H.G. Wells' Invisible Man

ITV (ended 1959)

Gislef

H.G. Wells' Invisible Man Fan Reviews (1)

6.8
  • Remarkably enjoyable for the time it was produced

Although my all-time favorite version of the Invisible Man is the David McCallum series but this British version comes in at a very close second. For one thing, it's because of its half-hour format which makes each episode very tightly paced.
    One characteristic which makes this version closer to the H.G. Wells novel than the McCallum version is the protagonist Peter Brady's continual and necessary use of bandages. Also for this reason is why I had confused it with the other British series of the Invisible Man which had just six episodes and was an adaptation of the original novel by H.G. Wells. At this point,I notice that tv.com has Not included that six-part Mini-series as yet.
    Astonishingly, the Mini-series adaptation surpassed the Claude Rains' Invisible Man because the tv-adaptation included the flashback. That flashback is very important because it contains the Origin of John Griffin, that is, how he developed his invisibility in the first place. Apparently, a Six-part Mini-series has an advantage over a theatrical movie in that a tv version can include so much detail.

The big difference between the Mini-series and the Brady tv-series is that John Griffin is a maniac whereas Brady works on the side of the law. Interesting that the concept of a superhero has developed from what was originally a "monster." Sometimes, though, I try to console myself by rationalizing that the original John Griffin's criminal-behavior can be excused by having it explained as insanity. At least in the Claude Rains' movie, his behavior was accounted for by the drug Monocaine. That coupled with the fact that his continual use of bandages in the early goings-on made him appear very strange, which then made the normal people persecute him. Eventually it was that persecution which must have provoked him, infuriated him. Then, in his infuriation, he lashed out in what he felt constituted self-defense against those who persecute him. Ironically, his invisibilty was both the cause of his persecution as well as his self-defense.