Heroes

(Volume Three: Villains) The Second Coming

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Sep 22, 2008 on NBC

Episode Fan Reviews page 2 of 3

• I'm betting Nathan will pull a Bobby Ewing here...

4.5
    During the first ten-or-so minutes of this episode I was really excited and amazed by what a good job they were doing with the storylines. Then I quickly went to utterly disappointed, and stayed that way throughout most of the episode.

Having Future-Peter be the shooter was a really great move. I definitely didn't see it coming, it was a believable twist and a wonderful way of bringing the "we have to change the future we've seen" aspect into the whole thing. And I just loved seeing Claire be so worried about Nathan. One thing I felt last season lacked was development in the storyline between her and her biological father, and I would love, love, love to see more of that in this season.

After that though, it went south pretty quickly. Sylar stealing Claire's ability that way doesn't even make sense. For one she would have healed as fast as Peter did back in season one when Sylar dried to eat his brains. For another she would have grown a new scalp if the "original" was removed, as seen with the toe in season two. For a third - she's in California and he was in NYC, so how did he even get there in less than a day? I don't like the idea of Sylar having her ability because a villain who can't be killed isn't really that exciting. And besides, they did that with Adam last season. Bring in something new already!

Mohinder's storyline was just... weird. Since when has he really wanted an ability? And what was with his monologue at the end? I didn't understand half of it. Is it a tie-in to Nathan being born again (in more ways than one)? Having abilities be possible for anyone seems like a bad idea, since that takes the whole idea of people being special out of it. Mohinder's storyline developed in ways I really didn't like at all. And wasn't that a convenient way to get Molly out of the picture? Mohinder leaves her on an airplane off to destinations unknown. Come on.

Hiro's storyline was also quite dumb. Why on earth have they kept that piece of paper around if it's so dangerous? Buy a set of matches and be done with it. How come Hiro was such an idiot about the whole thing? And the future he saw felt like a rerun of the pilot. Plus, the new Future-Hiro is nowhere near as hot as the one from season one was. Hiro feels like he's on repeat at the moment; find something better for him to do, please.

Nathan's new found religion also came off as odd to me. It was just so sudden, somehow, and it felt weird for the character. Bringing Linderman back also felt like a bore. He was that kind of "villain" who worked best when you only heard of him and never met him.

Oh, and here's a question. If Peter has Claire's ability, wouldn't his blood be able to cure Nathan as good as Claire's?

I did think it was semi-cool though that future-Peter took the place of present-Peter. And what I really loved was the scene where Angela Petrelli finally reveals her power. I had figured that it was Papa Petrelli who dreamed the future, and that he killed himself after dreaming too much about the post-bomb stuff. And that Peter got the ability from him. I never suspected it was Ma Petrelli; I thought her ability was closer to Eden's than to Isaac's.

But overall, this episode seemed like it went out of control in so many different directions at once. Far too many scenes were out of character, not just for the actual characters but for the show. Personally I'm putting my money on it all being a dream sequence courtesy of Nathan.
  • Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's nothing else to say than awesome! I really loved it! Everything is developing so fast and the actors are really improving and the storyline is great! I love all those twists. So, Sylar took Claire's power. Those scenes of their fight were awesome! Sylar can be really scary sometimes! :) And I loved that part when Claire asked him if he's gonna eat it! Lol! So, seems like he is only examining brains, not eating them.
    I love that Future Peter twist, I think it's awesome! And Mohinder got powers that seem to be cool! All in all, I loved every second of this episode!
  • Heroes is Saved!!!

This season premiere of Heroes was amazing and very exciting to watch. it was just so fast paced fill with cool action scenes and horror scenes. This show has finally reached the point where we actually see the Heroes true potential. The scene with Sylar and Cliare where so cool and funny. The part with Claire saying "Are you going to eat my brian?" and then Sylar said "That's disgusting" that was so funny the fact that Sylar was examing her brian when she said it lol it was so funny. A lot of the characters developed into completely different characters this was intresting to watch and very refreshing cant waitto watch more of the awesome show.
  • A really good comeback! I dont care what any haters has to say...

Damn this was good! Really tense and dark and you could definitly sense a darker more sinister turn to this season or even volume to Heroes. Much better than half of season two. Back to the roots of the show and I loved almost every second of it.

The bad side was the time jumps were a little confusing but that's OK - at least for now. I read a couple spoilers so I knew who shot Nathan but it was still a little weird for it to be revealed straight away. Matt winds up in a desert. Hiro receives an important message from his father with humourous consequenses, Nathan is now religious and Sylar visits Claire...Ooooh, its getting good!
  • After a long wait, the show is back.

After a long wait, the show is back. During that wait I was out of the country working, so by the time I got back, the season was over. I watched this new season after it had already aired, so by the time I got my hands on it, I had forgotten a lot about the shows story up to this point. So for me, I was a bit worried I wouldn't remember things. I was thankful though for episode 0, because it reminded me of some of the things I had forgotten about. Warning, spoilers contained below.

When we saw that the future Peter is the person who shot Nathan, I have to say I was pretty shocked. Peter shooting his own brother? Maybe it has something to do with changing history for the better, because if Nathan reveals what he can do, everything will turn out like it did in the future. Either way, it's a drastic thing to do. This episode shows the return for a lot of people who supposedly died, but does nothing in the way to explain how. Basically, this episode gives us so many more unanswered questions, and doesn't really answer any. I liked the episode, it was excellent, I just hope that this season doesn't overdue it on the mystery and gives us some answers on the story.
  • Such a shame

After the rather unpopular volume 2, the Heroes writers knew they had to redeem themselves fast. Instead of story we got action. Tonnes of action. When I first saw this episode I loved it. Effects, powers... everywhere! Sylar back in full form... Claire getting her head sliced open (why was that so fun to watch, I mean come on she moans just a little bit too much!) and of course Future Peter. I still hope our wimpy Peter will become him in the future. At least if they axe the show can he become like this and kick Sylar's ass? Please??

