Heroes

(Volume Three: Villains) The Second Coming

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Sep 22, 2008 on NBC

• My first thoughts after part one of the premiere? Now, that's how you bring a show back! Needless to say, I was wide-eyed and flabbergasted after the opening scenes…and it wasn't the last time.

WARNING: Spoilers contained within

Season two of Heroes suffered from the same fate that haunted all of TV land last year: the dreaded WGA strike. Volume two had it's moments to be sure, but seemed to fall short of the lofty mark set by the electrifying first season of Heroes. It has been nine long months since Volume two came to a close making this season three premier one of the highest anticipated TV events in history. Capitalizing on the hype and expectations, NBC pulled out the stops with a one hour red carpet pre-show and a two hour premiere. From one geek to another let me just say that the wait was absolutely worth every agonizing minute. My first thoughts after part one of the premiere? Now, that's how you bring a show back! This episode was jammed pack with crazy plot twists, startling revelations, and intense storytelling. From the opening frame we are brought back to the elements that made season one so groundbreaking and addicting. Of course all of our favorite characters are back and even some very interesting new ones join the cast. The episode opens right where Powerless left off and we are immediately treated to a shocking reveal that spins the series into a whole new direction. Needless to say, I was wide-eyed and flabbergasted after the opening scenes…and it wasn't the last time. In typical Heroes fashion we are left with countless questions to keep us coming back for answers. What exactly happens in the future to cause Peter to come back? Is this the same future Peter from season one? What is up with Claire and just how special is she? What exactly is this new formula Hiro has to protect? And there is the new character, Tracy Strauss (played by Ali Larter). Who? What? How? I was very pleased to find out that Nathan does survive and I can't wait to see how his new storyline develops. Is Nathan really a man of faith now or is he just losing his mind? What exactly is Mohinder's new ability? The questions just don't end.

Both Adrian Pasdar (Nathan) and Milo Ventimiglia (Peter) bring the strongest performances as they both take their characters in new directions. Christine Rose (Angela Petrelli) is a strong addition as a cast regular this season which will only add to the mystery and conspiracy surrounding her character. Hayden Panettiere and Zachary Quinto also bring us one of the more entertaining and memorable Heroes scenes as Sylar and Claire come face to face for the first time since season one. The Second Coming wondrously sets the stage for the intrigue that is sure to come as each new chapter of Villains unfurls. While this first episode doesn't overload us with information or moments of shock and awe, it does give us just enough to prove that Volume 3 is going to be stunning to say the least. Tim Kring and NBC have given the fans just what they deserve. Heroes is back and better than ever!