Hex Forums

Sky1 (ended 2005)

Buffy, Charmed or Hex ?

DE1979

[81]May 15, 2007
    • level: 8
    Buffy all the way!  It's one of the only tv series that i have actually gone out and brought the DVD's for
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

michael_LB92

[82]Jun 1, 2007
    • level: 24
    I don't think Charmed or Hex could ever meet the standards of Buffy. No way.

michael_LB92

[83]Jun 1, 2007
    Btw, bonniekean and electricpeppers - I agree with both of your posts to a degree.
    Hex was handled very poorly in some areas, such as explaining things, but it was very dark, and interesting. And, Charmed season five + was AWFUL. No exaggeration. AWFUL.
    I don't understand how some people managed to think that Charmed is better than either shows. Maybe seasons 1-3 were, but they were still pretty cheesy.
    I hate cheesiness!
    Hex had no cheesy moments, Buffy had very little cheesy moments - but Charmed just cheesed their cheesy selves out.
    It's like Brad Kern said: "How can I make this show cheesy as possible? Why don't I put some cheeses in charge of directing this episode!?"
    OK, now I'm getting a bit overboard with the cheese, but I'm just trying to get across just how cheesy Charmed is, for anyone who hasn't seen it!

PiperPrueLover4 wrote:
    There is no contest here! At all! Charmed first, then Hex a close second. Buffy just was never ever good. Ever. And as for Supernatural... don't even get me started on that crap!

Hahaha a lot of you are saying Charmed was crap, yet it outlasted both the others! Awww I just realised all three have ended now so there is nothing more magical

I completely disagree with everything you just said. But hey, it is just my opinion.
    1.) Buffy, then Charmed seasons 1-3, then Hex, then Charmed seasons 4+.
    2.) Buffy was always good. There were times when it was great, and times when it was good, but there was never a time when Buffy was "not good. Ever."
    3.) Supernatural is good.
    4.) IMO Charmed may have stayed around longer, but at least Hex and Buffy didn't overstay their welcome. At least Buffy was able to remain continuity, at least Buffy's finale wasn't "cheap" where they just fastfoward to the future, at least Buffy doesn't repeat storylines over and over and over and over, at least Buffy is original, at least Buffy's creative consultants aren't five year olds demanding more fairy and leprachaun episodes. I could go on listing the reasons why I think Buffy is so much better than Charmed, but then nobody would read this message cause it's way too long.

WiccanRock

[84]Jun 2, 2007
    • level: 1
    Buffy is the best written show of it's genre. You care about the characters. Nothing better than a Super strong, beautiful heroine who can show emotion, weakness and vulnerability to her friends. Charmed is my second choice. I just like the sisters and their bond. The show also did good research in the Wiccan department. I did get bored when all the magic school and Leprechaun stuff came in, but never gave up on those beautiful women. HEX....needs Help. I don't know if it's a British thing, but let's have some real emotion. Make us like the characters. Stop stealing from Buffy! Make this show your own......come on now, I know you can do it mates! P.S. The horrible haircuts, makeup and costumes on HEX......The Heroines hair is the worst.  Not sexy AT ALL, and her "ala" Buffy witty lines while facing the monsters are really bad.  Again, maybe just a British thing or plain old bad delivery.
    Edited on 06/02/2007 9:16am

Robbieboyagain

[85]Jun 8, 2007
    • level: 6
    Hex was brilliant i thought, until the 2nd half of season 2 and the finale was weak because they though they where comming back for a 3rd season. The making of HEX aired on skyone and the producers even said that Hex was here to stay, so they musta been shocked when the ratings fell and they where cancelled. The thing is with Hex, Evil always won in Hex. Charmed and Buffy, Good won... With Hex, evil won, it won in the season 1 finale and all the way through to the season 2 finale.

Shana868

[86]Jun 18, 2007
    • level: 40
    quote12 wrote:

Yes in terms of the reasoning to get rid of Cassie, and you'll notice that even on this website, it's Christina Cole's picture that dominates. While Laura Pyper was quite good, and the transition was handled as well as could be expected under the circumstances, Cole's departure still undermined the entire set-up of the series.

Otherwise, Charisma69's comments are right on point. With the possible exception of the middle half of season 6, BTVS was brilliant and inventive. Charmed was entertaining but fairly fluffy. Hex was derivative but well-presented. The comparison shows how difficult it is to write for episodic television. Joss Wheedon and company were the only ones able to sustain quality over a long period.

