when he saw Isaac!!! I don’t know whether I could say it was Peter or Isaac fault because if it wasn’t for Peter going invisible Isaac wouldn’t have done what he did and Isaac should have looked first. Oh welll…
  • In this episode Peter and Claude. Ted is meet by a new Hero who can download radio waves. Claire is very upset with her father over her mother's health problems. Matt is facing a dilemma. Mohinder unknowingly has Sylar accompanying him.

I am sooo upset that they killed off Simone. I loved the fact that a love triangle was going on between Peter, her and Issac. This sucks. What were they thinking. They could have at least put her in a coma and kept her in it, until they had use for her character. Geesh!!!!
    Not only that but, I love seeing interacial relationships going on from the AA woman's point of view. It was a great story that had great potential and they killed it. With no notice or anything. I still love Heroes and will continue to watch, but I was just a bit disappointed in how they got rid of Simone. What a waste.
  • Peter Flies Simone Dies

in Nevada, Ted Sprague sits in a remote cabin. He is mystified when someone contacts him via instant messenger on his laptop, even though he is not connected to the Internet. The mysterious person reveals herself as Hana Gitelman, an Israeli woman who can access wireless signals with her mind. She reveals to Ted the marks on their necks are used for tracking by Primatech Paper Co. Hana convinces him to come along, because she can find Mr. Bennett, and then Ted can blow him up.
    In New York, Isaac Mendez explains to Mr Bennet and The Haitian that Peter has become invisible. Mr. Bennet says that Peter, who absorbs the abilities of others, has come into contact with a man whom they thought was dead. They go to the Deveaux Building to track Peter down, leaving Isaac with a gun. Isaac asks what does he do with it. Bennet replies, "Save the world." On the roof of the Deveaux Building, Peter's training continues as Claude attacks him a long wooden staff to force Peter to defend himself; he does, using telekinesis to break Claude's staff. Peter theorizes that he absorbed the ability from Sylar when they met in Texas. Simone goes to Isaac's loft to again enlist his help in finding Peter, and Isaac tries to convince her to stay away from Peter since he is dangerous. He once again tells Simone to keep the key to his loft.
  • Peter Petrelli rocks!!!

This episode is one of the best I've seen in a very long time...The last episodes left me somewhat disappointed, because they were kind of a filler ones...Anyway, what I enjoyed more about this episode were the parts with my favorite character in "Heroes"-Peter Petrelli...Claude helps him understand his powers, helps him to learn the basics for controlling them, and I hope that in the next episodes I'll have more opportunities to see him in action...Peter is more powerful than Sylar, because he doesn't have to kill the heroes and take over their power, he only has to remember the character that had the power...And in this episode we are showed how he remembered a scene from the "Homecoming", when he was facing Sylar...It was enough to be able to use one of Sylar's abilities had-telekinesis...So excellent episode, from a great TV show.
  • Peter's getting so powerful!

Very exciting episode. Ted meets a new hero one with wireless abilites she can acces computers with her mind, it was pretty amazing.

Claude continues to train peter, he is slowly learning how to use his powers one by one, which i think is great and excting, cant wait to see Peter and Sylar face of, wonder who will win?

Claire cant hold back her anger any more and lets her father have it, since her mum is having memory problems cause Mr. Bennet has errased her memory so many times.

Finishes with Matt and Ted taking the Bennets hostage to finally find some answers.
  • good one

I'm so sorry for Claire. She's going through so much, I just hope that she'll get through it...
    Now that she's confronted her father, what will HRG (what does that stand for anyway???) do or say?
    And then Matt and Hana arrive threatening the Bennet family after they've learnt of HRG's involvement. What's up with that guy? For a moment I thought he was good, but he seems to be on the good side only when it's about protecting his daughter...
    I'm really worried about Mohinder. He's so determined to fulfill his father's destiny that he doesn't even realize that the danger is right in front of him. Sylar should just explode himself... damn it...
    Btw, finally we got to see Pete again and it wasn't pleasant. Did he remember Sylar's abilites and along with them his anger and hatred? He's not like that, please be good again, Peter. And what's with Simone? How on earth could that happen. It's all so confusing. I hope they'll deal with it eventually and not kill each other. Isaac and Peter I mean...
  • Good Episode