In fact, this was probably the strongest season opener they had. Volume 4's opener showed promise, just not as much as this and volume 5's again could have been better. If only they had kept this up and made season 3 as superb as it could have been. Unfortunately the rest of Volume 3 wasn't so good. Arthur Petrelli didn't really work as a villian. Sylar bounced all over the place. Peter became a wimp. Nathen became insufferable. But of course the worst episodes by far where the Eclisp ones. Why, oh God, why? This unfortunately led to the horror that was volume 4 (it took alot of brain power to sit through that fiasco). A very good episode on the whole, where one cannot help but feel a slight regret.
  • Nathan's killer is revealed as Nathan himself miraculously recovers. Claire is "visited" by Sylar. Matt ends up in the desert, Hiro has a new quest and a new enemy, a woman looking like Niki is alive and well and Mohinder makes a deadly discovery.

The first chapter of the third volume kicks off with a bang.
    After Nathan is shot in the previous volume, he is transferred at the hospital while his killer turns out to be non-other than his brother from the future. A scene which takes place four years in the future between Claire and Peter reveals that something has distraught the Heroes universe and Peter's visit to the past to stop Nathan from making his speech seemed to be the only way. At the hospital, Nathan comes back to life and believes that his recovery was a touch by God, while he is having some strange visits from a man thought to be dead since volume 1. Peter realizes that Nathan has changed his mind of going public about special people and decides his work is done. Angela however reveals to him that she knows Peter is not present Peter but future Peter in transformation and urges him to go back to his time because he has done a big mistake by changing the present. Angela's power is revealed and also present Peter's position.
    Claire is visited by Sylar and after a series of scenes (which are very very good and remind you of horror movies especially Halloween) Sylar captures Claire and receives her ability. This scene is important for mainly three reasons. One Sylar's way of acquiring abilities is revealed in this episode (he observes the brain and thus the way the ability works on the person and replicates it himself). Two is the revelation of Sylar to Claire that she is special and can't be killed by any means an issue which will arise in later episodes and three Claire's words when Sylar is examining her brain that she can't feel pain (when she used to) an issue which will be the main focus on Claire's story this volume.
    Matt discovers Nathan's killer but Peter sends him in the middle of a desert.
    Mohinder trying to help Maya and remove her ability, creates a formula which gives ordinary people powers. Maya is scarred by what that discovery will do to the world and when Mohinder decides to get rid of the only vial he re-considers and injects himself with the formula. The result is that he now has a power of his own.
    Hiro is at Yamagato Industries when a message send by his father from the beyond through a dvd reveals to him and Ando their next quest. to guard the contents of his safe and to never open the safe itself. Disregarding, his father's wish not to open it, Hiro finds an envelope in the safe containing another disc and a piece of paper. His father reveals that the paper is a part of a formula which should never fall into the wrong hands. At that moment, a speedster takes the paper and when Hiro meets the speedster by freezing time she takes off by knocking him down. Determined to save the world once more, Hiro travels to the future to see what has happened in order to prevent it (much like what he did in volume 1, chapter 20: five years gone). There he sees a world of chaos, Ando killing Hiro with a power and an explosion of Tokyo. Realizing that all that happen because of the formula, Hiro takes off with Ando to take it back.
    Finally, a woman looking a lot like Niki is found to be alive and well and named Tracy. Both her and a mysterious man find some interest in Nathan when watching him on TV.
    Overall a great premiere, one suited for Heroes. Revelations that we never expected to see. All the major characters appear in this episode which is a rare sight. Key facts: Sylar's way of killing, Claire's revelation that she can't feel pain, Linderman's return, Angela's power (seen more in the next episode and much later) and a story which is more compelling that one would ever thought and with much more adrenalin. Enjoy!
  • Season 3 starts with a bang, filled with shocking events, revelations and a horrifying new quest.

After the somewhat slow season 2 (the evil writers strike has much to answer for, especially when you see on the DVD what season 2 was going to be!), the first episode of season 3 packs in so much it's hard to believe it's all in one episode!

4 Years in the future – Peter with the scar again except he's not as dark. Claire, on the other hand, looks seriously scary. Then we find out Nathan's shooter is none other than Peter himself!! The only reason can be to stop Nathan exposing them. Which means the future still happened, Nathan causes them to be hunted. Future Peter was desperate enough to kill his own brother. The first time, it was really Sylar posing as Nathan but it happened again and this time apparently Nathan really was responsible, however good his intentions and it's all is tied to Nathan's going public.

What bothered me about season 2 was Claire's complete lack of contact with Nathan (season 1 did so much building up of their fledgling relationship) but that is immediately fixed here - Claire sees her father shot and immediately phones her uncle. I'm surprised it too her so long to start packing! And who's behind door number 1? Our old friend Sylar! This guy doesn't give up easily!

Like a cockroach, Sylar survived season 2 without his powers and now that they're back, Sylar gets his priorities in order: he needs Claire's healing power. But this is the problem with a power like Claire's – it's completely defensive and against someone with an offensive power, she's defenseless. Sylar's attack is seriously freaky, not to mention weird – we've seen various powers he has but here he seems to appear and disappear at will, since when does he have that power?!

A major question about Sylar is addressed – the only obvious answer for why he would take someone's brain would be to eat it, how else would he consume the power? But apparently not. Hannibal the Cannibal has nothing on this guy! Cutting the top of Claire's head off, poking around in her brain?! Wow, that was disgusting. Then the most puzzling bit of all – he's obviously taken her power but he lets her live and she still has her power! Then Sylar tells her a secret that Adam already knows – she's immortal. Just as an experiment, I'd like someone to try cutting one of the immortal's head off, that kills most things. Would it work on them? Explains why Hiro didn't kill Adam, merely burying him alive.

