Hidden Palms Forums

The CW (ended 2007)

The reasons why HP failed compared to other shows like it

dcreekpbreakoc

[1]Jul 7, 2007
    • level: 2

Okay well we look at The OC, Dawson's Creek and One Tree Hill.

All three of these shows were longlasting due to the fact they rapidly built up fans due to better promotions of the shows. They were landmark shows of their time as we had never seen anything else like it. These three shows had subplots within each episode which was inclusive of every chracter, so basically four different stories in one episode and of course better acting, tell me can you beat: Peter Gallagher, Ben Mckenzie, Adam brody, Mischa Barton, Rachel Bilson, Joshua Jackson, Katie Holmes, Chad Michael Murray and Sophia Bush.

Okay i really do like HP but you have to admit these other shows not only had orginality on their side but; great actors; subplots and character development.

HP unfortunately only had one big reveal and that was the big Eddie mystery which you have to admit is kind of a weak plot......

Please discuss.....

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

luvos_united

[2]Jul 7, 2007
    • level: 14
    Okay, Chad Michael Murray can't act... (This is coming from a HUGE OTH fan)

It's the greats like Paul Johansson and Moira Kelly that make OTH work because it has a perfect balance of dealing with the teens' problems as well as the adults'.

HP was kind of lacking the balance...

HP was badly advertised and dealt with... And it started when many other shows were ending - hence, the lack of viewers.

crazyhooligan9

[3]Jul 7, 2007
    • level: 11
    luvos_united wrote:
    Okay, Chad Michael Murray can't act... (This is coming from a HUGE OTH fan)

It's the greats like Paul Johansson and Moira Kelly that make OTH work because it has a perfect balance of dealing with the teens' problems as well as the adults'.

HP was kind of lacking the balance...

HP was badly advertised and dealt with... And it started when many other shows were ending - hence, the lack of viewers.

I agree. Chad really isn't such a great actor. And Sophia, well she plays **** and funny Brooke well, but she goes overboard on her emotional scenes. But anyway HP just failed b/c all the subplots had nothing to do with the 'big' mystery, so basically the show was a mystery with a few things thrown in there for shock value. i mean cliff kicking the dog? what did that do? showed he was psycho, but how did that tie in to the mystery? it didn't.

archangelcory16

[4]Jul 7, 2007
    • level: 32
    I think Hidden Palms also failed because it wasn't sure what it wanted to be - it wanted to be The O.C. meets Desperate Housewives, and a dark blend of those, but it failed to balance all that out. Kevin Williamson should have made it darker.

bkyle2429

[5]Jul 7, 2007
    • level: 15

crazyhooligan9 wrote:
    luvos_united wrote:
    Okay, Chad Michael Murray can't act... (This is coming from a HUGE OTH fan) It's the greats like Paul Johansson and Moira Kelly that make OTH work because it has a perfect balance of dealing with the teens' problems as well as the adults'. HP was kind of lacking the balance... HP was badly advertised and dealt with... And it started when many other shows were ending - hence, the lack of viewers.
    I agree. Chad really isn't such a great actor. And Sophia, well she plays **** and funny Brooke well, but she goes overboard on her emotional scenes. But anyway HP just failed b/c all the subplots had nothing to do with the 'big' mystery, so basically the show was a mystery with a few things thrown in there for shock value. i mean cliff kicking the dog? what did that do? showed he was psycho, but how did that tie in to the mystery? it didn't.

lets see for starters CMM and Sofia are awesome ( I totally love Brooke Davis great character Sofia play's her great)Paul and Moira I will agree on.

now on Hidden Palms, you need to have subplots to keep any show fresh, every character cant be tied up in the big mystery!! for example jeese joe he was awesome, basically the suplots keep a series going and if they are done right they become the main plot!! you cant do much with eight episodes the character building can be very weak plus the storyline can be rushed, which in the case was very very true. Hidden Palms had so much potential. I watched gilmore girls, oth, smallville and supernatural on the cw and for at least 5 weeks before hp premiere I saw alot of previews, so being badly addvertised I disagree with that point too!!

