TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Hidden Palms Forums

The CW (ended 2007)

The Offical Second Chances(Series Finale) Thread

degrassi_lover

[1]Jul 4, 2007
    • level: 21

Discuss the series finalé here

Johnny and Cliff have to work together to help find Eddie's laptop which means Cliff must befriend Maria once more. Liza discovers shocking evidence.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

1treehillfan

[2]Jul 4, 2007
    • level: 45
    I cant wait to watch it, I wont have a chance to watch it tonite I have to record it and watch tommorow. I cant wait to see what really happened to Eddie!!!!

asutho

[3]Jul 4, 2007
    • level: 17
    i hope it doesn't have a cliffhanger

Firetears

[4]Jul 4, 2007
    • level: 23
    Well, it sort-of left on a cliffhanger. Let's just say it closed one gate and opened another.

SecFruit_Brucas

[5]Jul 4, 2007
    • level: 16
    Yeah, I liked it but its over

toxic_boy21

[6]Jul 4, 2007
    • level: 13
    no closure whatsoever.
    weird

txgirl75

[7]Jul 4, 2007
    that's a bad thing about getting hooked on shows it doesn't make it past a season.

Vital_Shot

[8]Jul 4, 2007
    • level: 25
    Yeah, the ending, wasn't a really good series finalle kind of ending. We already knew Cliff's Mom and Gretta's dad had to do something when she said "I sacrificed my son for you!". It wasn't a big shocker. It only left me confused and it didn't meet up to the standards I wanted it to. Most of the episode was predictable, even the Cliff and Nikki thing, the episode is called 'Second Chances' come on. IF this show wasn't cancelled, I could see potential in a second season.

loveONETREEHILL

[9]Jul 4, 2007
    • level: 8

so the reason skip and maria had to kill eddie was because he knew about the two of them?

so really what does cliff sleeping with maria have to do with it? honestly, it was sort of strange that maria killed herself. i thought she would be brave enough to stand up to skip. but then again that man is crazy with a gun so i guess not.

it was okay. i'm glad the mystery's solved, but what does that say about johnny? what was all the snooping for? NOTHING. liza maybe, because she was in love with eddie. but for johnny? he didn't know any of these people. isn't it worse now that he knows skip did it and that skip is still alive? i guess that was when 2nd season was supposed to pave in.

Firetears

[10]Jul 5, 2007
    Johnny made it clear that solving that mystery would make him feel as if he got answers for his father's death as well. How? I don't know, but my dad never killed himself so...

Sledge42

[11]Jul 5, 2007
    • level: 3
    I'm writing this out as much for myself as anyone, so please feel free to point out mistakes. Here's how it seemed to go down:

Skip and Maria plotted to finish off Greta's mom because Skip couldn't deal with her lingering illness. He made promises to Maria that they would be together afterward, but was actually just using her. Maria used her friendship with Greta's mom to somehow hasten her demise while Skip was out of town.

Some time later, Eddie discovers what Skip and Maria did. He probably heard Maria yelling at Skip about his broken promises. He is torn up because he can't tell Greta without giving up his own mother. The big red-herring is Greta and Cliff's one night fling, simultaneous with Eddie and Liza's fling. Neither of those occurrences is adequately explained, but it's pretty easy to imagine Eddie may have pushed Greta away because he couldn't tell her about her mom's death. Cliff steps in to comfort Greta, and Liza steps in to comfort Eddie, for whom she had a huge crush.

As the video at the end of the final episode showed, Skip ended up killing Eddie, then made it look like a suicide. Because of Maria's involvement with the death of Greta's mom, she couldn't do a thing about it.

Cliff and Greta have different memories of the night of Eddie's death. Since neither of the was guilty, there may have been some other unexplained factor there. At any rate, Greta finds Eddie, Cliff finds Greta holding Eddie, and Greta bolts. They don't tell the police because they don't want to admit to leaving the scene, nor to the affair they had. Cliff helps Greta by helping her keep it a secret, but his darker side makes him keep the dress instead of burning it like he said he would. Another red herring that we eventually must dismiss as Cliff being a dark soul.