Mohinder has decided again to go back to India! Will he stop that! Unfortunately, Maya is still hanging around Mohinder, whining about a cure. What does she need a cure for?! She can control her power now! She is incredibly annoying, hope they write her out soon. Mohinder suddenly figures out that the powers are connected to adrenaline… is this the first time he's noticed that?! Look at anyone with offensive powers! Peter, Nathan, Ted… whenever they are threatened, upset or scared, their powers manifest. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, he hasn't spent that much time around those with offensive powers so he hasn't had much experience observing how it works.

Mohinder's excitement is obvious but it's not for the reason we think – he hasn't found a cure, he's found a way to *give* powers to anyone!! Does he hear what's coming out of his mouth?! He raves on about how everyone could have powers – can you imagine what chaos that would cause? We've seen the level of some of the powers – Ted, for example – instead of a handful of truly dangerous people, you could have millions! Mohinder's lost his mind! Mankind would wipe itself out in a year! Is this discovery what creates the future Peter came from? Mohinder's talking about playing God!

On a lighter note, Hiro, mission complete, actually went home but some things don't change – Ando. Raving about Hiro's fleet of jets, "I can teleport, remember?" When his father died, Hiro must have inherited everything, being his father's only son. Hopefully to continue the parental generation storyline, Hiro's father left a DVD about his 'destiny'. But this secret has a surprise attached – Hiro's father mentions a sacred duty which was not only his, but his father's as well. And the sacred duty is… 'never open the safe'. Huh? That was a letdown. Of course, the surest way to get someone to do something is to tell them *not* to do something…

Kaito talks about how one of them will be the 'light'. It's obvious who that is – Maya. The alternate storyline for season 2 had the virus being released and Maya being the only one who could stop it. Since that storyline didn't go ahead, this must be Plan B. And then Hiro lets the formula get stolen by a girl with a power similar to his, she moves faster than the eye can see.

Future Peter has a new power – Candice's shapeshifting power, must have inherited it from Sylar. Posing as our Peter, he goes after Nathan again but hesitates when Nathan doesn't go public, instead appears to get religion. Oh, please no! You can't turn my beautiful Nathan into some religious nut! Future Peter stays by Nathan's side, making sure he's changed the future. "I don't expect you to understand what I did to you, but I hope that someday you'll forgive me." Now where's our Peter? Next shock: Linderman's alive?! And the mystery of Nathan's miracle is explained. I have always had such respect for Nathan but I'm impressed – pretend to have a religious epiphany… and explain away the unexplainable.

New character – and he's cozy with… it's not Niki, it's not Jessica, since both are intimately acquainted with Nathan and yet she doesn't recognize him.

And then here we go again… Hiro travels to the future to see what's going to happen so he can come back and stop it. We see the unthinkable – Ando and Hiro as enemies and Ando blasts Hiro with red lightning! This is the future Mohinder will create. And who is really surprised that the first person Mohinder injects is himself? And what is his power? Super strength.

Angela shows up at Nathan's bedside and knows instantly that this Peter is not our Peter. I always knew the clairvoyant dreams had to come from her, she was the only person with powers (other than Nathan) that he was around and his father died before his first power manifested. Angela says he's started a different future in motion and his powers are definitely expanded, he has somehow put Peter inside one of the prisoners at the Company's facility. There's another familiar face – Bennet. Sylar is on his way to the facility, the three files showing the very prisoner Peter now inhabits. Should he succeed, Sylar will certainly get a surprise. So many powers in one place.

Future Peter dumped poor Matt in the desert! He's a friend, Peter! Okay, granted in one version of the future he was the enemy but this is uncalled for! He sees a symbol, the same symbol that is behind Mohinder – is it a new symbol or a different version of the old one?

Wow! Talk about info overload. Season 3 starts with a vengeance, filled with shocking events, revelations and a horrifying new quest. While far more aggressive than the series has been so far, it is impressive how much was accomplished in a single episode while laying *all* of the groundwork for the rest of the season. Though far from perfect (we've seen Heroes at it's best), I can't see how I can give it less than a 10.
  • Sylar and Claire's scene best part in the episode.

While Matt discovers the identity of the person who shot Nathan, Sylar seeks Claire to help restore his abilities and Hiro learns of a secret about the Nakamura family that could have dire consequences on the world. Well, I thought that season two of Heroes wasn't as good as one, and I was abit worried thinking that season three wont be good, but I was totally wrong. Great start to a bigger and better season. The scene were Sylar and Claire is amazing and just sets the tone for the rest of the season. All in all better start that season two, which is a good start.
  • In the much deserved return of 'Heroes', the identity of Nathan's assassin is revealed, while Claire gets a visit from Sylar, Hiro begins a new quest and Mohinder discovers something incredible.

As soon as the episode began I was completely hooked, from the beginning, where we see Peter running for his life, to the very end where a sinister painting of the world splitting in half (resembling the mysterious helix) looms ominously on an abandoned warehouse.

The most interesting storyline, as per usual, was yet again Claire's, who, stalked through the Bennet household finally gets caught by the infamous Sylar.
    The whole sequence involving Claire cautiously moving around the house, wielding a kitchen knife was superbly directed, and was one of the best scenes that the creators behind 'Heroes' has ever presented us with. Many returning series on TV do have, like Heroes, interesting plot developments and characters, but none have ever had such a great comeback like Heroes has this year.

The Bennet household was an absolutely perfect place to set Sylar's cruel game of cat and mouse. The atmosphere of the dark, empty, large house was amazingly effective and gave the scenes a very tense and uncomfortable feeling.

Containing aspects of horror classics such as 'Halloween' and 'Friday the 13th', 'The Second Coming' surprisingly yet successfully, manages to create a strong sense of fear.

My heart was literally in my mouth, every time Claire moved I whined, 'No don't go in there, don't go over there!' and 'Christ, he's behind youuuuuu!' Going straight into the action may not sit well with some fans, but I thought it worked extremely well and set the tone perfectly for the whole of Volume 3.

Hiro's story line was also very interesting. I am happy to say that Ando and Hiro are back together again once again (unlike in season 2 when the comedy duo were painfully separated by Hiro's somewhat tedious trip to feudal Japan) and were the main suppliers of many laughs in this episode.

