TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Hey Hey! It's Saturday Forums

Saturday 8:30 AM on The Nine NetworkIn Season

Hey Hey! you're in trouble..

kateoshea

[1]Oct 7, 2009
    • level: 8

There has been a lot of attention today on the Jackson Jive Red Faces sketch that appeared on the Hey Hey! It's Saturday reunion special last night.

Read the whole story: http://www.tv.com/story/18691.html.

What did you think of the Jackson Jive sketch?

Post your thoughts below and don't forget to vote in the poll: http://au.tv.com/#poll

Edited on 10/08/2009 4:09pm
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

griz72

[2]Oct 7, 2009
    • level: 9
    it probably wouldn't have caused a blip if Harry Connick Jr didn't say something

seaqueastdsv

[3]Oct 8, 2009
    • level: 12
    it was done in poor taste

PiperPrueLover4

[4]Oct 8, 2009
    • level: 18
    I think the whole show was moronic, and should never have been brought back. That's 6 hours of my life I'll never get back (my family were watching it).

laffertyluver

[5]Oct 8, 2009
    • level: 15
    I agree with Griz72, and would it have been such a big deal if Michael Jackson hadn't died?

barbie667

[6]Oct 8, 2009
    • level: 3
    I think everyone is missing the point of that sketch it was in no was raciest! Harry whats his face is just having moan (he too has been on TV wearing black face paint!) 20 years ago when the sketch was done those guys were medical students and now they are all doctors! well done guys!

LSyd

[7]Oct 8, 2009
    • level: 17
    barbie667 wrote:
    I think everyone is missing the point of that sketch it was in no was raciest!

I think the problem is not so much "racism", but it being in extremely poor taste. There is a difference between pretending to be black and giving a performance which, to people in areas like southern USA, is reminiscent of performances in that part of the country which were intended, for the most part, to specifically make fun of black people in an extremely horrible way, and quite understandably, many Americans are quite embarrassed about that part of their history, so to see people in other countries appearing to mimic it (whether or not they intended to offend people, or whether that was their intent) would be rather infuriating, I would have thought. Especially for people who put a lot of effort into eliminating the kind of racism that this particular sketch brings back memories of.

And the fact that they graduated to become doctors in no way excuses them of anything either.

JanetMitchell

[8]Oct 8, 2009
    • level: 1
    I am totally annoyed that 'normal' white people can make fun of politicians - ie Saturday night live skits with sarah paulin yet we are not able to dress and 'act' like ethnic people. Harry Connick Jr needs to reevaluate his take on 'humour' and relax. No offence was meant.

MandyHazelhurst

[9]Oct 8, 2009

Hey! Hey! is no way in trouble with true Australians! Why do I say that? because we true Australians have humour not just judgement.

This skit was not intended to offend, what did offend was a visitor to our country "Harry Connick Jr" dictating to us! on how to behave with their! sensitive issues.

I believe Daryl should never of apologised, beause it gave Harry statue, and he doesn't deserve to have that. Ask the Americans and the English, " have they never put black paint on and portrayed someone, whether on T.V. or film" ie.( Al Jolson.). I don't like the way the View has portrayed that there dark skinned peoples plight was worst than any one elses. Don't point the finger! cause there's always 3 pointing back! I love Hey! Hey! and was so excited when I knew it was returning, then we get some American come and threaten to shut our! show down! I say shut him down!

Then we have "Kamal" now complaining about the racial abuse for many years! I've got to say how bad was it? he stayed around for many years and accepted it! so it couldn't have been to bad. Maybe things are a bit quiet for these to men and they will say and do anything to get their face in the media. Two very sad souls. We opened our arms out to Kamal and this is how we Australians get thanked.

Oh! well I hope the Australians have the say on whether it stays on, not some visiting American or any other country! This is our country! This is our show!

Go! Hey Hey!

Mandy.

MandyHazelhurst

[10]Oct 8, 2009
    Absolutely! and he wants to remember he's a visitor!. I just wrote some comment on here hopefully will get some response. We Hey Hey ausies have to stand together Hey?
    Mandy.

MandyHazelhurst

[11]Oct 8, 2009
    They didn't mind throwing black paint on when they portrayed Al Jolson!