crazyhooligan9

[6]Jul 7, 2007
    • level: 11
    bkyle2429 wrote:

crazyhooligan9 wrote:
    luvos_united wrote:
    Okay, Chad Michael Murray can't act... (This is coming from a HUGE OTH fan) It's the greats like Paul Johansson and Moira Kelly that make OTH work because it has a perfect balance of dealing with the teens' problems as well as the adults'. HP was kind of lacking the balance... HP was badly advertised and dealt with... And it started when many other shows were ending - hence, the lack of viewers.

lets see for starters CMM and Sofia are awesome ( I totally love Brooke Davis great character Sofia play's her great)Paul and Moira I will agree on.

now on Hidden Palms, you need to have subplots to keep any show fresh, every character cant be tied up in the big mystery!! for example jeese joe he was awesome, basically the suplots keep a series going and if they are done right they become the main plot!! you cant do much with eight episodes the character building can be very weak plus the storyline can be rushed, which in the case was very very true. Hidden Palms had so much potential. I watched gilmore girls, oth, smallville and supernatural on the cw and for at least 5 weeks before hp premiere I saw alot of previews, so being badly addvertised I disagree with that point too!!

I never said CMM and SB were terrible, they just aren't that of great actors, and their acting isn't what makes the show. about HP. Yes, of course you need sub-plots. Like you said, you can't have everything tie in with one thing. But this show was mainly a mystery, the whole Eddie thing was the basis of the show. Each character was somehow connected to the murder, yet there was a bunch of this random crap that was just there to enlarge the mystery and make us 'ah in shock.' I dunno, i just didn't think the show was written with that much planning, and like someone said above, Kevin wasn't sure what he wanted the show to be. And yea the show was well advertised, so that can't be it - it's more because it aired over the summer.

FallOutGirl13

[7]Jul 8, 2007
    • level: 8
    Because the ratings were crap.

angrodpallanen

[8]Jul 8, 2007
    • level: 22
    It was too much. It was ANOTHER show that was set in a world where everything isn't as perfect as it looks, it was ANOTHER show that tried to have teenagers + adult lives, it was ANOTHER show that wanted to make music a big part of the show. Besides that, HP missed forms of originality. The drinkin' thing was awesome, a lot of things where, but the way they where handled was a mistake. Nikki's problem seemed to have vanished with Jessie Joe's help, Cliff was portraited as a big jerk and I couldn't feel sorry for him when he wanted Nikki back; they pushed his evil side too far. Eddie's murder was too cliche. Witnesses, false tracks, it was like you watched an long episode of CSI NY, and the team couldn't figure out how it wend because there was no frakin' evidence! The clues where all the same: video's and Liza. Twists like Liza making out with Eddie came too late and had nothing to do with the story. Johnny wasn't good in the detective work. And all of that combined, and you have a show that looks good on paper but is doomed to die very fast. I'm sorry, but I just can't have another show with sun, secrets and family problems. Give me a teenshow that has original things! Thank God GG is set in NY, though that only changes the sun thing and not the other parts.

lolipoper696

[9]Jul 8, 2007
    • level: 13
    i agree the show wasnt advertised well, my friends found out about the show from me after it ended.

lolipoper696

[10]Jul 8, 2007
    i agree the show wasnt advertised well, my friends found out about the show from me after it ended, and they are addicted to series

sean2evo

[11]Jul 9, 2007
    this show sucked... fullstop... Johnny was a complete and utter queef, bad character and bad actor. his mom was a weak character and his step dad was a total loser...

Tess was inane, cliff was ridiculous, nikki was ugly and irritating, liza should stfu, greta was lame (atleast she was amazingly hot though but then it just annoyed me when she would hook up with johnny..)

This show failed majorly on names... just the names of the characters in themselves were aweful, who calls a main character Johnny...etc.

SoylentYellow

[12]Jul 9, 2007
    • level: 21

sean2evo wrote:
    this show sucked... fullstop... Johnny was a complete and utter queef, bad character and bad actor. his mom was a weak character and his step dad was a total loser... Tess was inane, cliff was ridiculous, nikki was ugly and irritating, liza should stfu, greta was lame (atleast she was amazingly hot though but then it just annoyed me when she would hook up with johnny..) This show failed majorly on names... just the names of the characters in themselves were aweful, who calls a main character Johnny...etc.