The Speedster was an interesting new character (from what we saw of her, with her ability being super speed) and a great nemesis for the naïve Hiro.

Peter, Nathan, Matt, Mohinder and Maya also return in this episode with pretty good storylines, but they are not as entertaining as Claire's and Hiro's.

Finally we see a very familiar face, 'Who's that?' we ask. Nikki? Jessica? or perhaps even Gina.

'The Second Coming' has been a very promising start for Season 3 with interesting plotlines, great direction, and above all…Sylar's back!

It looks like Heroes just got a whole lot better…
  • A new volume!

This episode was so awesome, after this whole long wait, the wait is over, I like how Sylar reveals after one whole year that he is still alive, to Claire. Leaves a cliffhanger for Claire, why is she special, different from the others? Guess we just have to find out. Maya returns with Suresh, I suspect romance between the two. Mohinder has powers, whoa. I guess this whole serum is a key to the whole volume. How did Nikki become Tracy? There is still some plot holes, but hopefully they reveal it in the next episode. It was a bit confusing, but I understood it in the end. Great premiere!
  • Great start to a bigger and better season!

The episode begins four years into the future. Peter Petrelli, who has a scar on his face, is being chased and enters a hangar. Claire tries to shoot him, but Peter stops time and time travels to the present day. At Nathan's press conference, future Peter shoots Nathan, as in "Powerless". Present-day Peter and Matt Parkman chase future Peter through the building, but future Peter appears to have escaped. Peter rushes Nathan to the hospital, and although he dies, he comes back to life after Peter kisses him on the forehead. Peter encounters Matt, who catches him trying to find the gun future Peter hid. Peter's scar reappears, and he tells Parkman that he is from the future and teleports Matt away because he knows too much. Matt wakes up in the desert, with no one in sight. As he walks across the desert, he stops in front of a rock where the picture of the earth exploding is painted. Nathan walks out of the hospital to a church next door. A crew of news reporters follow him, and Nathan gives a short speech about how he was saved by God. Peter leaves, and Nathan gets another visitor: Linderman. The governor of New York learns about Nathan on the television, and tells Tracy, who looks identical to Niki Sanders, that he thinks he has found who he is looking for. Angela Petrelli visits Nathan in the hospital. She knows that future Peter is impersonating his past self, and tells Peter that he got the ability to dream the future from her. Future Peter tells Angela that he put his present day self somewhere safe. At the Company headquarters, in one of the Level 5 prison cells, a bald man screams that he is Peter Petrelli. Noah Bennet is also locked up in an adjacent cell.

Claire watches the news reports about Nathan when Sylar arrives at her home. Claire hits him on the head with a blunt object and tries to escape, but Sylar blocks her with telekinesis, effectively trapping her in the house. While Claire hides in a closet, Sylar finds Noah's files for villians. He decides he will target them as his next victims. He is stabbed by Claire, but he pins her against the wall with telekinesis, and starts cutting open her forehead. This act is his standard procedure, and usually kills the victim; due to Claire's power, she does not die. She remains conscious as Sylar lays her on a table and examines her now-exposed brain, claiming he is looking for answers. Although Claire does not feel the pain.When he finds what he is looking for, he places her skull back on and she heals, surprised he is not going to kill her.

In his office at Yamagoto Industries in Japan, Hiro tells Ando that he is bored without a quest. A video message from is delivered to his office, which tells Hiro to never open Kaito's safe, which holds a secret. Hiro immediately opens the safe, and finds another video, with Kaito repeating that he was not supposed to open the safe. Hiro finds one half of a molecular formula, which gets stolen by a blur before he can comprehend what it means. Hiro stops time to see that the blur is a trail left by Daphne, a speedster. Daphne moves at normal speed while time is stopped, and comments that Hiro did not stop time completely. She hits him in the face and leaves with the formula as time resumes. Hiro jumps to the future to see how the world is destroyed. He sees Japan in a panic, and himself talking to Ando, arguing about the formula. Future Hiro yells at Ando saying that Ando betrayed him. Future Hiro is ready to strike with his sword, when Ando shoots what appears to be red electricity at Hiro, apparently killing him. Ando takes the formula from Hiro's body and walks away. The sky opens up and the world starts exploding, and Hiro jumps back to the present.

Maya and Mohinder are at his apartment and he realizes that powers are controlled by the adrenal glands. Mohinder thinks he has isolated something that controls powers, and could give powers to anybody. Maya says the powers are a curse, and asks him to destroy the formula. On the docks, Mohinder considers throwing away the syringe with the formula. Instead, he injects himself, and collapses. Two muggers attempt to accost Mohinder as he lays semiconscious on the ground. However, he exhibits superhuman strength, repelling the thugs. In the background, there is a giant painting of the Earth exploding from the inside - the same picture seen by Matt on the desert rock.
  • Amazing premiere to one of the best tv series!

I'll wrap this review up by simply telling you what happens in this episode. We start by finding out who the shooter of Nathan Petrelli is and it turns out to be his brother, Peter but..... future Peter. It also turns out Lingerman is still alive, how he's alive we do not yet know but he is and he bought Nathan back from the dead. Future Peter sends Parkman to a dessert in the middle of no where. Nathan decides not to expose everbody's secrets in a speech. A formulae hidden in a safe by the Nakamura family history is revealed to Hiro Nakamura. This speedy women snatches it off Hiro and punches him and gets away. Hiro goes to the future to see what happens, he sees that Ando has bad ass powers and uses it against Hiro to get the formulae. What I don't understand is why the Nakamura's didn't make any copies....
    Meanwhile, Suresh injects himself with an injection which gives him powers. We now see him with super strength. Nikki appears to be helping an old man, a man that we don't know yet but all she seems to be doing is giving him a petticure/massage. Great start to a series which keeps on getting better every season! Season 1 was fascinating, season 2 even better and we're at the start of Season 3
  • YATA!! Heroes is back with a bang

This Episode Should Be Put Down In History As One Of The Best First Episodes of a season ever! Tim Kring brings genius to every word said by the heroes. Future Peter's scenes just show that Milo Ventimiglia is a true actor that can rise to any challenge put to him. Hayden Panettiere and Zachary Quinto together caused a rather disgusting but brilliant handful of scenes. The chemistry between Daphne and Hiro is just pure genius and Heroes would never be the same again if Hiro and Ando didn't get their time on screen. Mohinder getting powers was an amazing scene. Plus, Nathan discovering God was possibly one of the most surreal things a show has ever done to such a hard character.
  • After a long wait, Heroes is back!