I thought that this episode of Heroes was a good episode. In this episode a lot of cool things happened like Peter being able to use which ever power he wanted and him flying with Claude and stopping bullets using telekinesis. Hiro went to find Ando with the gaming commission officer and was able to use his power but this time he reversed time with his eyes closed. Hiro told Ando to leave him after Ando gets shot and it seems as if Hiro is getting closer to his destiny. We meet a new hero named dale who is found by mohinder and newly partner Sylar. Sylar takes her power of super hearing it seems like it's not really helping him because as Dale said even the smallest sounds make the loudest noices. Ted and Hana meet Matt and tell him about their plan to find Mr. Bennet and at the end of the episode Peter and Issac get into a fight in which Peter turns invisible and Issac ends up shooting Simone. Overall this episode was great and I can't wait until next weeks episode.
  • Dale: "That sound in your heart. What is it?" Sylar: "Murder."

Mohinder's storyline certainly has gotten more interesting now that he's buddies with a serial killer. Sylar's a pretty good actor; he convinced Dale into listening to them, and he didn't even blink or appear uncomfortable when Mohinder talked about the man who brutally murdered his father. I liked Dale. She was one of the few Heroes truly embracing her powers, and I was sad to see her go. I'm surprised Mohinder didn't put two and two together and figure out where Sylar's sudden headaches came from.

Great acting from Hayden Panettiere this week as Claire finally confronted her dad. She was pretty pissed about the bruise on her mom's brain. I doubt her feelings towards Bennett will improve any time soon now that his profession has resulted in her family taken hostage.

Peter became very cool this week. He's learned how to tap into and control other Heroes powers from as far away as Texas. He's turning very powerful, which frightens me, since this week we got a brief glimpse of his dark side. He got black circles around his eyes when he was throwing Isaac around his studio, which vividly reminded me of Willow's descent into the dark arts on Buffy. Could the same thing be happening here? Peter appears to have his powers under control when he's calm, but what would happen if he got overly emotional? Such as if the woman he loved was killed.

And it looks like Claude could be out of the picture, at least for now. He seemed genuinely frightened of Bennett, which is interesting because the only side of Bennett we’ve truly seen up till now is the loving father/husband. Claude’s fear really makes me want to know all that Bennett is doing. (We may get some answers with next week's flashback episode.) Claude had a mark just like the rest of the gifted ones Bennett experimented on (which Ted identified this week as trackers) but Claude's was a lot bigger. An older model, perhaps?

Final Notes and Quotes

- Claude implied that he was using the pigeons on the Deveaux roof as an experiment.

- Did Sylar fly when he went to kill Dale? How is that possible?

- I bet Isaac and Peter are going to blame each other for Simone's death, which I might add truly surprised me.

- Aw, Hiro sent Ando away. Stan Lee (the bus driver) better make up for it.

- Where does Janet get off lecturing Matt about his morals ("Stealing, lying. This isn't you.") She's the one who cheated on him.

- Hiro: "Look! Not a scratch on the Versa!" Gee, could their product placement be a little more obvious?

- Simone: "Where Peter saw hope, you see disaster. Guess I'm voting for the other guy."

- Claire: "You don't just get to say you're sorry and make everything go away."

- Dale: "Damn. That was my best wrench."

Final Rating: This show just keeps on getting better and better. 4 out of 4 stars.

- Tim Bronx
    www.motionpicturereviews.com
  • Stan "The Man" Lee

The show gets better every episode. When you think it just can't... there it goes again. Stan Lee's brief cameo was classic, he can make an episode great with 5 seconds of dialog. They need to do more with Ando. He's in more episodes than any other character, but is not much more than background. I wonder if they'll ever go further with him, or will he be just a side kick for the remainder.
  • Evolution...

Nice episode. I really enjoyed Peter scenes. He is really learning how to use his ability and he is becoming one of the most powerful of them. Can't help to notice that he is kind of the good version of Sylar. He collects powers and uses them without hurting the other heroes. I wonder what would happen if he absorbs Nikki powers. Maybe in the future he is going to be the only one powerful enough to stop Sylar.
    I enjoyed a lot the scenes between Claire and his father, finally she said some things he deserved to hear.
    A lot of cliffhangers on this one, can't wait to see next episode.
< 1 2 3 4