A year later Johnny shows up and figures everything out with Liza. Maria can't deal with everything anymore and kills herself after sending Johnny the video of Eddie's death. We are left to assume that Johnny turns it over to the police, but if there had been another season it probably would have been more complicated.

Side-plots: Maria seduces her son's best friend, a minor red herring. Karen and Bob have marital problems. Tess has boyfriend problems. Nikki has boyfriend and drinking problems.

Did I get everything? Please respond if you disagree or if I missed something big. I actually enjoyed the show. Too many red herrings, but that happens in big mystery stories.

Sledge42

[12]Jul 5, 2007
    Firetears wrote:
    Johnny made it clear that solving that mystery would make him feel as if he got answers for his father's death as well. How? I don't know, but my dad never killed himself so...

I don't think Johnny ever said that. Other people claimed that was the reason he was investigating Eddie's death, but Johnny always seemed to be in it for the mystery, right along with we the viewers.

Firetears

[13]Jul 5, 2007
    Sledge42 wrote:
    Firetears wrote:

I don't think Johnny ever said that. Other people claimed that was the reason he was investigating Eddie's death, but Johnny always seemed to be in it for the mystery, right along with we the viewers.

He told it to Maria during their little conversation. Plus, in the end when Cliff asks him does the solved mystery help him about his father's suicide, where he shakes his head and the show fall into another cycle of melancholic montages.

Anyway, your post is pretty accurate to me and it could clear a lot of things. Especially how you pieced together the fact that he pushed Greta to the side because he couldn't deal with knowing the secret(which explains that video Greta cries over often) and how Liza comforts him while Cliff comforts Greta.

Sledge42

[14]Jul 5, 2007
    Firetears wrote:
    He told it to Maria during their little conversation.

I think that was a line of baloney. He was trying to give her a rational explanation other than "I think someone killed your son and I'm dying to find out who it was."

I think the reason didn't respond to Cliff at the end is because he was never looking for that. Just my interpretation.

CTU81

[15]Jul 5, 2007
    Sledge42, nice recap. Thats pretty much what I got out of the plot.

I thought the show overall was pretty good and fun to watch. Its a good summer show that had a pretty good mystery.

I won't hold my breath for season 2 but the fact that Skip gets away with it is definitely what they wanted to use to setup a second season.

I enjoyed watching this show.

Smokey85

[16]Jul 5, 2007

First of all I don't know how much of the storyline of season 2 would of centered on the whole skip thing. The evidence Maria gave Johnny would not only be enough to get him put away for Eddies murder. They also would probably at least suspect that he killed Maria and made it look like a suicide as well. So it would basically be wrapped up in one episode unless Johnny began to blackmail him or something.

Anyways every episode of this show has always kept me guessing, has always done something I didn't expect. Well, I guess this episode is no different in it's own way. I didn't expect it to be so predictable, but it was..oh well.

I thought it was kind of stupid for Eddie to try and get into a wrestling match with a man holding a frickin gun.

degrassi_lover

[17]Jul 5, 2007
    • level: 21
    Wow! Now I'm trying to convince myself that its over, though another part of me thinks that its returning. Well that was a really good ending if it returned for a second season, but as the series finale it was awful. I love cliffhangers, but I don't like it when it isn't solved. Just like Popular. I was so mad when they cancelled it and it ended on a bad note.

RCS_sportz

[18]Jul 5, 2007
    • level: 31
    Does anyone know how many viewers the show got last night?

It was probably worse than normal because it was on July 4th.

toxic_boy21

[19]Jul 5, 2007
    • level: 13
    i think the problem was, there was no excitement, no danger, no climax. i got excited when maria died b/c i thought skip was in the house to try and kill liza. but nothing. that was the climax- seeing a dead body on the floor.

i personally wanted the killer to try and kill johnny. oh well.

Vital_Shot

[20]Jul 5, 2007

RCS_sportz wrote:
    Does anyone know how many viewers the show got last night? It was probably worse than normal because it was on July 4th.

Yep, 971,000 viewers. EEK.
    Source; Wikiepdia ---> Hidden Palms.
    Althought WIkiepedia isn't that much of a trusted source, that's the only site I can find that has information about the amount of veiwers.