A good episode, good, but not exactly great....

Right off the bat, we find out who shot Nathan. The beginning sequence is in my opinion, the best part of the episode.
    The Second Coming answered some questions and posed some new ones. First there's the whole Nathan thing, the formula, the future, etc. It's a decent setup for the rest of the season, even though some of the things in the episode were just plain stupid.

Pros:
    . Sylar is back and power-hungry -- literally.
    . Daphne. I really like her character for some reason.

Cons:
    . The relative plot hole and continuity error rears its ungly head.

Favourite Moment: When Future Peter comes back and shots Nathan.

Lessons Learned? Don't mess with Future Peter....
  • Heroes is saved...

• The start of season 3 is awesome, last seasons loose ends get tied up, and it's genius.

Milo is great as future-Peter, and as he starts trying to undo the past, he'll be running into some problems.
    First it turns out, future-Peter shoots Nathan :shock: , than Nathan ends up dead at the Hospital, but is brought back to life by Peter(who kisses him on the forehead), Claire wants to come over, but Peter convises her not to come. The next moment is a setup for Hiro and Ando's next quest, it deals with a half of an important formula. After which Sylar visits Claire who's home alone(with mr. Muggles), and he has come to take her power(OH NO!!!!). Mohinder makes a breakthrough in figuring out where the powers come from, and starts injecting himself to also have super-powers. There's more, but I'm having trouble maintaining the timeline, all in all, a great wrap up of last season's questions, and a great setup for the new season, I can't wait to see how this develops. :D
  • One of My Favourite Episodes of Heroes Ever!

• I have a strong suspicion this show isn't as clever as I have given it credit for.

Quite tedious, I cant help feeling we have seen all this before. The writers like to dole out the information in little pieces hoping it will pique our interest but instead it feels like there is never going to be any payoff. Is it really worth putting the time into the next series?

Many things to dislike in this ep unfortunately. Hiro it seems is so desperate for a mission that he has to go out and threaten the 'heroes' on purpose so he can save them. Very out of character and sloppily done.

Then we get a look into the future and Peter is on the run, and who is trying to kill him? The person least likely of course, Clare. Then Hiro jumps into the future and who is double crossing him? Of course, Ando. Alias did the whole 'no one can be trusted' thing to death and it got tedious.

Moving on, the world is threatened again and whose fault is it? Nathan's. Sound familiar? Is anyone else bored? Of course all tv shows do the same thing over and over again. Jack Bauer is always going to save the day for eg, but the trick is making it interesting along the way. The writers are trying, with that recurring picture as an example, but they really didn't hit the mark in this episode.

Even the relatively new characters are dull. Maya just isn't as compelling without her brother, and I have to say her outfit was ridiculous -- little top and tiny shorts, not very subtle. But I guess not much about this episode was.

Sylar picking through Clare's brain is case in point, but it did provide the highlights of the episode -- Clare's brain being different is the only real intrigue and Sylar's 'that's just gross Clare' line was the only laugh, but it was so out of the mood of the show that it felt awkward.

I really hope it gets better from here. And bring back Elle.
  • A promising return.

It'd be an understatement to say that Heroes has had a bad year. Its breakout season ended on an anticlimactic note and the second season was bogged down by unimportant plot lines and a lack of momentum. Before it could prove itself, the writers' strike happened and cut the season in half. When the writers went back to work, Heroes opted not to return in the spring because their demanding post production meant too few episodes to bother. Adding insult to injury, Heroes had to stew in the breakdown lane figuring out how to get back on track as Lost was doing victory laps while blasting "Machine Gun" by the Commodores in their best season yet. While Heroes isn't on Lost's level, it still can be very entertaining (a similar analogy can be made between Prison Break and 24), but they lost their way. Not to mention the lack of momentum didn't help this episode. However, this reboot has a lot of potential of reviving the popcorn fun of the first season.

The reveal that Peter from the future shot Nathan is pretty satisfying. In 2011, Peter (here after will be referred to as Future Peter) travels back to the moment where Nathan comes out as an evolved human. Apparently, this moment sets off a chain of events leading to a future where evolved humans are hunted and killed, and Claire wants to blow Peter's brains out. I'm inclined to believe that Claire, despite dying her hair black to imply that she's gone bad, is still good and that Peter is bad. Really Peter couldn't go back a little further and convince Nathan not to go ahead with the press conference? He has to shoot him?

Contrast Future Peter's tactics to Future Hiro. Future Hiro presumably spent a long time learning the rules of his time travel so as not to create a rift. He even makes sure to be careful how he words his warnings. Future Peter, however, shoots his brother twice within minutes of his arrival. It's almost like that "Treehouse of Horror" where Homer goes crazy in prehistoric times after failing to reverse his mistakes in careless time traveling.

Future Peter messing things up in the present paired with Hiro's brief encounter in the future bring up the important issue of whether time travel is an overused device on the show. So far it's been done four times, three of them involving Hiro. While it is a valid complaint, the uses are brief (Hiro seeing his death) or done in an interesting angle (Future Peter as a major character). Seeing that two characters can bend space and time, this is going to be part of the show until both of them leave and that is unlikely.

Much like the one in "Five Years Gone", Future Peter is more adept at using his powers than present Peter. He can transport people to different sides of the world like Matt or their consciousness into another person like Peter. He also helps override a lot of those plot contrivances where a problem exists only because Peter doesn't use one of his powers, like him blocking Matt's attempt to read his mind. It doesn't explain why he doesn't heal that scar, which is really more the classic identifier of who's from the alternate reality.