MandyHazelhurst

[12]Oct 8, 2009
    Your absolutely right it's not about rascism it's about some poor person that can't let go and will use any medium they can to continue the rift that still goes on today. If the person pointing the finger is innocent of any behavior like that, whether it be with paint on their face, or words out of their mouth, then maybe there's a point, but I doubt that would be. I'm tire of Ausies being ridiculed by mostly the Americans about rascism, get over it stop making problems the black majority aren't it's always a white man talking out. Sorry but I still say they're are the trouble makers of this world.It was a funny skit people can be small minded and make out of it what they want but keep it to themselves. Every country has this problem! not just America.

MandyHazelhurst

[13]Oct 8, 2009
    Pipertruelover4, I can't believe people like you! why did you watch it. what tied to the sofa?

MandyHazelhurst

[14]Oct 8, 2009
    I agree with you Barbie667, Fantastic to know we have doctors out there with a sense of humor to.

MandyHazelhurst

[15]Oct 8, 2009
    So what your saying is, if someone wants to dress up like some one else ie, Elvis ( A fat Elvis ) then you would be upset because it's poor taste. I don't think so I think you would look at it for what it was really done for, Fun! and you would've enjoyed it maybe even sang along. They did nothing offensive and nothing wrong just went on a talent show! I think sensitive people shouldn't watch T.V.

MandyHazelhurst

[16]Oct 8, 2009
    Yeah! you are the man! absolutely he's seeking attention sales must be down. LOL!

bloodties08

[17]Oct 9, 2009
    • level: 2
    I can understand why peoplemy feel insulted by this skit, but it is a joke, nothing more. The whole point of HEY HEY ITS SATURDAY is to be funny, and that was the intention of the skit, it should be considered racist. And shame on the media for pumping up the publicity of this incident and making it into something it's not, and trying to give all Australians a bad name. For Shame.

bloodties08

[18]Oct 9, 2009
    • level: 2
    I totally agree with MandyHazelhurst. Long Live HEY HEY!

LSyd

[19]Oct 9, 2009
    • level: 17
    MandyHazelhurst wrote:
    So what your saying is, if someone wants to dress up like some one else ie, Elvis ( A fat Elvis ) then you would be upset because it's poor taste. I don't think so I think you would look at it for what it was really done for, Fun! and you would've enjoyed it maybe even sang along. They did nothing offensive and nothing wrong just went on a talent show! I think sensitive people shouldn't watch T.V.

Try to keep it all in one post, and make it clear who you're talking to kthxbai.

Mate, maybe you should look up the details as to why this particular sketch was considered "offensive" by HCJ. There is nothing inherently offensive about dressing up with somebody, alive or dead, or making fun of their prominent features. The problem with this particular sketch is that it's particularly reminiscent of the "blackface" acts that were common in the US up until around the 1950s and are still a sore spot over there. Unfortunately, this sketch contained the important features of such a performance - white people made up to look like blacks singing. Australians don't have that history, thankfully, but imagine what it would be like to be someone who grew up with that kind of stuff around them and I'm sure you'd agree that you wouldn't want people in other countries throwing it in your face.

And as for your remarks about Australians "opening their arms" to these people, fine. But if we, as Australians, cause problems needlessly, why should they have to put up with it? The sorts of things that people like Kamahl put up with are caused mostly by Australians who don't have open arms, they have closed minds. Surely we should be doing something about those people, rather than sticking "Love it or Leave it" stickers on the back of our cars, because if we want people to actually like us, then we actually have to make the effort to be nice. Most of the people who act like complete fools do it to other Australians as well as people from other countries, and as long as we just take the view that people don't have to stay in our country if they've got problems and that's that, then people are not going to think any better of us, and we're not going to sort out the idiots either. If we want to be seen as kind, generous and welcoming people, then we actually have to be kind, generous and welcoming, rather than embarrassing and offending our guests and looking the other way when they complain about it because "we're Australian".

stevie_3_2_1

[20]Oct 9, 2009
    • level: 5

LSyd wrote:
    Unfortunately, this sketch contained the important features of such a performance - white people made up to look like blacks singing.

I think most people missed the part that the 6 guys aren't white... They are a minority group themselves that are poorly impersonated daily by people in general public (of Indian background I believe)... So all this controversy about white guys dressing up as a blackface routine is quite funny when they're not white...

Harry Connick Jr + Kamahl are failing artists that need to stir controversy to gain a heads up and some air-time before they become the washed up stars they're pretending they're not... Much like the Lady Gaga stint - This is a pro-publicity tool to get people talking (Hey it made it to America - I bet HCJ's record sales just got boosted in half of USA - from people that never knew he existed )... At the end of the day I guess it's ok for Harry to play a black man in a variety show but not ok for 6 doctors to dress the part...