Sorry if I seem like I'm being fussy just for the sake of it, but I just wanted to point out that I doubt tv.com banners really hold much significance; the majority of banners have remained the same since tv.com was started/ programs added. There are plenty of old banners which don't reflect the modern/later stages of a show in every program forum

Spike_Fan_91827

[87]Jun 26, 2007
    • level: 15
    Out of those three, Buffy definitely tops the rest. I would say Charmed would come next, and then Hex. However, if Supernatural was added to the mix, it would be an entirely different story, (sorry, but it's my favorite show; I felt obligated to add it).
    Edited on 06/26/2007 9:43am

LARCHRIS

[88]Jul 19, 2007
    • level: 1
    Buffy was the first of its kind and most everything else is compared to it. I can't count the number of times I was watching something(even shows like 7th Heaven-have you seen the musical episode...yech!) and said "Buffy did it first and better". Having said that, I think Hex did a great job on its' own. Yeah, I guess it borrowed from Buffy sometimes,but there's not a single show out there that hasn't. The twist of killing off the main character and leaving her dead , only to replace her with a fresh main character was an interesting move. In my eyes this gives Hex a slight edge.So. #1 Hex, #2 Buffy...there are no others in my book.

len90

[89]Jul 22, 2007
    • level: 12

WELL...

BUFFY was always really good...can't say anything else, well-written, good actors....maybe I can say that season 2 & 3 were my favs...

CHARMED was the frist I saw out of the three...I used to be a huge fan of it...until season 5 which one was unwatchable (exept on episode 5x20 - Sense & Sensability), season 6 was just ok, season 7 was faboulous like old Charmed but something brand new in the storyline and season 8 was unwatchable again...sometimes everything seemed to be really childish...sorry

HEX I've just seen the first episode (twice) and I can say I'm really getting in it. Dark, mystery but lovely, waiting for more (it just started to air in Hungary in May or June on AXN and I just caught the repaits on Friday)...

So I can't really choose, after 1 episode HEX is beetween BUFFY (#1) and CHARMED (#2) but it can go up and down...

Dodson1005

[90]Jul 24, 2007
    • level: 2
    i thought it was a rip off too but when you start watching it you see that its not.

sweet_em

[91]Jul 26, 2007
    • level: 26
    Buffy by far is the best then it's really a toss up between Charmed and Hex. They both had good points and bad points, but neither one of them is close to Buffy at all.

jadetuana

[92]Jul 29, 2007
    • level: 3
    I loved all of them but I think Buffy was better till Angel's left.While Cole-Phobe thing was on air,it was sooo good.But still Buffy was the best

michael_LB92

[93]Aug 2, 2007
    7th Heaven had a musical?

TVFanatic89

[94]Aug 12, 2007
    • level: 4

i love all three shows, have watched charmed and hex from the beginning. while they are all shows dealing with the supernatural they are very hard to compare:

hex dealt with the religiousside (the fallen), was not given much of a chance

buffy mostly with vampires, remained the same throughout, but started to go downhill towards the end, then ended leaving you to wonder what happened next

charmed with everything other than vampires, got better after season 3 then ended with no lose ends

all three shows showed females in a strong leading role which is one of the things that makes them all so great

smallville2k7

[95]Aug 17, 2007
    • level: 14

i'd have to go

1. Charmed

2. Buffy

3. Hex

in that order

hollacious

[96]Sep 20, 2007
    • level: 18
    I don't think you can in any way compare the three shows! They all deal with the supernatural true... but they are all completely different from one another, I have been a buffy and a charmed fan from the beginning but they're definately not in the same league as each other.

I've only just started getting into Hex since I borrowed the boxsets of a friend and I really can't see why it got such bad reviews it's a brilliant show, and I'm almost finished watching them now and they're good! When Cassie died the series completely changed and freshened it up, it didn't quite feel like the same show to me anymore but it was still good (much like charmed after prue's death)

Julzii0

[97]Apr 24, 2008
    • level: 6
    Well its buffy me...charmed eh.. i think it was borin..hex just hated that it ended grr..

teylarocks

[98]May 3, 2008
    • level: 7

A TIE BETWEEN HEX AND BUFFY. I LOVE THE IDEA OF HEX AND BUFFY IS JUST FAB BY ITSELF BUT I CAN NOT STAND CHARMED ANYMORE I HAVE UP 2 SEASON 4 BUT I JUST WENT OFF IT.

SerenaDragonfly

[99]May 21, 2008
    • level: 4
    As much as I adore Hex, I have to go with Buffy. Hex was great and could have been better if it kept going, but it ended way ahead of its time. Buffy had more time to unravel and create its own world. Charmed on the other hand is no competition. Really Charmed doesn't even qualify as something good for me. Charmed started out quite promising, even after Prue died the show still managed to carry on and be pretty good, but after Leo became an elder and divorced Piper it went downhill. I'm not saying thats why it went bad, I'm just saying thats when it went bad. The show got way too cheesy and also kind of cheap, and the last season was total crap, having all Paige and Phoebe conveniently finding their true loves before season's end.

addict666

[100]May 25, 2008
    • level: 45

Despite the base similarity between the shows, Charmed was really not going for the same thing that Hex and Buffy were and I feel like Buffy was camp whereas Hex was melodrama. Personally I'd have to go with Buffy, but I also loved Charmed for very different reasons. Hex, needed a lot of work in my mind.