This Peter also brings up interesting questions about his powers. Peter has so many powers and presumably encounters more that it'd be easy to be corrupted. The only problem he faces is decapitation, and several of his other powers can easily avoid that problem. So he gets greedy and thinks he can do whatever he wants, leading to disastrous repercussions.

After Nathan is shot, he is presumed dead when suddenly he makes a full recovery. Now how that is possible is left for some speculation. Future Peter doesn't try to inject some of his blood, which would surely help like Claire's or Adam's. Then we see Linderman in Nathan's hospital room. Since he can heal the wounded, it'd make sense that that's what saved Nathan, except DL scrambled Linderman's brain months earlier. Whatever the reason behind Linderman's presence, seeing Malcolm McDowell back is more than welcome.

With his figurative but not literal bullet dodging, Nathan is thinking that he is "born again". It may be a slightly annoying angle, but it does garner the attention of the Governor of New York, who sees him as a fitting candidate to fill the vacated space in the Senate. While the plans of Angela and Linderman in season one didn't pan out, they may get their second chance here. Nathan may be willing to be plied for a higher power as he has for political reasons.

Not directly addressed in the premiere is Niki, last seen in an exploding building in New Orleans. Here she appears to be mistress of the New York Governor, under the name "Tracy". It would be a safe assumption that this is another personality like Jessica or Gina, but the lack of explanation of how she got there, not to mention the missing Micah and Monica, raises some suspicions.

Hiro, who apparently runs his father's company rather than his more involved sister, is growing restless and looking for another adventure. So learning that his father had a secret safe containing a formula that could create devastating consequences for the world that he has to protect and never open no matter what, his curiosity gets the best of him (as his father predicted), leaving it exposed and ready for Daphne's taking.

Daphne, who looks a little too much like Kristen Bell, is poised to be a counter to Hiro. While she can't stop time, she is fast enough to override Hiro's ability and that is certainly interesting. She must have a way not to run full speed into a wall and liquefy herself. It wouldn't be hard to believe she uses her power like Hiro's and can actually slow time, enabling her to appear to be going at super speed. Whatever it is, it's an effective way of stealing the formula, leaving two questions: who wants it, and how did they figure out when it'd be vulnerable.

Instead of going back to the past to ask Kaito what exactly is the formula and what does it do, he travels ahead to see if it is as bad as his father believed and witnesses Tokyo as it is literally collapsing. He finds another Future self arguing with Ando, who presumably kills him with a shot of red lightning. So this leads us to the likely conclusion that Ando will get a taste of this serum Mohinder's concocting. It's also going to make things awkward, as Hiro now believes that Ando's going to betray him. That's a good observation, but like Future Claire and Future Peter, looks can be deceiving. We've been told some of our heroes will engage in more villainous activities, and really Hiro would be the biggest fall.

It'd be a safe guess to assume that this formula ties into Mohinder's serum of unknown powers. While Mohinder is ready to get on board with a breakthrough that could give anyone powers Maya, who somehow managed not to get hit by a bus in the first two minutes of the episode, serves as the counter to that argument. While some may get powers that serve a good purpose like regeneration, they could also get Ted's and go nuclear. However, Mohinder could care less at this point and wants to take it for a test drive. While his power wards off his would be attackers, they are likely going to lead to major trouble, like what causes Tokyo to lose power and collapse in the near future.

In Kaito's video, he mentions a "light" that can help avert the disaster this formula can unleash. Here it sounds almost certain that that light is Claire with her conversation with Sylar after he gains her power. While Sylar's killed all his victims to steal their powers, he can't do it with Claire, claiming she's more special than the others and that she (and now he) can't die. Sylar likely doesn't know Adam's exception to that rule where decapitation becomes unrecoverable, but maybe Claire's regeneration has improved over centuries as one more advanced than Adam's.

After two seasons, Sylar and Claire have the showdown Isaac predicted and Sylar gains her power. The Claire and Sylar scenes clearly mimic Halloween down to Claire hiding in the closet. This is reminiscent of the early Sylar stuff before Zachary Quinto was cast and detracts a bit from him as a villain. Also, how does Sylar blow up the light fixture?

Not to mention the complete lack of connecting Sylar in the gutter curing himself to him across the country at the Bennet house. This may have something to do with the strike curtailing last season. Originally Sylar wasn't going to appear at all in Volume Three while Quinto was working on Star Trek. This could work, but with that cut storyline, his abrupt arrival feels like a rewrite without rereading thoroughly.

This is the first time Sylar's power retrieval process is shown and it may be a bit disappointing. He just pokes at her brain until he finds the right spot. Then again, Sylar grabbing the brain and suddenly getting a rush of power wouldn't work either. Sadly, those hoping for him to eat brains will never get their moment as he dismisses it as "disgusting".

Sylar gaining Claire's regeneration gives him another boost against Peter, even if Peter knows the one thing a regenerator can't survive. By the end, Sylar reveals he has an ulterior motive for stealing the power besides the obvious. Sylar now has a "shopping list" of abilities of the most powerful, dangerous men The Company have under their control and now few have the power to stop him.

Unfortunately, the big reason behind Sylar's shopping spree isn't revealed in the episode. As staff writer Remy Minnick and executive producer Jonah Weiland said in a chat on CBR news, Sylar lost all the powers he gained throughout the first season except for his telekinesis because of the Shanti virus. This should've been included, or at least made more explicit, as it makes Sylar's motivation more interesting than him just getting more powers for their own sake.

One of the big elements of this season's advertising was the hype over Level 5 ("Where evil resides", the ads promise). Here they are cells not much different than what we've seen in Primatech. Bennet is one of the prisoners, as if The Company would let him back with no reservations after what he's done. Another, claiming to be Peter, is played by Francis Capra, who was on Kristen Bell's previous show Veronica Mars. The one that I'm really excited about is Knox, played by Jamie Hector. Hector's best known for playing Marlo Stanfield on The Wire, and he was stone cold evil on that. Every other character on The Wire had some degree of redemptive characteristics, but not Marlo. He'd kill anyone who looked at him wrong.