LOL ! Well said.

dayspassions91

[13]Jul 11, 2007
    • level: 6

Here's my take: I agree with what many of you have said, I think HP failed simply 'cause it aired during the summer and that it was advertised poorly. I read at Wikipedia that it was originally supposed to start airing in March after Gilmore Girls (which I personally think would have been a good lead-in for the show), but it was replaced with Search for the Next Doll and HP was shelved until the summer. I think if HP had aired in March when new episodes of sitcoms and dramas are the main component of the primetime schedule and SFTND aired during the summer instead, seeing how the other big networks air reality shows during the summer months (a la America's Got Talent and So You Think You Can Dance), HP would have been at least a little more successful.

ramsfan920

[14]Jul 12, 2007
    • level: 38
    i dont understand why people come on here just to rate the episodes as 3's or 4's....do people honestly not have lives where they just purposely rate the episodes bad cause their precious god awful veronica mars got canned even though it lasted 3 seasons more than it should have

mossoholic

[15]Jul 12, 2007
    • level: 22

ramsfan920 wrote:
    i dont understand why people come on here just to rate the episodes as 3's or 4's....do people honestly not have lives where they just purposely rate the episodes bad cause their precious god awful veronica mars got canned even though it lasted 3 seasons more than it should have

It would be pretty difficult to make a decentargument for how Hidden Palms is a good show and Veronica Mars is, "god awful".

Edited on 07/12/2007 10:16pm

nda3183

[16]Jul 13, 2007
    • level: 3
    ramsfan920 wrote:

Actually, people give this show such bad reviews because it is a terrible show. The lead actor is awful, the plots are so contrived, and the so-called "downfalls" that some characters face are complete rip-offs of other shows. Take the black girl for instance (I can't remember her name right now), she inserts herself into a community where she is an outsider and then proceeds to wreak havoc because of her mental instability and addictions. This is a huge rip off of the Oliver character from the O.C. with the only changes being adding added breasts and color (something the unbelievably fair skinned cast could have used more of).

hahahannahaha

[17]Jul 14, 2007
    • level: 1

:
    Okay well we look at The OC, Dawson's Creek and One Tree Hill. All three of these shows were longlasting due to the fact they rapidly built up fans due to better promotions of the shows. They were landmark shows of their time as we had never seen anything else like it. These three shows had subplots within each episode which was inclusive of every chracter, so basically four different stories in one episode and of course better acting, tell me can you beat: Peter Gallagher, Ben Mckenzie, Adam brody, Mischa Barton, Rachel Bilson, Joshua Jackson, Katie Holmes, Chad Michael Murray and Sophia Bush. Okay i really do like HP but you have to admit these other shows not only had orginality on their side but; great actors; subplots and character development.

i'm sorry but i don't think you can call OTH "original", i mean i love the show myself, but as for original...

:
    This is a huge rip off of the Oliver character from the O.C. with the only changes being adding added breasts and color (something the unbelievably fair skinned cast could have used more of).

i find it weird that both "johnny" and "cliff" were in the O.C. and also, i think "greta" was in one of the episodes lol. 

i don't know why it got axed, just like i didn't know why V.Mars got axed either, but i can't believe what some other things they show like Studio 60; i tried getting into, but it was so dull! lol, i think another network should have bought both HP & VM lol. but i don't really know a lot about US networks (i'm from england)

xxloVEExx

[18]Nov 3, 2007

i think Johnny was a really weak main characther and i hated his personality

dont get me wrong i loved it but not Johnny

jra3209

[19]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 15
    They didn't have any type of teen drama storylines the realtionship between Greta and Johnny was finished after 3 or 4 episodes, they were together. The mystery needed to be pushed back a little and make it more teen drama and conect with teens that way instead of the big murder mystery.

Megaman200798

[20]Nov 7, 2007
    It was basically trying to combine all that in the hopes of attracting the typical teen