Heroes

(Volume Three: Villains) The Second Coming

Aired Monday 9:00 PM Sep 22, 2008 on NBC

• Not horrible, but also not successful at reinvigorating the series.

4.5
    After a Season 2 which felt like a dull retread of Season 1, I had been hoping for a fresh start to Season 3 which would rekindle my interest in the show, based on the interviews I had read about this upcoming volume. But it felt like the same old thing, not any different from the episodes of last season.

None of the characters have been given memorable storylines in the small portion of the show allotted to them. While the prospect of Ando conflicting with Hiro in the future is intriguing, I don't look forward to a tiresome storyline of Hiro chasing the irritating thief for a formula he should never have taken out of the safe. The most disappointing part is that Hiro and Ando didn't make me laugh, when I could always count on them for comic relief.

Instead of Hiro stuck in feudal Japan, there's Matt stuck in Africa. Instead of Nikki or Gina, there's a brand new persona. Instead of New York being destroyed, it's Tokyo. And there's also Sylar outsmarting our "heroes", now even worse since he can't be injured. By the end of the episode, he is again in the facility and you have to wonder when he will escape yet again to assemble the army of villains that Mrs. Petrelli sees in her dream.

I'm glad Nathan didn't die, but it is a bit much to see him, Nikki and Mr. Linderman back, even though he clearly died in Season 1. With everyone pretty much helpless in this show, no wonder the world is threatening to end every year. While I'll continue to watch, it is difficult to care anymore since it's always the same threat, always the same villain, and always the same sense of replay when you watch this show.