So while some things in this first episode don't work, it's a step in the right direction. The stories are moving ahead with enough speed that the uneven elements are easy to forgive, much like Heroes is at its best. Hopefully this season gels faster and in a more entertaining way than the last.
  • A great start of the third season.

I didn't like the start of the second season. But with the start of the third season. all that changed. there's a lot of things going on in the first episode titled "The Second Coming. first off, I love the claire of the future. she is sexy looking and darker. But off the bat we knew who the shooter. I though it would be a few episode like that "who shot JR episode of Dallas back in 1980. But that didn't happen. Matt chases the shooter who in turn send him to Africa. Hiro got a new villain. agirl who can go fast at the speed of light. Syler broke into claire's house.
  • Heroes starts getting back to its feet.

Season 2 was a real disappointment. I'm happy to see things are getting back to its track.

Ok, we have Future-Peter again, still with his scar (how did he get it on that timeline ?) However, as far as I'm concerned, he is just an excuse to get the ball rolling again.

This is not my favorite episode (that would be Company Man). However, this episode alone is better than all episodes of the Season 2.

One can hope the writes will get back on track after 2 breaks (and a strike), and we will see Heroes improving from here on.

Definitively a successful recovery.
  • Was expecting more...

For all the time i have been waiting for the new season to start i was kinda disappointed. I was expecting more, and since has been so long that the last season ended i was kinda lost in the beginning of this episode because i didnt remeber all that had happened in the last one.
    I was expecting some better. I was annoied to see Maya still exist and i wonder how she lost her accent so quickly :) did Mohinder helped ???? hehehe
    Anyway, i just really hope that the season gets better because i was disappointed with this episode of heroes.
  • A u turn in what made heroes good

I'm not arguing with the overall quality of the show as of series 3 but several things have changed heroes from being unique to being a bit more run of the mill.
    Firstly, heroes is too much like x-men now that the whole origin of powers has been demystified( similiar to how Star wars demystified the force).The show is now less independent, especially with the whole 'being able to give and take powers business'. Secondly, powers are being repeated too much. For example there are at least 3 ppl who have had future vision and the show has become too fast moving to portray any story twist in a meaningful way.
  • So far so good!

Well the third season did a lot more better than the last season of the show. As usually sophmore sesons don't do as good. But in the end, the sophmore ending of the show did pretty well. To pick off where the show left off last time. I hate it that Clare's powers were taken by that evil Skylar. And that Skylar will be a main focus as he is the main antagonist of the series. Barnone! The Peter twist I think really had nothing to do nor was anybody's cup of tea. As one reviewer as said. But you never know about these things, now do you?!
  • There's a lot of holes, but it's alright

After waiting for months with no end, the premiere finally came. In case if you were busy checking out Dancing With the Stars or 2 1/2 Men, here's what happened. Future Peter is about to become Future Claire's next victim when he goes back in time to "make things right." We find out that he was the one who shot his brother in present-day and in the process did some shady things, such as sending Matt to Africa and putting the real Peter in a level 5 prisoner's body. Also noteworthy was the introduction of Hiro's new nemisis, Daphne; and the dreaded return of Sylar, America's favorite villain. Meanwhile, after recovering from the shooting, Nathan has a spiritual reawakening while Tracy Strauss is, wait for it, Niki! Finally, Hiro sees in the future that Ando betrays him in the midst of apocalypse in Tokyo, which would leave a major dent in their friendship

Oh Yeah (pros):
    I cannot stop raving how awesome Future Claire is in this episode. Panettiere clearly enjoyed played this complex, deadly and psycho incarnation of her character and I salute Tim Kring for introducing her on the show. Also, after waiting for a year, we see Hiro come back to his comic roots, getting into mischief as the CEO of Yamagato Industries. Finally, we get to see a Sylar that most people probably haven't seen before when he spares Claire life after all that work scalping her, while giving the most hilarious line of the season so far: "Eat your brains? Claire, that's disgusting!" Oh boy.... (cons):
    There are a lot of holes in the plot; i.e. how the hell Niki came back from that blast in New Orleans. Also, considering that this show is called villains, the people from level 5 only had brief appearances, kinda disappointing IMO. Also, I have no idea how Mohinder would want to gain powers when he should be helping out Maya. Finally, I really didn't get why Nathan had to have some spiritual reawakening, it just pushes things to the boundaries.

Bottom Line:
    So far alright, but the second hour could bring this show right where it belongs (see my review under The Butterfly Effect)
  • Terrible, simply terrible...

It's old news that Heroes is far from making sense but at least I felt more or less entertained during the first season.

The second season though was the beginning of what appears to be a complete mess. The writing was ridiculous throughout the last season, that I think is well known. Even the writers themselves apologized for the crap they put on paper.

Just when I began to believe that this show could become acceptable again it gets even worse.
    It all seemed so random and forced. Really pathetic.. just really, really pathetic.

As I said before Heroes managed to entertain me somehow.. but now even that is gone. I was bored to hell. I just wished it would end halfway through.. too bad it didn't.

1/10
  • Not as bad as the haters say, but still some glaring problems...*SPOILERS*

The Season 3 premiere of Heroes was stellar, from an action standpoint. Tons of action, good special effects, fast pacing (a bit too fast, in fact); all of the problems from the previous season seem to have been addressed and rectified. The writers appear to have done a disservice to their characters that they've worked so hard to develop in the process, however.

Take Mohinder, for example. He's been developed as a intellectual genius who always exercises the utmost caution in any situation and has always done the "right thing". I had heard that Mohinder might acquire powers this season somehow, and when I heard him talk about the formula, I was thinking that he would eventually use it under duress or in a situation where he had no choice but to save someone that he cared about, a subplot that would develop over several episodes as his naturally cautious air would be broken down by an emergency. But no, the VERY next scene, we get the suddenly power-hungry Mohinder injecting himself at the docks and climbing up the walls like Peter Parker the very next day. There are a few other examples of this, this being the most egregious.

