Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi

Soap Box Derby / Talent Suckers Return / Prisoners of Yoyovia

Aired Friday 3:00 AM Nov 25, 2005 on Cartoon Network

7.7
  • This was a donut episode-it had a hole in the middle

The second season of Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi lands with something of the thud thanks to the second episode, where Ami appear for about three seconds and the rest of the cast don't appear at all.
    The first episode "Soap Box Derby" was good once you get over the idea that Ami is still upset over losing a soap box derby race to some cheating kids years ago, and that you can run a gas powered car in a soap box derby and no one would notice. In other words, its completely silly but it stands up and says its silly.
    The cartoon reminded me of something out of Jay Ward the way it had Kaz talking about how they were characters on a TV show- and there is a great gag involving Ami's use of the old adage "two wrongs don't make a right".
    The middle cartoon was "Talent Suckers Return" and it's all about the Talent Suckers from the first season. They play a concert and are so bad they don't get paid- in fact the arena owner (who seems to be a characteriture of somebody- I just don't know who) tells them they owe HIM money. So they go to work backstage at the arena- and they're just as incompentant at that. Talent Suckers remind me a lot of the Dingbats from the old Heathcliff cartoon of the 80's. I didn't like the Dingbats either. I hope the Talent suckers go back to Slovakia.
    The final cartoon gives us Ami and Yumi
    (thankfully) doing a concert in Yoyovia and being made honorary citizens. Turns out citizens of Yoyovia have it rough: the king gets to take your possessions, and you have to work manual labor for him, and Ami and Yumi are no exception. I'm not a big fan of episodes where they go to oddball lands- but this wasn't bad