The other complaint I have pertains to the plot devices. In a George Lucas-esque manner, the writers seem to be unable to expand the core plot of the Heroes universe beyond a few characters, who all just happen to be related. Ok, Nathan is Claire's dad; one big familial revelation, fine, but now Angela Petrelli is the mother of Sylar? We're getting into shark jumping territory right there. It's clear that this twist was not planned from the beginning of the series and was just added for the sake of the big premiere. The introduction of a group of villains is a plus, and the story has promise, but can we please stop with all the random and contrived coincidence? We get it, they're connected.

The bottom line is, this episode wasn't as bad as some say; I think the positive elements made up for the flaws.
  • A great start to hopefully a series that will be much better than the last!

This opening episode continued at a much faster pace than the previous series. It opens with a scene from the future (including a very slick looking Claire and future Peter). The episode soon sets up the now familiar must-save-the-world plot and re introduces Sylar-scary-villian-uno. It wasn't the most engaging Heroes episode ever but full of promise. Also, Heroes never slows to explain which is great - depending on the viewer to pick up the subtleties on the way.

A quirky new hero is introduced - a chick with super-speed. Overall this episode laid down the groundwork without slowing up like Season 2 and fortunately we were not burdened with a gazillion new heroes (like season 2). Must go watch episode 2 now!
  • Too many contrivances mar the final product

(Note: This review covers the first half of the two-hour season premiere event. The second half will be covered in a subsequent review.)

It's safe to say that the writers for "Heroes" had a tall order to fill coming into the third season. The second season was universally seen as a disappointment compared to the first season heights, relying more on repetition than innovation. To be honest, I only have the most vague recollection of the second season, and I have to wonder how many other fans feel the same way.

The writers don't bother with much of a recap; they jump right into the story by explaining the assassination attempt on Nathan Petrelli. I like the idea of Future Peter taking out his own brother to prevent the "hero holocaust", but it's another instance of repetition that could have gone badly. The difference is that Future Peter is still around as an active character, and an unusual one at that. Future Peter is actually a bit of a screw-up, which is a nice touch. He's apparently not smart enough to realize that he has a lot more power than Nathan, and killing him privately would have been a lot easier than killing him publicly!

Conceptually, the story is very familiar, especially to comic book fans. Future Peter's side of the storyline is very similar to the "Days of Future Past" arc of "X-Men" fame, in terms of his plan to jump into the past to prevent an apocalyptic future. It's also very reminiscent of elements of the series "The 4400". So it may seem fresh to some, but overly familiar to longtime genre fans.

Future Peter's arrival is just one element that sets a chaotic state of affairs in motion. Other elements were already in the process of unfolding. Hiro's bizarre decision to ignore his father's instructions, thereby making it possible for the wrong people to get their hands on that hidden half of "the formula", is just plain silly. It was a blatant plot convenience, and even acknowledging that Hiro is often cast as the comic relief, I can't believe he'd be that stupid.

The revelation regarding Ando is a lot more interesting, because it's not necessarily what it seems. Everything in that glimpse of the future is designed to make Ando look evil for wanting the formula. But who's to say that Hiro isn't the one who goes rogue in the future? An awful lot of context is missing. One thing, however, seems clear: those without powers in the first two seasons don't look to stay that way for long.

That said, Mohinder's decision to inject himself with the adrenaline-laced version of the metahuman serum (promicin, anyone?) was reckless, to say the least. It does propel Mohinder on a very different path, but why would he toss caution to the wind in such cavalier fashion? It felt like another instance of plot convenience. (Never mind that Mohinder is now drooling all over Maya, who is less annoying than in the second season, but still seems like cannon fodder. Besides, what would Matt Parkman think of this development?)

That said, it is interesting to know that the coming apocalypse is not just due to Nathan's decision to "out" the metahumans. It's the combination of several pieces of the same puzzle. One might argue that even had Nathan died, Hiro would have still released the formula and Mohinder would still have created the metahuman serum. Had Future Peter successfully killed Nathan, would it have been even more of a disaster? Given the endless warnings of Earth-shattering peril, maybe not so much!

Sylar was billed as the ultimate villain in the first season, and his return was portentous in the second. How ironic that "saving the cheerleader", the stated goal of the first season, is rendered completely moot in the third season premiere? Way to undercut your best season, folks! We finally get confirmation that Sylar is not, in fact, eating brains, but rather studying how the metahuman brains work (something I've been saying for quite some time). I'm actually more interested in the revelation that the Bennetts have a super-secure kitchen pantry. Sylar's telekinetic powers were no match for those wooden slats!

All of these items touch on the inexplicable, as the writers reboot the series a bit to get things back on track. Two additional elements, however, come right out of Bizzaro World. The whole Nikki/Jessica dynamic has been tossed aside in favor of Ali Larter's confusing portrayal of a governer's aide and mistress named Tracy Saunders. This latest development doesn't seem to fit at all (unless the writers were just looking for a way to keep Ali Larter around).

Then there's the apparent revelation that Linderman was never truly killed at the end of the first season. I, for one, don't buy it. Nathan is already showing some serious instability with his assumption that his resurrection was a gift from God. The evidence is pointing to an unforeseen healing ability (since he recovered from two apparently fatal situations in the last two premieres), which might explain something about Claire. What if the Petrellis are descendants of Adam Monroe? In fact, what if all the metahumans can trace their abilities back to Adam?

There are plenty of good possibilities for the future, but that has always been the case for "Heroes". The trick is to escape the growing sentiment that "Heroes" was a one-season wonder. The writers need to take this season into uncharted territory (at least, in terms of the series' own territory). So far, this season premiere shows promise, but the writers are relying on a ton of questionable plot contrivances to make that move.
1 2 3